Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8: Speculation and Spoilers Discussion

Message added by Meredith Quill

Advisory: This topic is for S8 Spoilers & Spec. If your post predominantly concerns book comparisons or a character's past season actions it will be removed. 

• Start Topic

29 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

But narratively speaking Jon's dragonride in 8x01 makes little sense. A story shouldn't just be about awe and wonder. It should be about good, logical character development.

If he needs to learn to fly a dragon, circle WF a few times and then widen your circles. Fly over the North, test Dracarys on some wights you come across. Flying all the way up North, past the wall, just for some romantic getaway? Literally the opposite direction of where the undead army is going? Is this going to end like the S7 Finale? Where they screw and the worst happens? Only this time it's not the wall falling but the AotD are outside WF? Why would you fly so far away when you KNOW the undead army is literally at your doorstep? What's wrong with a bed at WF? Or find a little hideout near WF or something that doesn't mean your are hundreds of miles away from where you are needed.

• Love 2

I didn't realize they went North of the Wall. That strains credulity IMO. But I guess I know nothing of the technical side such as dragon MPH nor the miles from Winterfell to the Wall. The entire escapade sounds super silly from reading the leaks but I really have to see the visuals and hear the dialogue to fully understand what's going on.

22 hours ago, Smad said:

I love the childishness. Northern Lords do A, so D/J are allowed to do B.

I don't freaking care for their romance. From all accounts they know the AoTD is in the North when they get to WF. We learn in this episode that Last Hearth is gone. Karhold too probably. The army is literally on WF's doorstep. This isn't the time for joyrides and sex.

And lets not forget these are the morons who are the reason the wall is down, they handed the NK a WMD that allowed his army to invade Westeros. They don't get a timeout. All they get to have time for is to fix their stupidity. If they rather fvck than take responsibility for their screw up, they better both die horribly. How the hell can you even still get it up when your are responsible for those deaths?

I love this comment so much. Not everyone wants silly sexy times in our favourite show. I don't. We don't have time for it and neither do the characters.  Honestly, I've thought about my own self 25 years ago when I was still young, would I go off and screw if the world was about to end? Nope.  It's fan service and nothing else.  Lots of squeals of glee from shippers-- note everyone who has commented on this site alone. GRRM writes wonderfully, but he writes cringe worthy sex scenes, especially if you are listening to Roy Dotrice narrate the books. D and D like to shock, but they write cringey sex scenes themselves.

To keep this on point it's really because they screwed up Jon and Dany's romance. It isn't believable. They meet, they talk, blah blah a bit, then she sees him touch Drogon, she loses Viserion and boom, they're in love.  It wasn't realistic in the rushed last season.  Maybe if they had expended a bit of time in character development between these two important people, and less time having a bro journey beyond the wall and a dead polar bear...I might have bought it. As it is now, I don't.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

True, although they should then cut to a shot of Ghost looking really sad.  After being totally forgotten he's now been replaced by a dragon.  To be fair, Ghost versus wights = dead Ghost, so maybe Jon should tell him to run off and avoid the battle that's coming. 

Maybe he'll tell Ghost to stick by Sansa.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Minneapple said:

As has been mentioned, it comes before Jon knows he's a Targ, and it apparently doesn't cause Dany or Jon to be like "why the fuck can Jon ride the dragon but they're all ROAR ROAR ROAR FIRE ANGRY with everyone else?"

I mean, a lot of people were on Drogon in S7E6. Why he needs to be a Targ to ride dragons? 

1 hour ago, Smad said:

Flying all the way up North, past the wall, just for some romantic getaway?

I don't think they are going past the wall. 

• Love 1
(edited)
10 minutes ago, nikma said:

I mean, a lot of people were on Drogon in S7E6. Why he needs to be a Targ to ride dragons? 

The Wight Party were passengers, rather than drivers, though. Kind of a different thing.

Having said that, I take no issue whatsoever with Jon's riding lesson followed by a little hanky panky in 8.01. I'm convinced that's the last of the sexytimes for them for the remainder of the series, anyway. Then again, I still harbor a notion they might've secretly married shipboard on the way over, so you can find me in the corner with my tinfoil hat.

Edited by spaceghostess
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, spaceghostess said:

I still harbor a notion they might've secretly married shipboard on the way over, so you can find me in the corner with my tinfoil hat.

:hands you a blanket and some tea:: it’s very nice in this corner 😊

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
(edited)
17 minutes ago, spaceghostess said:

The Wight Party were passengers, rather than drivers, though. Kind of a different thing.

Yeah, and they were in rush. But if Dany wanted, Jorah could have rode a dragon long time ago. 

I think it's about Dany's trust in Jon. 

Edited by nikma
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, Smad said:

Why would you fly so far away when you KNOW the undead army is literally at your doorstep? What's wrong with a bed at WF? Or find a little hideout near WF or something that doesn't mean your are hundreds of miles away from where you are needed.

You're making some huge assumptions, aren't you?  For one thing, you say that the AOTD is "literally at the doorstep."  That, of course, would mean that the Winterfellians (yes, I'm pretty sure that's the term 😊!) could see them from the ramparts.   Since they don't show up until Ep. 3, we could be talking about as much as a couple of months before they show up.

Yep, "literally at the doorstep."

At this time, we have no idea how far they went or how quickly they got there or where they are.  (Just because they filmed in Iceland, where scenes beyond the Wall have been filmed in the past, does not mean that they went beyond the Wall in this ep, only that they needed a rugged and snowy landscape.)  Or how quickly they could return.

I recognize that Jon and/or Dany can do no right for some posters on this forum--if they parted The Narrow Sea, hustled all the living Northerners south to safety and then drowned the AOTD in it, there would probably be complaints about their spending a day at the beach--but it seems to me that common sense would dictate that we wait to see the ep before we start frothing at the mouth. 

• Love 21
25 minutes ago, nikma said:

They were with Dany though. Not exactly the same thing. 

Whatever. I just wish the dragonride had happened after Jon found out he was a Targaryen, or had some kind of point toward building his character.

Shrug. YMMV and all that.

2 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

or had some kind of point toward building his character.

The point is his relationship with dany and how she trusts him, and not just because he is Targ. 

• Love 2
(edited)
30 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I think whatever sex we're supposed to get with Dany/Jon is supposed to play in contrast to Cersei/Euron. 

Yup. Here I am, looking foward to aunt/nephew sex while dreading unrelated-people sex. Oy, this show.

Edited by spaceghostess
Agreement
  • LOL 11
(edited)
20 minutes ago, spaceghostess said:

Yup. Here I am, looking foward to aunt/nephew sex while dreading unrelated-people sex. Oy, this show.

You get it. Ha. You have to have perspective watching GoT. The people who screech "eek sex" and wail about the science fantasy elements like dragons have none. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, GrailKing said:

The Stark videos with Maisie, Sophie and Isaac as little children are really sad because the Stark theme music makes everything sad, lol.

As much as I am not a fan of show Sansa, I do feel sad for her after watching Sophie's introspective video. That last bit, with young Sophie talking about 'dreams coming true' and then the last shot of Sansa at WF. Little Sansa did wish for so much as a child and it was pretty much her hopes and wishes and dreams getting crushed.

At this point, every character on the show deserves a happy ending. Except maybe Cersei. But I am sure I am going to end up feeling sorry for even her at the end.

3 hours ago, Lemuria said:

I recognize that Jon and/or Dany can do no right for some posters on this forum--if they parted The Narrow Sea, hustled all the living Northerners south to safety and then drowned the AOTD in it, there would probably be complaints about their spending a day at the beach--but it seems to me that common sense would dictate that we wait to see the ep before we start frothing at the mouth. 

If Jon/Dany spend all their time on the plot of saving the North - their relationship is so rushed and unbelievable!

If Jon/Dany spend some romantic moments together - why are they selfishly spending time together? There's noh time for that! Go defend the North!

It's like Jon has to literally be Jesus after his resurrection and suffer for the sins of others. He should prostrate before the North and beg them to be allowed to save them.  No fun times for him. He has to spend all his life serving his family and the North.

Not to mention that Dany is expected to graciously accept all the snide, rude behavior from the North and selflessly help them out with all her resources for free. 

At this point I am going to feel more sad if the Dothraki, Unsullied, Missandei, GreyWorm, Jorah etc. die at WF than any of the Northerners. They are only there in WF because of their loyalty to Dany and are going to give their lives defending some really unappreciative people.

I am hoping that the Northerners come around by episode two and start bonding with their allies and the Dothraki and Vale soldiers share fighting tips and we get some humor about the cultural differences when these very different groups come together to fight the dead.

Edited by anamika
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, nikma said:

The point is his relationship with dany and how she trusts him, and not just because he is Targ. 

Bookwise, she was warned not to trust everyone who comes to her for her dragons and showise, she's been betrayed by people who want her for her dragons. Even if Jon doesn't want to betray her it sounds like Sam is working behind the scenes to force his hand and make it happen. 

5 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

I think whatever sex we're supposed to get with Dany/Jon is supposed to play in contrast to Cersei/Euron. 

According to the leaks, we won't be getting any onscreen sex scenes in the first episode.

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, Minneapple said:

According to the leaks, we won't be getting any onscreen sex scenes in the first episode.

The warnings for the episode include nudity and strong sexual content, so someone’s having sex, although it may just be background for Bronn’s brothel scene.

The past few seasons have been pretty light on sex scenes, and I doubt that will change much in S8. 

As much as I am not a fan of show Sansa, I do feel sad for her after watching Sophie's introspective video. That last bit, with young Sophie talking about 'dreams coming true' and then the last shot of Sansa at WF. Little Sansa did wish for so much as a child and it was pretty much her hopes and wishes and dreams getting crushed.

Sophie when asked what advice she would have given her character in S1 in the video said that she would tell her to take nothing for granted and know that there would be a positive resolution to every negative situation she was in, so it sounds like Sansa does okay for herself at the end of the day.

At this point, every character on the show deserves a happy ending. Except maybe Cersei. But I am sure I am going to end up feeling sorry for even her at the end.

Cersei really is awful, but I'm going to be so sad to see her die.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

The warnings for the episode include nudity and strong sexual content, so someone’s having sex, although it may just be background for Bronn’s brothel scene.

The past few seasons have been pretty light on sex scenes, and I doubt that will change much in S8. 

Mr_Freeload

Jon and Danyerys are walking towards the dragon chatting about some shit I forgot, it's not relevant. Probably about Sansa being a bitch to Danyerys or Northerners. Whatever.

They approach the dragons, Rhagael gets close to Jon to sniff him. Danyerys then asks if he would ever ride a dragon, he replies, "how does one ride a dragon". She replies, "By riding it". He then makes a joke that he can fall and die, she smiles back saying, "then it was nice knowing you, Jon Snow".

They ride away, hes sort of struggling at first. Then gets the hang of it. The whole flying scene reminds me of when Jake Sully first flies his Ikran for the first time in Avatar. They fly around, smile at each other and what not. 

Jon lands his dragon near a waterfall. Dany follows. Jon looks around and says, "we could live here for a 1000 years and nobody would find us". They kiss, dragons watch. They kiss some more, Jon opens his eyes while kissing and catches both dragons starring at them (also Bran somewhere probably). Rhaegal was grinning? Growling? Had his teeth showing, it was a funny moment. 

Scene cuts off - they definitely fucked after. Maybe I made it seem like they were getting away to go fuck somewhere, but that could also be true.

• Love 1

Yeah, and I believe there was a leak about Euron and Cersei where we don't see any sex, just Euron putting his pants on after the fact. So the nudity is coming from somewhere, just not these two pairings.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

Yeah, and I believe there was a leak about Euron and Cersei where we don't see any sex, just Euron putting his pants on after the fact. So the nudity is coming from somewhere, just not these two pairings.

I think it's the brothel scene with Bronn...which is fine by me, because I don't particularly want to see a Euron/Cersei explicit sex scene where Cersei's not into it and miserable the whole time. Also, Euron. Ugh. 

Now that we have spoilers for 8x01 and we know that 8x03 is nonstop action, that leaves 8x02, 8x04, 8x05 and 8x06 for sex scenes. EW and David Nutter have talked about how "wonderfully intimate" one of David Nutter's episodes is, so if there are more sex scenes, I'm guessing they would be in his episodes: I wouldn't expect sex scenes in 8x05 (since it seems like it will focus on everything happening in KL) or the finale (since it seems like it's a little late for sex scenes at that point). So if we're down to 8x02 and 8x04, I'd say another Jon/Dany sex scene (possibly), a possible Jaime/Brienne sex scene, and that's it. 

• Love 1
(edited)
30 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

, I'd say another Jon/Dany sex scene (possibly), a possible Jaime/Brienne sex scene, and that's it. 

I really hope that this sex scene will be. Or I want to see at least a kiss from this couple. Romance between them is in the air ...😍

11 hours ago, anamika said:

100%! The death scene of Cersei will be made so dramatic that everyone crumbles. Otherwise it can not be. Especially with such an actress. Oh, she will be able to adequately carry out her heroine on her last journey. And yes, I hope, both spectators and other heroes will cry over her death. For example, Jaime ...😜

Edited by Friendly kitty
  • Love 1

I don't think any J/B romance scenes could happen in 8x02, because I simply don't see how there would be enough time for Jaime to have the necessary scenes dealing with the Starks/Tyrion/Northern Lords and to get romantic.  If JB are going to hook up I think 8x04 makes more sense because they would have barely survived the battle of WF and it probably gives them more of a nudge to just jump in and hook up while they still have the chance etc.

Jon will probably be in full brood mode in 8x02, so if there are anymore J/D sexytimes I'd probably guess 8x04 for them as well.  Thematically it would be more satisfying for another sex scene to occur after Jon and Dany have both accepted his Targ heritage and if they are at the Targ ancestral home of Dragonstone (and as per the 2nd trailer it seems JD have one scene there).

The only other couples or potential couples that might be in with a shot to hook up are Missandei and Greyworm (but they got their big scenes last season so I doubt it), and Gilly and Sam (but I can't really see them getting another one)

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, Friendly kitty said:

The death scene of Cersei will be made so dramatic that everyone crumbles. Otherwise it can not be. Especially with such an actress

I agree. Her death will be something else. I expect iconic scene that people will remember for years.

• Love 1
(edited)

So let’s tease the final season a bit. What excites you about these last episodes?

BENIOFF: Part of what excites me is the performance of these actors. So many of them have been with us since the beginning and they’ve grown — both literally for the kids, and as characters. In many cases, they’re going so far beyond what was expected for them. Some, like Lyanna Mormont [Bella Ramsey], were just supposed to be in one scene. Bella is such an incredible actress that we kept bringing her back because we wanted more Bella. And in some cases big actors like Lena [Headey] and Peter [Dinklage], you go back to the pilot where they were already great and you look at how much richer those characters have become. To know them this well and to have their voices so clearly in your head when you write for them is a such a rare gift.
WEISS: Sometimes they’ll deliver a line and I’ll think, “No, that’s not the way you’re supposed to say that.” Because their voices are so burned into my brain. But whether it’s Maisie [Williams] or Kit, you have to go, “Do I know how they’d say that? Because they’re them.” So you take a breath and realize maybe their way is better.

But in terms of the story?

WEISS: Jon and Dany are obviously together-together now. We didn’t have much time, or any time, to explore that relationship as a real relationship in the seventh season. It came to fruition at the end. It was a lot of fun to write them meeting each other, and now there’s a new kind of relationship between them. And here they’re together from the beginning.

And, of course, there’s the massive battle episode.

WEISS: The show began with the threat in the North. From the beginning, there were all of these squabbles that were going on between people that seemed important happening against the backdrop of much larger and more momentous events that only a few people who lived on the fringes of the political world knew about. This always was the overarching structure of the series: The very slow burn of the rise of the [Army of the Dead in the] Far North and the [rise of Daenerys and her dragons in the] Far East. If you live in the capital, everything that matters to you is happening right in front of you while the things happening in the flyover parts of the world don’t really matter. So the things driving the story are from the edges of the earth, and it seems fitting that these things from the east and the north should come together to decide the fate of everybody in the middle, who didn’t even know about them until recently.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/04/09/game-of-thrones-season-8-showrunners-interview/

Edited by anamika
  • Love 6

Cersei's death scene will probably be Emmy-reel worthy.

I think 8x02 is way too early for Jaime/Brienne sex. I have doubts that it will happen at all, but if it does I think it's in the back half of the season.

• Love 2

I won’t be sad if Cersei dies, but I will enjoy it. She’s probably one of the most complex and fully realized female villains on television and Lena has been amazing. She has her own mad scientist, zombie bodyguard and Disney villain song... she’s like an evil queen out of fairy tales 😊😆. She’s the best . 

• Love 9
(edited)

Right now I kind of want to smack Sam.  Seriously, the Wall has fallen, the Night King is coming, and you want to start a mutiny over your dad and brother after they pretty much sold Oleanna out and teamed up with Cersei?!  Smart.  Real fucking smart. 

I know they were his family, but they made their choice.  Plus, Sam's dad was a dick.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 8

From the D&D interview

BENIOFF: [The concern] used to be that the books would spoil the show for people — and luckily it did not, for the most part. Now that the show is ahead of the books, it seems the show could ruin the books for people. So one thing we’ve talked to George about is that we’re not going to tell people what the differences are, so when those books come out people can experience them fresh.

Lol. "When those books come out."

• LOL 7
  • Love 5
(edited)
8 hours ago, GraceK said:

I won’t be sad if Cersei dies, but I will enjoy it. She’s probably one of the most complex and fully realized female villains on television and Lena has been amazing. She has her own mad scientist, zombie bodyguard and Disney villain song... she’s like an evil queen out of fairy tales 😊😆. She’s the best . 

And Jaimie is the spitting image of the evil Fairy Godmother's son in Shrek 2. 

Edited by Jextella
  • LOL 3
53 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

From the D&D interview

Lol. "When those books come out."

HAHAHHAHAHA .....ahahahaha....ahaha.....when those books come out...... at this point I think he means 'IF'

also....in Peter Dinklage's remembrance video when he is talking about Tyrion, it doesn't sound like a man who is about to commit treason.

3 minutes ago, Jextella said:

And Jaimie is the spitting image of the evil Fairy Godmother in Shrek 2. 

You mean the Fairy Godmother's son, Prince Charming?

• Love 4
1 minute ago, SimoneS said:

I think that Sansa and Arya will find out that Jon is a Targaryen in episode 2 when Sam blurbs it out to all presence.

If Sam, is hardcore in the Jon being the King of the Seven Kingdoms, I can see him doing this.

33 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

What the hell could be spoiled by a braid in Sansa's hair?

Oooh, oooh, I know this one! Dany braided Sansa's hair for her while they were bonding and put a little bell in it for killing Ramsey, the way Dothraki do!

I read it in a fanfic once....*slinks off*

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
37 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

Haha, I can absolutely understand this!  I also post at another board where they catalog and study (intensely study) every leaked photo and filming spoiler that comes along, including who's wearing what, who else is there on location (including which director might be spotted).  So, for example if Sophie had that braid in her hair during a scene filmed in Seville last May or June, and X-director was also spotted on location, and we later learn that X-director filmed Episode 5 (or whatever), we also had on-location photos of Theon--or the Hound or Jorah or whoever filming at the same time Sophie had that braid, then we know that Theon or the Hound or Jorah or whoever survived at least til Episode 5.

I made up that whole scenario, of course, but we do have fans who follow the filming THAT closely, and they're very very good at it.  Message me if you'd like a link to their board, its fun, and interesting.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Minneapple said:

::eagerly puts on tinfoil hat::

Sansa kills Dany and adopts the Dothraki custom of a braid to cement her total victory over Daenarys 🔥 

or

Sansa falls passionately in love with hot eyeliner wearing Dothraki guy that follows Dany and adopts the braid of victory custom after passing judgment as Queen of the North and killing Tyrion. 

Dany dies heroically and after bonding throughout the season as sisters , Sansa wears her hair in braid in loving memory after avenging her death .

( Deansa 4Eva ❤️)

😊😂

Edited by GraceK
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, GraceK said:

Sansa falls passionately in love with hot eyeliner wearing Dothraki guy that follows Dany 

Sansa falling in love with Qhono (Staz Nair), Dany's hot bodyguard, would be the smartest thing she has done since the first episode. That man is delicious.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Minneapple said:

Sophie wore a wig for Sansa in S7 and S8, so I assume she was either referring to her real hair being braided for wigs in earlier seasons (giving away that she had filmed), or that she was talking about an earlier season where she had had her real hair braided. 

5 hours ago, LadyChaos said:

HAHAHHAHAHA .....ahahahaha....ahaha.....when those books come out...... at this point I think he means 'IF'

also....in Peter Dinklage's remembrance video when he is talking about Tyrion, it doesn't sound like a man who is about to commit treason.

You mean the Fairy Godmother's son, Prince Charming?

Yes!  Post amended :(

• Love 1
3 hours ago, LadyChaos said:

If Sam, is hardcore in the Jon being the King of the Seven Kingdoms, I can see him doing this.

Why wouldn't he? He knows, loves, trusts and respects Jon. He also knows that Jon is the legitimate heir and, having Jon Snow, King in the North as both a Targ and a Stark will go a long way with the Northern Lords. Theon would probably jump ship to King Jon over Queen Dany as well

On the other hand Dany has Dragons, Unsullied and Dothraki in her favor. If they know Jon can ride a dragon that would probably tips the scales in his favor.

If the words "political marriage" don't immediately follow (from someone savvy) I'd be shocked because that would be my first suggestion.

Dany and Jon could in theory co-rule (like William and Mary). If it creeps them out, they don't have to have sex.

Of course I actually think one of the 2 will die so this I mostly moot but, I would expect at least a short conversation

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Why wouldn't he? He knows, loves, trusts and respects Jon. He also knows that Jon is the legitimate heir and, having Jon Snow, King in the North as both a Targ and a Stark will go a long way with the Northern Lords. Theon would probably jump ship to King Jon over Queen Dany as well

On the other hand Dany has Dragons, Unsullied and Dothraki in her favor. If they know Jon can ride a dragon that would probably tips the scales in his favor.

If the words "political marriage" don't immediately follow (from someone savvy) I'd be shocked because that would be my first suggestion.

Dany and Jon could in theory co-rule (like William and Mary). If it creeps them out, they don't have to have sex.

Of course I actually think one of the 2 will die so this I mostly moot but, I would expect at least a short conversation

Jon will likely fight being asked to take the throne, so he won't want Sam to spread the word likely. So what I mean, is that he might act against Jon's wishes.  I would love to see them run together but I agree with you that one of them will likely die.  I do think the word marriage will be throne about but I don't know if it will come to fruition.  

8 minutes ago, LadyChaos said:

Jon will likely fight being asked to take the throne, so he won't want Sam to spread the word likely. So what I mean, is that he might act against Jon's wishes.  I would love to see them run together but I agree with you that one of them will likely die.  I do think the word marriage will be throne about but I don't know if it will come to fruition.  

I do agree on Jon. I don't think he would want to rule/lead and, I doubt he'd be comfortable usurping Dany's birthright...even if he's entitled to it.

To be honest, I'm mostly curious about how Dany reacts to the news. So much of her identity/mission has been to reclaim her throne. The idea that it isn't hers to claim has to throw her for a loop.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1