Type keyword(s) to search

S24.E05: Week 5: Disney Night

• Start Topic

So the order for  tonight is Rashad ,Nick,Erika ,Heather ,Bonner ,Normani ,David ,Nancy and Simone 

Nancy finally going in the last hour ! David and Simone still remain in the last hour 

7 minutes ago, Sstt said:

So the order for  tonight is Rashad ,Nick,Erika ,Heather ,Bonner ,Normani ,David ,Nancy and Simone 

Nancy finally going in the last hour ! David and Simone still remain in the last hour 

Good for Nancy! But I'm a little disappointed that Nick, once again, is in the first hour. He's been stuck in the first hour now for five weeks. And as someone who is kind of rooting for him to get farther than Erika, Bonner, and David, I'd like to see him later in the show at least once. 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Good for Nancy! But I'm a little disappointed that Nick, once again, is in the first hour. He's been stuck in the first hour now for five weeks. And as someone who is kind of rooting for him to get farther than Erika, Bonner, and David, I'd like to see him later in the show at least once. 

I think nick is the best male dancer ,it's sad he got peta as his partner .People aren't that hype about her this season 

Edited by Sstt
Grammar errors
  • Love 1

Nancy did go 8th during Week 3, but yes, I'm very glad she's in the second half this week.

While I don't particularly enjoy Nick's dancing, I really don't understand why he's been given no breaks by the show, while others like Erika and Bonner, who aren't great dancers or personalities, have.

Edited by calipiano81
  • Love 3

Rashad....love him, but he was overscored.  Part of the problem was the song was a tough one...but he also looked flat-footed and confused at times.

Nick's dance was fun.  Erika was better than last week, but those scores were too high.

7 minutes ago, blaase said:

Too bad Heather got Frozen. I am sick and tired of anything related to  Frozen. This was a missed opportunity to do Tangled ( or something else) instead.

I still think that was the best dance of the night so far.

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

This is the first time this season I'm watching the show live. I don't see the "All Access" link on the ABC website. Has ABC done away with All Access during the live show?

Yeah, All Access is gone. They've replaced it with (very) occasional Facebook Lives.

I knew Maks would fail Heather when it came to choreography. It was fun but there was no dance there. I hate agreeing with CA but she was right. I did enjoy it though.

Nick and PETA's Pinocchio dance was amazing. Favorite so far.

• Love 9

I'm so excited Donny Osmond is singing "I'll Make A Man Out Of You" from Mulan. It's arguably the best Disney song of all time.

I'm less excited Normani is dancing to it.

Nick and Peta might be my favorite of the night so far. Heather and Alan were good, but it was more like watching a live version of the musical instead of watching a jazz routine.

Looking forward to Artem and Nancy. (Is this the first Disney night Artem has done?) Everyone else I'm just eh on tonight. There were very few classic Disney songs to get me excited about tonight.

I'll have to watch the the intro dance again to pick out all the princesses and princes. I don't actually mind Alfonso, so I'm okay with it.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, McManda said:

I'm so excited Donny Osmond is singing "I'll Make A Man Out Of You" from Mulan. It's arguably the best Disney song of all time.

Be Prepared! ;)

IDK I can't really warm up to Normani.

• Love 2
Just now, vavera4ka said:

Be Prepared! ;)

IDK I can't really warm up to Normani.

Haha I will fight that fight. 

I also can't warm up to Normani. I'm not a fam and I don't think she's as perfect and special as everyone else on this board. But I can't deny that dance was pretty awesome (which is why I'm annoyed she was the one to dance it). Maybe she'll be the surprise boot like Sabrina Bryan.

13 minutes ago, McManda said:

Haha I will fight that fight. 

I also can't warm up to Normani. I'm not a fam and I don't think she's as perfect and special as everyone else on this board. But I can't deny that dance was pretty awesome (which is why I'm annoyed she was the one to dance it). Maybe she'll be the surprise boot like Sabrina Bryan.

I don't watch the show with the exception of the Disney Night so I am quite impartial to Normani, but I can't get beyond the fact that she killed that dance tonight. I usually watch The Voice which I will watch tomorrow on Hulu.

Seeing Bonner tonight in the opening it hit me all of a sudden who he looks like - DJ's once-boyfriend Viper from Jesse and The Rippers, from Full House.

Heather was so confident that she would do well in jazz (because that is the style she mostly does for a living) that watching her half-fail at it was nice. Lol. Carrie-Ann was right that there wasn't much dancing in it, so Heather did well at - being lifted and running from place to place. Heather's blasé "oh, I'm good at jazz" and Maks' "I didn't know which one was the celebrity and which one was the dancer" (regarding last week's dance) were both equally annoying. And I'm honestly kind of sad for Alan that he won't get to dance on the big show anymore. I'm not sure it's fair to bump Alan out now when it's halfway through the competition: so far Heather has danced with Maks only one week and Alan for the other four. I'm not sure that Maks should automatically get to come back to reclaim her.

• Love 15
6 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Seeing Bonner tonight in the opening it hit me all of a sudden who he looks like - DJ's once-boyfriend Viper from Jesse and The Rippers, from Full House.

Yeessss! That's it!

Nancy and Artem did a good job embodying Enchanted. I love that movie because it doesn't take its tropes seriously. Patrick Dempsey is the best in that movie, especially during that song.

• Love 6

Nancy looks really pretty with that auburn hair.

Speaking of, could Sharna choose another color out of the crayon box now?  Seeing her with that black wig highlighted how pretty she is, but with that neon red, all you see is her hair color.

• Love 6

NANCYYYY WAS GOOD and if she(simone) wanted a break..she shouldn't have done the show

I am sorry but why isn't there complain of a gymnast doing contemporary ...that's their speciality 

Edited by Sstt
add stuff
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, magpye29 said:

could Sharna choose another color out of the crayon box now?  Seeing her with that black wig highlighted how pretty she is, but with that neon red, all you see is her hair color.

My favorite Sharna look was when she partnered Andy Dick. She had this beautiful brunette hair that I always thought suited her and it was different enough from the sea of blondes so she stood out.

Nancy's dance wasn't better than Heather's though.  Nancy also stepped on her dress.  The were both fairly literal versions of the dances

The difference being, the Enchanted dance is more of a jazz routine than anything in Frozen. 

Edited by McManda
  • Love 3

That was a pretty floor routine. It's just too bad all I see when Simone performs is a different themed floor routine.

Auli'i Cravalho is amazing. She's only 16 and kept her composure and kept up the fantastic singing when she was beaned in the head performing that song at the Oscars. 

Boo no surprise boot this week. Wonder what play tptb wanted by putting Normani in jeopardy, especially if she's "killing it in votes" like people seem to think.

Bye Gleb, I probably won't miss you.

• Love 4

Well, the week of Disney. I love Disney, and this being my first year watching the entire season, I worry about how this night will go.

Oh, Alfonso Ribeiro. His season was the first season where I started watching some of the dance videos on Youtube, and got my interest piqued with the show. Cute opening number. I laughed at the camera cutting away from Erika just as she was about to mooch to it. 

Rashad and Emma- I couldn't help but laugh at their mirror bit in their package. I do have a soft spot for him. The show may be manipulating me to an extent, but I do think he's an improving dancer and I enjoy his personality. As for their dance, I guess it was nice. It had Foxtrot content from the little I know, but I'm not sure I loved the dance. I might have to watch it again. I agreed with the scores (not Julianne's, though. A nine was too high. Also, what in the world did she do with her hair?). 

I breathed in relief when Heather/Alan were announced to be safe. I hate that Bonner/Sharna are safe but Nick/Peta are still in danger. 

Nick and Peta- I have a secret enjoyment of Nick. He's getting better as a dancer, while others are just the same. I thought the dance was fun and actually good. He still looks nervous when he dances, as if he's afraid of messing up the moves, but he really is getting better at dancing. And Len actually gave some praise! It did absolutely put fear into his possible elimination at the end of the show, though. I smiled at the scores because they were well deserved.

Erika and Gleb- All I could think during the commercial before their package/dance (and then for every other commercial till the end) is how I need them to go before Nick/Peta. As for the package.....oh, look, tears. I'm feeling very critical of Erika right now because Nick's in danger and not Bonner. As soon as Gleb said they needed to do something different, I thought that maybe it won't be sexy. But then the first ten seconds had her mostly standing there, and then they kept moving after the song ended, so I wasn't that impressed. Overall, the dance is the best she's done and it showed her ability to do some dance. Too bad it's way too late. I thought the scores were fair.

Heather and Alan- ALAN! Yay! Every time he comes back to dance with Heather, I get happy. I think, at this point, it'll be better to keep him around, and I got the feeling during commercials that Maks may not be coming back. And then he showed up to choreograph, and then he "fired" Alan. So...damn. As for the dance, it was very lively and in character. But the dance was underwhelming. At least we can blame Maks for it, since he specifically stated that jazz was about character. This is NOT Heather's fault. She is more than capable of more than this, and I love that she also admitted that there wasn't a lot of dance; you can just tell that she was absolutely disappointed in the choice. Maks didn't deliver, plain and simple. Especially during a week of Disney but also a week of jazz for Heather. And I totally expected Carrie Ann to actually give Heather a 7 and I wouldn't have argued against it. And I really love Heather, but this was not a great week in terms of the actual dancing. 

Bonner and Sharna- I still don't get the hype about this guy. That being said, the scripted package might be the first time I smiled at the guy. And you know what? His dance was fun and he showed more personality. I do feel like I've been watching him do the same dance moves every week, though. Still, the best dance from him by far. It only took five weeks for him to have a great dance. I do love that Bruno continues to be critical of Bonner, though. Somebody has to. You know what? I might actually disagree with the score in the sense that he deserved a point or two HIGHER. I have a feeling this may be their only dance that I like. 

I was TOTALLY surprised that Normani/Val were in danger. Like, did her fans not vote last week, or did they intentionally put her there for ratings?

Normani and Val- So, yet again, their dance has a lot of spectacle. I do think it keeps distracting from her dancing in some way. It is starting to wane on me. She has strong moves and is a great dancer, so that's why I want no spectacle one week. I don't know if this is just Val's style, or if it's just Disney week that has spectacle as the main voting criteria. I know, I know. Disney Week is all about spectacle and I'm complaining about it on the wrong week. On the plus side, she danced to one of my favourite Disney songs and sung by Donny Osmond. And honestly, she did do a great job. I did laugh at Len keeping them from getting perfect scores, though. 

David and Lindsay- Well, I don't like the Cars series so my excitement for this dance is...pretty low. Yeah, the dance was...good. Once again, there apparently needed to be 10 seconds without David even dancing or on screen. However, there were some moments that David did hit. Not all of them, but some of them. I do get that his age requires the jive to not be as quick as someone like Normani. And at least it had jive aspects to this dance. So, it was good, solid, and his best dance. Well, now I guess it's obvious that the show is trying to get David as far as possible. I agree with the scores. 

Nancy and Artem- Oh, I LOVE their song for Disney Week! Such an underrated film and underrated song for the Disney collection! I guess I'm rooting for Nancy because I smiled throughout her dance, and thought she was just wonderful. God, I really want her in the finals. I love these two so much. Artem's pride at Nancy, in particular, is so nice to see. All 9s were good, although I really was hoping for a 10.

Simone and Sasha- Well, there's definitely some stress between these two, but I appreciate that their partnership isn't being portrayed as all smiles and rainbows. However, I'm still fine if she finishes fifth or sixth. That being said, their dance was pretty great. I guess contemporary allows Sasha to use more gymnastics to Simone's strengths. It was great overall. Plus, no cuts to just Auli'i and the dance did focus on their dance. I get why people may not like all the tumbles and gymnastic moves, but that IS Simone's strength and showing it off once this season to its max is fine. Good for them and their scores.

I think my heart was pumping really hard during the few seconds before the elimination. Thank god when it was Erika and Gleb. 

• Love 5

Disney night!  Where 5 minutes later I was humming "What would a little magic do?" and figured out that damn rodent got me good!

I actually sighed in relief that Nick was spared. I thought the dance was actually a bit messy at first, but then I realized "He's a puppet who just his strings, of course he would be flailing about at first!" I have to give it to him, he is willing to commit to it all.  

I skipped Erika when I had to clean the garage, but I don't have many complaints. The ones that really stood out was Nick and Normani.  Some like Nancy and Heather were fine, even though they blended into each other. 

• Love 2

I guess it was part of the Disney theme, but Julianne's outfit was distracting.

Rashad and Emma's foxtrot was lovely. He just looks like he's enjoying himself.

I really liked Nancy's dance tonight. Her joy in that dance was infectious.

I have to agree with Carrie-Ann (did I just type that): Normani and Val's dance was epic. I loved every second of it.

Erika's probably the right person to get voted off, though I did enjoy her dance tonight.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, McManda said:

Wonder what play tptb wanted by putting Normani in jeopardy, especially if she's "killing it in votes" like people seem to think.

Maybe she's not actually "killing it in votes".  The 5th Harmony audience may not necessarily translate to DWTS.   The competition among the women is fierce this season.

• Love 3

So. Nancy. I'm ready for her to go. It's not that she's not good, I enjoy her routines. I think she's a fair dancer and every performance is age appropriate, which is somewhat of a shocker for this show (not that she's old by any means). But I can't with the ball of anxiety and tears she becomes in every. single. package before she performs. And I no longer truly enjoy watching her because of it. Poor Artem having to put up with that. 

Also, an aside: I may be in the minority in this but I'm not a fan of the live posting during the show. I enjoy it during big finales of shows and whatnot but for a regular episode, it becomes a bit of a chore to scroll through and read one or two line posts about a dance that happened an hour ago. 

ETA: Someone should fire the director because I got really tired of shots of the "special guest" singers while people were dancing. We get it! Famous people singing! Guess what, this is a dancing show and there are famous people dancing and that's what I tune in to see. 

Edited by Callaphera
  • Love 9

I thought most of the scores were fair....except Rashad and Bonner's -- both a little higher than they deserved.  All right, same for Heather -- good but no content.

Have no clue if Normani was really in danger...or they are just trying to fight possible fan complacency.  

The right celebrity went home, IMO..

3 minutes ago, escape said:

Maybe she's not actually "killing it in votes".  The 5th Harmony audience may not necessarily translate to DWTS.   The competition among the women is fierce this season.

I really think they just wanted a shock value,  like we been expecting nancy and heather .rashad and Simone were at the top last week and she was in the middle,so it was more realistic for it to be her.

• Love 1

But I can't with the ball of anxiety and tears she becomes in every. single. package before she performs. And I no longer truly enjoy watching her because of it. Poor Artem having to put up with that. 

I think it's more that she's hard on herself as a former athlete that did do some sort of dance training that she's not picking it up as quickly.  But still less of a head case than Lea Thompson and certainly not a  "I'm just here because I need the money" snob that was Mischa Barton.  And Artem noted that she delivers when it counts so I think he's willing to "put up with that" because she's less likely to fall apart when she needs to. 

Side note: boy band vs girl group night next week!  I need some form of NKOTB, BSB, N Sync and Spice Girls, show.  Don't let me down. 

• Love 12

Boy was Rashad underscored tonight.    And I think David did a better job than his score indicated.

Nancy was good, but there was quite a bit a mucking around as Len says, but it was not mentioned.

Hopefully Bonner will be the next to go, or I would be happy with the Glee Pro.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, smiley13 said:

Boy was Rashad underscored tonight.    And I think David did a better job than his score indicated.

Nancy was good, but there was quite a bit a mucking around as Len says, but it was not mentioned.

Hopefully Bonner will be the next to go, or I would be happy with the Glee Pro.

I agree about David....thought it was his best dance so far and better than a few others who got higher scores.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, mtlchick said:

I think it's more that she's hard on herself as a former athlete that did do some sort of dance training that she's not picking it up as quickly.  But still less of a head case than Lea Thompson and certainly not a  "I'm just here because I need the money" snob that was Mischa Barton.  And Artem noted that she delivers when it counts so I think he's willing to "put up with that" because she's less likely to fall apart when she needs to. 

Side note: boy band vs girl group night next week!  I need some form of NKOTB, BSB, N Sync and Spice Girls, show.  Don't let me down. 

I don't disagree and I understand that. But at the same time, it takes my enjoyment out of it because she doesn't seem to enjoy the process from what they show us. I'm not the type of fan that's going to obsessively read blogs and follow people on Twitter and watch behind the scenes videos so I don't know. She could be a bouncy ball of sunshine fun in reality but when all they show us is her crying and working herself up about the routine and how she's not the spring chicken and how she's the new kid when she used to be the old pro, it doesn't resonate with me the way the producers no doubt intend ("Look at this woman! How strong she is! How she overcomes all and puts out a good to great routine!"). It's sad because the 90's kid in me wants to really really like her but instead, the packages just ruin it for me. 

And yes to the boy band/girl group night. It's like all of my 90's kid dreams come true. Bring on the NSYNC and Spice Girls and the 98 Degrees. Drew Lachey and Joey Fatone must need something to do. I hope the show brings them back. Can we have them instead of our yearly Pitbull appearance? Please?

• Love 2