Type keyword(s) to search

S29.E11: As Easy As Stacking Cups

• Start Topic

Sad that there was no sojourn to that fan favourite destination, the demilitarized zone!  (TAR 4, we remember thee!)

Good tasks unless you had NEVER played a console game in your life.  That audience looked like they were going to fall asleep until Tara finally finished.

I still can't stand Brooke BUT the "strangers as teammates" concept worked out better than expected for me.  At least it seems the final six racers seem to like each other. 

• Love 14
(edited)

Worst leg design ever!  There was no opportunity to make up ground.

I despise Tara and Joey.  Joey was a total douchebag calling the gamer all types of names for having the audacity not to just let Tara beat him.  

This show deserves to be cancelled.  I am not watching the finale and won't watch next season if CBS is stupid enough to renew it.   

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, milner said:

Watching someone play video games is boring!!

It's like any other sport, when you don't know what's going on or have any context then yeah.  I'm not a Street Fighter person myself, so in this case it wasn't that interesting to me either.  But games I like with experts (or funny people) playing them?  It's good times.

• Love 6

I'm surprised the train was slower.  They didn't tell us how long the delay was for missing the connecting train.

Those kids cup stacking is amazing.  Logan's height is a disadvantage again.

Amazing!  Brooke pulls first!

Karma catches the dudes with a bad cab ride.

Kimchee creating.  Dull to watch, tasty to eat.  Instant Brooke meltdown. Nice they are providing entertainment to the other teams  :)

Those games would kill me.  Last game I played was Ms. PacMan back in the Dark Ages.

If it takes 10 rounds to handicap the kid,  I would try and lose quickly while trying to figure the damned thing out.

LOL Tara loses to the blindfolded kid! I thought Matt was going to kick this and leave Mom & Dad in the dust.  I can't believe she never figured out the machine.  Joey showing his ass was disgusting.  The Ugly American.

Bye Matt and Red.  You weren't assholes tonight, because you had nobody to be assholish to.  Thank you Mr. Korean cabdriver.  "I'll give you discount" should have been the title.  I know it's not fair, but, heh!

AMAZING!!  Brooke & Scott finish first.  LoLo  FTW!

• Love 6

Suckier way to lose: bad cabbie or lack of gaming expertise? I will say this: if you're coming from far behind, and Street Fighter determines whether you run for a million dollars? You do NOT PICK Zangief.  Even if that's your guy back home, you need a guy with fireballs. Or Chun-Li or Blanka. Anybody where button mashing benefits you.

Damn, I will check to see Matt & Redmond had a better leg average than Andy & Tommy. They would've been good with passing an overwhelmed Tara. Easily the best team of the season, at least on the race.

Anybody else getting a TAR3 vibe barreling into the finale? Fan faves get sidetracked and eliminated, followed by the alpha males. Another bad sign: the end is in Chicago, where the last embers of hope got snuffed in TAR6.

• Love 5

I'm surprised the train was slower.  They didn't tell us how long the delay was for missing the connecting train.

Isn't the second rule of TAR (after read the fucking clue) that the train is always slower than a cab?  Have we ever seen a train be the faster option?

• Love 3

Anybody else getting a TAR3 vibe barreling into the finale? Fan faves get sidetracked and eliminated, followed by the alpha males. Another bad sign: the end is in Chicago, where the last embers of hope got snuffed in TAR6.

And Logan and London remind me of Jon and Kris if they weren't having sex at every pit stop.  But there's no horrible racist for them to lose to like Kendra.

• Love 3

OMG London was playing that game like a damn maniac but sometimes it works and it did for her. 

I will say the win is deserved by Scott & Brooke this time because Brooke wasn't whining. She was actually bearable this episode and happy to see Lolo race in the F3. They keep on climbing and hope they actually win the whole thing.

I felt bad for Tara with the video game cause I would have been frustrated going 30+ rounds. 

Finally TeamBoys stumbled by not getting on the 2nd train on time and cab driver took them to the wrong location. They thought the train was a good idea because locals told them not to take cab. Doing a connecting transportation is such high risk and almost always fails. Matt was able to do the video game roadblock fairly easily but just not in time. Oh well not sad to see them go especially Redmond.

I hope and pray Lolo or Joey & Tara win it can't be Brooke. Scott deserves some type of reward but not winning the whole thing with Brooke.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Suckier way to lose: bad cabbie or lack of gaming expertise? I will say this: if you're coming from far behind, and Street Fighter determine whether you run for a million dollars? You do NOT PICK Zangief.  Even if that's your guy back home, you need a guy with fireballs. Or Chun-Li or Blanka. Anybody where button mashing benefits you.

Damn, I will check to see Matt & Redmond had a better leg average than Andy & Tommy. They would've been good with passing an overwhelmed Tara. Easily the best team of the season, at least on the race.

In SF you go with Cammy, Chun Li, Ryu or Ken mostly cause they're fast, not slow Zangief. 

• Love 3

This was a fun leg, mostly because it was all tasks I'd happily do. 

I was really rooting for London/Logan to get their first win, if only for the fact that they've never been at the front of the pack, or even in the dead middle, but I really wanted them to beat Whiny Brooke.

So, Matt/Redmond chose wrong with the metro, AND then they got a shitty, yet apologetic, cab driver. But I think it was the metro that really screwed them over. They didn't catch up until Tara/Joey were the last ones at the gaming roadblock.

I loved the gaming task because it's something I have a passion in, so I was loving it. If this was a sport like soccer or football, I might not have enjoyed it, so I get if others weren't invested in this task either. It's a really tough thing to get in to, and professional gamers are just as hardcore as professional athletes. Don't underestimates these gamers. 

I also had flashbacks to when stacking cups was really popular a few years ago. I remember seeing and hearing about it everywhere when I was in high school seven years ago. I was impressed that Brooke not only kept her cool, but was entirely optimistic throughout the entire roadblock. I thought I was seeing a different person. Of course, when they're winning, she's all smiles and sunshine. But put a little bit of pressure, like during the kimchi task, and she explodes. 

I'm going to screen shot London/Logan's first place title card. I hope it's not the first and last time they get to show that card. I was totally with London on just furiously mashing the buttons. I'm not good at Street Fighter or anything associated with having to use combos to beat another player, so I would have been furiously mashing the button as well. It seemed to work out for her eventually; she seemed to be closer several times over Scott, even though he completed the roadblock in less rounds than her. 

Not cool with Joey's namecalling of the gamers. Just because it's not some "normal" sport, it doesn't mean it's automatically going to be easy. 

Seeing as all the teams ended up at the pit stop, did Phil keep Brooke/Scott and London/Logan there to wait for the third team? Or did Lolo and Brooke/Scott get a bit lost and they all just happened to finish close together? 

• Love 5

I don't know how this happened but I think I'm rooting...for.. Brooke and Scott??

I can't get over Joey freaking out at the gamer, and Tara definitely didn't help herself by continuously changing characters. I honestly thought Matt would catch up there for a second. Good editing.

• Love 14
(edited)

I want Team LoLo to win because they are good looking. Is that shallow? If so, I don't care. They are nice people & ran their own race. I like Tara & Joey, too, but Joey is SO hypocritical. The boys got-got by the train & cab driver. It happens all the time. That said, I think Brooke & Scott are going to win and I think I just threw up in my mouth. I hate Brooke. There, I said it.

Edited by ByaNose
  • LOL 1
  • Love 16

I felt for Tara -- I would still be sitting there.  Since I don't play video games at all, learning strategy on the fly would have just driven me nuts.

The only reason Brooke was reasonably quiet tonight (although she did bitch at the cup stacking and the restaurant, didn't she?) -- she knew Matt and Redmond were probably way behind and they had a cushion.

Logan did a great job on the video game...just kept banging away till she won.  Is that a strategy, lol?

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, enlightenedbum said:

Isn't the second rule of TAR (after read the fucking clue) that the train is always slower than a cab?  Have we ever seen a train be the faster option?

This makes me want to see a final leg in Chicago at rush hour :)

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, enlightenedbum said:

Tara approached that task all wrong.  Gaming is like anything else, you get better with practice.  By changing characters all the time, she was resetting her learning curve.

The other approach, especially if you're a novice with a fighting game, was London's strategy of just mashing buttons and hoping.  Basically how everyone approaches their first fighting game.

It's pretty clear that Tara psyched herself out, which is never a good approach -- no matter what it is, just treat it like a puzzle that can be solved.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Joey wasn't "talking trash".  Talking trash is boasting about how much better you are than your opponent and how you are going to beat them.

Joey was whining like a little bitch, because Tara's oppenent having one hand tied behind his back and being blindfolded wasn't enough.  He wanted the guy to just lose on purpose.

The sense of entitlement that both Tara and Joey have shown in the last few legs is sickening.  They are now my least favorite racers ever. (Sorry, Justin.)  Justin was a douchebag but at least he didn't expect other racers and opponents in tasks to just lay down and let them win.

Speaking of season six, I take it you haven't seen it?  There are at least four racers far worse than either of them.

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, MLE said:

I don't know how this happened but I think I'm rooting...for.. Brooke and Scott??

I can't get over Joey freaking out at the gamer, and Tara definitely didn't help herself by continuously changing characters. I honestly thought Matt would catch up there for a second. Good editing.

Lolo or Scott and Brooke are fine with me as long as Tara and Joey don't win.  Worst sense of entitlement ever.

• Love 14
1 minute ago, Bryce Lynch said:

1 minute ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Joey wasn't "talking trash".  Talking trash is boasting about how much better you are than your opponent and how you are going to beat them.

In gaming, it's a very, very broad spectrum.  It includes whining and moaning about the lights, the softness of your chair, the speed of the connection, you name it.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Joey was whining like a little bitch, because Tara's oppenent having one hand tied behind his back and being blindfolded wasn't enough.  He wanted the guy to just lose on purpose.

The sense of entitlement that both Tara and Joey have shown in the last few legs is sickening.  They are now my least favorite racers ever. (Sorry, Justin.)  Justin was a douchebag but at least he didn't expect other racers and opponents in tasks to just lay down and let them win.

I didn't see entitlement tonight...I saw someone frustrated because his partner was completely out of her element.  Should he have kept quiet....probably...but also hard to do.  And to be honest, we know the "pros" in these challenges usually do let the teams win after a point...normally before that point was reached tonight.

• Love 13

Lolo or Scott and Brooke are fine with me as long as Tara and Joey don't win.  Worst sense of entitlement ever.

I like Tara & Joey in general but Joey really does have a big sense of entitlement. So the gamers were supposed to lose on purpose for Tara? Because they were kids? Because they were professional? I think Tara was talking about losing too much while doing it. She's usually a little more positive. Of course, her ass was on the line and when she saw the boys she must have died. 

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, enlightenedbum said:

A toxic part that kills a lot of online communities for me. :(

It drives me crazy too, but younger relatives I know shrug it off like it's nothing.  I wouldn't be surprised if it mellows out as gamers get older and you start seeing champions who rise above it, but right now it's a major part of it.

1 minute ago, ByaNose said:

I like Tara & Joey in general but Joey really does have a big sense of entitlement. So the gamers were supposed to lose on purpose for Tara? Because they were kids? Because they were professional? I think Tara was talking about losing too much while doing it. She's usually a little more positive. Of course, her ass was on the line and when she saw the boys she must have died. 

As I mentioned above, the "pros" in these types of challenges usually do let a struggling team win...and usually a lot sooner than Tara won.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, sinycalone said:

As I mentioned above, the "pros" in these types of challenges usually do let a struggling team win...and usually a lot sooner than Tara won.

In this case, the pros were given increasingly  severe handicaps.  The task was designed so that winning in the 31st round  (with the pro with his hand tied behind his back and blindfolded) should be an automatic win for the racer.  But, Tara was so incompetent that she took several of those rounds to finally win.

Plus, the pros were not letting the other racers win.

• Love 24

I do wonder a little about the guy Matt was facing, who was the same one that I think Scott had faced earlier.  I think the first match he may have been underestimating him based on Scott and Matt did pretty well.  Then the next time they showed Matt his opponent had a hand tied behind his back though so he must have kicked his ass pretty thoroughly.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

In this case, the pros were given increasingly  severe handicaps.  The task was designed so that winning in the 31st round  (with the pro with his hand tied behind his back and blindfolded) should be an automatic win for the racer.  But, Tara was so incompetent that she took several of those rounds to finally win.

Plus, the pros were not letting the other racers win.

We don't know for sure at what point they were going to let the challengers win...if that was the case.  And, of course, we can't be sure they didn't let Scott and London win.:)

Speaking of Logan and London...I was surprised to read Logan has been dating Sara (eliminated with Shamir.

• Love 2

I've never played video games, so I would have been a major drag for any partner...was glad for Scott and Logan. The cup stacking would not have been any better...I would have lost there too. But making kimchee...I could do that. 

I was interested in seeing South Korea...and I enjoyed this leg. That said, it was nice that Brooke stopped whining, at least temporarily. Scott may not win a million dollars, but he deserves a medal for partnering with Brooke with as much grace as he did.

I am fine with the 3 teams in the finale...I like all of them, and was happy that they seem to like each other. Redmond bugged me from the start so I am glad he is gone, but picking the train was a fair choice, but the cabbie screwing them was unfortunate. I know it happens, but this late in the race, it never seems fair.

• Love 2

So that happened. Brooke shows she could actually do something without being a screaming bitch and the alpha male bro boys were eliminated. Wow! I also loved having two Roadblocks so both team members had to do one.

Of course, I knew by the way Redmond looked in the Talking Heads that they were eliminated, though they did do a decent job of catching up. I hate when bad taxi luck eliminates a team, and I wonder if they would have caught up, or if they missed train was just too much. They've won plenty of legs, so it's not like they're walking away empty handed.

Mom and Dad fail out of favor with their ugly attitudes tonight. Both of them were truly horrible, and I really hope they lose. And lose badly, like Team Guido not even crossing the finish line badly. As far as the the professional gamers were concerned, I'm really surprised they were able to do so well blindfolded.

Since I can't stand Brooke, even when she's fairly well behaved like tonight, I'm officially rooting for LoLo. Was it just me, or was Logan looking particularly sexy tonight? His guns were on prominent display thanks to the tank-top and bright lights of the cup stacking venue. I never really noticed him before until now.

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, sinycalone said:

We don't know for sure at what point they were going to let the challengers win...if that was the case.  And, of course, we can't be sure they didn't let Scott and London win.:)

Speaking of Logan and London...I was surprised to read Logan has been dating Sara (eliminated with Shamir.

I don't think they were ever going to let them win on purpose.  The handicaps were designed so that once they were blindfolded, a win for the racer should have been pretty much automatic.  It was practically a task that entailed nothing more than spending whatever number of minutes it took to get to the blindfold playing the game.

• Love 6

I don't think they were ever going to let them win on purpose.  The handicaps were designed so that once they were blindfolded, a win for the racer should have been pretty much automatic.  It was practically a task that entailed nothing more than spending whatever number of minutes it took to get to the blindfold playing the game.

You'd be surprised what pro gamers can do blindfolded just with audio cues and having total mastery of the game.  That was not necessarily a gimme.

• Love 8

I hated this leg design, once you fell back that was it. 

They deserved to be in the final, Phil should have pulled out  4 teams in the finale since this strangers thing was a fail as is. The boys  in my mind will always be the winners of this season with how well they worked together and accomplished their tasks. 

• Love 4

Poor Matt and Redmond I know they took the subway, but if the cab hadn't taken them to the wrong place, I think they would be in the F3. Gawd,I hate Brooke is still racing.!!!!

I didnt like the cups, but hell,  the gaming would have done me in. I'd of asked them to double blindfold the kid! 

Brooke's all smiles now, what a change...sigh.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Artsda said:

I hated this leg design, once you fell back that was it. 

They deserved to be in the final, Phil should have pulled out  4 teams in the finale since this strangers thing was a fail as is. The boys  in my mind will always be the winners of this season with how well they worked together and accomplished their tasks. 

They lost because they made a poor choice to go for the train instead of the taxi.  That's a better reason than a lot of eliminations on this show.  Though I'll agree that the leg wasn't particularly well designed.

• Love 8

At this point, I am rooting for anyone except Tara and Joey.  I loathe them.  They are so sanctimonious, hypocritical, and entitled.  They whined about Scott and Brooke using the U Turn when they themselves used it twice.  And on this leg... ugh.  Joey is a massive grade A asshole.  "Oh you're bullying a mom, you're awful."   The guy was just doing his job. But Joey expected him to just roll over because Tara is an "old lady".  And she's not even that old!

Brooke was surprisingly very likeable this leg.  She was confident and upbeat at the cup stacking.  She commented on how the kim chi place was so beautiful.  And even when she disagreed with Scott, she actually did it calmly and didn't screech.

London and Logan were finally very competent!   I wouldn't mind seeing them win.  The only thing I didn't like was when Logan said the kim chi tasted like soggy cabbage in Cajun spice   Way to be open to other cultures, dude.

Too bad for Matt and Redmond.  They gambled on the advice of locals that the train would be faster.  I guess it depends on what time they arrived.  They got a bad break, but didn't give up.

This episode really made me want to eat some kim chi.  I'm going to stop by a Korean grocery store tomorrow!

I disagree that the leg was poorly designed.   There was opportunity for shifting at the cups depending on how fast you got the hang of it.  And there was opportunity at the gaming.  Matt almost beat Tara even after being so far behind.  

The one thing I would have changed is that I wouldn't have had the kim chi lady tell them how many cabbages were good and how many were bad. I would have just said yes or no and let them figure it out.

• Love 16

Brooke was surprisingly very likeable this leg.  She was confident and upbeat at the cup stacking.  She commented on how the kim chi place was so beautiful.  And even when she disagreed with Scott, she actually did it calmly and didn't screech.

One leg, one leg from this whole season. The rest she's been a grade A bitch.

This episode really made me want to eat some kim chi.  I'm going to stop by a Korean grocery store tomorrow!

Snap! LOL

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

right.  What Joey said was "egotistical bastard wants to beat up on a girl."  And then some other comments.  "litte bastard, wont let her win.  all this work comes down to some  kid with an ego trip", "what is he proving, he can beat someone's mom in a video game?"

These video game players are playing, not just for TAR, but for the audience in the arena.  Joey acted like if their opponent is female, they need to let her win.   Yeah, and when stacking cups, do female players get a few extra seconds?  I liked this team before, but he lost me for good.

I hate that Brooke had some experience with cup-stacking, and Scott knew the video game.  Yes, it's a coincidence, I'm sure, but I hate that they had that advantage.  I really don't want Brooke and Scott to win.  But I don't really like any of the teams at this point.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 15

I disagree that the leg was poorly designed.   There was opportunity for shifting at the cups depending on how fast you got the hang of it.  And there was opportunity at the gaming.  Matt almost beat Tara even after being so far behind.  

The cup stacking was something like 7-12 seconds/attempt.  So if you do much, much better at it, you're still only going to make up something like 5 minutes.  A Street Fighter round is two minutes so unless you win before the blindfold stage that's not going to be a huge difference.  Only a fairly spectacular meltdown makes that difference meaningful compared to transportation, which is not ideal for a TAR leg.

• Love 4

Funny how nice Brooke is when things go her way and then goes bitch mode when she has to cook with Scott. "Don't get mad at me, you're getting frustrated."

I'm glad they checked the rolls before they had to take them to bury them.  If they had to restart again that would have been wrong.

The video gaming looked really difficult. "Just press the button."  stfu, Brooke.

Ugh, Brooke really is going to win this thing, isn't she?

What came after the blindfold?  Having both hands tied behind your back?

Matt and Redmond got screwed by taxi karma. Matt looked like he was about to cry there at the end.

• Love 5

Matt and Redmond fell one leg short. Suck on your puns even if you were both tolerable this time and not the team I wanted out.

Tara and Joey sure are on a high horse about what children and teenagers do. This is why your generation is down in the dumps, Mom and Dad. Even when you're that old you should be learning new things instead of being set in your ways. Tara was barely even trying to learn the controls. No focus whatsoever. Joey had to demonize the opponent because they can never accept their own faults. Their noses sure were stuck upwards as to why people would enjoy that activity. "I'm too busy fighting the bad guy in real life". Right, whatever you say.....

LoLo and Brooke/Scott have a lot to thank for their alliance and luck, they are both interesting results since their placings have improved all season long. I want a bickering pair to finally win just for the lulz. LoLo is the most neutral in terms of villainous moments. Even if you don't like them there's always Season 30.

• Love 12