Type keyword(s) to search

Zach and Tori

• Start Topic

Just now, all4mom2 said:

Maybe you could explain what the heck Tori was going on about delaying it in order to avoid Jackson requiring two surgeries...  She lost me there!

Disclaimer - I'm not an orthopedic surgeon.  But from what I had picked up in my years working for one, there are two bones in the lower leg.  The tibia and the fibula (the fibula is a smaller bone). Each go the length from the ankle to the knee.  If the inner bone grows slower, then the outer bone will be longer and the inner bone shorter so the leg will curve inward (like a bowleg).  So the doctor stops the growth of the outer bone so that the inner bone will grow longer and "catch up" with the outer bone.  The growth of the outer bone is stopped at the end of the bone where the growth plates are.  

Here's a really good article about it.  https://www.hss.edu/condition-list_bowlegs.asp

Achondroplasia dwarfism is listed as one of the causes and correction before age four is preferred.  As the child gets older, it turns from a simple same day procedure, to one where they get this device where they have to turn a knob on a fixator each day and gradually extend the space a few millimeters each day to encourage bone growth. (I've seen this with older patients and it's way more involved and frankly, a pain in the butt).  Then after bone growth is finished, the fixator has to be removed.  So maybe that's why two surgeries. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

As the child gets older, it turns from a simple same day procedure, to one where they get this device where they have to turn a knob on a fixator each day and gradually extend the space a few millimeters each day to encourage bone growth.

I recall a segment on Dateline or 20/20 from years ago when they were featuring that exact procedure being used on older kids (teenagers) who were extremely short in stature (but not dwarfs).

They showed what you described (it stuck in my mind) and it looked excruciating!  As I recall, the purpose of the procedure was to allow these kids to be able to drive (without the aids Matt and Zach and Amy use) and reach 5 feet in stature.

I do remember that the kids being featured (I think there were 2) achieved that goal, but it took a LONG TIME! 

Good Luck to Jackson!!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Thanks ItsHelloPattiagain, thats a good explanation.

Just to be clear, this:

On 12/1/2021 at 2:31 PM, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

here are certain times where they have to do surgery that have to do with how the bones grow (bones don't grow from the middle - they grow from near the ends).  We have had children with very bowed legs and they actually "shut down" the growth plate on one side of the leg in order for the shorter side to continue to grow and catch up.  Obviously this has to be done in conjunction with measurements for both legs so that one leg doesn't grow much longer than the other leg and cause a leg length discrepancy which is another surgery.  The timing is crucial because if the growth plate shuts down on the shorter leg, it will never get longer, no matter what you do to the other side.  So I'm guessing it was coordinated carefully with the doctor, rather than having it done when somebody had some free time.  

What I get from this is that the parents can't snap their fingers when the child is 2 and say "Fix his bowed legs now, we demand surgery!" - this is something done on the doctor's recommendation and timing, not the parents, correct?

Just now, EllaWycliffe said:

What I get from this is that the parents can't snap their fingers when the child is 2 and say "Fix his bowed legs now, we demand surgery!" - this is something done on the doctor's recommendation and timing, not the parents, correct?

That's correct, particularly in a medically complex child like Jackson.  And it's not a quick fix either.  Bones grow slowly and progress is measured by x-ray over months (and sometimes years). Plus we don't know if Jackson has other medical problems that might influence when he can have the surgery done (like breathing problems or other skeletal issues that make it more difficult to do surgery). 

7 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

They showed what you described (it stuck in my mind) and it looked excruciating!  As I recall, the purpose of the procedure was to allow these kids to be able to drive (without the aids Matt and Zach and Amy use) and reach 5 feet in stature.

I remember seeing that 20/20 episode years ago.  I don't know if they do that anymore. Most of the kids that got the surgery  with the fixator at our practice were older and had severe Blount's disease. The family found it very difficult to keep up with.  Think of a person with a ladder-like fixator attached to the leg for months.  Those wounds need to be kept clean and free of infection (tweens and teens are dirty creatures). The parents have to keep up with doing the turns.  This isn't always easy and requires parental dedication daily for months and months. I remember one older girl didn't keep up with her turns and cleaning and her wounds got infected. She had to go back and have wound debridement (removal of dead tissue -another surgery) and they ended up having a visiting nurse coming a couple of times a week to make sure things got done correctly.  What teenage girl wants to be doing that from ages 15-16?

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

So it sounds like the longer it was delayed, the more likely the more complex procedure would become.  So why wait?

Obviously no one is suggesting they demand it before it was offered, but it sounded to me like it was offered, and they deferred.  But as always, YMMV.

I gather the breaking of the bones and being bedbound in casts for months as in Matt's case is no longer done, thank goodness.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

Obviously no one is suggesting they demand it before it was offered, but it sounded to me like it was offered, and they deferred.  But as always, YMMV.

I don't see where they were offered and refused. If the doctor says you can wait, or want to wait and see, then thats following doctor instruction. Sounds like the doctor was timing it as ItsHelloPattiagain says. Since we're not privy to private medical records and doctor discussions, there's no way to know if the surgery was offered and refused. Seems to me they are following medical recommendations and have Jackson being seen by medical professionals so I don't have concerns there. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Seems to me they are following medical recommendations and have Jackson being seen by medical professionals so I don't have concerns there. 

I don't know too many parents that are thrilled with their children having surgery (unless they have Munchausen by proxy).  I have a grandson who has had multiple surgeries and had some complex medical issues as well. He was treated at a children's hospital so all his medical problems were coordinated there.  I'm guessing Jackson, who has much more severe issues, would be treated at a children's hospital so all his consultants are working together.  Even something as simple as a cold can highjack plans for medical and surgical treatment. 

• Love 8

He seems pretty good.  So I imagine the surgery was not that big of a deal.  He is already back to work selling those Kiwico kits with Tori.  

Edited by Endora
  • Useful 2

Eh, its a nickname for a baby/young child. I have a perfectly lovely given name and it wasn't until I was 9 or so that I broke my family of their nickname for me. "Punky" or "Punk". 

My twin cousins had it worse - they were girls and called by the entire family "Peanut and Porky". 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

It's not a personal nickname that means anything.  It's yet another trend young mothers follow these days.  I know several "____ beans" who are not celebrities.

Also, what is with all the pics of the two kids dress identically?  I get that she's shilling for the company, but they're different genders and ages -- not twins...

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

Also, what is with all the pics of the two kids dress identically?  I get that she's shilling for the company, but they're different genders and ages -- not twins...

Ah the things this reminds me of. If only I could show you the 1970s poloraids of myself, my brother and my sister at 6,9, and 12 wearing matching "trucker" sweatshirts and plaid pants.  I mean, sure she's probably shilling but its been my experience that parents love to dress the kids in matching attire.

Weren't the Duggars and other large families prone to doing this as well?

• Love 3

There's no probably about it; the business is hashtagged in every pic.

The Duggars had their kids wear identical - or at least same-colored - clothing so they could be easily spotted in a crowd lest they get lost.

While Tori obviously aspires to 19 kids, that's not a problem with two.

Edited by all4mom2
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

There's no probably about it; the business is hashtagged in every pic.

Sure, but my point remains - its not unusual for parents to do the matching outfit thing. I assure you, my parents weren't monetizing the many photos they have of their three children in matchy matchy outfits. Some friends at the church I attend love to wear matching shirts with their son, and another couple dresses their two little girls - not twins - in adorable matching dresses and fairy wings. Parents do this. I assume it's hormonal ;)

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 12/6/2021 at 7:48 PM, EllaWycliffe said:

Some friends at the church I attend love to wear matching shirts with their son, and another couple dresses their two little girls - not twins - in adorable matching dresses and fairy wings. Parents do this. I assume it's hormonal ;)

Alyssa Bates has four daughters ranging in age from (approximately) ten months to six years old. She’s constantly dressing them in identical outfits. Just last night she posted an IG story with the girls wearing matching pajamas, and it wasn’t an ad. She does have a “sweet friend” she has probably met only twice who sends her outfits for the girls. Still, Alyssa also buys them matching clothes. It’s not my thing but it doesn’t bother me. It’s a mom is free to dress her kids as she wants thing. 

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

5CDA7F65-2A05-452C-B5B1-C52D13F4A8FF.jpeg

D40EFDCF-4BF3-4E92-9343-840393A736C3.jpeg

DFE9F340-F4BF-4D7A-B28D-1A11BE7EE1C5.jpeg

As lisa simpson said "so much sap i have to blow my nose with a pancake',Where do they get these quotes? And why share this crap? Get over yourselves, show some class-nope not this bunch.The whole family works for hallmark.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Endora said:

Who is Alyssa Bates?

The Bateses were another big fundie family and the Duggars' best friends who appeared occasionally on the show when the kids were growing up.  Since they were pretty well matched, it was assumed at least one Duggar child would marry one Bates child, but so for that hasn't happened.  The Bates family DID, however, get their own spin-off!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

sigh I just can't with those two. I hope those posts are one and done's as far as the faux intellect gushing.

So..are they going to raise this child as if they were living in Spain? Of course Jacob accented letter in his kid's name. Of course. And I am sure it is some obscure faux intellectual connection to deep deep stuff. 

My eyes see the name but my mind is playing tricks and I see a tomato word.

eta Oh my fricking gosh don't even get me started on Mama Juj! I just can't with these two dweebs.

Edited by stewedsquash
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, stewedsquash said:

these two dweebs.

Edited 1 hour ago by stewedsquash

that is too nice a term for these flaming assholes,whom 'they' think they way superior to us mere mortals.They require a swift kick in the teeth to bring them to earth.They are going to be worse parents ever.to hell with them and take the rest of the scamming  family shit heads with you. They are disgusting.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

don't even get me started on Mama Juj! I just can't with these two dweebs.

Does anyone know what the meaning (derivation) of that name "mama juj" is?  Are they "culturally appropriating" names and customs from other cultures none of which is authentic to either of them??  Is Isabel Hispanic???

I'm not "getting" where they're coming from but I'm seeing both of them as "pseudo" and "pretentious."

Maybe when people have no true accomplishments and/or intellectual depth they revert to expressing themselves in odd ways for "buzz" and "attention?"

Edited by pdlinda
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

sigh I just can't with those two. I hope those posts are one and done's as far as the faux intellect gushing.

So..are they going to raise this child as if they were living in Spain? Of course Jacob accented letter in his kid's name. Of course. And I am sure it is some obscure faux intellectual connection to deep deep stuff. 

My eyes see the name but my mind is playing tricks and I see a tomato word.

eta Oh my fricking gosh don't even get me started on Mama Juj! I just can't with these two dweebs.

Izzy's father's Chilean, so by extension she is, too.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

Does anyone know how long Tori was a teacher?  

Two possibly three years for Tory. 

13 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

Also, does Zach still do his part-time soccer coaching?

This apparently ended a while ago. The whole soccer thing seems to have died although I do think it will be resurrected if Jackson is interested in playing. 

• Love 2
On 12/13/2021 at 7:57 AM, all4mom2 said:

Maybe it's a fundie thing; Tori is friends with Jill Duggar (not sure about the Bates girls).

77932098-A185-4722-9FEF-98B0DCC5DD5C.thumb.jpeg.beb692f3a7f810dbee8daf857fa70511.jpeg

Just now, SMama said:

77932098-A185-4722-9FEF-98B0DCC5DD5C.thumb.jpeg.beb692f3a7f810dbee8daf857fa70511.jpeg

Sorry, couldn’t add text above. Alyssa posted just yesterday. 

Edited by SMama
  • Love 2

I really wonder if T was an actual teacher vs support staff. Or a teacher in a private / Christian school. These people work very hard, but I just don't see her having the chops to be a public school teacher. It is often very hard to get a public school teacher job right out of college, so many work as an aide (paraprofessional) or teach in a private school for a year or two to get the experience. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, seasons said:

I really wonder if T was an actual teacher vs support staff. Or a teacher in a private / Christian school. These people work very hard, but I just don't see her having the chops to be a public school teacher. It is often very hard to get a public school teacher job right out of college, so many work as an aide (paraprofessional) or teach in a private school for a year or two to get the experience. 

https://soapdirt.com/little-people-big-world-tori-roloff-five-surprising-things-about-zach-roloff-s-wife/

She was an actual teacher. She graduated from Washington State University with a degree in Elementary Education. She worked at Woodland Primary as a kindergarten teacher from 2013 to 2015 and then at Beaverton School district from 2015-2017. They're both public schools. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1