Type keyword(s) to search

The Sounds of Our Lives (formerly General Music Discussion)

• Start Topic

Don't like the deal, don't sign the contract.

That's part of the problem.  The record companies haven't caught up with how music/entertainment is obtained today.  Streaming and downloading is more prevalent now.   If anything, many artists have a bit more freedom to sell their own music by using digital methods.  I've seen smaller artists (like some authors) self publish and record their music and operate online.  If they go to crowd funding sites they can raise money for music videos too.     

Otherwise, the songwriters/producers need to better scope the fine print of those contracts. 

I've been listening to her new album for about a week now and like it a lot---and I'm so bummed to hear that her most retro seductive track on there, "24" , was actually in contention to be the next Bond theme, but that beyond boring Sam Smith track got chosen instead, ugh!!

My *only* complaint about this album is that it sounds a bit too sparse, slow and unproduced on quite a few tracks---aside from "High By the Beach" and "Music to Watch Boys To", a few of the tracks could've really sounded much better had they been sped up a bit tempo-wise, given a few more heavy beats, and some added instrumentation. Let's just say the pacing of the album gets a bit too slow and languid at times.

For instance, "Honeymoon" is a gorgeous track, but it could've used far more instrumentation/added effects to enhance its natural beauty. The final track, "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" would've sounded so much better and sassier had it been given a more uptempo jazzy/soulful feel. And I think "24" definitely would've gotten picked as the Bond theme had it only been given a heavier hand with the typical Bond-like orchestral and dramatic instrumental flourishes that would benefit its vibe.

I hate to blame her producer((like whoever produced her "Born to Die" album was brilliant!)), but I think a bolder, more theatrical producer could've turned this very good album into a very grand masterpiece---I honestly wish this whole album had almost been given the Phil Spector treatment.

• Love 1

This has been making me bonkers for the past 2 weeks - the earliest song I remember hearing with rapid fire lyrics was probably back in the mid-late 70s.  No one in my neck of the swamp had heard of hip hop or rap, the song probably straddled the pop and rock genres and, if I recall correctly, the rapid fire cadence lasted through the entire song.

I can pull up a thin thread from my memory banks, but then more modern stuff gets commingled.  I asked my Music Trivia Failsafe friend and while he remembers it, he can't remember the artist or put together any lyrics either.  Google-fu said FU to me.

Can anyone please help?

This has been making me nuts for weeks - the closest I can come to describing it is similar to the rapid fire lyrics of REMs It's the End of the World as We Know It.

The problem is I start to get a sliver of the rhythm going in my head and then REM takes over and I know that is not it.

I'm not sure what you would call the style of It's the End of the World, but I wouldn't call it rap.  The song was like that - not rap-esque.

Thanks for trying though!  I'll be going mad quietly in my corner of the world....

Maybe because "One Night in Bangkok" is from the musical "Chess", "Puttin' on the Ritz" is an Irving Berlin song from the movie of the same name, & "Rock Me Amadeus" was inspired by the movie "Amadeus". All 3 are from musicals/movies.

This has been making me nuts for weeks - the closest I can come to describing it is similar to the rapid fire lyrics of REMs It's the End of the World as We Know It.

The problem is I start to get a sliver of the rhythm going in my head and then REM takes over and I know that is not it.

I'm not sure what you would call the style of It's the End of the World, but I wouldn't call it rap.  The song was like that - not rap-esque.

Thanks for trying though!  I'll be going mad quietly in my corner of the world....

Any chance its "Life is a Rock (But the Radio Rolled Me)?" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16kh-AP4OCU

Back to pseudo-rap songs of yesteryear -- could you be thinking about "We Didn't Start the Fire," DeLurker?

As someone who still really likes Billy Joel's music, I hate We Didn't Start the Fire because its so clearly a ripoff of R.E.M. It's The End Of The World As We Know It.

As someone who still really likes Billy Joel's music, I hate We Didn't Start the Fire because its so clearly a ripoff of R.E.M. It's The End Of The World As We Know It.

As another Billy Joel fan, I never thought of the song as a R.E.M. ripoff.  Still don't.   I still enjoy listening to it and think it's as relevant as it ever was.  In fact, there have been times when I would love to hear a "We Didn't Start The Fire Pt. 2" which picks up on the major historic events since the late 80s. 

• Love 1

Adele's new song. It's a hell of a good one, I think.

Someone jokes in a comment on YT "After the first #Helloooo#, who else was  expecting her to say #is it me you're looking for?#??".

I laughed. I certainly did. But it didn't ruin the song (which takes off well after that).

And what's the deal with the flip phone Adele? Is that (even more than the black and white) supposed to convey this happens in the past?

Well.. that and landline phones too...

• Love 3

And what's the deal with the flip phone Adele? Is that (even more than the black and white) supposed to convey this happens in the past?

Well.. that and landline phones too...

I didn't even notice that, because I have both.

I'm so glad Adele is finally back with new music!  I like the song, but I find the video annoying when you can hear his dialogue softly at the same time she's singing; quite distracting.

Admittedly, I've only heard a few of her songs but does Adele ever do "happy" songs?  She has a great voice but all I've heard are dirges.  The constantly blowing hair and piled on makeup in that video are distracting. 

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

Our PBS channel gave us the most beautiful concert last night....Il Volo, from Pompeii.  They think of themselves as being popopera ;))  We love this amazing group and this show was beautiful and fun to watch.  I've never seen such audience enthusiasm during a performance.

So what can anyone tell me about the now defunct group My Chemical Romance?

My just turned 16 year old daughter is enamored with this band, especially someone named Frank Iero?  Should I be worried?

::giggle::

OK, so I like this song (even though it started out as a Jeep commercial), but the guy's pronunciation bugs the hell out of me.  He can't pronounces final -s.  It comes across as renegade-zh and kid-zh and Kubrick-sh.

Oh, and I hate that Shawn Mendes is only 17.  Dammit.

My just turned 16 year old daughter is enamored with this band, especially someone named Frank Iero?  Should I be worried?

Don't know much about Frank, but you should be ok. I am not huge MCR fan, but they are fairly talented I think and have the standard Teen Angst from the 2000s. It happens and is it not too much to worry about.

• Love 1

Seems a bit odd for a 16 year old to be that into a group that's been around since 2001. They're all in their late 30s now. Iero actually I think is one of the youngest, admittedly (The Internet says he's only 34).  He's married with kids though, so... perhaps despite him being a tatted up rocker type that makes him less of a dangerous fantasy figure.

• Love 1

Seems a bit odd for a 16 year old to be that into a group that's been around since 2001. They're all in their late 30s now. Iero actually I think is one of the youngest, admittedly (The Internet says he's only 34).  He's married with kids though, so... perhaps despite him being a tatted up rocker type that makes him less of a dangerous fantasy figure.

Got a 14 yo and I don't find it unusual.  My daughter really likes some of the same bands I like - Gin Blossoms and Foo Fighters especially, but also some of my Patsy Cline, Hank Williams (I only acknowledge the original), the Cure,...that contrasts sharply with the rest of her musical taste - J pop and K pop.  But her expoure to music also is influenced by what her friends like and some older bands that I never cared for make the cut.  A couple of her friends are very into Nirvana (who I never liked), Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots...

• Love 2

Thanks for the thoughts all ... my daughter has a very diversified music repertoire.  I once took her to Bon Journey (a pretty popular 80's tribute band) ... she was 13 at the time, and she sang every Journey and Bon Jovi song they did ... people asked me how old she was and how did she know that music ... I was like, I raised her well.

I have taken her to Elton John and Barry Manilow ... I know, I know ... but she wanted!

Turns out we are going to see Frank Iero this upcoming weekend.  I did enough research to know he is pretty harmless, she about had a heart attack when I told her I would take her. 

She is an artist and is in the middle of digitally drawing a picture of him, will share when she is done.

Again, thanks!

I'm a 52-year-old female who has the opposite problem with music than most people my age do: it's not loud enough! Most everything I've heard in the last few years on so-called commercial "alternative" station bores the hell out of me. It's appalling that 75% of what gets played on alternative stations is also played on Top 40 and adult contemporary stations now. Sometimes, I can't tell which station I'm listening to.

The only bands I can remember hearing on commercial radio that I got really excited about this year were Royal Blood, Death From Above, the Bohicas, and Merchandise. Last year, we lost the only true alternative station we had; it was where I could usually listen to several songs in a row. I have 14 stations preset on my car radio--shamefully, one is Radio Disney even though I have no kids!--and am constantly punching them because I don't like the next song. R.I.P., KZME. I discovered so many wonderful alternative bands there, and still have a long list of them to check out further. I have always loved the excitement of discovering a new (to me) band and wanting to get all their albums ASAP. It's rather like having a crush because for a while I can't stop thinking about them and just sort of eat/drink/sleep their music. 

Yet, I also adore Taylor Swift's earlier albums, and people such as Carly Rae Jepsen. I've never been totally immune to the occasional Top 40 song, such as "Call Me Maybe," and still maintain that the Jonas Brothers' "Paranoia" is awesome!

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 2

Has a video ever made you like a song less or just ruined it for you? I thought of the topic because I just turned on MTV & saw this

Pray to God by Calvin Harris featuring HAIM. It's just a bad video IMO, in this case I still like the song, I just like it less

On the other hand, I really used to like Take Back the Night by Justin Timberlake until I saw the video. It completely ruined the song for me. I could live with the fact that it's so obviously filmed on a backlot, but I truly despise the clothes he is wearing. Enough that I just don't ever want to hear the song again.

So, is it just me, or does this happen to anyone else?

This has been making me bonkers for the past 2 weeks - the earliest song I remember hearing with rapid fire lyrics was probably back in the mid-late 70s.  No one in my neck of the swamp had heard of hip hop or rap, the song probably straddled the pop and rock genres and, if I recall correctly, the rapid fire cadence lasted through the entire song.

I can pull up a thin thread from my memory banks, but then more modern stuff gets commingled.  I asked my Music Trivia Failsafe friend and while he remembers it, he can't remember the artist or put together any lyrics either.  Google-fu said FU to me.

Can anyone please help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WWHdBuOC6Q  Delurker, could this be it?

• Love 1

Sadly no, but thanks for reminding me of this song!  Jeez...how long has it been since that was played on the radio?  Back when Bog had the best hair...

But this is the closest to what I am thinking of...right time frame too (if my memory is at all working).

A classic example of this would be the video for Billy Squire's song "Rock Me Tonight." His career never really recovered from it. Hard rock fans in the 1980s were not ready for a guy awkwardly skipping around a pastel bedroom set with pink satin sheets, wearing (and humping) a pink shirt, and making duck lips decades before that was a thing. Kinda undermined the macho image he'd built for himself.

Scout Finch, I too like Royal Blood.

If you like UK alternative music, do treat yourself to the Manic Street Preachers, if you haven't already. I'm one of their North American cheerleaders. Mostly unknown in North America.

Suggestions:

Motorcycle Emptiness -

Little Baby Nothing -

Faster -

Yes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd3C9aAupQI (explicit content)

A Design for Life -

Your Love Alone (is not Enough) -

Bag Lady -

Peeled Apples -

Let's Go to War -

Europa Geht Durch Mich -

Edited by Frozendiva

I feel like Janet Jackson's No Sleep video is bad. Bad in the sense that I feel like it wasn't very creative, the family pics were out of place and it should've taken me back to the days of the "That's the Way Love Goes." Instead I felt like Janet was way too covered up and it was too dark or something. It was going for sexy and it didn't work. Not that Janet needed to be naked or something when I said she was too covered up. Was she going to work? Perhaps I just had a certain idea in my head after hearing the song so much that the video just didn't match up. I would maybe feel differently if I had seen both together I think. 

I just watched the music video to "Holiday Road" earlier this year for the first time.  I expected the video to be light and about a road trip.  Yeah...no.

I heard this song on a Nexus phone ad and thought it was catchy.  I decided to locate the song and music video "Tongues" by Joywave.  I got naked people and an Akira-esque clothes monster.  That pretty much killed the song for me.

Biz Buzz--

As you may or may not know, collectible figures of different types (mostly vinyl, with oversized heads, similar to--but NOT actually--a bobblehead) called "Funko (followed by a specific type, like "Pop") are something of a "thing" right now (at least in certain fandoms). They're modeled after NFL players, Disney, Peanuts & other cartoon characters, sci-fi & fantasy characters, movie & TV characters, etc.

If you wanna see the characters/people they've created Funkos for, here's their website:

http://funko.com/

Scroll to the blue section at the bottom & hit "Licenses"; you can at least see which TV Shows & Movies they have character likenesses for by clicking on the logo for the show or movie.

I've been following the Funko company on my Twitter feed recently because my favorite TV show since 2010 *finally* has recently started licensing merchandise & I'm hoping Funko might eventually get a license to do "Pop"s or another form of Funko in the likeness of the characters from that show.

Anyway...

It came across my Twitter feed today that they are now making Funko "Pop"s of at least 1 of the singers (I think the lead singer) of My Chemical Romance, the group you asked about in this thread the other day--they're the same singer, in 2-3 different versions due to special makeup &/or costuming worn during the song depicted by the figure. So I'm sharing the link to an article which talks about & shows pictures of the figures.

http://www.altpress.com/news/entry/funko_pop_rocks_launching_my_chemical_romance_figures

The only problems, if you might wanna get these for your daughter for a present this holiday season, are (if they're actually problems): 1.

You can only get these figures at Hot Topic stores (a chain which has stores in many/most malls around the country) or, apparently, through their website (hot topic.com--remove the space between "hot" & "topic").

2. The linked article says at least 1 of the figures is somehow, apparently, already sold out despite the fact they were apparently just announced today.

Alternatively, I also found out the Hot Topic website also carries *a bunch* of My Chemical Romance T-shirts, other clothing, & accessories--again in case you're looking for holiday presents/stocking stuffers for your daughter.

As for the taking your daughter to see Barry Manilow twice thing--there's absolutely NO shame in seeing him more than once. As you can maybe tell by my screen name, I'm a fan (BIG fan). I've seen him WAY more than twice; even beyond single (& double) digits. My 2 best friends (who I met through being a fan of his) & I did a meet & greet with him (the same night, but individually), when he was doing a Las Vegas Headliner Residency (a la Celine Dion) in 1 of the resorts there, 8 years & almost 2 months ago. He's 1 of the nicest guys you could ever meet; we got to talk to him for a few minutes each & got pics & autographs, & other stuff, & I got a kiss on my right cheek... Which I DID NOT ask for.

• Love 1

Scott Weiland of Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver fame has passed away. My heart is heavy. Very sad news.

Just coming to post this. Another one who could not overcome his demons and drowned them in addiction. A shame. He was a talented musician. Loudwire has some of the details of what happened.

• Love 1

OMG, I must be going insane.  I actually like Bieber's "Sorry".  I think it might be the horns, though.

I, uh, may have bought the album... I've liked all the singles so far and decided to give the rest a listen and l liked that as well. It's good, apart from a dirge called "Life is worth living" that is maudlin and preachy and just all-around terribly written. Strangely enough, a great strength of the set is actually that thematically it's a confused mish-mash of sincere regret, self-pity, defiance, "dissing the haterz", heart-break, love songs, hook up songs, break up songs, religion, whatever. And it's got catchy beats that suit his voice.  In contrast to his PR apology tour, IMO the persona on that record is reasonably compelling. It's not particularly likeable, but that's not necessary as he's now making successful strides to transition out of the kiddie market.

The rebranding with Bieber is one of the more surprising mainstream music stories this year IMO. He seemed so stuck in his little boy image and then his all around toolishness looked like it had done the rest to kill his career. But they've used it to kinda lay the groundwork for a more adult persona. He's found a sort of cool, electronica-flavoured sound that suits his vocals. And it's always been evident that beneath all that douchebaggery there's some talent and sincere interest and drive when it comes to his music.

Edited by katha
  • Love 1