Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Chapter Five: Heart Of Darkness

• Start Topic

My favorite part was when Cheryl walked up to speak at the funeral and everyone was concerned and didn't want the drama and Kevin was just like "Yes".  The show needs to bottle that up and bring out that Kevin all the time.  

As for Betty/Jughead, I just didn't see romantic chemistry.  Not in the scenes so far.  Maybe it will develop.  The show has been weird for me the last 3 episodes in the sense that it hasn't shoved the romantic relationships down our throats.  They really haven't shown any of these teen characters as being into one of the others.  Not in the way that teen shows typically do it.  I mean sure, they have Archie and Veronica have that moment where she fixes his hand but that could just be as friends and neither of them have vocalized any feelings for the other.  

• Love 3

2001 - Archie and the gang are all born in the same year.

This was the sentence that made me think "oh dear god I belong in jail." A la Miss Grundy, who I am also plenty older than. Uh oh. 

That said: moody, sullen, broken-home movie-geek Jughead is 110% in my wheelhouse. Or my inner 16-year-old's wheelhouse, or something. Isn't Cole Sprouse a twin? I seem to remember him acting since birth--another indicator that I am an ancient crone who shouldn't be enjoying this show nearly as much as I am. :)

• Love 12
2 hours ago, desdemona said:

I can't be the only one getting twincest vibes from Cheryl and Jason?

You're not.  Considering it's a CW show they are being as overt as they can without freaking out the sensors.  Do I think it's actually true?     Doubt if.  Just vibey is fun though.  Although This show is portraying the family as very....Lannistereque so....

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Also forgot to add I'm now shipping Betty and Jughead. I know Jughead is asexual in the comics but I thought I heard they wanted to change it for the show? 

Ideally though I still ship Betty and Veronica but I don't think that's happening and I firmly believe that the early scenes suggesting it were viewer bait.

Cole Sprouse said he fought for Juggy to be Asexual but Came up short. 

3 minutes ago, jay741982 said:

Cole Sprouse said he fought for Juggy to be Asexual but Came up short. 

I thought I remembered hearing that. I'm not surprised the network/show didn't go for that. No drama to be had when a person is asexual I guess. Especially on a teen drama and I know we haven't seen much love drama yet but I bet it's coming. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, ban1o said:

Polly is def pregnant too. It seems so obvious to me. The parents are pretending she's sick. They are cray. 

That's a good theory . Especially with Daddy Cooper telling Betty that Pollys not getting out till she's better. That with Alice being the way she is I can See them locking Polly away cause she's pregnant with "one of them evil Blossoms"

• Love 1

Do we know how long Polly has been gone? Because, yeah, I'm getting the knocked up vibe as well. I mean, I don't get how else Jason drove her "crazy". Unless they locked her up just to get her away from him. I mean, grandma Blossom made it seem pretty serious between Jason and Polly and I think he was probably running away to be with her. So it would make sense for the Coopers to lock her away so he couldn't reach her and she couldn't run off with him. No matter what, I do not believe she is even remotely crazy.

I LOVE Betty and Juggie as PI buddies. They are the best part of the show for me right now. NO interest in Veronica's family life, though I do love her and Cheryl's odd friendship. The Blossoms are freaky, probably my second favorite part of the show right now. But Betty and Juggie are the best!

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, jay741982 said:

She's not. Main cast is Archie Betty Veronica Jughead Hermonie Cheryl and Fred in that order.

Mmm according to wikipedia she is and she's in all the promotional material... The main cast is Archie, Bettie, Veronica, Jughead, Veronica's mom, Cheryl, Josie, Betty's mom and Archie's dad  idk though. I guess they might be wrong lol. 

Edited by ban1o
2 minutes ago, ban1o said:

Mmm according to wikipedia she is and she's in all the promotional material... The main cast is Archie, Bettie, Veronica, Jughead, Veronica's mom, Cheryl, Josie, Betty's mom and Archie's dad  idk though. I guess they might be wrong lol. 

Lol I was going off the cast list in last night's episode. It's very Possible that Riverdale may be like GOT and that's they only list the main characters that actually appear in the episode. But I swear In the previous 4 episodes Madchen Amick(Alice) was only listed as a guest star 

• Love 1

So I've been trying to reconcile the storylines with the kids' ages and it doesn't make any sense, at least if Cheryl is in the same class as the others. That means Jason, as her twin, was engaged to Polly at the age of 15. Who was probably pregnant if the popular theory holds. Okay so Polly is older, maybe 17? Either way it's an insane plot for a 15-year-old kid to be engaged and ready to run away and be a father and husband. But hey, if you grew up in a creepy Gothic mansion with a cemetery on the grounds and those parents, you'd probably be fucked up too.

• Love 5

Some final thoughts before I move on to other tv matters:

1.  Can you have a show based on the Archie comics without Archie Andrews?

2.  This show may be my replacement show for Pretty Little Liars which is ending this season.   It has the right mix of over the top characters, wacked out murder mysteries, and long standing rivalries.  If only it could avoid boring and trite romances that always ALWAYS bogged down PLL.  Unfortunately we are headed for a Betty/Archie/Veronica love triangle of epic proportions.   Something I am not looking forward to.  

3.  Although the show is mostly about the kids the parents (for the most part - sorry Luke Perry) are just as fascinating.  Well except for Daddy Andrews who is just as boring as his son.  The Andrews family needs a blood feud, a murder charge, or maybe have them just date the same woman for a couple of episode just to make them less boring.  Sorry again Luke Perry.  You and your son are very pretty but you just don't fit in.

4.  Twincest!  How did that get past the sensors?  Or maybe because it is exceptionally vague and relies mostly on allusions and not watching an actual act of sexery the sensors didn't see the harm on letting in pass.  Because the Blossom family is creepy.  Then again when you have a house with its own name and your own private graveyard your family is automatically creepy.  

5.  Bitchy waring parents are the best.

6.  Betty and Jughead have a great scooby gang vibe to them that I don't want to ruin with icky romance.  

7.  Like Pretty Little Liars I am already wondering if Riverdale is really a psychiatric hospital town or located over a hell mouth.

8.  Jason and Polly are so going to be like Romeo and Juliet only not as happy and ending.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Some final thoughts before I move on to other tv matters:

2.  This show may be my replacement show for Pretty Little Liars which is ending this season.   It has the right mix of over the top characters, wacked out murder mysteries, and long standing rivalries.  If only it could avoid boring and trite romances that always ALWAYS bogged down PLL.  Unfortunately we are headed for a Betty/Archie/Veronica love triangle of epic proportions.   Something I am not looking forward to.  

3.  Although the show is mostly about the kids the parents (for the most part - sorry Luke Perry) are just as fascinating.  Well except for Daddy Andrews who is just as boring as his son.  The Andrews family needs a blood feud, a murder charge, or maybe have them just date the same woman for a couple of episode just to make them less boring.  Sorry again Luke Perry.  You and your son are very pretty but you just don't fit in.

4.  Twincest!  How did that get past the sensors?  Or maybe because it is exceptionally vague and relies mostly on allusions and not watching an actual act of sexery the sensors didn't see the harm on letting in pass.  Because the Blossom family is creepy.  Then again when you have a house with its own name and your own private graveyard your family is automatically creepy.  

5.  Bitchy waring parents are the best.

6.  Betty and Jughead have a great scooby gang vibe to them that I don't want to ruin with icky romance.  

7.  Like Pretty Little Liars I am already wondering if Riverdale is really a psychiatric hospital town or located over a hell mouth.

8.  Jason and Polly are so going to be like Romeo and Juliet only not as happy and ending.   

I'd rather have Betty and Jughead hook up instead of the Damn triangle happening. This Archie waffling between two awesome ladies who deserve better than fighting against each other for a boy is not appealing to me at all. Their friendship is more appealing to me. 

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

So I've been trying to reconcile the storylines with the kids' ages and it doesn't make any sense, at least if Cheryl is in the same class as the others. That means Jason, as her twin, was engaged to Polly at the age of 15. Who was probably pregnant if the popular theory holds. Okay so Polly is older, maybe 17? Either way it's an insane plot for a 15-year-old kid to be engaged and ready to run away and be a father and husband. But hey, if you grew up in a creepy Gothic mansion with a cemetery on the grounds and those parents, you'd probably be fucked up too.

yeah the character's ages really make no sense. Jason was the captain of the football team in grade 9? Like Cheryl  and Jason have to be older then them right? 

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, jay741982 said:

Lol I was going off the cast list in last night's episode. It's very Possible that Riverdale may be like GOT and that's they only list the main characters that actually appear in the episode. But I swear In the previous 4 episodes Madchen Amick(Alice) was only listed as a guest star 

I just wanted to check cuz I'm bored.  I rewatched the beginning of episode 2 and Ashleigh Murray and Madchen Amick's name both appear in the opening credits with the main cast. So I guess it is like GOT where they only list them when they actually appear or they changed the main cast after a few episodes haha. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, ban1o said:

yeah the character's ages really make no sense. Jason was the captain of the football team in grade 9? Like Cheryl  and Jason have to be older then them right? 

Do we know that they're supposed to be in the same year, or only that Cheryl is in classes with Archie and gang? When I was in high school, a lot of my classes were a mixture of different years. 

I think Cheryl is meant to be a senior while everyone else is a sophomore. I can believe that a senior is captain of the River Vixens and in a few classes with sophomores. 

• Love 1

I think Polly, Cheryl and Jason are/were in the same age group, either Juniors or Seniors, it depends on the class but some can be mixed, I had classes with Juniors and Sophmores when I was a Senior. Cheryl has her own group of friends I just think she became obsessed with Veronica because she's new, from New York or because she comforted her when she broke down at Homecoming. 

• Love 1

I know I said I was done.  I lied.  I have one more point.  Cheryl said during her awesome memorial speech that she didn't have any friends.  That Jason was the popular one.  It is possible that she is hanging out with "younger" kids because they actually like her.  Betty and Veronica are both in cheerleading With her so all of the becoming actual friends isn't that weird.  

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, MaiSoCalled said:

Do we know that they're supposed to be in the same year, or only that Cheryl is in classes with Archie and gang? When I was in high school, a lot of my classes were a mixture of different years. 

I think Cheryl is meant to be a senior while everyone else is a sophomore. I can believe that a senior is captain of the River Vixens and in a few classes with sophomores. 

I was just about to post something similar and you beat me to it.  I don't know about anyone else's experiences, but for me high school was where there wasn't much separation between the grades.  Elementary and junior high, yeah - you're basically mostly with kids in your specific grade.  But come high school, while there are the odd classes like English that are grade-specific, the majority of the other classes are a mix of the various grades.  Outside of the classroom, most of the extracurriculars are also a mix of the four.   I haven't been bothered about this aspect as much as it seems to be confusing others.

• Love 1

I need that cover of Shout that played when Cheryl was walking to the podium at Jason's memorial.

I'm finding myself far more interested in the soapy murder mystery aspect than anything else. Like, everything with Archie is existing parallel to everything else. It's annoying.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I love that the Coopers and the Blossoms have a blood feud over maple syrup!

As a Canadian, I really got a kick out of this. And I understand. Good maple syrup is worth it. 

11 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

That being said, I did think Archie/Valerie were really cute together. And I much prefer the Valerie actress to the Josie one. A part of me wonders if they had bigger plans for Josie considering the actress is a main cast member, but then they went in a different direction because the actress just doesn't really work.

But I'm actually very confused about who is part of the main cast and who is part of the supporting cast. I thought Casey Cott was a main cast member since he's been in every episode, but I noticed last night that he was in the 'guest starring' portion of the cast.

Yeah, I think the actress who plays Josie is supposed to be main cast? But she wasn't even in this episode...I did see some sparks with Archie/Valerie. Maybe they'll fit more Josie in the next few episodes?

23 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Just in love with Cole Sprouse more each ep.  Ugh I'm a cougar

Oh haiiiii...me too! I literally just texted my cousin these exact words "Is it weird that Ben Geller grew up to be attractive? I think he's so cute on Riverdale. Please don't tell me if this is weird. Let me live in my Sprouse bubble..."

Also totally shipping Jughead and Betty. Their scenes were the best. 

Cheryl's mom is worse than Betty's...I didn't think that was possible. I felt so bad for Cheryl this episode. And I love what glimpses of Kevin we get.

And lastly, WHERE the hell is Hot Dog?! I guess he can't be with homeless Jughead (which P.S: let's address that, show. And bring back Jughead's hot dad.), but is he with Jellybean and their mom? I hope so. I need a Hot Dog/Jughead reunion! And while we're at it, bring on Mr. Flootsnoot!!!!!

• Love 6

Not shipping Betty and Juggy.  Their friend-chemistry is too good.

I do think Archie has way more romantic chemistry with Valerie than he does with either Betty or Ronnie.  Frankly, if they could use her more and Josie less....particularly since there was a pretty good alternate future storyline in the comics where the two of them got married.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, ruby24 said:

I don't know, I kinda think with teen shows if an unexpected couple clicks early (due to the actors or what have you) then the smartest thing to do is take advantage it.

And I notice people are now picking up on Betty and Jughead all over the place, so my guess is the people behind the show must have too.

Why do you have to go the romantic route to "take advantage of it?"  A lot of my favorite TV pairings are platonic relationships, be they friendship or family.  In my opinion, adding a romantic element frequently ruins the very thing people were enjoying before they made the characters hook up.  And sometimes it's not just the relationship that gets ruined.  Sometimes it can ruin entire characters.

• Love 4
On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 10:31 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

The moment was completely lost on me.  I kept rewinding it, looking for something in her hands that everyone was going nuts over?  It was just that she was wearing white?  LOL.  

It seems really overdone, It might be what Cheryl felt it was like, giving us an insight into her head.  I think the overreaction was because it was the dress she was wearing the morning when she was last with Jason. I'm not sure if everyone would know that. Photo in the paper?

Later in the show doesn't the mother 'threaten' her with boarding school in Europe? Oh, please, Brer Fox.....

Was Jason the only one smart enough to want to get out of Crimson Peaks?

also, that dinner party that Veronica was invited to? Was anything served except maple doused ham?

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 4:23 AM, xqueenfrostine said:

Absolutely.  I kinda had that vibe all episode, but Mr. Cooper told Betty that Polly is sick and that she can only come back once she's better sealed it for me.  It totally sounds like the parents are trying to hide Polly away until after she gives birth.  The reveal that Polly and Jason had gotten married while still in high school also points strongly in that direction.  

I thought breaking into the bathroom when she doesn't respond and finding her with a pregnancy test might make sense, so yeah. Has to be a pregnancy storyline at some point.

• Love 2

So, did Jughead and Archie have a falling out because Jughead became homeless and didn't want Archie to know? Where is Jughead living now? In a Blossom mausoleum? Thing is you know Archie's father would take him in and the house seems bigger than necessary, so it is a puzzler to me.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, AdorkableSars said:

And lastly, WHERE the hell is Hot Dog?! I guess he can't be with homeless Jughead (which P.S: let's address that, show. And bring back Jughead's hot dad.), but is he with Jellybean and their mom? I hope so. I need a Hot Dog/Jughead reunion! And while we're at it, bring on Mr. Flootsnoot!!!!!

If the dog doesn't talk, or at least come with thought balloons, I'm going to be upset! The show needs a talking dog, stat.

• Love 3

I figured it out.  I figured it out.  I have been comparing this show to Pretty Little Liars and Archie is so much this shows Aria Montgomery.  While everyone else on the show is having over the top crazy ass adventures more times then not Archie/Aria is having more or less typical teen tv drama.  Plus dating teachers.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 10
12 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

It would be interesting if they could pull it off, but I think they would have to really phase him out. He could show up once or twice in an episode, sitting in a park with his guitar, getting a drink at the water fountain in his football uniform, seeing them at the malt shop. We'd get bits of him studying, getting a car, playing catch with his Dad. He'd be on a date with Betty when something would happen and Jughead would pull her away. On a date about to kiss Veronica over their shared malt when her mother comes over and orders her outside for a chat. At the end of the show he'd visit them all in jail or visit their graves as he drove off to State University. Sort of a counterpoint.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, ban1o said:

I just wanted to check cuz I'm bored.  I rewatched the beginning of episode 2 and Ashleigh Murray and Madchen Amick's name both appear in the opening credits with the main cast. So I guess it is like GOT where they only list them when they actually appear or they changed the main cast after a few episodes haha. 

Oh cool thanks for that!

On 2/23/2017 at 10:17 PM, Chaos Theory said:

This show might actually work as a gothic horror.  It just needs to get rid of Archie first.

Cheryl walking down the isle to her brother's wake in white was probably the greatest thing I have ever seen.  

When the show just goes balls out crazy it works for me,  When it tries to be deep it falls apart.

I was thinking to myself early on, "Is this going to be like Dark Shadows, where they wake up very early in the canon and veer in a totally different direction?"

On 2/24/2017 at 0:41 AM, memememe76 said:

I am enjoying Archie's storyline. It's a nice contrast to the craziness. 

I find it interesting that Grandma Blossom loved Polly. I think she'd be the daughter of the man who killed Pollyanna and Betty's great grandfather, right? 

Anyways, I am just loving the show. 

I wonder if the writers would ever have Archie kill Jason. The allusions to how Archie looks like Jason  and him changing over the summer (personally, Archie is way hotter than Jason), is taking his spot in the football, getting into music, etc. 

Yeah, I too have thought several times that (unless the Blossoms are comic book redheads, I don't know), it's unusual to have so many folks with flaming red locks as a character choice, and they seem unlikely to change Archie's so...

On 2/24/2017 at 4:01 AM, loki567 said:

Yeah, strange that they'd give that much screentime and story to one of the random pussycats instead of Josie herself. Maybe because they wanted to give some romantic hints and don't want to do Archie/Josie? 

I'll echo the sentiments, everything in this show is clicking EXCEPT it's main character. The only intriguing thing with Archie right now is that they keep driving the Jason comparison hard. So either somebody was actually trying to kill Archie instead of Jason, or somebody's going to go nuts and try to kill Archie thinking he's Jason.

If this was a cable show, my guess would be the Blossom twins were engaged in some Lannister behavior and their mom found out, went nuts and shot Jason. But this is the CW.

Once again, love the fact the show completely sidestepped the cat fight between Veronica and Cheryl, in order to go in a more interesting direction. 

I like the Valerie actress a lot, but as a general rule I hate shows when it seems so screamingly behind the scenes obvious, that the showrunners are throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks in terms of "chemistry fits".  It probably indicates a long term plan but... I'm also not surprised the showrunners balked at making Jughead asexual because that decreases the potential permutations further.  (Of course, they've got canon men in-show they're already not making the most of, so maybe I wouldn't quote me.)

In my high school it would have been very unusual to mix students from different grades/ages unless there were "electives" (I had some, including 20th cen. drama).  Mostly people wouldn't have taken the time, because the state had a strict set of rules as to what classes had to be taken before graduation for a "college track", and most of them kept you busy through to senior year.  Do some schools/states not have this maybe?  

To some extent I'm not bothered by Jason/Polly because everyone seems pretty clear that they were engaged, not married; which means technically they could get engaged at any age... right?  I mean, it's unusual but if we're not expected to believe a legal authority signed a marriage certificate, I'm not scandalized by it.

11 hours ago, starri said:

Not shipping Betty and Juggy.  Their friend-chemistry is too good.

I do think Archie has way more romantic chemistry with Valerie than he does with either Betty or Ronnie.  Frankly, if they could use her more and Josie less....particularly since there was a pretty good alternate future storyline in the comics where the two of them got married.

Their friendship chemistry is really good. But the thing is I'm not wanting the triangle and I think others may not as well. So her hooking up with Jughead is a good alternative. I just don't want Betty being jerked around by this Archie and I think her and Juggy are adorable whether it goes romantic or not. I do think they set up Possible Bughead romance with the look she had on her face seeing Jughead in his tux

• Love 5

I swear, I feel like the Blossoms are straight out of American Horror Story at its campiest. Cheryl walking down the aisle wearing the outfit she wore the day Jason died while that melancholy "Shout" cover was playing in slow motion is just what I signed up for. It was just all kinds of awesome.

I like Archie, but I agree that his plot is boring, especially compared to everything else going on. He needs be tied into all the murder/Twin Peaks stuff ASAP. I did like him and Val though. Anything is better than the awful Grundie plot.

Wow, the Blossoms are CRAZY! They might even be out crazying Bettys family. Maybe. They do have a crazy old grandma in a wheelchair, so Gothic Horror point to the Blossoms. No wonder Jason tried to run off.

I thought at first that Jason did something awful that led to Polly having a breakdown, but, as of now, it looks like the worst he did to her was brag to his bros about sleeping with her. I'm convinced, right now, that she's pregnant, and Jason was faking his death to run off and be with Polly, or bust of her out  of wherever her parents locked her up. But who knows what we will see next week. And this is all apparently about some crap that happened generations ago! I swear, the way this is going, I wouldn't be surprised if we get Mr. Blossom being all "The Governor ordered it!" and a fight will break out.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Last Time Lord said:

I'm finding myself far more interested in the soapy murder mystery aspect than anything else. Like, everything with Archie is existing parallel to everything else. It's annoying.

I feel like they need to bring Archie into the murder mystery because that, right now, seems to be the main storyline. However, I just don't see how they could unless he joins the sleuthing with Betty and Juggy which I kind of don't want because they are too adorable together and throwing Archie in would add unnecessary angst. (the whole love triangle I desperately hope will not show up though I know it must because it is the single most definable thing about the Archie Comics).

Unfortunately for Archie, the murder mystery story, and all the characters and mini-stories involved, are the best part of the show right now. The high school stuff is kind of boring.

2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I have been comparing this show to Pretty Little Liars and Archie is so much Yhis shows Aria Montgomery.  While everyone else on the show is having over the top crazy ass adventures more times then not Archie/Aria is having more or less lypic teen tv drama.  Plus dating teachers.

OMG you're RIGHT!!!! So, while all around him the Blossoms will be lashing out, accusing everyone of murder, destroying lives, etc. Archie will go around playing music and banging teachers as if nothing is wrong in his town. haha

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I swear, I feel like the Blossoms are straight out of American Horror Story at its campiest. Cheryl walking down the aisle wearing the outfit she wore the day Jason died while that melancholy "Shout" cover was playing in slow motion is just what I signed up for. It was just all kinds of awesome.

I like Archie, but I agree that his plot is boring, especially compared to everything else going on. He needs be tied into all the murder/Twin Peaks stuff ASAP. I did like him and Val though. Anything is better than the awful Grundie plot.

Wow, the Blossoms are CRAZY! They might even be out crazying Bettys family. Maybe. They do have a crazy old grandma in a wheelchair, so Gothic Horror point to the Blossoms. No wonder Jason tried to run off.

I thought at first that Jason did something awful that led to Polly having a breakdown, but, as of now, it looks like the worst he did to her was brag to his bros about sleeping with her. I'm convinced, right now, that she's pregnant, and Jason was faking his death to run off and be with Polly, or bust of her out  of wherever her parents locked her up. But who knows what we will see next week. And this is all apparently about some crap that happened generations ago! I swear, the way this is going, I wouldn't be surprised if we get Mr. Blossom being all "The Governor ordered it!" and a fight will break out.

To be technical, do we know Jason even bragged or wrote it per se? We weren't there as audience, so it's possible that someone asked him, and he muttered "Yeah, it was all right.  She's a little shy," or whatever, and the "recorder" wrote it in in ... whatever particular way she was characterized, that I can't remember.  I guess it's not tremendously important he not be slandered or libeled except for the opinion his treatment of Polly leaves us with of "Polly and what she will put up with", 'cuz with the hole in his head and his distinctive features and coloring he's clearly ded ded ded.  

But it's such a "sleazy guy brags sleazily about girl he really truly likes as coverup, so his buddies won't think he's a wimp" cliche, that I don't want them to have written it as such.  (Plus, all that misty googly-eyes Jason does over Cheryl in the flashbacks, though I suppose it's Cheryl's POV thus suspect, skeeves me out.)  If they do decide to go all "Flowers in the Attic", I'm sure all my justification will be for naught though, as they won't pin the instigation of incest on the live sibling.

I noticed Josie was in all the promo material too--she's one of the core characters they included in a promo photo shoot. My cynical theory is that they wanted some diversity in the ads (although in that case, why not Reggie too?).

15 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I figured it out.  I figured it out.  I have been comparing this show to Pretty Little Liars and Archie is so much this shows Aria Montgomery.  While everyone else on the show is having over the top crazy ass adventures more times then not Archie/Aria is having more or less typical teen tv drama.  Plus dating teachers.

Oh goody - in that case i can't wait til they put Archie in a box!  And if he starts wearing feather earrings as part of his musical stagewear...

Though at least Aria actually managed to find her way to being interesting and a good character on the episodes when Ezra wasn't present and dragging her down, so now that Grundy's gone, we're all still waiting for that to happen with Archie...

6 hours ago, Minneapple said:

It would make sense if Cheryl and Jason were older than the other kids. I guess we will find out if Cheryl is still in high school with everyone next season. 

Next season?  You expect everyone to go up a grade?  Please!  Look at the show's influences - on Twin Peaks, each episode for the most part represented a single chronological day - all of seasons one and two took place between February and March of the same year!  And then you have Pretty Little Liars where two and a half seasons were all part of the same month!

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, starri said:

Or Days of Our Lives, which advances forward about a month every calendar year.

Except for all the SORASed children all the people end up having. Which makes the timelines impossible to keep track of because some people age rapidly and others are... timeless. 

7 hours ago, dwmckim said:

Oh goody - in that case i can't wait til they put Archie in a box!  And if he starts wearing feather earrings as part of his musical stagewear...

Though at least Aria actually managed to find her way to being interesting and a good character on the episodes when Ezra wasn't present and dragging her down, so now that Grundy's gone, we're all still waiting for that to happen with Archie...

Next season?  You expect everyone to go up a grade?  Please!  Look at the show's influences - on Twin Peaks, each episode for the most part represented a single chronological day - all of seasons one and two took place between February and March of the same year!  And then you have Pretty Little Liars where two and a half seasons were all part of the same month!

I believe the timeline MAY be advancing by a week each week. In this episode I believe they referenced to events in episode 4 happening a week ago 

On 2/24/2017 at 2:50 AM, VCRTracking said:

I love that the Coopers and the Blossoms have a blood feud over maple syrup!

Nice to know that Reggie's not a complete toolbag and that he was concerned over Archie's injured hand.

Moments like Cheryl walking out in the white dress to a cover of Tears For Fears' "Shout" and in the funeral and saying "Yes!" is why I like this show.

Grandma Blossom is so creepy!

Cheryl went to the memorial because of Veronica's prompting. Even though Archie is boring, Veronica seems to be the one trying to stick with being a normal, good person as much as possible in Crazy town.

On 2/24/2017 at 10:02 AM, Chicago Redshirt said:

He didn't even "lose" the football captaincy. He took himself out of the running after waiting to find out that he got it. I think it was supposed to be perceived as noble, as in "Here's Archie giving up prestige for the good of the team." But how it came off for me is self-absorbed. If he didn't feel like he could commit to being the captain, he could have plled out well before Coach Clayton made his pick. At least the way it played out did not suggest that he was struggling with this and the moment when captaincy was offered was when he decided to take one for the team.

The coach basically said Archie wasn't the best player, but he showed leadership by retiring the jersey. Archie can't keep up with the weirdness. 20 years ago, sleeping with a teacher would have been a scandalous plot line, now it's sad.

I still get a Veronica Mars vibe from this show, but without the sexual assault every season (at least so far).

• Love 1