Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 5/29/17

Jaded
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Why no question to Chelsea about Philippine President Duterte twitter attack on her tweet commenting about his usage of the word rape?  It was this morning's news and would have been perfect timing.  Expected that to be asked but I guess that would take actual prep and take time away from the lame children's books pre-planned bit.  

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 4
(edited)

I remember way back then when Joy would toss out Monica jokes. But it was way back then.

I didn't like it either. LOL - Walters didn't either. That long ago.

No reason Chelsea should bash Trump - and she was on the show to promote her book. A book about women that as girls believed they could do anything. And did. I love I have 2 nieces that learned that early! And really appreciate how Hillary and Chelsea promote young women. 

I like their views although I do watch a lot of news shows daily. Seems to me this is not one overall with all the other topics, and guests, and selling, and entertainment they highlight.

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 5
(edited)
13 hours ago, susieq147 said:

Can anyone tell me what appeal Jedi has?

She can be used as an example of why you should NOT over-do your makeup.

5 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I didn't notice anything off between Chelsea and Joy? Maybe I should re-watch to see if I missed something. That would surprise me, actually

Joy did her "children's books"  thing, and Chelsea seemed uncomfortable.  

Remember, that Joy spent YEARS (maybe decades) doing Monica Lewinsky jokes.  I imagine having her father's infidelity used as a punchline over and over again might have left Chelsea a bit wounded. 

Also - every time Chelsea makes a political comment, people jump on it as evidence that she wants to run for office.  I think she's trying to stay out of the trump bashing for very good reason.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 5

I like Chelsea, always have. But today she was reserved. I don't see her as stiff, but self-protective. (After all, she has seen both her parents disparaged and raked over the coals her whole life for deeds real and imagined, and who can forget Rush Limbaugh calling pre-teen Chelsea "the White House dog"?) The entire family still has to be hurting from the November defeat, especially since the current president still uses Hillary as a straw man whenever he needs to deflect.

So I saw her in protective mode, there to promote her very non-partisan book, and not wanting to do anything that would throw red meat to the far right. I noticed how quickly she flipped over the bumper sticker they propped in front of her that said "Clinton 2020" -- you know that's a screen shot circulating on the hate sites already, declaring that she's thrown her hat in the ring.

It looks like she wrote a charming book, and was not there to cheerlead or talk politics at all. She was quite adept at steering the conversation to gardening, her kids, and her book. And she did it all graciously. I'm jealous.

• Love 17

I'm not sure if I buy that Chelsea was cold to Joy, but at the same time I could understand if she was. Still, I've never had and don't see a problem with Joy's Monica jokes, except that they're stale. I mean, expecting people not to make fun of that incident is ludicrous. Then again (not going political here, just talking about personalities), while I've always been fond of Hillary, I've never much cared for Bill. Maybe that's a reason it doesn't bother me. I don't care about the inner workings of their marriage at all, btw.

• Love 2

Chelsea was fine, even humorless.  I think she wanted her appearance to have a positive message, not a snarky one.  I like her.  Remember that awkward girl who moved into the WH all those years ago?  She grew up to be such a poised, intelligent woman.  Even the worst Clinton haters have to give her parents some credit for that.

• Love 17

I too like Chelsea.  She seems authentic to me.  Like what you see is the real Chelsea.  Unlike Ivanka Trump who always seems to be "on". 

And yes, who can blame Chelsea for being what appears to be on guard.  She was a guest on the View which is not known for conducting the most friendly interviews.  And I'm sure she was well aware of Jedi's animus toward her mother.

• Love 14

What exactly is Sunny saying? 

Also, they really like to choose the most ignorant Twitter comments to put on screen.

"If YOU want birth control then YOU pay for it......blah blah" from a Tonya. TONYA! A woman. Ugh. 

• Love 5
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Jewlmc said:

Also, they really like to choose the most ignorant Twitter comments to put on screen.

Yes.  Any sort of media does this.  Any time there is breaking news event I swear to god the media will seek out the most uninformed person to speak.  I call it the train wreck effect. 

5 minutes ago, Jewlmc said:

"If YOU want birth control then YOU pay for it......blah blah" from a Tonya. TONYA! A woman. Ugh. 

I am so fucking tired of hearing people say this.  Prescription birth controls are just that.  A prescription.  Insurance covers your other doctor issued prescriptions so why not birth control? 

Edited by susieq147
  • Love 17

Surprise, surprise, Jedi was against on the birth control topic because of her own personal experience of needing birth control. Somehow I'm guessing that if she hadn't been personally impacted by needing birth control for 'reasons', she wouldn't give two shits about it like every other topic that impacts millions she is so callous about. At least Sunny is consistent with how her religion directs her view of social issues.

I have no idea who Chance the Rapper is, but he seemed nice enough and is quite handsome.

• Love 8

Once again Whoopi shows she knows nothing about insurance. The controversy has nothing to do with tax dollars.  The objection is from employees of religious institutions (mostly) who don't want their employer subsidized med ins plan to cover contraceptives.  They don't want their premiums to be used to pay for birth control for other people. Of course we all have plans that cover meds we ourselves will never need (hopefully), so.... deal with it.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Jewlmc said:

"If YOU want birth control then YOU pay for it......blah blah" from a Tonya. TONYA! A woman. Ugh

Yes, it's ridiculous.   I understand that my insurance money goes to fund medications for other people, even operations for other people.  I understand that I can have insurance all year and not use any of it because I had the good fortune to not need it - just like I pay car insurance and feel fortunate that I didn't need to use that.  

Companies selecting certain things to not cover is crazy.  what if another company decides that antibiotics are over-prescribed, so they will no longer cover them?  Or vaccinations cause autism (they don't) so the insurance company decides not to cover routine vaccinations?  Can a company decide that as a company, they are Christian scientists, and opt out of ALL medical coverage because it goes against their religion? 

• Love 11

Most people think that birth control pills should be covered by insurance.  What they don't think is fair that it is mandated to be covered 100% with not even a nominal co-pay.  Most prescriptions require a considerable co-pay.  Many poor women skimp on necessary medicines because of the co-pay. 

• Love 4

Today is why I like Whoopi on the panel.  Who else would go after Sunny for her self serving view on birth control?  Don't like it, don't use it and don't regulate another's choice to do so.  That is not your business.  

• Love 6
5 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I have no idea who Chance the Rapper is, but he seemed nice enough and is quite handsome.

I'm not into his music, but he's a Chicago guy and REALLY community-minded. I hope he is/becomes a role model. Seems like a great person -- he gave $10K to 10-20 under-privileged schools in our city. One of the schools by me (not privileged, not scary-poor) invited him to their career fair a couple months ago... and he showed up! So I'm a big fan, even if I couldn't pick his music out of a line-up.

• Love 14

Even when I agree with Whoopi she is annoying.  At one point, she was yelling so much and so loud that her face took on a rather contorted look.  Whoopi, if you are so sage with all your years of experience, then surely you should be able to express your opinion and views without ranting like a lunatic.  I don't think Sunny, or anyone who agrees with Sunny, heard anything she had to say because she was just so nasty.

And on the race discussion, which they have had many times before, Sunny is saying, this is how I feel--scared, etc.   And then Whoopi jumps on her telling her she shouldn't feel scared.  Was it not just this week, cannot recall the topic, but someone, probably Jeda-idiot, was arguing with Whoopi, and Whoopi got all offended and said:  this is how I feel, I am telling you how I feel.  What a hypocrite.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, spiritof76 said:

First Whoopi. She gets on my nerves when they talk about racism etc, because she's always trying to tell other black people how they should feel and how they should handle it. If you aren't hurt when someone calls you the N word well good for you. But there are many of us who are and Sunny has a right to feel however she wants to about it.

Not just this topic.  She often thinks she is the authority ("the bottom line is ...........") on almost all "important" topics.  I like Whoopi for her passion but I wish she would stop treating the other ladies, especially Sunny, like they are children.  Geez! 

• Love 9

Sunny surprised me a little today about the birth control issue. But I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt because she sounded a little uninformed yet really a tad tormented about the issue in the sense that she really wants/needs to reevaluate her position. I think if her daughter, ie, had a medical reason like many outlined above that she would see it another way.

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, spiritof76 said:

But then Sunny had to go and ruin my good feelings for her with the birth control topic. She made me so made I almost wanted to reach through TV. I hated how dismissive she was,when Jedawhatever and Sara were explaining that many women take birth control for other reasons besides birth control. I am one of those women. I have uterine fibroids  (something that is very common among women of color so I'm surprised Sunny isn't more educated on that) and they have caused heavy, painful periods for years. I've passed out. I've had to have blood transfusions and iron infusions. Last year I had surgery to remove the fibroids. They will come back eventually. Next step is hysterectomy. And right now the only thing that is actually helping me are birth control pills. And the thing is this is very common. Women with endometriosis. Ovarian cysts. Irregular periods. The list goes on. And Sunny had the nerve to say "I think you might be overstating that a bit. I doubt the numbers bear that out." For someone that is usually so big on doing her homework she missed on this one. And she made me agree with Jed! Unforgivable! But the point is it shouldn't matter why I use,them. They are medicine that are prescribed by my doctor. End of story. 

WORD to your entire post! Especially about the different reasons why some women need to take birth control. Another is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, also referred as PCOS, which I had. And eventually the Pill stopped working ?and I had to get a hysterectomy.?

For someone who is as educated as Sunny is, I'm shocked and disheartened at Sunny's attitude about birth control.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 10
59 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

WORD to your entire post! Especially about the different reasons why some women need to take birth control. Another is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, also referred as PCOS, which I had. And eventually the Pill stopped working ?and I had to get a hysterectomy.?

For someone who is as educated as Sunny is, I'm shocked and disheartened at Sunny's attitude about birth control.

54 minutes ago, maggiemae said:

(little voice here) - maybe Sunny will educated herself on this issue. I think it is definitely possible.

I think it is APPALLING that Sunny is so ill-informed, given her intelligence & life experience.  It's like she really doesn't want to know because it interferes with her christian beliefs

• Love 9

I agree Medicine - thing is she seemed to me so troubled about it as in questioning her own opinion. It was her concern about it rather than her conviction that made me think she is struggling with the subject. And is seeing the subject in a new light.

But maybe I was already concerned about her comments about being personally attacked  since she joined the show. WG could care less, JB ignores it, Jedihugemouth says bring it on! Sara - not sure about how she is taking it. But lately it seems to me  she is more informed and confident so perhaps she takes it in stride.

Oh well - enough of me "protecting" Sunny. She can take care of herself.

• Love 3

A couple of years ago I stopped watching regularly because the show was just stupid.

But I missed you guys and every now and then I checked in - very much less often in the last year or so.

Boy there is life after the view.......

Every time I come here and read the comments (well written as they always are), nothing entices me back to watch.

What a continuing hot mess it is.

I get my talk show fix from Charlie Rose these days.

God bless you all for sticking with the mess and I truly miss you humor and insight....but there is nothing to be insightful about on this show.

I admire your endurance, but I can't imagine what would bring me back to the show - - I may still 'hover' here tho' and thanks for having me :)

• Love 11
20 hours ago, wings707 said:

Today is why I like Whoopi on the panel.  Who else would go after Sunny for her self serving view on birth control?  Don't like it, don't use it and don't regulate another's choice to do so.  That is not your business.  

I feel this was the prevailing attitude from the show this week...at least until the roles were reversed on Friday's show discussion. The hosts all couldn't hide their delight at being able to criticize rich men for choosing to have vasectomies to avoid unwanted children. Why is that a problem for any of these hosts? They acted like the men were complete assholes for opting for vasectomies.

They also cheered each other for nagging in relationships, destroying personal property of their partners, and so on in another classic male-bashing segment. I wish they would stop thinking it's cute or funny to be so anti-men. Grow up.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

Call me a grudge-holder, but I listened to Star Jones lie & bull-shit & feather her nest (her wedding), so I can't give credence to anything she says or does now.  (She's dead to me!!)

This goes back to what Paula said today about us never being able to forgive and move on.  We've all "stepped in it" at one time or another as Whoopi would say.  And Joy said on today's show that Star is not the same person she use to be.  If she was still so bad, she wouldn't be welcomed back to the show so often. There was at time when she wasn't welcomed on the show.   

• Love 4
On 5/31/2017 at 5:58 PM, TheGreenKnight said:

I didn't notice anything off between Chelsea and Joy? Maybe I should re-watch to see if I missed something. That would surprise me, actually.

I think Chelsea may have been thrown off by the (unfunny) recreated book covers/titles presented by Joy.   The covers looked good...but WHY does everything have to steer toward comedy?  There's plenty to talk about with a Clinton.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, A.J. said:

This goes back to what Paula said today about us never being able to forgive and move on.  We've all "stepped in it" at one time or another as Whoopi would say.  And Joy said on today's show that Star is not the same person she use to be.  If she was still so bad, she wouldn't be welcomed back to the show so often. There was at time when she wasn't welcomed on the show.   

I totally agree with everything you said, but Star was SO self-serving for SO long, she just used up my last ounce of forgiveness.  I don't dislike her, I just don't care what she says or does.

• Love 5
(edited)

KATHY GRIFFIN.    I am a fan but COMPLETELY agree that she made a huge/disgusting mistake.  I don't think she should have a life sentence...but--and I'll address these questions to "I'm a former prosecutor," Sunny Hostin, because you seem the most judgmental and should be able to expect all sides of an argument:

1.  Did Kathy Griffin create that horrible piece of art (the bloody decapitation)? 

2.  Was the entire thing Kathy Griffin's idea from the start?

3.  Did Kathy Griffin set up the photoshoot and take the picture?

4.  Are you familiar with the name Tyler Shields?  Please tell us who he is.

Edited by Former Nun
deleted an *
  • Love 11
4 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

I totally agree with everything you said, but Star was SO self-serving for SO long, she just used up my last ounce of forgiveness.  I don't dislike her, I just don't care what she says or does.

I'll admit she was my least favorite co-host at times.  So I get it.  And you have the right to feel how you feel.  

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

KATHY GRIFFIN.    I am a fan but COMPLETELY agree that she made a huge/disgusting mistake.  I don't think she should have a life sentence...but--and I'll address these questions to "I'm a former prosecutor," Sunny Hostin, because you seem the most judgmental and should be able to expect all sides of an argument:

1.  Did Kathy Griffin create that horrible piece of art (the bloody decapitation)? 

2.  Was the entire thing Kathy Griffin's idea from the start?

3.  Did Kathy Griffin set up the photoshoot and take the picture?

4.  Are you familiar with the name Tyler Shields?  Please tell us who he is.

I like Kathy but think what she did was misguided and frankly in very poor taste.  However, no like Former Nun said she does not deserve a life sentence for this stunt.  And that was what it was, a stunt.  That failed.

I find the hypocrisy from the right wing most disgusting.  How many vile stunts did we see at the Obama's expense? 

I hope Kathy's career can survive this.  Oh who am I kidding?  I hope Kathy herself can survive this.  Trump's supporters feature some pretty scary unhinged individuals.  I hope she can stay safe till this blows over.

• Love 15

I didn't feel any particular way about what Kathy Griffin did, mostly because she always does off-color things to shock people. I just rolled my eyes. I doubt her career will be long-term affected, just being honest; most of her fanbase won't care after a month and I doubt the country as a whole will even remember it 6 months from now. I'm only annoyed by the incident because it gives something for certain nameless individuals to exploit and act like victims when they are anything but....

• Love 14
32 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

I think Chelsea may have been thrown off by the (unfunny) recreated book covers/titles presented by Joy.   The covers looked good...but WHY does everything have to steer toward comedy?  There's plenty to talk about with a Clinton.

That is Joy's role on the show and it helps keep news topics in balance.  I agree, there are times it doesn't work well but I don't fault her for that.  

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, wings707 said:

That is Joy's role on the show and it helps keep news topics in balance.  I agree, there are times it doesn't work well but I don't fault her for that.  

I agree...but I doubt if the "books" were Joy's idea.  Her comedy is either spontaneous or something from her bag of schticks.

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

I agree...but I doubt if the "books" were Joy's idea.  Her comedy is either spontaneous or something from her bag of schticks.

I missed that show.  I hear you.  

• Love 2

I had to chuckle when Vanessa Williams recounted a misstep in her career when she was photographed with an American flag draped over her shoulders.   That was the misstep you thought of, Vanessa?  Really?  How'd being Miss America work out for you?

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

I had to chuckle when Vanessa Williams recounted a misstep in her career when she was photographed with an American flag draped over her shoulders.   That was the misstep you thought of, Vanessa?  Really?  How'd being Miss America work out for you?

I'd say it worked out pretty well.  Would she have had the same career without the scandal?  How many other Miss America winners can anyone name?

• Love 10

I must be missing something with the singing from Come From Away.  I do love the basis of the true story but can't imagine seeing a play 68 times. 

I  am also a fan of Kathy's ( having seen her in concert twice )and don't think this should be the end of her career. 

• Love 8
22 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

I must be missing something with the singing from Come From Away.  I do love the basis of the true story but can't imagine seeing a play 68 times. 

I can.  But mostly because I'm super obsessed with CFA at the moment. I saw it in Toronto just before Christmas and I can't wait for it to come back!  Beverly Bass is adorable.

Boy...the tension between Star and Joy is pretty palpable...

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Duckie30ca said:

I can.  But mostly because I'm super obsessed with CFA at the moment. I saw it in Toronto just before Christmas and I can't wait for it to come back!  Beverly Bass is adorable.

Boy...the tension between Star and Joy is pretty palpable...

How many years did Joy have to sit & listen to Star lie, brag & feather her nest?  I'm guessing Joy isn't "getting over it".

Edited by Medicine Crow
haven't is not have
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Superpole2000 said:

They also cheered each other for nagging in relationships, destroying personal property of their partners, and so on in another classic male-bashing segment. I wish they would stop thinking it's cute or funny to be so anti-men. Grow up.

They laughed/cheered because Sara said "well, I wouldn't call it nagging, more like reminding.

(I laughed along with the audience because its actually a serious conversation I had with my kids...I really hate that you guys don't do things when I ask you to. I constantly have to remind you and I feel like I'm nagging.")

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Blissfool said:

They laughed/cheered because Sara said "well, I wouldn't call it nagging, more like reminding.

And sometimes that audience (all TV audiences) is cheering because the "show runner," usually a wannabe comedian, is revving them up with gestures.  I'm sure they're "educated" before the show begins.   Often the cheering/applause is out of left field.

• Love 2