Type keyword(s) to search

It's Time to Boot Kevin Off This Is Us

• Start Topic

I can't say that I agree with the gist of this article (that Kevin needs to go), but this paragraph pointed out one of the most frustrating scenes (to me) in this show:

But it goes deeper, y'all. Because even though there are established playwrights working on this show, the scripts are blithely unconcerned with how the theatre business works. No actor would ever, EVER storm into a theatre critic's office and beg for a review. No TV star's dressing room would ever be as accessible as Kevin's is, with people surprising him all the time, no matter the venue.

It was a bad writing choice to do this and it took a pretty serious shot at Kevin's credibility in at least this viewer's eyes.

So, while I don't think the show needs to get rid of Kevin (there are other characters who really need to go before we even think of taking the Big Three down to the Big Two), I do hope the writers get their heads out of their nether regions when it comes to him.

• Love 2

Maybe it's  time to get rid of the writers who come up with such bullshit scenarios. Me, I like watching Kevin. Justin Hartley was one of the three reasons I tuned into this show in the first place. He's the sole reason at least two people I know (one being my mom) keep watching at all. Kevin is a narcissistic golden boy, but he is endlessly charming and representative of real life guys I know. I don't always like him, but he often amuses me, and has an inherent sweetness. And he's so pretty. 

Edited by luna1122
  • Love 23
8 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

Maybe it's  time to get rid of the writers who come up with such bullshit scenarios. Me, I like watching Kevin. Justin Hartley was one of the three reasons I tuned into this show in the first place. He's the sole reason at least two people I know (one being my mom) keep watching at all. Kevin is a narcissistic golden boy, but he is endlessly charming and representative of real life guys I know. I don't always like him, but he often amuses me, and has an inherent sweetness. And he's so pretty. 

I don't mind Kevin-in fact, I frequently like him.  And I agree that the "Kevin problem" is not Justin Hartley, but the writers who write the character.  The Sloane/Olivia triangle didn't work because Kevin was written so badly in regard to Olivia (and, well, Olivia was pretty awful).  I can't get into the Sophie story because it isn't written in a way that I believe that Kevin carried a torch for her (and the two actors have zippo chemistry).  

But I think Kevin is sweet with Kate and, even though running out on his own play was completely over the top, I enjoy his relationship with Randall.  Since these same writers have only given us the slightest bit of a relationship between Kate and Randall so far, the Big Three would fall apart without Kevin.

• Love 10

THANK YOU. When Kevin ditched his play on opening night--leaving literally everyone else who had invested in the play, including his co-star, hanging with no excuse or apology--I found myself hollering at the t.v. I couldn't believe they played that decision like a noble sacrifice! Double Dick with Bacon from the Dollar Menu, INDEED.

• Love 2

I like Kevin and Hartley and don't think the show would be better with only two siblings and more Beth.  

I think the glaring problems with how Kevin is written affects all of the characters.  They're all alternately insufferable twits and really likable.  

Edited by Guest

I don't think Kevin needs to be eliminated, just tweaked. For example we could see more of his interaction with Randall's kids. I liked the scene that brought us the title of the show. Just making him a little less self involved and give him more plots that aren't about who he's sleeping with because I haven't found any of his love interests remotely compelling.

But, yeah, if you're a theatre fan, Kevin's story chafes. I know his run to be with Randall was a Capital M "moment" but leaving Sloane hanging on stage alone was horrible.

• Love 8

I do not agree with the article at all. I agree that Kevin is not the best written character. Neither is Kate. In fact the best written character is Randall and he is very well written. It seems the writers devote so much time and attention to Randall and getting him right that they don't have much time for any of the other characters. And certainly not Kate or Kevin. Everyone else has been pretty one note although I do think in the beginning Jack and Rebecca's story was a balanced portrayal of a couple in love.

• Love 9

I think I agree with some of the premise that Kevin is the weak spot.  So far, he doesn't interest me much, certainly not his show biz travails nor his sexcapades.  Beyond that we have only gotten glimpses of his middle child syndrome in the flashbacks, which were okay but not super compelling.  I think in the present scenes he can be charming at times.  The actor isn't of the same caliber as Randall's actor, and the writing of course has spotlighted Randall and his family.  So I have to give a grade of Incomplete to Kevin, and hope for better.  It's not time to boot him, it's time to maybe reboot him a little.

• Love 6

I actually find Kate to be the weakest spot.  She is whiny and bitchy, she is not nice or charming, or she has no career or ambition.  They really haven't evolved her character beyond being fat and miserable

Kevin at least has the push/pull relationship with Randall

Edited by aw86
  • Love 15

This is really dumb. You can't have ying without your yang. Good things are only recognizable when compared to bad things. That's life buddy.

Maybe Kevin is in there for all of us assholes to have somebody to relate too instead of the perfect Jack or William or Randall.

It seems that Kevin and Toby get all the hate. Why is that?

• Love 3

I'm hoping that next season gives us more interaction between the Big Three. I realized during the last episode that we've barely seen real interaction between Randall and Kate. We got some good stuff from Kate and Kevin earlier in the season but I think Randall and his story moved to the frontburner. I don't disagree with that but he naturally got a lot of character work because we needed to see how he became a part of this family.

• Love 1

Ill-conceived and poorly written character. Weak and limited actor.

Seems to be little interest in the character on the writing staff. If they were, things would have been different this season. And sometimes writers give material based on the actor's ability, which I think in this case is rather limited. Ironically, given the "story" Kevin has, he might be the resident pretty boy, because I guess people think he's great looking. To me, it's just another way in which he is very bland.

Not a fan.

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, HeyThere83 said:

Seems to be little interest in the character on the writing staff. If they were, things would have been different this season. And sometimes writers give material based on the actor's ability, which I think in this case is rather limited. Ironically, given the "story" Kevin has, he might be the resident pretty boy, because I guess people think he's great looking. To me, it's just another way in which he is very bland.

Not a fan.

I haven't seen Justin Hartley in anything else, so I'm not quite ready to put too much blame on the actor--although I will admit that there are certain things (like perhaps the Sophie situation) that I wonder if another actor could make work.

But, yeah....the writing.   I've seem (too) many shows where decent actors are brought down by bad writing and, at least for Kevin, that is a problem.  I agree with the others that it seems like the writers are currently putting all their eggs in the basket labeled RANDALL--which I think gave us an interesting character in Randall, but works to the detriment of the other characters.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

I haven't seen Justin Hartley in anything else, so I'm not quite ready to put too much blame on the actor--although I will admit that there are certain things (like perhaps the Sophie situation) that I wonder if another actor could make work.

But, yeah....the writing.   I've seem (too) many shows where decent actors are brought down by bad writing and, at least for Kevin, that is a problem.  I agree with the others that it seems like the writers are currently putting all their eggs in the basket labeled RANDALL--which I think gave us an interesting character in Randall, but works to the detriment of the other characters.

I first saw him on his first gig...Passions. He was probably best there, to be honest. I especially thought he completely wasted the role of Patrick on Revenge. That role called for a serious, mysterious, brooding type. Not sure why he was hired for that role when he has never been able to pull that off, imo. His shtick is sarcasm (basically playing himself) and every role does not call for that. I'm assuming Kevin is supposed to be a character where you get the impression there is something more beneath the surface. However, unless it is literally written in his script, it would not be apparent.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, HeyThere83 said:

I first saw him on his first gig...Passions. He was probably best there, to be honest. I especially thought he completely wasted the role of Patrick on Revenge. That role called for a serious, mysterious, brooding type. Not sure why he was hired for that role when he has never been able to pull that off, imo. His shtick is sarcasm (basically playing himself) and every role does not call for that. I'm assuming Kevin is supposed to be a character where you get the impression there is something more beneath the surface. However, unless it is literally written in his script, it would not be apparent.

I'm not saying this as an excuse or an argument for his performance on TIU, but he has said multiple times that Kevin is basically...Justin Hartley.  I will say when I hear an actor say that about a role (or someone say that about an actor and his/her role) it makes me, I don't know, a little nervous for the performance or something.  My fear--and I've seen this in other such situations--that the actor becomes maybe a bit too comfortable and their performance starts to go a bit flat.  Then, when their role is given something challenging, it seems to be hard for them to sort of break out of themselves for the performance.

I guess my hope would be that the writers give Justin Hartley something challenging now (er, season 2), while the show is still relatively young.  I would imagine that it is much easier to step up to the plate in the first few seasons instead of the 5th or 6th.

34 minutes ago, HeyThere83 said:

His shtick is sarcasm

I don't think I've ever seen him do sarcasm.  He usually seems very earnest to me.  The shows I've seen him on have all suffered from lame writing, though, so I have no idea what he's capable of.  I think the role of Kevin could be played by a thousand actors and all have the same flatness issue.

The only other role I knew him from was Young & Restless, where he replaced an actor I liked very much. I didn't expect to much care for a replacement. Within a week, i accepted him fully. The role was of a dark, broody character who was also sarcastic and quippy, and he sold it all for me. Do I think he's on par talentwise with sterling brown or ron Cephus jones? Absolutely not. Do I think he's as talented as Chrissy, Mandy or milo? Um, yeah, absolutely. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I don't think I've ever seen him do sarcasm.  He usually seems very earnest to me.  The shows I've seen him on have all suffered from lame writing, though, so I have no idea what he's capable of.  I think the role of Kevin could be played by a thousand actors and all have the same flatness issue.

Really? Hmmm....I feel I see that all the time. Other than that....boredom (because he knows the shows were not hits)<------which is no excuse. There is just a general lack of emotion and range for me. Even though he's been on shows with lackluster writing, I feel he has been given opportunities to show SOMETHING...ANYTHING other than the usual. In certain scenes where I'm supposed to really FEEL something, I never do, in part because I don't believe his characters are really feeling anything. And sometimes I end up laughing when I am not supposed to. That happened in the scene where he was talking to the widow at the funeral. I was laughing because I thought he was laughing. I think he lacks certain skills required to be a serious dramatic actor.

• Love 1

I like the actor, surprisingly, as I didn't care for his performance on Revenge; I think the writing had a fun opportunity with Kevin's storyline at the beginning of the season and kind of wasted it with shticky, non-credible choices. I don't need Kevin to be killed off, and he's hardly the show's only problem (don't get me started on Jack The Perfect), but it's like the writing doesn't know what to do with him (this ex-wife storyline is...not it) and just lets him tread water with these unfunny B plots.

• Love 4

I don't remotely agree with the article. Love Kevin's overall plot.  Yes, there are times that make me cringe but I have sympathy with the character.  I probably was "sold" during The Pool when the younger version when on a rant ending with"Oh yeah, he's dead."

• Love 7
2 hours ago, HeyThere83 said:

Not a fan.

This. He's just bland. I don't care enough about him to care if he goes or stays. I'm not sure I'd notice. 

I agree the leaving-Sloane-alone-on-the-stage thing was ludicrous. But mostly, nothing he does matters.

The character I like least, and I know I'm in the minority here, is Beth. As another poster said, she exists to do little but react to Randall and William. And her earnestness when she's defending Randall annoys me. I'd like to see her develop a life next season.

• Love 2

Well, I've enjoyed his character, and his acting. The episode where he talked to his nieces about death and how everyone is a part of your story was beautiful and he delivered that monologue as well as any of the other actors have delivered theirs.

That speech did make me tear up.

• Love 10

I think his story was given the least thought and attention by the writers and it showed, but I think there's still a place for the character on the show if they would give him more than 2 seconds thought when plotting. I really love Justin Hartley and I think he's doing great in the role. 

• Love 2

I disagree with the article. First, I like Kevin though some of his plots have been really questionable this season.  Second, I don't think he is in any way responsible for Olivia leaving the play - she ran off for a month after she was a total jerk, not him.

8 hours ago, marceline said:

I don't think Kevin needs to be eliminated, just tweaked. For example we could see more of his interaction with Randall's kids. I liked the scene that brought us the title of the show. Just making him a little less self involved and give him more plots that aren't about who he's sleeping with because I haven't found any of his love interests remotely compelling.

This.  Although I did like Sloane the best of Kevin's girlfriends.  

One of my favorite scenes was when Kevin babysat his nieces and had that great heart to heart with William.  We even learned that he's not a bad painter (another plot line they scrapped) when given the chance.  

I think they put too much emphasis on Kevin's love life, especially his relationship with Olivia, which flat out sucked, and added nothing concrete to the story.  Kevin's plot was really interesting at first; someone who's tired of coasting through his career based on looks and stupidity, and wanting something more.  The man gave the middle finger to his network, his boss, even his audience, which should have had major consequences for his career.  In reality, he probably would have been blacklisted from any decent theater production, no matter how off-Broadway it was.  He lucked out getting the play, but they introduced Olivia and all her bullshit, and it just went downhill from there.  Sophie adds nothing to the show and they could get rid of her, tbh.  

I think Kevin is capable of deeper stuff, but they keep sidelining him with this boring superficial mess.  Hope that changes next season.

• Love 5

I think Kevin should be fulfilling the role the writers  jacked up with the love quadrangle mess: he's the Jan Brady. The parent are so focused on fixing Kate and Randall that Kevin's left to drown in the community pool. How does he compensate? He's an attention whore. He needs the attention from fans, women... because he feels deprived from childhood. If they can't focus Kevin as motivated by the need for attention, it doesn't work. 

That, and these unrealistic stories like Kevin bowing out of his opening night or Kate without a job affording an expensive camp.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, SueB said:

I don't remotely agree with the article. Love Kevin's overall plot.  Yes, there are times that make me cringe but I have sympathy with the character.  I probably was "sold" during The Pool when the younger version when on a rant ending with"Oh yeah, he's dead."

Me too. And the writers carry on the tradition of forgetting Kevin that started with his parents. Poor Kevin :)

Kevin and Kate are seriously underdeveloped and given stories that get dropped the minute they show a glimmer of potential. On the other hand, we get too much of their love lives (at best boring) and not even interaction with the other main characters.

And while I'm ranting, I would like the writers to stop having Beth act like she was Randall's mom and it would be nice if there were more times when Randall stops acting like a special snowflake to whom everything is due. There, I feel better :)

Oh, and no new baby please - otherwise I fear the two adorable little girls whose names I don't even know will get the Kevin-and-Kate treatment. 

• Love 6

I don't think they need to boot Kevin but I think either they drastically reduce his role or they figure out what the hell to do with him because the writers seem to have no clue. The same goes with Kate. Kevin's most interesting story is his relationship with his siblings not this whole acting storyline or his love life. The writers seem to want us to care about him and Sophie but when a) they introduce her out of nowhere and b) have given him 3 love interests in the course of one season it certainly doesn't make me care about him or any of these relationships. Explore his relationship with Randall more, his bitterness and anger at Rebecca, etc. He is at his most interesting when they focus on those dynamics more. Out of the 3 siblings, Randall is clearly the character/story the writers seem to have had the best grasp on and with Kevin and Kate they seem to have cared less about crafting an interesting story with them and to me, it really shows. 

• Love 2

It's Kevin that I tune in for, but by the second or third episode, it hasn't been worth my time.  Kate has been shafted just as thoroughly as Kevin has.

It's become clear this is the Randall show, and I fear, hearing that they are keeping Ron Jones on the payroll, that it will be the Jack, Randall and William show.    

I love Justin Hartley. I first saw him on Smallville, and I saw his guest spot on Cold Case where he played a serial rapist. I thought he was good in both parts. I just need the writers to shape up, IMO. 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

I think his story was given the least thought and attention by the writers and it showed, but I think there's still a place for the character on the show if they would give him more than 2 seconds thought when plotting. I really love Justin Hartley and I think he's doing great in the role. 

Can we please have a scene where Rebecca and Kevin talk/interact? What are they like together when he was a kid? Or now as grown-ups?

The show has oversold me on the Jack and Randall bonding. They got the office scene with the Math and the Dojo scene. Lovely as they were, they didn't expand on something we already get. 

They gave us a show on the Big Three, so where is it?

• Love 3
On 3/15/2017 at 1:41 PM, haje said:

Explore his relationship with Randall more, his bitterness and anger at Rebecca, etc. He is at his most interesting when they focus on those dynamics mo

This. I care about learning how Jack died because it obviously informed the relationships between the people left behind. We see that Kevin and Kate have issues with their mom and with Miguel. But until we know why, we can't understand those interactions and become invested in those relationships. 

Watching Kevin this year has been like watching a person who was on autopilot for a decade finally wake up and see his life.  His meltdown at The Manny was the first time he really "woke".  And then it's become addicting to him to figure out who the hell he really is.  He's moving on instinct in so many scenes.  And I really like it.  Like LIVING IN RANDALL's BASEMENT.  What financially secure, 36 year old does that? Kevin does.  Because Randall is HOME.  Randall is real.  I love that they had him do that.  

And the play really mattered to him.  I wish we knew more about the play.  Because what little we know is that it's about him being in contact with his dead wife who he loved so much.  And from the snippet of the end scene, at the end of the play she leaves him again.  Like whatever happens during the play has helped him deal with her death.  I just feel like somehow the whole POINT of the play and it's importance to Kevin is how he did not deal with his grief over Jack and did not deal with his divorce.  I want someone to interview Justin or the writers and find out more about that play.  I think it was important to him because it was hitting at the issues he did not have resolved.

So, instead of "less Kevin", I want more.  

And I DEFINITELY want Kevin and Rebecca to reconcile.  I do think there is an issue there.  And it goes waaaaaayyyy back.  Rebecca and Kate's issues are deep and painful but they are plain to see.  Rebecca and Randall, I think they will work through it.  Rebecca and Kevin, I don't think she sees how she affected his life.  I think she thinks he's always alright.  And he's not.  He grew up with a mother pre-occupied with two other children.  Of COURSE she loved him, but she didn't worry about him like she did the others.  And Jack didn't either.  Kevin is so attention starved but only in a relative way.  Jack and Rebecca were good parents. And the attention he DID get is probably more than many kids.  But it's all in relation to the other two.  He's much smarter than he lets on -- and we see glimpse of that.  He's aware of how relatively problem-less he was and he loves his siblings a great deal.  So him being the last to get attention makes total sense (and he knows it). But he also knows how great his parents could be and it's almost worse seeing that and not being the center of their focus than if he didn't see it at all.

We've had a ton of snippets that show:
- Kevin as a child evaluated everything in relation to his siblings
- Kevin did well with friends, girls, sports, etc...
- Even when Kevin needed attention (sleeping with his girlfriend at so young of an age), his other siblings drew his parent's attention away when they went to address it.

Which all means to me, that Kevin's story is a slower burn.  The ground-work has been laid but Kevin/Rebecca 'in depth' was pushed to S2 (or maybe S3).  If the show finished at S1, we saw Kevin really mature and these childhood issues were not addressed.  With more time, I think we'll see it.

• Love 18
53 minutes ago, SueB said:

Watching Kevin this year has been like watching a person who was on autopilot for a decade finally wake up and see his life.  His meltdown at The Manny was the first time he really "woke".  And then it's become addicting to him to figure out who the hell he really is.  He's moving on instinct in so many scenes.  And I really like it.  Like LIVING IN RANDALL's BASEMENT.  What financially secure, 36 year old does that? Kevin does.  Because Randall is HOME.  Randall is real.  I love that they had him do that.  

And the play really mattered to him.  I wish we knew more about the play.  Because what little we know is that it's about him being in contact with his dead wife who he loved so much.  And from the snippet of the end scene, at the end of the play she leaves him again.  Like whatever happens during the play has helped him deal with her death.  I just feel like somehow the whole POINT of the play and it's importance to Kevin is how he did not deal with his grief over Jack and did not deal with his divorce.  I want someone to interview Justin or the writers and find out more about that play.  I think it was important to him because it was hitting at the issues he did not have resolved.

So, instead of "less Kevin", I want more.  

And I DEFINITELY want Kevin and Rebecca to reconcile.  I do think there is an issue there.  And it goes waaaaaayyyy back.  Rebecca and Kate's issues are deep and painful but they are plain to see.  Rebecca and Randall, I think they will work through it.  Rebecca and Kevin, I don't think she sees how she affected his life.  I think she thinks he's always alright.  And he's not.  He grew up with a mother pre-occupied with two other children.  Of COURSE she loved him, but she didn't worry about him like she did the others.  And Jack didn't either.  Kevin is so attention starved but only in a relative way.  Jack and Rebecca were good parents. And the attention he DID get is probably more than many kids.  But it's all in relation to the other two.  He's much smarter than he lets on -- and we see glimpse of that.  He's aware of how relatively problem-less he was and he loves his siblings a great deal.  So him being the last to get attention makes total sense (and he knows it). But he also knows how great his parents could be and it's almost worse seeing that and not being the center of their focus than if he didn't see it at all.

We've had a ton of snippets that show:
- Kevin as a child evaluated everything in relation to his siblings
- Kevin did well with friends, girls, sports, etc...
- Even when Kevin needed attention (sleeping with his girlfriend at so young of an age), his other siblings drew his parent's attention away when they went to address it.

Which all means to me, that Kevin's story is a slower burn.  The ground-work has been laid but Kevin/Rebecca 'in depth' was pushed to S2 (or maybe S3).  If the show finished at S1, we saw Kevin really mature and these childhood issues were not addressed.  With more time, I think we'll see it.

I don't usually quote a post just to say I agree, but you said everything I meant and better :) Thank you.

• Love 2

My thoughts about Justin and his ability to carry a dramatic story aside.....

I don't see what the showrunners excuses would be for not simply switching out the useless and boring scenes Kevin (and Kate) had with other ones that would have been more useful. They could have done that. No need to wait for season 2 or 3 or whatever magic number. Especially considering it is an ensemble. If you can't manage more than one story in an ensemble you definitely have no business being hailed as brilliant or nominated for a Golden Globe. The other issue is...if you are going to choose to write a story about a kid not getting enough attention on a serious, dramatic level, then you need to actually write that. Don't try to pass off the stuff we have been shown as something heavy that needs serious screen time to show the incredible depth of the story. Have the guts to write it otherwise it just comes off as some whiny ass kid (and adult) that wanted to be an only child so the spotlight could be on them all the time. And don't be so concerned about ohhhh nobody is ever really wrong we are all just great hopeful people here tryin to do the right thing. Because in cases of kids being neglected or whatever, there is usually going to be someone in the wrong. So...pick what you are going to do and don't try to tell me Kevin has such "issues" because Rebecca didn't remember the name of his play!!!!!

• Love 3

I couldn't stand Kevin when this show started and thought he was a spoiled, whiny brat. Seriously, I thought he was the weakest link and had zero compassion or sympathy for him. The last few episodes though have melted my cold heart against him.

The fact that he put Randall first shows growth on his part, especially considering that Kevin was not being a very good brother before. I'm a sucker for anyone who puts their family above other things. I like his reconnecting with Sophie and the conflict over whether this new job will doom them again. I like the backstory of their relationship (although it does feel a little shoehorned in) and it makes me understand and like him a lot more now. They seem to be showing a little more depth to Kevin in his balancing work versus personal matters. 

• Love 1

I hate that the show hit us over the head with 'Kevin and Kate have a special connection' in the first few episodes, but then gave them zero interaction in the back-half if the season nor in any of the flashbacks to 88/89 or 95/96.

• Love 10
11 hours ago, Tiger said:

I hate that the show hit us over the head with 'Kevin and Kate have a special connection' in the first few episodes, but then gave them zero interaction in the back-half if the season nor in any of the flashbacks to 88/89 or 95/96.

There was that one time in the 1989 Christmas flashback when Kate had her appendix taken out and Kevin was distraught and clutching his side in imaginary pain.

• Love 4

I binge-watched the whole season in two weeks and was reading this board every day, but didn't dare post until I finished it. And the first place I wanted to post was here. I adore Kevin. I love everything about him. I adore the actor. I adore Kevin's relationship with Kate, with Randall, with William, with Sophie. Every time he's on the screen, he puts a smile on my face. Two of my favorite scenes have Justin on it: the one where he explains the whole concept of the show to the girls and the one he comforts Randall. Justin is amazing in those two moments. I love him so much! I would rather lose Randall than Kevin. There, I said it!

Hopefully we can keep both, though. :)

Edited by maddie965
  • Love 5
41 minutes ago, maddie965 said:

I would rather lose Randall than Kevin. There, I said it!

I could be on-board with that idea!

But realistically, I would settle for Randall getting the screen-time/writer time that Kevin got in Season 1. Just to even out the balance of the show… We've seen a load of Randall's parent issues already (and Kate's too), but mysteries abound about Kevin and his relationship with Jack and Rebecca. How about a scene with young Kevin building planes with Jack? What does Rebecca even think of Kevin – young Kevin, teen Kevin and most intriguingly, adult Kevin? We have no idea!! 

• Love 4
(edited)

I am also binge-watching, and almost done with season one. Kevin did get on my nerves at times, I'm not drawn to immature, impulsive guys, but he's growing on me as the writers let us see him more multi-faceted and not so one dimensional.  It broke my heart when he almost drowned and no one saw him and the moments of revelation from the parents was fleeting. As a teen, I didn't see what made him hate his brother so much.  It also hurt to see Randall tell his dad he knew he was a "replacement" all his life, he wasn't the "twins", how the grandparents didn't like him, etc. I'm looking forward to seeing more of how Kate became who she is now, but it does seem like the writers have to concentrate more on one character a show. Maybe next season as I catch up this weekend, will show that more.

One thing on I don't understand, Randall's adoption. They make it seem like they just took him home from the hospital, Rebecca said, "we didn't have that type of adoption", we had a firehouse adoption. She was scared of losing him to his dad at the time. That, even for the time, seems a bit odd and illegal. Is that brought out more later?

Edited by debraran
(edited)

I wouldn't get rid of the Kevin. The three siblings are a key component of the show. I just think that it is unfortunate that they cast such a poor actor as Justin Hartley in the role of Kevin. There are a lot far more talented good looking actors in Hollywood. However, it is too late and the show is stuck with him. The good news is that Dan Fogelman clearly figured out quickly where the talent on cast lies, the dramatic writing focuses around Randall, Beth, Rebecca, Jack, and to slightly lesser degree Kate, and Toby. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

I wouldn't get rid of the Kevin. The three siblings are a key component of the show. I just think that it is unfortunate that they cast such a poor actor as Justin Hartley in the role of Kevin. There are a lot far more talented good looking actors in Hollywood. However, it is too late and the show is stuck with him. The good news is that Dan Fogelman clearly figured out quickly where the talent on cast lies, the dramatic writing focuses around Randall, Beth, Rebecca, Jack, and to slightly lesser degree Kate, and Toby. 

IMO that is why they let Kevin have the painting monologue, because most likely Kevin will not be given much dramatic material to play because they know he, for lack of a better word, sucks at it. Smart choice. I completely agree with you about there being far more talented and good looking (I don't even think there's anything at all special about Justin's looks) actors in Hollywood. It has driven me crazy that for years this guy keeps getting roles that others could actually do a good job with. I think his agent works overtime.

But the irony of the writers feeling this way when it comes to Kevin....