Type keyword(s) to search

Nate And Jeremiah By Design - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The show is limited to people living within an hour or so of where Nate and Jeremiah live so they have a fairly small pool of families to choose from. Granted, LA is a big place, but you're always going to get the same "types" because of that limitation.

I thought it was weird the way they sectioned out that basement, I would have gone for the first option when it stayed one big room. I also thought the bathroom was way too small for such a big upgrade to the master bedroom, especially considering how ginormous that walk-in closet (or 'dressing room') was. I think they could have figured out a way to fit a bathroom expansion into the budget - time was probably more the deciding factor than money. Hated the big daybed in the closet.

Bright side, it always amuses me to see Jeremiah tear up at the reveal. Never fails. I also enjoy N&J play-bickering like when they had to remove the temporary door.

• Love 5

I see no reason to play favorites.

Really thought homeowner George was hot, he looks like he could be out of Tyler Hoechlin (the Arrowverse’s Superman) family tree.

Given the time, the concealed problems and the need to do a lot in a compressed time with that much space, I thought they did a really good job with that space. The only way Laura could have gotten a island in the kitchen would have been to push the entire rear wall out further into back yard, which would have been impossible in that little time.

i wonder if the concealed missing joint bearing wood beams and rotten deck wood could have been an insurance claim against the previous sellers.Its hard to believe the pre-closing inspection didn’t find those problems.

Edited by theschnauzers
  • Love 4

Oh lord a child named Stark, I am assuming Game of Thrones fans, but an odd choice for a variety of reasons.

I still hate shiplap but I didn’t mind the overall look. 

They sold their house in March but didn’t find anything about buying a place in NY. I imagine they will have to downsize a great deal and not have a dedicated sit for pottery.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

I see no reason to play favorites.

Yeah I like both of them.  Today it was Nate who was being snarky to Jeremiah. I never get meanness out of either of them, though.  And both seem amused by the dynamic.

I did have a bit of a problem with the couple in this ep.  They presented them as cash strapped because she lost her job and then they found out there was another baby on the way. 

So I was expecting a lower budget but then they said it was about $125K.  I'm sorry.  People can spend their money any which way they choose but it was hard to sympathize with a couple whose parents could help contribute to the reno. 

It was also hard because the woman kept whining about not knowing what they would do if the baby came early. Well, clearly they're living somewhere now and making it work.  Adding another baby would make it tighter but it'd hardly be a disaster. I feel it's fair that one of their gifts was a child's craft project.

The final result was a bit too Joanna Gaines for me. 

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Irlandesa said:

It was also hard because the woman kept whining about not knowing what they would do if the baby came early. Well, clearly they're living somewhere now and making it work.  A

Not to mention she was barely showing even at the reveal if the baby came that early the state of the house would be the least of their concen.

• Love 7

Did the wife in this ep even look at the size of the kitchen (or the house overall)? Knocking down a wall or not, there was no room for a freaking island.

I would have been annoyed at spending $3K for shiplap walls that I'd later have to remove, but hopefully there's a lot more discussion with the homeowners about their wishes and taste than what we see.

Good riddance to the ugly living room drapes.

I got a kick out of all Jeremiah's jokes about wanting to be there to catch the baby.

They're really moving back to NY after spending all that time and money renovating their house? I understand feeling out of place geographically but it seems like a shame.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, 2727 said:

after spending all that time and money renovating their house? I understand feeling out of place geographically but it seems like a shame.

They sold it for more than three million than what they paid for it. Not bad for under three years and it was in good shape when they bought it most of what they did was cosmetic.

• Love 6

Its hard to believe the pre-closing inspection didn’t find those problems.

Not required in California! But you skip them at your own peril as this episode (and every single episode of Flip or Flop) proves. 

I thought that chair Jeremiah gave them was hideous. It looked like it was all cracked and wouldn't be comfortable sitting in. Looked horribly out of place with the decor, too.

I did have a bit of a problem with the couple in this ep.  They presented them as cash strapped because she lost her job and then they found out there was another baby on the way. 

So I was expecting a lower budget but then they said it was about $125K.

Yeah they weren't as much of a hard luck case as maybe the show wants them to be. (I also hate this modern trend of husbands saying "we're pregnant." Uh, no, unless you've got a baby in your uterus too, only one of you is pregnant. It's fine to say "we're having a baby" but not "we're pregnant." I get that it's all PC and sensitive and sharing the experience and blah blah blah  but no. It's not a real thing, so stop it.)

I know it's probably rude to speculate, but I want to say that Poppy looks like Jeremiah and Oskar looks like Nate.

• Love 15

Seemed like some HGTV-style shenanigans going on with their backstory. Still, the place is so much more functional—yes, they voted you off the island, lady.

Wonder where in the NY area they’ll end up—Westchester or Connecticut—even with their $$, getting tons of space in the city would be tough, pottery room not withstanding.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Wonder where in the NY area they’ll end up—Westchester or Connecticut—even with their $$, getting tons of space in the city would be tough, pottery room not withstanding.

By the way they were taking liking to easily walk out the door and get whatever they wanted it would appear that they mean the city.

In super competitive markets, like a lot of California, buyers will often forego inspections, and other conditions to make their offer more attractive.     Many homes also go for way above asking, and have bidding wars.     

The appraisal is always required, for the mortgage people, and for VA at least, a VA appraiser goes over everything with a fine toothed comb.   FHA appraisers are tough too, but doing the best job for the buyer.    A cash buyer doesn't have to have an appraisal, or any type of inspection, but can still have termite, or other inspections if they want them.   

An inspection is always up to the buyer, and getting the wrong inspector is useless.     I never use the inspector that is the realtor's favorite, unless I have other recommendations from friends.     The one I made the mistake of using a few houses ago was a fool, I knew more about construction than he did.    A great inspector can save you from making a huge mistake. 

I want to see what Nate and Jeremiah end up with in New York.     It will be interesting to see if they go for something in town, or out in the burbs.    I bet they'll go for something in the city, and an old brownstone, could work very nicely.      Some I've seen on house hunters have been very roomy, but need a lot of remodeling.   

$125k reno budget sounds like a lot of money for someone on a limited budget.    I hope they like the remodel, and enjoy the house now. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Yeah I like both of them.  Today it was Nate who was being snarky to Jeremiah. I never get meanness out of either of them, though.  And both seem amused by the dynamic.

So I was expecting a lower budget but then they said it was about $125K.  I'm sorry.  People can spend their money any which way they choose but it was hard to sympathize with a couple whose parents could help contribute to the reno. 

It was also hard because the woman kept whining about not knowing what they would do if the baby came early. Well, clearly they're living somewhere now and making it work.  Adding another baby would make it tighter but it'd hardly be a disaster. I feel it's fair that one of their gifts was a child's craft project.

Yeah, I don't think teasing your spouse implies you are judging other people behind their backs. 

I was surprised at their budget, too, after all the lost-job-new-baby buildup. And wasn't she like four months from her due date when they started? I don't know how long the average episode actually takes to get the work done. I was watching some episodes of Love It or List It (which I had never watched before and they had some budget shenanigans that annoyed me, too) after this and the one couple was about five weeks away from their baby's due date when they started. He came slightly early and the husband looked at the last new house option alone because she was still in the hospital. Somehow they figured it out.

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I thought that chair Jeremiah gave them was hideous. It looked like it was all cracked and wouldn't be comfortable sitting in. Looked horribly out of place with the decor, too.

Yeah they weren't as much of a hard luck case as maybe the show wants them to be. (I also hate this modern trend of husbands saying "we're pregnant." Uh, no, unless you've got a baby in your uterus too, only one of you is pregnant. It's fine to say "we're having a baby" but not "we're pregnant." I get that it's all PC and sensitive and sharing the experience and blah blah blah  but no. It's not a real thing, so stop it.)

I had the same thought about the chair. Do they always put something of their own in the house? They did it in the last episode, too, but I don't recall it coming up last season (never watched before that). I was like, "that's what you gave them? Why?" Poppy's little pot was cute, though.

If I was pregnant and my partner said "we're pregnant" I'd be saying "what's this we crap?"

I wonder what the new baby's name is. Lannister? Baratheon? (I don't watch GOT; those and Stark are all the family names I know.)

I thought they went a little overboard with the stone in the kitchen (I could have done without it on the stove hood) but overall it looked nice. Got tired of the island talk. I would kill for that kind of counter space in my kitchen and a place to actually sit to eat.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 4

The little jabs Nate and Jeremiah take at each other don't bother me at all. Couples often have a "bit", and that's theirs.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thank you to @CrazyInAlabama and @iMonrey for the info about inspections not being required in CA. I had no idea! CA has so many consumer protection laws, that really surprises me.

Count me in on being annoyed at the "We're pregnant" thing. Unless YOU are vomiting for three months, lugging around 30+ extra pounds, dealing with swollen ankles and a whole slew of other pregnancy-related issues, YOU ARE NOT PREGNANT. An empathetic and supportive partner? Yes. Hopefully. But pregnant you aren't.

I also didn't think the wife appeared to be 8-9 months pregnant at the end. Heck, if they hadn't said she was pregnant, I never would have known. Weird!

If they're fans of GoT, and have a girl, maybe they'll name her Daenerys. If they want to stick with character's last names, Tarly or Sparrow would work for a girl. Another boy? Lannister!

(I don't watch GoT, so if any of the names of characters I suggested are rotten people, I truly didn't know).

• Love 5

The kitchen table and dark chairs looked nice. I would have also been happy with a nice white Island, too. The living room was nice but it’s still small. The leather chair was a little too lived in for me. I guess it was a tax write off. LOL!!! The outdoor deck and slider doors looked great. I’m all about the outdoors.the bar are from the kitchen to the deck area was awesome. Overall, a great (pricey) renovation. BTW! I still can’t stand Jeremiah. Everything about him annoys me. That said, they can come by and decorate my house anytime. Will they come to the Philadelphia  area? 

1 hour ago, TwirlyGirly said:

I also didn't think the wife appeared to be 8-9 months pregnant at the end. Heck, if they hadn't said she was pregnant, I never would have known. Weird!

If they're fans of GoT, and have a girl, maybe they'll name her Daenerys. If they want to stick with character's last names, Tarly or Sparrow would work for a girl. Another boy? Lannister!

We had a neighbor when I was in high school who had a baby and I didn't know she was pregnant until the giant stork with "it's a girl" sign appeared in their yard one day.

I bet there are a lot of little Aryas running around out there by now. (Maybe that's what they'll go with for a girl; she's a Stark, right?)

1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

That said, they can come by and decorate my house anytime. Will they come to the Philadelphia  area? 

If they're moving to NYC they might. It's only a couple hours away (apparent drive-time for certain This Is Us characters notwithstanding).

9 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I thought they went a little overboard with the stone in the kitchen (I could have done without it on the stove hood) but overall it looked nice.

Ditto on the stone hood!  Especially in earthquake country, with sweet little rug rats crawling about.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I loved the chair - it had soul.  I probably shouldn't watch these shows because I don't care for rooms filled with new everything.  Give me the wabi-sabi.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, kirklandia said:

Ditto on the stone hood!  Especially in earthquake country, with sweet little rug rats crawling about.

I believe both the options that they looked at weren’t stone but quartz and another manufactured options which means they probably weren’t that thick. Not to mention if your kitchen hood fas off in an earthquake you have much bigger problems.

• LOL 2

I don't know exactly when expensive, showy vent hoods became a thing with designers, but I'm opposed. I prefer mine to be as inoffensive and small as possible. A downdraft type that rises when needed would be ideal.

I may be weird in that I find the smell of cooking to be homey and comforting. Grease can be dispersed in the air a bit, but that's a reason not to have open shelving, not an excuse for the overkill of a $5K+ vent hood. And how loud must those things be?

• Love 5
On 4/21/2019 at 9:13 AM, iMonrey said:

Me too.  When Nate snarked at Jeremiah about the homeowners selling it the next day in a yard sale, I just said "of course they will!"

Maybe he was just trying to get rid of things before they move.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, 2727 said:

I don't know exactly when expensive, showy vent hoods became a thing with designers, but I'm opposed. I prefer mine to be as inoffensive and small as possible. A downdraft type that rises when needed would be ideal.

My hood is just plain white. I was just happy to finally get one that matches the stove I bought when I moved in (the old one was a different color and looked, well, old). I was hoping to put a microwave above the stove so I didn't buy the hood at the same time (but then we determined the microwave wouldn't work in that space without removing the cabinets above it, and that would just be too much work). A couple years later my dad finally got it for me for Christmas. 

Then again, I don't have an expensive, showy kitchen, either.

• Love 3
On 4/21/2019 at 11:13 AM, iMonrey said:

Oskar looks like Nate.

I had that same thought. They have the same eyes. 

16 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Maybe he was just trying to get rid of things before they move.

That's kind of what I was thinking. They won't have that much space in NYC (or surrounding) so start paring down. 

Edited by joanne3482
  • Love 3
On 4/20/2019 at 2:14 PM, biakbiak said:

I vastly prefer Jeremiah to Nate. I find him much more genuine. His “mocking” Nate strikes me as just a dynamic in their relationship and good natured ribbing. Also, him being the one to suggest naming their son after Nate’s deceased partner and including his memory when raising their children indicates to me that he is a special person.

LOL I definitely prefer Nate but probably because I feel like I know him better, even though I don't at all.  I guess he's been around longer for me so he's more familiar is all.  They're both so good looking and I get their sarcasm and bickering.  Sometimes I feel it borders on being disrespectful professionally, and more so from Jeremiah.  I feel like they are pretty mainstream decorators and generally appeal to most people.  I do enjoy their show.  Poppy is so perfect for them!

• Love 1
On 4/21/2019 at 9:11 PM, biakbiak said:

I believe both the options that they looked at weren’t stone but quartz and another manufactured options which means they probably weren’t that thick. Not to mention if your kitchen hood fas off in an earthquake you have much bigger problems.

The slab they chose was actually porcelain and they said it was more durable, thinner and lighter.  It can apparently be installed over top of other countertops because of that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 4/21/2019 at 9:13 AM, iMonrey said:

Not required in California! But you skip them at your own peril as this episode (and every single episode of Flip or Flop) proves. 

I know it's probably rude to speculate, but I want to say that Poppy looks like Jeremiah and Oskar looks like Nate.

I totally agree with you that Poppy looks like Jeremiah and Oscar is definitely Nate and I am going to speculate they have the same surrogate......and I don't think it's rude to speculate. I've since been informed they don't have the same surrogate!  So much for that speculation lol.

Edited by endure
typo
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, endure said:

Nate and I am going to speculate they have the same surrogate......and I don't think it's ride to speculate.

They had different surrogates and talked about being close to both of them. They could have used the same egg donor. 

• Love 4

I loved what they did for the big family, "Modern Traditional", with the huge Sunday dinners.     There must have been 30 people at the dinner with Nate and Jeremiah.     I loved everything they did, and it's was incredible. 

The previous week with the master suite, "Luxury Retreat", and the couple that had been living there forever working on the house, and not getting much done was odd.     The couple certainly needed to clear out some stuff, and wonder if everything was put back in the house?    It didn't look like the amount of stuff after was the same as the amount they had before, even though it was better organized, and had somewhere for clothes, and accessories to be put away.     Their enthusiasm seemed forced at the reveal.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I loved what they did for the big family, "Modern Traditional", with the huge Sunday dinners.     There must have been 30 people at the dinner with Nate and Jeremiah.     I loved everything they did, and it's was incredible. 

The previous week with the master suite, "Luxury Retreat", and the couple that had been living there forever working on the house, and not getting much done was odd.     The couple certainly needed to clear out some stuff, and wonder if everything was put back in the house?    It didn't look like the amount of stuff after was the same as the amount they had before, even though it was better organized, and had somewhere for clothes, and accessories to be put away.     Their enthusiasm seemed forced at the reveal.   

I got a bit irritated with them continually saying that a small kitchen would be the end of a decades long tradition. I’m sure when his grandmother started the tradition, she didn’t have a big kitchen with a big island and the family made do all those years with the size they had. Maybe  the grandparents had moved to a larger house where they forgot about the old, modest days but it just seemed a bit much that just because the kitchen wasn’t a massive, open concept, a tradition was being threatened.

Edited by Lilacly
  • Love 9

I think the issue arose because the number of people in both families combined had grown and the grandparents had far fewer people to have for Sunday dinner. It’s clear to me they knew what they wanted but couldn’t figure out how the implement the changes they wanted. Ultimately, Nate and Jeremiah got the homeowners to sort out what they really wanted, I think the solution was excellent because the got rid of walls and got space incorporated that was being wasted. I love that house now with the simplified and coherent footprint.

• Love 4

I also don't know how people survived for so many decades with walls in their homes that prevented them from seeing the children.

Yeah. I can't decide if this whole "traditional Sunday dinner" thing is endearing or stupid. Every house has a limit to how many people can comfortably fit into it. It still looked really crowded even after they tore down all the walls. That's just a lot of people, period. They're going to be stepping over each other no matter how the space is configured. 

And the living room area had originally been a designated play area for their small boys. Now it looks like a showroom at a furniture store. "Oh, look, there's storage space in this enormous ottoman that also serves as a coffee table with ornate bric a brac sitting atop it." Sure. Like the kids are going to store their toys neatly in there.

I mean, I guess if these Sunday dinners are the family's main priority then they have successfully reconfigured the house for that purpose. It just seems odd their house is now designed for one specific thing. It's like they're living in an event venue.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

storage space in this enormous ottoman that also serves as a coffee table with ornate bric a brac sitting atop it.

I had the same thought.  If you have to move stuff every time you use it, it isn't going to happen.  Who decorates the top of an ottoman anyway?  It's for sitting or feet.

I really liked the episode and the couple and thought the project turned out well but it looked to me like there wasn't much room to walk between the chairs at the table and the bar stools at the counter.  That probably won't be a problem 6 days a week but, when there's a crowd there on Sundays, people will be bumping into each other every time someone pushes a chair back to stand up.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, mlp said:

I had the same thought.  If you have to move stuff every time you use it, it isn't going to happen.  Who decorates the top of an ottoman anyway?  It's for sitting or feet.

I really liked the episode and the couple and thought the project turned out well but it looked to me like there wasn't much room to walk between the chairs at the table and the bar stools at the counter.  That probably won't be a problem 6 days a week but, when there's a crowd there on Sundays, people will be bumping into each other every time someone pushes a chair back to stand up.

A lot of design shows have decorative stuff on top of ottomans and I don't understand it.  Even if you don't have kids, an upholstered ottoman is not a flat, stable surface, so piling it with trays and glassware and candles seems like asking for trouble.  Then, there's the fact that the ottoman is meant to provide seating and/or a place to put your feet up.  If you need a table, get a table.

• Love 11

The design was ok, but the WHITE ottoman?! With 2 boys, not to mention all of the other kids from the extended family. I didn't understand the constant harping about not being able to see the kids from the kitchen. They were 6 and 8, not 1 and 2!! Overall, it was a good episode, however it bugged me that no mentioned eating outdoors. They had a big beautiful backyard, why was that never brought up for dining al fresco? Nate and Jeremiah should  have installed those folding glass doors (like the ones in the hoarders bedroom episode). Not only would the family have a much better view of the backyard, but those 30+ people wouldn't still be all on top of each other. 

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 6

When they were doing the load in of the furniture the oven had red knobs but in the reveal they had switched them out for stainless steel which looked better because the red knobs really stood out.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, doodlebug said:

A lot of design shows have decorative stuff on top of ottomans and I don't understand it.  Even if you don't have kids, an upholstered ottoman is not a flat, stable surface, so piling it with trays and glassware and candles seems like asking for trouble.  Then, there's the fact that the ottoman is meant to provide seating and/or a place to put your feet up.  If you need a table, get a table.

I always assume those ottomans with stuff on top, are set up like that only for the photo shoot or teevee show reveal. Unless the place is inhabited only by a really persnickety and careful adult or two? No way the ottoman + decorative items is a daily thing. 

The ottoman/table struggle is real, lol. I like to relax on the sofa in my living room and put my feet up, so for years I've had a nice ottoman (doesn't have storage in it, and is covered in fabric vs leather) which I've never been tempted to use as a substitute table. See quoted reasons above. But I *would* like to have a coffee table, although so far not enough to cause me to get one and replace the ottoman. I just can't see trying to have both at the same time. Sigh.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

When they were doing the load in of the furniture the oven had red knobs but in the reveal they had switched them out for stainless steel which looked better because the red knobs really stood out.

I didn't know you could even get a Wolf range with black knobs. It tells you something though, that's a very, very high end range, why would you change out one of the signature things about it?

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, ninjakid said:

I didn't know you could even get a Wolf range with black knobs. It tells you something though, that's a very, very high end range, why would you change out one of the signature things about it?

Because TEEVEE! Design must be harmonious! 

If one enters the kitchen, and notices the RED knobs on the fancy shmancy range because they don't coordinate with the rest of the room, then Nate and Jeremiah have utterly failed as designers. 

Tsk tsk! Don't you know anything about "high design"*? <wink>

*Borrowing one of Christina's (of "Flip or Flop" fame) favorite phrases.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Tsk tsk! Don't you know anything about "high design"*? <wink>

*Borrowing one of Christina's (of "Flip or Flop" fame) favorite phrases.

I dunno about high design. But over the course of watching years' worth of design shows I have sometimes wondered, at the reveal, if the designer was high. 🤣

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, ninjakid said:

They have been available for a long time the three options are red, black and stainless. I thought it looked better just because the red really stood out it’s all I saw when they were loading in the furniture.

• Love 2

(I can't seem to make this extra space go away)

53 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

They have been available for a long time the three options are red, black and stainless. I thought it looked better just because the red really stood out it’s all I saw when they were loading in the furniture.

I agree that the stainless looked better in that space. And I say that as someone who ordered ours with the red knobs and loves them (though I have some red accents in my kitchen and "only" have the 42-inch range, not the 48-inch these guys got. drool.).

• Love 1

Yes I have noticed the trend as well and my sister has a big, oversized ottoman that serves as an ornamental table. It has a wooden tray on it and on the tray sits an enormous vase filled with decorative baubles. So it is neither fully functional as a table nor as an ottoman. It's purely a trendy decoration that takes up a lot of space. I don't get it!

Regardless, the living room area in that house did not look child-friendly. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, doodlebug said:

A lot of design shows have decorative stuff on top of ottomans and I don't understand it.

They can also miss me with artfully placed breakfast trays on the bed and large bowls of lemons on the kitchen counter.

This staged house is quite lived in! People make gallons of lemonade and drink it in bed!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, doodlebug said:

If you need a table, get a table.

My parents have a coffee table that has a glass top with a shallow, felt-lined drawer just under it, so you can fill it with small decorative things...and still use the table! Below that are two big drawers that you can pull from either side so you can store (or hide) lots of stuff. (I am not above putting my feet up on it, though.)

2 hours ago, 2727 said:

This staged house is quite lived in! People make gallons of lemonade and drink it in bed!

You mean you don't? (I don't buy lemons unless I have a specific need for them, and if I buy an extra lemon, it winds up a sad, wrinkled mess in the back of the drawer.)

• Love 2

I too only buy lemons when I have a specific purpose. I like lemons, but I forget to use them and then...yuck. But on the red knob on the range thing, I thought there was discussion at the store about replacing the red knobs with stainless. I would prefer red, I hate the stainless look.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

then...yuck. But on the red knob on the range thing, I thought there was discussion at the store about replacing the red knobs with stainless. I would prefer red, I hate the stainless look.

I don’t remember that but I thought it was strange that it was installed with the red but replaced by the time of the reveal.

• Love 2
On 4/29/2019 at 1:23 AM, juliet73 said:

The design was ok, but the WHITE ottoman?! With 2 boys, not to mention all of the other kids from the extended family. I didn't understand the constant harping about not being able to see the kids from the kitchen. They were 6 and 8, not 1 and 2!! Overall, it was a good episode, however it bugged me that no mentioned eating outdoors. They had a big beautiful backyard, why was that never brought up for dining al fresco? Nate and Jeremiah should  have installed those folding glass doors (like the ones in the hoarders bedroom episode). Not only would the family have a much better view of the backyard, but those 30+ people wouldn't still be all on top of each other. 

I totally agree with the obsession with watching children. But as for the doors maybe the homeowners were like me: bug haters. 

• Love 3

I enjoy this show but don't understand that if some of these clients are struggling with the budget, why don't Nate and Jeremiah shop at Lowe's or Home Depot or Home Goods? It kills me seeing what they spend on some of these items. I could redo my entire home for the price that they spend on one room. My husband and I have been doing renovations to the house for the past few years, and these are our go to stores. Their stuff is just as nice as some of that high end shee shee stuff they buy. I love a good bargain and am quite proud when I can get tile or bathroom hardware on sale. But that's just me. YMMV.

• Love 20