Type keyword(s) to search

S24.E07: Week 7: A Night at the Movies

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, GracieK said:

I am a huge Eagles fan so I know Rashad from the Giants playing the Eagles.. I'm also big into fantasy football so I tend to know the players on all the teams, so it's hard for me to say how recognizable he is to others, however, no he isn't elite.  He was their top rusher, but he has been banged up and he only averages around 3 yards per carry.  I don't think teams looks super favorably on him doing the show over working on off season workouts, and his age is definitely a factor.  He may end up on a roster for a team who has a last minute injury or needs some veteran leadership as you mentioned.. I just don't know that Rashad is that guy.  I think he's likeable too though, despite my disdain for him as a Giant :)

Fellow Eagle fan here....I understand your Giant-player aversion, lol.  I think you are probably right about a team with injuries being the best opportunity for him....or with a young team.  Heaven knows the Eagles have taken on some older and/or rejected players in the past.

• Love 2

So long thread to get through, but I think where I'm at with this season is it feels fairly joyless.  I was rooting for Nancy, though I expected Nancy and Nick to get the boot this week based on how things appeared to be going.  Especially when I think there are a lot of people at home that don't legitimately understand how voting works.  So for instance, last week when Heather got the boot, I saw a lot of people online blaming Nancy because Nancy was the one standing next to her.

As for the rest, I don't dislike anyone but Bonner, but nobody excites me on any level either.  I have the same critique of Simone as others.  I like her as a person, but she is on autopilot in her dances. That doesn't make for bad dances but it also keeps me from fully investing.

I love Rashad and Rashad/Emma as people and partners, but I wish I was more excited about his actual dances.  He's doing well and I guess I want him to win, though to be fair I think he's been doled out some crappy music/dance match-ups.

Also in what may be controversial, I'd add that I think some of what might be seen as dislike for Normani is honestly Val fatigue.  Is anybody besides his hardcore fans really itching to give the guy another mirrorball?  Or maybe that is just where I'm at.  I don't dislike Normani.  But my overall Val fatique keeps me from caring.  His choreography has gotten very stale.  I'm tired of him being the new Derek who automatically gets the top partners, and the one or two times he doesn't (like a Ginger), then he gets intense hyping and pushing from the TPTB/ABC machine to get to the finals.  He's been in every finals in recent history, except for the one when Tamar had to withdraw.  I'm tired of the show kissing his ass.  I'm even tired of seeing Val say the same crap to each and every partner and act like each experience is some new life changing moment.

Is any of that fair to Normani? No. But it is what it is.  I desperately think the show needs to find some new male pros to build things around as the male pro roster is fairly dull in terms of star quotient.  The female side is okay and they have found some young talent in Lindsay, but I think the show doesn't know how to operate unless they have either Derek or a Chmerkovskiy to center a season around, and at this point I'm tired of all of them.

I think I would be more interested in the show again if they did a complete overhaul of the pros, though I know that would never happen.

• Love 15
(edited)

As for trained dancers....it can't get any more trained than Ms. Chicago, Mya, and she still did not win!   I actually really enjoyed her dances but I am just saying being a trained and/or professional dancer does not guarantee you a win. 

Actually Nicole S from the Pussy Cat Dolls was a pretty big ringer and she won.  People are probably more sensitive to that now.

Being the underdog Cubs WS hero is going to help David go far.  You can't really blame him that he is still there.  He is smart enough to know he should be gone but what is he supposed to do.  Bonner is much more of a mystery.  I'm sure Len was not happy that he and David are still here and that Nancy is gone who he always praised highly. Would love to see Rashad in the finals.

Edited by Palomar
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, spanana said:

Also in what may be controversial, I'd add that I think some of what might be seen as dislike for Normani is honestly Val fatigue.  Is anybody besides his hardcore fans really itching to give the guy another mirrorball?  Or maybe that is just where I'm at.  I don't dislike Normani.  But my overall Val fatique keeps me from caring.  His choreography has gotten very stale.  I'm tired of him being the new Derek who automatically gets the top partners, and the one or two times he doesn't (like a Ginger), then he gets intense hyping and pushing from the TPTB/ABC machine to get to the finals.  He's been in every finals in recent history, except for the one when Tamar had to withdraw.  I'm tired of the show kissing his ass.  I'm even tired of seeing Val say the same crap to each and every partner and act like each experience is some new life changing moment.

This! I am so sick of the show assuming that all fans are hung up on Derek/Maks/Val and need them to be in the finals. All of them have been out and the show has been just fine. If Val isn't in the finals, the fans won't care. Honestly I don't even remember one freestyle he did. That said, I like Normani, just like I liked Laurie Hernandez. I'm just sick of the show reserving a spot in the finals for Val.

I'd like to see what Sasha and Emma can do.

• Love 6

DH and I are rodeo fans and follow the PBR circuit. We'd seen Bonner ride and I remember him because he is taller than the average bull rider. I can't believe it is the rodeo people voting; it must be people voting because he's cute. He has an occasional pretty line but his overall movement is so stiff.  Curious why he's still there. 

ok, I admit that I haven't made it through all 7 pages of this thread, so if I am repeating what someone else already posted, please forgive me. I know that David is not a good dancer- and David knows that he is not a good dancer. In his package I felt like he was saying good bye- it was fun, and he couldn't believe it that he had made it that far. I did think that Bonner and Dave would be the boot Monday night, I was ok if it was Bonner and Nick. I was shocked that it was Nancy. This is some crazy stuff!!

7 hours ago, spanana said:

I'm even tired of seeing Val say the same crap to each and every partner and act like each experience is some new life changing moment.

This is so true...I rolled my eyes when he said "If Len wants content, we'll give him content!" Lol, how many seasons have you been on the show, Val? You're only just realizing that Len loves content?? Or, maybe you do/say this every year!

The only thing missing was a tear from Val when he realized that his drive for perfection is what caused Normani to be injured...

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, tessaforever said:

This is so true...I rolled my eyes when he said "If Len wants content, we'll give him content!" Lol, how many seasons have you been on the show, Val? You're only just realizing that Len loves content?? Or, maybe you do/say this every year!

The only thing missing was a tear from Val when he realized that his drive for perfection is what caused Normani to be injured...

Probably better suited for Val's thread, but please don't get me started on Val's pseudo intellectual bullshit.  Val is a guy that needs to make everything into some important life changing moment, with some deep deep meaning that nobody can understand besides him and his partner of the moment.  Except that he has amnesia from season to season since he repeats the same crap.

I think my fave eyeroll moment was last season when he came up with some three or four sentence definition for Team Valaur (his team name with Laurie), which was some take on the word valor, and it was all about unity, respect, courage and leading by example, which he then promptly printed on shirts and sold to his minions.  It's a silly team name for DWTS.  Chill.  I don't begrudge people selling shirts but it was the epitome of taking oneself too seriously for a silly show.

Then this season he wanted his team name with Normani to be "Booty and the Beast" until Normani's fans revolted.  I guess some seasons its about honor and some seasons its about objectifying women.

So at this point it's about the pros for me.  Of the remaining pros, the two I'd most like see win are Emma and Lindsay, and David isn't really good enough to justify a win.  Give it to a pro who has worked her ass off and who generally has to even fight to get a pro spot season to season.

• Love 7

I'll see you his team names and their lengthy explanations, and raise you his terrible naval-gazing poetry on Instagram! 

I would also love to see Emma or Lindsay win, they are both beautiful dancers and hard workers. 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, tessaforever said:

I'll see you his team names and their lengthy explanations, and raise you his terrible naval-gazing poetry on Instagram! 

The only thing better than that would be if it were on an old Angelfire or Geocities website.

• Love 1

My situation this season is a bit different than normal because we dropped cable, and use antennae and streaming.  Since ABC is the one network channel that sometimes comes in and sometimes doesn't, my only other option is on demand on our streaming, which is a week and a day later, or youtube the next day.  I don't know if it is the lack of ability to watch it live, or if this season is just really boring because I can't really get into it.  I agree losing Nancy and Nick didn't help....those left are not all that interesting to me.  I am just not really into anyone left all that much....I think the votes will be interesting due to who they have left...some aren't well known, and those that are aren't dancing the strongest.  

12 hours ago, tessaforever said:

I would also love to see Emma or Lindsay win, they are both beautiful dancers and hard workers. 

Taking my response to Val's thread.

• Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, alexa said:

My situation this season is a bit different than normal because we dropped cable, and use antennae and streaming.  Since ABC is the one network channel that sometimes comes in and sometimes doesn't, my only other option is on demand on our streaming, which is a week and a day later, or youtube the next day.  I don't know if it is the lack of ability to watch it live, or if this season is just really boring because I can't really get into it.  I agree losing Nancy and Nick didn't help....those left are not all that interesting to me.  I am just not really into anyone left all that much....I think the votes will be interesting due to who they have left...some aren't well known, and those that are aren't dancing the strongest.  

FYI, if you want to watch the show same day, Idolxfactor.com posts videos of the dances (includes rehearsal package, dance, judges comments, and scores) during the East Coast live broadcast starting 8pm EST/5pm PST. It takes about 20 minutes after each couple dances for the video to go up.

Edited by calipiano81

I only just caught up with this episode.  I don't have time to read over 315 posts but I see I'm far from alone in being upset that the two lead feet remain (David and Bonner) while Nancy went home.  Women with talent can't get caught a break on this show.  Men without talent and huge fan bases go far.  It's starting to get old after 24 seasons and really compromises audience enjoyment.  Where was the "immunity" last week when Heather could have used it?  Too little too late and it didn't really benefit anyone this week anyway I am sure.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

I don't have time to read over 315 posts ..........

Where is the post count??? How do you know there are over 315 posts??? I don't see any post numbers. My browser is the latest version of Firefox.

Thanks.

(edited)
32 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

Where is the post count??? How do you know there are over 315 posts??? I don't see any post numbers. My browser is the latest version of Firefox.

Thanks.

At the top of this page Is one of the places you can see the post count. 

S24.E07: Week 7: A Night at the Movies2017.05.01

OnceSane  April 27  319 posts

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 1
On 5/6/2017 at 4:30 PM, ginger90 said:

At the top of this page Is one of the places you can see the post count. 

S24.E07: Week 7: A Night at the Movies2017.05.01

OnceSane  April 27  319 posts

Son of a gun.....never noticed that. I also now see a thread post count on the page that lists the threads. I wish each individual post was numbered. Thanks.

• Love 1
On 5/3/2017 at 0:16 PM, Quickbeam said:

DH and I are rodeo fans and follow the PBR circuit. We'd seen Bonner ride and I remember him because he is taller than the average bull rider. I can't believe it is the rodeo people voting; it must be people voting because he's cute. He has an occasional pretty line but his overall movement is so stiff.  Curious why he's still there. 

I think he is getting votes from cowboys and wannabe cowboys along with rodeo fans.  

(edited)

I just can't imagine many crossover fans from cowboys/rodeo and DWTS. I know there are fandoms that will vote for someone without actually watching (NASCAR and Cubs come to mind), but I didn't realize rodeo was that kind of fandom. Or that big, to be honest. I live in a pretty rural area, and rodeo is around but not huge here. I'm sure it's much bigger in the south and/or west, I just don't know how big.

Edited by majormama
3 hours ago, wings707 said:

I think he is getting votes from cowboys and wannabe cowboys along with rodeo fans.  

That may be true, but I'm not so sure.  I think Ty Murray (season 8) was probably a lot better known and liked in the rodeo community than Bonner.  While hardly one of DWTS better contestants, Murray was certainly a far better dancer than Bonner.  He went out in 4th place in his season, and other than lasting a week longer than Lil' Kim, who was a lot better than he was, 4th place seemed about right for his level of skill and improvement during the season. 

My guess (and it's only a guess, like everyone else) is that if the largely older, female demographic of DWTS thought Ty Murray was as "cute" as Bonner, Ty would have at least made it to the finals.  My opinion is that the usual DWTS demographic is more responsible for Bonner lasting well well beyond his sell-by date than are cowboys and rodeo fans.

I don't know who is voting for Bonner.  I just hope that he is the one eliminated if David has too many baseball fans.  Then, I hope David is next and the top three are Normani, Simone, and Rashad.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, realdancemom said:

I don't know who is voting for Bonner.  I just hope that he is the one eliminated if David has too many baseball fans.

As of this week, accomplished!:)

• Love 2