Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E18: Disbanded

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Diggle and Felicity are shocked by Oliver's decision to call on the Bratva to help take down Prometheus. Concerned the Bratva may overstep, Diggle has a hard conversation with Oliver about what happens if things go south. Meanwhile, Felicity learns something shocking at Helix.

After a bit of a rough start, I ended up enjoying the end of the episode. The team was used well, and I really liked the parallel heists. 

David Ramsey doesn't get enough credit for what a good actor he is, and he is criminally underused. I would kill for a bottle episode of just OTA hanging in the lair. 

I thought Felicity would find something shocking about Helix so I was disappointed on that front. 

I never want broken, timid Oliver again. It sucked the energy out of the first 1/2 of the ep for me. 

• Love 14

First off, Chase is awesome. Fantastic psycho villain not quite as great as Darhk but miles better than Merlyn.

JH is horribly wooden and lacks chemistry with everyone. 

Curtis is annoying AF, I really hate him this season. Dinah STFU you are NOT the new Dig. Curtis you sick and will never be as good as Felicity.

Felicity/EBR looked how with the straight hair during the heist. I loved that she stabbed the guard with the tranq needle. I also really loved the Helix scenes. I don't trust them but, I like them and hope for the best with Felicity/Helix.

Oliver is a dumbass. Not because he believes he enjoys killing. He's so full of self loathing and guilt that was an easy sell. He's a dumbass because he brought the Bratva to town, made a deal with them that put others lives in danger, like the cops protecting Chase. Did he really think the Bratva wouldn't kill them? 

Loved all of the Diggle/Oliver bromance scenes but JFC can I get an OTA scene and Diglicity scene that lasts more than 30 seconds

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 12

The beginning was boring, timid, sad Oliver is awful to watch, but I liked it overall. I also like that they're getting Oliver out of the Bratva.

1 minute ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Did he really think the Bratva wouldn't kill them? 

Probably. He's dumb.

• Love 3

I'd take the sad/broken Oliver we have now over the robot we've had from 501-515 to be honest. I'm glad he's finally back to emoting/feeling. He broke my heart this episode but I feel like I have my Oliver back :') Now I just hope he finds clarity and happiness now that he's over pushing away the people who are closest to him.

While I wanted more Felicity, I was satisfied with what we got because the rest of the episode focused on Diggle/Oliver - another very important relationship on the show. 

I can't wait for next episode!

• Love 14

Loved the ending scene, and I'm really excited for the next episode. 

I guess “spiritual retreat” is the new “hiking the Appalachian Trail.” Although I suppose Oliver wasn’t having nearly the fun that Mark Sanford was.

After what Chase did to Oliver, I find it really difficult to believe Diggle would be so up in arms about letting Bratva kill him. I know the show needed an excuse to keep Chase alive until the finale, but come on.

• Love 2

I'm still upset at how Oliver treated Anatoly.  What did he expect when he called his Bratva friend for a favour?  Kid gloves?  After killing the Bratva guy in s3 and now this, their friendship is done for good.  That makes me sad because I love cynical, cheerful Anatoly.

The director, JJ Makaro, is stealing the flips between scenes from Glen Winter.

Was there an Oliver/Susan scene cut? 

Spoiler

Not that I'm complaining. I thought there was a promo picture of them outside.  Or is that from 5x19?

5 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Aww!  I had to go back for it but In the scene where Curtis and Felicity come in with the video of Chase, Oliver says, "This is what we needed, something he couldn't plan for," then he pauses and looks at Felicity and says, "you."

It's the meta for the whole show.  :D

Hee.  Felicity is what the show needed for the win.

Three weeks, 6 days and 23 hours till the next episode.  It's been a while since I was looking forward to the next ep.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Was there an Oliver/Susan scene cut? 

Spoiler

Wasn't there a scene outside with Susan and someone who the paps said was not Oliver? I think that's supposed to be for next ep.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 2

God, when was the last time we had such wonderful, abundant Diggle/Oliver scenes? I mean, sure I wish there was more Olicity and OTA, but damn, they got their brotherhood on and Diggle saw straight through Oliver's crap. More of this Diggle. More Diggle.

10 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I also really loved the Helix scenes. I don't trust them but, I like them and hope for the best with Felicity/Helix.

I really want Helix to not be evil. Or at least not know their working for a bigger bad. 

That was really good overall. And my first time in the live thread, which I think made it more enjoyable. Josh Segarra is doing great work as Adrian. Like I hate him, but he's so fun to watch. I'm good with Oliver on a vacation. I hope he coaches some from headquarters. That should drive him crazy enough to get back in the field.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, bettername2come said:

God, when was the last time we had such wonderful, abundant Diggle/Oliver scenes? I mean, sure I wish there was more Olicity and OTA, but damn, they got their brotherhood on and Diggle saw straight through Oliver's crap. More of this Diggle. More Diggle.

21 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:
Spoiler

The reason why I don't mind we didn't get a lot of Olicity is because 519-520 is going to be FULL of it.

I can't wait!

Edited by kariyaki
Added spoiler tags
  • Love 1

You know, watching tonight's Arrow, after seeing last nights episodes of Flash and Legends of Tomorrow, just makes me truly realize how much EVERYONE IN THIS UNIVERSE NEEDS THEREPY! I know I said it in the live threat, but its bears repeating. So many problems on these shows would be solved if anyone just dealt with their damn issues and feelings in a healthy way.

Broken, sad puppy Oliver was just killing me, but it made me happy to see Stephen back to actually being Oliver, and not some kind of robot replacement like he was for awhile this season.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4

After the intensité! of the last episode, I didn't mind timid Oliver THAT much: his admission that he enjoyed killing was his version of hitting rock bottom.  At least there was some sort of emotion compared of the first half of the season.  The final scene was enough for me to say "ONE MONTH SHOW?! I need to know now! (stomps feet.)

Is there something with the actress playing Thea?  Why is she MIA this season? 

• Love 1

That was actually a pretty great episode. I wasn't expecting it to be so Dig heavy but he was overdue so yay, Felicity had way more Helix scenes than I expected, Susan was only around long enough to be summarily dismissed, they didn't stretch out Oliver's "I'm a killer who has to go it alone" mopefest, and even though there wasn't a lot of Olicity scenes, I'm glad the ones we got lacked the robotic detachment we saw in 5A. 

3 good episodes in a row. I'm shook. 

• Love 6

David Ramsay really brought it.  Diggle was awesome tonight and I loved how it focused so strongly on the Diggle and Oliver friendship.  Always enjoy Anatoly and Oliver's relationship with him too. 

Really smart of Felicity and Curtis to break into Kord Industries without masks or gloves...

Chase is kind of hilarious now that he's not even bothering to hide how evil he is.  I thought the end scene with him singing It's a Beautiful Morning was darkly funny.

Really good episode.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Hiveminder said:

I'll admit, I fast forwarded from Oliver breaking up with Susan till Oliver punched Dig in his apartment. Is there any reason for me to go back and watch what I skipped? Please say no. 

Meh, not really. Some good acting in the Oliver/Diggle scenes.

14 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Oliver is a dumbass. Not because he believes he enjoys killing. He's so full of self loathing and guilt that was an easy sell. He's a dumbass because he brought the Bratva to town, made a deal with them that put others lives in danger, like the cops protecting Chase. Did he really think the Bratva wouldn't kill them? 

So, so true. He knows better than anyone that not everyone will be safe. It's not just Chase that'll be in danger.

I noted that it took a couple of seconds longer to mention Tommy's name in his list. My headcanon is that he was remembering his death and he's still upset over it.

Wonderful Oliver/Diggle scenes. Now that Oliver has human emotions again, he gets to interact with the people that matter. I am thrilled that we are seeing some of the old Oliver. Sure, he's pouty, angsty, and self loathing, but way better than robotic Oliver for me. A great episode for Stephen but also for David Ramsey. He gave his A game and it felt like early series Diggle and Oliver. I also enjoyed the Oliver/Anatoly scenes. They made the right choice in bringing him into the present day scenes. First of all, I can understand and care about what's going on, and Oliver can interact with his old friend. 

Curtis needs to shut up. I mean, Felicity was always quirky and rambly, but I think they've gone overboard with Curtis. It's like it is his only default. 

Helix is still untrustworthy, but it is nice to see them helping out Felicity and actually giving her good info. Also, they got Felicity out on the field so that's a plus. Great parallel with both missions. 

• Love 6
52 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

I'd take the sad/broken Oliver we have now over the robot we've had from 501-515 to be honest. I'm glad he's finally back to emoting/feeling. He broke my heart this episode but I feel like I have my Oliver back :') Now I just hope he finds clarity and happiness now that he's over pushing away the people who are closest to him.

I still do not understand why he was so robotic all that time. It's so weird!

Those gifs remind me how not wooden EBR is in her acting.

David Ramsey was right that OTA is the bread and butter of this show.  The EPs' mistake is that they're not allowed to interact until the last few episodes of the season to pull us back in for the next season.

As good as the Oliver/Diggle bromance scenes were, the Oliver/Anatoly present day scenes were bad.  Oliver spent the time attacking Anatoly for breaking their bond of friendship when it was Oliver who did.

Why dd the City Hall guy assume that Chase's schedule had been leaked by someone at City Hall?  Has he not been following the hacking news for the last 8 years?  No wonder Star Cit is in trouble.

I still don't understand why Curtis and Felicity didn't wear masks.  Because MG doesn't want to put Felicity in a mask?  That security guard saw them even if they did knock the CCTV feed out.

There are now six mannequins in the Arrow cave (not counting Barry's) and Felicity who will never get one.  It's been established that when there are more than three, these writer can't handle it.  I'm not feeling too sanguine right now.

Speaking of blood, it was a nice moment when Chase is killing the federal agent and his wound breaks open and flows down his shirt.

34 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Aww!  I had to go back for it but In the scene where Curtis and Felicity come in with the video of Chase, Oliver says, "This is what we needed, something he couldn't plan for," then he pauses and looks at Felicity and says, "you."

Anyone else worrying that that's an anvil for Chase going after Felicity?

• Love 1

"You and me, we're never going to be done!" Oh Lord, the Dig and Oliver scenes just killed me. They just really love each other yall. Dig desperately trying to pull Oliver back from the brink just gave me feelings.

I think I might love this show again. So of course now I have to wait three weeks for a new episode. Chase has truly created a horrific torture!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 9
29 minutes ago, Hiveminder said:

I'll admit, I fast forwarded from Oliver breaking up with Susan till Oliver punched Dig in his apartment. Is there any reason for me to go back and watch what I skipped? Please say no. 

Nah. The one thing I liked was that he mentioned that they never really got a chance to resolve things, which makes it sound like they never got back together after she got her job back, so he no longer looks like an idiot (as much) for not noticing she was kidnapped for a week. 

1 minute ago, tennisgurl said:

"You and me, we're never going to be done!"

I got misty eyed at this line.  Diggle is the best friend Oliver will ever have in his entire life and he better damn well start appreciating that man!

• Love 5

Brutal episode, but at least we're heading into the break on an up note. Sadly, that means Oliver has to break up with his first boyfriend. I know that siccing a criminal organization on your moral nemesis of the season is shady, but Anatoli grows on you, even when he's being a prick. All that's missing is for Rene to go, "Man, that Russian dude is a cagey beast. Right, hoss?" Then all of Team Arrow can murder him, because he will have fulfilled his purpose.

Why couldn't we get Emo Ollie and Emo Barry get together to eat ice cream and watch old musicals? Poor bastards. I know where Oliver was coming from, but that was depressing. Especially with Chase popping up and doing everything but rubbing his personal area in Oliver's face.

Hey, the T-Spheres are justifying Curtis being part of the frontlines! Gotta love that he goes from taking a beating to taking a beating in order to scam Chase. That guy can prepare for Felicity. Floating metal orbs with kindasorta artificial intelligence? That's a different story.

• Love 1

Hopefully the "5 episodes left" sizzle reel comes within the next week or two to tide us over, but props to finally leaving hiatus on a note (and a promo) that makes me want more. Fingers crossed they keep up the momentum until the end! 

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Why couldn't we get Emo Ollie and Emo Barry get together to eat ice cream and watch old musicals? Poor bastards. I know where Oliver was coming from, but that was depressing. Especially with Chase popping up and doing everything but rubbing his personal area in Oliver's face.

I was mostly bored during the parts that I actually watched, but that scene of Oliver and Chase made me extremely uncomfortable. Having to see, interact with, have a freaking conversation with Chase after spending six days being tortured and broken down by the man? And he's standing there all smug and victorious? I would cry in Oliver's place. 

• Love 3

Loved the Oliver/Diggle scenes, even though I was frustrated with Oliver for most of the episode. 

Still wish we'd gotten more of Anatoly in the present this season. Imagine all the great scenes we could have gotten. Couldn't even blame him about Oliver. 

So Helix has a cafe of some sort or food court area? That's what it looked like to me. Who is funding this organization? And who designed it?

Speaking of designing, when did Oliver have time to remodel the lair? Did he ask Anatoly for advice over vodka?

I get that they don't want to put Felicity in a mask on Arrow, but nothing to conceal her and Curtis' identities? At all? That should backfire on them but probably won't.

LOVED the whole Chase didn't plan for Felicity bit, though it also made me worried about the upcoming episodes because this is just TV 101 that that means that Chase probably does have plans involving her. 

Thought it was a nice move to show Chase's wound bleeding while he was killing the guy. See, Chase is so crazy he doesn't even care his wound is open and he's bleeding all over his shirt. Or driving his car covered in blood. Chase (and JS) is really embracing letting the crazy out. 

• Love 1

Holy shit at that ending! So freakin' perfect. Chase being super calm and cool in public under all that psycho was just really working for me throughout the episode. And then he goes berserk at the end! Man, I love JS as a villain. Holy fucking shit, he's absolutely nuts. Hats off to Blake Neely, too, for Chase's villain score. The music sort of reminds me of Darth Vader in Rogue One kinda? Then that transition to the happy song as Chase drives back to SC, whistling and covered in blood. Perfect.

The bromance between Diggle and Oliver is ace. Diggle's passionate but stern pleas to Oliver to listen to him because he knows Oliver, and then Oliver telling him that maybe Digg shouldn't want him as his brother really got me. I love their relationship a lot. I've missed their bond. DR got some really fantastic scenes and SA was pretty great, too, now that he's remembered to be emotive again. Also, and this is important, DR is super hot when he's angry.

Broken Oliver is just so sad to watch... Dude really needs to go to therapy or have Diggle (and Felicity) sit down with him every other week to talk about his demons. The acting was top notch but, honestly, just please skew his learning curve a bit higher so we can have an Oliver who finally realizes he doesn't have to be such a loner and that his dark past does not define him and that he actually has helped make a great number of people's lives better. Otherwise, at around the same time next season, we'll be back to broken down, doubtful Oliver again, rinse and repeat.

I enjoyed every scene with Felicity at Helix, the loft, and Kord Industries. And EBR with her hair down, decked all in black, in heist mode is super gorgeous. I loved the tiny Delicity moment we had, though I wanted Digg to be a little more concerned why she's acting the way she is. Then again, Digg was pretty preoccupied with Oliver so I'll let that go. Also really liked that tiny Olicity moment at the lair at the end.

I laughed at Rene's look when Diggle talked about him threatening to pop Chase's cap at the Mayor's office. Curtis was kinda annoying and a little too much in this episode. Tinah was... Tinah. I miss Rory. I, also, really miss Thea and I dislike so much that TPTB shortened WH's episode order count yet they keep giving all the boobs all the screentime in the world.

I'm going to watch the episode live, later, but I was so happy that my stream cut off during the Susie/Oliver break-up in the beginning. #blessed

• Love 11

Great episode, really, even if it was entirely predicated on this horrible retcon about Oliver's out-of-control murder spree that never was. It was nice to end the episode on a note that showed that Chase was entirely projecting his own pathology onto Oliver. 

Also, fuck Anatoli. For all of his "Oliver, you're an out of control killer" bullshit, he now blames Oliver for not staying to keep him in line? That shows that he also was projecting his own problems. Oliver seems to the emotional repository for a bunch of weak assholes. Poor bastard.

• Love 5

Okay just finished watching.

Chase was barely in the episode and he is already a better more chilling Villan then Slade- just saying. That last scene was awesome!!!! 

(Have a cry Manu)

Since the last few eps I've upgraded him from Kylo Ren to the love child of Heath Ledgers Joker and the Mayor in Buffy in Zac Efrons body.

I loved the focus on Diggle and Olivers bromance and the contrast between the demise or strain of Oliver and Anatolyis. Diggle and Oliver proved they were the greatest romance since Jack and Rose "You jump I jump Jack" but I am sad that Anatolyi and Oliver are on the outs. I was expecting him to play surrogate Uncle or Grandpa to Olicitys future baby girl or son. :'(

My new spec is that Chase won't die or if he dies it won't be by Oliver since they had Diggle specify that it's about saving Olivers soul- which I loved that line because I feel like the mission of the show is Oliver wants to save the city and Diggle and Felicity want to save Oliver.

Speaking of Felicity I think it's telling to just how far she is gone that in an episode where Diggle was going all out to help Oliver through his latest shame spiral Felicity didn't make any attempts or reach out like she would have been the first to do so in the past. I found that super confronting and had me worrying as much for Felicity as I did Oliver.

I thinking subtly and the slowly racketing up a notch of Felicitys dark arch has been a relative success this season and I can't wait for next episode based on the spoilers. Bring it!

That being said while Felicitys coldness and descent into morally grey ends justifying the means hacker vigilante is intriguing I find Helix as an organisation itself more adorable then threatening. Like I'll be honest the Helix scenes just made me think Hacker High. And I loved it don't get me wrong- I would totally watch a CW teen hacker high school drama The Social Network meets Dawson's Creek haha. But they need to up the anti as a Villan.

Although I want the show to adopt Baby Felicity and have her be like one of the Bones interns that works for Felicity next season.

Also forgot to add that Felicity out in the field was awesome and she was so bad ass that I don't even care about the no mask thing! Like think about how far she's come from those missions in season one like the casino or breaking into Merlyns mainframe. 

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I do love Chase. He's just fucking crazy on the Malcolm s1 level of batshit.

As I said last week, I don't find 'crazy' compelling or interesting in a villain. Maybe if we'd watched Chase lose it slowly, it would be different. But we didn't. I just think crazy villains are a cheap and easy way for writers to do whatever they want in the text without having to find a reason or justification for it. It's kind of lazy.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, catrox14 said:

Well, shit.  Dean Winchester and Felicity need to go pie scavenging together.

Was it wrong of me to show you the Sam/Felicity crossover ship gifs? Have I started something now haha

• Love 1

Honestly the only reason why I don't want Felicity on Supernatural (even for a crossover) is because I'd be worried they'd kill her off :)))))

(I'm still bitter about Jo/Ellen/Charlie)

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 16
Just now, LeighAn said:

Was it wrong of me to show you the Sam/Felicity crossover ship gifs? Have I started something now haha

LOL no. It's all good. I don't ship Dean and Felicity only because Olicity. Sam has the Peen o Death so....no go on that one.  Yes I KNOW they do not know who each other are. But I KNOW

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, AudienceofOne said:

Great episode, really, even if it was entirely predicated on this horrible retcon about Oliver's out-of-control murder spree that never was. It was nice to end the episode on a note that showed that Chase was entirely projecting his own pathology onto Oliver. 

Also, fuck Anatoli. For all of his "Oliver, you're an out of control killer" bullshit, he now blames Oliver for not staying to keep him in line? That shows that he also was projecting his own problems. Oliver seems to the emotional repository for a bunch of weak assholes. Poor bastard.

I've been mad at Anatoly since last episode when he said Oliver liked killing. Shut up, Anatoly. 

I know Anatoly gets a lot of love from Arrow fans, and he was a good friend to Oliver once, but dude's head of the Russian mob. I guarantee you he's done worse things than Oliver ever has, just possibly not with his own two hands. 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, AudienceofOne said:

As I said last week, I don't find 'crazy' compelling or interesting in a villain. Maybe if we'd watched Chase lose it slowly, it would be different. But we didn't. I just think crazy villains are a cheap and easy way for writers to do whatever they want in the text without having to find a reason or justification for it. It's kind of lazy.

JS is doing a fantastic job, but I still question the logic behind this character. How has he been able to hide his batshit crazy for so long? How has he arranged all of this? How does he know every single detail of Oliver's life? He doesn't make sense. 

• Love 3