Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E16: Turn Back The Clock

• Start Topic

Gawd, Steve's half-brothers, I thought we were still a season or two away from having to deal with them.  I can't remember, is this before or after "Malibu Shores" and Randy Spelling's turn as Flipper?

I'm glad Susan brought up Kelly during her fight with Brandon given how self-congratulatory he was about not cheating on Susan with her and how annoyed he got about her being justifiably irked about their Thanksgiving overnight hang.

The coke is now in Kelly's possession...WE'RE SO CLOSE TO COKE!KELLY!!!

• Love 3
(edited)

Just to note about college newspaper columnists being paid being ridiculous... I went to a big 10 school and was paid to play in the women's basketball band. Both rehearsals and games. We were also outfitted by Nike head to toe. Did not get paid to play at men's games. I guess the thrill of watching them play was enough...

Edited by allicatexp
Don't know why that video got tacked on... Can mods removes it?
7 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I can't remember, is this before or after "Malibu Shores" and Randy Spelling's turn as Flipper?

This is right before, like six months before, Malibu Shores, my favorite one season Aaron Spelling show (well, tied with Models, Inc.). And of course on that show average-looking, if I'm being generous, Randy Spelling got paired up with the gorgeous Charisma Carpenter.

I just remembered, is this the same season Kelly gets SWF-ed by Tara? I keep thinking that her going to rehab is the end of the season, but IIRC she meets Tara in rehab and then there are like 5 episodes with Tara after she and Kelly leave rehab.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think I watched all of "Malibu Shores" too lol!

Yup, Single White Tara is right after Coke!Kelly.  And Ginger's "Indecent Proposal" return is also mixed in here somewhere, I believe.  I don't think the show ever gets this soapy again so I'm gonna eat it up.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 2

Good lord, why do these people just assume Val is into cocaine? She has not ever given any signs that she would bother with it. She is far more responsible than any of these other fools. She smokes weed to relax. Nothing about her says "cokehead". Not even when she was hanging out with Dylan. FIND NEW FRIENDS VAL.

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, ZeroDiscipline said:

Good lord, why do these people just assume Val is into cocaine? She has not ever given any signs that she would bother with it. She is far more responsible than any of these other fools. She smokes weed to relax. Nothing about her says "cokehead". Not even when she was hanging out with Dylan. FIND NEW FRIENDS VAL.

Seriously. And again, why was Kelly all "Did you get high with Val/Did Val give you the coke?" She's not fucking dating Val, it's none of her business if Val was into coke - she just wanted something else to berate Val about. Well, joke's (soon to be) on you Coke!Kelly! And Val was especially gorgeous in the PPAD scenes (even with the odd half up do)... She's just beautiful, period and say, it again with me, SHE OWNS A NIGHTCLUB... in what universe would someone who looks like Val have to scrounge around for friends? Oh yea, SpellingLand. GMAFB.

I'm with Tara. I hate that fucking Bird. Nice present, Joe. She has it for exactly one week before she loses it and it is given away. And exactly what did you expect her to do? Blow off the Rose Court just because YOU got her a stupid Christmas present? That's on you, jones.

And I don't see why they keep building up to "the thing between" Susan and Jonathan. 

Spoiler

She had an abortion, they didn't kill someone and hide the body together.  Nor did they run a call girl ring out of the Condor offices. Ease up.

Maybe we can do a 5 ways the girls of the NIner can do better... Colin is such a loser, for real. And let's not even talk about Stupid Brandon.

• Love 1

I noticed that Randy Spelling is wearing a West Beverly t-shirt in one photo. Were they considering a "90210: The New Class" at this time? Interesting timing that Steve's younger brothers and Kelly's younger sister just pop up out of nowhere this season.

• Love 1

Susan is being a shithead in this episode. But she's right about one thing: Brandon hangs out with his ex all the time and Susan is expected to deal with that, so Brandon could have tried to be a little more relaxed when Jonathan rolled in. But still, not cool Susan.
I think it is just now, a little more than 20 years later, that I realize that the whole Rose Court thing actually exists - so I was definitely not one of the millions of viewers worldwide who watched that. Sorry, Donna.
Why does anybody like Colin? Why is Kelly still dating him? Why does Val consider him a friend? They have spent no time on making him a relatable or likable character.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ZeroDiscipline said:

Kelly and Donna and matching the lipstick to their clothes. It's as if Express sold lipsticks from the same color batch as the dye used on the fabric for those shirts.

I scrolled back up to see this and it's not only true of that shot of the two of them - Donna's also wearing matching lipstick to her rose court dress, and Val's lips are the same colour as that red top. Kelly's somehow even found a shade of lipstick somewhat close to that mushroom mom-suit. Was this a thing in the 90s?

• Love 1
  2 hours ago, ZeroDiscipline said:

Kelly and Donna and matching the lipstick to their clothes. It's as if Express sold lipsticks from the same color batch as the dye used on the fabric for those shirts.

I scrolled back up to see this and it's not only true of that shot of the two of them - Donna's also wearing matching lipstick to her rose court dress, and Val's lips are the same colour as that red top. Kelly's somehow even found a shade of lipstick somewhat close to that mushroom mom-suit. Was this a thing in the 90s?

I only remember the nude lipstick, brown lipstick and the darker brown outline (Claire first photo)
But I remember wearing them all...

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MissEwa said:

Yes, alas. Especially among the trendy. 

Purely as a voice on a podcast, Dave sounds much, much taller than Brandon Walsh. 

Susan is being a pain in this episode but, just based on the clips, and the visual aids, Brandon is completely tone-deaf. She just seems so miserable I think it'd be clear to anyone paying the least bit of attention that she wasn't out having a great time with her ex. And +1 to her being justified in pointing out that she's just meant to accept Kelly's presence in Brandon's life. Ugh. He's awful. She should run. Far, far, away.

• Love 2
(edited)
19 hours ago, Klaw said:

And again, why was Kelly all "Did you get high with Val/Did Val give you the coke?" She's not fucking dating Val, it's none of her business if Val was into coke - she just wanted something else to berate Val about.

And she was a bigger Bitch About It re: Valerie than the fact that her boyfriend - who she already busted giving a cougar the D for art supplies - has broken a promise to her he made, like, three days prior about his drug use.  Shut up, Kelly. 

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 4

Two things I wish happened in this episode: a hawk sinking its talons into the dumbass bird RIGHT after they spot it and get excited, and Val throwing Colin out of the club where he can have a meeting with Furio Giunta. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, MissEwa said:

Man those suits in this season -- long sleeves, short sleeves, pants, mini. Did the wardrobe dept cut a deal with some aspiring designer ala "give us your merchandise for free and we'll use it on the show"? Terrible.

(edited)
On 4/3/2017 at 7:47 AM, MerBearStare said:

This is right before, like six months before, Malibu Shores, my favorite one season Aaron Spelling show (well, tied with Models, Inc.). And of course on that show average-looking, if I'm being generous, Randy Spelling got paired up with the gorgeous Charisma Carpenter.

I just remembered, is this the same season Kelly gets SWF-ed by Tara? I keep thinking that her going to rehab is the end of the season, but IIRC she meets Tara in rehab and then there are like 5 episodes with Tara after she and Kelly leave rehab.

Man, I  was such a fan of Malibu Shores.  But then again, I was head over heals in love with Tony Lucca and equally as in love with Keri Russel's hair!

Yup, rehab and Tara are in this season.  Unfortunately, this time around, I was rooting for Tara to take Kelly out.

Edited by luckyroll3
40 minutes ago, luckyroll3 said:

Yup, rehab and Tara are in this season.  Unfortunately, this time around, I was rooting for Tara to take out.

There are SO MANY screenshots of Tara Streetchild on my phone. I am so ready for the second half of S6 I'm bouncing in my seat a little just thinking about it.

• Love 3

I feel like Brandon while a dumbass, somehow gets the whole "We're connected in ways you don't understand" quite a lot. Also Susan, surely he (Jonathan) has issues if he can't find a date or find someone to go with to be more subtle. Susan enabling and Brandon is a dumbass too.

Kelly is the worst. Steve's brothers are bad, David playing 2nd fiddle to Colin when it comes to Valerie and geez Kelly. Like you knew he takes drugs and questioned him several times about this while he had a cougar giving him art supplies or something. Why?

Why is Colin important? Why?

But we get Coke Kelly. Yay!!!

This was a few years later when I started the "working world", but the suits at the time were those mini skirts with a blazer combo.  You'd even see them in the juniors section.  I think they were part of the Ally McBeal phase of my life.  I remember several skirts from express that were super short with a slit (WTF!?) that I wore at a law firm I worked at.  I was always waiting for my manager to say something to me. 

Now, the mumsy pant suit things that look like they come from QVC, I really don't get at all. 

As for lipstick matching- I think that was a thing. I had a Color Me Beautiful book (yes, I'm a totally dork), that had these recipes for what color blush/lipstick you should wear depending on your outfit.  Thank goodness that doesn't exist anymore.

Does Kelly get Coked up next episode?

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, CurlyATX said:

his was a few years later when I started the "working world", but the suits at the time were those mini skirts with a blazer combo.  You'd even see them in the juniors section.  I think they were part of the Ally McBeal phase of my life.  I remember several skirts from express that were super short with a slit (WTF!?) that I wore at a law firm I worked at.  I was always waiting for my manager to say something to me. 

I am the same age as the gang and worked at a consulting firm during college.  I had a bunch of those same suits and thought I was so trendy.  I wore them to my college classes too because I went straight from school to work in the afternoons.  

• Love 3

Re: the Rose parade. While the statistic they give is ridiculous, that parade is pretty cool and I watch it every year. All the floats have to be covered with flowers and plants and it's neat to see what they come up with.

If Joe really wanted to give her a bird why not start with a parakeet or something and not one that might outlive Donna?!

Pets usually don't have a good follow through on this show. Kelly's dog from early season 1 was never to be seen again, Donna's bird gets donated, Kelly's goldfish were murdered, Rocky died of cancer, Rocky 2...wait, what happened with Rocky 2? Any more I'm forgetting? Oh yeah, Trouble the cat got stuffed into a carrier and had to ride on the back of Dylan's motorcycle for who knows how long.

• Love 1
(edited)

My first grown up job interview suit was inspired by Scully's in The first X Files movie with the belted jacket, since I do not have the legs for minis. Of course mine was cheap polyester and hers was probably Armani or something.

The girls wore a ton of those Ally McBeal suits later in the show. I definitely remember lots of pastel Easter egg colors, maybe coordinated with Hard Candy nail polish?

IMG_0631.JPG

Edited by MCMLXXVII
  • Love 1
(edited)

My first grown up job interview suit was inspired by Scully's in The first X Files movie with the belted jacket, since I do not have the legs for minis.

Good thing you emulated Scully from the movie, because some of her lewks in the first few seasons make Kelly's suits look chic by comparison.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, desertflower said:

Rocky 2...wait, what happened with Rocky 2

Rocky 2 got pawned off to the Donna's parents. We saw her walk him once when her and Ray were a'courting...

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Sarah D. Bunting said:

She paired them with Ohhhhhndrea's white tights, that wasn't helping.

I must shamefully admit that white pantyhose/tights were my go-to back then.  My office overlooked the length of my skirts, but demanded I wear pantyhose and closed toe shoes.

• Love 1