Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E11: Colleen & Tony

I guess I'm a cynical ass, but Tony/Jeremy kinda got me in this episode.  Wasn't sure that Colleen was actually worthy of what he was aspiring to (moving aside his lying about being the bro white dude)...but he seemed like he was genuine in his feelings for her (whatever those can be for a phone relationship).

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, GaT said:

I can't decide how much of it was real. 

Neither can I.  I'll tell you one thing that was fake, though: this was not filmed in Baton Rouge, no matter what chyron they slapped on said.  Maybe Jeremy/Tony lived up here, but the houses they shot that were supposed to be in Baton Rouge were in Kenner, based on them crossing "Compromise Street" and driving past Best Chevrolet on Vets Blvd in Kenner.  They were out by the NOLA airport, not 70 miles northwest.  Baton Rouge could have its own STown podcast, but we're still far better than Kenner.

As for the episode, I kind of think that both parties colluded to get their story on Catfish so they'd get the free airfare.  But I'm not 100% on that notion because between the two of them, I didn't see enough neurons firing  to hatch such a plan.

Edited by Lizzing
  • Love 6

I think Jeremy/Tony was just attracted to white women and embarrased by that. The whole song-and-dance--that black women don't like sarcasm, golf, and science fiction--was smoke and mirrors. There are entire Meetups and Facebook groups devoted to black geekery and "blerdom". Two black women won Hugo Awards (for science fiction literature) last year. He just wasn't looking hard enough. Some black folks don't approve of interracial relationships. That's true. I just wish he said that rather than stereotype black women.

• Love 14

I'm going to have to work "resting dumbface" (from the recap) into casual conversation. Also, I totally called it that Nev's wilting smile (upon hearing that Colleen had lied to them about how long she'd known Tony) would make the recap. It's a sad trombone sound effect without the sound.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Momus said:

I think Jeremy/Tony was just attracted to white women and embarrased by that. The whole song-and-dance--that black women don't like sarcasm, golf, and science fiction--was smoke and mirrors. There are entire Meetups and Facebook groups devoted to black geekery and "blerdom". Two black women won Hugo Awards (for science fiction literature) last year. He just wasn't looking hard enough. Some black folks don't approve of interracial relationships. That's true. I just wish he said that rather than stereotype black women.

Yeah, I know plenty of blerds - probably more women than men. I have blerdish tendencies myself. I think he just likes white women and the blerd stuff (which wasn't even that deep -golf? Sarcasm? Come on) was an excuse. It's pretty insulting for him to assume that Black women don't or can't understand these not-very-complicated things, as his sister pointed out.

Colleen looked like Teen Mom's Amber (or at least the way I remember Amber looking; it's been a long time since I've seen that show). She really did come across as dull and dim.

• Love 8

I could tell Tony was black when they were talking to him on the phone.

There was so much lying, I'm skeptical that they will work out, but I really want them to.  They both seem nice. 

• Love 8

This is something I see done a lot. He said from his experience black women didn't like him because of how he talked, his interests, etc. So, it lead him to talk to women he thought were more excepting. He never said black women that would like what he likes doesnt exist. He just never met them. There's nothing bullshit about his statement. It's his experience.

I've has the experience of a lot of black women I was interested not being interested in me for my looks or the fact that I'm overweight, too nice, etc. I've met more white women that think in great as I am. It's not that black women I would be into wouldn't be interested in me all over. That's just my experience.

Him not trying harder to find said black woman is the hmmmm part. Especially if he's searching online. And if he is indeed into black women, he could be looking for women of all types that enjoys what he enjoys. It shouldn't be race related if he's just looking around. 

• Love 4

At least this one didn't have the creepy vibe that permeates a lot of the episodes. Colleen and Tony seemed genuinely to be interested in each other, but they're both so naive it's hard to imagine this relationship will stick. 

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, marny said:

Dear Show,

Please replace Nev with Meka.  Thanks.

Meka just needed a graphic that read facts everytime she said something.

• Love 6

I feel the meeting between Tony and Colleen may have been a setup they had talked about due to neither one of them being able to afford a plane ticket.  I hope I am wrong and they are on the up and up.  They didn't appear to be that interested in each other even after she agreed once again to marry him.  No kiss, just a hug?  Most couples who "think" they are in love, even if they have not met previously, will kiss when they do meet for the first time.  They did not kiss until later and I didn't see any real sparks between them at all.  

• Love 3

I thought they were cute together, and I was not a fan of Meka or her burst-to-judgement reactions (nor did Nev have to quickly blurt out how long they've known each other--she could have just been introduced as someone he's seeing without all those details broadcast.) It sounds like there may be more/other issues in the family.

• Love 4

Washington does not have that many area codes; 509 is most of the eastern part of the state, and Lakewood is in the west. She never once noticed that he had an area code not in the area in which he claimed to live, but in hers instead? Then again, she said she lived in a small town before moving to Spokane, lol. Okay, Spokane is the biggest city in the area thereabouts, but still. I lived in western Washington and often felt like it was the middle of nowhere.

I wish them well, but they both seem insecure, needy, and not totally honest, so I just don't see it working out...

• Love 2
10 hours ago, ForReal said:

I wish them well, but they both seem insecure, needy, and not totally honest, so I just don't see it working out...

I think it could work out, simply because they both seem really needy and insecure and probably think this is their only shot at love. I don't know if they will be happy together, but I do think they will stay together out of desperation, you know, the very thing that brought them together in the first place. lol

• Love 2
16 hours ago, ForReal said:

Washington does not have that many area codes; 509 is most of the eastern part of the state, and Lakewood is in the west. She never once noticed that he had an area code not in the area in which he claimed to live, but in hers instead?

That relationship only applies to landlines.

• Love 1

Was I the only one wondering what all those bumps under Jeremy's shirt were? Was bothering the hell out of me...lol. I first thought maybe he had lost a ton of weight and had loose skin? 

• Love 1

As a black woman who does not fit into the stereotypical box that Jeremy spoke about, this episode hit a little closer than most of the others.  It IS hard to find someone when you are attracted to someone of a different race and you almost have to convince them that you are worthy of being dated/that you have things in common.  People look at me like I've sprouted 45 heads when I say that I listen to country music.  Something as insignificant as the kind of music you like or the shows you watch automatically displaces you from your own race.  It's rough, especially growing up being the only person "like" you.   He felt more of a connection to the white guy on his profile than the black guy in the mirror.  I get it. 

That being said, this felt incredibly staged.  Something rubs me wrong about Colleen. 

• Love 7
On 5/11/2017 at 6:04 AM, Lizzing said:

Neither can I.  I'll tell you one thing that was fake, though: this was not filmed in Baton Rouge, no matter what chyron they slapped on said.  Maybe Jeremy/Tony lived up here, but the houses they shot that were supposed to be in Baton Rouge were in Kenner, based on them crossing "Compromise Street" and driving past Best Chevrolet on Vets Blvd in Kenner.  They were out by the NOLA airport, not 70 miles northwest.  Baton Rouge could have its own STown podcast, but we're still far better than Kenner.

As for the episode, I kind of think that both parties colluded to get their story on Catfish so they'd get the free airfare.  But I'm not 100% on that notion because between the two of them, I didn't see enough neurons firing  to hatch such a plan.

They did that with an episode in Iowa too.  Said they were in Des Moines but were actually 2 hours east in Council Bluffs, which is a big enough city to mentioned it OR they could have just said they were in Omaha, NE (which is a large city) which is essentially connected to Council Bluffs except for the river going between them.

On 5/11/2017 at 9:36 PM, ForReal said:

Washington does not have that many area codes; 509 is most of the eastern part of the state, and Lakewood is in the west. She never once noticed that he had an area code not in the area in which he claimed to live, but in hers instead? Then again, she said she lived in a small town before moving to Spokane, lol. Okay, Spokane is the biggest city in the area thereabouts, but still. I lived in western Washington and often felt like it was the middle of nowhere.

I thought them harping on the area code was weird.  Now days with cell phones you don't have to switch your number, not even if you switch phone carriers.   If I were to move out of state I probably wouldn't change my number so that it fit within that area code.  He did live in that area and did move back so them thinking that was a read flag was really weird to me.  That was the least of their issues. 

• Love 3

As far as I recall, he didn't live in the 509 area code. It's true with cell phones you don't have to switch your number if you move to a new area, but to get a number in an area code in the first place, you generally have to have a billing address in that area code. She lives in the 509 area code, but I don't recall them ever saying he did, so it's still strange to me how he got that number.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ForReal said:

It's true with cell phones you don't have to switch your number if you move to a new area, but to get a number in an area code in the first place, you generally have to have a billing address in that area code. She lives in the 509 area code, but I don't recall them ever saying he did, so it's still strange to me how he got that number.

Companies will sometimes give customers a neighboring area code in order to balance out usage, and when I got my current phone a few years ago, I was asked if I had a preference of local area codes, so the restriction isn't as tight as you suggest. They just want to avoid having lots of people clamoring for something trendy.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Companies will sometimes give customers a neighboring area code in order to balance out usage, and when I got my current phone a few years ago, I was asked if I had a preference of local area codes, so the restriction isn't as tight as you suggest. They just want to avoid having lots of people clamoring for something trendy.

Well, that kind of proves my point. There are five area codes in Western Washington and one in Eastern Washington. I would say that a Western Washington area code would be more trendy, yet he ended up with one from 509.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm watching this now. How old did tony end up being? Because she said tony said he was 27 when they first started talking...when she was 17. 

Ooooo never mind. It's only been 3 months so at worst she was 19. Much much better

Edited by Watermelon
  • Love 1
On 5/19/2017 at 3:16 PM, ForReal said:

As far as I recall, he didn't live in the 509 area code. It's true with cell phones you don't have to switch your number if you move to a new area, but to get a number in an area code in the first place, you generally have to have a billing address in that area code. She lives in the 509 area code, but I don't recall them ever saying he did, so it's still strange to me how he got that number.

But he still had lived in Washington for a short time - I can't remember if he said he had lived in that area or not, but he was definitely in the state so having a washington area code shouldn't be weird.  That's why he was looking for a girl there.  He had to move away and he was looking for a reason to move back. 

• Love 2

Yes, but he lived in Western Washington, and she lived in Eastern Washington. In the show, there was never any indication that he had lived over there. It's a less populated region, so it seems weird to me that he would have an area code from there. There are several in the area he lived in before he moved away, so it makes more sense that he would have one from there.

• Love 1