Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E14: Comida Final

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I'm pleased Brooke won. I didn't see anything particularly nefarious here. Brooke may have fallen all over herself thanking Shirley, but if the producers didn't cut it in, it didn't make it; and I see them trying to up the tension for dramatic effect over the breakfast, so I wonder if Brooke's thanks ended up on a floor somewhere.

I don't think Brooke acted particularly entitled. These people are used to running their own kitchens and getting their own way; they're competitive and blunt in a way that really only makes sense in that milieu. Very often I think that comes across on Top Chef as entitlement, or arrogance, or a lack of compassion.

• Love 20
16 minutes ago, LucyHoneychrrch said:

I'm pleased Brooke won. I didn't see anything particularly nefarious here. Brooke may have fallen all over herself thanking Shirley, but if the producers didn't cut it in, it didn't make it; and I see them trying to up the tension for dramatic effect over the breakfast, so I wonder if Brooke's thanks ended up on a floor somewhere.

I don't think Brooke acted particularly entitled. These people are used to running their own kitchens and getting their own way; they're competitive and blunt in a way that really only makes sense in that milieu. Very often I think that comes across on Top Chef as entitlement, or arrogance, or a lack of compassion.

It's gotta be something outside that's giving people this ridiculous feeling; maybe some kind of transference! Brooke was nice, humble, and appreciative unlike some other egomaniacs who truly feel entitled for some reason! ;-)

• Love 8

Came here before even watching the episode.  Gee whiz, I'm shocked to find that Brooke won!!  And needed help to do so, unlike Shirley, who actually knows how to cook.  Oh well, at least Tom and his producers got the story they wanted to tell this season, which was obvious from the outset.  Now I don't need to bother watching the episode at all and likely will add this to the list of shows I finally dumped this year.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, whinewithwine said:

Brilliant choice by Brooke to choose Sam as sous chef.  The octopus saved her.

Looks like he made the garlic chips and cooked the octopus - which won her the title.

14 hours ago, Jamie Satyr said:

It just makes the wins of Kristen and Brooke more impressive by having to go that extra mile to take their respective seasons! ;-)

I hate LCK.  If you lose, and you are out - you are OUT!  No popping back in.  

• Love 7
(edited)
3 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Looks like he made the garlic chips and cooked the octopus - which won her the title.

I would agree if the choice made sense! Kristen was unfairly thrown "under the bus" several seasons ago giving Josie a new life quite undeserved! Kristen was obviously the best chef because no finale was as one-sided as that one where she annihilated Brooke! It was hard to watch with studio audience in tow! I just didn't care for it, but didn't mind the WIN! ;-)

Edited by Jamie Satyr
Spelling
  • Love 2

I minded it even though I really liked Kristen. That was the season where they were given points for each course and Kristen won before they even got to the final course, right? I'm really glad they went back to the format of just having the finalists cook whatever they want and being judged on the entire meal. The gimmicks and challenges are ok for the rest of the season, but I like when the winner is chosen based purely on cooking and not because of some random twist.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, heatherchandler said:

Newsflash, that's what sous chefs do.  Executive chefs compose the dish and supervise their sous chefs.

• Love 14

I stopped watching and fast-forwarded to the end once I heard Tom criticising Shirley's broth in the ramen dish. He'd already complained that there wasn't enough mint and chili in the crudo, so I knew, as soon as he didn't like the ramen, that she was toast.  I think that even if Shirley's food had been flawless Brooke would have won, though.  

I think Shirley was clever to pick Katsuji. At that point she might not have known where they'd be going to shop, and so she may well have needed him, as a Spanish speaker. He's also been proven to be a prep machine, which can only be helpful when there's a lot of food to prepare. But I'd have chosen Sheldon ahead of Casey, particularly if Shirley had a ramen dish in mind. Sheldon is the broth master.

Best things about this episode:

- the white shirt Shirley was wearing at the start and when they went shopping. Gorgeous.

- Jonathan Waxman. I have a huge crush on him, and the roast chicken at Barbuto is the best I've ever eaten.

- Shirley's mom.

• Love 3
(edited)

Came here before even watching the episode.  Gee whiz, I'm shocked to find that Brooke won!!  And needed help to do so, unlike Shirley, who actually knows how to cook.  Oh well, at least Tom and his producers got the story they wanted to tell this season, which was obvious from the outset.  Now I don't need to bother watching the episode at all and likely will add this to the list of shows I finally dumped this year.

Oh Canada, easy does it. As to "who actually knows how to cook", in Charleston, Brooke had 3 elimination wins (before the finale) and 5 quickfire wins. In Seattle season, Brooke had 5 elimination wins (so did Kristen, who obviously sucks too, while Sheldon had 3 wins, so he knows even less how to cook) before the finale and  3 quickfire wins. Pretty good for someone who does not "actually know how to cook." By the way, Shirley is no slouch herself. In New Orleans season, she won 4 eliminations and 4 quickfires and this season she had 3 elimination wins and no quickfire wins.

Shirley would have made a good redemption story too-she got knocked out only 1 round earlier than Brooke so it would have worked for the producers too. I just don't see the conspiracy and haven't all along. maybe I have too much faith in Tom's integrity on the judging. They are both high quality chefs and, based on how their fellow cheftestants act towards them, solid citizens and nice people- did any any cheftestant on any of their seasons have  bad thing to say about either of them......other than about Shirley's loud talking.

I am torn on LCK-it saved Kristen who never deserved to be eliminated-Josie being Josie meant that they had no choice. Brooke's elimination was not as egregious, but that is the rules they play by. Remember, this show does not necessarily identify the best chef-it identifies who wins this game under these set of rules. Some great chefs have been eliminated early every year....although if the chefs that make it to the end are generally very strong.

Edited to add

But I'd have chosen Sheldon ahead of Casey, particularly if Shirley had a ramen dish in mind. Sheldon is the broth master.

Supposedly, she said on WWHL, she said she picked Casey to help with dessert and not to mess with Brooke's mojo. I find that hard to believe since it was clear (at least to me) that she had the whole menu fully planned out before she got to Mexico.

Best things about this episode:

- the white shirt Shirley was wearing at the start and when they went shopping. Gorgeous.

- Jonathan Waxman. I have a huge crush on him, and the roast chicken at Barbuto is the best I've ever eaten.

- Shirley's mom.

Agreed, but I forgot to mention that I think both Shirley and Brooke are attractive, but Brooke really needs to cover up those tats! I know they are big in the restaurant world, but given the rest of her look on the show, they are very jarring. YMMV

That chicken may be the best thing I have ever eaten and the potatoes are a close second. I think he is an incredibly charming presence on tv and I wish he was the 4th judge.

Shirley's mom was pretty awesome-was she crying the whole time or was that just the reflection of her make-up.

Edited by AriAu
  • Love 9

Just some stuff that I have an opinion about:
Brooke has a resting bitch face which may account for people viewing her as entitled.  Plus she has a way of speaking that could be viewed as arrogant(?).  I have a two friends - one has RBF and is a very nice person and the other speaks as if everyone should listen to her (I finally realized she speaks just like her mom) - she is also a lovely person.

Oh my goodness!! When Shirley's mom was asking the sister how to say, "I am proud of you" in English?? That just made my eyes water! My mom doesn't speak English and I could just hear her.  Then when she hugged Shirley and said that Shirley was beautiful and then "I am proud."  Let the crying begin!!  I am going to visit my mom today!!

I hate LCK!! I want them to get rid of it.

NEVER, EVER have another veterans vs. new-comers again!!!  I hated that.

I really wanted Shirley to win but somehow thought Brooke would.  I felt Brooke had a bit more latitude in a few challenges.  

So Shirley I hope she has more success after this. And congratulations to Brooke.

• Love 8

Funniest part of the episode: they're cooking and Shirley is calling out directions and tells Casey to do (whatever). You hear Casey acknowledge it (ok, yes, or whatever she said) then immediately correct herself with a "Yes ma'am!" I have a friend, a chef, who teaches culinary arts as part of the hospitality program at a trade school (mainly high school age students). I've seen him in action, and it is drilled into those students that protocol says when in the kitchen the proper response to the chef's directions is yes/no chef/sir/ma'am.

Saddest part: Shirley's situation with her mother re: her choice of careers. That happens so much with parents, some jobs are seen as 'better' than others, and if you're not making the most money, having the best kind of job you are a failure. So happy they seem to have worked it out. I wonder if her mom actually accepted Shirley's choice a while back and didn't let her know.

Stuff we'll never find out unless we meet Shirley and ask her: I also wonder what Shirley was doing before becoming a chef at a late age, or what her family expected her to do. She mentioned doctor at one point, but that's such a stereotype I wonder if that was really the case. But there's often a grain of truth to a stereotype, Many friends of mine who are from Chinese families were expected to become doctors.

• Love 1

Shirley worked in high tech in Silicon Valley.  She has a degree in Business.

As usual, I wish we could taste the dishes.  They sounded great.

Brooke didn't bash the restaurant for not supplying the pork belly that she asked for, or for having ovens that weren't working properly.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, JeanneH said:

Funniest part of the episode: they're cooking and Shirley is calling out directions and tells Casey to do (whatever). You hear Casey acknowledge it (ok, yes, or whatever she said) then immediately correct herself with a "Yes ma'am!" I have a friend, a chef, who teaches culinary arts as part of the hospitality program at a trade school (mainly high school age students). I've seen him in action, and it is drilled into those students that protocol says when in the kitchen the proper response to the chef's directions is yes/no chef/sir/ma'am.

Saddest part: Shirley's situation with her mother re: her choice of careers. That happens so much with parents, some jobs are seen as 'better' than others, and if you're not making the most money, having the best kind of job you are a failure. So happy they seem to have worked it out. I wonder if her mom actually accepted Shirley's choice a while back and didn't let her know.

Stuff we'll never find out unless we meet Shirley and ask her: I also wonder what Shirley was doing before becoming a chef at a late age, or what her family expected her to do. She mentioned doctor at one point, but that's such a stereotype I wonder if that was really the case. But there's often a grain of truth to a stereotype, Many friends of mine who are from Chinese families were expected to become doctors.

I don't know if you watched WWHN last night, but it was really very good.  One of the call-in questioners asked Shirley if she was offended when a couple of the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills came in and kicked up a fuss about their meals (not a fan, so I have no idea of what THAT was all about, I'm sure it was some sort of silly drama over the dishes).  Shirley thought for a moment, and said "No, that's the way they eat in Orange County".  It was hilarious.  Everyone on the set cracked up, too.  Shirley just seems to have such a happy disposition...but she's serious as a heart attack about her cooking, which is great!  Loved her.

• Love 8

Kudos to Brooke - she's obviously a very good chef. Once her gimme-your-pork 'n beans were praised, it was pretty clear she was going to win.

"Speaking of, Brooke’s pettiness really seemed to manifest in her constant criticism of the loudness of Shirley’s voice. That Shirley ignored every one made me love her even more."

This. Shirley shouldn't have been expected to change the way she works just because the competition was somehow annoyed. Brooke should've saved her irritation for those flans.

- Shirley's mom.

Yeah. *drops tear*

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, Blonde Gator said:

I don't know if you watched WWHN last night, but it was really very good.  One of the call-in questioners asked Shirley if she was offended when a couple of the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills came in and kicked up a fuss about their meals (not a fan, so I have no idea of what THAT was all about, I'm sure it was some sort of silly drama over the dishes).  Shirley thought for a moment, and said "No, that's the way they eat in Orange County".  It was hilarious.  Everyone on the set cracked up, too.  Shirley just seems to have such a happy disposition...but she's serious as a heart attack about her cooking, which is great!  Loved her.

I knew it was on but I wasn't going to be able to watch, and then I forgot to set the DVR, so I've just now watched on VOD.

Whoever dressed Brooke and did her hair and make-up did her no favors.  Her make-up was particularly bad. Shirley looked so pretty. Great to see Sheldon! Glad to see Padma had to be reminded of why Jamie went home (saying she didn't remember is possibly the most real thing she said all season). So obvious Brooke is sick of the question about Kristen and Shirley of the question about the pork belly. Kristen often cooks for Padma and stays at her home? Didn't expect that. Funny about Padma and the knives (why does she lick knives). LOL Shirley's slam of the OC! Best reaction to anything on the show. John Tesar is a jerk and always will be a jerk (the sabotage question). Congratulations to Sheldon for fan favorite! (although I wish Jim had made the cut)

• Love 4

now that we have a newly crowed top-chef-all-star (a returning chef who didn't win their season), can we say good-bye now to Mr. Know-it-All Richard Blais  ?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, JeanneH said:

Glad to see Padma had to be reminded of why Jamie went home (saying she didn't remember is possibly the most real thing she said all season)

She was probably drunk. I can't remember where I read it, but both she and Tom have drinks under the judges table and they are there for a looooooong time.

(edited)
8 hours ago, AriAu said:

So Andy Cohen's vanity show actually had something of value-Brooke DID order the pork belly and it was not delivered (a provable fact)

And yet, on the episode,  Brooke admits she screwed up: “I cannot believe I forgot to order the main ingredient on my pork and beans.” (retconnning; not just for soaps anymore!) Regardless, imo, she should've risen to the occasion and cooked her back up plan.  Instead, she twisted Shirley's arm on camera (making it very hard for Shirley to escape public criticism if Shirley chose to not play Mommy and fix Brooke's dilemma). Add in Brooke bitching about the woman who saved her ass being too loud, and (apparently) not even worthy of a public thank you, and "entitled" is the nicest way to describe her attitude. I started the season liking her, but I'm now hanging her picture alongside Blais on the wall of Sour Winners (and in the photo, she's wearing those damn dumb-ass pigtails). 

So glad Sheldon won fan favorite -- only sweet thing about the ending to this season.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 12
8 minutes ago, film noire said:

And yet, on the episode,  Brooke admits she fucked up: “I cannot believe I forgot to order the main ingredient on my pork and beans” (retconnning; not just for soaps anymore!) Regardless, imo, she should've risen to the occasion and cooked her back up plan.  Instead, she twisted Shirley's arm on camera (making it very hard for Shirley to escape public criticism if Shirley chose to not play Mommy and fix Brooke's dilemma). Add in Brooke bitching about the woman who saved her ass being too loud, and (apparently) not even worthy of a public thank you, and "entitled" is the nicest way to describe her attitude. I started the season liking her, but I'm not hanging her picture alongside Blais on the wall of Sour Winners (and in the photo, she's wearing those damn dumb-ass pigtails). 

So glad Sheldon won fan favorite!

....and if Shirley didn't use her pork, you feel it should just go into the garbage? That kind of thinking aggravates me more than anything while there are starving people in this world only to see the waste on all these cooking shows! "Hell's Kitchen" is the worst offender constantly throwing perfectly good food into the can to make a point that there's a lack of perfection so it can't go out to a customer! STUPIDITY! Gordon throwing plates of food at a wall; what a moron! All of them are idiots! ;-)

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, film noire said:

And yet, on the episode,  Brooke admits she screwed up: “I cannot believe I forgot to order the main ingredient on my pork and beans.” (retconnning; not just for soaps anymore!) Regardless, imo, she should've risen to the occasion and cooked her back up plan.  Instead, she twisted Shirley's arm on camera (making it very hard for Shirley to escape public criticism if Shirley chose to not play Mommy and fix Brooke's dilemma). Add in Brooke bitching about the woman who saved her ass being too loud, and (apparently) not even worthy of a public thank you, and "entitled" is the nicest way to describe her attitude. I started the season liking her, but I'm now hanging her picture alongside Blais on the wall of Sour Winners (and in the photo, she's wearing those damn dumb-ass pigtails). 

So glad Sheldon won fan favorite -- only sweet thing about the ending to this season.

Yeah, I thought about that, and I think what probably happened was when it wasn't there, she figured she forgot to put it down, but then later on found out it was listed but not delivered.  Doubt she would risk being called out on that when Padma, Tom and Shirley were there when she said it.

• Love 8
(edited)
32 minutes ago, Jamie Satyr said:

....and if Shirley didn't use her pork, you feel it should just go into the garbage? That kind of thinking aggravates me more than anything while there are starving people in this world only to see the waste on all these cooking shows! "Hell's Kitchen" is the worst offender constantly throwing perfectly good food into the can to make a point that there's a lack of perfection so it can't go out to a customer! STUPIDITY! Gordon throwing plates of food at a wall; what a moron! All of them are idiots! ;-)

That logic (wasting food) would apply to every chef in every challenge in every season of Top Chef.  It also applies to the short ribs Brooke ordered -- were they reused or thrown away? -- wherever they ended up, I don't think it's a valid motivation for Shirley to save Brooke's ass. 

Edited by film noire
  • Love 7

Brooke didn't order the pork belly, even though she said she did in WWHNL. On the show, we see Sheldon tell her that Shirley had pork belly, but it was on her list and Brooke admits she didn't order it. She would have had her list while checking in the product, said to the delivery driver that her pork belly wasn't there, and he would have went to get it. She didn't order it. In a past season they were cooking on an island and the kitchen caught fire. I think Antonia was there, but I'm not positive. They decided to scrap the challenge and let them cook whatever once the kitchen got put back together and sent a PA to the grocery. If Brooke ordered pork belly, the delivery driver forgot it and for some reason wouldn't replace it, it is not beyond the bounds of them sending someone to pick some up for her. If they had sent someone out for her to pick up pork belly after she forgot it, that would unfair, but in the last few seasons, they have stopped sabotaging their chefs at the finale.

At the final three, I could see any one of them winning. I knew it was going to be Brooke because of the way this season was edited. I don't subscribe to the theory that she was anticipated to be the winner on day one, although if I were to take what is said on WWHNL as gospel, that was the final three Padma and Tom expected, but it was obvious she was the winner because they told us that throughout the season. It was a Brooke's redemption arch.

I read a lot of forums here at PTV and men are called out every bit as much as women for their actions and behaviors. Every forum, every show, snark abounds regardless of gender.

• Love 5

I was just about to say the same thing, TomTraubertsBlue.  In the end, Shirley looks good for sharing the pork belly, and Brooke got to make the dish she envisioned.  

The problem with the conspiracy theories about Brooke is that there are so much history with TC that shows it just isn't true.  If Tom can 'bully' the panel to get his way, and he favored Brooke, she wouldn't have been cut in the first place.  

• Love 6

TC is the sole decided factor on who comes back from LCK, so if he wanted her to come back, it wouldn't matter if they cut her.

I haven't been able to hold Tom above reproach since he made the one judge change his opinion on who went through to the finals. I think it was All Stars, and the judge was firmly voting for Antonia to go through, only to go to a break and change his mind. He didn't look happy about it, either. 

• Love 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, Canada said:

Oh well, at least Tom and his producers got the story they wanted to tell this season, which was obvious from the outset.  Now I don't need to bother watching the episode at all and likely will add this to the list of shows I finally dumped this year.

Yeah, I have to say it's a little hard to swallow that the failed competitor who bitched about Last Chance Kitchen (which led to her losing) ended up in Last Chance Kitchen (which led to her winning) and that somehow, this perfect,  Zen-like circle of story-telling was all accidental, random, happenstance and totes not the end game.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 15

Kristen often cooks for Padma and stays at her home? Didn't expect that.

That surprised me, too. IIRC, there seemed to be a whiff of animosity between them during Kristen's season.

She was probably drunk.

Or baked.

And yet, on the episode,  Brooke admits she screwed up: “I cannot believe I forgot to order the main ingredient on my pork and beans.” (retconnning; not just for soaps anymore!)

That's how I remember it, and was confused by the explanation given on WWHL.

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, Christina said:

TC is the sole decided factor on who comes back from LCK, so if he wanted her to come back, it wouldn't matter if they cut her.

I haven't been able to hold Tom above reproach since he made the one judge change his opinion on who went through to the finals. I think it was All Stars, and the judge was firmly voting for Antonia to go through, only to go to a break and change his mind. He didn't look happy about it, either. 

That was Wolfgang Puck, and yes I was livid about that.  Puck was firmly for Antonia, but after the break he fell in line for Mike.

• Love 6

I really wish that someone from Top Chef would clarify the situation regarding the missing pork belly.  I find it hard to believe that Padma and Tom would sit there quietly on WWHL while Brooke claimed that the pork belly was on her list but was not delivered if it weren't the truth.  JMHO, but this to me reeks of Magical Elves' jigery pokery.  In the finale???  If that's the case, it's reprehensible.  (And I was rooting for Shirley, BTW.)  The only other thing I can think of is that because pork belly was the only protein requested by both finalists, was the amount delivered meant to be split between the two of them to begin with?  If the ingredient was actually on Brooke's list, I can see her feeling entitled to at least some of the pork belly that was considered Shirley's delivery.  It puts the behavior that we saw--what the editors wanted us to see--in a completely different light.  

• Love 8
1 minute ago, TomTraubertsBlue said:

That was Wolfgang Puck, and yes I was livid about that.  Puck was firmly for Antonia, but after the break he fell in line for Mike.

Tom's a bully and a lying hypocrite! He's never consistent with his BS; faulting a chef for serving something, then beating up another for having an incomplete offering; "it's missing something!" You can't win at times with these judges! ;-)

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I really wish that someone from Top Chef would clarify the situation regarding the missing pork belly.  I find it hard to believe that Padma and Tom would sit there quietly on WWHL while Brooke claimed that the pork belly was on her list but was not delivered if it weren't the truth.  JMHO, but this to me reeks of Magical Elves' jigery pokery.  In the finale???  If that's the case, it's reprehensible.  (And I was rooting for Shirley, BTW.)  The only other thing I can think of is that because pork belly was the only protein requested by both finalists, was the amount delivered meant to be split between the two of them to begin with?  If the ingredient was actually on Brooke's list, I can see her feeling entitled to at least some of the pork belly that was considered Shirley's delivery.  It puts the behavior that we saw--what the editors wanted us to see--in a completely different light.  

I think you nailed it.  It was a pretty big hunk of pork belly, so it was probably meant to be halved.  Best explanation I've seen.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, JES004 said:

The problem with the conspiracy theories about Brooke is that there are so much history with TC that shows it just isn't true.  If Tom can 'bully' the panel to get his way, and he favored Brooke, she wouldn't have been cut in the first place.  

Without buying into whether there was or was not a conspiracy theory per se, I can't agree with this particular comment ... mainly because my own version of a "conspiracy theory" is simply that TOM wanted Brooke to win from the get-go and in the end, I think, what Tom says goes. He didn't need to "bully" the panel once they were that far into the eliminations and trips to Last Chance Kitchen.  He knew he could just wave her through there and get her back into the final 4. No harm, no foul, and she even gets the redemption edit. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I seriously don't get how indignant some people are that one person's food is better than another's, contrary to the judges opinions, without actually tasting the food. Just because you like someone doesn't mean their food is better. 

Also completely do not get where this entitlement thing about Brooke comes from. She has a very dry sense of humor, and her tone can be a bit flat, but she is clearly well liked. When things get serious, these contestants are in work mode. For Brooke that means being very blunt, for Shirley that means being extremely loud/shrill. Neither means that one is a better chef or person.

Edited by rlc
  • Love 19
12 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

The only other thing I can think of is that because pork belly was the only protein requested by both finalists, was the amount delivered meant to be split between the two of them to begin with?  

We saw that Shirley had also ordered pork shanks.  She decided to use these instead of the belly because it is her father's favorite.   Brooke did not have a back up protein. 

My guess--The restaurant worker responsible for ordering saw 2 pork bellies on the list and assumed it was a mistake so deleted the duplicate.  Brooke said, I can't believe I didn't order my main ingredient (something to that effect).  She was not saying she did forget, she knew she put it on her list.  It was a statement, okay it wasn't me so what is going on here.  

• Love 1

Last night, I had some pimento cheese in the style of pimento cheese in honor of the Top Chef finale. I didn't actually eat it while watching the finale, though, cause I had decided last week that I wasn't going to watch if Brooke won. (I appreciate those of you here who took the bullet for me.) I think I even watched the Hosea finale, but this season has finally broken me. Weirdly, I had the same reaction to Brooke in her original season. She seemed likable and talented enough early on, but irritating and entitled as she got closer to the end. Watching the talented and likable new chefs go out before their time, with Emily and Casey lasting way past their shelf dates was demoralizing. There were also some badly designed challenges, bad enough that it even annoyed me, and I didn't even blink at the vending machine challenge. (The only one of which I can remember now was the vegetarian challenge.  Stupid fake meat - blech.) Of course I'll come crawling back again next season, because I'm weak. But it had better be worth it.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Canada said:

Shirley should have won. She's a MUCH BETTER chef than the conceited Brooke, who is NOT creative. But Brooke who was Tom the dick's choice, she was the winner.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, wings707 said:

We saw that Shirley had also ordered pork shanks.  She decided to use these instead of the belly because it is her father's favorite.   Brooke did not have a back up protein. 

My guess--The restaurant worker responsible for ordering saw 2 pork bellies on the list and assumed it was a mistake so deleted the duplicate.  Brooke said, I can't believe I didn't order my main ingredient (something to that effect).  She was not saying she did forget, she knew she put it on her list.  It was a statement, okay it wasn't me so what is going on here.  

She did have a back up protein.  She said she had short ribs.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, pinguina said:

Just some stuff that I have an opinion about:
Brooke has a resting bitch face which may account for people viewing her as entitled.  Plus she has a way of speaking that could be viewed as arrogant(?).  I have a two friends - one has RBF and is a very nice person and the other speaks as if everyone should listen to her (I finally realized she speaks just like her mom) - she is also a lovely person.

Oh my goodness!! When Shirley's mom was asking the sister how to say, "I am proud of you" in English?? That just made my eyes water! My mom doesn't speak English and I could just hear her.  Then when she hugged Shirley and said that Shirley was beautiful and then "I am proud."  Let the crying begin!!  I am going to visit my mom today!!

I hate LCK!! I want them to get rid of it.

NEVER, EVER have another veterans vs. new-comers again!!!  I hated that.

I really wanted Shirley to win but somehow thought Brooke would.  I felt Brooke had a bit more latitude in a few challenges.  

So Shirley I hope she has more success after this. And congratulations to Brooke.

Brooke comes across as ARROGANT and ENTITLED - so OBVIOUS. LCK needs to go.

34 minutes ago, Jamie Satyr said:

Tom's a bully and a lying hypocrite! He's never consistent with his BS; faulting a chef for serving something, then beating up another for having an incomplete offering; "it's missing something!" You can't win at times with these judges! ;-)

Tom is a POMPOUS a hole.

• Love 2

I remember now.  I stand corrected, Brooke had short ribs.  My guess still works.  The person who ordered thought it was a duplicate so omitted one of the pork bellies.  That is the only logical reason I can see.  

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, lololol said:

Shirley should have won. She's a MUCH BETTER chef than the conceited Brooke, who is NOT creative. But Brooke who was Tom the dick's choice, she was the winner.

Yes, the "much better chef" won 3 comps to the inferior Brooke, who won 9.

Best part of that article is when Brooke says Richard's wife texted her "what the hell was his problem" and told her she was glad she pushed back at him.

Edited by TomTraubertsBlue
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, JeanneH said:

I knew it was on but I wasn't going to be able to watch, and then I forgot to set the DVR, so I've just now watched on VOD.

Whoever dressed Brooke and did her hair and make-up did her no favors.  Her make-up was particularly bad. Shirley looked so pretty. Great to see Sheldon! Glad to see Padma had to be reminded of why Jamie went home (saying she didn't remember is possibly the most real thing she said all season). So obvious Brooke is sick of the question about Kristen and Shirley of the question about the pork belly. Kristen often cooks for Padma and stays at her home? Didn't expect that. Funny about Padma and the knives (why does she lick knives). LOL Shirley's slam of the OC! Best reaction to anything on the show. John Tesar is a jerk and always will be a jerk (the sabotage question). Congratulations to Sheldon for fan favorite! (although I wish Jim had made the cut)

Brooke's hair and makeup was BAD. I'm sure she thought she looked good. She's CLUELESS. Her TATS - seriously? REALLY low class.

41 minutes ago, TomTraubertsBlue said:

Yes, the "much better chef" won 3 comps to the inferior Brooke, who won 9.

Best part of that article is when Brooke says Richard's wife texted her "what the hell was his problem" and told her she was glad she pushed back at him.

Brooke won because Tom the dick ALWAYS dictates who is going to win.

• Love 1
Just now, biakbiak said:

From the recap:

That would be CJ not Sam. I don't know why I know this.

CJ was a tall bean pole, constantly drooling over Padma, who finally won something after so many opportunities over the TC franchise! Was it "TC Duals?"  ;-)

(edited)
10 hours ago, Ellee said:

Another Brooke post ......

Instead of Brooke being likened to all these negative things.....isn't it possible that she was protecting herself from being hurt again? 

It would explain the 'I shouldn't have come back' (loosely said as I don't remember the exact words'.  It would explain Gail's comment when Brooke cried when eliminated about not interpreting it as weakness. 

Let the woman enjoy her success for a moment. 

She can enjoy her success, and I think she will, even though I think it is an asterisk win.

People who post to message boards are a small percentage of viewers, so I doubt the fact that I see it as a rigged win will make any difference in Brooke's life at all.

There are a few restaurants/chefs that are on my list of places I want to try.  Brooke wouldn't be anywhere near my list, but that doesn't mean that she won't be front and center on anyone else's.  Issac, Sheldon, Tiffany (from Texas), Shirley, Sylva, Stephanie, Gregory and Kwame (I think his restaurant may have closed) are all on my list.  

Oddly, its not always the winner whose food piques my interest.  And this season its even more apparent, since I would want to try the food from everyone in the final three, but the winner.

Edited by RealReality