Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: Omaha

• Start Topic

One year after losing the presidency, Selina attempts to secure her legacy. Dan tries to ingratiate himself at his new job. Amy’s brash D.C.-style personality proves too much for her new co-workers. Written by Lew Morton; directed by David Mandel.

S6 promo:

• Love 1

I have to watch this show several times to get all of the lines.  Dan riling up Jonah with all of the shaving references and telling he looked like a penis was hysterical.  The faces that Gary made when Selena talked about running for President were priceless.  Amy talking like she was at the Whitehouse while helping Buddy run for office was such a callback to the horrible things this team says to each other.  I have missed this show so much.

Selena has to run for office.  She can bring the whole team back together.  After all, they can only do so much for AIDS and adult literacy.   

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Muffyn said:

Amy talking like she was at the Whitehouse while helping Buddy run for office was such a callback to the horrible things this team says to each other.

Team Meyer is just so toxic that they can't seem to function around regular people anymore. It is freakin' hilarious but also so so sad. I can't decide who is the most miserable out of all of them. Maybe Kent for having to stoop so low as to work for Jonah. 

And WTF, Amy is engaged to Buddy Calhoun?! That sex scene was so awkward, there's no way she'll go through with that wedding. My little shipper heart is holding out hope for Dan and Amy to finally give their relationship a go.

One thing that bothered me was that Selina seems to be living off of Catherine. I clearly remember Selina saying a few seasons ago that she was independently wealthy, so I don't understand why she's suddenly relying on a monthly check from Catherine, living with her and Marjorie, and flying coach. And where's her secret service detail?

Anyway, love this show and so happy to have it back. 

• Love 8

I will probably be in the minority but I thought it was spectacularly unfunny. Not a single laugh from me. I love this show but something felt wrong tonight. Too much Dan. I hate Dan. Less Dan. Everybody seemed really angry and unhappy. Selena was just mean and not in a funny way. The AIDS stuff was just stupid and Selena is not stupid. Oh and the ex-husband/grifter. I thought we were done with him. He's got no redeeming qualities and he isn't funny. Ben being all racist as hell at Uber was really awkward and mean. Ben is a great character - that scene just felt wrong for him. And Amy -- I LOVE Amy but tonight she reminded me of a kid who just learned some bad swear words and uses them all the time, even nonsensically. Don't get me wrong - I curse like a sailor, but not at work. It's stupid and ineffective. And there's not a hint of chemistry between the actors playing Buddy and Amy.

Maybe I'll try watching again tomorrow. Maybe I'll change my mind.

• Love 8

I will have to watch it again because I always miss things first time through.

yes, where was her secret service detail? I actually did some research (I googled it) and former Prez get SS for life.

she said her and Andrew mad their first million after age thirty. She's not VP because she has 50 million in the bank and this incredible ass. She said Andrew had the "crazy money". So yes, why are her and Andrew putting up with each other when they are both either broke and mooching off Catherine or they are both wealthy and tolerating.

• Love 2

And what happened to the beloved "Moni" (Andrew's girlfriend or fiancee?).

I think most of the characterizations were pretty on point--they've always been stupider than you'd expect and pretty mean, by and large. I do think some subtlety was missing. Selina full-out telling Catherine "I don't care what you want" seemed too blunt. That was always the implication of their every interaction but Selina was always careful not to say that in so many words--and especially now that she's living off Catherine, it seems like something she wouldn't do.

The biggest thing I couldn't buy though was Dan not realizing that if he made Jonah pop off on national TV that it'd be ratings gold and would secure his job rather than lose him his job. This guy has always been the master of angles and spin-- I couldn't believe he didn't think of this. 

And poor Amy. Lol. She always seemed the savviest/most competent of the bunch. I'm just glad she didn't actually marry Buddy, which is what I suspected at the end of last season.

Overall I'm just so glad this show is back. I hope we get a glimpse at Sue every once in a while too (even though she's with Laura Montez.) I do wonder how they'll continue to keep them all intersecting going forward.

• Love 4

OF COURSE Jonah has been milking his cancer for all it's worth and pretending he still has it! His speech against healthy lunches was so Jonah. Don't give kids apples! Give them sloppy joes and pizza bagels!

Buddy seems like a nice guy which I'm sure is what simultaneously fascinates and repulses Amy. I think the novelty of his niceness is going to wear off sooner rather than later. Their unsatisfactory sex life may speed that along.

Selina and her staff formed a dysfunctional pack, but they worked together well. Now that they're all separated, they're floundering as they try to work with other people.

• Love 4

Kent working for Jonah seems strange. I don't know how the salaries work, but how does Kent get paid? Working for the Prez then working for s congressman. He also worked for Prez Hughes and was talking down to Selina his first season.

have twins and a third, Mike should be exhausted and begging to get out of the house, I know I was.

my husband has alopecia and has no hair anywhere, no eyebrows etc (it started when he was about 45 he is fifty now. Anyway he looks like he is in chemo and I think he likes the attention of people thinking he's sick. At first some other Baseball parents elected man to actually ask him if he was sick. He's a jerk BTW. Another example, our daughter was on the Homecoming Court and the parents walk out on the field(and this is a town that shuts down on Friday nights) I tried to get him to get a nice but modern hat to where he wouldn't do it. I swear he just wanted people to think he's sick which is sick

• Love 3
10 hours ago, bunnyblue said:

One thing that bothered me was that Selina seems to be living off of Catherine. I clearly remember Selina saying a few seasons ago that she was independently wealthy,

8 hours ago, Stephanie1216 said:

She's not VP because she has 50 million in the bank and this incredible ass.

I despise it when the show ignores its own history. Selina living off Catherine's largess is extremely annoying when it has been well established how rich Selina is.

2 hours ago, taragel said:

I hope we get a glimpse at Sue every once in a while too

I read in a recap that the actress who portrays Sue, Sufe Bradshaw, had to take the year off for personal reasons.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, bunnyblue said:

Team Meyer is just so toxic that they can't seem to function around regular people anymore. It is freakin' hilarious but also so so sad. I can't decide who is the most miserable out of all of them. Maybe Kent for having to stoop so low as to work for Jonah. 

It was horrible yet hilarious seeing how terrible everyone's life was now that they'd all gone their separate ways. I feel really bad for Mike with that brat of an adopted daughter. And then his thinking he was finally getting a real job, only to learn Selina will pay him later. Some time. Maybe.

One thing that bothered me was that Selina seems to be living off of Catherine. I clearly remember Selina saying a few seasons ago that she was independently wealthy, so I don't understand why she's suddenly relying on a monthly check from Catherine, living with her and Marjorie, and flying coach. And where's her secret service detail?

In a couple of scenes you could see Secret Services guys walking behind her.

I don't remember anything of what Selina ever said about being wealthy, but maybe she was exaggerating or including her mother's wealth as her own, assuming she would get it when her mom died.  

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

OF COURSE Jonah has been milking his cancer for all it's worth and pretending he still has it! His speech against healthy lunches was so Jonah. Don't give kids apples! Give them sloppy joes and pizza bagels!

My favorite bit was that his head was cut off by the camera. Oh, and he was speaking to a practically empty House. Or is it Senate?

I love how together Catherine is in the beginning of the show. Beautiful, confident, poised. The the moment Selina says she's thinking of running for President? Catherine ugly-cries and reverts to her more familiar persona. 

I feel so bad for Gary. Selina ignores him, doesn't seem to need him. He's lost, without a purpose. Loved his reaction to, well, everything, but particularly Selina's intention of running for President. Wait. No, my favorite reaction of his was to Andrew and the lovey-doviness betw Andrew and Selina. Man, Andrew is so blatantly manipulating Selina. I wish she'd wake up.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, zibnchy said:

I will probably be in the minority but I thought it was spectacularly unfunny. Not a single laugh from me. I love this show but something felt wrong tonight. Too much Dan. I hate Dan. Less Dan. Everybody seemed really angry and unhappy. Selena was just mean and not in a funny way. The AIDS stuff was just stupid and Selena is not stupid. Oh and the ex-husband/grifter. I thought we were done with him. He's got no redeeming qualities and he isn't funny. Ben being all racist as hell at Uber was really awkward and mean. Ben is a great character - that scene just felt wrong for him. And Amy -- I LOVE Amy but tonight she reminded me of a kid who just learned some bad swear words and uses them all the time, even nonsensically. Don't get me wrong - I curse like a sailor, but not at work. It's stupid and ineffective. And there's not a hint of chemistry between the actors playing Buddy and Amy.

Maybe I'll try watching again tomorrow. Maybe I'll change my mind.

You're not alone, I didn't think it was all that funny either. The whole thing just seemed a lot more mean-spirited than it's ever been before, without the layer of humor underneath. I'm glad the show is back though and will be looking forward to seeing how the rest of the season plays out.

• Love 3

For me, this show was number one scripted 30-minute comedy on TV. Not so sure about that anymore. Hope that this is only the first episode finding its ground.

Yeah, I do not like it when a show forgets its own history. Selina was independently rich. She talked about personal expenses in the tunes of millions like it was nothing. Even if I am wrong, Selina was a Senator who then ran for VP. Did she do all those political campaigns on her mother's money? As well, Selina was a Senator, VPOTUS and POTUS. As bad as her brand is, it can not be that bad. Just look at Nixon.

Team Selina's shenanigans are funny if watched as 'behind the scene' so we can think that they are stuff that might have happened. Jonah - a U.S. Congressman - melts down crudely on national TV is not realistic at all and therefore not very funny.

Former U.S. Presidents get Secret Service protection for life. There is no way they will let an ex-POTUS strolls leisurely in mid-town Manhattan without being surrounded. As well, there is no way they let her flies commercial, in economy, without buffer with other passengers. If TPTB tries that for comedic effect, it does not work for me as it takes me away from the reality of a former POTUS.

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

You're not alone, I didn't think it was all that funny either. The whole thing just seemed a lot more mean-spirited than it's ever been before, without the layer of humor underneath. I'm glad the show is back though and will be looking forward to seeing how the rest of the season plays out.

Count me among the "not funny" group as well. I felt that last season had already moved towards mean-spirited and away from the sharp, clever humor of prior seasons. Incompetent, self-absorbed Selina is better (and, IMO, funnier) than bitter Selina. She has always been nasty but the others around her (especially Amy and Ben) were able to temper it...or, at the very least, make it tolerable. I don't like that her group has been split up but I suspect that something will draw them back together.

I never liked Catherine and am not wild about any plot that increases the focus on her.

This show has been incredibly entertaining over the years and, because of that, I will be watching to see how this season progresses.

Edited by Ellaria Sand
  • Love 5

I was lmao. 

So glad it's back. 

My favorite line was Ben's - “dumbass millennials too lazy to learn how to drive drunk.”  I know it's wrong in so many ways but it's so Ben. 

Andrew is so blatantly manipulating Selina. 

The way she is with Andrew reminds me of Elaine Benes, all anyone had to do is compliment Elaine and you could get her to do anything idiotic.  

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, Ellaria Sand said:

Count me among the "not funny" group as well. I felt that last season had already moved towards mean-spirited and away from the sharp, clever humor of prior seasons. Incompetent, self-absorbed Selina is better (and, IMO, funnier) than bitter Selina. She has always been nasty but the others around her (especially Amy and Ben) were able to temper it...or, at the very least, make it tolerable. I don't like that her group has been split up but I suspect that something will draw them back together.

I never liked Catherine and am not wild about any plot that increases the focus on her.

This show has been incredibly entertaining over the years and, because of that, I will be watching to see how this season progresses.

Edited 7 minutes ago by Ellaria Sand.

100% agree. I absolutely loved the first 4 seasons of Veep, watched each season many times and after last season it was like losing a great friendship.

I felt the subtly brilliant satire had turned to plain old mean & nasty. Many of the characters were simply reduced to one note versions of themselves, caricatures. Especially Gary and Amy. Previously I could love these characters in spite of themselves. Now that they are becoming more loathsome I'm sadly caring less and less. I'll keep watching just to see where it goes but no expectations for anything much different from last season.

http://www.vox.com/culture/2017/4/14/15247684/veep-season-6-review

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, Stella said:

100% agree. I absolutely loved the first 4 seasons of Veep, watched each season many times and after last season it was like losing a great friendship.

I felt the subtly brilliant satire had turned to plain old mean & nasty. Many of the characters were simply reduced to one note versions of themselves, caricatures. Especially Gary and Amy. Previously I could love these characters in spite of themselves. Now that they are becoming more loathsome I'm sadly caring less and less. I'll keep watching just to see where it goes but no expectations for anything much different from last season.

http://www.vox.com/culture/2017/4/14/15247684/veep-season-6-review

Agree completely and thanks for the link to the Vox review. It expresses the disappointment that I have been feeling with this show since last season.

• Love 1

I'll be cautiously optimistic that some better narrative develops. This was an inevitable "Where are they now" show, given how last season ended. And it felt a little disjointed having to touch on so many places. Though I think they managed to get everyone except Amy, Kent, and Jonah to interact with Selina. And Amy was the only one who was truly out on her own.

Richard was fantastic, if less adorably dumb, than in the past. When Andrew was proposing speaking engagements, "That's likely going to be an issue in the future." And when the specifics of the engagement (well, Specifics for Andrew), "Oh that will definitely be an issue"

Ben remains the beating heart of the show for me though. His honest confession to Selina that staging a Presidential run (and seeing through the Omaha ruse) was a raw moment, but still had his famous one-liners in the chamber. I want good things for Ben!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, teddysmom said:

My favorite line was Ben's - “dumbass millennials too lazy to learn how to drive drunk.”  I know it's wrong in so many ways but it's so Ben. 

Ageism is such a huge problem in Silicon Valley it's hard to imagine Ben getting in the door there in the first place, but the Uber scene was worth a little suspension of disbelief.

3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I don't remember anything of what Selina ever said about being wealthy, but maybe she was exaggerating or including her mother's wealth as her own, assuming she would get it when her mom died.  

My favorite bit was that his head was cut off by the camera. Oh, and he was speaking to a practically empty House. Or is it Senate?

I love how together Catherine is in the beginning of the show. Beautiful, confident, poised. The the moment Selina says she's thinking of running for President? Catherine ugly-cries and reverts to her more familiar persona. 

I feel so bad for Gary. Selina ignores him, doesn't seem to need him. He's lost, without a purpose. 

We don't know what happened in the "missing year" but is it possible Selina lost some serious money somehow? It sounded like she had a nervous breakdown at some point as well.

It's the House. FWIW, Newt Gingrich made his reputation as a "fighter" by making barn-burner speeches to an Empty House. (At that point C SPAN did not show House floor, just the speaker. I suspect they've fixed that since.

I really felt for Catherine in that scene. She thought all of that was safely behind her. I think Gary has a purpose, it seems like Selina would be lost and hopelessly lonely without him. She is the one without a purpose.

1 hour ago, Traveller519 said:

Ben remains the beating heart of the show for me though. His honest confession to Selina that staging a Presidential run (and seeing through the Omaha ruse) was a raw moment, but still had his famous one-liners in the chamber. I want good things for Ben!

I really liked that Ben was the one person who could get through to Selina that a run for President was not going to work. Would like to see Ben and Kent back together again.

Dan's strategy seemed a little weird. He was trying to get fired so Jane McCabe wouldn't ruin his career even worse than getting fired?

• Love 1

I was a little bummed at the return episode as well. I couldn't wait for the season to start, but the only thing I laughed at was Gary's reaction to Selina saying she wanted to run for president. It felt like Amy was trying way too hard to be acerbic and hip with all the swearing, when it normally feels pretty natural. I do hope Selina gets elected into some sort of political seat again where the team can be reunited. 

I really liked that Ben was the one person who could get through to Selina that a run for President was not going to work. Would like to see Ben and Kent back together again.

I get the feeling that by the end of the season, something will happen that will give Selina and the gang reason to believe she should run again.

Don't they have a couple more seasons left at least?  This is such an awards & ratings getter for HBO I would think they could do this til JLD gets tired of it. 

Ben, Kent, and Sue have hands down always been my favorite characters.

Yeah. I noticed that last season was much more mean-spirited, even from Gary and Mike (the least likely mean-spirited ones of the bunch). I did not like it much then. This episode was off to me partly because of that. The way that Selina is coming off as one Catherine insult away from being homeless is also bothering me. And when we first met Andrew, wasn't he simply a jerk and ladder climber? Somehow, by the end of last season and confirmed in this episode, he is a jerk, ladder climber, and mooch. I don't know. It just never seemed to me before the end of last season that Selina and Andrew needed money; although, they craved political power.

Back to Ben. Although he has always said some very blunt things and never been what one would call pc, he never struck me as someone who wanted to tell racial jokes either. I don't see the character as racist but the Uber scene did not fit his character at all.

• Love 3

I had to rewatch per usual. I did notice that last season in particular it was too jokey. Just a bunch of people saying one liners one after another. They only obvious one was Selina's joke about ingnoring a mans nipple. I liked the conversation with Marjorie's and Selina because Selina is pretending to be polite as best she can. Her and Gary are so close she doesn't even pretend with him anymore but her totally ignoring Gary after the Dan interview and dropping the backgammon board is too mean. The old Seinfeld writers always made Jerry pretty selfish but he was still likeable. Rachel Greene was spoiled but she had a good heart and loved her friends. Selina has to get back to that.

Ben was the only person Selina didn't treat badly and she would acually show him respect. Even last night she ignored her daughter sobbing but when Ben told her "no" she actually listened. She needs a few more characters around her like that.

Andrew was previously described as having "crazy money" so why is he hanging around her unless he is making money off her.  

$79,000 per month and she mentioned food stamps. Should have gotten more of a reaction from Richard and Gary.

Also, she's was and is too mean to Mike. Using his diary and not paying him. However, comparing his kids to dogs and ignoring their existence I think is funny. I have three kids that are in college and I now cannot stand kids or babies. I have no tolerance for them so those jokes I'm on board with. 

I finally saw the secret service. I liked notes regarding not having s motorcade or air  force one. What a let down for s first family to go from being treated like a King to a civilian. I suppose Richard is the new Amy because he has the cheapest salary for her to pay? And Gary is always going to be her personal assistant and isn't going anywhere which is why she treats him so badly.

9 hours ago, Enigma X said:

Ben, Kent, and Sue have hands down always been my favorite characters.

Yeah. I noticed that last season was much more mean-spirited, even from Gary and Mike (the least likely mean-spirited ones of the bunch). I did not like it much then. This episode was off to me partly because of that. The way that Selina is coming off as one Catherine insult away from being homeless is also bothering me. And when we first met Andrew, wasn't he simply a jerk and ladder climber? Somehow, by the end of last season and confirmed in this episode, he is a jerk, ladder climber, and mooch. I don't know. It just never seemed to me before the end of last season that Selina and Andrew needed money; although, they craved political power.

Back to Ben. Although he has always said some very blunt things and never been what one would call pc, he never struck me as someone who wanted to tell racial jokes either. I don't see the character as racist but the Uber scene did not fit his character at all.

I think if Ben said those jokes at Selina's staff they wouldn't have given it a second thought. But now he's in the real world and he has a different audience and I guess that was the point of that little scene.

• Love 1

Small moment that I also liked with Ben: when he stood up to give his part of the presentation and everyone turned away from him to the screen to watch a powerpoint that he of course didn't have. 

I hope everything's okay with Sufe Bradshaw. I'll miss her grounding presence. 

• Love 6
On 4/17/2017 at 11:16 PM, Milburn Stone said:

I enjoyed the mean-spiritedness of it all.

Even though Iannucci left the show, the nastiness actually reminds me of Iannucci's The Thick Of It, which was an incredibly mean show.

I did love "Ma'am, the Apollo was a soft pass," but my favourite was Jonah's line about how he grew so tall that his "stupid mom had to get a new car."

Jonah continuing to fake cancer after going into remission and bragging about getting pity handjobs out of it was so Jonah.

JLD's acting when Ben spells it out for her, particularly her eyes just before she chokes out "I was speaking hypothetically," was top-notch. So good.

Dan's attempt to sabotage his job blowing up in his own face sounds about right.

Everyone carefully pronouncing Laura with Spanish pronunciation "Laoora," even though she's not Hispanic and Montez is her married name, is hilarious.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Even though Iannucci left the show, the nastiness actually reminds me of Iannucci's The Thick Of It, which was an incredibly mean show.

I handle fundraising and communications for a small non-profit and I've fantasized about going the full Malcolm Tucker on someone more than once. My boss and I both worship Peter Capaldi.

I watched this episode of Veep and quite enjoyed it. Probably because I had just watched the Girls finale. Veep was as refreshing as a grapefruit and strychnine palate cleanser after a puling meal of stewed Millenials. (Sorry, that was the Malcolm-wannabe in me talking.)

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Jonah continuing to fake cancer after going into remission and bragging about getting pity handjobs out of it was so Jonah.

Love. Also, didn't he say "four and a half pity handjobs"? How honest of him not to round up to five.  

• Love 2

I'm struggling to remember who Buddy Calhoun is. I remember seeing him last season but I cannot for the life of me remember where he came from, how  long he's been around, what his job was, etc. 

1 hour ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Love. Also, didn't he say "four and a half pity handjobs"? How honest of him not to round up to five.  

What do you think Jonah considers to be half a handjob? Like he got some action but didn't get to the happy ending? Honestly Jonah seems the type to think that a girl bumping into him at Starbucks counts as some kind of action so that may skew his perspective on any kind of sexual contact. 

Heh, this seems like the time to reminisce about one of my all time favorite Jonah insults: Jolly Green Jizzface!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I'm struggling to remember who Buddy Calhoun is. I remember seeing him last season but I cannot for the life of me remember where he came from, how  long he's been around, what his job was, etc. 

He was a local politician from Nevada. Amy met him in the recount episode and then he comes back for the congressional ball and she leaves to sleep with him shortly after getting shut down by Dan. In the finale she said she'd taken a vacation and been in Nevada for 6 days or something and then later in that ep she had to "check on Buddy" and Selina said "You got a dog" and she said "No, he's my..." But got cut off. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Good gracious. I just watched "Big" three nights ago. Elizabeth Perkins is aging beautifully. 

Was EP in it?  Playing what part?  The only other part I can think of is the role Margaret Colin played, Dan's co-anchor (the gash and a half).

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 2

I think the original poster is mixing up Margaret Colin with Elizabeth Perkins. For what it's worth, both actresses are aging well. I just saw Independence Day: Resurgence on HBO a couple weeks ago and wondered why Colin's character wasn't in it and what became of her. Funny to see her showing up here now.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 5

Am I just that easily amused? Or did I just miss the show that much?

I thought it was hilarious!  Between the whole baby/dog mix up ("just put her down"), Dan's provocation of Jonah on-air ("a shave close to death"), Gary's reaction to her running again, and well, most things Richard says (the Apollo was a "soft pass"), I was legitimately laughing out loud.

20 hours ago, taragel said:

He was a local politician from Nevada. Amy met him in the recount episode and then he comes back for the congressional ball and she leaves to sleep with him shortly after getting shut down by Dan. In the finale she said she'd taken a vacation and been in Nevada for 6 days or something and then later in that ep she had to "check on Buddy" and Selina said "You got a dog" and she said "No, he's my..." But got cut off. 

Oh thank you for this.  I was struggling to remember who he was also! 

• Love 1

Well, I definitely felt some of the nuance was missing once Armando Ianucci left the show last season, and that's when people started commenting on it being "meaner." In that respect I don't think it's much different in tone than Season 5. It's just that the format, by necessity, is now drastically different, along with the dynamic between all the characters. People don't really have to suck up to Selina anymore and everyone is more or less off in their own little worlds. So the noted shift in tone that began last season is now compounded by a shift in dynamic. But I don't think it's any "meaner" than it was last season, and I still got several good laughs out of it.

• Love 2

This show was hard to watch because it seemed like a documentary on Hillary's life after her loss. Just a series of small insults over and over. And I loathe Hillary but it just seemed too on the nose for me.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, revbfc said:

Don't ex presidents get a hefty pension when they leave office?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Former_Presidents_Act

Yup, they do.

Selina saw her monthly allowance of $79,000.00, which according to Marjorie she had been regularly exceeding, as meager: "Sign me up for food stamps." That's $79,000.00 per month, which would work out to an annual allowance of close to a million.

I doubt an annual pension slightly exceeding $200,000 would make any difference to her. The $204,000 might be hefty to most people, but not to Selina.

This show was hard to watch because it seemed like a documentary on Hillary's life after her loss. Just a series of small insults over and over. And I loathe Hillary but it just seemed too on the nose for me.

To be fair to the writers, Selina's big defeat happened well before Hillary's, and I believe all of Season 6 was written before Hillary's election loss. Apparently, the writers talked to Mitt Romney to get insight on how politicians cope after a big loss.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 6

Selina saw her monthly allowance of $79,000.00, which according to Marjorie she had been regularly exceeding, as meager: "Sign me up for food stamps."

I wonder if she has to use that money to cover rent and expenses for her offices in the Bronx, and the salaries of her staff.

She would also receive a pension from when she was a Senator as well as from when she was Vice President.  While she might be outspending her pensions and allowance from Catherine, she certainly could be living nicely (oh, and $100,000 for one of the speeches...).  No longer will former presidents become bankrupt as had happened in the past.

I was taken out of it badly by Selina flying coach at the end, but overall I liked it a lot, and howled at Gary bending in to whisper, "Mike McClintock" when Mike walked in. The "mom" stuff with Marjorie was gold, Richard is a national treasure as usual, and the general theme of all these awful fish trying to swim in normal waters was just great. I was so curious where they'd go after last season.

That said, I think the problem with Ben's racist bullshit at Uber was a writer fail. Whereas it was easy with the rest of the gang to show how they couldn't function outside of the Washington fishbowl, the Ben business had to demonstrate how savvy old Ben was out of touch with glib young SV types. But they didn't do that. Instead of weaving offensive/insulting talk into language and alienating people, like Amy does (although the gross payoff with Buddy was pretty funny), or going full-tilt boogie against opponents to a frightening degree because it's second nature, he just sounded like a stupid drunk uncle being clueless, thinking he's funny. "I got the yellow fever." Jesus. That's shit Pops on the Goldbergs would say; he doesn't know any better. Ben does, and only deploys such crudity in the cause of something.

I had to look up Selina's adorable Eiffel Tower PJs. They are from Bedhead and only come in plus sizes right now, which makes me the saddest.

Has this show explained yet why Mike and Wendy wanted more kids, when Wendy already had two?

Or is it just implied that Mike wanted a kid of his own?  But then if he was also willing to adopt, then it didn't have to biologically be his.

How are Wendy's kids accommodating with the 3 new additions, in Ellen and the twins?

If these are things that will be discussed in later episodes, then just let me know that.  I've watched through this episode, so far.

Who was the guy Amy was with in season 2?  I thought that was Buddy.  He seemed like another guy that Amy was with, but didn't really want to be with.

I hope Amy and Dan don't end up together.  They would get bored with each other away from the office.