Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E21: San Diego

How do we feel about Schmidt's first name? I always thought it would be Nick Schmidt, and I was wrong. Weird how they show has to film around two baby bumps. 

I'm confused why Jess doesn't need to be at work.

Winston Saint-Marie Schmidt, I heart you.

I must admit, I didn't see that particular first name coming. But I loved how Nick and Winston (a.k.a. The Bish) both said that trying the two Winston thing had nearly destroyed them.

Nick's whole break-up plan was so typically Nick. I did laugh when he jumped off the train, though. And then told the roommates that Reagan would come back and that there'd be a "reckoning."

1 hour ago, HollyG said:

It was really nice to see Donna Pescow playing the ice cream waitress. (Saturday Night Fever, Angie) I haven't seen her in years! 

That's who that was! Thanks, HollyG. I was going to look up who played Priscilla, but...eh. Too lazy. She really did hump her way in there, didn't she? The character, I mean. Not Donna Pescow. (I'm assuming.)

(And now I have the theme from Angie stuck in my head. "Let the time flow, let the love grow...")

• Love 7

Winston Schmidt!!!!! BAHAHAHAHHAHAHA! That is hysterical!!! Two Winstons!!! ROFL! 

CeeCee: I love you Winston!

ROFL! Oh oh! :) Maybe it's not a good idea to call your husband Winston. :) What Winston's middle name is Saint-Marie?!!?! Which parent gave him that middle name and why!?!?! Oh and yes Nick is SO in love with Jess! :) I don't want our old Winston to be called bitch! :(

Edited by sonyab
  • Love 1

Oh, Nick, you immature piece of shit, leaving a girl on a train instead of having the balls to break up with her is right up there with Carrie getting a post it note on SATC.

I had a friend who absolutely hated breaking up with girls so he did the same as Nick - he would do something dickish to cause the girl to say, "We are breaking up." He seemed to think that if he actually broke up with her, he would be the bad guy so he was convinced that if she broke up with him then he was somehow the blame-free victim. He didn't seem to understand that doing something dickish to cause the break up made him a bad guy too.

Loved Jess regressing to a teenager while she was at her dad's house. Whenever I visit my parents, I vow I won't let it happen but inevitably I have a moment (or five) where I act like a 13 year old with them. Even though Jess was meddling in someone's personal life again, I thought it was sweet for her to ask Priscilla out for her dad since she could see they liked each other.

Nitpick: it always annoys me when someone who is married says, "We broke up." Break ups are for unmarried people. Divorces and separations are for married people.

Those can crushers are surprisingly satisfying.

• Love 3

I loved this episode, but you know what's bugging me? This is 2017, what adult calls a good friend at the landline of where they're visiting, rather then just on their own cell? one, but I know we needed that conversation for the plot. Okay, I just realized, he was probably doing it because he desperatly needed to reach her and she was out...but surprised he's even have it. 

Edited by Sdh1545
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

Weird how they show has to film around two baby bumps. 

Who else is preg?

I am curious how they are going to do Jess and Nick's big reunion if she has to be sitting under a blanket or behind a counter or something at all times. 

12 minutes ago, Maya said:

Who else is preg?

I am curious how they are going to do Jess and Nick's big reunion if she has to be sitting under a blanket or behind a counter or something at all times. 

I keep thinking this too!  I want a pink bathrobe, hallway level kiss and don't see it happening if they're trying to hide the bump.

Any idea when Fox will decide if it's renewed or nothe?  Everything seems to say 50/50 and I'd kind of like to know before the finale.  

• Love 1

I loved Nick's utter helplessness when he tried to break up with Reagan, basically turning into a quivering mass of jelly. He's gotta find a better hiding place on the floor, though.

Rob Reiner has been perfect as Jess's dad. And I'll have to remember to crush cans as therapy the next time I'm upset.

I'm sorry they finally revealed Schmidt's first name, though. I liked the idea that it would remain a mystery to us throughout the entire run of the show.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Loved Jess regressing to a teenager while she was at her dad's house. Whenever I visit my parents, I vow I won't let it happen but inevitably I have a moment (or five) where I act like a 13 year old with them. Even though Jess was meddling in someone's personal life again, I thought it was sweet for her to ask Priscilla out for her dad since she could see they liked each other.

Hahahaha! Yeah that cracked me up!!!! Dad! Don't talk to my friends! ROFL! Yeah she was sweet in the Priscilla and her dad scene. But then she was shocked and grossed out when she heard her dad and her having sex! Hahahahaha! CeeCee with, get out of of the house NOW! Hahahaha!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Maya said:

I wonder if her pregnancy is what led them to hold off on the reunion until the last possible episode. Can't really do sexy scenes.

I kind of forgot about this show for awhile (the network airing schedule is so erratic and I'm just not used to it anymore), so I binged through the last five episodes this week. I thought it was as solid as ever, and I liked the way they played the Jess/Nick/Reagan dynamic. Nick's constant casual and seemingly unconscious remarks about how great Jess is and how he was deeply in love with her crack me up. Listen to the words coming out of your own mouth, buddy. 

• Love 2

I was impressed last week that Nick seemed to have grown so much but this was a big step back. Not to be able to break up with Regan, after claiming he loves her, is horribly childish. All of it was awful. Even if he hadn't gotten off of the train, he would have broken up with her in San Diego and come home? Then she'd still have to come back to the loft since all her stuff was there. Stick it out for the weekend and then travel back together? Every option there was bad. I get that Nick isn't good at relationship stuff, but if they are going to give us Nick and Jess and it might be for the very last episode, I need to believe he's good enough at relationship stuff that they won't fall apart the minute the show ends.

I loved the Winston Schmidt plot! If they had to reveal it (and I guess they really do think the show is ending) Winston is a perfect name! It explains why he goes by Schmidt all the time, it gave us a good plot between Winston and Schmidt who have carried the show through some rough patches and it managed to set things back to the status quo by the end of the story. Because I cannot start calling Schmidt something else now.

Rob Reiner is a gem in all things and casting him originally is something that has really paid off. He's been great in these past few episodes and I love that he and Priscilla immediately hooked up. That whole scene was amazing!

• Love 2

It was really nice to see Donna Pescow playing the ice cream waitress. (Saturday Night Fever, Angie) I haven't seen her in years! 

Am I the only one who first thought "Evie's mom!" from Out of This World?!?! How many times did I put my fingertips together to try to freeze time...

I thought this episode was really cute. I don't laugh out loud very much like I did when the show was really clicking, but I did get a huge kick out of "I love you so much, Winston" and the horrified reactions from Winston and Cece. 

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, ddiced35 said:

Am I the only one who first thought "Evie's mom!" from Out of This World?!?! How many times did I put my fingertips together to try to freeze time...

Your not the only one!! I loved that show when I was little. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Maya said:

Who else is preg?

Hannah Simone, who plays Cece. Her outfit this episode is the first time you could kind of tell, but she is showing in all her real-time interviews. I noticed they did a lot more closeups of her than normal. 

• Love 3

Aly's unflappableness in the middle of all of this is even better when you know that she turns just as silly around her own family, and in the middle of an "Aly and Winston Mess-around"

Cece calling Schmidt Winston in Bed was the satisfying resolution to the whole thing, I loved both of their reactions.

Nick on the Train was straight up Nick too. Hahaha, Anaheim....the platform, fantastic.

This was a really fun episode. With that said, I'm still holding out hope they decide to wrap it up this season. The characters have just out-grown the show in my opinion. But it is a stable enough force for Fox I could easily see it being renewed.

• Love 3

Revealing Schmidt's first name seemed very much like a "last season" thing to do. 

Is Aly living in the loft now? Why? Why would she move in with Winston and his roommates when she had an apartment of her own? Especially if she has to sleep during the day and people keep waking her up?

I loved the visual gag with Jess knocking over all the cans trying to get out of the kitchen.

• Love 1

I really, really liked this episode. Yeah, Nick regressed a bit while trying to avoid breaking up with Reagan, but in the end he did the grown-up thing. And I like how they're putting him and Jess together again.

Zoey's pregnancy was really obvious when she was sitting in her dad's sofa. I too wonder how they're going to frame Jess and Nick's reunion. I don't mind it if this is the last season we'll get, but I would like a half-season more. Just to really tie up everything.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, feverfew said:

I don't mind it if this is the last season we'll get, but I would like a half-season more. Just to really tie up everything.

I've been thinking I'd like a half season too.  I just don't like the idea of a show that's been on so long not fully preparing their final season.  If they get Nick and Jess together in the finale then I don't think they'd have a full season worth of material left but I wouldn't mind a few episodes to tie things up.  

• Love 1

Schmidts name is Winston! Oh my God that's awesome! "Having two Winston's almost tore us apart."

Ally was on point all night. "And yet, all the Michaels of the world seem to be making it work." Really good episode, and you can really tell its getting towards the end. We are moving everyone into their end game, and while I`ll miss the show, I think this is the right time to call it quits.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, sonyab said:

Wait what!!?!?! New girl is over?!!?! Where did you all hear that from?! :(

It's not renewed yet, so the writers are wrapping up storylines just in case. It's not cancelled yet either.

29 minutes ago, BoogieBurns said:

It's not renewed yet, so the writers are wrapping up storylines just in case. It's not cancelled yet either.

Oh! Well, I hope it gets renewed!

• Love 2

Looks like I may be a party f one, but....Woo Hoo!  Regan is gone!  I was so happy to see her packing her bags.  No more baby voice whispering.  No more boring personality.  No more watching the complete lack of chemistry between her and every other character.  I'm just so glad she won't be around any more! 

Loved seeing Donna Pescow too.  I remember watching "Angie" as a kid. 

• Love 6

Love Aly. The way she delivers her lines and her reactions are awesome. I've been a fan of Nasim since her SNL days. Bye Reagan, not going to miss her in the slightest.

And I'm not ready for this show to end yet. A final season to wrap everything up would be ideal.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Sdh1545 said:

I loved this episode, but you know what's bugging me? This is 2017, what adult calls a good friend at the landline of where they're visiting, rather then just on their own cell? one, but I know we needed that conversation for the plot. Okay, I just realized, he was probably doing it because he desperatly needed to reach her and she was out...but surprised he's even have it. 

Nick's been calling Jess on her cell. She's not answering. So, that wasn't a problem for me. The problem I had was the drink can crushing. Those mo-fos are worth a nickel each uncrushed. [I live in Portland]

Also, Winstons wouldn't have had a problem talking to and about each other. I've name-shared. It was other people who had a problem. 

eta: Also glad to see Reagan go. I find myself so fascinated by her shiny, shiny face that I lose track of what's going on. Last week (?) she looked like she had acne scarring under it. So that led me off on a tangent, thinking there's no way she'd have acne scarring so what was it. 

Edited by MischaMouse
Reagan's face

I've been in the same situation where classmates had the same first name as I.  The easiest solution was to address us by our last names, kinda like Schmidt, or, better yet, nicknames like "The Bish".

BTW, isn't this FOX's longest-running live action sitcom?  It would made sense for the execs to give it a 13-episode seventh season to tie things up.  It would be idiotic for them to just end it so abruptly, even though all of the stories are coming full circle.

Edited by Utpe
27 minutes ago, Utpe said:

BTW, isn't this FOX's longest-running live action sitcom?  It would made sense for the execs to give it a 13-episode seventh season to tie things up.  It would be idiotic for them to just end it so abruptly, even though all of the stories are coming full circle.

That's a good point.  For a show that's been running this long you'd think they'd want to take advantage of the whole "final season!" "10 more episodes!" opportunity.

4 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Looks like I may be a party f one, but....Woo Hoo!  Regan is gone!

I'd love to join the party, I'll bring some dip...well actually I'll bring the wine.  I don't know why I said dip! Anyway, bye bye, Reagan. Nick will always be a mix of having mature moments peppered in with immaturity and insanity.
Aly had the best lines in the episodes. My brother's name is Michael and growing up one of his best friends was also named Michael. Somehow we all managed to figure it out. So I cracked up when she said and somehow all the Michaels of the world have figured it out. The idea of how having two Winston's nearly tore them apart is intriguing. I'm sure it's stupid and bizarre because it's the guys. This has been the best season in a while and I feel like this can be the last one. Another season and they'd just ruin things again, especially if we have to watch Jess & Nick together again. I have no faith in them having learned from that first time. Let's end it now while we are still laughing. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Utpe said:

BTW, isn't this FOX's longest-running live action sitcom?

I think that goes to Married...with Children, but this could possibly be in second place. It seems smart to let them go out on a high note with a tight final season after Zooey has her baby and returns from leave. Hannah could totally be pregnant as Cece within the show. 

9 hours ago, MischaMouse said:

It seems to me that this season is wrapping things up. Everyone will be all paired up and live happily ever after. 

Right, but the writers don't know for sure, so some threads may be left dangling. I just was hoping they were able to write a finale with closure. They could find out next week that it has been picked up for 10 episodes, so they have to leave something unresolved. Maybe have alternate endings for both circumstances.

Basically if you watch any season finale of Chuck, they are all written as series finales and it's hard to rev back up once you get renewed.

On 3/29/2017 at 8:56 PM, Utpe said:

Married ... with Children, That '70s Show and Malcolm in the Middle ran longer. If they get another season of at least 14 episodes, they'll be FOX's longest-running 21st century live action sitcom, though. MITM premiered in 2000 and ran for 151 episodes and New Girl is at 138 episodes. 

IT makes little sense for Jewish parents to name their son Saint Marie. I was expecting Schmidt to have some unprouncable Jewish name like Chaim Menachem Yechiel. :D :D Oh well, the Winston big was hilarious.