Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: Marvin & Austin

After months of sexting with a hot model he met on a hookup app, Marvin is eager to meet him in person. Max and sidekick, singer Chantal Claret, agree to help Marvin find his crush, but soon uncover more than they bargained for.

I've driven through Joplin, MO many times. It is many things, but a hub of fashion modeling isn't one of them. It is, however, home of the Precious Moments Museum and Chapel, which is one of the most surreal, absurd places I've ever visited, and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for their mind to be blown.

• Love 4

3 of them? There were 3 of them joined up to catfish one guy? These 3 seriously need to get a life. When Kurt tried to blame Marvin for what happened, I wanted to smack him until he cried, what an asshole.

• Love 11

These are three heinous bitches.  I thought Kurt was the only halfway decent one.  That dark haired bastard and the beard were just out to fuck with people and that's how they raise their self-esteem.  I would kick that dark haired guy in the balls if I ever see him.  The bitch is just plain crazy.  I think both the brother and sister were in love with Marvin.  

• Love 2

The dark haired catfish, Jason I think it was, that was like "did you really think he was real?" did have a point IJS lol. The level of delusion on this show never ceases to amaze. Marvin was a nice looking kid but come on bruh...a model who's surrounded by beautiful people is checking for you...and lives in Joplin, MO?! 

I pretty much have this same reaction to almost every episode and yet I still watch. 

Any Project Runway fans here think Jason looked a lot like Alex from season 15?

• Love 3
11 hours ago, GaT said:

When Kurt tried to blame Marvin for what happened, I wanted to smack him until he cried, what an asshole.

Absolutely. The entire point of their operation was to sucker people in, so they would have been telling Marvin whatever he needed to hear to allay his suspicions. Still, it was only three months between when Marvin first connected with this bunch and filming, so he may not have been as gullible as we're supposed to see him, as much as being a little quick with the dick pix. This was a good episode not to have Nev around, freeing Max to be a little less nice. I liked Chantal, but it didn't look like she got much direction.

I feel bad that Marvin is practically in their neighborhood so he probably has the chance to see them a lot =/ 

Did they ever say the age difference between Marvin and the other 3? He looked close to 18 and they just looked old... which made it super pitiful.  They were preying on a child basically. 

• Love 1

Myles Sexton sounds like a made-up name. I kept thinking that "Myles Sextin'" would be a great alternative spelling for this episode.

Also, those hashtags were out of control. Coming up with all those for every post seems exhausting.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:
18 hours ago, GaT said:

When Kurt tried to blame Marvin for what happened, I wanted to smack him until he cried, what an asshole.

Absolutely. The entire point of their operation was to sucker people in, so they would have been telling Marvin whatever he needed to hear to allay his suspicions. Still, it was only three months between when Marvin first connected with this bunch and filming, so he may not have been as gullible as we're supposed to see him, as much as being a little quick with the dick pix. This was a good episode not to have Nev around, freeing Max to be a little less nice. I liked Chantal, but it didn't look like she got much direction.

The hypocrisy of these three dirtbags was breathtaking. These self-appointed guardians of internet morality were on a mission to expose and punish "cheaters"? And Marvin was just unavoidable "collateral damage"? Bitches, please.

• Love 6

Marvin is cute, too bad there probably isn't a huge gay community in Joplin. Those losers who fucked with him 'for the lulz' were super full of shit, and probably jealous.

• Love 3

The only winner here was Woody, who was not only vindicated of our suspicions, but also got a free plug for his salon. Fortunately, the producers blurred his FB profile pic, which I assume was a pic of Woody from Toy Story - so his use of copyrighted material won't prompt a cease & desist from the suits at Disney.

Edited by AV8n
  • Love 4
On 3/30/2017 at 1:00 PM, gunderda said:

Did they ever say the age difference between Marvin and the other 3? He looked close to 18 and they just looked old... which made it super pitiful.

No, but a little googling puts Kurt at 26 and Kylea at 24, which looks about right to me (maybe their weight is throwing you off). Marvin was 22 when this was filmed. I think you're still right about it being super pitiful.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, AV8n said:

The only winner here was Woody, who was not only vindicated of our suspicions, but also got a free plug for his salon. Fortunately, the producers blurred his FB profile pic, which I assume was a pic of Woody from Toy Story - so his use of copyrighted material won't prompt a cease & desist from the suits at Disney.

Ah, that never occurred to me, but I bet you're right!

from the recap:  Marvin, who's just completed two years of National Guard training and now lives in Joplin, MO. Okay, I already have questions. Two years of National Guard training? Google "national guard training" and on the page of results it says National Guard boot camp is ten weeks. Was Marvin doing it that long because he's a National Guard instructor? He's twenty-two, which seems young for that to be the case. Did he just fail the course eleven times before he passed it? (Based on his intelligence as displayed in this episode: maybe.) Spoiler alert: none of this gets clarified in the episode.

While Marvin did not seem like the sharpest pencil in the drawer I wonder if he wasn't doing his training on weekends rather than all at once.

I don't think they meant Bootcamp.  They do continuous "training" and "drills" long after bootcamp.  I had a boyfriend who was in the National Guard while in HS (he was 18).  They do tons of drills and trainings and then once a year they do two full weeks of... stuff.  During natural disasters and stuff they get called in to work.  So, maybe they just meant he completed a two-year contract and he's done?

I'm much more familiar with active-duty military, but that's the gist of how I understand the National Guard.

• Love 1
On 3/30/2017 at 9:33 AM, Negritude said:

The dark haired catfish, Jason I think it was, that was like "did you really think he was real?" did have a point IJS lol. The level of delusion on this show never ceases to amaze. Marvin was a nice looking kid but come on bruh...a model who's surrounded by beautiful people is checking for you...and lives in Joplin, MO?!

Does anybody else...not think it's that crazy to believe there are "models" living in small-to-medium cities all over America?  I mean, if this person is claiming to be a high-fashion model with a successful runway career, yes, be skeptical.  But plenty of people just model for artsy Instagram likebait photos (like Myles' antler and naked-near-a-lake shots), and that happens all over the place. 

• Love 6
On 3/30/2017 at 0:16 AM, Misslindsey said:

Well I for one would love if Max hosted Catfish with Cookie Monster.

I work for Sesame Street! I am actually filming with Cookie Monster right now! I am trying to make this happen to get them together ! I would be so excited if we can get this to work ! I was pumped when I heard this ! Me and the rest of my coworkers had no idea how we didn't know this! We are all going to ask Dave (Cookie Monster puppeteer ) now !!!!! :)))))))

• Love 11

When the three witches sharing the single eyeball said "Did you really think someone like that would live *here*?" I just thought "Fuck you, assholes."

How the hell is this kid supposed to know your shithole while you're buttering him up with your bullshit.

The level of dislike I had for them was veering close to hatred.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, guilfoyleatpp said:

When the three witches sharing the single eyeball said "Did you really think someone like that would live *here*?" I just thought "Fuck you, assholes."

They were dicks, but also, as I wrote, a person who, based on the evidence of his photos, has a successful career in fashion doesn't live in Joplin, Missouri.

Obviously everyone who ends up on this show has a very solid baseline of denial and magical thinking and all that. I really don't expect Marvin who is what, 19 I think? to know or give much thought to how the fashion world really works. He's 19 and starting out his sexual life and he probably just thinks something along the line of "hot guy /says he's a model / he's good looking enough to be a model / ok he's a model". I can see him justifying the weird improbability that a super successful model happens to live in Joplin for some vague personal reasons (ie. maybe he's a model with a heart of gold and he spends most of his time in Joplin to care for his adorable but ailing granny and flies to NYC/Paris/Milan as needed! ) I don't even remember where my mind was at 19 but wow would I not want it on TV the stupid things I fell for at his age and even much older. 

• Love 2

Poor Marvin. I wanted to give that young man a hug several times as the story was unfolding. I mean, I know he should have known better about the "modeling," but the guy was naive and infatuated by the attention he was getting. The three perpetrators were total dicks, and I was so annoyed by their defense of playing Deputies Dog of Grindr. Granted, top models aren't going to call Joplin their home, but "People like that don't live here"?? Well, who is to say there aren't attractive young men with friends who do photography as a hobby in Joplin? Way to be rude to your locale and the people in it, you three screw-ups. And I'm sure those three are still actively catfishing people, using the excuse of "catching cheaters." 

22 hours ago, RL4L said:

"I mean, a fashion model in Joplin, Missouri? "

well...Colton Haynes is from Kansas...

Is that where he was living when he was successfully doing it full-time, though? Linda Evangelista is from the town where I went to high school but that's not where she was doing any photo shoots!

• Love 1