Type keyword(s) to search

The Sounds of Our Lives (formerly General Music Discussion)

• Start Topic

I listen to the hair metal station on XM and was thinking about him after hearing one of their songs.  I was the typical hair band groupie back in the day.  I moved to Southern CA in 1987 and by 1988 I was living with roommates right off of Hollywood Blvd, which was the place to be at the time.  Then, of course, weekends on Sunset Blvd.  I don't go to either of those places too often anymore, but when I do, the nostalgia hits me so strong, I practically choke on it  :)

My favorite was Poison.  To this day, in spite of the sleazy Rock of Love (which I didn't watch, but heard enough about), I still love Brett Michaels.  My husband used to work in the film industry and they did a scene at his house once.  I was working and couldn't get there to visit him, so he got to spend time hanging out with Brett.  To this day, I growl when I hear about it (jokingly, mostly  :)  He'll say to someone "I met Brett Michaels!" and I'll grumble back "Shut up.".  Anyway, he was nice enough to sign a picture of himself from back in his glory days that said "Shannon, Talk dirty to me.  Love, Brett".  *sigh*

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I listen to the hair metal station on XM and was thinking about him after hearing one of their songs.  I was the typical hair band groupie back in the day.  I moved to Southern CA in 1987 and by 1988 I was living with roommates right off of Hollywood Blvd, which was the place to be at the time.  Then, of course, weekends on Sunset Blvd.  I don't go to either of those places too often anymore, but when I do, the nostalgia hits me so strong, I practically choke on it  :)

My favorite was Poison.  To this day, in spite of the sleazy Rock of Love (which I didn't watch, but heard enough about), I still love Brett Michaels.  My husband used to work in the film industry and they did a scene at his house once.  I was working and couldn't get there to visit him, so he got to spend time hanging out with Brett.  To this day, I growl when I hear about it (jokingly, mostly  :)  He'll say to someone "I met Brett Michaels!" and I'll grumble back "Shut up.".  Anyway, he was nice enough to sign a picture of himself from back in his glory days that said "Shannon, Talk dirty to me.  Love, Brett".  *sigh*

Now that is an awesome story.  :-)

I'm having my own day of mourning for the end of The Tragically Hip.  I still have Courage (For Hugh MacLennan) on my favorites playlist, along with a few other songs.  Gord Downie having terminal brain cancer, the farewell show tonight... I've been feeling teary all day.  I found their music in the 90's and have been listening ever since.

Dolly Parton is atop the Billboard Country Album charts for the first time since 1991

That's fantastic; Blue Smoke made the first time she'd been in the top ten since the late '80s, and it's so great to see her follow up with a return to the very top.

13 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

YouTube, which is an excuse MTV in recent years has given as to why it doesn't play videos anymore.

Well, that sucks. I just want to put a channel on the TV & let it go. I don't mind the occasional 15 years old Disney pop princess, but I don't want to see nothing but videos starring kids too young to drink. I haven't even seen a Beyonce video since it switched.

10 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

YouTube, which is an excuse MTV in recent years has given as to why it doesn't play videos anymore.

I think they only run videos when someone dies now. That's what they did with Prince in April (as did BET). 

Dylan's CDs are being snapped up in Japan, and Sony? is going to put out a(another) boxed set of his works very soon.   In the Miscellaneous Celebrity News thread, we talked about This Wheel's On Fire being used on Absolutely Fabulous for years.  I wonder how much  he has made from that one song.

1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

The brand new Train song, "Play That Song", uses the melody of the 1930s Hoagy Carmichael song, "Heart and Soul".

I didn't even have to listen to the video to know what it would sound like :-)

So Kanye has cancelled the rest of his tour after a very strange performance over the weekend. Kanye has always had an ego and always said outrageous things (Kanye 2020) but I think it's time to look at Kanye and ask if he's okay mentally? This behavior is strange even for him.

• Love 1

As someone who has been a fan of Kanye's music since his first album, I have thought it's been obvious for years that there's clearly something going on with him beyond just his usual ego-driven crap. I am not a fan of armchair diagnosing people I don't know personally, but again, I have been a fan of Kanye's music since he came onto the scene and while he had his outbursts sure, they weren't these crazy, batshit crazy ramblings that have come to define him in recent years. 

I feel awful for the fans who paid money to see him. I went to two Coldplay concerts in one weekend and if they had cancelled three hours ahead of time I would have first been devastated, then I would have been furious!

• Love 1

The sad thing is if there is something wrong, it's not like Kanye is surrounded by strong support systems to help him out. The Ks are more likely to use it for ratings. Kanye is such a talent but it does feel in some ways like we've reached a breaking point where whatever is going on has become bigger than the talent. I don't want to diagnose him, but having seen other stars like Amanda Bynes, Britney Spears or Lindsay Lohan struggle I don't want to see it happen to someone again.

I am so depressed I have been avoiding news and just catching up on my books because honestly I needed to secure my mental health for a bit.  Catching up on my Entertainment Weeklys finally and what do I see my beloved Leonard Cohen has gone to join the Hallelujah choir, I started crying because I thought we had more time.  I fell in love with his voice so many years ago in the oddest way I saw "Pump up the Volume" and his song Everybody Knows was used in the movie.

I work in a library and we were sorting CD's to send back to their libraries and I came across one of his greatest hits CD's.  I recognized his face even though as far as I knew I'd never seen him before I recognized a few of the songs and I took it home and I knew I'd fallen in true love.  I listen to other artists versions of his songs and I loved them too but there was such a quality to his voice it's like he knew me, knew my pain, knew my wants, knew my fears, found so many parts of me that I did not know existed yet.  I knew he'd been ill that he'd recorded parts of what were his last album in bed but I was not ready for it.  2016 has been a trial and so many legends just gone and now my beloved Leonard Cohen.  Hallelujah, we were blessed to know him.  

• Love 1

Hard to believe, but today marks 36 years since John Lennon was gunned down. I was only 8 when it happened, but I knew of his music with The Beatles from an early age and can still recall all the DJs on the radio and everyday folks being in shock.

I also - years ago - finally saw on YT where the late Howard Cosell announced his passing in the midst of ABC's Monday Night Football game. It is still just so tragic.

RIP, John Lennon.

As an eerie aside, "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott of Pantera was also gunned down 12 years ago today by a deranged fan at a show of his. That's just chilling. I hope both men are enjoying the afterlife (if one believes in such) on the other side.

I know this has been a bad year for musicians deaths (amd celebrities in general), but there are two good things 29016 in music that I can think of: both Guns N' Roses and the Dixie Chicks went on their headlining tours in years; the Chicks in particular visited parts of the US that hadn't been able to tour since 2003 (specifically the South and the Midwest). 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1
On 9/11/2016 at 0:44 AM, GaT said:

MTV Hits is now Nick Music. It suddenly happened yesterday & I am not happy. They're apparently going to be featuring more teen friendly videos which sucks IMO. I also watch Fuse sometimes, but they seem to be turning into MTV & are showing less music & more movies & shows. Where are all the videos being shown?

MTV Classic has been playing videos pretty much 24/7 since the new year. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

MTV Classic has been playing videos pretty much 24/7 since the new year. 

Yes, but it's stuff from the past, they don't play anything current. 

18 minutes ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

Where are all the videos being shown?

Honestly? YouTube. At least, that's the excuse MTV gave at one time. But I, too, miss when MTV actually stood for Music Television. You notice the M logo has been cut at the bottom and gone is "Music Television" from beneath it.

• Love 1

I am sadly officially old.  VH1 Classic has become MTV Classic Pearl Jam, Presidents of the United States, and Notorious B.I.G. all just graced my television screen you live long enough the music of your teens will become "oldies."  I had been told as much but I really didn't believe it.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Ms.Moon said:

I am sadly officially old.  VH1 Classic has become MTV Classic Pearl Jam, Presidents of the United States, and Notorious B.I.G. all just graced my television screen you live long enough the music of your teens will become "oldies."  I had been told as much but I really didn't believe it.

I've been old for a while. I'm guessing almost ten years older than you. I had a moment like this when Sirius did a special on the 25th anniversary of Nirvana's Nevermind.  Twenty Five Years Ago.

It did take me back to one of the most interesting discussions I had during my life about music. It probably changed my mind about lots of things.  Smells Like Teen Spirit had been a gigantic hit for about a month when it came on the radio in the car with my friend and me.  He thoughtfully and honestly stated that he didn't understand why this was such a big hit and yet his favorite stuff (I believe it was the Bodeans at the time) weren't enormously popular. 

I probably said something like, "this is a really good song dude."  But in my head I thought, "How does he not see how this is amazing and the Bodeans are okay, but don't carry anywhere the kind of power this song carries?"  

From that point on, I started to change my mind about music. Music is art. Art is subjective. If a lot of people like a piece of art that does absolutely nothing for me, I need to appreciate that it's a great piece of art. And that it's okay that I don't like it, and that I should damn well not bother telling other people why I think THEY are wrong about it. I can tell them why it's not for me. That's fine, and probably even a good way to have a healthy discussion.

• Love 1

I bet I'm older still, and believe me, it gets worse. Wait until you hit the stage where young'uns have never even HEARD of your favourite bands. Twenty-five years? Try forty or more.

I watched a BBC documentary called "Forever Young: How Rock & Roll Grew Up" and one of the classic lines was, "I can't pretend I didn't  grow up with the Beatles. I don't believe music started with Siouxsie & The Banshees."

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Ms.Moon said:

You really want to know what "old" feels like? Check out some of the tweets from when Kanye West & Paul McCartney recorded a song together.

enhanced-14422-1420218638-8.png

paul-mccartney-who-1.png

9163dca45f7d25ec52bafd136da97b12.png

My favorite

enhanced-3093-1420218294-11.png

• Love 3

I remember the first time I started hearing my childhood favorites on oldies stations and yeah, it gets worse.  Wait till you hear them in commercials! 

I remember once being at a concert and before it started, they were playing some of the band's favorite rock and roll music as entertainment and Shook Me All Night Long came on and behind us, we heard a young man exclaim "Guns and Roses!"  No....just no.....

• Love 3

I like all types of music so it is nice to see 90's hits together even though when the same songs were on MTV they may not have aired together in the same block outside of TRL.  Growing up oldies meant 70's then 80's music and thanks to my parents (teens during the 70's) I really like the music of that period it's just that I didn't think my music would be oldies yet because many artists of that period are still making music if they had not died due to heroin overdose or being shot.  I mean Daft Punk is still making extraordinary music but then so are the Stones so I guess they still have a long ways to go.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I've been old for a while. I'm guessing almost ten years older than you. I had a moment like this when Sirius did a special on the 25th anniversary of Nirvana's Nevermind.  Twenty Five Years Ago.

I was eighteen the year Sweet Child O'Mine was the number one song in the country, and I remember that I spent much of that summer idolizing Axl Rose. When Rose turned out to be a self-destructive asshat, it was like finding out there was no Santa Claus.

I think we all cycle through what music we love, what touches us. I know I have, since I'm working my way through Springsteen's catalog again and reliving bits and pieces of my misspent youth.

One thing I do like about music I loved discovering when I was a kid becoming really old is that I can bring my daughter back into Hot Topic and walk out of there with a great Highway to Hell t-shirt for myself. I get to wear it un-ironically. 

• Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 1:23 AM, Silver Raven said:

Two members of Tower of Power were hit by a train in Oakland today, and are in the hospital.

Since there's a lot of "old" talk going on I'm old enough to know who Tower of Power is and those guys are some of the most amazing musicians.  I hope the two members are making a full recovery.

• Love 2

For the Gen X people (like me!), it was announced that a deluxe soundtrack from the movie Singles is being released in May in a 2-CD set, with some previously-unreleased material and inclusion of a song by the (fictional) band Citizen Dick "fronted" by Matt Dillon's character (and with Eddie Vedder as backup...) If anyone is curious, here is all the info.

• Love 1

That's one of those movies where I adored it at the time, and then watched it again when I was older and thought, "God, we really were unbearable!"  (But the garage door opener?  And "We will always go dancing"?  I'm still there for it.)  And I never stopped loving the soundtrack.  A friend and I - while, admittedly, quite drunk - once listened to Would dozens of times in a row.  And Dyslexic Heart still makes me smile.  So, interesting news - thanks.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

That's one of those movies where I adored it at the time, and then watched it again when I was older and thought, "God, we really were unbearable!" 

And its one of those 'really dated' movies with Bridget Fonda's character lounging on the roof with a super long cord attached to her telephone.  Lol.

but I too loved the soundtrack, that was my music.

Edited by Hanahope
  • Love 1