Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC

Lisin
  • Start Topic

(edited)
On 6/20/2017 at 5:43 PM, jjj said:

I like Katy Tur, but her math was way off today -- twice she said that today, June 20, was the six-month anniversary of Trump becoming president, and that was her theme in her first segment.  What will she talk about on July 20?  I'm surprised that no one told her the right number of months in her earpiece. 

Katy has had trouble being an anchor. She got easily flustered by guests who reminded her of Obama's support for Russia in 2012. She started whining that she didn't cover politics back then, so had no clue about what Obama was doing. That's wrong. She should be informed. She should go back to reporting from Trump events. Her dad who is transgender lashed at out her when her book was published for refusing to talk to him. It must be extremely frustrating for her to deal with her dad

Edited by oakville
correct use of the term transgender
On June 22, 2017 at 5:16 PM, Milburn Stone said:

"Yes, Rachel and Lawrence are doing great in the ratings. They're doing great in the ratings because our new balance has made us a more credible network, making them more credible in the process. When MSNBC was nothing but 'if Trump is for it, we're against it,' we weren't as credible a news organization. The more we aren't perceived to have a knee-jerk agenda, the more people have come to trust Rachel and Lawrence."

I can buy this, but which audience are they trying to sway? Hard right viewers will never turn on msnbc-- not for Faux cast offs or wannabes who weren't big draws. And the hard left needs no convincing that msnbc is trustworthy, if left of center. So...they're looking for cnn viewers? Younger? Is there still a viable independent audience? Questions...questions...

I'd rather watch a full day of tucker carlson's head tilt than try to stomach hewitt's nauseating smugness. i can't watch Greta either but at least she said some nice things about wanting to do a good job and seemed somewhat grateful for a new opportunity. Hewitt acts like the world owes him an audience because he's just sooooo smart. Wrong, o king of veneers. 

Gotta say, I don't get this addition. We have Joe s. For conservative blowhard, Chris m for rudeness, Brian w for condescending cluelessness. If you really needed another arrogant white dude on the network, should have let kornacki keep his show.

at least they're not airing "welcome Hugh" commercials (that I've seen). I'd lose my stomach contents if I saw Maddow filling in as the welcoming committee for this windbag. 

• Love 10

Calling Hugh Hewitt a windbag is flattery.  And yes, I have not seen any "Welcome Hugh" commercials either; but don't give them any ideas.  Greta is one of those people who, when I see her face, I switch the channel.  I think she is trying to put on a good show; I don't have anything personally against her.  But like Megyn Kelly, I can't see her ever being able to wash the stink of Fox News off of herself.  Who knows, maybe I will be proven wrong.

Mr. Kemper and I have been watching Erin Burnett at 7 instead of Chris Matthews.  We have watched Chris for years, but his interruptions and over-talking are getting worse.  We looked forward to his interview with the reporter who lost it today with Sarah Huckabee; he was on for maybe 3-4 minutes.  Chris let him talk (a little) and then suddenly thanked him and went to a commercial.  Did anyone else notice this?  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

Calling Hugh Hewitt a windbag is flattery.  And yes, I have not seen any "Welcome Hugh" commercials either; but don't give them any ideas.  Greta is one of those people who, when I see her face, I switch the channel.  I think she is trying to put on a good show; I don't have anything personally against her.  But like Megyn Kelly, I can't see her ever being able to wash the stink of Fox News off of herself.  Who knows, maybe I will be proven wrong.

Mr. Kemper and I have been watching Erin Burnett at 7 instead of Chris Matthews.  We have watched Chris for years, but his interruptions and over-talking are getting worse.  We looked forward to his interview with the reporter who lost it today with Sarah Huckabee; he was on for maybe 3-4 minutes.  Chris let him talk (a little) and then suddenly thanked him and went to a commercial.  Did anyone else notice this?  

Man, I was looking forward to what he had to say &, damn it, Chris just.can't.STFU!!  I changed the channel immediately!!!

• Love 1
(edited)

It's sad that MSNBC chose to cancel Greta's show  without a goodbye episode. Greta was attacked for her political views & some  viewers are uncomfortable with her physical appearance after numerous plastic surgeries. It's ironic that Trump attacked Mika for her alleged plastic surgery & the network defended  Mika but let Greta out to dry. Were her ratings worse than Halperin & Heileman's show?

Edited by oakville
  • Love 1

Greta just wasn't very good as a host.  She wasn't very articulate and had a very bad habit of slurring her words.  Although I think Chris Matthews has the same problem, he has the advantage of having been at MSNBC for a long time.     

• Love 3

I don't mind Greta, but I agree she is not a great host.

I am hoping MSNBC is keeping Joy in their pocket for when they get Matthews to retire.   I had hoped he'd do it when the election was over--but I think things are just to juicy and he can't seem to let go.

and......there's a blind item out there suggesting that NBC has buyers remorse over Kelly---that they're trying to figure out how to deal with her big contract.  

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

I hated Greta & I'm glad she's gone.  Next?  Kelly ... I don't like her mannerisms, voice or interview style.  I record her show for the other bits, but can't stand to watch her.

I too do not like Megan Kelly's voice or abrupt mannerisms...she comes across as "cold".  But, I do like the other stories that are being reported by interesting reporters like Harry Smith and Keith Morrison, loved Harry's story about the Penguins in Antartica and climate change

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I too do not like Megan Kelly's voice or abrupt mannerisms...she comes across as "cold".  But, I do like the other stories that are being reported by interesting reporters like Harry Smith and Keith Morrison, loved Harry's story about the Penguins in Antartica and climate change

I did like the story on New Zealand last week. I like Harry & Keith. I am not confident that Kelly is a fit for NBC.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BuckeyeLou said:

46 minutes ago, oakville said:

I did like the story on New Zealand last week. I like Harry & Keith. I am not confident that Kelly is a fit for NBC.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean ... I love the other stories!!

• Love 1
(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 3:16 PM, Milburn Stone said:

"Yes, Rachel and Lawrence are doing great in the ratings. They're doing great in the ratings because our new balance has made us a more credible network, making them more credible in the process. When MSNBC was nothing but 'if Trump is for it, we're against it,' we weren't as credible a news organization. The more we aren't perceived to have a knee-jerk agenda, the more people have come to trust Rachel and Lawrence."

More about how Greta is out at MSNBC.  (New York Times article)

Edited by jjj
15 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

I hated Greta & I'm glad she's gone.  Next?  Kelly ... I don't like her mannerisms, voice or interview style.  I record her show for the other bits, but can't stand to watch her.

15 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Was trying to merge with previous post.  Agree completely.

• Love 2
(edited)

Ari Melber might be a good journalist, but I saw him subbing for Maddow and he seemed like a real lightweight. Asking dumb, obvious questions; stretching out his questions so they took five times as long to ask as their content justified (loving-the-sound-of-your-own-voice phenomenon, or else how-do-I-fill-a-whole-hour phenomenon, or both); seeming super-pleased with himself in a way his actual performance didn't warrant.

I see his background and expertise are in the law. Maybe if he focuses his show on this?

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, oakville said:

It's sad that MSNBC chose to cancel Greta's show  without a goodbye episode. Greta was attacked for her political views & some  viewers are uncomfortable with her physical appearance after numerous plastic surgeries. It's ironic that Trump attacked Mika for her alleged plastic surgery & the network defended  Mika but let Greta out to dry. Were her ratings worse than Halperin & Heileman's show?

Her ratings weren't great.  It's too bad because she was always a fair and credible journalist no matter which network she was on.  But she's older and doofy, and doesn't fit the stereotype of the newswoman who is also a hot chick, which is generally the requirement now for a female to be a television journalist, whether it's national or local.

2 hours ago, Dobian said:

Her ratings weren't great.  It's too bad because she was always a fair and credible journalist no matter which network she was on.  But she's older and doofy, and doesn't fit the stereotype of the newswoman who is also a hot chick, which is generally the requirement now for a female to be a television journalist, whether it's national or local.

I don't see her as a journalist at all.  She gained her fame as a legal analyst for the OJ Simpson trial, and perhaps if they had kept her focus on legal issues, she would have had a better fit within the networks and the shows she populated.

On 6/29/2017 at 5:03 PM, vb68 said:

Not surprised at all about Greta. She didn't match the brand at all.

Given the odd mix of faces/political slants that is now MSNBC, I'm darned if I know what the brand is even supposed to be or if they can even realistically articulate what they want that brand to be.  

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Dobian said:

But she's older and doofy, and doesn't fit the stereotype of the newswoman who is also a hot chick, which is generally the requirement now for a female to be a television journalist, whether it's national or local.

If that were true, Andrea "Arms Greenspan" Mitchell would have been let go long ago.  

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, navelgazer said:

If that were true, Andrea "Arms Greenspan" Mitchell would have been let go long ago.  

Sure you can bring up individual examples, like Maddow, but the vast majority of women in television journalism across all stations and networks are way above average in attractiveness.  I'm sure a lot of better women journalists out there have lost jobs because of it.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Dobian said:

I wasn't able to watch the show often because I don't get home in time to watch it

MSNBC is running promos for a "new series"--Richard Engel-On Assignment---for 9 pm Friday nights.   So I wonder if that means every Friday and we only get Rachel 4 nights a week?   I know Lawrence regularly takes Fridays off.
Love Engel--but don't want to lose a night of Rachel.

• Love 3

Today I watched a bit of the show with Ali Velshi and Stephanie Ruhle.  I think it is Stephanie.  I like her and love Ali Velshi.  But.  I don't think they work all that well together.  They genuinely seem to like each other...but the pairing seems kind of forced.  They were discussing Universal Health Care...Ali was presenting the "pros" and she was presenting the other side..i.e., people don't want to be forced into purchasing something, they want to freedom to decide, yada yada yada.  Was it just me that got turned off?  And I don't know why.  I so look forward to any show with Ali Velshi and I like her show in the mornings.  I just get a teeny Fox vibe from her.  I know, I am imagining it.  

• Love 1

I like Ari and hope he does well, but I'm not surprised that time slot has a problem.  I tend to flip over to my local news at the start of that hour and then the national evening news at the half hour.  I've been skipping that time slot for a long time.

• Love 3
On 6/30/2017 at 1:55 PM, Milburn Stone said:

Ari Melber might be a good journalist, but I saw him subbing for Maddow and he seemed like a real lightweight. Asking dumb, obvious questions; stretching out his questions so they took five times as long to ask as their content justified (loving-the-sound-of-your-own-voice phenomenon, or else how-do-I-fill-a-whole-hour phenomenon, or both); seeming super-pleased with himself in a way his actual performance didn't warrant.

I see his background and expertise are in the law. Maybe if he focuses his show on this?

I think part of the problem is that Ari isn't really suited to Rachel's format.  He does much better filling in for Lawrence on The Last Word, IMO.  I don't catch The Point very often, but I think a more fast-moving format with multiple guests participating in a panel discussion better fits his style and strengths.  At the least, it would hide those flaws that you mentioned, which are more obvious on a show like Rachel's where it's all about the in-depth conversation with one guest at a time.

Since Ari's the network's chief legal correspondent, he's the one that other hosts tend to bring on when they need to understand case law or sometimes determine if something is actually illegal (vs. unethical, unpopular, etc.).  He could probably build a show off of that.

I tend to watch national news more than local, so I'd probably put his show on as dinnertime background at least.

I wonder if Joy doesn't want the hassle or commitment of a weeknight show.  She's definitely made an impression on viewers and had an impact on how the network covers things.  

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't see a forum for "Meet the Press," so will say that I enjoyed the July 7 Sunday show -- Lindsey Graham really tore into Trump and Putin, and the new DNC/RNC chairs were on the same panel -- first time meeting, on the show.  (Chuck Todd wished Sen. Graham a happy birthday, and Graham said he can now get a reverse mortgage; it was kind of cute from someone I don't expect to be cute.)  And quoting Carl Reiner about the Supreme Court at the end!  If you don't have time to watch, here's a transcript:  http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/meet-the-press-24-7/meet-press-july-9-2017-n781106 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, jjj said:

"Meet the Press"...I enjoyed the July 7 Sunday show -- Lindsey Graham really tore into Trump and Putin, and the new DNC/RNC chairs were on the same panel -- first time meeting, on the show.  (Chuck Todd wished Sen. Graham a happy birthday, and Graham said he can now get a reverse mortgage; it was kind of cute from someone I don't expect to be cute.)

I heard the show simulcast on satellite radio, and I too loved Lindsey Graham tearing into Trump. But can you explain the reverse mortgage joke? I didn't get it.

Also, I didn't make it to the end of the show, so what was the quote from Carl Reiner about the Supreme Court?

Graham turned 62 today, so I assume that is the age you need to be to get a reverse mortgage for income?  (Or he thinks that is the age -- it doesn't matter, and I'm guessing he does not need to use his house(s) value for income!).  But can't be said enough how satisfying it was to hear him use words like "dumbfounded" in regard to Trump.

Carl Reiner wrote an Opinion piece for the New York Times, urging that Justice Kennedy *not* retire -- Reiner is almost 15 years older than Kennedy (93), and tells him how productive he will be into his 80s and 90s, so stay on the Court and be productive there. (!)  The discussion on MTP was frank -- left-leaning saying "no, don't retire!" and the editor of the National Review admitting that "every Republican" wants Kennedy to retire, and that there are great barbecues and cross-country trips in Kennedy's future if he would just retire.  And they made the point the Sandra Day O'Connor eventually regretting leaving the Court to care for her husband -- regretted that she had lost her work there, not that she had cared for her husband.  This all was said in the space of about 90 seconds! 

1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:

I heard the show simulcast on satellite radio, and I too loved Lindsey Graham tearing into Trump. But can you explain the reverse mortgage joke? I didn't get it.

Also, I didn't make it to the end of the show, so what was the quote from Carl Reiner about the Supreme Court?

• Love 2

I missed Meet the Press this week and the rest of the political shows. I'm sorry I missed Graham. I could never stand his politics but his attacks on Trump are always must watch for me.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, rcc said:

I missed Meet the Press this week and the rest of the political shows. I'm sorry I missed Graham. I could never stand his politics but his attacks on Trump are always must watch for me.

It's online, and I posted a link to the transcript, above.  Hope you get to enjoy! 

• Love 1

I didn't like Greta at first but she was growing on me some.  It seemed like she was trying.  Can't seem to watch Ari who replaced her. I would have much preferred to see Joy in that time slot. She is outstanding on any show she is on whether she is a guest or a host.

• Love 1

I think Chris Jansing was in that time slot today (I get the daytime shows confused) -- but whoever she was covering for, she did her usual great job of interviewing.  And she has the best summer wardrobe -- today, coral sleeveless dress. 

• Love 2

I love Chris Jansing,too.  But I also love Ali Velshi and try to catch him whenever he is filling in for somebody.  The attractive brunette who is on after Morning Joe...Stephanie Ruhl? is starting to grow on me.  She is good but seems to be trying too hard...but getting more comfortable.  Or maybe I am.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mumbles said:

The BREAKING NEWS headline just now read, "Trump: Health Care Is Hard." I am really getting tired of the abuse of what constitutes breaking news.

That one actually sounds like an intentional parody. And yet I'm sure it isn't. Sigh.

• Love 3

I guess that is a variant of the original BREAKING NEWS two months ago:  "Trump:  Health Care is Hard.  Who Knew?"

I Learned something fascinating (to me!) on the "11th Hour" -- that after someone fills out the long, long, exhaustive security clearance form and submits it, a retired FBI agent sits down with the person in question and goes through every line:  "Are these all the foreign contacts you had?"  "Are these all the meetings you had with X?", etc.  And the commentator of course was flabbergasted that Jared just added over 100 names to the form he had already amended twice.  But also said that the President could grant clearance to anyone.  Which makes me wonder why they even bother with the forms?  That might have been Jared's attitude -- "I'm going to have top security clearance, so it doesn't matter what I say."  Despite the warning about the federal penalties for filling out the application incorrectly. 

1 hour ago, Mumbles said:

The BREAKING NEWS headline just now read, "Trump: Health Care Is Hard." I am really getting tired of the abuse of what constitutes breaking news.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Gah!  I get so tired of Stephanie Ruhle interrupting the panelists.  I hate her.

Completely agree -- saw her by accident yesterday midday-- Jared had just added 100+ foreign contacts to his original security clearance form, and she screeched "I don't even KNOW 100 foreigners" -- when everyone ignored her she said it louder.  The panel was trying to have a serious discussion. 

• Love 1

No, who thought it would be a good idea to give Hugh Hewitt a show on MSNBC?  It's like Fox News has camped out -- first segment was about the big story that no one paid attention to this week:  the need to investigate James Comey for criminal behavior.  

• Love 3

I really like Ari Melbar, but last night I so missed Ali Velshi at 6:00.  Kinda wish they had given that slot to Velshi; Ari is wonderful, really smart (and gorgeous) but I think I like him better as a commentator and legal analyst.  I saw Ali Velshi's take-town of Trump products yesterday and it was brilliant.  Of course, Stephanie Ruhl had to do it this morning on her show, and it wasn't nearly as effective.  Or wonderfully snarky.  I wish she would kind of take a chill-pill before she comes on-air.  It is too much for me at 9:00 and I find myself turning to CNN.  Or HGTV.

• Love 3