Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E18: Dirty Laundry

Oh boy, where to start? Let's start off with the bad: Jude, Jude, Jude. Thank goodness Noah talked him down from bullying the bully. It really isn't helpful at the end of the day, because the cycle will continue. I was surprised that Jude was so willing to jump the gun when he made it clear that the bully only made two single comments and it wasn't more than that, but looking at Jude's childhood, I totally get his anger and need for revenge. I was just on Noah's side that it won't help Jude and it'll make him just as bad. I do get that there's no easy way to deal with bullies, especially at that young of an age.

Oh, Callie. I don't even know where to start with this girl. I'm annoyed by her Troy/Kyle case a lot. I just want her and Aaron to stop; he's also older than her, so he should know better as well. He seems worried, but not worried enough to get her to slow down. And yeah, I was annoyed with her butting in at dinner. I get that Aaron asked her to come, but the way he said "you can be my buffer", he was laughing a bit. I don't think he was entirely serious, but he was just wanting Callie there as emotional support, especially with his strained relationship. So her jumping in wasn't her place to do, and I'm glad Aaron called her on that. Family's complicated; she knows that better than anyone. Also, screw you show, on having Callie/Aaron already get together. I guess AJ was proven right with these two. Now she has no leg to stand on, even with AJ being interested in Dawn and breaking up with Callie. 

That being said, I did like Aaron's story and I did like Callie's scene with Aaron's mother. It does seem like all of them are adjusting to the idea, and even though it's unclear if Aaron's father will ever truly come around, his mother and brother seem like they're making their way to normalcy. I do like when this show does go for these emotional and important stories to tell. It doesn't feel like they're doing it for TV drama; I do feel like they were actually trying to show a different sides to trans issues and the family dealing with it. There will always be bigots and transphobes who will never be accepting, but we often forget about the family members and friends who are transitioning into acceptance themselves (hopefully this isn't a poor choice of words). So hearing Aaron's mother explain why it was hard for her to accept it was just as important as hearing why Aaron couldn't just stand up to his family. 

Hey! Jesus can read! Honestly, it took me a few seconds to process that he was reading, but yay! But now Brandon took the letter away and now Stef knows the big secret. The only ones in the dark besides Jesus are Lena, Callie, and Jude.

Speaking more on Jesus, he's also not taking his meds? Well, at least this remains in character. I do wonder how it will affect him. Also, five years on those meds? Damn, I never thought about how long he would be in recovery. 

Goddamnit, Mariana. You gotta ask your moms first before making big decisions. She's really just so reckless, but I get that she's doing this for Jesus. The intentions are good, but the execution is horrible. 

I guess we're supposed to assume that Stef's new job has been affecting her home life for a while now? Even though it's probably only been a month, at most, since she started her new job? That being said, I love that both of them talked out their feelings and Stef will be trying to compromise a bit more. She is right, though, about the kids being old enough to help. And I couldn't help but laugh at Brandon's grocery list. Teenagers will be teenagers. 

• Love 5

ok episode,

jesus sex talk and parts made me laugh my head off, i noticed this is the first episode in which noah c is shirtless unlike with jake where he was basically shirtless every episode, it felt weird that suddenly jesus had trouble in bed when before he didn't also why would he need to take meds for 5 years? just how bad is that tbi? also felt ooc he would stop taking the pills just for sex

brandon is still stupid and annoying, they need to stop trying to make him seem like a good person when he is not

felt awful for gabe, having been in a similar situation where i nearly lost my home i felt terrible for him, you know there's an ideal solution for everyone, gabe lives in the garage, becomes jesus's caregiver and the family caretaker so lena can get back to work, everyone wins 

noah came off as a sanctimonious douche, those boys deserved what they got, you can't always be nice, in life you need to take a stand

callie bores me, i am glad aj is free of her, interested in aaron though, hated that he might be with her though

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, hovegeta said:

noah came off as a sanctimonious douche, those boys deserved what they got, you can't always be nice, in life you need to take a stand

Noah wasn't saying that Jude didn't need to take a stand. His point was that he didn't have to become a bully to do it. He didn't want to see Jude become exactly like the boys he was getting his revenge on. I think he wanted to see Jude take a different route. It's hard to say what's the right way to handle a bully, though. I see why Jude reacted in that way, and I have certainly thought about revenge on bullies myself. But I also think that fighting fire with fire will only cause bigger flames. 

Also, they had just broken into the school with Lena's keys. I think Jude's rebellion is getting to his head. He's also been kind of a brat, and I think pre-teen Jude might have found a different way to handle the bullies. Remember nail polish wearing Jude? I know he was younger and more naive, but I do miss that side of him. 

16 minutes ago, hovegeta said:

it felt weird that suddenly jesus had trouble in bed when before he didn't also why would he need to take meds for 5 years? just how bad is that tbi? also felt ooc he would stop taking the pills just for sex

Well, as Jesus read aloud from the pill bottle, side effects include impotence, which would help explain his troubles now with sex. I decided to look TBI medications to see if it offered a better explanation. There isn't any information that I found, but I do know that the show's done a lot of research so I trust that they know what they're talking about. 

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, hovegeta said:

why would he need to take meds for 5 years? just how bad is that tbi?

It's probably anti-seizure medication. Seizures should be taken very seriously. I have a friend who has epilepsy and she had to be seizure-free for five years before she could drive.

EDIT: I checked the episode and found an anti-seizure medication called Felbamate; that's what the label on the bottle says. 

Edited by ShortyMac
  • Love 2

Every time Callie brings up Troy, I roll my eyes. She just can't let it go! And what's most annoying is that her persistence will probably pay off and get her out of her mess (though it's ridiculous that she's in it to begin with). Also eyeroll-inducing is Aaron/Callie. Not just because she's clearly into the "wounded/needs help" thing but I dislike Aaron because he's been flirting with Callie both one-on-one and in front of AJ. Callie started it by kissing him while she was with AJ but I think it's pretty shitty to pursue someone in a relationship, so boo to him being rewarded in the end. But his story with his family was a good one. I hope we don't see Aaron's brother again, though.

I find it hard to believe that Brandon was too ditzy to handle a shopping trip. Even if he didn't have the list, he should know what his family buys by now, and remember some of the things they were out of. He should also know that they're not rolling in the dough, so if anything he should have bought less just to be safe. They just had him living with a single mother, dude can't handle buying bread? Dumb. Also dumb was him not throwing Emma's letter out. Now Stef knows, and she'll tell Lena. Hopefully they'll go to Emma and tell her to tell Jesus because he'll probably ask Emma about it anyway, now that he can read (woo-hoo!). I find it interesting that Marianna was going around stealing pills and now Jesus is refusing his.

Speaking of Marianna, she continues to tick me off. She just does whatever she wants and thinks she's adorable for it. You're not cute, and you're not five anymore, cut it out. But perhaps Gabe will help Lena out? (Speaking of Gabe, I'm glad they didn't have Mike get all suspicious of Ana's involvement in Gabe's business. I was worried they might when they had him walk in on them hugging.) I'm glad Stef and Lena talked things out before things festered for too long. That new principal is a wolf in sheep's clothing... even without his plan to convert the school to a private one (and I'm not sure what the pros are for that... increasing salaries?), he's an asshole for giving Lena all that paperwork. He knows he was brought in because she was on leave for her injured son, who he just spoke with and saw the extent of said injuries.

Oh yeah, Jude. When he and Noah were in the school late at night, I figured it was Noah's idea, so I was surprised when Noah was like, "you're being a douche, I'm not into this crap". I still think Noah's not a great influence but he's not completely to blame for Jude's shittiness as of late. I understand why he didn't but I wish Jude would have hit a bully like that with a joke like, "dude, this is weak, get me something bigger," or "where'd you get this, your mom's dresser?" (because seriously, did he get that from someone else or did he spend money on this ~hilarious~ joke?). It's tough to deal with bullies, you can almost never win, but not reacting as expected at least confuses people, lol.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, omgsowicked said:

I find it hard to believe that Brandon was too ditzy to handle a shopping trip.

I thought he forgot the list "accidentally on purpose" so he could buy what he wanted, i.e. not what the moms usually get.

What I couldn't believe was that he kept Emma's letter in his pocket when he tossed his pants into the laundry, instead of either putting it somewhere secure or giving it back to her.

• Love 1

There is no such thing as taking medication for "x" years if it is seizure medication, and Felbamate is an anti-convulsant - a friend takes it. It does not cause impotence (although side effects in such strong meds are often case by case).

Felbamate is also a drug that is prescribed only if other drugs fail. It can cause Aplastic Anemia, which kills very fast. Very few people use such drug. My friend only uses it because they were part of the trial of the drug and by the time the aplastic anemia was linked to it, they were on the drug long enough to be "safe"

Not a lot of research done, it seems.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, alexvillage said:

There is no such thing as taking medication for "x" years if it is seizure medication, and Felbamate is an anti-convulsant - a friend takes it. It does not cause impotence (although side effects in such strong meds are often case by case).

Felbamate is also a drug that is prescribed only if other drugs fail. It can cause Aplastic Anemia, which kills very fast. Very few people use such drug. My friend only uses it because they were part of the trial of the drug and by the time the aplastic anemia was linked to it, they were on the drug long enough to be "safe"

Yeah, I was doing research last night about the drug and didn't come across impotence as a side effect, plus I also saw that it's a riskier drug to take, so I was surprised that they chose that particular one. I also don't think they'd have impotence on the bottle if it's not a common side effect. Jesus would have most likely called his doctor (or got Lena to) to ask about the more rare side effects. But I guess impotence as a side effect is not as common in anti-convulsant drugs, so they probably picked a medication for drama. I did decide to do research on what drugs could cause impotence and I did note a drug called Gabapentin specifies impotency/sexual dysfunction. I don't know if this particular drug would have been useful for Jesus, but it makes a bit more sense than the other drug. I also don't know if this Gabapentin drug is riskier either.

I'm really not going to be surprised if this season ends with Jesus having another seizure. He shouldn't be skipping his meds just so he can have sex with his girlfriend. I guess that he just wants to be in control of one aspect of his life because his entire life now is being controlled by doctors and his family, but he doesn't seem to get how serious it is. Didn't he go through with serious side effects when he stopped taking his ADHD medication? Granted, that was planned, but I remember that one episode where he was having difficulties when wrestling so he went back on his meds. 

Callie, boundary-crosser extraordinaire.  I hated that her inappropriate behavior was rewarded by not only a new sexual relationship, but also Aaron's mother seeing the light.  I didn't buy that a stranger butting in would have that overnight effect.

Jude is really having his issues, isn't he, and his moms don't even know what he's getting up to. 

I could have done without Lena's lengthy description of what Jesus could and could not do.  Stef and Lena's acceptance of the older kids having sex at home, maybe good in theory, but in practice, looks like it's going to backfire with Jesus. 

• Love 2

@hovegeta- the part where Jesus stopped taking his meds due to the side effect of impotence was one of the most realistic parts of the episode. There are adult men (middle aged), who won't take their necessary medications because the impotence side effect is determinetal to their egos and self esteem. If you have adult men with real responsibilities and more "maturity" behaving that way I could certainly see Jesus thinking that way (not that it makes it okay, I'm just shocked.)

• Love 6

I really hate how this show acts like Callie's story isn't complete without a man. First there was her foster brother, Brandon(ick) then there was Wyatt and AJ and now Aaron. I may or may not have forgotten someone in between, but this girl is still so wounded and has so much internal work to do. I just wish they'd let her be single for a good long while so that she can work on herself. I also don't like her with Aaron because he's been trying to put the moves on her even when she was involved with someone else.

I may be alone but I didn't like the scene between Callie and Aaron's mom because once again it felt like another Super Callie comes to save the day story. I would much rather have seen Aaron rebuild the relationship with his mother. The Fosters can't resist the urge to make Callie the hero of every one of her stories. It's so boring. Can she just be a regular teenager?

• Love 7
56 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

Callie, boundary-crosser extraordinaire.  I hated that her inappropriate behavior was rewarded by not only a new sexual relationship, but also Aaron's mother seeing the light.  I didn't buy that a stranger butting in would have that overnight effect.

The way I see it (in order for me to stay sane when it comes to Callie) is that Aaron's mother was well on her way to accepting her son as her son. It wasn't that Callie changed her mind or had her see the light, or that it was an overnight effect. She just helped to bridge the gap toward acceptance. That being said, it's another example of Super Callie saving someone, so I also am on your side of it being stupid and annoying (ok, I think it's stupid and annoying). 

As for your other point, I do agree. It also sucks for AJ, who will have turned out to be right with Callie and Aaron. They can't have AJ cheat and be interested in another girl first and break up with Callie for her actions with Aaron to be ok. She's had feelings for him, and I highly doubt that she was in the dark until this episode about her feelings for him. And I knew they were getting together; I just didn't think her and Aaron would literally get together the episode after her breakup. And I'm pretty sure only a day or two has passed since their breakup anyway (definitely no more than a week), so it makes it even worse.  

1 minute ago, Lovely said:

I also don't like her with Aaron because he's been trying to put the moves on her even when she was involved with someone else.

Same. Aaron as a character is alright, but there's a lot of issues with him as well. First off, he's about nineteen. It's not that much older than Callie, but she's still in high school while he's in college for law. He may not be as mature, but he should know that what they're doing is wrong, and yet he's willing to go along with her antics. He also has openly flirted with Callie multiple times, which isn't a crime or anything, but it's morally wrong. It doesn't leave that great of an impression on him, and certainly not with him knowing that AJ and Callie just broke up and he seemed to perk up immediately. But, Callie did make the move at the end of the episode to show that they seem to now be a couple. He did try to dismiss the moment and seemed to be willing to move on, so their next step in their relationship is on Callie. However, that still doesn't excuse Aaron's actions. I still like the guy, but I know his character is extremely faulty. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, alexvillage said:

As someone who has been treated for seizures, I will say that my neurologist had me on medication (not the one mentioned above, so I cannot speak to that drug specifically) for a determined period of time.  I think it's hard to make the blanket statement that specific medications can or cannot be taken for "x" years.  So dependent on individual circumstances and physicians.  It was also necessary to comply with laws around driving and have seizures (in my state you cannot drive until you have been treated and then removed from the meds for a specific time frame).  Also, he has made it abundantly clear that when you start to begin the process to come off these seizure meds, they have to be done in stages - you cannot pull off cold turkey due to likely complications. Sorry if that got off topic.

Edited by SoCal Mema
  • Love 5

I'm not here for Callie/Aaron. He's a nice character but he encourages Callie's worst trait by feeding her savior complex. I'm still Team AJ even though the truth is AJ deserved better.

Callie's conversation with Aaron's mom was enlightening. I don't know any trans people in my real life (or maybe I do and don't know it) but that scene made me think about what it would be like if one of my nieces were transgender. I love them unconditionally and nothing could ever change that but I admit I've spent their lives thinking about watching them walk down the aisle in their wedding dresses or the day they give birth to their own children. It would take me a while to let go of those images and embrace a new reality. I like how Aaron's family was shown on a continuum of acceptance: his brother was fine, Mom was struggling and Dad was fighting it.

The Lena/Jesus/Emma sex conversation was excellent television. Awkward, heartfelt, funny and serious all at the same time. I throw criticism at the writers on a regular basis but I thought that scene was pitch perfect.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, SoCal Mema said:

As someone who has been treated for seizures, I will say that my neurologist had me on medication (not the one mentioned above, so I cannot speak to that drug specifically) for a determined period of time.  I think it's hard to make the blanket statement that specific medications can or cannot be taken for "x" years.  So dependent on individual circumstances and physicians.  It was also necessary to comply with laws around driving and have seizures (in my state you cannot drive until you have been treated and then removed from the meds for a specific time frame).  Also, he has made it abundantly clear that when you start to begin the process to come off these seizure meds, they have to be done in stages - you cannot pull off cold turkey due to likely complications. Sorry if that got off topic.

I might be reading this wrong so, to be clear, I have not watched the episode. I understood that the doctor said that Jesus would be on the meds for 5 years, not that they would re-evaluate the situation and see how things are going, or that this is a *likely* period of time. I find it hard to believe that a doctor would say that this is the time, period. 

Maybe I am being too literal. 

I do know people who were able to stop meds too. I just don't know of a doctor who would say that a medication treating a neurological condition would assert that after 5 years all would be swell.

This is one of the things that irritate me about this show. The lack of real research for the sake of drama. It is the same with Callie: she is a messed up girl, as it would be realistic for her to be, with all the trauma. But then they show her as someone who can be the ultimate influence on another person's growth, and that other person will be saved because of Callie's words, example and actions. Not in a subtle way, as it is possible, but in a very explicit way. Then she messes up again. It is very inconsistent and unrealistic.

As someone already pointed out, teenagers with adult problems. The writers are, sometimes, writing for the actors (who are older, presumably more mature, I assume), not for the characters

• Love 1
1 hour ago, marceline said:

Callie's conversation with Aaron's mom was enlightening. I don't know any trans people in my real life (or maybe I do and don't know it) but that scene made me think about what it would be like if one of my nieces were transgender. I love them unconditionally and nothing could ever change that but I admit I've spent their lives thinking about watching them walk down the aisle in their wedding dresses or the day they give birth to their own children. It would take me a while to let go of those images and embrace a new reality. I like how Aaron's family was shown on a continuum of acceptance: his brother was fine, Mom was struggling and Dad was fighting it.

I agree, it would be quite difficult.  I just think that Callie had no place in commenting on any of it, not to her friend's parents at the birthday dinner, and Aaron said as much to her.  She doesn't get to swoop in and dictate how anyone else should feel/act.  I wonder how fast she'll move on now that she "fixed" that situation.  As Lovely said, she should put the brakes on solving other people's dilemmas and work on her own. 

• Love 1

Well, I guess this was an interesting episode. Complete again with the Adams-Foster kids making really stupid decisions. 

I was liking Brandon more this season, but you lost the list? Really? Even so, marshmallows? I mean, I was laughing, but dude! You're killing me, Smalls. Also, why did he keep the letter in his pants? 

I'm also trying hard to hold onto my Mariana love, but it's waning as she's coming off as really entitled and making impulsive decisions that affect others.

Oh, Jesus. SMH. I'm not surprised. Like @Scarlett45 said, it was realistic that a sixteen year old boy who wants to have sex with his girlfriend, but can't due to the side effects of medicine wouldn't be considering the long-term effect and would make a reckless decision like that. Unfortunately, people do it all the time, and not just with seizure meds. As an example, a lot of people don't like the way their antidepressants make them feel and they can lower sex drives too. But it's so so important to a) check with a doctor before doing it and b) wean yourself off. I can't stress that enough. So I fear for Jesus' safety and it's sad especially seeing how far he's come. 

I'm also ready for the abortion to come to light. I get why Emma didn't tell Jesus at first. But now it's just going to be so much worse because a lot of people know about it and he was kept in the dark. Not that I think Jesus would have wanted to keep the baby, but I think he would have wanted to be consulted about it. I do have to say how much Noah C is killing this arc.

Jude. Jude Jude Jude. I'm glad he made the right decision in the end (although I think Noah was being a bit sanctimonious about it tbh). It wouldn't have helped matters. Unfortunately it would have made it worse. That being said, leaving a dildo on Jude's chair is more than just saying stupid comments.

And now for Callie. Of course Callie and Aaron will be together now. I like Aaron by himself, but Callie needs to chill.  Although she seems to listen to Aaron more than she has other boyfriends. I'm glad Aaron's mom is coming around. It was obvious it's still hard for the parents, however, repeatedly calling Aaron Allison was a big no-no and was pissing me off. That being said, Callie did need to stay out of it. 

Should I roll my eyes at the fact that Troy's GF's ex-hubby is now getting involved? I'm channeling Luke from GG when I say this, but shit, drop another sucker in this mess. 

Edited by JaggedLilPill
  • Love 1

Uh. So what happened to Diamond? Did Steph end up taking her in to give a statement? Did she lure the other GA girl into a pimp-trap?  Is that story dropped now? Wtf?

• Love 1

I could understand him not taking his meds if he didn't make the mistake of not taking his ADHD meds and having bad side effects .. can anyone in this family ever just learn from mistakes ??

emma looks exactly like Haley ( Bethany joy lenz ) from one tree hill 

6 hours ago, morakot said:

I don't know how Lena managed as an assistant vice principal responsible for tens if not hundreds of minors when she is so overwhelmed handling five teens at home.

Different level of emotional investment, I would guess.

18 hours ago, omgsowicked said:

I find it hard to believe that Brandon was too ditzy to handle a shopping trip. Even if he didn't have the list, he should know what his family buys by now, and remember some of the things they were out of. He should also know that they're not rolling in the dough, so if anything he should have bought less just to be safe. They just had him living with a single mother, dude can't handle buying bread? Dumb. Also dumb was him not throwing Emma's letter out. Now Stef knows, and she'll tell Lena. Hopefully they'll go to Emma and tell her to tell Jesus because he'll probably ask Emma about it anyway, now that he can read (woo-hoo!). I find it interesting that Marianna was going around stealing pills and now Jesus is refusing his.

I also don't believe Brandon can't handle a shopping trip. Doesn't he know what food they typically have in the house? When I was a kid I'd have to go shopping with my parents, so by the time I was 18 I could have done the family shopping easily. Do Stef and Lena not make the kids help with the shopping?

Him losing the letter and Stef finding it was TV 101.  And something that wouldn't have happened if Stef and Lena made their kids to their own laundry too. They have five kids and don't make them help with crap like that?

9 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

I could have done without Lena's lengthy description of what Jesus could and could not do.  Stef and Lena's acceptance of the older kids having sex at home, maybe good in theory, but in practice, looks like it's going to backfire with Jesus. 

That conversation was super awkward. Couldn't Jesus have just talked to his doctor directly at his next appointment or something? Or called himself? If you're old enough to have sex, you're old enough to ask your doctor questions about it.

• Love 7

It is ludicrous that at this late date, when Brandon and Callie are seniors and Jesus and Mariana are close behind, they haven't been helping with household chores.  It's been awhile since we've seen any of them at jobs, and none have been hitting the books really hard lately.  Callie is gallivanting around playing detective and crusader, plenty of free time.  Pitch in, get part-time jobs, volunteer, and have less time for sex and mischief.  This really bothers me about this show. 

And Jesus definitely should be talking to his doctor, not his mom, about what he can and can't do sexually.  I know the show wants to present open communication, but there are realities of parent-teen dynamics.  Most boys would rather die than have their mom spell out positions.  And Emma said she was comfortable with the discussion, and she may feel that Lena is supportive and accepting, but again, many teens would not be open to that.  Plus, she has just had a birth control failure and an abortion, is she really super into it?  Maybe I'm too far removed from all of that, but it doesn't seem realistic. 

• Love 5

This house is filled with a bunch of free loaders. The kids don't help with ANYthing. Brandon only did the shopping because he wanted the garage.

Callie needs to BUTT OUT of other people's affairs. When will she learn. 

Stef and Lena finally let Noah back into Jude's life, and this is how Jude thanks them? By defying authority and basically acting like a little shit? He has gone soooo downhill for me the past two seasons. 

Lena suggesting that they lighten up on the rules with kids, made me laugh. Far as I can tell the kids have no rules already. Or consequences, or responsibilities. And it's all Lena and Stef's fault. 

2 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

And Jesus definitely should be talking to his doctor, not his mom, about what he can and can't do sexually.  I know the show wants to present open communication, but there are realities of parent-teen dynamics.  Most boys would rather die than have their mom spell out positions.  And Emma said she was comfortable with the discussion, and she may feel that Lena is supportive and accepting, but again, many teens would not be open to that.  Plus, she has just had a birth control failure and an abortion, is she really super into it?  Maybe I'm too far removed from all of that, but it doesn't seem realistic. 

I don't even care if some would find it realistic. I thought it was skeevy, nonetheless. She should have asked the doc to talk to him.

• Love 2

How are the kids NOT helping out around the house? There are five of them and they're all teenagers. I did a shit ton of chores by the time I was in 5th grade, and there were only two kids in that family! I know they're busy with their court dates and stalkers and affairs and major injuries and such things, but they cant find sometime in between that to do the damn dishes?

Callie didn't do anything really stupid this episode, but I raise my eyebrows at her already going off with Aaron right after her and AJ split up. And her constant need to but into other peoples business and lecture people is REALLY annoying. Granted, the dinner was super awkward and I guess its nice she's trying to have Aarons back, but still, she hardly knows Aaron, doesn't know his family, and is clearly prickly about these kinds of issues, which makes her not the best person to get involved in this family drama. I did like the conversation with Aarons mom, and how much it hurt "losing" her daughter, and how she felt like she never really knew him at all. Its a lot more interesting then the dad being your typical closed minded asshole. You could tell the mom was trying, and still loved Aaron very much, but she was struggling with something she doesn't really understand. How long has it been since Aaron came out as trans? What's the history? Callie doesn't know, and neither do we. Aaron is lucky that he has drama. That's just Callies type!

The sex talk with Jesus, Emma and Lena was all kinds of awkward. This is why you have a doctor, Jesus.

I wonder if Brandon dropped that list off where he knew someone would find it, because he's over keeping this huge secret.

The Brandon shopping thing seems realistic to me. The first time I went shopping for myself I went around the store picking things out, thinking to myself things like, "Oh, those cookies I like are only 5 bucks, no big deal, might as well get it." "The name brand is only 50 cents more than the store brand Mom always buys, I'll get that instead."  "These are on sale? Sweet!"

I got quite the shock at the cash register.

If you're not keeping a tally, just how much items that cost a little extra or a few 'luxury' items like a giant box of candy can add up.

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, Perfect Xero said:

The Brandon shopping thing seems realistic to me. The first time I went shopping for myself I went around the store picking things out, thinking to myself things like, "Oh, those cookies I like are only 5 bucks, no big deal, might as well get it." "The name brand is only 50 cents more than the store brand Mom always buys, I'll get that instead."  "These are on sale? Sweet!"

If you're not keeping a tally, just how much items that cost a little extra or a few 'luxury' items like a giant box of candy can add up.

Ha, same. Now, I love saving that little bit buying store brand vs name brand. lol

56 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

How are the kids NOT helping out around the house? There are five of them and they're all teenagers. I did a shit ton of chores by the time I was in 5th grade, and there were only two kids in that family! I know they're busy with their court dates and stalkers and affairs and major injuries and such things, but they cant find sometime in between that to do the damn dishes?

Seriously. A family is a unit; everyone should pitch in. Age-appropriate chores. My siblings and I dusted, vacuumed, washed dishes, etc., and when we hit middle school, if we wanted our athletic uniforms clean, we had to make sure they were washed. Same with PE clothes. If we forgot, my mom didn't bail us out. Life lessons and adult prep (especially for college; so many freshmen gawking at the washers and dryers, clueless. I got a kick out of it).

Another, 'just okay' episode for me.

I like that they didn't drag out 'Lena is overwhelmed at dealing with all the kids alone,' but there was like, zero build up, so, it fell flat for me. Lena eating her feelings with the marshmallows Brandon bought was funny, though.

Lena's convo with Jesus and Emma was perfectly awkward. Secondhand embarrassment as a viewer. I see consequences in Jesus' future for skipping his anticonvulsants...not good.

Super Callie saves all, I guess. Whatever. I don't like her with Aaron. She sure moves on quickly. Honestly, I couldn't care less if she ends up behind bars at this point. I'm so over her.

I agreed with Noah about Jude, but he was holier-than-thou about it.

Mariana and her continual 'puppy dog eyes' requests is grating now.

I'm sure Anchor Beach (why are they calling it 'ABCC' all of a sudden?) won't end up as a private school, just like we all knew Stef and Lena weren't going to lose the house. Yawn.

Aside from Jesus' story line and the moms' rain make-out session, I have not enjoyed 4B very much. They're losing me, and I never thought I'd say that. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I could understand him not taking his meds if he didn't make the mistake of not taking his ADHD meds and having bad side effects .. can anyone in this family ever just learn from mistakes ??

Apparently not.  Not one of them learns a damn thing, ever.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, izabella said:
10 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Apparently not.  Not one of them learns a damn thing, ever.

Agreed. It's like watching a formulaic show, only the formula sucks.

• Love 2
On 3/29/2017 at 4:09 PM, ShadowFacts said:

I agree, it would be quite difficult.  I just think that Callie had no place in commenting on any of it, not to her friend's parents at the birthday dinner, and Aaron said as much to her.  She doesn't get to swoop in and dictate how anyone else should feel/act.  I wonder how fast she'll move on now that she "fixed" that situation.  As Lovely said, she should put the brakes on solving other people's dilemmas and work on her own. 

Agree 100 percent. The way she jumped in and started lecturing was infuriating. I kept thinking, "Child you are a guest in their home and you don't know shit. Shut up and compliment the food." Aaron brought her along as a buffer. The buffer's job is to reduce tension not crank it up to 11. Callie uses other people's problems to distract from her own. It's part of the reason I don't like the idea of her and Aaron. He feeds her savior complex.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, alexvillage said:

I might be reading this wrong so, to be clear, I have not watched the episode. I understood that the doctor said that Jesus would be on the meds for 5 years, not that they would re-evaluate the situation and see how things are going, or that this is a *likely* period of time. I find it hard to believe that a doctor would say that this is the time, period. 

Maybe I am being too literal. 

I do know people who were able to stop meds too. I just don't know of a doctor who would say that a medication treating a neurological condition would assert that after 5 years all would be swell.

This is one of the things that irritate me about this show. The lack of real research for the sake of drama. It is the same with Callie: she is a messed up girl, as it would be realistic for her to be, with all the trauma. But then they show her as someone who can be the ultimate influence on another person's growth, and that other person will be saved because of Callie's words, example and actions. Not in a subtle way, as it is possible, but in a very explicit way. Then she messes up again. It is very inconsistent and unrealistic.

As someone already pointed out, teenagers with adult problems. The writers are, sometimes, writing for the actors (who are older, presumably more mature, I assume), not for the characters

You're spot on.  I wasn't trying to be antagonistic about it.  Even when you start getting weened off the meds, anything can happen and could affect a prognosis (or ability to drive).  I also don't believe, and I've never been told either, that a doc would say, "well, after 5 years, you're done".  If you're tailoring off the drug(s) and you have another seizure, you're just back at square one again.

This show annoys me on so many levels.  I only watch because my daughter watches, and even she rolls her eyes at all the drama (she's a high school senior); however, she realizes it is just a television show. 

20 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

I completely agree. Even if he's gone shopping with Stef, Lena, or Mike before, he may not have paid attention to the final cost.  I did some of the shopping as a teenager, and even when I was given a strict budget and list, I managed to sneak a treat or two in there. I'm not surprised that an 18/19 year old boy bought things that weren't on the list or that he lost the list. 

Honestly, I thought having Brandon do the grocery shopping was a great idea. He may need a good grocery store tutorial, but I hope this doesn't excuse him from helping out. 

Years ago, there was an episode of Roseanne where Roseanne takes one of her daughters to the grocery store to teach her how to shop. I don't remember much of this episode, I haven't seen it since it first aired and I was a child at the time, but one of the lessons involved Roseanne buying store brand cereal, taking it home, and putting it in a name brand box. I think it also discussed coupons. 

• Love 1

with all the complaints about brandon shopping, remember it is brandon after all, he's not known for making the best decisions or being smart, so don't over think it

Oh, please, give me a break! An 18 year old needs "tutoring" shopping for groceries? I agree that he may not be very savvy in choosing brands and stuff, but he not only lost the list (WTF?! That's literally the only thing he had to do, follow that stupid list!), he apparently just bought mainly junk food and didn't even think they eat chicken at dinner. He could have even called one of his moms to check what items he had missed when he stupidly "lost" that list. Like you know, any normal person would have done. He's an idiot. 

But the most idiotic thing he did was forgetting Jesus's letter in his pants!! Seriously??!! Did he do it on purpose? That's the only reason I could think of.

• Love 4

While I liked the scenes with Aaron and his family, I have never liked Aaron and Callie together because he pursued her even though he knew she had a boyfriend. 

Was this the first episode where Callie directly called either of her moms by "Mama" or "Mom"? She addressed Lena as "Mama" twice. I don't remember that happening before. 

How can the 5 teenagers not be helping around the house? The opening credits even show the Foster Family chore list. 

I hope that Mike doesn't get his heart broken in two different ways. 

I think that Noah Centineo is doing a very good job portraying a teen with TBI. I hope that the show doesn't go for a quick fix and keeps showing the ramifications. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, LisaM said:

While I liked the scenes with Aaron and his family, I have never liked Aaron and Callie together because he pursued her even though he knew she had a boyfriend. 

Was this the first episode where Callie directly called either of her moms by "Mama" or "Mom"? She addressed Lena as "Mama" twice. I don't remember that happening before. 

How can the 5 teenagers not be helping around the house? The opening credits even show the Foster Family chore list. 

I hope that Mike doesn't get his heart broken in two different ways. 

I think that Noah Centineo is doing a very good job portraying a teen with TBI. I hope that the show doesn't go for a quick fix and keeps showing the ramifications. 

Agreed. And yes, Callie addressed one of her moms as such to her face for the first time. :) And this is why Brallie needs to be dead.

7 hours ago, LisaM said:

I know Callie's said it at least once this season, but I can't remember which episode it was in. And I'm positive it was also toward Lena. It's confusing between Mom and Mama because sometimes they call Lena Mama and there have been some instances where Stef's been called Mama. 

On 4/5/2017 at 1:45 AM, omgsowicked said:

I came across a photo of the actor recently... he cut his hair!

Why???!!!!!!NOOOOO!!!!!!

On 4/4/2017 at 3:26 PM, Lady Calypso said:

I know Callie's said it at least once this season, but I can't remember which episode it was in. And I'm positive it was also toward Lena. It's confusing between Mom and Mama because sometimes they call Lena Mama and there have been some instances where Stef's been called Mama. 

I though "Mama" had always been Lena, and "Mom" Steff. Even Steff calls Lena Mama sometimes.

• Love 1