Type keyword(s) to search

S24.E07: Week 7: A Night at the Movies

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, crossover said:

Are you just guessing or do you have data?  I'd always thought Laurie was so far ahead of everyone that they had to bring her back to the crowd a few times.

At the time they danced I thought they were close. I do follow Laurie on Social Media and She's far more popular than I presumed. You may be right. Here's a true story. My daughter went to our local HyVee (midwest grocery store) last night . She came back with the store magazine for this month and guess who is on the cover? Miss Laurie Hernandez lol

7 minutes ago, RedFiat said:

Oh please share.  

lol i doubt you care, and i'm not going to have a back and forth with you just because you're looking for an argument. 

Anyways, i don't think Normani is that secure in votes. Not all 5H fans are voting. Some only care about group projects or their fav member. 

I knew David was getting a lot of support, but I was amazed at how close in votes he was to Rashad. I see Rashad as the front runner with the viewers so if he can barely beat David, that means David isn't too far behind. He'll probably end up knocking out 1 of the top3 (probably one of the girls).

• Love 4

I think the manipulation award would go to their shenanigans during Bindi Irwin's season, whenever that was.

But Bindi could actually dance. I'm not overly concerned about producer manipulation as long as the celebrity can really dance. What gets me is when they can't and the judges prop them up anyway, like Bonner and David. That's the kind of manipulation I find so frustrating. David gets 8s for dancing worse than Nick who gets 7s. That's bullshit. 

I'm also a little tired of hearing about Simone's failure to "connect" with Sasha. This isn't The Bachelor. She supposed to dance, not jump in bed with him.

• Love 6

Right as suspected, nothing to see. 

12 minutes ago, realdancemom said:

I was excited for this season because of the women.  I knew they would be considered ringers but I didn't care.  If Normani is gone, then this season is a huge disappointment.  Normani and Nancy were my favorites.  Heather was my third favorite.  Now, all of them could be gone.

Yeah, don't sweat it, this chick is milking her '"strain"  and trolling for sympathy votes. 

• Love 1

Are you just guessing or do you have data?  I'd always thought Laurie was so far ahead of everyone that they had to bring her back to the crowd a few times.

Of course I don't have data.  I have gone back to put the word "seem" in there--it SEEMED like it was pretty close.  One word can make a big difference!  Maybe Laurie was way ahead, but as a viewer I thought they made it feel like James had a chance.

4 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I'm not overly concerned about producer manipulation as long as the celebrity can really dance. What gets me is when they can't and the judges prop them up anyway, like Bonner and David. That's the kind of

I think most viewers see manipulation period.  It doesn't matter if they THINK the celeb can dance or not.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, RedFiat said:

You wanna talk awkward?  Does anybody know anything about Simone or Normani other than what their pros tell us?  Geez these girls are as boring as paint drying.

Simone and Normani may be quiet, but they aren't awkward. They look comfortable in front of a camera, as does Rashad and even David. Nancy always looked uncomfortable, even when she was famous.

• Love 3
(edited)

YMMV but Simone is uber awkward and Val kept talking so I figured Norman didn't have a tongue.  Nancy is uncomfortable talking about herself, but that's endearing. Get her talking about her passion, like the eating disorders documentary about athletes  she is producing and you have a very accomplished articulate woman.  

Edited by RedFiat
27 minutes ago, Venee said:

I didn't watch Bindi's season, but I agree with the bolded 100%. I watch their dances from that season all the time!

I still watch Bindi, I used the FF on Meryl and Maks, mostly due to the faux romance, it made me a little sick. Plus she was  huge ringer, like Heather

• Love 4

I see loads of personality in Simone, although she's a lot like a giggly little school girl. Normani is the one who's a cipher to me. It's week seven and I still have zero sense of what she's like. She's just kind of there.  

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I see loads of personality in Simone, although she's a lot like a giggly little school girl. Normani is the one who's a cipher to me. It's week seven and I still have zero sense of what she's like. She's just kind of there.  

This!, shes just there. I wish Val wouldnt speak for her, he's apt to talk more than any other pro. But I just find her to be a good dancer with a blah personality

2nd time happening and the floor seems really dry for a rain delay 

It's been raining for four straight days here.  Not everything is a conspiracy. 

Normani is the one who's a cipher to me. It's week seven and I still have zero sense of what she's like. She's just kind of there.  

I blame this on Val. He always has to talk.  Normani seems perfectly nice when she's allowed to speak. 

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Fanny Mare said:

I still watch Bindi, I used the FF on Meryl and Maks, mostly due to the faux romance, it made me a little sick. Plus she was  huge ringer, like Heather

How was Meryl a ringer and Nancy wasn't?   I fell for the romance and only learned it was fake way after the fact. 

(edited)

Eh, we had a giggling school girl last season, and she bored me too.  Compared to Hinch, man it was painful. 

Edited by RedFiat
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, wings707 said:

How was Meryl a ringer and Nancy wasn't?   I fell for the romance and only learned it was fake way after the fact. 

They both were. Nancy has been out of it for some time though, ask Meryl to dance after a family and three children.

3 minutes ago, RedFiat said:

Eh, we had a giggling school girl last season, and she bored me too.  Compared to Hinch, man it was painful. 

Same here, I cant be sexy, giggle. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Fanny Mare said:

They both were. Nancy has been out of it for some time though, ask Meryl to dance after a family and three children.

Exactly a very very recent Olympic gold medalist vs an Olympic medalist from 23 years ago. Nancy is amazing. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, RedFiat said:

Exactly a very very recent Olympic gold medalist vs an Olympic medalist from 23 years ago. Nancy is amazing. 

Yes, Very very different 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, RedFiat said:

I thought James Hinchcliffe was boring. Different strokes for different folks.

• Love 6
Just now, boyznkatz said:

I thought James Hinchcliffe was boring. Different strokes for different folks.

Sure he was boring, that's why he did the commentary for Sports Illustrated each week and had his fellow competitors roaring with laughter, especially his impressions but yeah, friggin boring.    

Simone's personality doesn't bother me, I just think she's a vastly overrated dancer whose been getting overscored all season long IMO. I would not be upset if David bumped her out of the final.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, crossover said:

I remember CAI saying the vote on season 23 was the closest in DWTS history.

1 hour ago, Sstt said:

This was the first week she had a non happy package ,she didn't even complain she said she's 20 and had to suck it up because she wants to win. She traveled around the world and didn't complain. Nancy was whining in her last two packages (I believe that's what turned people off myself included but I still voted for her ).

2nd time happening and the floor seems really dry for a rain delay 

I believe they had just removed the tarp....it then took about another 10 minutes for the game to start.  Since they were playing the Phillies (my team), I knew about the delay.

• Love 1
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Emily-D said:

Simone's personality doesn't bother me, I just think she's a vastly overrated dancer whose been getting overscored all season long IMO. I would not be upset if David bumped her out of the final.

I'd be more inclined to think David could bump Rashad.  Only dance fans really love Rashad, but he is a free agent, he doesn't have an organization with a ginormous fanbase to back him like David does.  If he was still connected to a team like David is, being their promotions guy, then I wouldn't worry so much.  And wasn't that dance off close?  It should not have been. 

Edited by RedFiat
36 minutes ago, sparrowtime said:

I remember CAI saying the vote on season 23 was the closest in DWTS history.

They say this a lot don't they?  It seems like they said the same thing about Paige/Nyle season.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, crossover said:

They say this a lot don't they?  It seems like they said the same thing about Paige/Nyle season.

They also said it about Gilles/Shawn in Season 8.

30 minutes ago, RedFiat said:

I'd be more inclined to think David could bump Rashad. 

Agree.  I've been wondering who is Rashad's main fanbase?  I'm not surprised by Simone or David's.  I kind of figure who should be Normani's and Bonner's.  I'm just surprised they are so active.

I'd be surprised if tptb let David beat Rashad.  The danceoff votes were close and I don't know how much the point difference need to be to make up for the voting difference.  But I doubt if David will get anything above a 7 next week.  Kind of like they did Warren Sapp against Brooke.

• Love 1

If David is getting more votes than Rashad, then TPTB will let him in the finals. They won't piss off the people who are watching and voting. They want ratings. Besides, unless one of them is working for ESPN, it won't matter to them who makes the finals.

I don't think there is anyone left whom they have a personal interest in like that Ginger woman who basically got a pass to oust Wanya Morris.

Thanks for posting that Twitter pic from Wrigley, sinycalone. I didn't think about checking Twitter! I don't see anything wrong with Cubs management using their social media to drum up support for David since everyone else uses theirs to get people to vote. And, if someone sitting in Wrigley (like the opposing team!) doesn't like David, they can vote for someone else ... like BONNER! Maybe that's why Bonner is still there!

This: "I remember CAI saying the vote on season 23 was the closest in DWTS history." is the same as Chris Harrison saying this season of The Bachelor is The Most Dramatic EVER.

I like bull riding, I'm not a hillbilly, I'm not a red neck. And I'd never vote for Bonner. I am a Cubs fan, however!

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

. And, if someone sitting in Wrigley (like the opposing team!) doesn't like David, they can vote for someone else ... like BONNER! Maybe that's why Bonner is still there!

I highly doubt the Phillies care what the Cubs do during a rain delay.  Or maybe they do and that's why scored 10 runs against them yesterday ?.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Sstt said:

http://www.accesshollywood.com/videos/dwts-normani-kordei-discusses-perfect-score-treating-her-back-injury/

i don't think she's making it to the finals anymore .Her injury is apparently very serious and even val didn't know how serious it was until they had the MRI done .

I didn't see anywhere in here that she's not performing?  They probably talked about it in her rehearsal clip just in case TMZ or some other outlet got whims of the MRI.  It did happen on dwts's dime.  I forget who had to be sent to the hospital but the show made no mentions.  Someone else found out.  They spent the rest of the season on it.  Now they just report it first.  It's good for ratings.  But someone had stated that Nancy got hurt.  TPTB never mentioned it??

At least, I hope Normani's ok.  If not, she needs to withdraw.  She's too young.

Edited by crossover

I think Rashad is the overall casual viewers favourite similar to the someone like Bindi who also didn't come in with a huge fanbase. He's a great dancer, good looking, likeable, dedicated everything you want in a potential winner. He's a non dancer so no one can moan about him having dance experience and he has a veteran pro who has never won before. Believe me the vast majority of people who isn't part of a "fanbase" so to speak and is watching as a causal longtime dwts viewers will be voting for him. Plus I feel like he's gained a fanbase as he's been in the competition, week 4 was his major breakthrough week.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Emily-D said:

I think Rashad is the overall casual viewers favourite similar to the someone like Bindi who also didn't come in with a huge fanbase. He's a great dancer, good looking, likeable, dedicated everything you want in a potential winner. He's a non dancer so no one can moan about him having dance experience and he has a veteran pro who has never won before. Believe me the vast majority of people who isn't part of a "fanbase" so to speak and is watching as a causal longtime dwts viewers will be voting for him. Plus I feel like he's gained a fanbase as he's been in the competition, week 4 was his major breakthrough week.

Its about your ability to connect with the viewer. You won't win everyone over, but those you do, you will keep those voters! 

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

If David is getting more votes than Rashad, then TPTB will let him in the finals. They won't piss off the people who are watching and voting. They want ratings. Besides, unless one of them is working for ESPN, it won't matter to them who makes the finals.

David begins his new job with ESPN after the DWTS season ends. They spoke with him about it on Sunday Night Baseball a few weeks ago.

11 minutes ago, Emily-D said:

I think Rashad is the overall casual viewers favourite similar to the someone like Bindi who also didn't come in with a huge fanbase. 

Also like Gilles Marini, who most people hadn't heard of before he appeared on Season 8. I still believe the only reason he didn't win was because of Cheryl's lame freestyle.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Emily-D said:

I think Rashad is the overall casual viewers favourite similar to the someone like Bindi who also didn't come in with a huge fanbase.

Couldn't Australian fans vote during Bindi's season?

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

David begins his new job with ESPN after the DWTS season ends. They spoke with him about it on Sunday Night Baseball a few weeks ago.

Oh well that explains why they are pimping him to high heaven. Bye Rashad.

I'm not so sure David will be starting with ESPN after all.  ESPN just laid off a lot of their on-air staff...obviously cutting back quite a bit.  I'm not worried about David not working with ESPN -- he is in the front office of the Cubs now.

1 minute ago, sinycalone said:

I'm not so sure David will be starting with ESPN after all.  ESPN just laid off a lot of their on-air staff...obviously cutting back quite a bit.  I'm not worried about David not working with ESPN -- he is in the front office of the Cubs now.

Great point, I didn't even think about how all those layoffs might affect him. I know they cut back drastically on their baseball coverage.

(edited)
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'm also a little tired of hearing about Simone's failure to "connect" with Sasha. This isn't The Bachelor. She supposed to dance, not jump in bed with him.

I don't think connecting pelvically is the only kind of connection a dancer and their pro can have. I don't think most of the people talking about their lack of connection are expecting them to hop into bed together (especially given he's engaged to Emma.) But, I think most viewers like seeing pairings who do connect on some level and have some kind of chemistry together. I loved James and Sharna's partnership last season, not because I thought they were screwing or needed to, but because they did connect as friends and more importantly out on the dance floor. Simone's problem which she readily admitted last night is that she goes out there and basically performs on autopilot. You might as well have a robot out there. I don;t think Simone lacks personality. She's cute and giggly (maybe a tad too giggly) in the packages and sometimes in the interviews but when she's out on the dance floor, it's just not there IMO. That's a key difference between her and Normani. I'm sure Normani's perfectly nice (well probably) but her personality doesn't exactly set the world on fire in her packages, but she brings it where it counts - on the floor.

2 hours ago, wings707 said:

How was Meryl a ringer and Nancy wasn't?

Meryl was an ice dancer and Nancy an ice skater. There is a difference.

1 hour ago, crossover said:

I don't think they do. I, honestly, didn't even hear them say that about last season unless it was in an interview. The only time I remember them bringing up how close the voting was in Gilles and Shawn's finale and they specifically mentioned how close it was - something like less than a 1% difference (though I could be wrong about the number.) Usually what they say over and over is this is the greatest finals ever. That gets old.

My enjoyment of this season took a serious nosedive. I'm livid that Nancy is gone while Bonner and David are still there. I'm not going to be hypocritical and complain about it being unfair that this is a popularity contest. It's always been that way. It's half dance contest and half popular contest. There have been people with questionable talent who have made the finals - some I thought were ridiculous (like Noah) some I was fine with (like Alex.) But usually, the winner is a cross between the two. Sometimes the best dancer doesn't win, but I don't think anyone has ever won that just could not dance at all (not even Kelly during the first season.) So, while Bonner has lasted longer than he should no way do I see him winning the whole shebang. Even if he makes the finals, I think the judges would shut that shit down like they did with Bristol.

Edited by FilmTVGeek80
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, boyznkatz said:

Amber Riley and Osmond were pretty bad, although not Bristol Palin level.

I couldn't take to Zendaya, but that's because she adopted an attitude toward the end. She said DWTS wasn't fun in an interview, I was so happy she didnt win..;;)

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

Amber Riley and Osmond were pretty bad, although not Bristol Palin level.

I disagree. I definitely, definitely did not root for Amber (mostly because of Derek) but, while I didn't think she was the best, I thought she was a decent dancer. I rooted for Donny and Kym because I thought he was good (and I didn't care for Mya.)

Like others, I'm mystified how Bonner is still there. He's not a good dancer and he doesn't have the personality. I know he's got the sad backstory about the injury, but that certainly didn't save Chris Kattan. I know Sharna is popular but, yikes. I'm pissed she and James lost too, and if Bonner could dance, I may have thrown a few votes their way because of that, but since he can't, I definitely won't do that.

It probably doesn't help that the judges keep coddling Bonner with the scores and comments. I think he was close enough this week to Nancy to survive. If they had scored him accordingly, it's possible he wouldn't have been able to make up the difference. Maybe it's partially because of how mad I am about Nancy's elimination (which I was spoiled about) but I cringed watching his paso doble. Even dancers who suck can usually pull out a good paso doble (looking at you Cameron Mathison) but Bonner's was the stiffest, slowest one I've ever seen and there was so little dancing at all. At least everyone, except Mandy, gave him the appropriate score.

Now that I know how much experience Normani has, I'm kind of over her. It's not as bad as Paige since Paige had experience with ballroom, but it's still not great. Also, I'm just not interested in Val winning yet again, especially with his backtalk to Len.

So, I guess I'm all in for Rashad. I'm not over the moon about him but he seems nice enough, he's a good dancer, and it might be nice to see Emma pull off the win.

I'm iffy about Mandy Moore as a judge. She did have some constructive things to say to David and Simone, but some of her scores were wonky as hell. An eight to that mess Bonner danced to?!

The only thing I have to say about the dance-offs was it's scary how close Rashad and David's viewer scores were. I think Rashad was the only one who blew away his competition and yet he only won with little over half the viewer's votes. Look, David's personality is fun, but he does not need to be outlasting people who are waaaaaay better than he is.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

It probably doesn't help that the judges keep coddling Bonner with the scores and comments. I think he was close enough this week to Nancy to survive. If they had scored him accordingly, it's possible he wouldn't have been able to make up the difference. Maybe it's partially because of how mad I am about Nancy's elimination (which I was spoiled about) but I cringed watching his paso doble. Even dancers who suck can usually pull out a good paso doble (looking at you Cameron Mathison) but Bonner's was the stiffest, slowest one I've ever seen and there was so little dancing at all. At least everyone, except Mandy, gave him the appropriate score.

I thought he deserved all 6's personally. His dance looked nothing like a paso doble, and that whirling around thing he has going on is seriously annoying.  At least David and Nick attempted to do the dances they were assigned. I'm so pissed Bonner can just stand there and no one calls him out.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, PTVjones said:

Last week, Nancy danced to En Vogue's Free Your Mind, which has been done twice on the show. Famously with Maks and Mel B., and another with Kyle Massey and Lacey Schwimmer. 

So sorry I wasn't clear. I know many songs have been used more than once on the show. I meant, has any one pro danced to the same song twice - same pro, same song? Like Val dancing to "Perhaps" with Rumer and now Normani. 

3 hours ago, RedFiat said:

Surprisingly PBR fans are pretty rabid per 2012: 

PBR Fans are 12 percent more likely than all U.S adults to engage in online social networking and 40 percent more likely to do so on their smartphones.  55 percent of PBR Fans used Facebook and they are 50 percent more likely than all U.S. adults to have used Twitter.

Source: Nielsen http://dialog.scarborough.com/index.php/professional-bull-riders-pbr-gearing-up-for-built-ford-tough-world-finals-in-las-vegas/

It's not just social media, I have complained since day before day one that Nancy and Artem had very little exposure on TV shows like ET or Access Hollywood  until this week, or On The Red Carpet, the abc show that never ever interviewed them. There just was no buzz about the team whatsoever, like they were invisible. 

One thing I noticed was that early on, Nancy had several headlines on the People.com homepage - especially after Most Memorable Year. She talked about her miscarriages and other personal things too. I think she appeals to the People demographic more than ET or Access Hollywood. But, those People headlines stopped a few weeks ago, so that could have affected her trajectory. 

2 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

So true - this season has nothing on Bindi's. Cry "ringer" all you want, but at least Heather, Normani, Meryl, and Charlie were epic dancers who put out amazing routines. Bindi's were pedestrian at best and they scored her as though she danced like Nicole Scherzinger. THAT was the season Sharna was robbed - Nick was my pick all the way.

Nick was great and I loved his partnership with Sharna (and it looks like they're still good friends, which is adorable), but he choked near the end of his season - several dances had mistakes that were quite noticeable. I don't know what happened. I think it hurt his chances though. I also didn't like the baby/gender announcement with his wife, as it seemed quite manipulative (like Noah's now-defunct proposal during his season). 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Fanny Mare said:

I couldn't take to Zendaya, but that's because she adopted an attitude toward the end. She said DWTS wasn't fun in an interview, I was so happy she didnt win..;;)

Zendaya did not have an attitude.  She was a sweet, hard-working kid, who could really dance. 

She did not say DWTS was not fun.  She said she should have focused more on the fun of the experience.

She should have won.

• Love 8
(edited)

I figure the entire city of Chicago and every Cub fan on the planet is voting for David so there's that.  Ok by me as the ringers never get my vote.

I despised Nick on The Bachelor but he won me over a bit on DWTS.  Vanessa looked pissed when he was eliminated and now that he's off DWTS, I expect the breakup within two months.

How Bonner keeps going is a mystery for the ages.  He strikes me as very smarmy.

I'll miss Nancy.

Edited by limecoke
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

The only thing I have to say about the dance-offs was it's scary how close Rashad and David's viewer scores were. I think Rashad was the only one who blew away his competition and yet he only won with little over half the viewer's votes. Look, David's personality is fun, but he does not need to be outlasting people who are waaaaaay better than he is.

I just went back and watched the dance offs on my DVR. The slider was way over for Simone, David and Bonner before the couples even started dancing. 

• Love 1

That's why they have four or five couples left by "finals" now. There's going to be four in the last episode. That way they keep the viewers watching and then the judges can do their usual scoring shenanigans to make sure the "right" couple goes forward into the final three or two.

That's a key difference between her and Normani. I'm sure Normani's perfectly nice (well probably) but her personality doesn't exactly set the world on fire in her packages, but she brings it where it counts - on the floor.

That's very subjective. I don't get any more of a sense of Normani's personality on the dance floor than I do of Simone's. In fact I see more of Simone's personality in the dance because I see more of it in the roll-in package. Normani is unquestionably a good dancer; watching her and Val is pretty much like watching two pros. But I don't feel like I know anything about her. Nothing. 

• Love 1