Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: The Body

Mother masquerading as Norman has got me convinced that she was in control when Norma died. Any woman in Norman's life has to go, and so she tries to pin the murder of Sam on Madeline. And I bet that Mother will reveal she did it in the final episode.

The sheriff didn't believe Mother's bullshit for one second. Gold star!

Chick, you stupid slime bag, you should have gotten out when you had the chance. Glad Alex killed him.

I really hope Dylan and Emma don't get divorced over this.

• Love 6

Well shit just got real.

My big question of the night is how much of the Norman and Madeline relationship was real?

Mother sure can spin a tall tale.  I almost believed her lies myself.  It is good to know the sheriff is competent though.

It was nice knowing you Chick.  Probably best you didn't write that book anyway.

• Love 4

Wow, this show is so good I don't want it to end. I have no idea how they are going to wrap everything up in two more episodes.

I wonder if they are going to find Chick's body. They already searched the house, right?

Did Emma even know her mother had come to town during her surgery (before Dylan told her last week)? How awful to know her mom finally tried to reach out and was taken away from her. 

39 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Well shit just got real.

My big question of the night is how much of the Norman and Madeline relationship was real?

Mother sure can spin a tall tale.  I almost believed her lies myself.  It is good to know the sheriff is competent though.

Mother almost convinced me too. I think the sheriff was feeling Madeline out when she talked to her, but ultimately believed her over Norman/Mother. The sheriff also seemed to notice that Norman had changed from when she first questioned him to when Mother took over. I don't think she quite got what was happening, but she knows something was going on.

• Love 8

Dang! Where to start.

It seems impossible for Norman to get out of this, but I think he will. Mother can spin a tale, that's for sure. Glad the sheriff wasn't fooled. I wondered for a little bit there.

Oh Dylan. I feel for him just wanting Norman to get help, but now is the time to tell the sheriff everything. Though the lawyer he hired is a shark, and I can see her spinning anything he says; As Mother said, his intentions are good, but his hiring her is so going to backfire.

Bye, Chick. I've been over Romero since he got together with Norma and his scenes in the house were a little cheesy for me, but I'm not mad at him shooting Chick. 

• Love 2

I thought the very subtle reflection of Norma against Norman in the mirror at the holding cell was awesome!  I didn't even see it until I saw it on Twitter and re-wound for a second look! It's the little details! 

Freddie directed this epsiode too.  

• Love 12

Damn, Freddie Highmore directed this one!  I like how much he has been involved behind the scenes this season.  Again, while I'm glad this has been a benefit to him acting wise, I'm glad that he is trying new things as well in the industry, and I'm looking forward to seeing if he'll continue to do so, once the show is done.

"Norma" taking out Norman and basically controlling his body was creepy.  What is even creepier is that she truly seem to think she is doing the right thing, and is protecting him.  Even if she only exists in Norman's head, she is more fleshed out and layered character then a lot of other ones out there on other shows.  And, as usual, it certainly helps that Vera Farmiga is perfection in the role.

Show fooled me, again.  For a second, I thought Norma's frame job on Madeline would actually hold water with the new sheriff, which I thought was a stretch.  But I love that while the new sheriff did investigate it a bit, she quickly saw through it and Norma's story.  Norma clearly underestimated her.  And now Norman is going to court for THREE murders.  Yikes!  But there are still two episodes left.  I wonder if Norma has a Plan C in her crazy notebook!

As soon as Romero saw Chick, I had a feeling Chick wasn't going to be long for this world, and the more he spoke, the more obvious it became.  Still cracked up over the big ding sound the typewriter made, when Chick's head slammed into it.  Oh, Bates Motel.  You can make death so funny at times!

Holy crap, that was Yo-Yo from Agents of Shield as Norman's lawyer!  Liked the little name drop that she was a recommendation to Dylan from Remo.  Part of me wants to see him pop up again, another part of me doesn't because, well, it would a perilous for any returning character.

Dylan now knows that Norman is responsible for the death of Emma's mother.  This is going to get ugly.  Even if Emma wasn't really close to her mom, finding out your brother in-law (who was even an old boyfriend at one time!), has to be harrowing for most anyone.  I hope they survive it though.

Only two episodes left!

• Love 9

Romero seeing Norma around the house was so bad. It was like from a soap opera. However, the rest of the episode made up for it.

When at the beginning Greene said how she thinks Norman is making it all up, I was like 'so that's how they stretch the plot for last episodes'. But nope, it got turned around very quickly. But now that there's only two episodes, like under 90 minutes worth, I'm afraid it will be just about Norman's trial and then he's ultimately convicted. I'm not saying he shouldn't be convicted, but if these final two will concentrate only on that, it does feel kinda anti-climactic. At least now in advance, but they probably will find a way to make it interesting and intense. Or maybe the show is once again fooling with my expectations like it's been doing through out the season and they're doing something completely different.

R.I.P. Chick. I loved the character and Hurst did amazing job, but it was so satisfying to see him die. And it came so out of the blue, there was no "physical" buildup for the death (Alex pointing the gun, them fighting or anything like that). It caught me off guard and I couldn't help but laugh.

Edited by RedMal
  • Love 6

I didn't mind the goofy scenes of Romero seeing Norma. I think it was just showing how much he really loved her. I am so dumb, when Norma had that look of "oh,we have to find someone to blame if they find a body" I was afraid it was going to be Dylan! Whew, glad I was wrong. Turns out, it didn't matter anyway.

• Love 4

Oh, I thought the murder was going to be pinned on Dylan, too! Except that wouldn't make any sense because he has a pretty good alibi (wasn't even in town at the time of the murder), and he has no motive to kill Sam.

Romero seeing Norma was cheesy, but it did make me a little misty. I miss Norma, too, Romero!

I'm surprised Chick got killed, and by Romero of all people, but I'm kind of glad this also kills off the possibility that he's gonna make a mint selling his ill-gotten story. That would have bugged me if he got that ending instead.

I know it's supposed to be an "all genders" bathroom sign that the camera lingered a little bit on, but it could also work as a pictograph depiction of Norman's state of mind. Sometimes he's Norman, sometimes he's Mother, sometimes he is both.

Double meaning title! The Body could be all the dead bodies and it could be the fight of the two personalities over control of Norman's body. Clever.

• Love 13

Romero seeing Norma made me tear up a little.

On the preview: There's no death penalty in Oregon. We did have a famous state hospital for the insane (featured in "Some Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest").

• Love 3
5 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Wow, this show is so good I don't want it to end. I have no idea how they are going to wrap everything up in two more episodes.

I wonder if they are going to find Chick's body. They already searched the house, right?

Did Emma even know her mother had come to town during her surgery (before Dylan told her last week)? How awful to know her mom finally tried to reach out and was taken away from her. 

Mother almost convinced me too. I think the sheriff was feeling Madeline out when she talked to her, but ultimately believed her over Norman/Mother. The sheriff also seemed to notice that Norman had changed from when she first questioned him to when Mother took over. I don't think she quite got what was happening, but she knows something was going on.

I loved the look on her face.  She has seen it all and it showed.

5 hours ago, Baby Button Eyes said:

I thought the very subtle reflection of Norma against Norman in the mirror at the holding cell was awesome!  I didn't even see it until I saw it on Twitter and re-wound for a second look! It's the little details! 

Freddie directed this epsiode too.  

He is a talented man.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, RedMal said:

Romero seeing Norma around the house was so bad. It was like from a soap opera. However, the rest of the episode made up for it.

When at the beginning Greene said how she thinks Norman is making it all up, I was like 'so that's how they stretch the plot for last episodes'. But nope, it got turned around very quickly. But now that there's only two episodes, like under 90 minutes worth, I'm afraid it will be just about Norman's trial and then he's ultimately convicted. I'm not saying he shouldn't be convicted, but if these final two will concentrate only on that, it does feel kinda anti-climactic. At least now in advance, they probably will find a way to make it interesting and intense. Or maybe the show is once again fooling with my expectations like it's been doing through out the season and they're doing something completely different.

R.I.P. Chick. I loved the character and Hurst did amazing job, but it was so satisfying to see him die. And it came so out of the blue, there was no "physical" buildup for the death (Alex pointing the gun, them fighting or anything like that). It caught me off guard and I couldn't help but laugh.

The images Romero saw did seem a little off, but when Chick said the house was haunted, the pieces clicked into place for me.  It's not unusual for grieving people to get visitations of some kind from loved ones, be in visions, or dreams, or whatever.  This was his.  When Romero killed Chick I realized for the first time that he doesn't intend to live through this.  If it had been easy and he had just found Norman going about his business at the motel, Romero would have shot him and then committed suicide, I think.  He's just done with life and wants to be with Norma.

What on EARTH was Chick wearing when he was sitting at the typewriter?

• Love 5

Ugh that was a little slow and felt like a bit of a stall. I kind of don't understand the lawyer. Insanity defense is pulled out for the slightest of things I would have pulled that out immediately.  Typically any allegation of insanity the def't is sent out for an examination and records are collected. With Norman's mental health history... everyone would have believed him - and Dylan pays the bills. 

I loved the smart female sheriff. Norma thought she was going to flip flam her but loved when she was like "charge me" and the Sheriff was like "sure, I charge you with the death of Sam Loomis" HA HA. 

Loved that Dylan wouldn't cooperate with the police. 

Romero was a bit off.

Was both surprised and happy when Chick was terminated there. I do suspect that somehow those tapes and the information Chick collected will end up in the hands of the authorities. I did feel for Romero when Chick told him that Norman had dug up Norma's body. 

I wonder if Dylan realizes that Norman killed his mom. Now that it is confirmed that his worst fears with regard to Emma's mom are true he must know that Norma didn't commit suicide. 

• Love 3

So many thoughts.  I had the choice to watch this or the new Better Call Saul this morning before work, and I went with Bates Motel.  And I was completely mesmerized.  

I liked how ghost Norma had her hair curled.  I've been noticing that, although actual Norma liked to curl her hair, and was often wearing the curls, which did soften and flatter her, Mother always wears her hair straight and rather severe.  I think it is another reflection of the difference between Norma and Mother.  Mother is there solely to protect Norman, and therefore she is the stern one, the controlling one, and the one whose word is law.  And I wondered why there was no one watching to see him force up the meds (and to wonder why he would ask for them so much and then throw them up!), and so see him knock himself out.  A prisoner has to be watched pretty closely (NY requires actual view of every prisoner in a holding cell every 15 minutes), and a lot of especially small agencies had installed cameras, so that one person can watch the prisoner and do work around the station too.  That would be one screwed up video!

The snow in Seattle bothered me, but I have decided if that's the only thing bothering me, I will let it go.  Emma and Katie did look cute sitting out there, though.  Please stay in Seattle Emma!!  Even though your mom is now going to be buried in WPB (for no reason--she had no connections there, but I"m sure that's where the funeral will be, since she didn't seem to have connections anywhere else).  For Katie's sake, stay away!  I want Dylan to live too, but I watched their phone call, with Dylan in the dark in the motel and Emma and Katie in the light in Seattle, an I have a horrible fear that he will die and they will be the only hope of escape from Norman's tragedy.

Can't believe there are only two more episodes, and can't wait to see them.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, BooBear said:

I kind of don't understand the lawyer. Insanity defense is pulled out for the slightest of things I would have pulled that out immediately.  Typically any allegation of insanity the def't is sent out for an examination and records are collected. With Norman's mental health history... everyone would have believed him - and Dylan pays the bills. ...

I wonder if Dylan realizes that Norman killed his mom. Now that it is confirmed that his worst fears with regard to Emma's mom are true he must know that Norma didn't commit suicide. 

The lawyer ethically has to abide by her client's wishes, despite who is paying the bills. Norman wanted that established first and foremost, and he also wanted established that he would not be sent to an asylum. If she arranged for Norman to be found not guilty by reason of insanity, that's where he would likely be sent. So no insanity plea. 

If there's a conflict between the actual client and the person paying the client's bills, the client is supposed to win.

It's possible -- and Dylan might cling to this in a state of denial -- that Norman killed his mother-in-law without having killed his mother. The notion that Norman turned on the gas and was exposed to it might make someone without the insight we've been given doubt that Norman was involved or meant to kill both of them.

5 hours ago, Andromeda said:

Romero seeing Norma made me tear up a little.

On the preview: There's no death penalty in Oregon. We did have a famous state hospital for the insane (featured in "Some Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest").

Could be that they would want to try Norman in the federal system, since there is a federal death penalty. I'm not sure if the likelihood that his known victims come from different states is enough to take the case federal or not.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, RedMal said:

Agree competently!

4 hours ago, smorbie said:

When Romero killed Chick I realized for the first time that he doesn't intend to live through this.  If it had been easy and he had just found Norman going about his business at the motel, Romero would have shot him and then committed suicide, I think.  He's just done with life and wants to be with Norma.

What on EARTH was Chick wearing when he was sitting at the typewriter?

You might be on to something. I think too now that Romero might kill himself as part of the tragic ending.  One thing's for sure though, if Alex and Norman all end up dead and "reunited" with Norma, that's not going to be a happy family reunion in the afterlife. ;-)

I've come to the conclusion Chick might be wearing every piece of clothing (including head-wear) he owns at the same time. I wonder how long he'll be down there till someone finds him.  

4 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I want Dylan to live too, but I watched their phone call, with Dylan in the dark in the motel and Emma and Katie in the light in Seattle, an I have a horrible fear that he will die and they will be the only hope of escape from Norman's tragedy.

Can't believe there are only two more episodes, and can't wait to see them.

I want Dylan to survive too. I also want him to pull his head out of his ass, get a mental grasp on who his brother really is, and put his family w/Emma & Katie first. Last night while watching my hubs said, "Where is Dylan from season 1?"   This watered down version of Dylan is not nearly as satisfying or engaging to watch. 

Edited by Peanut6711
  • Love 6

What I find interesting is that while Mother is trying to help she is only making things so much worse.  Her lies sound brilliant (I mean pinning Sam's death on Madeline was a work of genius) but once you even start to investigate the story falls apart.  I am still thinking that the majority of the relationship we saw between Norman and Madeline didn't actually happen.  

• Love 1

I really disliked that Dylan wouldn't tell the sheriff what he knew.  There's family loyalty, but there is also the idea of protecting innocent people from being killed by someone who had killed before.  If Norman were to be released, then, quite frankly, any future deaths would be on Dylan.  In real life some people commit horrific crimes, yet families will deny that their loved one could have committed any such crime.  I don't know, maybe it's that I think the victims should have a voice.  

Anyway, I will so miss this show.

• Love 4

When I saw Dylan stand up to the sheriff, I thought about all the comments on here that he had been tamed somewhat.  I, myself, never thought that.  I always thought of that as rebellion against Norma and a facade for his job.  

But, there was our Dylan, being strong, standing up to the sheriff.  And, yes, he should have been upfront with her, but he's so scared.  As for Norma's death, my bet is that his mind can't go there.

I want to say that Chick's tapes will ensure Norman gets Guilty, But Insane at trial.  But, from the previews it does look like he's on trial for his life.

As for Oregon's not having the death penalty, I'm willing to let that go.  It makes for better story telling for him to be facing that.

• Love 1

It's the age old question:  if your brother came to you and confessed to a horrible murder would you do what you could for him or would you turn your back on him?  

I have never been a big Dylan fan and honestly find his character boring but this last couple episodes I find his need to protect Norman almost endearing.  Of course I still think he's going to die a horrible death and don't particularly care.  I am more interested in what will happen when Romero finally comes face to face with Norman.  I am conflicted.  Part of me wants Romero to have his revenge but the twisted part of me wants Romero to underestimate how sick Norman really is and to have him be the last victim of Mother before the story ends.  

And the story end with Norman and Mother being truely alone in that old house. Just like they wanted.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

Best part of the episode was Romero putting a bullet in Chick's head.  I'm only sorry that it was so quick and unexpected, that he didn't suffer before he died.  It's funny because I've liked Ryan Hurst in past roles but I could not stand him as Chick.  Didn't help that he looked like a walking pig pen. 

• Love 5

There were so many commercials in the episode.

I wonder if Chick wrote the true crime story as himself committing the murders while taking advantage of a crazy Norman, having him assist in the dumping of bodies. That might get Norman off.

And Emma being okay with Dylan spending their money on Norman's lawyer.... not likely.

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Best part of the episode was Romero putting a bullet in Chick's head.  I'm only sorry that it was so quick and unexpected, that he didn't suffer before he died.  It's funny because I've liked Ryan Hurst in past roles but I could not stand him as Chick.  Didn't help that he looked like a walking pig pen. 

lol Pig Pen--I love it!  I really disliked Chick's character but I think the actor did a fabulous job with the role.  I'm rather relieved that Chick went down. This is one instance where knowing that ahead of time might have allowed me to enjoy his character more. But when they introduced the book writing bit I feared he'd come out on top as some great literary ace.   I wonder if his novel starts out "It was a dark and stormy night...."

• Love 1
1 hour ago, smorbie said:

When I saw Dylan stand up to the sheriff, I thought about all the comments on here that he had been tamed somewhat.  I, myself, never thought that.  I always thought of that as rebellion against Norma and a facade for his job.  

But, there was our Dylan, being strong, standing up to the sheriff.  And, yes, he should have been upfront with her, but he's so scared.  As for Norma's death, my bet is that his mind can't go there.

I want to say that Chick's tapes will ensure Norman gets Guilty, But Insane at trial.  But, from the previews it does look like he's on trial for his life.

As for Oregon's not having the death penalty, I'm willing to let that go.  It makes for better story telling for him to be facing that.

I feel like Season 1 Dylan is very different from present Dylan, and yet exactly the same. The bravado is gone, of course, but I thought the bravado was just a defense mechanism to hide how much he truly cared, and he still cares just as much. Too much, maybe.

I really wish Dylan had told the sheriff everything. Yes, he wants to protect Norman, but he doesn't want him to go free, he just wants him placed in a mental institution. Spill all the crazy, Dylan! He couldn't have known Norman/Mother had ordered the lawyer not to go for an insanity plea at that point. I wonder how that will change things for Dylan?

I'm guessing Romero will take Chick's tapes so they won't factor into the trial. Speaking of Chick's tapes, I wonder if Dylan will ever find out about Caleb. I doubt it at this point, but I really want some confirmation about where his mind is regarding Norma's death.

• Love 5

As much as I liked Chick, I'm glad he wont be getting a positive ending where he spins this story into a great work of literature and profits off all this murder and mayhem. I did kind of like the idea of him becoming the author of Psycho, but I also think his tapes will still come into play at some point.

I'm obsessed with that interrogation scene, and how you can see Mother in the background reflected in the glass, it was just so subtle and creepy. Freddie really is quite the renaissance man, isn't he? He can act, write, AND direct! I just went on about how he did a great job writing last week, and I think he also did a wonderful job directing this week. Wherever Freddie goes after this show ends, I will follow as closely as Mother (but with less killing)!

I'm now seriously considering that it was Mother who actually killed Norma, and not Norman. Norman trying to kill himself is more Norman than Mother, but the killing itself? That seems like classic Mother in retrospect. She really did spin an impressive story to the Sheriff, I was surprised she didn't buy it at all. As she shouldn't, because things like evidence exists, but I was still impressed. Dylan, just tell the truth damn it! I love how much he loves Norman and wants to protect him, but he knows that Norman is seriously ill! All he has to do is explain Mother and he would be on his meds and in a mental health facility instantly! He has to realize that that Mother is one trying to keep him out of jail/mental hospital. He saw his brother as himself turning himself in and begging to be put on his meds, so he knows this is what Norman wants, so why not give it to him? Norman shouldn't be left alone on any level, he's pretty much textbook Danger to Himself and Others, and leaving him free not only dooms his future victims, it also dooms Norman himself, whos clearly horrified by his actions as Mother and is desperately trying to fight "her".

I wonder if this is because he feels guilty about leaving Norman and Norma to run off with Emma, and he blames himself for Norma's death and Normans insanity, even if he just thinks Norma killed herself.

I cant believe how few episodes are left.

• Love 1

Well someone a while back mentioned that chick would be taken out in some way connected to a typewriter and he or she was kind of right. "Ding".  I mentioned at some point that I thought Mother was going to take over and I was kind of right. Though I pictured her taking over at the complete end.  And they showed the toilet scene I remember seeing in a season preview somewhere. 

2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

It's the age old question:  if your brother came to you and confessed to a horrible murder would you do what you could for him or would you turn your back on him?  

I have never been a big Dylan fan and honestly find his character boring but this last couple episodes I find his need to protect Norman almost endearing.  Of course I still think he's going to die a horrible death and don't particularly care.  I am more interested in what will happen when Romero finally comes face to face with Norman.  I am conflicted.  Part of me wants Romero to have his revenge but the twisted part of me wants Romero to underestimate how sick Norman really is and to have him be the last victim of Mother before the story ends.  

And the story end with Norman and Mother being truely alone in that old house. Just like they wanted.

The last line was creepy and cryptic. And two decades from now Mother in Norman's mind has also grown old. She wears her greying hair in a bun and when she does not sit in that wheel chair(mother suffered a fall down the basement stairs or did Mother just really piss Norman off one time too many) she likes to sit in her rocking chair and sometimes rock slowly in it.  At one point Norman over the phone tells some girl he is sorry he can't see her anymore. When he hangs up we hear an aged version of Veras voice say "It's okay my boy she was not good enough for you anyway now bring me my tea". Norman with a tear in his eye says "Yes Mother"   I mentioned in the past this is how I envisioned Norman's future if he never was caught but then doubted this would happen once he discovered Mother was not Norma because I believed Norman was going to be fighting her. Well he has but I think she would have found a way to completely dominate him still. Anyhow realistically even though my fantasy ending is creepy I see nobody going back home to that house.

3 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I really disliked that Dylan wouldn't tell the sheriff what he knew.  There's family loyalty, but there is also the idea of protecting innocent people from being killed by someone who had killed before.  If Norman were to be released, then, quite frankly, any future deaths would be on Dylan.  In real life some people commit horrific crimes, yet families will deny that their loved one could have committed any such crime.  I don't know, maybe it's that I think the victims should have a voice.  

Anyway, I will so miss this show.

Remember Dylan doesn't know that his lawyer is NOT working on an insanity defense. If I thought my brother was getting help no way would I give the Sheriff any unneeded information that she could use for her own purposes. If I were Dylan and my lawyer failed to put in an insanity defense.. I would fire that lawyer. But frankly, I think the prosecution would bring it up and ask for an evaluation. Imagine putting in 2 years of work to have Norman get insane right on the eve of trial when you have done all the work?  Not to mention small town.. probably already know that he was mentally challenged. 

On the subject of the final outcome for Dylan... I posed over in the Media thread something that could answer that question.  If you want to be spoiled. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Bec said:

I know it's supposed to be an "all genders" bathroom sign that the camera lingered a little bit on, but it could also work as a pictograph depiction of Norman's state of mind. Sometimes he's Norman, sometimes he's Mother, sometimes he is both.

I noticed the sign also and didn't make that connection...good analysis. Very true.

The reflection of Mother in the glass was also a nice touch.

Mother doesn't realize that Norman almost walked away from this but she just couldn't stop meddling.  I'm sure as soon as "she" started talking (calling the sheriff by her first name especially) it tipped her off that something wasn't "right".  In the previous interview Norman gave, he was contrite, desperate and remorseful.  Afterwards, he acted like a criminal after his lawyer got to him and I'm certain she saw right thru it.  I love Vera but I wish Freddie had been on-screen during all of this and Norma was in the reflections only. 

I was disappointed that the writers had Dylan describe Norman as "crazy" rather than "mentally ill".  Up until now, they have done a great job avoiding the stereotype.

I thought Norma was going to pin Sam's murder on Marion, which would have made more sense, since all her stuff was gone and she peeled out of the parking lot and left evidence.

• Love 2

I didn't mind Alex's visions of Norma.  He and Norman are linked, both in love with the same woman. (They're also both murderers, but that's another story.) But his visions need to be contrasted with Norman's twisted visions of Mother, so I liked the romantic glow she had when he saw her.  It reminded me of watching old family movies. 

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

I didn't mind Alex's visions of Norma.  He and Norman are linked, both in love with the same woman. (They're also both murderers, but that's another story.) But his visions need to be contrasted with Norman's twisted visions of Mother, so I liked the romantic glow she had when he saw her.  It reminded me of watching old family movies. 

Both Norman and Romero are effectively haunted by the same woman.  

• Love 8

I wonder what Romero is going to do now.  He can’t well stay at the motel.  Maybe he’ll end up at King’s Motel where Dylan is.  I wasn’t expecting him to kill Chick, but I guess it should come as no surprise.  Law enforcement will be surprised to find a new body in the house after Norman was in custody.  I agree with the theory that Romero is not going to make it out alive and also that he never intended to. 

I have noticed people commenting on how much they miss the Dylan from season 1, and I enjoyed that Dylan too, but I like this version of Dylan better, and I actually think it would be kind of odd that he hadn’t matured in the years since he came to White Pine Bay. 

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I really thought for a long time that Romero would end up turning Norman in, but I don't know what's going to happen now.  Norman's already in.  And Romero just killed Chick.  Now if he would just ease on over to TWD set and do the same to Negan, I would be a happy girl.

But, it would be a quandary if I were Dylan.  Norman is obviously insane.  Anyone can see that; he can't hide it anymore.  So, no matter what happened, Norman needed to go somewhere out of that house to get help.  But he's also a murderer.  Now, you and I can see the right thing to do would be to tell the police everything that happened from the first time Norman attached him in the kitchen way back in season one.  

But when you are in it the obviously right thing is to painful to even consider sometimes.  So, what he ends up doing is what he can live with having done.  He got Norman a lawyer and good for him for doing that.  Norman does need legal help.  But, someone, somewhere is going to have to realize this man is not evil, he's just really, really sick.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, Fable said:

I wonder what Romero is going to do now.  He can’t well stay at the motel.  Maybe he’ll end up at King’s Motel where Dylan is.  I wasn’t expecting him to kill Chick, but I guess it should come as no surprise.  Law enforcement will be surprised to find a new body in the house after Norman was in custody.  I agree with the theory that Romero is not going to make it out alive and also that he never intended to. 

I have noticed people commenting on how much they miss the Dylan from season 1, and I enjoyed that Dylan too, but I like this version of Dylan better, and I actually think it would be kind of odd that he hadn’t matured in the years since he came to White Pine Bay. 

He could hide out at Chick's place if he gets rid of the body. I doubt Chick gets many visitors.

I wonder if there is physical evidence linking Norman to any of the murders?

With Romero finding out that Norman dug up Norma's body and then moved it, I'm guessing the final confrontation between the two is going to take place in the woods where Norman left Norma's body.

• Love 1

My question is what is Mother's feelings towards Norma.  The real Norma.  Is Mother willing to throw Norma under the bus to protect Norman?  It's beyond the realm of possibilities to cast doubt on Norma to protect Norman.  Use the entire family history of incest and abuse to cast doubt or at least get Norman off death row.  

• Love 1

I see people contemplating different endings, but isn't this series supposed to be the prequel to the Psycho movie? If so, then Norman ends up living free in the old house with Norma's body. He does not get better, but he doesn't get jailed or placed in a psychiatric hospital (I don't think there's enough time left for a trial, to be found insane, be placed in a hospital, and be released while still being so mentally ill).

I'm thinking that Romero shooting Chick (which was done so well!) will be the key to it all. Since the murder occurred while Norman was in jail, they will know he didn't kill Chick. That means there is another killer around. I think they'll pin all the murders on Romero and Norman/Norma will go free. That will then fit the storyline of the Psycho movie.

Edited by Complexity
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Complexity said:

I see people contemplating different endings, but isn't this series supposed to be the prequel to the Psycho movie? If so, then Norman ends up living free in the old house with Norma's body. He does not get better, but he doesn't get jailed or placed in a psychiatric hospital (I don't think there's enough time left for a trial, to be found insane, be placed in a hospital, and be released while still being so mentally ill.

I'm thinking that Romero shooting Chick (which was done so well!) will be the key to it all. Since the murder occurred while Norman was in jail, they will know he didn't kill Chick. That means there is another killer around. I think they'll pin all the murders on Romero and Norman/Norma will go free. That will then fit the storyline of the Psycho movie.

The show is now in a different universe than the Psycho universe, rather than a prequel. In the show, Marion Crane is alive (as far as we know), while Sam Loomis was killed by Norman as himself while Sam was in a shower. In the movie, Marion was killed in the shower by Norman in his "Mother" persona, while Sam Loomis was alive.  Norman being charged with three murders puts the show in a very different place than the movie. Although in the next couple episodes it could come round to a similar ending with Norman-as-Mother thinking he couldn't harm a fly and letting a fly crawl on his face, it still is just a different universe.

• Love 9

Wouldn't it be cool for the audience but horrible for the character of Romero if he gets pinned as the murderer!!!!  Poor guy.  Wow there are only two episodes left and I am not sure where they are going with this. We are obviously going to see the trial according to the preview. Mother has really messed things up for Norman.  On another subject it was  very interesting what someone said about the possibility that Norman's connection with Madeline was in his head!!! I had never considered that a possibility. When she was talking about Norman in this episode she mentioned that he came in the store. I figured the reason she did not mention their connection is well she is married and did not want to open a can of worms. If by chance his connection with her was in his head that is just that more sad for Norman. If all this time he was only the nice but weird guy that came in her shop and occasionally watched her from the coffee place crossed the street.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

As soon as Romero saw Chick, I had a feeling Chick wasn't going to be long for this world, and the more he spoke, the more obvious it became.

Yup, when he kept babbling on and on towards the end and they weren't showing Romero, I just knew true to his nature, Romero would become irritated enough and just kill him. 

When at the beginning Greene said how she thinks Norman is making it all up, I was like 'so that's how they stretch the plot for last episodes'. 

The funny thing about that scene is that the Sheriff read Norman so perfectly, except for her suggestion that he was lying about killing Sam for attention. But she was spot on about the fake adult persona he was putting on to give the impression he was competent and knew what he was doing when in truth he's really just a sad and lonely kid. The part she missed was the totally batshit crazy part.

Insanity defense is pulled out for the slightest of things I would have pulled that out immediately.  Typically any allegation of insanity the def't is sent out for an examination and records are collected. With Norman's mental health history... everyone would have believed him

Mother didn't want to use the insanity defense and quickly let that be known as soon as she was left alone with the lawyer by making it clear that the woman was working for her, even if Dylan is the one footing the bill. I'm pretty sure the lawyer, especially based on what Dylan told her, was all set to use insanity. Mother though thought the lie about Madeline would suffice. She doesn't want the insanity plea because that means Norman goes to a mental hospital where he'll be medicated, which means she no longer exists. 

Last night while watching my hubs said, "Where is Dylan from season 1?"   This watered down version of Dylan is not nearly as satisfying or engaging to watch. 

Dylan of Season 1, who had no issues engaging in illegal activities would never talk to the police or trust them so YMMV but I actually think his attitude was consistent. I'm not saying it's not stupid and even irresponsible but I don't agree that it makes him a watered down version of who he was before. 

I really disliked that Dylan wouldn't tell the sheriff what he knew.  There's family loyalty, but there is also the idea of protecting innocent people from being killed by someone who had killed before.  If Norman were to be released, then, quite frankly, any future deaths would be on Dylan.

I just don't think Dylan trusts cops and definitely don't trust them to be sympathetic. In other words, I think he believes anything he says will be used to throw Norman in jail or worse try to get him the death penalty because the police will not believe anything other than Norman is an evil murderer. But Dylan keeps maintaining his belief that his brother is sick and so he wants him in a mental institution and not on death row. And he doesn't believe cooperating with the police will achieve that. Now I'm not saying he's right and he's not making a mistake in his choices but I do understand his rationale based on who the character is. 

My question is what is Mother's feelings towards Norma.  The real Norma.  Is Mother willing to throw Norma under the bus to protect Norman? 

My guess is yes. She didn't seem particularly interested or concerned when Norman was hinting at having to move real Norma's body and instead she just impatiently told him to get to it. So I don't doubt for a second that Mother would make Norma the fall back for most of the murders. Unfortunately that wouldn't work for Jim and Sam, who were both recently killed, well after Norma died.

I really thought for a long time that Romero would end up turning Norman in,

Really? Because I think it's been clear since last season's finale that Romero's intention is purely to kill Norman. If Romero wanted to turn Norman in, he would have spent his time in jail trying to build up the case against Norman, not send a hired hit man to kill him. 

Both Norman and Romero are effectively haunted by the same woman.  

Everyone was obsessed with Norma - Norman, Romero and Caleb. Hell even Dylan was obsessed in the sense of wanting her love and approval since she denied it to him for years. Of course two of those obsessions ended horribly for her. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

The show is now in a different universe than the Psycho universe, rather than a prequel. In the show, Marion Crane is alive (as far as we know), while Sam Loomis was killed by Norman as himself while Sam was in a shower. In the movie, Marion was killed in the shower by Norman in his "Mother" persona, while Sam Loomis was alive.  Norman being charged with three murders puts the show in a very different place than the movie. Although in the next couple episodes it could come round to a similar ending with Norman-as-Mother thinking he couldn't harm a fly and letting a fly crawl on his face, it still is just a different universe.

Hey speaking of the could not harm a fly thing did anybody catch a reference from the movie. It could be a coincidence but someone(I think it was the sheriff) said not to Norman directly but to someone else that he will feel eyes or people watching him. I wish I remember the exact words but do not. It was in reference to Norman being in his holding cell.

• Love 2

I think you're absolutely correct.

Dylan of Season 1, who had no issues engaging in illegal activities would never talk to the police or trust them so YMMV but I actually think his attitude was consistent.

Yep.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Stringey said:

Hey speaking of the could not harm a fly thing did anybody catch a reference from the movie. It could be a coincidence but someone(I think it was the sheriff) said not to Norman directly but to someone else that he will feel eyes or people watching him. I wish I remember the exact words but do not. It was in reference to Norman being in his holding cell.

I remember that, too, but I can't find it now. I did look at the transcript of the original Psycho movie, and found this part that may fit what you were thinking of:

"NORMAN (The coldness turning to tight fury) What do you mean about caring? Have you ever seen one of those places? Inside? Laughing and tears and cruel eyes studying you... and my mother there? Why? has she harmed you? She's as harmless as... one of these stuffed birds."

ETA: There's another even better part at the very end of the movie:

"MOTHER'S VOICE (V.O.) They're probably watching me. Well, let them. Let them see what kind of a person I am. (A pause, as the fly lights on Norman's hand) I'm not going to swat that fly. I hope they are watching. They'll see... they'll see... and they'll know... and they'll say... 'why, she wouldn't even harm a fly...'"

Psycho movie transcript

Edited by Complexity
  • Love 4

You know, it's almost a shame that this smart sheriff wasn't around from the beginning instead of Alex. Romero let Norma (and by extent, Norman) get away with a lot because of his moral ambiguity and his own feelings for her. Had this new sheriff been around when, say, Norma killed her rapist, Norman might have gone into foster care (or under Dylan's custody) and then his mental problems wouldn't have been swept under the rug and he would have gotten real help before he hurt anyone else.

• Love 2

Romero looked like walking death to me. I thought he was seriously end of life hallucinating Norma.  Guess I'll find out if he dies from his wound.

I can not believe this show is about to end.  How many TV shows have you watched that got progressively better for years? And coming down to the end stretch here, I can't miss 10 seconds of any episode.  Bates Motel is why I watch television.  I can't even imagine it being over for good.  It really feels like they could keep going and keep going and keep........."sniff".

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Complexity said:

I remember that, too, but I can't find it now. I did look at the transcript of the original Psycho movie, and found this part that may fit what you were thinking of:

"NORMAN (The coldness turning to tight fury) What do you mean about caring? Have you ever seen one of those places? Inside? Laughing and tears and cruel eyes studying you... and my mother there? Why? has she harmed you? She's as harmless as... one of these stuffed birds."

ETA: There's another even better part at the very end of the movie:

"MOTHER'S VOICE (V.O.) They're probably watching me. Well, let them. Let them see what kind of a person I am. (A pause, as the fly lights on Norman's hand) I'm not going to swat that fly. I hope they are watching. They'll see... they'll see... and they'll know... and they'll say... 'why, she wouldn't even harm a fly...'"

Psycho movie transcript

Yep this "They're probably watching me" is actually the phrase I was thinking of from the movie. You know I really hope we get some kind of ending like the movie but rebooted. Overall the same but with differences. But if it's not like that I hope the alternative is either as good or better. I hope nobody kills Norman and not because he wouldn't have it coming just somehow  it seems anticlimactic.  I know that sounds crazy me thinking someone killing Norman is anticlimactic. I want to see either him being locked up with a eternal conflict with Mother or somehow(by now I don't know though how this could be possible) he will live the rest of his life with Mother free but not really free in that house. If Norman does die I want him to do it by his own hand because it is the only way he can be again with the true Norma and be happy. Maybe he does this as himself or Mother convinces him to do it.

• Love 1