Type keyword(s) to search

Good Girls - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Can anyone explain how getting Eric to confess was ever going to work???  If he confessed, he would need to sound like he had some knowledge about the counterfeit process, right?  I a don’t think the FBI would be satisfied if someone walked in and said, “Yah, it was me! Lock me up please!”  Wouldn’t they ask for details like, Who else was in on it? How did you make the money? Where was the printing shop?  If the stuff Bethany her crew is printing is that close to perfect, then I would think the FBI wants to know some insider, expert knowledge to 1) help close this case, and 2) to learn from and educate the agents on future counterfeiters’ tricks of the trade.

I don’t have any sympathy for Beth or Annie’s current situations.  I just don’t like either one of them anymore.  I still like Ruby and Stan, but if Stan gets involved (more involved) in a criminal life, I will abandon ship. 

of all the implausible stuff happening on this show, I think the most puzzling thing in this episode was the FBI agent opting for “Corn Nuts” from the mini bar.  I didn’t see what else was in the tray, but just about anything else would be better than Corn Nuts.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Not only was it unlikely that the police would accept Eric's confession without corroboration, but what a coincidence that they would turn out to be so corrupt that they would mutually agree on a dime to steal the money. I guess if you live in Hollywood, you assume all Detroit cops must be crooked? Just totally unbelievable, like so many of these plotlines.

Also unbelievable- that a (relatively) flat chested teen would develop anything approaching Christina Hendricks' boobs (unless she acquired them the same way Christina did 🤑).

I was glad to see that Beth finally told the kids the truth and took them to visit Dean. But didn't they have 4 kids? 

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

I was glad to see that Beth finally told the kids the truth and took them to visit Dean. But didn't they have 4 kids? 

I had the same thought. Someone even said to her "you have 4 kids." What happened to number 4?

• Love 3

That was actually a better episode than I expected, it feels like things are actually happening. Its still filled with annoying contrivances and Beth not being anywhere near as smart as she thinks she is, but I am actually interested in seeing where this is going again, which is a big improvement for this show. The ladies were all basically in the same plot, we got some funny lines, and I liked the flashbacks to how Dean and Beth got together. The hitman plots needs to get wrapped up soon though, its so stupid its just embarrassing. 

The flashbacks to Dean and Beth did do a lot to explain their relationship, why they have stuck together for so long, and what attracted Beth to him in the first place. Dean has always had real "peaked in high school" energy, this all lines up with what we have seen of them now. As does Annie, being a little shit then as she still is now. I knew that Dean would plead guilty, the question is now how long will he actually stay in jail. I am glad that Beth told her kids the truth, no way could she keep that lie going for more than a week tops. 

Annie not letting Ben know how hurt she was that he wanted to spend more time at his dads was a nice moment of growth for her, and as annoying as Annie is I think this has actually been a good story for her. Her irresponsibility and unpleasantness has had real consequences and she is having to deal with them, and she actually put Ben and what was best for him first. Cant blame Ben for wanting to stay with his dad and step mom though, it seems like his life over there is pretty awesome and much more drama free than when he is with Annie. 

I did think that the guy who couldn't get arrested because he was invisible was funny, even though I knew that their plan wouldn't work because that would be too easy. I also chuckled a bit at Rio's reaction to Dean being in jail, he actually sounded pretty sincere when he was saying how its not a big deal. He'll only get a few years, the kids can visit, and he'll be in such great shape when he gets out Beth might even be hot for him again! Why's Beth so stressed? 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
42 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

Also unbelievable- that a (relatively) flat chested teen would develop anything approaching Christina Hendricks' boobs (unless she acquired them the same way Christina did 🤑).

I agree that they should have at least padded the teenager, since all the super huge breasts people I personally know sprouted them early.  I don't think Christina's boobs are fake though, and she has denied it and scoffed at it several times.

Not only do they look real to me, I believe that there are men who go wild for huge boobs (like the hit man) no matter what the rest of the woman looks like, when you add in "pretty" and Christina certainly is pretty, game over.

All my cousins, and my nieces have giant boobs, which they do their best to minimize.  All have been harassed often by men everywhere.  In my family at least, boobs came very early for them, around 12 years old, in one case at 10.  If we just were walking to the store, or a park men would honk, go nuts, if one passed us by, one cousin simply said:  "Yes they are real" and kept walking when we were stopped, which oddly worked, the man, usually with a look like he'd just seen heaven or a pot of gold, wonder all over his face, said back "thank you" breathlessly.

I was shocked.  I basically said, "What the hell was that?"  She told me it happens all the time, they always ask the same thing, so if I answer first it saves time."

ETA

Sad that she'd been dealing with that long enough to know how to get rid of the men.  She was 13 at the time that happened while I was there, the men were old (to me, over 35 at least.)

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, preeya said:

I had the same thought. Someone even said to her "you have 4 kids." What happened to number 4?

When Beth first visited Dean in jail she said Kenny (for some reason I can only remember this kids name) was at some tournament or camp in Kalamazoo, so I assume that's why only three kids were there. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Umbelina said:

I agree that they should have at least padded the teenager, since all the super huge breasts people I personally know sprouted them early. 

That was definitely true for me; I was a D-cup by the time I was 15, and maxed out at DDD in my early 20s (any larger and I would have gotten a breast reduction). But I've also heard of some women who were B-cups before kids and then grew substantially during pregnancy and stayed that way.

I do think that Christina is all natural just because I can't fathom anyone *choosing* to go that big. There are so many issues with back pain, not being able to sleep on your stomach, finding clothes that fit, and decent bras at that size cost a fortune.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

That was definitely true for me; I was a D-cup by the time I was 15, and maxed out at DDD in my early 20s (any larger and I would have gotten a breast reduction). But I've also heard of some women who were B-cups before kids and then grew substantially during pregnancy and stayed that way.

I do think that Christina is all natural just because I can't fathom anyone *choosing* to go that big. There are so many issues with back pain, not being able to sleep on your stomach, finding clothes that fit, and decent bras at that size cost a fortune.

Exactly.  Strippers maybe, but not someone who wanted to be a serious actress.

One cousin was scheduled for a breast reduction at age 58 (it's a big deal to do that operation, involves moving nipples, etc.)  She just couldn't afford if before that, and her former husband loved them.  He died suddenly of a heart attack pretty young.  Anyway, a guy at work (all of them really) loved her boobs, and she eventually started dating him.  They are married now, but she had to promise not to have her boobs reduced.  

Men and boobs honestly bewilder me, not all men of course, but so many are fascinated by SIZE more than just nice boobs.

My niece was in a DD at age 10, they grew from there.  She's lucky though, they never grew more than a DDDD, so she's not in Christina's boat at least.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

Exactly.  Strippers maybe, but not someone who wanted to be a serious actress.

One cousin was scheduled for a breast reduction at age 58 (it's a big deal to do that operation, involves moving nipples, etc.)  She just couldn't afford if before that, and her former husband loved them.  He died suddenly of a heart attack pretty young.  Anyway, a guy at work (all of them really) loved her boobs, and she eventually started dating him.  They are married now, but she had to promise not to have her boobs reduced.  

Men and boobs honestly bewilder me, not all men of course, but so many are fascinated by SIZE more than just nice boobs.

My niece was in a DD at age 10, they grew from there.  She's lucky though, they never grew more than a DDDD, so she's not in Christina's boat at least.

She had to promise not to have her boobs reduced? Geez. I have a friend who had the surgery last year, and she's very happy (her husband was supportive, too). Another mutual friend is about to have the same surgery, and her husband is supportive, too. I do everything I can to avoid surgery of any kind, but I might consider this one, if mine grew any bigger. Mine also sprouted early, and the attention I received because of them, was embarrassing. 

I haven't watched the episode yet. I'll do that soon.

• Love 2
On 3/22/2021 at 9:00 AM, BusyOctober said:

Can anyone explain how getting Eric to confess was ever going to work???  If he confessed, he would need to sound like he had some knowledge about the counterfeit process, right?  I a don’t think the FBI would be satisfied if someone walked in and said, “Yah, it was me! Lock me up please!”

I'm fuzzy on the details, but I know Rio said that Dean was a perfect fall guy because he didn't really know anything, so I'm not sure if any of it actually makes sense in terms of the writers' knowledge/intentions, but it makes sense in terms of her following Rio's advice, I think.

Also, to chime in on the boob talk, I was also "blessed" early in life, and they have been more of a curse than a blessing. I was so uncomfortable with all the male attention and harassment that I funneled it into overeating and obesity as a way of avoiding that attention, and I'm only just now, at 40, starting to understand this and get my life back. It wasn't just looks, either. I actually had a stranger walk up to me in public and tell me what he wanted to do with them (I'll spare you the actual language). That guy was clearly getting off on making me uncomfortable, but a lot of men think they're just giving a compliment and don't understand how hearing that over and over can actually make a woman feel worthless. For those of you with younger family members dealing with this, definitely check in on them and keep your eyes open! (I'm sure you do anyway, but just saying, all that unwanted attention can cause lasting psychological damage.)

Edited by LaMatadita
  • Love 6

Being an actor doesn't preclude people from getting surgery, quite the opposite!   It's extremely commonplace for female actors to do their nose, breasts, etc.   You can see pictures of Christina when she's much younger and she looks like a B cup.  Just my personal opinion.  I can see going to a C "naturally" from pregnancy or whatever but not to a triple D or whatever she is now.  Also, Christina doesn't even have kids.  

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, LaMatadita said:

I'm fuzzy on the details, but I know Rio said that Dean was a perfect fall guy because he didn't really know anything, so I'm not sure if any of it actually makes sense in terms of the writers' knowledge/intentions, but it makes sense in terms of her following Rio's advice, I think.

Also, to chime in on the boob talk, I was also "blessed" early in life, and they have been more of a curse than a blessing. I was so uncomfortable with all the male attention and harassment that I funneled it into overeating and obesity as a way of avoiding that attention, and I'm only just now, at 40, starting to understand this and get my life back. It wasn't just looks, either. I actually had a stranger walk up to me in public and tell me what he wanted to do with them (I'll spare you the actual language). That guy was clearly getting off on making me uncomfortable, but a lot of men think they're just giving a compliment and don't understand how hearing that over an over can actually make a woman feel worthless. For those of you with younger family members dealing with this, definitely check in on them and keep your eyes open! (I'm sure you do anyway, but just saying, all that unwanted attention can cause lasting psychological damage.)

Yep. I didn't overeat, but I covered myself up completely. Mum would ask me why I always wore leggings (or jeans), and really long, oversized tops with them, and that was why.

I've just watched the episode.  They are really doing their best to make Dean look like a great guy, but he was the reason they were heavily in debt in the first place. I know they kept the series going, because the girls liked the money, and Beth needed more excitement, but it looks like she doesn't want that anymore. Although we've been here before, where she's over it, and wants out. 

• Love 3

I liked this episode.

It was painful for Annie to agree that Ben should spend the majority of his time at his dad's, but it was good to see her finally make the mature, selfless decision for once. I wish we could see her put effort into being a parent that Ben actually wants to be close to, but this is a good first step.

Whenever the three girls are sitting side-by-side across from one of the many weirdos who populate this show's universe, you know shit is about to go down.

The casting for the flashback characters was definitely...interesting. Dean was the hardest to wrap my head around, if only because my idea of a high school-aged Matthew Lillard is always going to be

rose mcgowan smh GIF

• Love 9

So Dean brought trouble from the very beginning with Beth, and always counted on charming his way out of it.

Wow, blackmailing your boss? Agent Donnegan really, really wanted to prove herself right about Dean and Beth. Something about her annoys me.

A jail with benefits. Right. No one is that stupid.

Poor Stan. His gangster boss probably threatened his life--or worse--and Ruby is blissfully unaware.

I was confused by that preview. The FBI/Secret Service is going to give the good girls immunity so they can take down Rio? I thought Rio had protection. Beth should point the feds toward the nutbag hitman instead.

Manny Montana might as well be billed as a special guest star. He barely gets lines anymore.

• Love 2

Getting breast reduction surgery at age 40 (61 now) was one of the best decisions I ever made. I was so beaten down by the treatment I received from men. Trying to get me into bed, the stares, comments, etc. Today, I still am wary of a man's motives when he's trying to get to know me.

Anyway, it was a great experience as I didn't have any complications from the surgery and had an excellent plastic surgeon. I was also very, very lucky that my insurance covered it. I am tall and carried the extra boobage a little better that a smaller woman, but after the surgery, I realized how much tension I'd been carrying in my upper back and shoulders. It is great to be able to buy clothes that fit and wear sports bras all the time if I want to.

Personally, I would hate to be Christina's size but power to her. She can rock the hourglass look and it works on her.

• Love 6
On 3/22/2021 at 1:21 AM, chocolatine said:

I liked the flashbacks with teenage Beth and Dean (and little Annie being a ballbuster). There had to have been *something* about Dean that attracted Beth, and it was nice to finally see that. I think they used different young actresses than they did in last season's flashbacks that also had young Ruby, but that's OK.

Annie is still a hot mess, but I felt bad for her about Ben so quickly taking up her offer to stay at his dad's more often. Now he only wants to see Annie "on some weekends." It was a huge step for Annie to do what's objectively better for her son even though it crushed her.

The hitman story continues to make no sense. I was extremely grossed out with Beth putting her panties on the kitchen counter and leaving them there while she unloaded groceries. I have the feeling he's not going to take the rejection as calmly as he's letting on. So now Beth has pissed off two very violent men.

On 3/22/2021 at 12:26 PM, sempervivum said:

Not only was it unlikely that the police would accept Eric's confession without corroboration, but what a coincidence that they would turn out to be so corrupt that they would mutually agree on a dime to steal the money. I guess if you live in Hollywood, you assume all Detroit cops must be crooked? Just totally unbelievable, like so many of these plotlines.

On 3/22/2021 at 7:34 PM, helenamonster said:

I liked this episode.

It was painful for Annie to agree that Ben should spend the majority of his time at his dad's, but it was good to see her finally make the mature, selfless decision for once. I wish we could see her put effort into being a parent that Ben actually wants to be close to, but this is a good first step.

Whenever the three girls are sitting side-by-side across from one of the many weirdos who populate this show's universe, you know shit is about to go down.

The casting for the flashback characters was definitely...interesting. Dean was the hardest to wrap my head around, if only because my idea of a high school-aged Matthew Lillard is always going to be

rose mcgowan smh GIF

image.jpeg.0521288ac45d0e151e4240052213912d.jpegThe lady in the silver bikini is a young Christina H and she was beautiful then as she still is now.

The petite actress they cast did not look anything like her. She was much more cookie cutter Disney teenager.

Also, I am familiar with young Mathew Lillard (had a crush on him back in the day). He was never all American hunk/jock good looking.

Instead, he was more quirky cute. The type of guy that was a lot of fun to have around and would make you laugh. The cute clown rather than the quarterback.

I do find it weird that they are trying to retcon him into being a good guy when they painted him as such a shit in the first season. Remember when he pretended to have cancer?

I developed early and got shamed by my community for the attention I, an 11 year old, got from grown men. It led to a lot of shame about my body. It is horrible what this society does to little girls who have large breasts. Girls that young should not have to deal with that.

• Love 10

I wonder if David LaChapelle took that photo, it looks like his style.  It's so weird to reconcile that with Christina of today.  I think she looks very different.

Here's another one from the same shoot.

Google says that Christina's breasts are now 36F.  

c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636.jpeg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, qtpye said:

image.jpeg.0521288ac45d0e151e4240052213912d.jpegThe lady in the silver bikini is a young Christina H and she was beautiful then as she still is now.

The petite actress they cast did not look anything like her. She was much more cookie cutter Disney teenager.

Also, I am familiar with young Mathew Lillard (had a crush on him back in the day). He was never all American hunk/jock good looking.

Instead, he was more quirky cute. The type of guy that was a lot of fun to have around and would make you laugh. The cute clown rather than the quarterback.

I do find it weird that they are trying to retcon him into being a good guy when they painted him as such a shit in the first season. Remember when he pretended to have cancer?

I developed early and got shamed by my community for the attention I, an 11 year old, got from grown men. It led to a lot of shame about my body. It is horrible what this society does to little girls who have large breasts. Girls that young should not have to deal with that.

Yeah, back around 2006, this conversation was happening on another board, and one woman said that boys who were friends, told her that the large-breasted girls were just looking for attention, as though we pumped them up ourselves every day. 

On 3/22/2021 at 5:00 PM, LaMatadita said:

The weird thing about Rio being glad Dean is in jail is that Dean has no loyalty to him. This isn't some La Cosa Nostra thing. Dean hates Rio and probably has enough info to make his life very difficult. 

Which makes me wonder why there is no talk, especially from Dean, about trying to make a deal/witness protection. I know Beth doesn't seem to want to go that way but what about him. Sure it is a huge risk but it is weird that no one even brings it up as an option.

It is also weird that both stars of Weekend at Bernie's are in this show and they haven't had a scene together.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

The weird thing about Rio being glad Dean is in jail is that Dean has no loyalty to him. This isn't some La Cosa Nostra thing. Dean hates Rio and probably has enough info to make his life very difficult. 

Exactly, that's part of what I meant about not being sure that the writers fully know what they're doing! The characters can only be as smart as the writers, and the writers often seem to suffer from gaps in their knowledge (and sometimes gaps in their common sense).

Breaking Bad this is not. I mean, that show had some implausible things and some plotholes here and there, but it generally hung together well enough, and my interest in the character relationships made me not nitpick over the small details. This show doesn't have that much going for it, unfortunately!

• Love 4

I don't know with this show. I like some things about it, and other things I just can't stand. I don't even really know what's going on anymore because it's so convoluted. Does everybody have to keep sinking  deeper and deeper and deeper? The thing with Stan was particularly egregious. The show already has enough plot lines that it can't service or juggle.

Edited by DB in CMH
  • Love 11

To be honest, I have no emotional investment anymore and am just watching it because it's on. Half the time I forget to even watch it until 2 AM.

The main draws were the relationship between the three women, which is barely there so far this season, and Beth's relationship with Rio, which doesn't really even exist anymore, certainly not in a way that's compelling. I mostly just feel uncomfortable when they're on screen together. I get what they're doing in a thematic/metaphorical sense--the shine has worn off, and neither the crime nor Rio (the symbolic representation of crime in Beth's life) contain any real excitement anymore--but it's not pleasurable to watch.

• Love 11

Did Beth really think that Rio wouldn't be able to tell that "Dave" is a hitman and not a federal agent? Now Rio knows that Beth hired a hitman to kill him *and* that she was offered a deal by the feds to sell him out. As far as I'm concerned, Beth just passed the "too stupid to live" mark.

Is it just me or did Mae Whitman's hair change from scene to scene? It switched back and forth between fresh highlights and grown-out ones, which drove me crazy. I liked her scene with Ben after his lacrosse game, but then immediately hated her for intentionally killing the butterfly. 

• Love 7

This has always been my problem with keeping the “hot sexy Rio” around simply because he is hot and sexy.  The show needs to find more convoluted reasons why he isn’t dead by now.   The fun part of the show for me was the crime aspect and watch the girls straddle the line and maybe cross over it because it was more convenient to do so but having Rio be the hot sexy villain  just isn’t working for me.   

• Love 7

Congrats to Annie for growing the fuck up and ending the sessions with her inappropriate therapist. She also showed some growth by not glomming onto Ben the instant he gave her a bit of hope for their relationship.

I understand why Rio killed the hit man, but I don't understand why he called him Dave. (Love Andrew McCarthy's WTF "Dave?")

Beth will die if she bakes another cookie. Fine. There are plenty of other ways to contribute to society that aren't illegal. It's not as if she's chained to PTA events just because she has school-age kids. She's paid her dues there, I think. She can move on. She has no imagination.

Poor Stan. But I agree that his story is distracting. I love Reno Wilson, and I love Stan and Ruby's relationship, but why is this story?

Last night I realized I'm hate-watching this show. So disappointing, with the first season so promising.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

This has always been my problem with keeping the “hot sexy Rio” around simply because he is hot and sexy.  The show needs to find more convoluted reasons why he isn’t dead by now.   The fun part of the show for me was the crime aspect and watch the girls straddle the line and maybe cross over it because it was more convenient to do so but having Rio be the hot sexy villain  just isn’t working for me.   

Rio is the only reason I watch this show

23 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Congrats to Annie for growing the fuck up and ending the sessions with her inappropriate therapist.

Meanwhile, the therapist is only growing more obsessed with Annie.  He should be like Rainn Wilson on "Mom" or Gabriel Byrne on "In Treatment" and SEE HIS OWN DAMN THERAPIST!

24 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I understand why Rio killed the hit man, but I don't understand why he called him Dave. (Love Andrew McCarthy's WTF "Dave?")

I assume when Beth told Rio the guy's name is Dave, Rio simply believed her.  Then he did his own retcon work to find out what "Dave"'s motivations were?

Or, 180% the opposite, Rio called him that sarcastically as an in-joke to himself (and the audience).

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Poor Stan. But I agree that his story is distracting. I love Reno Wilson, and I love Stan and Ruby's relationship, but why is this story?

Last night I realized I'm hate-watching this show. So disappointing, with the first season so promising.

Why do Stan and Ruby get the woooooooooooooooooooorst storylines?

And to your last sentence, yes yes yes!

• Love 2

There are a million things about this show that could drive me up a wall, but I enjoy the cast so much that I am along for the ride.  Mae Whitman brings depth to characters that could easily be caricatures. Christina Hendricks is very strong in this role, and I flove Retta in everything she has done.  It is great to see her do both comedy and drama. I've liked Manny Montana for a long time. Reno Wilson is new to me; I have really enjoyed his performance and his interactions with Retta.  I fully buy them as a couple.  

So I see this as throw away, don't overthink it TV.  It's a Sunday night distraction to wind down the weekend. 

With that said, I do wonder if the organ donor couple is doing more of a long con by wanting to pay back the money for the car.  I am frustrated by the Stan storyline.  We are definitely seeing how their families are paying a high price for the women's choices.  And while I enjoy MM's performance and how he has tried to flesh out Rio, that story needs to go somewhere.  It has run the same cycle too many times now. 

• Love 8

Beth's plan seemed pretty crappy to me, it seems like its inevitably going to backfire on her when Rio figures out who "Dave" really was. That guy was so obviously a hitman and not a fed, he probably already knows what she did and is just stringing her along so he can use her and the ladies more. Beth keeps having opportunities to get out of her life of crime and always turns it down while still acting like she "has no choice" as to keep this up. I am waiting for her Walter White moment where she admits that, while she started out doing this for her family, she has kept it going because she likes it. She hates her suburban life, thinks she's better than it, and sees this as a way for her to feel special, more alive. Its a very crime heavy midlife crisis. 

Annie has actually showed some real growth lately, supporting Ben without making it about her and leaving behind her deeply inappropriate therapist. Plus I thought her asking really specific questions about where they would move in witness protection was funny, "American Samoa?" "All of the territories!" 

The season at least seems to be moving, while last season was just spinning its wheels episode after episode, but we have so many convoluted plots that its hard to keep everything straight. Everyone has a million subplots that are happening for a million reasons that I can hardly follow, we went from nothing happening to too much happening. This Stan plot especially stands out. I normally love Stan and Ruby but this just seems so pointless. So now Ruby is keeping secrets from Stan, Stan is keeping secrets from Ruby, and they have no connection to what is supposedly the actual main story. At least we have finally left the hitman story behind, but I am sure we will replace it for forty more subplots that will all outlive their narrative purpose. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6
46 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

At least we have finally left the hitman story behind, but I am sure we will replace it for forty more subplots that will all outlive their narrative purpose. 

That's one positive.

Beth constantly approaching Andrew McCarthy to do his job and Andrew obnoxiously talking about something TOTALLY UNRELATED was sooooooo tired.

Meanwhile of course if Rio does it I probably love it.

When they approached that storefront that was closed, whose was it?  The hitman's, or the money guy's that we like?  I saw the money guy is on this new show "Call me Kat" by the way.  I've never seen the show and my mom says it's horrible but she keeps watching it to see what horrible thing they'll do next.  

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3307497/?ref_=tt_cl_t6

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Beth constantly approaching Andrew McCarthy to do his job and Andrew obnoxiously talking about something TOTALLY UNRELATED was sooooooo tired.

He ended up being a rather tedious character, unfortunately.

8 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

When they approached that storefront that was closed, whose was it?  The hitman's

Yes, it was the hit man's business.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

He ended up being a rather tedious character, unfortunately.

Yes, it was the hit man's business.

Part of that is that neither Annie or Beth can not have a male in their life who does not either fall in love with them or want to sleep with them. It is the only way the writers seem to go with these two and it is beyond tired. 

I like Andrew McCarthy but could not take another monologue about Fiji.

Wouldn't it have been nice if the therapists was not obsessed with Annie and she actually focused on self improvement...never going to happen on this show.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I actually thought (at first) that it was somewhat clever of Beth to admit to Rio that the Secret Service had approached her and tell him the hitman was her handler. Endear herself to him in the short term and tied up a loose end. It didn't occur to me that Rio would, in all likelihood, kill the hitman when he was in the process of trying to kill Rio--since he was tailing Rio to kill him, it put him in close proximity to him and eliminated the legwork on Rio's end. As others have pointed out, not only does Rio now know that Beth tried to have him killed, but also that the Secret Service approached her and she may still be willing to cut a deal with them.

But otherwise yeah, this episode was really confusing. I have no idea what point Stan's storyline is supposed to have, and the bomb supply thing went nowhere.

I really hope Annie leaving her creepy therapist is for good. Please please please never let him come back.

6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Beth's plan seemed pretty crappy to me, it seems like its inevitably going to backfire on her when Rio figures out who "Dave" really was. That guy was so obviously a hitman and not a fed, he probably already knows what she did and is just stringing her along so he can use her and the ladies more. Beth keeps having opportunities to get out of her life of crime and always turns it down while still acting like she "has no choice" as to keep this up. I am waiting for her Walter White moment where she admits that, while she started out doing this for her family, she has kept it going because she likes it. She hates her suburban life, thinks she's better than it, and sees this as a way for her to feel special, more alive. Its a very crime heavy midlife crisis. 

Annie has actually showed some real growth lately, supporting Ben without making it about her and leaving behind her deeply inappropriate therapist. Plus I thought her asking really specific questions about where they would move in witness protection was funny, "American Samoa?" "All of the territories!"

The show has come close a few times to just flat out stating that Beth likes doing this but for some reason seems reluctant to take that leap. At the very least I wish they would allow her to get better at it--we're way past her still making these amateur mistakes. 

I also enjoyed that scene, and basically any time they were figuring out where they would move (Ruby googling if there were any black people in Wyoming lol). Dark comedy is one of those places where this show consistently shines, and I wish they would rely on that more. In general, I think if the show had a more heightened/absurdist tone, it would be easier to handwave some of the more egregious inconsistencies. The premise is objectively absurd, lean all the way into it!

• Love 11
6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

She hates her suburban life, thinks she's better than it, and sees this as a way for her to feel special, more alive. Its a very crime heavy midlife crisis.

Interestingly, I feel like they've done a bit of a reversal on this. She genuinely seemed to want to do the right thing for her family in this episode, but she tried to play Rio by giving him the old "I'm so sick of being a suburban mom" song and dance. For a time it was true, she was tired of being a housewife and got a thrill out of the crime stuff. Now that the shine has worn off, she's reevaluated and realized that she does care about her family and wants to be a good mom, and she's trying to figure out how to balance it all out. I think this is something that Rio figured out how to do for himself a while back, before he and Beth met, and that was part of why he related to her in S2--he recognized her struggle to figure out how to compartmentalize, to figure out how to separate the different parts of her life, to figure out what her "mask" was going to be, etc. In this episode, Rio and Beth just seemed... tired. They're each still playing their own game with each other because they feel like they have to, but the fire and excitement is gone.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

There are a million things about this show that could drive me up a wall, but I enjoy the cast so much that I am along for the ride.  Mae Whitman brings depth to characters that could easily be caricatures. Christina Hendricks is very strong in this role, and I flove Retta in everything she has done.  It is great to see her do both comedy and drama. I've liked Manny Montana for a long time. Reno Wilson is new to me; I have really enjoyed his performance and his interactions with Retta.  I fully buy them as a couple.  

So I see this as throw away, don't overthink it TV.  It's a Sunday night distraction to wind down the weekend. 

With that said, I do wonder if the organ donor couple is doing more of a long con by wanting to pay back the money for the car.  I am frustrated by the Stan storyline.  We are definitely seeing how their families are paying a high price for the women's choices.  And while I enjoy MM's performance and how he has tried to flesh out Rio, that story needs to go somewhere.  It has run the same cycle too many times now. 

I definitely agree that the cast is a big plus plus plus for the show.

I could get over my issues with the show if it just made sense. But it doesn't. I don't know why anything is happening other than to bank more episodes for Netflix.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

This Stan plot especially stands out. I normally love Stan and Ruby but this just seems so pointless. So now Ruby is keeping secrets from Stan, Stan is keeping secrets from Ruby, and they have no connection to what is supposedly the actual main story. At least we have finally left the hitman story behind, but I am sure we will replace it for forty more subplots that will all outlive their narrative purpose. 

The funny thing is that the Stan plot of guy who always wanted to be a cop and his fall from grace to where he is now based on the choices he and his wife had to make is a show I would totally watch. Especially with these two actors. But here it feels like more filler plot.

And speaking of filler, there were three musical montages. Reminds me of when I used to watch Sons of Anarchy and they would always use that as a way to pad an episode. But at least they are finally talking about making a deal. With what Beth has seen (and the fact that Rio shot Dean) there should be enough to put Rio in jail. But since this is TV, I bet next episode someone will be wearing a gigantic tape recorder strapped to their chest.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I forgot that I liked the go-between with the hitman, being all horrified by whatever they kept thinking he wanted from them. They're so used to really awful people, expecting and doing the worst, and here's a married guy, who just wants them to help his mother with her gardening. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

What was Beth thinking when she wrote those money-washing instructions for Dean? The least she could've done is written it with her other hand or typed it so they couldn't have traced it back to her so easily.

Worst hitman ever. First they couldn't get him to do the hit and then when he's finally about to do the job they want to call it off.

Why was Ruby measuring the appliances? If they go into witness protection they'll be put into a new house somewhere else and their current house will probably be left as it is. I'd guess the feds would sell the house and dispose of its contents. They can't risk letting the relocated family take things with them that can tie them to their old identities.

Looks like Stan's going to have to deal with his boss. With extreme prejudice.

So Beth told Rio the hitman was the fed. But Rio seems to have figured out that was a lie. What is she doing? Whatever, I wonder if the hitman is actually dead and if not, how much he might've told Rio about Beth.

• Love 3

I can't even keep track of who is blackmailing who or who is betraying who for whatever reason and frankly, I don't care. These "good girls" have racked up too much of a body count for me to find them rootable.

I did notice that Ben's voice is starting to change.

• Love 2

I’ve just returned to this show.  I’ve only seen a portion here since the early days. I’ve read up so I have a general idea of what has transpired though.  What happened to Mary Pat?

19 minutes ago, DanaMB said:

I was 15 min into last night’s ep before I realized it was a repeat. Lord. 

I’m really not paying attention this season...

Same exact thing happened to me! I kept thinking well I’m getting a slight deja vu here but then again there’s been so much recycling all along who knows? It got even weirder when I saw that I was watching the beginning of season 4 ep 1.

• Love 2

I have no idea what is going on anymore. 
Also, why would finding a woman’s purse in your husband’s trunk automatically mean he’s cheating? Why would a cheater have a woman’s purse in his trunk? Maybe as a gift but still it was too random for me. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7