Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Emily Dates A Henchman

All I can imagine is Van yelling into the Batarang, and we cut to the Batcave, where Bruce is listening to his cousin and making the wank motion to Alfred.

Of course there would be listicles on how to deal if you're dating a henchman. I like this world. I'm not even going to question why Reggie would get hit by (a) Green Lantern so hard that the ring would leave an imprint. With a GL, I'd imagine using constructs to toss the help around.

• Love 6

I am really loving this show! So goofy and silly. I think my favorite part was when Van walked in on the henchmen in a Robin suit with a burger and soda in hand and the henchmen just freaked out and left thinking Batman was coming. Although you would think Bruce Wayne would be wise to anything going down in one of his companies buildings and would already be working to stop them...

• Love 1

Ha, Robert Buckley was a pretty awesome choice as Reggie.  Thanks to being Major on iZombie, he knows a think or two about being henchmen for bad guys (even though he was an unwilling participate on that show)!  I enjoyed all the stuff about henchmen and how they are so common in this city, that they're treated less as bad guys, and more like... "bad guys."

Van's vendetta against Batman is hilarious, knowing that they're cousins, and he doesn't know that.  I know we'll never see him, but I can only imagine Bruce listening in and just thinking "I can't believe I share the same blood with that loser."  And then Van using all of this to audition as the next Robin.  I never knew I wanted to see Alan Tudyk as Robin until he put on the "suit."

This was probably the most I liked the workers.  Teddy and Ron are more fun when they are fanboying over Batman, instead of giving Emily grief.

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, The Crazed Spruce said:

That was actually kinda the trademark of the Golden Age Green Lantern, Alan Scott. Just sayin'.

Oww... considering Alan Scott wore a ring with that giant train lantern on it!  That would definitely leave a mark!

• Love 1

It was fun seeing Robert Buckley as a henchman, Van in a Robin suit, Teddy and Ron being all excited to meet Batman in person...even though it obviously could never happen. I was ridiculously happy knowing Batman was just off screen when he hauled up the bad guy from the alley so I can relate.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Of course there would be listicles on how to deal if you're dating a henchman. I like this world. I'm not even going to question why Reggie would get hit by (a) Green Lantern so hard that the ring would leave an imprint. With a GL, I'd imagine using constructs to toss the help around.

I dunno. Kyle Rayner was definitely a constructs guy, but Hal Jordan, John Stewart and Guy Gardner were never opposed to a little fisticuffs when the situation called for it. I kind of like the idea of Guy Gardner punching Reggie so hard he leaves a ring mark on his face.

• Love 1

Robert Buckley as a henchman! Funny to see you here Major! This was another good episode, after last weeks improvements. Maybe this wont be a classic show (right now it still seems like its trying too hard to be a Geek Chic kind of show) but it seems to be finding its feet. The whole deal with henchmen just being a normal thing that people do (its like dating a bass player) is a fun bit of world building, and I think the characters were used well. I think my favorite quick joke was the Buzzfeed article "5 signs your dating a henchman" quiz. "Does he own more than one turtleneck?"

The whole Batman plot is much funnier knowing Batman is actually Vans cousin. I just imagine Bruce in the Batcave after this, complaining to Alfred about his weirdo family. "Alfred, five minutes into Thanksgiving dinner, you NEED to come up with a reason for me to leave."

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4

There were some really good lines this episode.

Ron: "The acceptance of a racist grandfather is still my white whale."

Ron and Teddy talking about Batman
Ron: "You know he's basically like a rapper that saves lives."
Teddy: "Yeah, just like Macklemore."
Ron: "No, not like Macklemore."

Van: "If you so much as lay a finger on my action figures I will sic my lawyers on you you son of a bitch. Yes, I will see you at brunch this Sunday mother."

Van: "Let me tell you a story that will shake you to your core. The year is 2003, the season summer, I'm sitting in my Maybach listening to 'Hey ya' on the radio and I'm shaking it like a Polaroid picture. And then suddenly the Batmobile flies out of no where and takes off my sideview mirror.  Batman didn't even stop he just kept chasing after this semi full of warheads to help with some orphanage."
Teddy: "Were the orphans ok ?"
Van: "Who cares ? They're orphans. It's a hard knock life. They can live on one dollar a day. But my sideview mirror, that cost $30,000 to fix. I'm going to get him to pay when he comes back for this."
Ron: "Batman has hundreds of Batarangs. He's not going to come back for this one."
Van: "Batman never leaves anything behind, including insurance information."

I loved that last little dig about insurance by Van -- he just can't let it go.

• Love 2

Van in the Robin suit is just one more shout-out to his one comic appearance, as @The Crazed Spruce linked to in the Media thread here:

On 2/24/2017 at 10:59 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

This strikes me as a joke that was originally written for the first show concept.  But it is a good joke, so I'm glad they found a way to make it work in the current setting.

• Love 3
On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 10:59 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

There were some really good lines this episode.

Ron: "The acceptance of a racist grandfather is still my white whale."

Ron and Teddy talking about Batman
Ron: "You know he's basically like a rapper that saves lives."
Teddy: "Yeah, just like Macklemore."
Ron: "No, not like Macklemore."

Van: "If you so much as lay a finger on my action figures I will sic my lawyers on you you son of a bitch. Yes, I will see you at brunch this Sunday mother."

Van: "Let me tell you a story that will shake you to your core. The year is 2003, the season summer, I'm sitting in my Maybach listening to 'Hey ya' on the radio and I'm shaking it like a Polaroid picture. And then suddenly the Batmobile flies out of no where and takes off my sideview mirror.  Batman didn't even stop he just kept chasing after this semi full of warheads to help with some orphanage."
Teddy: "Were the orphans ok ?"
Van: "Who cares ? They're orphans. It's a hard knock life. They can live on one dollar a day. But my sideview mirror, that cost $30,000 to fix. I'm going to get him to pay when he comes back for this."
Ron: "Batman has hundreds of Batarangs. He's not going to come back for this one."

I loved that last little dig about insurance by Van -- he just can't let it go.

Not to mention once he got his wallet back, with the stolen $2,000 he yells out "Now you just owe me $28,000" for his 30K side view mirror.

• Love 3

So in this universe Van Wayne owns/owned a Maybach...and uses Geico insurance.  That throwaway bit just seemed so utterly fitting for a guy who has his own Robin suit, has a grudge against Batman for dinging up said Maybach, and is effectively a Pointy Haired (or Nippled, depending on whether he's wearing the suit) Boss/hero-famewhore.

The rest of the episode was a bit lower-key than the preceding ones, but Jackie came off a bit more acidly bitchy than she's been before as well.  That, oddly, was kind of a turnoff.  OTOH, David/Reggie was a surprisingly neat and almost underplayed-by-this-show's-standards henchman who probably needs to show up again just so somebody can slap him.

I love how the show is all in with the setup that this is a world with comic characters.

I was waiting for the payoff for the Robin costume, and was not disappointed!

So the main thing I gathered from this episode is that Batman has been operating for at least 13 years in this world.

• Love 1
On 2/24/2017 at 1:33 PM, tennisgurl said:

I think my favorite quick joke was the Buzzfeed article "5 signs your dating a henchman" quiz. "Does he own more than one turtleneck?"

You mean "CharmFeed", with the Best Damn Pizza You'll Ever Have and Crimson Fox Finding Love with CharmCupid!

On 2/24/2017 at 11:59 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

I'm sitting in my Maybach

I have to say -- that is one damn fine car -- and I can see why a side-view mirror costs $30,000!

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 1

This was my favorite so far--in large part to the callback to the comics with Van wanting to be Robin.  (If he knew, it would be worse, because come on, Bruce Wayne is his bro-cuz!)  Also, the idea that henchmen have a private life is an underexplored problem, though I'm not sure how dating Emily fits into his whole evil plan.

There are a few possibilities for the Green Lantern ring-mark:

1.  It was from a construct of a fist used to punch him.

2.  GL figured constructs were overkill, or just wanted to punch him for no particular reason.

3.  The ring was running low on charge, but still works as an added emphasis to a punch.

4.  GL was going for a "leave a mark" like the Ben Affleck Batman. 

5.  It was some other cause entirely, like the one Reggie gave.

I think it's also funny, in the best way, that FakeRobin actually kind of saved the day.

• Love 2

I freaking love this show!  It had a rough start.  Picking on Emily for two whole episodes was a bit much.  But sticking with the show for these last two episodes completely made up for it.  This show is so much fun, and I love Van, Becky, and Ron.  I still like Teddy from his Community days (It's the same character who finally graduated). 

The only thing I could think of adding would be a recurring criminal mastermind.  It doesn't have to be a Big Name, like Joker or Riddler, but someone to show a different perspective of living with superheroes.  And if that particular criminal just happened to be played by Mark Hamill then I will follow this show to the end.

• Love 3

"Batman never leaves anything behind, including insurance information." That's the sort of thing that makes this show funny. Combining superhero tropes with real world mundanity, and exploring just how annoying and inconvenient it would be to live in a world with costumed villains and vigilantes. Them being so unsurprised about Emily dating a henchman was funny. Because I guess henching is like, one of the main sources of unskilled labour in the DC universe.

I like the normalisation of it. "For the record, I do like you. I'm just really focused on my career, right now." The gag about the Riddler giving out instructions in the form of riddles was great. Most comic book fans have spent plenty of time wondering what it would be like working for these pathological, theme-obsessed villains.

It looks like they've been given a bit more leeway to reference actual DC characters, as well. They've mentioned a couple before, but in this one we had Batman, Robin, Two-Face, the Riddler, Green Lantern.

Vanessa Hudgens is improving, as she settles into being an overly-enthusiastic dork. I do like that they haven't given her a potential love interest character among the main cast. Or at least, not an obvious one who's already going to get bent out of shape if she dates some random guy.

But what would be cool would be if they get permission to use some minor DC characters as potential love interests, or guest characters in some other capacity. Seeing Emily try to date Kyle Rayner or Catman or someone, and getting annoyed about his lame excuses for disappearing to fight crime, or missing dates, would be good.

I still don't like Wendy. I don't see what she brings to the show at all. She's crap.

• Love 3

And if that particular criminal just happened to be played by Mark Hamill then I will follow this show to the end.

That would be awesome. I think it would be funny to pull on of the made-for-TV villains from the 60s Batman show like Egghead or King Tut.

• Love 1
On 2/28/2017 at 11:07 AM, marketdoctor said:

I'm not sure how dating Emily fits into his whole evil plan.

He was looking for a way into Wayne Labs. 

On 2/28/2017 at 11:54 AM, phane00 said:

The only thing I could think of adding would be a recurring criminal mastermind. 

They kind of have the flame-thrower guy as a recurring villain and Crimson Fox as a recurring hero.  I like both of them at the edge of the screen, just like they are now.

12 hours ago, jhlipton said:

They kind of have the flame-thrower guy as a recurring villain and Crimson Fox as a recurring hero.  I like both of them at the edge of the screen, just like they are now.

True, but we are not yet seeing this world from their perspective.  For example, using this particular episode, I'd like to see the flame-thrower guy's reaction, or the reactions from his henchmen, to Batman defeating Two Face in Charm City.  It could be interesting since Charm City is more of his territory while Two Face usually sticks to Gotham.  Would he get mad about Two Face working in his town?  Would he be worried about Batman working his town?  Would he get pissed because his alter ego actually has an account in that particular bank?  Or seeing Crimson Fox's reaction to Batman defeating Two Face on her turf.  Would she feel that Batman is stealing her thunder in her town?  Would she be jealous or grateful since Two Face is a higher level villain than the local villains?  There's lots to be done here.

Also, I'd like to see the gang try to turn Ron into a superhero, or Van into a super villain. 

• Love 1

Also, I'd like to see the gang try to turn Ron into a superhero, or Van into a super villain. 

Yes!  And the even built from the latter, with the "I wanted to be a hero..." origin story presented this week.  Though Van as the Dilbert's Boss-style antagonist works too.

(edited)
On 3/2/2017 at 9:48 AM, phane00 said:

True, but we are not yet seeing this world from their perspective.  For example, using this particular episode, I'd like to see the flame-thrower guy's reaction, or the reactions from his henchmen, to Batman defeating Two Face in Charm City. Or seeing Crimson Fox's reaction to Batman defeating Two Face on her turf. 

For me, there are a ton of shows and movies that explore what it's like to be a superhero.  So I want them kept at the edge for this show. 

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 3

It might be kind of funny to have a recurring character for whom the audience can piece together clues that suggest this is actually Crimson Fox, while it sails over the characters' heads. Especially if through that we get the more mundane and boring side of superheroing, or if the alter ego is a bit of a pill or something.

They kind of cheated a little bringing in Major from iZombie but I'll allow it because he was great. I still got a few chuckles outside of that plotline but I think the show is still finding its footing.

I like the normalisation of it. "For the record, I do like you. I'm just really focused on my career, right now." The gag about the Riddler giving out instructions in the form of riddles was great.

I think the show is still finding a balance. I liked the henchmen being a normal thing too... like bass players, but then he was willing to throw her in the river which took the mundane aspect away. 

Vanessa Hudgens is improving, as she settles into being an overly-enthusiastic dork. I do like that they haven't given her a potential love interest character among the main cast. Or at least, not an obvious one who's already going to get bent out of shape if she dates some random guy.

My sense of things is that it might be Danny Pudi but I hope not. We don't need a ship launched on every show. If someone needs to be in a relationship they can date someone outside the main cast. 

• Love 2
On 2/23/2017 at 4:41 PM, Lantern7 said:

All I can imagine is Van yelling into the Batarang, and we cut to the Batcave, where Bruce is listening to his cousin and making the wank motion to Alfred.

When the punch is accompanied with a *POW!!!*, at minimum there would be an imprint.