Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Blurb

• Start Topic

(edited)

Man, I feel for everyone else in Jonah's Judaism class. It's one thing for other government people to deal with his usual combination of belligerence and stupidity, but inflicting that upon normal people is just mean.

Ha, OF COURSE Montez hired Candi Caruso! Love that all the women are always interrupting to ask, "Are you okay?" when they see Jonah talking to anyone female. As they should!

As soon as Tom asked Selina not to include their sexcapades in her book, I knew that meant he was going to beat her to the punch. I expect no less from him. I mean, we're talking about someone who tried to steal the Presidency from her. Why would she expect any less when it came to revealing that they'd had sex?

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 8

Jonah attending conversion class was hilarious. "Is there like a Jew place for dogs?"

It was great seeing Marwood again. This exchange in particular was gold:

Furlong: Madam President, my extremist colleagues on the other side of the aisle have launched a full-fledged and savage attack against the poor and disadvantaged of this country!

Marwood: You are addicted to spending like the proverbial drunken sailor!

Furlong: ...Okay, that part's done. I can give you a freeze on the rate of increase on the FTC and all the Head Start cuts, but no dice on Medicare.

Marwood: I can live with that.

So great.

I noticed that Jonah's contingent of followers is growing ever larger. The Jeffersons (hee) only took up a table, and now they take up an entire room. I'm guessing Jonah's popularity will likely blow up in his face when he's blamed for the shutdown and resulting economic crisis, but I have to admit it was a little satisfying seeing Furlong speechless for once. It was awesome when the Congresswoman he insulted by claiming she had a large cock went on to sneer "If you'll excuse me, Roger, I'm going to whip it out" and voted "No" on the bill.

I can't remember if previous seasons had such a predictable pattern, where Selina looks like she might be getting something nice (a flattering speech from Montez and a lavish unveiling ceremony) and then it's taken away from her at the last minute in humiliating fashion...although I suppose that if she had invited Jonah to the unveiling ceremony in the first place, none of that would have happened. 

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, scrb said:

Does Selena still not get that Richard is the sperm donor of her grandchild?

Yep -- but she'll realize it once the baby is born. I can't wait to watch her reaction. The writers can go so many ways with the reveal.  I think the last time was with Nip/Tuck:

3260079_51df073a_m.jpeg

I imagine Selena will make a similar face. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Dan and his cohost having poor chemistry despite banging in real life reminded me of actor/actress couples who when they play opposite each other have no onscreen chemistry whatsoever, even though they're involved or even married in real life. It does happen.

10 minutes ago, CofCinci said:

Yep -- but she'll realize it once the baby is born. I can't wait to watch her reaction. The writers can go so many ways with the reveal.  I think the last time was with Nip/Tuck:

3260079_51df073a_m.jpeg

I imagine Selena will make a similar face. 

I dunno. As narcissistic as Selina is, she may react similarly to another famous fictional narcissist, Eddie from Absolutely Fabulous, who reacted this way when she learned that her grandchild would be mixed:

Edina 'Eddy' Monsoon: I'm gonna have a mixed-race baby! I'm gonna have a mixed-race baby, darling!

Patsy Stone: It doesn't make any difference, it's still a baby!

Edina 'Eddy' Monsoon: It makes a difference, darling, a mixed-race baby is the finest accessory a person in my position could ever have, sweetheart! Oh, my God, it's the must-have of the season! It's the CHANEL of babies!

Eddie worked in PR and not politics, but the same sentiments may well apply.

Also, many people believe that mixed-race babies result in much more attractive adults than other babies--and in particular that, as Happy Endings writers put it, "half-black is God's photoshop"--so if Selina believes that, given her low opinion of Catherine's attractiveness, she may well welcome Richard's DNA into the mix.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 7
18 minutes ago, CofCinci said:

Yep -- but she'll realize it once the baby is born. I can't wait to watch her reaction. The writers can go so many ways with the reveal.  I think the last time was with Nip/Tuck

There may be a more recent instance yet, but Girlfriends' Guide to Divorce did this in February 2016.

Spoiler

The girlfriend (a TV actress) of the protagonist's divorced husband was pregnant, the divorced parents after some tense conversations (they had been thinking about reconciliation) had come to terms with it and told their children to expect a new baby brother, both were present at the birth... and the baby clearly had a black parent. (The father turned out to be Taye Diggs -- the actor himself, not a character played by him.)

The Veep writers were surely having some fun with Selina's obliviousness when they had her say "This is a human being you're making, not some Brooklyn-based artisanal chocolate bar."

• Love 3

Love that all the women are always interrupting to ask, "Are you okay?" when they see Jonah talking to anyone female. As they should!

The second woman who came up to Montez was Janet from The Good Place.

I love the little "stories" the CBS morning show alludes to, like the Smores expose and whether reading is bad for you.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

The second woman who came up to Montez was Janet from The Good Place.

I love the little "stories" the CBS morning show alludes to, like the Smores expose and whether reading is bad for you.

The sex offender registry for dogs was the funniest yet.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

Even Jonah, written specifically to be the most self-serving and impulsive fuck-up in Washington is being out-done by reality.

I assume they wrote this episode before "maybe the government should be shut down," so whoa. I actually like Jonah's plot. He must have a sizable caucus now if they can shut down the government.

I don't really find Selina and Tom James having sex to be particularly scandalous. Selina being divorced at the time AND being President, I think there would be a huge media circus over whom she might be possibly dating anyway, so this is like ok, so what. I get that it's about Tom James putting one over on her with the book. The funnier parts were Gary trying to cover up that he saw them. 

"Look at my neck. No in the picture." Amy's reaction shots are priceless. Furlong would be in for it if she works for him. 

• Love 1

I find myself re-watching the episodes after the gems everyone else notices and I miss.

Anything around Jonah and Bent is gold, and turning off the TV on the New Hampshire hurricane was amazing.

• Love 2
On 5/29/2017 at 11:17 AM, Eyes High said:

Dan and his cohost having poor chemistry despite banging in real life

I was struck by the irony of his situation.  No one believed he and whats-her-name weren't banging, and now no one believes he and whats-her-name are banging.

• Love 1
On 5/29/2017 at 11:32 AM, ganesh said:

I actually like Jonah's plot. He must have a sizable caucus now if they can shut down the government.

That's what SHE said.

I'm kind of amazed that so many representatives are in agreement with Jonah and follow him and apparently respect him. I suppose this plot is partially about how stupid and blind some people can be in falling in line with politicians who don't know what they're doing. Hmmm, that sounds familiar...

I loved the little bit when Selina's editor asked for some kind of weird tea, and Gary was amazed and so happy that he had it. Oh, then later when they're watching Tom James on TV and he says that Selina is a year older than him, Gary and Selina gasping together was wonderful.

Jonah in the Judaism class was just awful. Of course. It was all pretty funny, but he's so terrible.

• Love 12

I don't know if they respect him, but he's angry and loud, and they're all getting some attention now. It's probably just as much as finally getting a chance to stick it to Furlong. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I loved the little bit when Selina's editor asked for some kind of weird tea, and Gary was amazed and so happy that he had it. Oh, then later when they're watching Tom James on TV and he says that Selina is a year older than him, Gary and Selina gasping together was wonderful.

I was so happy for Gary then. And I loved him trying to prevent Selina from falling onto another couch with Tom James. Selina: Maybe I should go talk to him. -No, no, no, no, no. Mike: Should I come with you and take notes? -Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. Oh, Gary. If it's not Tom James, it's just going to be some other poor choice.

A moment that I found randomly touching was Ben commenting on Kent's jai alai instructor. Female-ish. It's a slur, yet all I was thinking was, how cute, Ben met Kent's date.

• Love 1

I am loving seeing Jonah in Washington and especially now that he's engaged! I can't wait for the wedding. His character is such a stupid asshole so I was excited to see a woman that actually didn't "need help" but is choosing to marry this creep, must be some desperate women in DC

Love Kent (Gary Cole is always good in drama or comedy and he is aging like a fine wine) and Ben and Richard is a fave too. 

I'm kind of amazed that so many representatives are in agreement with Jonah and follow him and apparently respect him. I suppose this plot is partially about how stupid and blind some people can be in falling in line with politicians who don't know what they're doing. Hmmm, that sounds familiar...

Yeah I think "The Jeffersons" are a pretty blatant parody of the Tea Party, or the Freedom Caucus, or whatever they're calling themselves now. I think it speaks to the desire for power - you get enough like-minded individuals grouped together and they can hold congress hostage and demand whatever they want. Doesn't matter if those leading the charge are obvious morons, they're giving the people in their group the power they desire.

What kind of oddball Munsters fan wrote this episode anyway? I can understand Kent knowing every single piece of political trivia known to mankind and correcting people's grammar . . . but knowing which episode of The Munsters featured Herman's twin brother is maybe a step too far, even for Kent.

I loved the ending with Dan and the new anchor shooting at some live remote location and you can hear someone in the crowd yelling "Bring back Jane!" and someone else (or maybe the same person) yelling "You suck!"

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Ki-in said:

choosing to marry this creep, must be some desperate women in DC

I don't think she is desperate at all, I think she sees someone she can mold and control.

• Love 7

I agree - she is shrewd enough to recognize an opportunity when she sees one. I'm not sure if she'll end up marrying him. This may just be a stepping stone for her. On the other hand, I can also see her marrying him and then wielding power for the rest of Jonah's life.

14 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I don't think she is desperate at all, I think she sees someone she can mold and control.

Absolutely, and she sees Jonah as he really is:  ignorant, selfish, immature and egotistical.  Excellent qualities for a life-long career in DC.

• Love 4

I hope by the end of the season Jonah is like deputy whip or something. I so want to see him fail upward as a result of the Jeffersons. Oh, I meant, move on up.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Absolutely, and she sees Jonah as he really is:  ignorant, selfish, immature and egotistical.  Excellent qualities for a life-long career in DC.

Don't we all strive to find a partner who accepts us for exactly who we are?

Jonah is a luckier motherfucker than anyone else on this show, and I can't wait until next season when he runs for President.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, ganesh said:

I don't think he is. For the show to come full circle, it would have to end with Jonah as Veep. 

If he isn't old enough to be President than he isn't old enough to be Vice President.

Tim is 38, I have no idea how old Jonah is supposed to be.

On 6/1/2017 at 0:44 PM, revbfc said:

Jonah is a luckier motherfucker than anyone else on this show, and I can't wait until next season when he runs for President.

With Selina as his running mate. 

Interesting to speculate the show might come "full circle" by ending with Selina becoming Veep again. She wouldn't necessarily need to be a running mate; she could be appointed, just as Gerald Ford was. From what I gather, ratings have slipped this season, so there's a good chance this is going to be the last one.

Ford was already in the House at the time though. It doesn't mean Selina can't be appointed if she's still in public life. It wouldn't be more of a stretch then the election on the show. 

Frank Rich gave some interviews when this season premiered.

In one of them, I think he said the joke is that Selina will never really hold power.  That was apparently the case under Ianucci and they plan to keep it that way.

They did several seasons of Selina and company scheming against the WH to run for office.  I guess they must figure that's been done enough.  Now she's going around the world schmoozing with unsavory dictators and so on, as long as she can collect some money.

That latter narrative is getting stale though because there's no real stakes in a sense. I was hoping she'd have some UN position because it's something reasonably official but not real power and she still get a wide variety of people to interact with. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Interesting to speculate the show might come "full circle" by ending with Selina becoming Veep again. She wouldn't necessarily need to be a running mate; she could be appointed, just as Gerald Ford was. From what I gather, ratings have slipped this season, so there's a good chance this is going to be the last one.

One more anyway (probably belongs in media)

http://deadline.com/2017/05/veep-original-cast-deals-season-7-julia-louis-dreyfus-tony-hale-matt-walsh-1202102669/

Possibly she just doesn't care.

That's my impression.  She'd be happy to use the kid as a prop, but is too self-centered to care in a more general sense about the baby.  Also, she probably doesn't like anything that suggests she's old enough to have a grandchild. 

• Love 1

The sexual tension between Selena and Tom is crazy. Every time they had a moment close together it was super hot fire! I was actually amazed. You don't see that kind of chemistry very often.

• Love 2