Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Pissters!

• Start Topic

Oh hey, Bayley's back! He still is taking Poussey's death pretty hard. I think that helps make him more sympathetic; it was clearly an accident, he still feels guilt because he killed her, and he's not excusing his actions like other people. It's going to affect him for the rest of his life and he may need to pay for what he did, but he's not a bad person. He even tried to turn himself in. I'm hoping that it leads to a conversation between Bayley and Taystee, because I think they can both understand each other and maybe Taystee can get past her anger so she's not just angry for a long time.

I don't really get why we needed a flashback of Caputo's girlfriend. It just wasted time for me. If anything, it also halted the episode. 

Donuts watching Pennsatucky masturbating may be the creepiest moment on the show by far. My god, how is Pennsatucky into him at all? I share Boo's utter disgust. Is it going to take him doing some worse than raping her to get it through her head that he's a bad guy? 

The moment where Suzanne blocks off the spot where Poussey was killed and Gloria bring them food with her, her ex, and Brooke are all around the candle was very touching.

This season has a lot of "funny" moments, like conversations where characters tell random stories, but unfortunately, there's a few less emotionally resonant scenes. There are still some, but I think, for me, the problem is how few there really are. 

Hearing the demands that were being read, I have a feeling there will be a death so the amnesty part of the demands will be void.

Damn, Caputo at the end realizing that their plan was off the rails because of Linda being in the prison? Well, that's what I assume the look was. 

• Love 9
(edited)

This episode was less disturbing than the previous one and I appreciate that. Loved the memorial that Suzanne created for Poussey. There's so much beauty and simplicity in the way she reacted... Because even the inmates (with exceptions, of course) have already forgotten that Poussey died there or don't really care. But Suzanne hasn't forgotten and she does care. And she won't let them forget again. 

If I'm not mistaken, Piscatella had a relationship with a male inmate when he was working in Max and he got fired or transferred, right? 

I can't hate Bayley, he feels too guilty for what he did. And it was clearly an accident. But he has to pay anyway. He might even feel a tad better if he does.

Edited by Helena Dax
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

The bitchy sorority sister fits Linda to a tee!

It was hilarious when she said "This reminds me of pledge week." That was one joke that got a laugh out of me through all the unpleasantness of the mistreatment of the guards.

• Love 7
On 6/9/2017 at 8:52 PM, Armchair Critic said:

The bitchy sorority sister fits Linda to a tee!

It is like beyond just bitchy sister though. She started off being the girl everyone was pissed off at for not being able to get beer. Then she left the drunk president girl in the snow to die, lied to and manipulated the cop so that she wouldn't get asked too many questions or bear any responsibility for the death. Then she seemed to use the fact that everyone was grieving to take over the sorority. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't running the prison before the riot is over.

• Love 11
On 10 juni 2017 at 6:50 AM, Blue Plastic said:

How handy that every time Donuts looked out from his hiding place in the ceiling, there was Pennsatucky for him to spy on.  Did not like that.

Agreed. I think it's creepy that they're turning this into some grey area relationship. He raped her! She might like him because she is used to be treated like crap by men but I really dislike this storyline.

• Love 15

So Linda's a sociopath. I mean it's one thing to leave the girl in the snow when she was clearly out of it, but the manipulation of the cop and the other sorority sisters...damn! She's a cold piece as my folks say. 

I don't think they specified the year but I was thinking Linda and I must be around the same age because my college years were late 90's/early 00's and those chunky blonde highlights in the flipped 'do looked very familiar <shudder>. Even then I thought the styles were stupid and ugly. Chokers, baby tees and bell bottoms y'all lol.

• Love 3

I don't understand the injury makeup they've done on Suzanne's girlfriend. I get that she's supposed to look really fucked up, but what they did to her eye doesn't even look physically possible. The swollen eye now sits an inch lower than the uninjured one. It just looks so fake and takes me out of the scenes she was in.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, April Bloodgate said:

I don't understand the injury makeup they've done on Suzanne's girlfriend. I get that she's supposed to look really fucked up, but what they did to her eye doesn't even look physically possible. The swollen eye now sits an inch lower than the uninjured one. It just looks so fake and takes me out of the scenes she was in.

Yeah and now she's septic, so I imagine she won't be around next season. Plus, bright red face? Injuries may start bright red but they quickly blacken or turn green or yellow. Her whole right face looked like a smashed tomato.

• Love 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, Negritude said:

So Linda's a sociopath. I mean it's one thing to leave the girl in the snow when she was clearly out of it, but the manipulation of the cop and the other sorority sisters...damn! She's a cold piece as my folks say. 

I don't think they specified the year but I was thinking Linda and I must be around the same age because my college years were late 90's/early 00's and those chunky blonde highlights in the flipped 'do looked very familiar <shudder>. Even then I thought the styles were stupid and ugly. Chokers, baby tees and bell bottoms y'all lol.

I didn't watch Friends but I remember my Mom trying to get me to get that haircut in the 90s--wasn't it because of Jennifer Anniston? 

The terrible wig made me laugh either way. 

I'm really enjoying the riot setup so far, and the way they're using it to set up lots of little pieces of sketch comedy, as well as new pairings. (Like Red and Blanca. Or if they've had a storyline together before, I've forgotten it.)

A lot of it is extremely dark, but I suppose it's realistic. Treat people like animals long enough and this is the result.

Like others I have no idea what story they're trying to tell with the rapist dude or why he's still around. Also, the cast is getting really, really bloated (numbers-wise). 

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 3
On 6/11/2017 at 9:36 PM, kieyra said:

I didn't watch Friends but I remember my Mom trying to get me to get that haircut in the 90s--wasn't it because of Jennifer Anniston? 

The terrible wig made me laugh either way. 

Did anyone catch the poster over the fireplace in the sorority house?  I'm pretty sure it was a replica of the one hanging in Monica and Rachel's apartment in "Friends"

• Love 1

I still find it deeply disturbing what they did to Humphrey - regardless of whether or not he deserves it, there's something terrifying about the idea of having had a stroke and then just being carted around like a ragdoll and positioned for a photo and then discarded somewhere in an empty hall. I can't help myself from projecting into that situation. Probably because the idea of having a stroke is just  so terrifying. If it's meant to be funny, it just . . . isn't.

I did get a kick out of Leanna and the other meth head (what the hell is her name?) ordering Domino's though.

• Love 3
On 6/11/2017 at 3:23 PM, April Bloodgate said:

It was so bad.  I couldn't look away from it, either.  The prison exec's wig was awful, too.  And she looked 40.  

On 6/13/2017 at 6:43 PM, lazylump said:

Did anyone catch the poster over the fireplace in the sorority house?  I'm pretty sure it was a replica of the one hanging in Monica and Rachel's apartment in "Friends"

Ha, you're right they did have one similar.  I noticed it was one of those ones with French words, that was supposed to make you seem sophisticated and worldly and artsy in the 90s.

11 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I still find it deeply disturbing what they did to Humphrey - regardless of whether or not he deserves it, there's something terrifying about the idea of having had a stroke and then just being carted around like a ragdoll and positioned for a photo and then discarded somewhere in an empty hall. I can't help myself from projecting into that situation. Probably because the idea of having a stroke is just  so terrifying. If it's meant to be funny, it just . . . isn't.

I did get a kick out of Leanna and the other meth head (what the hell is her name?) ordering Domino's though.

I know it's not supposed to be realistic but I kept wondering why the hell they didn't immediately demand Pizza Hut and KFC and all kinds of take-out.  They cooked the prison mush?  300 pizzas would've been my first demand.  And 100 cases of beer second.  

I'm enjoying the season so far, though.  It's had some great lines and I kinda missed the ladies.  And I'm all for a good flashback.  

I am confused as to what the show is intending. Are we supposed to be egging on the inmates and laughing/cheering on their humiliation of the guards? Or are we supposed to be seeing the dark cracks in the inmates?

(edited)

Not that this is a big deal but the Caputo GF flashbacks confused me in terms of fashion aesthetic--half of the clothes and hair were early '90s, and the other half late-'90s! Either way, I ended up kind of liking her. She just got so into jail life--like, "Eh, I'm here now; may as well enjoy it," as odd is that is.

I did! I didn't even realize that I did, then had to rewind--which sucks with Apple TV for some reason.

Edited by TattleTeeny
On 6/19/2017 at 1:32 AM, knaankos said:

I am confused as to what the show is intending. Are we supposed to be egging on the inmates and laughing/cheering on their humiliation of the guards? Or are we supposed to be seeing the dark cracks in the inmates?

Both?

Linda's sorority story did not surprise me at all. It totally fit with what we already know about her and just showed that she is totally willing to manipulate people to get what she wants. I can only imagine what the police told the dead girl's parents - "We found your daughter's frozen body squatting in the snow outside a fraternity house. We're pretty sure she was trying to pee, based on the fact that her underwear was around her ankles. You might want to leave that out of the obituary."

On 6/15/2017 at 11:27 AM, Thog said:

OMG, Linda is Red Heather.

I'd say she was Heather Duke, not Heather Chandler.

• Love 2
On 6/11/2017 at 6:23 PM, April Bloodgate said:

Plus she acts like she's in no pain at all. I dunno. That looks pretty painful to me. 

On 6/11/2017 at 6:23 PM, April Bloodgate said:

I don't remember what happened to her?!

4 hours ago, DrSparkles said:

I don't remember what happened to her?!

She and Suzanne were egged into a fistfight at the end of S4 (by the scummy guards) and Suzanne beat the shit out of her.

I've watched S5 twice now and I have to fast forward through every one of Maureen (Kukudio's) scenes because of the injury makeup. They went too far with it. She would be delirious with fever, I think, if not going into outright septic shock. 

9 hours ago, kieyra said:

She and Suzanne were egged into a fistfight at the end of S4 (by the scummy guards) and Suzanne beat the shit out of her.

I've watched S5 twice now and I have to fast forward through every one of Maureen (Kukudio's) scenes because of the injury makeup. They went too far with it. She would be delirious with fever, I think, if not going into outright septic shock. 

Ahhhhhhhhhh, right! TY!

On 6/10/2017 at 6:47 AM, Helena Dax said:

I can't hate Bayley, he feels too guilty for what he did. And it was clearly an accident. But he has to pay anyway. He might even feel a tad better if he does.

Especially when Suzanne is just as at fault for Poussey's death as Bayley.

On 6/16/2017 at 0:54 AM, Winston9-DT3 said:

I know it's not supposed to be realistic but I kept wondering why the hell they didn't immediately demand Pizza Hut and KFC and all kinds of take-out.  They cooked the prison mush?  300 pizzas would've been my first demand.  And 100 cases of beer second

Exactly.  its a bit amazing how dumb they are being with this riot.

Linda's flashback wig was hilariously ugly.  I do like that she's having to pretend to be an inmate.