Type keyword(s) to search

S24.E07: Week 7: A Night at the Movies

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Venee said:

Petty me would  like Bonner to win the whole thing, thus cementing the spirit of this show that I keep hearing about everytime I champion a preference for contestants who can dance. DWTS says vote for your favorite, and nothing would express that sentiment more than having someone who barely danced (if we can call it that) win the whole show. So go Bonner! 

I'll join Team Bonner for the Lulz. There's really no one left that I care that much about. The amount of heads exploding would be worth it. 

• Love 4

I agree about Mandy Moore (no, not that one)'s overall washed out look. Maybe because she was in Julianne's spot, the stylists felt the need to sabotage her? Meanwhile Carrie Ann continues to look sensational week after week. 

I think my favorite dance of Nancy's was her most memorable year dance...I thought her Enchanted dance showed too many nerves...she's been uneven and I just couldn't connect with her (and I was a fan of her skating back in the day) so I'm not surprised she got booted and I don't think it was a travesty. 

I don't know what happened to my brain, but when Nick/Peta and Bonner/Sharna were doing their dance-off, I was really watching and forgot to look at the sliding score! I'm not a fan of either guy but they really did peak at the right time. It was the best I've ever seen each (and Sharna should get a prize for not falling over when Bonner spun her). 

Dance of the night for me was Rashad and Emma...while Normani and Val were great I couldn't help but compare it to two superior ATs Val has done: one with Meryl and one with Zendaya. Choreography for this one was most similar to Zendaya's, but Zendaya had a smoother way of moving and was more in tune with Val. This seemed like a copy of that dance. 

Normani and Val danced to a Spanish version of "Perhaps"? The same song he got straight 10s for with Rumer? Has any celebrity ever danced to the same song twice? 

Just now, Callaphera said:

I'll join Team Bonner for the Lulz. There's really no one left that I care that much about. The amount of heads exploding would be worth it. 

Then it's on! Team "Woody" FTW!! Who else is with us!

In a perfect world Bonner would have left last week and Nick and David this week. With Heather and Nancy still there. What a shame. At least David has a fun personality and is somewhat entertaining with his dances. And he has a big sports fan base behind him. Nick was improving week to week and was giving it his all and trying. Nancy and Heather were both straight up robbed.

Bonner's looks and "showmance" are no doubt keeping him in it. Plus he is a good ol' country boy so the middle America voters eat that up too. I would not be surprised to see him and/or David in the top 3.

• Love 3

Greeeaaaaat job, Erin, at keeping up the appearance that this shit is not preordained with your pathetic deer-in-headlights "answer" to Emma's question. I want to fanwank that she asked because she knew it would totally throw Erin file-not-found Andrews so I can heart Emma some more.

Dewey Decimate, can you explain for those viewers who are unable to tolerate listening to Erin, what happened here?  It sounds like it may have been interesting, which given the law of averages is bound to happen at least once every two seasons.

17 minutes ago, Uke said:

Bindi was never critiqued, so yeah, she was producers' pick to "win" (or IMO, be awarded)

Well at least I enjoyed her, a ray of light. She was really dfifferernt, but she wasn't a dancer and she won, she was beautiful to watch...

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Venee said:

Then it's on! Team "Woody" FTW!! Who else is with us!

I Wood but I don't like his fans 

4 hours ago, Carousel said:

I am mad at Mandy Moore. She gave ridiculous scores.  She should stick to choreography.   

This show is a crock of crap. It's a dance show not a popularity contest.  No way Nancy should be cut while Bonner and David stay.  But that's what the judges want so that Rashad, Simone and Normani are in the final. 

At least that boob Nick is gone. 

Don't be so sure that it will be those three. The two white dudes left probably have more fans. Think of the votes they need and get 

(edited)
8 minutes ago, pennben said:

Is there anything that middle America doesn't get blamed for anymore?:) 

Well you tell me who is voting for Bonner? It's easier isn't to just look at Cowboy Woody  and vote? Who gives a shut how he dances.  I'm not a big football fan but I enjoy it more when I understand the rules. But that's just me. Here, the rules are alternate facts, they mean nothing. Might as well vote for the cute rhythmically challenged dead eyed cowboy. He's more like his voters.  

Edited by RedFiat
  • Love 2
(edited)

I was off-topic and veered things in a bad direction and then tried to delete my post above quickly (but dropped my tablet and hit a few buttons and then I couldn't fully delete). So, carry on all as if I said nothing. I apologize.

Edited by pennben
1 hour ago, RedFiat said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtEgIIh9cag&sns=em

By Far Best Dance of the Night 

I think it was her best dance this season. The only thing I would have changed wasn't her fault, and that was all the pantomime they had to put in there, before they could get to the dancing. Now I have to ask, Val and Normani got the 40, what about that performance wasn't on par with Nancy and Artems Performance? I liked both their dances tonight for the record. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Fanny Mare said:

Well at least I enjoyed her, a ray of light. She was really dfifferernt, but she wasn't a dancer and she won, she was beautiful to watch...

Dance performance is subjective

• Love 1
4 hours ago, RedFiat said:

Honestly the biggest improvement is .David - his jive was vast improvement over Disney week, and his Salsa showed some finesse he didn't have initially. 

Ahrighty then.  David FTW

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Morrigan said:

I wonder if Normani is hurting in the votecount and they want her a bit longer - or even to the finals?  Val had a terse message about not doing the tour because he needed to rethink his priorities or something like that.  Hmmm.

This is a thought.  The first thing I thought about was them giving it to Amber.  So I was wondering if she really was physically hurting? 

Edited by crossover
4 hours ago, Fanny Mare said:

Plus lots of people vote for the pro. I know I have favourites. Lots of reasons why couples win. It just feels blah this season. Manipulated.

I was thinking this is the least manipulated season so far.  TPTB probably preferred for Nancy to stay.  They just weren't invested because there are 2 other celebs who can dance.  Kinda like Heather.  They knew she didn't have the votes but they let the votes fall wherever.  I know Nancy had a lot of support on the boards.  But there were also a lot who felt she was inconsistent from week to week and during the performances as well. 

• Love 3

Sad about Nancy leaving but I did expect it. No problem with David beating her out, he's a throughly likeable good guy whose trying hard and putting in some half decent dances with the help of Lindsay. Bonner on the other hand doesn't deserve to be there and only is because of his southern country persona which rakes in votes from middle America conservative housewives. I said a few weeks ago that the days of 40+ women getting to the finals are long gone, they don't get the votes from the largely vast female audience who watch the show, and the producers would much rather see younger females with big online followings who attract lots of positive media attention and online clicks in the final such as Normani and Simone (who I think is a vastly overrated dancer) this season for example. Nancy placing the same as Marilu Henner last season tells its own story. It's Artem I feel sorry for though, the producers can use Nancy's abilities as an excuse to give him no hopers for the next five seasons before they eventually decide to toss him another bone or just dump him altogether. He'll never have a chance of winning until he gets given someone under the age of 30 with a proven fanbase that appeals to the demographic and will powevote, the sort of partner always reserved for the likes of Val, Derek or Mark. Anyway rant over, all my votes are going to Rashad now, the only way this season can really be salvaged is if he pulls out the win, and while I'm not one to vote for the pro I really would be delighted if Emma won. She like Artem has been treated like garbage by the show who have tossed her a bone this season (apparently Rashad was almost set to be Lindsay's partner before David signed on at the last minute). This may well be her best and only chance she'll get at bagging herself a mirrorball and I hope she does it. He's a good dancer and a very likeable guy.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, RedFiat said:

I love that Vote for Your Favourite is code for we know your favourite can't dance, but who cares we just want ratings from middle America., so screw anyone who just appreciates dance, this show isn't for you. 

Kinda harsh but true.  Didn't PBS use to have competitive ballroom series? 

SYTYCD doesn't get near the ratings of DWTS.  From week to week, there were at least a couple of routines where the participants were w/in their genre.  So there were great routines.  But the earlier seasons had better ratings.  I think it's because you could see the struggle when they were outside their specialty.  Now, they're so crossed trained/TPTB manipulate to make their choice look good.  The ratings just aren't there.

6 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

I don't watch any of those Bachelor/ette shows, but damn, Nick's fiancee just does not look interested at all. If that was my twu wuv out there cuttin' up the floor, you can bet I'd be grinning like an idiot and clapping like a seal.

During the show, she was known for her crying spells and general unhappiness. It could have been just the edit, and perhaps her rainbows and unicorns side was deliberately not shown, but it made for the longest season ever. 

(edited)
7 hours ago, Venee said:

I think it was her best dance this season. The only thing I would have changed wasn't her fault, and that was all the pantomime they had to put in there, before they could get to the dancing. Now I have to ask, Val and Normani got the 40, what about that performance wasn't on par with Nancy and Artems Performance? I liked both their dances tonight for the record. 

I disagree about Pantomine, Nancy was dancing from the get go with three other dancers. If you're talking about dancing in hold Nancy is the only one to do more than 2 passes of gold standard variations than anyone this season. I especially loved her progressive link section.  Since this show is about production routines, there is no such thing as just Argentine Tango and yet that stupid lip syncing to a Rumba in Spanish is supposed to make me think this is supposed to be Argentine Tango.  Sorry but it did little for me except accentuate the fact that Normanis legs are not razor sharpe staccato when doing engauchos so it wasn't as precise as I like to see.  Val stayed away from the difficult slow to exciting  explosive movement that makes it Argentine Tango and went for a mood piece that left me cold 

Edited by RedFiat
  • Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, crossover said:

I was thinking this is the least manipulated season so far.  TPTB probably preferred for Nancy to stay.  They just weren't invested because there are 2 other celebs who can dance.  Kinda like Heather.  They knew she didn't have the votes but they let the votes fall wherever.  I know Nancy had a lot of support on the boards.  But there were also a lot who felt she was inconsistent from week to week and during the performances as well. 

Except Nancy was denied one 10 all season when her technique is the closest to ballroom and Latin standard of all the competitors. How is that preferring her to stay when she is penalized for doing proper ballroom and Latin?. What this tells me is the show pretends to make this a competition about ballroom and Latin but when it's too difficult to do they make it about popularity and Nancy goes home because growing a fan base because you dance ballroom and Latin well isn't the agenda. The agenda is getting the millennials to buy into this show when they haven't bothered and continue to prefer the Voice regardless of all the machinations. Nancy was the sacrificial lamb of everything people enjoyed about this show. By getting her to re invent iconic dances they decided that she wasn't worthy of providing any memorable dances of her own. They want to erase any memory of Nancy even being on the show because she danced so much better than the people they are protecting.  The judges only gave her nitpicking remarks of what to work on nothing glowing like they gave Heather before she went packing 

Edited by RedFiat
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Fanny Mare said:

Ray of Light?  She was an obnoxious little troll and I hated having to see her in the audience last night.  Her "win" was a joke!

• Love 3

I thought Bindi was okay, her partnership with Derek worked, she was more consistent than IMO better dancers who were yo-yoing all season for various reasons (Nick, Tamar Alexa). But boy, the comments she got were cringeworthy. Angel sent from heaven, ray of light, we are not worthy of your sunshiney sunshine, grace us and bless us saint Bindi...blah, blah, blah. They've pimped and manipulated in various directions and for various contestants throughout the years, but the sheer treacle they produced in season 21 in regards to her has never been topped IMO. It was insane. Also, she seems nice enough, but that Sea World connection is one endless side-eye from me. You can't style yourself an animal rights activist and then shill for that company.

• Love 11
9 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

The gnashing of teeth regarding Bonner is kind of funny. But then again, I couldn't figure out what was so overwhelmingly special about James last season so what do I know.

Nyle won the whole thing and was a personality gaping black hole who actively thought he was too good for the show in his pre-dance packages. Alek Skarlatos (who is probably Bonner's closest comp in terms of having a personality that doesn't really jump of the screen made the finale with a pretty unknown Lindsay at that point), Noah Galloway and Antonio Brown had distasteful personalities and each recently made a finale. People enjoy watching Sharna and him together, people who rooted like crazy for Ty Murray back in the day are probably voting again in somewhat higher numbers...and he's the seasons designated "I overcame a life threatening injury/accident" which is worth a entire season long bump in votes. Before week one, I had no doubt (unless he was in Master P territory) that he was at least making the Top 5 if not the finale....

The difference between some of the stars you mentioned, and Bonner is that they actually had some good dances. Bonner is a bad dancer AND has no personality.  Even Noah Galloway who relied heavily on his back story I can still remember enjoying a couple of his dances. But at this point I'm use to people like Bonner making it further while better dancers go home. Its been happening for years on this show, and every year at this point there's always someone people start getting pissed. Fwiw I never once voted for someone for their personality.

• Love 2

I'm disappointed Nancy left. I really don't know who is voting for Bonner. I find his dancing bad and his personality very dull. Also his dance tonight had barely any content. I think more of the judges should have pointed that out. It seemed they took the movie theme as an excuse to do a skit rather than a dance. I also thought Nick did better in the Rumba dance-off than Bonner. I am pretty sure Bonner had a visible flub when spinning Sharna around which was not commented on at all. It looked like he was about to fall over spinning her.

This season is becoming disappointing with the loss of Heather and now Nancy. I hope Normani, Simone and Rashad are the final 3. They definitely deserve to be. Bonner will probably be out next at least.

I think I may have liked Simone's dance the best tonight. I thought she did a great Charleston and embodied the silent film era well. Normani's dance also stood out, and I thought was great. Nancy did a great job again as usual. Finally I really loved Rashad's dance too. It was great seeing him be so in character. I thought Nick did one of his better dances tonight. It's too bad he didn't do as well as he hoped though. He seemed disappointed. I appreciate that Nick seemed to try each week (I didn't think he and Peta phoned in the content, even if he wasn't the best at the dance style) and Nick also seemed to want to do well. Sorry but Bonner to me is barely trying. I feel like perhaps the judges are being nicer to him because of his neck injury and limitations? I guess he was the lowest score getter last night, but he still doesn't seem to get harsh critiques. I actually enjoyed David's salsa as well, although I would have been happier to see David go home and Nancy stay.

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, crossover said:

Kinda harsh but true.  Didn't PBS use to have competitive ballroom series

SYTYCD doesn't get near the ratings of DWTS.  From week to week, there were at least a couple of routines where the participants were w/in their genre.  So there were great routines.  But the earlier seasons had better ratings.  I think it's because you could see the struggle when they were outside their specialty.  Now, they're so crossed trained/TPTB manipulate to make their choice look good.  The ratings just aren't there.

YES! and I loved it. It's where I first saw Tony Dovoloni! (still crush on him! I wish he'd come back)

Edited by Venee
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, GracieK said:

I don't understand who is voting for Bonner!!  How does Nancy get eliminated before Bonner and David?  I'm so confused. 

Why is anyone surprised? The audience loves hillbillies and dislikes non-bubbly women, no matter how well they dance.  

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Morrigan said:

I think Bonner's percentage of the vote proves the power of a showmance (and the power of being "cute") especially with robovoters who probably played a big role during the danceoff.

I think they have manipulated the results/scores/etc since Season 1 but they've gotten ridiculously clever with it. When they got Apolo Ohno kicked out of All Stars to engineer a Melissa Rycroft win I realized they were simply brilliant and could get any result they wanted - no matter what.

I wonder if Normani is hurting in the votecount and they want her a bit longer - or even to the finals?  Val had a terse message about not doing the tour because he needed to rethink his priorities or something like that.  Hmmm.

Anyway, stay home Maks (and Peta with the knee brace.)  It's time to play up Sasha/Emma's wedding. And to watch them finagle the final they've already decided on. Somehow I'm doubting it's Rashad/Simone/Normani but by dance talent it should be - and he would likely win, based on how viewers tend to vote (imo). But if the producers want something else, they'll get it.

My hunch is totally unscientific, but I don't think she's hurting at all. That week they made it appear as though she was in the bottom, did Tom ever say that? Didn't he do the "one of these couples is in trouble lead in? I think she has enough fandom and casual voters who vote for "the performance" to hold her there until the finals. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, tessaforever said:

Normani and Val danced to a Spanish version of "Perhaps"? The same song he got straight 10s for with Rumer? Has any celebrity ever danced to the same song twice? 

Last week, Nancy danced to En Vogue's Free Your Mind, which has been done twice on the show. Famously with Maks and Mel B., and another with Kyle Massey and Lacey Schwimmer. 

(edited)
11 minutes ago, Venee said:

My hunch is totally unscientific, but I don't think she's hurting at all. That week they made it appear as though she was in the bottom, did Tom ever say that? Didn't he do the "one of these couples is in trouble lead in? I think she has enough fandom and casual voters who vote for "the performance" to hold her there until the finals. 

I agree. I doubt Normani is hurting for votes. Most of the time, immunity is given to the person who goes on to win the show. It is TPTB's way of pimping their desired winner. It has nothing to do with saving a good dancer with no fanbase. If that was the case, they would have given it to Heather last week or Nancy this week.

Edited by boyznkatz

I think people are overthinking the manipulations this season. I felt like Heather received pretty good spots each week and received good scores, but the producers weren't able to keep her around. The person I felt the show was giving the worst scores and slots in the show was Nick but he actually managed to stay longer than I would have predicted. I agree some of the scoring has been inconsistent this season but I feel like it always is. Nancy has been underscored some, but weak dancers like Bonner and David have been overscored most of the season.

It's somewhat interesting to read these comments because a few weeks ago everyone was proclaiming Simone the chosen one, but because Normani has emerged as a better dancer now she is being called the ordained winner from the producers. I feel like this season has actually been more unpredictable than recent ones. If this was a predictable season I don't think Heather and Nancy would have already been eliminated. I can make a guess on the final 3 to be Normani, Simone and Rashad but I would not be surprised if David kicked one of those 3 out. Heck Bonner has gone way further than I would have predicted and offers nothing I find appealing. I don't feel that any one contestant of the top tier has been receiving massively higher scores than they deserve. The most overscored contestants this season I think have been Bonner and David. Nancy and Nick were both underscored this season. I think part of those two being underscored is their placement in the show though. The ones who go early generally receive lower scores for starting off the show. I will agree that Nick received the worst treatment this season of anyone. I don't think he ever performed in the second half of the show (aside from a team dance or the dance-off). I thought he was the first to go twice, and probably generally went in the first 30 minutes of the broadcast. I know Nick was not among the best dancers, but I still felt he was given the shaft all season. However, I think a lot of those placements probably relate to how popular the show thinks Nick is, or even could be based off how many votes he had been receiving all season. I do doubt the show will go out of their way to keep giving a less popular contestant good performing slots near the end of the show. They put what they consider more popular contestants near the end to keep viewers watching the whole show. It is annoying when the same person constantly closes the show, but I understand why they do it.

Anyway I am glad Normani and Simone are still on the show. I think they are very good and I enjoy watching them. I also enjoy Rashad. Those are my pick for the final 3. I am really sad Nancy is gone but it was not totally unexpected. I just can't believe Bonner is still there.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, doLLish said:

The extreme dislike for Normani has truly become quite amusing. I don't get it at all. She did an amazing AT tonight and I'm glad she got immunity. She deserved it.

The Bonner thing has gotten out of control. He did two mediocre to terrible dances and was praised for each. Sharna used to be my favorite pro but she has annoyed me so badly this season with her "choreography" for Bonner. He doesn't dance! A lunge here, a two step there, throw in some acting, the end. It's infuriating to watch and they never get called out on it. Peta would never. Nick wasn't the greatest dancer but PETA made him actually dance week after week.

Rashad continues to get overscored but he's a nice guy so whatever.

Oh and Mandy Moore was a terrible guest judge. Her scores were a mess.

I don't get the dislike for Normani or Simone either. They were both awesome. No one came close to them yesterday except Rashad, who was a little overscored, but he is still good. Nancy was good as well, but all the extra dancers left my head spinning. I thought the scores were fair and Normani totally deserved the highest score.

As for Bonner, TPTB is going to promote any chump Sharna dances with until she wins the mirror ball. It's not going to happen though. If she couldn't even get to the finals with the biggest male ringer of all time (Charlie) or support from Steelers Nation (Antonio Brown), I don't think she is as popular as TPTB think she is.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Linderhill said:

I  wonder if Maks will finally go away now that Peta has been eliminated.  

I doubt it. Val's still in.

I was hoping that Nancy would stay (gave her all of my votes last week) but I had a feeling that she would be eliminated.

I'm rooting for Rashad and Emma now. I truly hope that he improves on his posture and footwork.

I do agree that David is getting by due to Chicago and his personality.

I also think that Bonner is getting by due to SHARNA, and the fact that some of her fans are still upset over James losing to Laurie. So now they're back with a  vengeance.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, McManda said:

I'm not mad at Mandy Moore as a judge. She was surprisingly helpful and well-spoken. I certainly enjoyed her more as a judge than a show choreographer.

I thought her comments were great but thought her scores were a little strange a few times there. Still, the way she talked to Simone and David in particular stood out as actual useful advise that both of them can take back to their rehearsals and use.

11 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

The ticker was far over for Bonner before the dance even started. I voted for Nick throughout the dance at warp speed and it never moved an inch.

Nick was hosed. Bonner basically knocked Sharna out of that spin. Did they all miss that moment? At least Bruno knows what's up.

That was brutal. Who likes Bonner that much? His dancing was awful and then the judges go on to say that both showed amazing growth in those rumbas. Say what? Nick, I thought, had a very good rumba for him. It wasn't amazing, but for a guy who has been an okay dancer, he really did step up there and hold his own. I can't believe the ticker and the judges' decision there. What was everyone watching?

11 hours ago, sab85 said:

First thing, Lindsay killed that choreography. They got the one theme that really didn't mesh with the dance and yet she managed to make it look sci-fi yet still salsa. 

I agree. Salsa and Sci-Fi aren't really mixable things yet I do think she came up with a routine that blended them and did the best job it could do of hiding David's weaknesses and highlighting his strengths. Lindsay is, for me, one of the best choreographers on the show. It's just a shame she's got a partner who is more personality than talent this year.

As for Nancy going, I was worried last week and sad that I was right. Between her dance last week, the package and the fact that she didn't get a points boost from the Team Girls dance, I was really worried about her. She is a great dancer and really had some of the most interesting routines of the season. It's a huge shame to see her go, especially considering who still remains. I get that this is just a popularity contest, but it really does bug to see two great dancers go home two weeks in a row and see mediocre dancers coast on fanbases.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, LizDC said:

Mandy Moore for the 4th judge's chair!  Or get rid of it altogether.  There's no need for Julianne there.  

Where is Julianne, anyway?  She wasn't here last week, either.

There has always been a crap shoot aspect to this show in the beginning that I have come to expect.  I was hoping Nick and Nancy would survive ahead of the 2 worst (David and Bonner).  Since they didn't, onward to root for Rashad and Normani.    Gymnast fatigue prevents me from rooting for Simone.  

• Love 6

I.can't.even.  < sigh >  How did we lose Nancy Kerrigan and keep Bonner and David?  I can at least understand David somewhat - he seems like a real nice guy, and he's fun.  But Bonner?  He's as bad a dancer as David and completely lacks his charisma and charm.  Grrrrrr!!

Aside from the results, I quite enjoyed last night's show.  I thought the opening number was well done, and I thought everyone did a great job of interpreting the theme of the movies.  And I really liked how they handled the opening packages for the most part.  They were clearly having a lot of fun with the night.  :)  The dancing itself was not quite as successful.

Bonner and Sharna - this was a fun idea but Bonner did not dance it well.  I thought Bonner got lost in the choreography, and he didn't seem to do a lot of dancing - mostly a lot of walking around.

Nancy and Artem - this was gorgeous.  I wasn't crazy about that song as a tango, but the dance was terrific.  I liked the choreography, I thought Artem gave her a lot of content, and I thought she danced it very well.  I was kind of annoyed she didn't get at least one 10.  That was just lovely, and I am just so irritated that she's gone while Bonner is still around.  We had really been hoping for an all-girl finale with Nancy, Normani and Simone.

Simone and Sasha - her Charleston was *way* better than Bonner's.  Way better.  I think this dance really suited her.  It was fun and quirky and entertaining.  Really enjoyed it.  I was glad to hear Mandy mention to her about connecting with Sasha.  She needed to be told that.

Nick and Peta - this wasn't the greatest dance he's ever done, but I thought he did a nice job with it.  He's definitely a better dancer than either Bonner or David, and he seems like a nice guy.  I may benefit from never having watched The Bachelor, so I don't really know anything about him and can just go by what I see on this show.  I would have liked to see him have another week.

Rashad and Emma - this was really terrific.  I loved the story, and Rashad really sold the part.  Those eyes were crazy!!  < lol >  Again, he's not the best dancer, and I honestly think he's kind of plateaued, but I still enjoy watching him, and he's definitely the best male dancer left.  Great job!

David and Lindsey - This was the least successful interpretation of the genre for me.  But it worked.  David gave it his all, but it wasn't very good.  But I still do like him, and he and Lindsey seem to have a great partnership.

Normani and Val - I thought this dance was breathtaking.  I loved the choreography, and I loved the dancing.  This was the dance of the night for me.  I'm glad she got the immunity and so got a little bit of a rest anyway. 

Dance-offs:

Nancy and Simone - I thought Nancy did a much better job than Simone. Maybe because I thought hers was more classically a cha cha.  For a lot of the time I didn't know what Simone and Sasha were doing - didn't feel at all cha-cha-y to me.  I couldn't believe all the judges picked Simone.  I guess I should have realized then that Nancy was leaving, and they didn't want to "waste" the points.

Rashad and David - this wasn't even a contest.  Rashad all the way.

Bonner and Nick - I could not believe that most of the judges picked Bonner over Nick.  Ugh.  But again, they clearly didn't want to waste the points on a guy going home.  But at least Bruno was nice enough to give him the nod with one vote for him.  Too bad they couldn't have given Nancy the same courtesy. 

Oh well.  For the second week in a row, the results have just been whacked.  If Bonner and David don't go home as the next two . . . . 

• Love 5

this is my first season watching dwts, and if bonner manages to outlast any of the top 3 (Normani/Simone/Rashad) it'll be my last. 

• Love 3
(edited)

One reason Bonner is still in is because the judges have been over scoring him to a ridiculous degree and I don't know why!  I get the feeling Sharna actually hopes they get voted off ......

Edited by Packerbrewerbadger
  • Love 3

Speaking as someone who loved the Sharna/James partnership last year:  no way will I vote for Bonner as some of kind belated reward for Sharna.  Bonner (whether because of injuries or just inability to learn) has not danced well at all.

• Love 12

Anyway I am glad Normani and Simone are still on the show. I think they are very good and I enjoy watching them. I also enjoy Rashad. Those are my pick for the final 3. I am really sad Nancy is gone but it was not totally unexpected. I just can't believe Bonner is still there.

Same here. I really like those 3 a lot. If they were the final 3, I'd be happy with any one of them winning.

I liked Nancy a lot and thought she danced well pretty much every week, so I was disappointed to see her go last night, especially since Bonner is still in it. That just makes no sense to me.

• Love 7

This season I feel I have been real harsh on the contestants and the pros, but after last night I feel justified in my dislike for this season.

Nancy or Nick  should not have gone before David and Bonner.  I am so disappointed.  I like Dave's personality but he can't dance and Bonner, well there is not enough words to express how I feel about his lack of personality and lack of dancing.  

Rashard is the one I am hoping wins.  I like watching  someone with no dance experience.  I like to see the transition, the work they put into it and see them evolve to a good dancer.  He has a great personality, takes criticism well and puts the work into the dance.

Normani is good but I expect her to be good - she has dance experience, may not be ballroom but it is still experience.

Simone I am sorry but she is a great gymnast but not a great dancer.  There is no emotion and I feel nothing.

I might be out until the finals.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, crossover said:

I was thinking this is the least manipulated season so far.  

I would agree with this if not for Normani. I think this season has been very manipulated for her. Or rather, for Val. And I'm not sure why since he's not going on the tour and he just won last season.

According to one of his millions of interviews about himself this season, Maks was originally supposed to have "a different partner" but couldn't spend a few weeks traveling due to the baby. Ultimately he had no problem leaving town for a week to go to his strip mall doctor in Ohio and a medical convention in Florida and a horse charity event in Arizona (I had no idea Maks supported horses LOL). Didn't Normani and Val only travel the first couple of weeks of the season? I wonder how bad he's kicking himself now.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, smiley13 said:

Ray of Light?  She was an obnoxious little troll and I hated having to see her in the audience last night.  Her "win" was a joke!

Obnoxious? Really. Nope, she learned to dance before our very eyes, never complained .Heather/Normani already know how to dance( my poor back hurts) boo hoo! They want Val to be another Derek, not.going.to.happen.

5 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

I would agree with this if not for Normani. I think this season has been very manipulated for her. Or rather, for Val. And I'm not sure why since he's not going on the tour and he just won last season.

According to one of his millions of interviews about himself this season, Maks was originally supposed to have "a different partner" but couldn't spend a few weeks traveling due to the baby. Ultimately he had no problem leaving town for a week to go to his strip mall doctor in Ohio and a medical convention in Florida and a horse charity event in Arizona (I had no idea Maks supported horses LOL). Didn't Normani and Val only travel the first couple of weeks of the season? I wonder how bad he's kicking himself now.

Val/Maks  zzzzz. Lets talk mouth off to the judges.

1 hour ago, Nalan said:

Where is Julianne, anyway?  She wasn't here last week, either.

On tour.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, bealled said:

I think people are overthinking the manipulations this season. I felt like Heather received pretty good spots each week and received good scores, but the producers weren't able to keep her around. The person I felt the show was giving the worst scores and slots in the show was Nick but he actually managed to stay longer than I would have predicted. I agree some of the scoring has been inconsistent this season but I feel like it always is. Nancy has been underscored some, but weak dancers like Bonner and David have been overscored most of the season.

It's somewhat interesting to read these comments because a few weeks ago everyone was proclaiming Simone the chosen one, but because Normani has emerged as a better dancer now she is being called the ordained winner from the producers. I feel like this season has actually been more unpredictable than recent ones. If this was a predictable season I don't think Heather and Nancy would have already been eliminated. I can make a guess on the final 3 to be Normani, Simone and Rashad but I would not be surprised if David kicked one of those 3 out. Heck Bonner has gone way further than I would have predicted and offers nothing I find appealing. I don't feel that any one contestant of the top tier has been receiving massively higher scores than they deserve. The most overscored contestants this season I think have been Bonner and David. Nancy and Nick were both underscored this season. I think part of those two being underscored is their placement in the show though. The ones who go early generally receive lower scores for starting off the show. I will agree that Nick received the worst treatment this season of anyone. I don't think he ever performed in the second half of the show (aside from a team dance or the dance-off). I thought he was the first to go twice, and probably generally went in the first 30 minutes of the broadcast. I know Nick was not among the best dancers, but I still felt he was given the shaft all season. However, I think a lot of those placements probably relate to how popular the show thinks Nick is, or even could be based off how many votes he had been receiving all season. I do doubt the show will go out of their way to keep giving a less popular contestant good performing slots near the end of the show. They put what they consider more popular contestants near the end to keep viewers watching the whole show. It is annoying when the same person constantly closes the show, but I understand why they do it.

There's manipulations and shenanigans, but I agree that it's probably not worse than in other seasons. I think a lot of the frustrated reaction is that with the set-up they've created, for some of us a rather predictable "worst case scenario" is playing out. You had 4 strong women contestants who just get extra scrutiny and judgement for being good, not to mention dragging for not being bubbly and fluffy enough (Normani, Nancy, Heather)...or being too fluffy (Simone). It's all playing out depressingly in various social media. While the men get adoration for showing up. Parts of the general audience have always voted like that, but it sorta feels like you get the extreme version of that this season.

They didn't particularly care for Nick, but it's not like they went out of their way to be nasty to him either. Nancy got the "anxiety" edit, but OTOH they let her ignore the whole Tonya Harding stuff, they gave her a suitable pro, her scores were good, she seemed to have a good time. She danced early a lot, but I figured that was tied to her not getting great votes from the start. Same with Heather, they tried to pull for her a bit, when that didn't work they made her the shocking elimination. And yeah, Normani is getting a lot of focus because she's a compelling performer and is probably getting a lot of votes ( I might be wrong, but I don't think I am...). Val is also very clever in packaging her, playing to her strengths and making her appealing as a dancer. I know not everyone here likes it and Len is grumbling, but her fans are eating it up, social media is buzzing with her, she's getting media attention. It's career strategizing for both of them and it's working (Normani building a profile as an individual performer, Val showing what he can deliver as a pro/dancer/teacher/choreographer). It's a surprise that Rashad and Normani are more compelling than Simone, but IMO they are, so that's what the producers are going with. They're pragmatic like that. I do think they want Bonner and Sharna to happen and it's a mixture of Southern boy, showmance, charming male and Sharna stan crowd powering that trainwreck now. Oh well.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/1/2017 at 10:37 PM, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

The gnashing of teeth regarding Bonner is kind of funny. But then again, I couldn't figure out what was so overwhelmingly special about James last season so what do I know.

Nyle won the whole thing and was a personality gaping black hole who actively thought he was too good for the show in his pre-dance packages. Alek Skarlatos (who is probably Bonner's closest comp in terms of having a personality that doesn't really jump of the screen made the finale with a pretty unknown Lindsay at that point), Noah Galloway and Antonio Brown had distasteful personalities and each recently made a finale. People enjoy watching Sharna and him together, people who rooted like crazy for Ty Murray back in the day are probably voting again in somewhat higher numbers...and he's the seasons designated "I overcame a life threatening injury/accident" which is worth a entire season long bump in votes. Before week one, I had no doubt (unless he was in Master P territory) that he was at least making the Top 5 if not the finale....

I respectfully disagree. For one thing, James, Nyle, Antonio & Ty can dance. As for Nyle's personality, IMO, he acted like he not only wanted to be there, for him it was both a learning experience and a teaching one, specifically about the deaf community. Alek & Noah weren't the best dancers, but they were still better than Bonner-and Noah lost three limbs.  David's not the best dancer either, but he's still better than Bonner. Not much better, but still better. David & Linsay's sci-fi Salsa was better than Bonner's shitty Paso Doble, but the latter wasn't Sharna's fault.  At least David's entertaining, unlike Bonner.  I wouldn't vote for David if he makes the Final 4, but at least seeing him there wouldn't make me want to kill my TV-again, unlike Bonner. 

I'm not a huge Bachelor fan, but Nick did impress me a couple of times, first with his Pinnochio-based Jazz routine and this week, with his Argentine Tango. It wasn't as awesome as Normani & Val's AT, but it was his best dance. 

Poor Nancy. Despite her nerves and confidence issues, Nancy not only still managed to pull herself together, she & Artem kicked ass every week, including this one. She definitely deserved to stay. 

Most of Simone & Sasha's routines have been hit-or-miss for me, but the Charleston was adorable.

Rashad & Emma are awesome! Their horror-themed Paso was funny, scary and sexy. I'm rooting for them to win. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 8