Type keyword(s) to search

World Of Dance - General Discussion

• Start Topic

S4.E6: Duels 1

The duels begin, and the judges have picked which acts go head-to-head in epic dance battles for a spot in the semifinals; guest judge tWitch decides which acts battle in Redemption to earn a spot in the semifinals on the "World of Dance" stage.

Original air date: 6/30/20

Upper division:

Spoiler

Jefferson Y Adrianita vs. Luca & Allesandra

Jefferson & Adrianita Dance to "El Rey Del Timbal" by Tito Puente

Luca & Alessandra Dance to "Drop" by Diplo

The Rise vs. UPeepz

UPeepz Dances to "Hotel Room Service" by Pitbull

The Rise Dances to "Don't Cha" by The Pussycat Dolls

Kurtis Sprung vs. Styles & Emma

Styles & Emma Dance to "Someone You Loved" by Lewis Capaldi

Kurtis Sprung Dances to "Bad" by James Bay

Yeah, I know Jefferson Y Adrianita probably was more fun than Luca & Allesandra and had more TRICKS, that magic word (TM JLo), but Adrianita irks me, she has a resting AND active bitch face and seems to be someone I would NOT want to know IRL. I was hoping for Luca & Allesandra to win that duel, but then again, no TRICKS spells doom on this show.

How anyone could vote for The Rise over UPeepz staggers me. UPeepz had a complete theme going with their music, plus gave The Rise a plane ticket home, complete with their luggage ready to go. And like JLo, I kept wondering what that was on the floor behind The Rise; turns out it was the guy's shoes. Eh. Hope tWitch doesn't pick them for redemption.

Kurtis Sprung ... my new tv boyfriend. Feel free to leave a close up of his face on screen for the entire show, show. He's my wish to win this entire show. Then he can dump that girlfriend and I'll take her place. Yeah, now THAT'S the ticket ...

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

First off - I LOVE TWITCH!!!! So happy to see him show up on anything!

So I was torn on the ballroom couples - I liked Luca/Allessandra more but Jefferson/Adrianita definitely had a higher energy performance. I think my struggle with the latin couple is the faces Adrianita makes during the dance - for some reason her intense open mouth expressions pull me out of enjoying the dance. 

I was hoping for Upeepz as they are just so much fun and quirky and entertaining. The rise is talented but I felt disconnected from their routine a bit. 

I do think Kurtis was stronger than the ballet duo. However I think Styles was held back by Emma and their routine wasn't as strong as it probably could have been. If Styles had performed solo, I think he would have beat Kurtis.  

Now back to TWITCH!!! 🙂 He was adorable and just loves seeing passionate dancers perform. Loved the kneeling by the fire thing he did for the ballroom. But then Derek started to do it too and it was so awkward!!! Like a dad trying to use kid slang/be hip!!! 🤣

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, slaterain said:

Now back to TWITCH!!! 🙂 He was adorable and just loves seeing passionate dancers perform. Loved the kneeling by the fire thing he did for the ballroom. But then Derek started to do it too and it was so awkward!!! Like a dad trying to use kid slang/be hip!!! 🤣

LOL! Awkward does describe Derek. He tries so hard to be "cool." If he'd just settle down, it wouldn't be so obvious.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, slaterain said:

However I think Styles was held back by Emma and their routine wasn't as strong as it probably could have been. If Styles had performed solo, I think he would have beat Kurtis.  

As they were dancing, I thought that the judges should tell him he needs to perform by himself in the future so I agree.

• Love 3
(edited)

Why wear pointe shoes if the dancer does not actually do pointe work? That is the one criticism I have of the contemporary ballet couple. I'm glad Kurtis beat them.

Edited by luvthepros
  • Love 2
(edited)

S4.E7: Duels 2

The duels continue with the judges having picked which acts go head-to-head in epic dance battles for a spot in the semi-finals; guest judge tWitch decides which acts will battle in redemption and earn a spot in the semi-finals.

Original air date: 7/14/20

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Anyone else feel super cheated that the show ended before we got tWitch's redemption votes? We're now ending freaking World of Dance on a cliffhanger? /groan

I was super disappointed that Styles & Emma didn't make it through. I'm tired of hip hop/street dance acts making it on these shows based on tricks & fun music, whereas dancers with years of training in a classical style (a difficult one, no less) get cut. I know Kurtis was contemporary so that complaint doesn't apply with him - and maybe this is an unpopular opinion - but I thought Styles & Emma were better. I mostly find solo acts boring & tend to fast forward. I watched Kurtis and it was good, he's a great dancer, but I still found it ho-hum. Plus, I truly appreciate the training & skill it takes to partner. 

Why the hell does this show constantly pan to the damn judges while dancers are performing? I don't care to see J-Lo or Derek's reaction in the middle of a freaking routine, I want to see the dancing

• Love 6
14 hours ago, bobby2018 said:

ElectricBoogaloo, 
Really appreciate you posted these 
Backstage to Main Stage  and Front Row videos 😊

I enjoy them much more than the actual performances with the swoopy cameras and the constant cuts to the judges!

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Keekski said:

Did I miss the Juniors division? Last night was a repeat of last week's upper division. Am I going crazy? 

I got a repeat also. Anyone got the new one? 

7 hours ago, Keekski said:

Did I miss the Juniors division? Last night was a repeat of last week's upper division. Am I going crazy? 

2 hours ago, PattyG said:

I got a repeat also. Anyone got the new one? 

My TV channel (CTV in Canada) was advertising a new episode for Tuesday, July 14. We had a repeat last night too. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I cannot stand The Rise. Their Duels routine to "Doncha wish your girlfriend was hot like me" was not cute or sexy. I found it totally cringeworthy. I don't ever want to see them on my screen again, and I've had all I can tolerate of their leader! </rant over>

This show must have suffered a massive budget cut--they're staging everything in this warehouse instead of a proper studio auditorium, no more fancy 360 degree cameras or touchscreen tablets for the judges to do their voting on. Hell, they even took away the judges' table!

Edited by Rahul
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, Rahul said:

This show must have suffered a massive budget cut-

I think they fired their sound mixer as well. This season has been atrocious with the constant changing of levels and background noise during the dances.

On 7/9/2020 at 11:11 PM, Rahul said:

I cannot stand The Rise. Their Duels routine to "Doncha wish your girlfriend was hot like me" was not cute or sexy. I found it totally cringeworthy. I don't ever want to see them on my screen again, and I've had all I can tolerate of their leader! </rant over>

This show must have suffered a massive budget cut--they're staging everything in this warehouse instead of a proper studio auditorium, no more fancy 360 degree cameras or touchscreen tablets for the judges to do their voting on. Hell, they even took away the judges' table!

I don’t like The Rise either and their leader better not come back as part of a different group next year! 

I love Twitch. he can replace Derek, or Neyo, or Jennifer next season! I appreciate his input, especially tonight about Oxygen’s locking and popping. 

• Love 7

I'm sad to lose the ballroom team. 

I liked Oxygen and would have picked them in the first round.  The fact that they came out with such great "to be saved" routine makes me suspect producer shenanigans. 

• Love 8
(edited)

4.7 performances

The duels:

Spoiler

Jake & Chau vs. Josh & Erica

Jake & Chau Dance to "Chainsmoking" by Jacob Banks

Josh & Erica Dance to "Bury a Friend" by Billie Eilish

Géométrie Variable vs Oxygen

Géométrie Variable Dance to "Never Be Like You" by Flume

Oxygen Dances to "Get Up Offa That Thing" by James Brown

Redemption round:

Spoiler

Styles and Emma vs Oxygen

Styles & Emma Dance to "Weight In Gold" by Gallant

Oxygen Dances to "Santa Maria" by The Gotan Project

Front row: Styles & Emma

Backstage to main stage: Oxygen

I skipped last week because the week before was so irritating, but caught this week. I was hoping the duo with the suspenders would have gotten redemption, their routine was my fav of the night. I'm not a fan of Styles and Emma.

I agree that tWitch is a great judge. He has much to add.

I did think it rude of judges jumping up and running around dancers and bowing to them and telling them how GREAT they were before the second act had a chance to perform. Talk about a burn. Big ouch.

The French Geometry guys were my favs that got sent through. I could see them winning the whole thing. Of course, not much on this show goes along with my way of thinking so I don't count on that happening!

• Love 2
(edited)

Was Ric Flair the 5th judge? Derek, Ne-Yo and Stephen Boss needed to shut the fuck up with all the WOOOooooo’s.

As desperate and manic and extra as Derek is, Ne-Yo is by far my least favorite judge. You watch the routines specifically looking for things to dislike? That’s not judging, that’s being a caricature of a critic. My favorite part of the episode is when the audience (and Derek) failed to play along with his “how much?” Sorry buddy, this isn’t Beat Shazam and you’re not Jamie Foxx.

Thought it was weird how Stephen was all that was artistry, I’m proud to be a fellow dancer to Josh and Erica, but didn’t pick them. 

I like Geometry a lot but I suspect the judges are soon going to tire of their style and not know how to score them.

Edited by dmeets
On 7/7/2020 at 2:20 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The duels continue with the judges having picked which acts go head-to-head in epic dance battles for a spot in the semi-finals; guest judge tWitch decides which acts will battle in redemption and earn a spot in the semi-finals.

I'm really not loving how subjective this season is with no real scoring, just the judges pointing to the person they prefer. There is psychological pressure for the judges to 'go with the majority' in a way that wasn't there when each judge privately put in scores based on specific criteria. Not a fan at all. 

UPeepz routine was gold so they should have won, but I still loved the Rise and was so bummed that they didn't go forward. I liked that bleached blond kid, a fantastic dancer and charismatic. I hope we see him again. His story last season about dancing on the show to get his absentee dad's attention just shredded my heart. 

Emma and Styles should have gone forward. Period. For me, they should have won their duel. The judges should have never paired Geometrie and Oxygen in a duel-- they both are some of the strongest teams and both should have gone forward against other acts in the duel round. I do think the Alesandra tango pair should have gone forward too, they were fantastic. So far, the judges have allowed some subpar acts into the semifinal. They do this every year for dramatic effect, and it just sucks because the dancers they send home deserve better. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, mandigirl said:

I do think the Alesandra tango pair should have gone forward too, they were fantastic. So far, the judges have allowed some subpar acts into the semifinal. They do this every year for dramatic effect, and it just sucks because the dancers they send home deserve better. 

This. I loved the Alesandra tango pair and I usually really dislike ballroom. But they are fantastic. Also, I hate Geometrie so much. They do nothing for me. They reminded me of those French brothers who won the first season. I really disliked them as well. 

• Love 2
(edited)
20 hours ago, mandigirl said:

There is psychological pressure for the judges to 'go with the majority' in a way that wasn't there when each judge privately put in scores based on specific criteria

I had forgotten about those video clips the show inserted after every routine to make it look like the judges were actually voting on their scoring iPads. JLo's hand stand in had to change her nail color so the pre-taped clip matched her color of the week. That also took up some time that this season is filled with ... well, other stuff. As for judges pressured to "go with the majority," everyone is told ahead of time who and which team to put through. No one really believes this show and the judging is spontaneous, do they?

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

I was pissed to learn Oxygen had been pitted against Geometrie Variable for the duels. Both of these groups are incredible and extremely unique in their own right--why would the producers want to eliminate either? Moreover, these two are among only a handful of groups not based in the USA or Canada. Isn't this show World of Dance? It hardly lives up to its name showcasing global dance talent. 

In any case, I was relieved Oxygen was picked for the redemption round and absolutely smashed it with that routine. It would have been a travesty to loose them when they are a top contender for the title. 

Count me amongst those who don't like the "judging" format this season now that they've axed any attempt to score routines on a rubric. I detest the faux producer-driven tension--it's so formulaic and dull. With the exception of the very last duel, the first two judges will pick a different act as the winner of the duel to try and build suspense and draw out the process, despite the fact every round thus far has had a clear winner and loser. Then the third judge breaks the tie and selects the "winner" when likely they were all unanimous in their decision.

• Love 4
(edited)

Little one was pitted against a week group (the weakest one this week) so that she could go through.  That's my main take-away.  She's good for her age and is great at tricks.  I don't think she's a good mover.  That dance move where she's lifting up her knees looked really awkward.

Still really like the trio.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 4

Didn't really care for either Savannah or 305, but I would have given it to 305 just because I think they have the capability to do more dance than acrobatics <shrug>

Glad MDC3 made it through, I like them

Groovement(or however you spell it) won their duel for me as well

I feel like I'm forgetting a duel, but if I did that kind of says something...

• Love 3
(edited)

4.8 performances

Spoiler

grvmnt vs The Young Cast

grvmnt Dances to "Godzilla" by Eminem

The Young Cast Dances to "Come Thru" by DMX ft. Busta Rhymes

Savannah Manzel vs. 305

Savannah Manzel Dances to "Soldier" by Fleurie

305 Dances to "Confident" by Demi Lovato

MDC 3 vs. Chibi Unity

MDC 3 Dances to "Never Again" by Kelly Clarkson

Chibi Unity Dances to "Uproar" by Lil Wayne

Backstage to main stage: Chibi Unity

It was sooooo obvious that Savannah was going to win her duel before she even danced... or did her gymnastics floor routine, I should say.

Not to pick on a child, but that is not real dancing, just tricks. I am so over the obsession with kids doing stuff (not so well) but being slathered with praise just because of their age. This happens on all these competitive performing arts shows. 

• Love 7
18 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I hate that they pitted the two Canadian groups together because I loved them both, and as a Canadian, I would love to see them both make it to the big stage. 

ITA- I thought both of those groups should have made it. So far, with the exception of 305, I thought the other two 'cut' teams should have gone through but because of who they were paired with, they lost. Absolutely nothing against Savannah who is freaking adorable, but I would have preferred The Young Cast or the Japanese team to go forward. Now one of them will get cut. 

Very pleased about GRVMNT. That routine was awesome. Love that little kid they put up front, what a charismatic dancer. That duel was super close and once again, I thought both groups should have gone to the semifinals. 

• Love 5

S4.E9: Duels 4

The duels conclude with the judges having picked which acts go head-to-head in epic dance battles for a spot in the semi-finals; guest judge tWitch decides which acts will battle in redemption and earn a spot in the semi-finals on the stage.

Original air date: 7/28/20

(edited)

4.9 performances

Spoiler

Bailey and Kida vs James and Harris

Bailey & Kida Dance to "Isis" by Joyner Lucas

James & Harris Dance to "Let Me Go" by NF

Keagan Capps vs Maddy Penny

Maddy Penney Dances to "Maintenant" by Rupa & The April Fishes

Keagan Capps Dances to "Heart of Glass" by Blondie & Philip Glass

Redemption

Spoiler

The Young Cast vs James and Harris

The Young Cast: "Super Bad, Super Slick" by James Brown

James & Harris Dance to "Circles" by Post Malone

Front row: Keagan Capps

Front row: the Young Cast

Backstage to main stage: Bailey & Kida

(edited)

First of all, I'm not really a fan of whatever dance style it is that Bailey and Kida are doing, although I can admit they do it well. 

I don't think it's quite fair to pit amateurs against professional dancers, so I hope that the guys get a redemption spot.

I'm thinking, because they have professional dancers/groups as well as amateurs on the show, that they should have both an amateur and a professional category/winner, but maybe that's just me. <shrug>

And now I'll go watch the rest of the show...

Edited by marykat71702
  • Love 1

Poor Maddy didn't stand a chance. She wobbled, she missed her Aerial, and just overall wasn't very impressive.

And dang, I was really rooting for James and Harris. I was happy when they got picked for redemption, and bummed when they lost(and contemporary isn't even really one of my favorite genres).

• Love 1

No surprise, Bailey and Kida easily won their duel. I thought it was a good routine, they are both clearly very talented. 

I was relieved The Young Cast went forward but super bummed that Chibi Unity did not. They had one of the strongest routines of the duel round. 

I didn't expect it, but Reagan's routine was my favorite of the night. Great song choice and her emotion was genuine. 

The new 'scoring' method continues to grate. Depending on how the votes go, it makes one of the judge's decisions moot. Even if the scoring is more or less rigged, if the decisions of each of the judges doesn't matter, then why the heck are they on there! 

• Love 2

I don't like the way the judges paired the duels.  I thought James and Harris were one of the stronger teams but since they were paired against Bailey and Kida, they were going to lose.  I think Savannah should have been paired with Reagan since they are the ones most similar in style.  Both of them do a lot of tricks with very little dancing.  James and Harris could have been paired against Maddy.  305 against Bailey and Kida.  305 would have lost to whoever they were paired against and Bailey and Kida would have won anyway.

• Love 7