Type keyword(s) to search

Home Town - General Discussion

• Start Topic

This episode number is Season 7, Episode 1 "The Heat of Laurel"

The Hollingsworth family raised 9 children in the house, and then a tree fell on the roof in a tornado, and they've been living with the daughter and her two sons in a small apartment ever since.     The entire town will be working on the house, or helping to pay for the house repair.   Ben and Erin say it's the worst house they've ever worked on.  They've been out of the house for over two years. 

It was 4 bed 1 bath 1300 sq ft.   They will clean up the yard, and landscape.  New wheelchair ramp, repaint and reside the house.   They want to make it 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, Give the mother a bigger kitchen, and a dining room big enough for everyone.  There will be a new zero entry shower, for the father, with a proper laundry room.     

The people helping with the demo are all past homeowners.   The Scruggs (were deciding between remodeling a new house, or staying in their current house), the architect with Zeus, and Carrie (from Lott Furniture and Buzzard's Roost)   There are vines growing inside the interior wall in the middle of the house. 

They visit the Laurel Veterans Museum.   The museum staff arranged to get  replacements for medals Mr. Hollingsworth earned serving in Vietnam, the originals were stolen. The mayor will work with Ben to build the new dinner table. 

So many people are helping to finish the house.   What a lovely project for such a lovely family.  

• Like 5
  • Love 2

A most beloved family in the neighborhood that has been displaced out of their falling down home for two years. Too bad it took them that long to decide to fix this house up for them. It looked great, but having the most beautiful house in the most rundown neighborhood will do nothing for the resale value. We got a glimpse of the real Laurel there if you look at the houses on either side. 
I hope the daughter and her sons are going to continue to live with the mother and father, because it really does not look like the elders can take care of one another. Besides the obvious, there is no way the mother is going to be able to reach some of the cabinets or do laundry. 
I don’t know if there was another possible option, but I hated that the wheelchair ramp cut off half of the driveway.  

• Like 4

Small observation: why did they not sand the porch swing before painting it?  I hope it was just a filming moment and the job was actually done properly off camera.

It was nice to see everyone come together to help the family.

• Like 1

They specified that the swing would be sanded before painting. And I’m glad they showed the other bath and bedrooms.

I’m sorry that it took two years to put this together. But I’m also saying that someone was chopping onions in here while I was watching.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Perhaps it took that long to get all the legal stuff taken care of - insurance if there was any, assurances that any benefits that the couple received would not be lessened because of the improvements to the house, stuff like that.  Also maybe they were doing fundraising the whole time or were just made aware of the need?

Still snickering about the one girl planting a tree in inappropriate shoes.  

Is it an election year?  The mayor sure has gotten a lot of face time recently...LOL!  He does seem like a sweet man.

• Like 1

I would have torn down the house and built one with the new floor plan. Erin kept saying she wanted to save the floor plan but they didn't. They rearranged most of the layout. Nothing looks the same anyway. The excuse that they already did the demo was ridiculous. They had to in order to find all the damage.

With 9 children a safer place for the parents to be an assisted living home with the payment split 9 ways.

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, retired watcher said:

With 9 children a safer place for the parents to be an assisted living home with the payment split 9 ways.

Even if each child was able to pay, 9 together might not cover what it would cost.

• Like 2

With their daughter and two grandsons living there, I'm sure they have the help they need. Getting parents to leave their home and move into an assisted living situation can be close to impossible (especially if they don't require continuous nursing care).

• Like 7
16 hours ago, retired watcher said:

I would have torn down the house and built one with the new floor plan. Erin kept saying she wanted to save the floor plan but they didn't. They rearranged most of the layout. Nothing looks the same anyway. The excuse that they already did the demo was ridiculous. They had to in order to find all the damage.

Yes. House looks nothing like the original, thank goodness. I can’t imagine the poverty of all those people in one home. It’s sad. The wife was being overly sentimental about keeping the home she lived in for so long but not logical as all that is the same is what? The beams? 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, retired watcher said:

I have personal experience with assisted living. Despite their fancy TV ads, and the promises they make to potential residents about services, many of them are barely functional. The staff are often unskilled and careless, or overworked and underpaid with lots of turnover, and corners are cut. Even the expensive dementia-care homes that cost $10,000 a month are lacking.

I mention this because assisted living is most definitely not a great alternative for many families and communities, even with long-term care insurance.

• Like 8

This family wanted to move back to their home.  Making the home more functional (or functionable as they say on Maine Cabin Masters) was an act of kindness...a blind, wheelchair-bound man is going to live in that house and that does require accommodations.  I seriously doubt they would have deleted a bedroom without the homeowners' permission.  They gave him a bathroom he could access with his wheelchair which was greatly needed if they are going to continue to live in that house.  The didn't want to live in an assisted living center or they would have already moved there.

Not all assisted living centers are bad.  My dad was in one and they were amazing.  It also helps that family and friends lived nearby and were able to drop in frequently - the more often family members are involved (or at least in my experience) the better the nursing home/assisted living center's care is.  

• Like 7

No spoilers here but I just watched this week’s episode on Discovery+ and I wanted to let you guys know that you need to have a box of tissues nearby when you watch it. More than a few tears were shed! Lovely home buyers and I’m very happy they found such a perfect home!

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Tonight's new episode "The Clock Starts Now"

A couple relocating to Laurel, Chance and Emily, after their car broke down in Laurel. They wanted cinnamon rolls, but the bakery was closed that day.  They took the car incident as a sign to move to Laurel.   They lived in Mandeville but wanted a new place to relocate after their daughter was born prematurely, and she died later that year.  Their previous house was destroyed by a hurricane. 

House 1-The Miller house, 3 bed 3 bath $155k, 1900 sq ft.   Erin's ideas to paint the house Navy, and relandscape the house are beautiful.    Inside there are original hardwoods, and the living room would be a fitting place for her grandmother's piano.   The kitchen will be relocated to the dining room, and dining would take over the kitchen.   The new kitchen would have tons of new cabinetry and an big island.   The house has a lot of additions.  The main bedroom and bath are big, but needs a new closet.  They have a place to play cornhole, and have fun on LSU gamedays.  Final price with renos $280k total. 

House 2-the Lott House (the Lotts were pharmacists at the hospital), 3 bed 3 bath $150k, 1700 sq ft, Lots of landscape would be removed, repaint the exterior, and fix drainage issues.   The living room has oak floors, that continue throughout the house.  They want to open a doorway into the den, from the living room.   The kitchen would stay in the same place, but be expanded.  Bathrrom isn't bad, needs a little updating.  When the couple see a ladybug, that reminds them of their daughter, Renee.  Back deck and yard are great, except deck flooring is rotten. All in budget is $280k. 

I just want to know who is cutting onions in here?    

Laurel has a path of decorated Christmas trees (the Prancer Path), by local townspeople to raise money for United Way.   

They bought the Lott House.  And want to be in by Christmas.   

Changing the door into a cased opening, from the living room is a wonderful change.   New deck flooring is wonderful.    Gameday for LSU will be spectacular.   David the tile man is putting in new tile, and the basket weave tile floor is lovely.   The drainage issues have damaged the bottom of the wall.   Ben's coffee table is beautiful.  The bead in the paneling in the kitchen, matches the cabinet doors.   I love the granite counter top pattern. The memory chest for Renee is so beautiful.  And everything was finished before Christmas!    A great effort by everyone.    

In my experience (I live in lower Alabama for 20 years total), and tornadoes often follow the same path, it's the geography.     I lived in a town that had a big tornado come through, and killed 8 people, but any subsequent tornado, or straight line winds came along the same path.    I would never buy a home that was ever impacted by a tornado, but one that was never touched, and didn't seem to be in a regular storm path, I would probably buy. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 7
  • Useful 1

Ben had a hard time with this as the couple's little girl was born on the same day as Mae...he couldn't even speak about their loss without choking up.  She was a beautiful baby.

• Like 4

Don’t understand why someone would move to a place notorious for tornadoes after they already had their house destroyed by a hurricane. The house was nice. The renovations were pretty except I don’t understand putting the stove so far away from the sink. 

It seemed to me that they were going to stay in the south one way or another (weren't they initially on their way to Florida?) so natural disasters were inevitable no matter where they stayed (is there any place that is immune from natural disasters?).  It seemed to me that the point was making a new start for themselves and Laurel was where they chose to go.  Probably didn't hurt that it is still relatively close to their families (at least a few of whom seemed to be in the Louisiana area).

• Like 3

Laurel is convenient - close to NOLA, beaches and the larger cities of Hattiesburg and Jackson. Honestly, I think the charming, renovated "downtown" is a big draw for people who want pretty shops to socialize in.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
8 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I haven't watched the show yet, but according to Dictionary.com, that's how it's pronounced.

autumnal

Erin was saying it like autumn-null, like two separate words.  I will give her the benefit of the doubt that she may have grown up hearing it said that way and assumed it was correct.  But yeah, the emphasis is on the second syllable, and it was a little jarring to me that either no one corrected her or she insisted that her version was correct.

• Like 2

I noticed that about her pronunciation of autumnal also.  There has been something off about her hair this whole season - and I'm sure it is a personal style choice but her hairstyle was so cute the first few seasons and now it just looks choppy...but again - her hair - she can wear it however she wants.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, RoxiP said:

There has been something off about her hair this whole season - and I'm sure it is a personal style choice but her hairstyle was so cute the first few seasons and now it just looks choppy...but again - her hair - she can wear it however she wants.

I always liked her short hairdo. It looks like she's letting it grow out and it's in an awkward stage.

• Like 5
15 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

I always liked her short hairdo. It looks like she's letting it grow out and it's in an awkward stage.

You are probably right - and she has a ton of hair so it isn't going to be a period of adjustment for her.

(edited)

New tonight "Wood, Brick and Clay" Season 7, episode 2. Harley is a graphic designer, a lifelong resident of Laurel, buying her first home.  She also does amazing pottery. Harley lost her mom in Dec. 2020, so she's close to her brother and stepdad.  She wants mid-century, wood, brick.  She wants to stay at $300k. 

House 1- Ingram House, in Laurel.  3300 sq ft 3 bed 4 bath, $200k list price. brick exterior. Put in mid-century doors, porch post squared.   House is cinder block with brick exterior.  You walk right into a wall. Erin wants to make the fireplace double side.  Every interior wall is cinder block.  The brick planter is bizarre.  kitchen is old, but interesting.  Erin will enlarge the kitchen, get rid of the planter.  Update the living room builtin to display pottery, and have a music area for her vinyl record collection. 

House 2-in Ellisville. the Jordan House, 4 bed 2 bath 2300 sq ft, $185k. brick exterior.   For the interior, change the front doors, and paint the shutters, fix the entry, enlarge the cased openings, make the current dining room a music room. Erin wants to open up between the kitchen/living room and the front of the house with a big cased opening, and tear out the strangely situated fireplace, currently right next to the kitchen breakfast bar, and move it to a better location, with an electric fireplace, and vault the ceiling in the former living room, and change the kitchen.  Total budget is $285k.   

Harley chooses house #2, the Jordan House, in Ellisville.  With the cinder block throughout the first house, I think Harley made a good decision picking the second house.  Ben, Josh, and Jim go to her mother's farm, her mom was Laurie, and meet Harley's grandfather, Mike.  

I love the house now.  I really love the built-ins shelves from the family farm trees.   The kitchen seemed really dark, until they added the granite counter tops.  I love the butcher block top to the kitchen work table. What a beautiful house.  The vault in the living room looks beautiful, and the way they fixed the entry is spectacular.   I like that Harley kept the brick floors.  The kitchen back splash tile is perfect. The music room is beautiful.  The arch on the wall looks so good with the sweetgum wood cabinet.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2
On 3/29/2023 at 7:51 PM, CruiseDiva said:

A center part is not flattering for Erin. Even if she’s letting her hair grow out, a good stylist could do something better for her.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

the way they fixed the entry is spectacular

Except the hall closet. Did it move (someplace I didn't see it)? Because unless she's going to put a coat rack up, wtf are the coats/sweaters/raincoats/umbrellas going? 

Will one of the four bedrooms be a studio? Four seems like a lot, unless she's going to make one of them a CLOSET.

• Like 2

They hated the cinderblocks but maybe there’s practical reason it was used, like storm proofing?

I was curious and also read 

“In Florida, where termites are widespread, this is of particular importance. Concrete block construction also requires less repair and maintenance because concrete is less susceptible to rot like wood or rust like steel.”

• Like 2
  • Useful 3

I thought that the homeowner loved the mid-century look. I didn't see anything mid-century about how the renovation turned out or the decor. It looked like the same old tired "modern farmhouse."  Erin kept mentioning that the house had a ton of light but that dark paint in the kitchen was off to me. 

• Like 3

I live in Florida and I will only live in a concrete block home (because of hurricanes). Laurel is in tornado alley. I would have chosen the concrete block home and paid extra for the drywall. So sad about her mother’s passing. I wondered if she died of Covid.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
(edited)
22 hours ago, 65mickey said:

I thought that the homeowner loved the mid-century look. I didn't see anything mid-century about how the renovation turned out or the decor. It looked like the same old tired "modern farmhouse."  Erin kept mentioning that the house had a ton of light but that dark paint in the kitchen was off to me. 

Yes, this couple does not really keep with holding onto the original details of the home. She was going to totally destroy the first house. It might have been ugly to some, the planters, the weird kitchen feature, etc. but I bet if you got Brett Waterman in there he would make it work without destroying the original craftsmanship.
I admit the house they did was beautiful but mid-century? not a chance and I guess we’ve run out of cheap houses in Laurel because of course you can have a beautiful house with $250,000 worth of renovations 

I didn’t know making pottery paid so well!  those pieces must be quite expensive.  

Edited by chediavolo
  • Like 2

I believe the homeowner is a graphic artist and throwing pottery is her hobby and side gig (if I remember correctly).  

Maybe mid-century referred to the age of the home and not the design...or at least not the design we think of as mid-century.  Those ranch-style homes were built mid-century - they just don't always have the lovely architectural detail of what I would want in a mid-century home (thinking Brady Bunch house...LOL!).  Of course at this point I would like a new build so I wouldn't have to fix anything for at least a year...LOL!

• Like 1
19 hours ago, RoxiP said:

Those ranch-style homes were built mid-century

I've noticed that realtors and designers slap the "mid-century" label on anything from that period, hoping to attract young buyers who think it's chic.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

I've noticed that realtors and designers slap the "mid-century" label on anything from that period, hoping to attract young buyers who think it's chic.

I lived in 2 MCM era houses growing up and neither was the design you think of.

(One of my least favorite things about House Hunters, is when they call a house Craftsman, or Mid-Century, or Victorian, and they're nothing resembling that architecture). 

"New-Stalgic Restoration " season 7, episode 4.   Three siblings wants a house in Laurel, so they have a place to stay when they visit their dad, instead of staying in hotels.  the Paulsons, Tommy, Jennifer, and Pam. 

House big enough for 20 to gather. $250k limit. 

House 1-Raymond House, next door to Jesse and Lauren, and Nell. house looks rough.   3 bed 2 bath 2000 sq ft $50k. Built around 1900.   Add a porch the way it used to have.  Reno estimate for exterior is over $50k.   Inside is full of peeling wallpaper, original trim and floors. Kitchen is hideoous.  rehab is $200k. 

House 2-country place, The Stringer House, 6 acres and a pond, 2 bed 2 bath for $165k, small update on the exterior is minimal, $10k. interior reno is $  . Interior isn't bad, update the lighting, gut the kitchen,   living room is huge.  For bedrooms Erin wants to convert the two car garage to two bedrooms, with twin beds,  with one larger bed in each of the two existing bedrooms.   $260k total with rehab. 

They pick House #1 in the city.  Ben and the other man putting the fringe tie backs from the curtains on their helmets look so funny. I love how easy Katie and Erin ripped the wall paper down.  The house has a lot of woodland pottery creatures outside.  I love the wrap around front and side porch, and the porch railing Ben made. It was so nice that there was an existing higher ceiling with intact molding.  I love Erin is getting a painting from Shelley Bolton, Pam and Jenny's oldest friend, and a fantastic artist.  I'm not a fan of wallpaper, but I like the dining and living room wallpapers.   The finished kitchen has so much storage, and I love the mesh inserts on the top cabinets.  I love that Ben's making an expandable dining table out of the Ole Miss basketball court.   The spinning table top to expand the table is genius.   I love Jesse and Lauren have baby Hank too.   The exterior is beautiful after the reno, and the porch is wonderful.   The turned out beautifully. 

How sad, their father passed away this year.    My condolences to the Paulson family. 

• Like 2

I liked what Ben and Erin did with the place. Hilariously, somebody asked when one of the kids would move into the house full-time. I hope this was done awhile ago and they got to spend time with their father.

But I have questions. They often don't show rooms they haven't renovated and they didn't show the bedrooms or bathrooms here--but, the rest of the house was uninhabitable, so how could those rooms be livable? And if they spent all that money on the wiring downstairs, what about upstairs? 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I bet they rewired everything, and just didn't say they did.   I bet the baths, and bedrooms were simply cosmetic changes, and nothing special for design, so they didn't show them.    I really loved the family, and I hope the home made it easier to visit with their dad before they lost him.    

• Like 2

I thought the episode I watched was the new one but it was the one CrazyinAlabama described.  The one I watched was one where much to Ben and Erin's "SHOCK" the homeowners didn't want to change the kitchen so they ended up putting that $25,000 to redoing the basement.  I've just started watching this show but for the first time both Ben and Erin got on my nerves with dumb jokes and what I felt was like filling the time.  The show was probably only 30 minutes if that on actually doing the house.

• Like 1

I see the father passed away. I was wondering about that. Why would you spend all that money to buy a home to visit your dad who is not going to be with you for very long? I think that’s a load of crap .  all these people just have money to burn. I don’t know I’m just getting tired of watching all these moneyed families who get what they want right away beautifully done.  when you get to be my age you become  sick of watching so many get.  ahead when you’re just going to  struggle till you die. I did not like this family at all. Some thing about them turned me off. I actually fast forwarded through the whole episode. Well either one is  going to move in there or they’re going to sell it now.  I’m sure they’ll make a profit. .

13 hours ago, abbyzenn said:

I thought the episode I watched was the new one but it was the one CrazyinAlabama described.  The one I watched was one where much to Ben and Erin's "SHOCK" the homeowners didn't want to change the kitchen so they ended up putting that $25,000 to redoing the basement.  I've just started watching this show but for the first time both Ben and Erin got on my nerves with dumb jokes and what I felt was like filling the time.  The show was probably only 30 minutes if that on actually doing the house.

They are country corn😆

• Like 1

Perhaps he was terminally I’ll or in failing health.  They may have felt it would be more comfortable, plus potentially more cost effective, to have a permanent dwelling while they visited (and possibly took shifts in helping with his care).  Hotels can get very expensive, especially when there are large families involved needing accommodation.  Hotels can also be cramped and uncomfortable.  Just speculation.  Now, if his estate needs to be dealt with, they still have a place to stay and store items.  Their kids can hang out with their friends’ kids, too.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Scatterbrained said:

Perhaps he was terminally I’ll or in failing health.  They may have felt it would be more comfortable, plus potentially more cost effective, to have a permanent dwelling while they visited (and possibly took shifts in helping with his care).  Hotels can get very expensive, especially when there are large families involved needing accommodation.  Hotels can also be cramped and uncomfortable.  Just speculation.  Now, if his estate needs to be dealt with, they still have a place to stay and store items.  Their kids can hang out with their friends’ kids, too.

Wouldn’t they have to stay with him if they were caring for him? Nope makes no sense that they spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on a home just to be near their father so they could help him.  Well, maybe they’ll rent it out now that’s why they have all those rooms with so many beds in them . The rich get richer.

Since they grew up in Laurel,  the family now has a (rotating) vacation home--or as someone said, somebody's moving back home. They could sell their present house and buy out the siblings;-) 

And up their homeowner's insurance to cover falling tree damage.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

Wouldn’t they have to stay with him if they were caring for him? Nope makes no sense that they spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on a home just to be near their father so they could help him.  Well, maybe they’ll rent it out now that’s why they have all those rooms with so many beds in them . The rich get richer.

that depends upon whether or not he had downsized.

• Like 1

Apparently their mother is also still alive from what I got from watching the show last night so they are also probably still going to be visiting her.  It may be having family in and out of the house is tiring for their parents and too chaotic when dad was still alive.  Maybe their mother is no longer capable of preparing large holiday meals for family gatherings and they want a place to gather.  For whatever reason I thought this house was lovely and it was nice to see a historical home that was literally rotting away brought back to life.

What other people are able to afford and what they do with their money doesn't bother me.

Edited by RoxiP
  • Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1