Type keyword(s) to search

S34: Jeff Varner

Jabu
  • Start Topic

Hi.  I'm from Australian Outback and Cambodia (aka Second Chances).  And I'm hoping to make the best of this chance since it might be my last shot at the game.

In that case, if it's his last chance, he'd better not play too hard like he did in Cambodia.

• Love 1

I say this as a Varner fan, but if he can't even make the jury his third time, it should be his last time.  I'm actually surprised he got a third chance.  Considering he was the king of pre game alliance during Cambodia, I have a hard time believing him in his cast video that he's keeping an open mind and wanting to work with everybody.  But he did say that he's trying something new, since his last two strategies didn't work.  He seems kind of different in his tone, so we'll see.

Varner does seem to be pretty sincere and aware of everything that went wrong for him before.  I would like to see him do well.  

• Love 2

I like Jeff and enjoyed his TH's,   so I'm happy to see him on this cast.    If he's as tired about being a retread as I am about seeing retreads --then Jeff will probably relax and enjoy.   I hope he's tribed up with nutty Debbie. love her.

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 3:34 AM, LadyChatts said:

I say this as a Varner fan, but if he can't even make the jury his third time, it should be his last time.  I'm actually surprised he got a third chance.  Considering he was the king of pre game alliance during Cambodia, I have a hard time believing him in his cast video that he's keeping an open mind and wanting to work with everybody.  But he did say that he's trying something new, since his last two strategies didn't work.  He seems kind of different in his tone, so we'll see.

Varner does seem to be pretty sincere and aware of everything that went wrong for him before.  I would like to see him do well.  

It's funny but I never even gave a thought that's he never made jury. I know he hasn't but just seeing typed out made it more real. LOL!! I agree if he doesn't make the jury it's a fail and 3 strikes and you are out. That said, he was an hysterical narrator for Second Chances. So much so that I thought he was the winner or in the Final 2/3. You can't always believe the edit. LOL!!!!

• Love 2
8 hours ago, ByaNose said:

It's funny but I never even gave a thought that's he never made jury. I know he hasn't but just seeing typed out made it more real. LOL!! I agree if he doesn't make the jury it's a fail and 3 strikes and you are out. That said, he was an hysterical narrator for Second Chances. So much so that I thought he was the winner or in the Final 2/3. You can't always believe the edit. LOL!!!!

It's too bad he never made the jury because I bet he would be a fun, or at least interesting, juror. 

I enjoy his talking heads and the way he always gravitates toward the bitchiest/craziest people (Alicia/Abi, etc). 

It does feel a bit too soon, given that it was nearly 15 yrs between his first and second stint and now it feels like he was just out there. I also wonder about his health, he seemed to have some kind of COPD-like symptoms this last go around. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ljenkins782 said:

I also wonder about his health, he seemed to have some kind of COPD-like symptoms this last go around. 

I think I remember reading that he actually has COPD and finding it shocking they'd even let him compete with that, so I'm surprised they're letting him go out again.

He looked like he struggled during S31, which is also why I'm surprised he is back.  It does appear as though he's lost some weight since last time, so we'll see if that helps.

It does feel a bit too soon, given that it was nearly 15 yrs between his first and second stint and now it feels like he was just out there. I also wonder about his health, he seemed to have some kind of COPD-like symptoms this last go around. 

It's funny that I forgot just how old school some of these players are.  Even Cirie and Sandra (who haven't played in 13 seasons) don't feel like old schoolers because they were on some of the more recent seasons.  I was thinking the same thing about Jeff, then I got re-watching Outback, and it's like I forgot he was even apart of that season.  I have to say that I am disappointed people who played on Second Chances came back so soon.  Equally, they brought back Troy and Brad who missed the fan vote that season, but couldn't bring back one of the women who did?

It's too bad he never made the jury because I bet he would be a fun, or at least interesting, juror. 

I enjoy his talking heads and the way he always gravitates toward the bitchiest/craziest people (Alicia/Abi, etc). 

I remember way back during the second season of Big Brother (which aired just a couple of months after Outback concluded), and Varner and Alicia, along with Sue and Gervase from Borneo, crashed the house for a night.  It's too bad that CBS wasn't about crossing contestants over to other shows back then, because I got thinking how hysterical Jeff would be in the Big Brother house.

• Love 1

I too hope he makes it to the jury as I want to see him in Ponderosa.  I love his snark which can be catty but also doesn't seem mean.  I hope he doesn't get on the wrong side of the some of the testosterone ala Culpepper. I don't know why but I feel like some personality conflict like that might be a factor.  That and his health.  if he can't do challenges he might be jettisoned. 

• Love 1

I've been re-watching Outback, and I forgot how funny he was in his TH there.  I wish Varner had been brought back on an earlier AS season.  He probably would have done a lot better.  Jeff said in his cast assessment that Varner would do well siding with old school players.  To which I want to ask, who exactly?  Cirie, Sandra, Ozzy, and JT are the only pre HvsV crowd, and I don't know if JT would really be old school.

It's amazing that he didn't make the jury in Outback. I watched that season and even I thought he had. Hopefully, he can make the jury this time. I think he would love hanging out at Ponderosa and then sitting in at night listening to all the going ons at camp. I know from his interviews he said he isn't going to play as hard. I think there should be bigger fish to fry then him in the early days.

6 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I didn't enjoy him last time, unlike most here.  I hope he's not the official narrator during his run this time.

I did't like him either. I can't remember if I liked him the first time around, but I'm gonna bet I didn't.

• Love 2
On 3/5/2017 at 10:50 AM, Winston9-DT3 said:

Yeah, he does have COPD and I too am surprised they let him play again.  I didn't enjoy him last time, unlike most here.  I hope he's not the official narrator during his run this time.  I'm hoping given his health he'll be among the first to go.  So watch he'll be kept around as a goat.  

Makes me wonder about a COPD  "diagnoses"   when a paunchy (what ..pushing 60? yo) can run , swim, climb etc. and keep up with the pack in doing that.  Granted he was a bit lame in the cage for lifting but the 'aerobic' stuff seemed little problem.  I'm not actually doubting that he says he has it or has been told he has it... but not really sure what that means if he can keep up with the pack in something so physical.    My doubts are with the medical community  and their desire to give you 'something' as you age. 

Oh I think he has it.  I didn't see him keeping up with the pack.  I think it typically starts mild and gets worse.  My dad had it for decades before it killed him.  I recall wondering if he paid a doctor to make it up to qualify for medical retirement from his pilot job, because he remained healthy looking for so long after diagnosis.  I remember Jeff saying about the last season he played that normally his COPD doesn't slow him down in life at all but he got to Cambodia and it just hit him like a ton of bricks.  The humidity or something made it bad there, I think.  I think his tribemates said afterward that he was really physically in awful shape there, between the cardio issue and the foot problem.  I think it might've been a new-ish diagnosis, too.  And I think he was a lifelong smoker, too, wasn't he?  

4 hours ago, seasick said:

Makes me wonder about a COPD  "diagnoses"   when a paunchy (what ..pushing 60? yo) can run , swim, climb etc. and keep up with the pack in doing that. 

He is 50 years old.  And there are four (progressive) stages to COPD, so he is probably in the earlier stages.

• Love 3

I'm intrigued by the notion of a gay men's alliance (or a gay/lesbian alliance, for that matter), but Jeff is right.  It would never work in this season, especially since you've got an idiot in Tai who can't read a room and who doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I didn't know is he was gay, either, until people brought it up during SC.

I'd kind of assumed that he was, but didn't know if he was actually out so I was surprised when they mentioned it in the episode. 

I'm intrigued by the notion of a gay men's alliance (or a gay/lesbian alliance, for that matter), but Jeff is right.  It would never work in this season, especially since you've got an idiot in Tai who can't read a room and who doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut.

Jeff and Zeke have potential as alliance mates, but Tai is definitely a disaster. At this point, I can't imagine anyone wanting to work with him. 

• Love 3

I don't think Jeff's a bad person for what he did.  I do think he has some regret and remorse over it.

But I don't think he's getting a fourth try after this.  This pretty much put an end to any chance of that.

• Love 5

Probst had to go to bat for him to get this chance.  I said in the ep thread, this incident aside, he probably wasn't coming back.  Three times, pre jury all three times (and pre merge twice).  No way.  I've longed for him to at least make the jury, as I thought he'd be fun to watch at Ponderosa, and an interesting juror.  The twists of tribe swaps and idols are part of the game, and meant o shake things up, but it's become kind of boring at this point, and this season so far tribe swaps and idols screwed the last 5 boots.

Of course I'm grumpy about that because it's effected 3 people I really wanted to stay in this game, and left people in the game I absolutely despise.  I would have rather seen OldMana self destruct than have them be at the mercy of OldNuku.  The show needs a shake up, not more advantages and idols.

As for Varner-if Zeke doesn't want to play cool with him I hope he doesn't, and if he does, I hope he doesn't have people trash him for doing so.  I believe he's genuinely remorseful.  It's no excuse for what he did, and can't take back.  As with anything this caliber, I truly hope something good comes from it.  I just hope TPTB didn't let this go forward for epic TV when they might have had a chance to talk him out of it.  What Jeff was thinking, hopefully he explains in his interviews tomorrow.  I think this was a serious lapse in judgement, as I don't believe Varner is a bigot.  Not to say I haven't meant my share of gay people who are anti trans, I just don't think honk Varner is one of them.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 8
20 minutes ago, Vyk said:

I don't think Jeff's a bad person for what he did.  I do think he has some regret and remorse over it.

But I don't think he's getting a fourth try after this.  This pretty much put an end to any chance of that.

Honestly, I was indifferent to Varner before this, but I do now think he is a bad person or at least not a good one. What he did was calculated and malicious, imo.  I realize that none of us knows for sure how we would react, but I'd like to think that there is no amount of money that would make me deliberately betray another human being the way he betrayed Zeke. I wonder if he would have had the same regret at tribal if he had gotten the reaction and result he had hoped for. Somehow, I doubt it. I do think that he now genuinely has some regret and remorse. I also agree he destroyed any chance of ever returning to play Survivor. 

• Love 8
6 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

As  despicable and cruel as he was, I can't help feeling a little bit sorry for him.  He's never going to be able to unsay what he said to Zeke.

He's going to be hated by millions of people and that's so many more than most of us have to face after we've said something wrong.

As the trainwreck unfolded and I/we watched Varner unsuccessfully try to backpedal his way out of that grievous lack of judgment, I kept hearing in the back of my head a line frequently quoted in Blue Bloods: "No matter good a life you might try to live, you may sometimes find yourself being forever judged by your last worst act."

• Love 15

It's not even about whether or not (and clearly the answer is not) he's likely to come back to play Survivor. It's about the fact that, by bringing in the game an information that was not his to share, was deeply personal, and was not game related, he's opened up himself and his life in the real world to serious repercussions that he'll have to live with. By acting here in such an unexpected way because (I assume) it goes against his apparent public persona, he's probably damaged more than he (and we) can realise. And all that for what? Staying for three more days, or even winning a freaking game show, should never be a big enough incentive to out someone (which is so heinous, I won't even go further) and in the process destroy your own reputation. It's good that Zeke found a way ro rise above the fray and had a say in what was aired. But really, the whole thing is just tragic. Never before had I believed that reality tv really brings out the worst from people, but now I'm seeing how it can. And when the cameras stop rolling, life continues to happen. For everyone involved.  

• Love 11

It's not just what Varner said, it's his supposed reasons for doing it.  He clearly stated that he thought everyone knew about Zeke, but presented it in a way where he tried to make Zeke seem duplicitous for not sharing it with everyone.  Which is it?  It can't be both.  

Varner had a momentary and very serious lapse in judgement.  He does not strike me as a malicious person.  And while I think his tears and regret were real, those things didn't present until everyone else on the tribe expressed their shock and outrage at what he did.  So if Zeke forgives him, that's a profound lesson in grace.  As a viewer, though, my opinion of Varner has permanently changed because it's clear to me that he did it to further himself in the game, and his regret came a few beats too late for me.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 13
On 4/7/2017 at 0:01 PM, ljenkins782 said:

I'd kind of assumed that he was, but didn't know if he was actually out so I was surprised when they mentioned it in the episode. 

Jeff and Zeke have potential as alliance mates, but Tai is definitely a disaster. At this point, I can't imagine anyone wanting to work with him. 

Quoting myself to note the irony of that particular statement. Got that one quite wrong! 

It's not even about whether or not (and clearly the answer is not) he's likely to come back to play Survivor. It's about the fact that, by bringing in the game an information that was not his to share, was deeply personal, and was not game related, he's opened up himself and his life in the real world to serious repercussions that he'll have to live with. By acting here in such an unexpected way because (I assume) it goes against his apparent public persona, he's probably damaged more than he (and we) can realise. And all that for what? Staying for three more days, or even winning a freaking game show, should never be a big enough incentive to out someone (which is so heinous, I won't even go further) and in the process destroy your own reputation. It's good that Zeke found a way ro rise above the fray and had a say in what was aired. But really, the whole thing is just tragic. Never before had I believed that reality tv really brings out the worst from people, but now I'm seeing how it can. And when the cameras stop rolling, life continues to happen. For everyone involved.  

That was one of the most nakedly desperate gameplays I've ever seen and it really didn't seem to hit him until the rest of the tribe reacted. Like, does he need the money THAT badly? I'm reminded of Keith in his Ponderosa video saying "I'm not going to miss the electric bill or the water bill just because I didn't win a million dollars" and I suspect Varner is in a similar position in life. He's not going to die of starvation if he doesn't get that million, but his behavior last night made it seem like he would. It was like watching a gambler in a manic frenzy to keep betting even after they're out of money. It was deeply uncomfortable to watch.

It's not just what Varner said, it's his supposed reasons for doing it.  He clearly stated that he thought everyone knew about Zeke, but presented it in a way where he tried to make Zeke seem duplicitous for not sharing it with everyone.  Which is it?  It can't be both.  

Varner had a momentary and very serious lapse in judgement.  He does not strike me as a malicious person.  And while I think his tears and regret were real, those things didn't present until everyone else on the tribe expressed their shock and outrage at what he did.  So if Zeke forgives him, that's a profound lesson in grace.  As a viewer, though, my opinion of Varner has permanently changed because it's clear to me that he did it to further himself in the game, and his regret came a few beats too late for me.

Yeah, I doubt we'll get any clarity on this in any interviews he's going to do now, months after the fact, but I don't see any clear reason for doing what he did. What reaction could he possibly have been expecting that would be good for him? 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Nashville said:

As the trainwreck unfolded and I/we watched Varner unsuccessfully try to backpedal his way out of that grievous lack of judgment, I kept hearing in the back of my head a line frequently quoted in Blue Bloods: "No matter good a life you might try to live, you may sometimes find yourself being forever judged by your last worst act."

My mom says something like this all the time. You're only seen as your last act, so make sure you always do good things, girl. 
@laurakaye - the same. I loved Varner. But I 100 percent see it the way you do. The tears, the regret only happened after he realised he was bad. He wanted this to be a "drop the mic" moment, but it was drop the anvil on his own head moment instead. And i think had he not been planning this and stopped with the backpeddling right away - It might have been different. Maybe. (very unlikely). 

• Love 8

Given that Varner was the local anchor of one of my hometown stations for years, this is even harder for me to make sense of.  I guess I saw him in a certain positive light and when he went against everything I thought I knew, well - I'm still kind of shell-shocked.

I keep thinking, too, how gut-wrenching it must've been for Varner to watch this season at home, after the fact, knowing what was coming.  So while I am disgusted at what he did, at the same time, I can't help but feel for him.  Most people make big mistakes in their lifetimes, but most of us don't do it on a national television show, so I do hope that what happened doesn't signal a downward spiral for Varner that he can never come out of.  

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 13

That was one of the most nakedly desperate gameplays I've ever seen and it really didn't seem to hit him until the rest of the tribe reacted. Like, does he need the money THAT badly? I'm reminded of Keith in his Ponderosa video saying "I'm not going to miss the electric bill or the water bill just because I didn't win a million dollars" and I suspect Varner is in a similar position in life. He's not going to die of starvation if he doesn't get that million, but his behavior last night made it seem like he would. It was like watching a gambler in a manic frenzy to keep betting even after they're out of money. It was deeply uncomfortable to watch.

Ljenkins, your comparison to a desperate gambler (the parts I bolded) somehow rings very true here. But can one become addicted to reality tv? We joke about famewhores and such but I'm asking the question seriously. Because indeed you'd think only someone who's taken leave from his senses would act that way. And really, this season is not one that is so tough that everyone goes more or less crazy.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Jeff's interview on Rob Has a Podcast has not helped his cause, at least in my eyes.

Can you share some of the highlights? I've read the interviews with Gordon Holmes and Dalton Ross, but I haven't listened to RHaP.

Essentially it is that there was more to how the question came out, it was not planned and then a lot of "I am awful", "I want Zeke to be safe", "All people like Zeke wants is to live their lives normally" There was a lot of contrition but it felt forced and more like woe is me then I fucked up big time.

• Love 3

I think people are being a bit hard on the Varner. He fucked up, no doubt, and I think he knows that. There's only so many times you can say it before it doesn't matter anymore; the people who are going to crucify you are going to crucify you. 

We all fuck up. Glad none of mine were on camera.

• Love 13

Varner's interviews could be a lot of PR influence of telling him what to say, or even reading the interviews before they go out and telling them what they can ask and post, if they come across scripted.  I don't think he's a horrible person, just made a really horrible decision.  

I'll have to listen to his RHAP.

Here's an interview he gave with People.  This part here is what he says he meant by being deceptive, and that it wasn't aimed at Zeke being trans:

http://people.com/tv/jeff-varner-in-therapy-after-outing-zeke-smith-transgender-survivor/

“It’s unfortunate that you can’t see the entire tribal. I wish they put that as a secret scene or something,” Varner said. “When I was talking about the deception of the secret alliance and trying to sway everybody else, there was a moment where Zeke looked at me — this was edited out of the show — and he said ‘There is no deception, I’m not deceiving anybody.’ And when he said that, my question just came out of my mouth to him.

I always wish they'd show extended footage of TC somewhere, but never have I wished that more than last night.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2

To me, Varner was deeply sorry, deeply sorry that his plan to throw shade on Zeke turned against him in the most heartfelt way. He reminded me of a monkey flinging poo at a wall, just trying to see what would stick. When he kept alluding to knowing a secret about Zeke, I thought maybe Varner had knowledge that Zeke was related to someone in "Survivor" lore, past or present, or maybe even someone on the production crew, never did I think that he would do that. As soon as he outed him, it was immediately obvious that the tribe didn't care that Zeke didn't tell them that he was transgender, they cared that Varner outed Zeke in the cruelest possible way. This may have been mentioned, but did Zeke tell Varner that he was transgender? I truly had no clue.

The most astounding part to me, that Varner, a middle-aged gay man from the South, thought it was totally cool to out another human being, on television, for a chance at money. I'm sure Varner didn't have an easy road when he came out, I just can't imagine that he thought this would end well for him. I'm not even of the LGBT community, my dear friend is, & watching the struggle he went through coming out, I would never, ever put it in my mind to do that to someone else, certainly not on national television, and certainly not for a chance at money. 

Varner = dead.to.me.

• Love 7
35 minutes ago, 303420 said:

I think people are being a bit hard on the Varner. He fucked up, no doubt, and I think he knows that. There's only so many times you can say it before it doesn't matter anymore; the people who are going to crucify you are going to crucify you. 

We all fuck up. Glad none of mine were on camera.

yeah. exactly. 

I still wish (i'm not reading articles or anything) - has anyone asked him what he was thinking with it? because Jeff deployed this as a weapon. but why would anyone care? I wouldn't be like "OH MY GOD! Zeke lied about his gender! I'm going to blindside him now." it makes no sense to me in any way, shape or form. 

• Love 4

“It’s unfortunate that you can’t see the entire tribal. I wish they put that as a secret scene or something,” Varner said. “When I was talking about the deception of the secret alliance and trying to sway everybody else, there was a moment where Zeke looked at me — this was edited out of the show — and he said ‘There is no deception, I’m not deceiving anybody.’ And when he said that, my question just came out of my mouth to him.

It that's Varner's side of it, I actually don't see how that makes it better. He's actively equating Zeke lying in the game about an alliance with Zeke not sharing the fact that he's trans as though omitting that is deceitful in any way rather than private. If this is where Varner is about the topic now, I don't think he's learned anything. Editing out Zeke's question does nothing in my mind. Had it been there, Varner would have still been so far over the line he'd have needed binoculars to spot it. Plus the idea that the question just popped out doesn't really jive with his statements leading up to Tribal.

• Love 12
10 minutes ago, vibeology said:

It that's Varner's side of it, I actually don't see how that makes it better. He's actively equating Zeke lying in the game about an alliance with Zeke not sharing the fact that he's trans as though omitting that is deceitful in any way rather than private. If this is where Varner is about the topic now, I don't think he's learned anything. Editing out Zeke's question does nothing in my mind. Had it been there, Varner would have still been so far over the line he'd have needed binoculars to spot it. Plus the idea that the question just popped out doesn't really jive with his statements leading up to Tribal.

Yeah Jeff clearly still doesn't get it. I'm pretty sure when Zeke said he wasn't deceiving anyone, he was probably referring to said secret alliance with Ozzy and not planning to stick with Andrea and Sarah. Now it's quite possible he was lying about those things but that's the game. I don't believe for a second, Zeke expected Varner's comeback to be about his gender identity that has fuck all to do with the game they were playing. 

• Love 9

Really stupid question, but does Zeke even have an alliance with Ozzy?  How did that thought even get into Varner's head in the first place?  Did he think that Zeke was being deceptive about Ozzy and then made the leap from that to outing Zeke?  I mean, what Varner did is awful, but the train of thought he used to get there in the first place was also rather bizarre.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Really stupid question, but does Zeke even have an alliance with Ozzy?  How did that thought even get into Varner's head in the first place?  Did he think that Zeke was being deceptive about Ozzy and then made the leap from that to outing Zeke?  I mean, what Varner did is awful, but the train of thought he used to get there in the first place was also rather bizarre.

Not so much an alliance, but Zeke did say that he wants Ozzy to stay around to keep the pressure off Zeke. so Varner was picking up on that reluctance to boot him out. 

I don't think it's even been mentioned that Varner tried to defend himself with, "It's a game for a million dollars!"  When all the dust has settled I'm going to always remember that Jeff Varner is a man whose morals and ethics change depending on the amount of cash involved.  The more he talks the deeper he goes and it's still going on.

Zeke has said in an interview today that he thinks Varner was saying all trans people are "dangerous" and dishonest.  I disagree with that, because it is broader and more farsighted than Varner's intention which was simply to turn people against Zeke and not get voted out.  Varner seemed to think that what he blurted out would make the others think that, by not telling them he was tran was withholding his authentic self so possibly not being open with them about alliances, etc.  That isn't saying transgendered people are dangerous, it's saying people who don't tell you everything about themselves at first meeting are inauthentic.  Two different things, both wrong.

I'll never believe Varner hates tran people. Varner was just  being stupid and illogical and way, way out of line. No one owes anyone else their medical history and Sierra isn't being "deceitful" by not telling everyone her eyebrows are tattooed and might at any moment metamorphous into caterpillers. We can speculate but it's not our right to know or her duty to tell us.

Edited by JudyObscure
  • Love 18
4 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Really stupid question, but does Zeke even have an alliance with Ozzy?  How did that thought even get into Varner's head in the first place?

He was the only one on the tribe who was protecting Ozzy.  Sarah, Debbie, and Tai seemed open to at least the possibility of getting rid of him before the merge, and Andrea, while conflicted, definitely appeared to be giving it some thought (and even more so after Jeff revealed what Zeke had been saying about her and Sarah behind their backs).  Only Zeke was trying to keep him around for a shield, not realizing that shields only work for so long.

4 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Zeke has said in an interview today that he thinks Varner was saying all trans people are "dangerous" and dishonest.  I disagree with that, because it is broader and more farsighted than Varner's intention which was simply to turn people against Zeke and not get voted out.  Varner seemed to think that what he blurted out would make the others think that, by not telling them he was tran was withholding his authentic self so possibly not being open with them about alliances, etc.  That isn't saying transgendered people are dangerous, it's saying people who don't tell you everything about themselves at first meeting are inauthentic.  Two different things, both wrong.

This is actually why I don't think Varner is a bad person.  He did a bad thing, but isn't a bad person.  He was trying to do something within the confines of the game, not realizing until it was too late just how far outside of it he was going.  He was trying to throw shade at Zeke's honesty within the tribe.  He was trying to damage his game, not his character, but the opposite happened.

He definitely went about it in the wrong way, though, and definitely deserves to be taken to task for the approach he tried.

Edited by Vyk
  • Love 10

Yea, I didn't get that Varner was trying to say that trans people are deceptive. But he just went about everything terribly, not to mention the fact that even going there was completely wrong. I don't think he's transphobic though. And I think his apologies have been better than many I've received/heard, but they also contain quite a bit of self-serving quotes in them, too.

I have never liked Varner. I thought he was heinous in Second Chances and I think what he did here was terrible, but I can't help but feel sympathy for him because I don't believe he is a monster. I don't blame Zeke though if he never forgives him. I'm not sure I would if I were him.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, nkotb said:

The most astounding part to me, that Varner, a middle-aged gay man from the South, thought it was totally cool to out another human being, on television, for a chance at money. I'm sure Varner didn't have an easy road when he came out, I just can't imagine that he thought this would end well for him.

This was my thought as well. I certainly don't believe that everyone from the South conforms to the unfortunate stereotype of the bigoted redneck who poses a threat to anyone who isn't straight, white, and cisgendered, but I also don't believe that Varner never worried (possibly with very good reason) about what such people would do if someone ever outed him.

I believe that someone can do something irredeemably awful without being an irredeemably awful person. I fully buy the explanation that Varner got caught up in a moment, had a momentary, but major lapse of judgment, and did something incredibly cruel which he pretty quickly regretted and continues to regret. However, that does not excuse him and he is now going to have to live with the fact that because he outed someone, various people are going to give him a wide berth from here on out. That said, I don't think he's pure evil and while this is one of the most horrendous things I've seen someone do to someone else on Survivor, I wouldn't rank Jeff Varner among the most awful, sociopathic people to play the game.

The apology on his Twitter is nice. I wish that he'd leave that up and otherwise go off the grid—no other social media, no interviews. Just let the apology sit there for a while. He's burned up so much of his good will and benefit of the doubt that I think making further statements can only make things worse for him; if he tries to explain why he outed Zeke, it comes across as a self-serving justification. If he apologizes again (and again and again) and publicly self-flagellates, it starts to come across as insincere. If anything comes out even slightly wrong, it compounds his initial lapse. I think he should sit out all public appearances indefinitely.

• Love 14
31 minutes ago, Hera said:

This was my thought as well. I certainly don't believe that everyone from the South conforms to the unfortunate stereotype of the bigoted redneck who poses a threat to anyone who isn't straight, white, and cisgendered, but I also don't believe that Varner never worried (possibly with very good reason) about what such people would do if someone ever outed him.

I was actually just coming to clarify, because I didn't mean anything against southerners with my previous comment. I just feel like with Varner being older, thus out for decades, he probably dealt with that during a time where the LGBT community wasn't as accepted as it is today (there's a ways to go, I know). 

I do agree, let the statement stand for itself & take a break from social media for a while. 

• Love 3

Talk about not being able to read a room. He really effed that up. It was so uncomfortable to watch that sink in. He deserves a certain amount of backlash, but he has to move forward. I can't hope for someone's total descent into desolation. I do think his regret is real, not only for the humiliation he's heaped upon himself, but also for the pain he caused.  I'm sure he holds out hope for some kind of redemption.  I certainly hope he doesn't think he's going to find it in the Survivor universe. I hope the man truly comes to terms with the mistake and that he doesn't have to live in that moment forever. 

Edited by Rowan
  • Love 6

It was a terrible miscalculation, and just horrible to watch - I couldn't believe he was doing it. Until then I thought he had a chance of making it through that tribal, and I guess he did too and felt the need to make a desperate scramble, without thinking of the real-world ramifications, or Zeke's humanity, in the process. Maybe in his mind he justified they'll edit it out. But I am bummed Varner went out at this point in the game. Like Zeke, I wanted him to make the jury, at least, for once. Triple bummed he is now an evil monster in most people's minds.

Sad to see Malcolm leave in tears of frustration and disbelief and sorrow - sadder to see Varner weeping in horror and dismay. I hope he comes out of this okay within himself, and has lots of support, and stays offline.

• Love 7

Sorry, but when I follow his line of thinking and dig beneath the surface, it does look (to me) that there is in fact some prejudice there. If you're making the jump from 'trans' to 'liar', and accusing a trans person of deception, that's not an innocent thought process. Betrayal, lying, deception - these are ugly words, and Jeff chose to associate them with Zeke's status as a trans man. If it's seemingly no big deal to him that Zeke is trans, why did HE make it into a big deal? Or, does Varner think so lowly of his tribe mates that he assumed this would be their thought process (Zeke is trans > therefore he lied>he cannot be trusted)? Even that logic is problematic, and guess what? It stemmed from his brain.

I'd have more respect for him if he stopped hiding behind his "I have trans friends, I'm an activist" stance, and admitted to having personal biases against Zeke, or against trans people in general.

Saying something shitty doesn't make you a bad person. Everyone says stupid shit they wish they could take back. What makes Varner a bad person in my eyes, is that if he was truly contrite and apologetic, he'd stop defending himself. There's no need to remind people that you're an LGBT ally, that you were in a game, that you feel awful, blah blah. Own up to your bullshit and admit that there may be some confused feelings there. Being prejudiced or biased doesn't make someone an asshole - you can't help those feelings. But choosing to do nothing about it, and denying your prejudices - that's what makes you an asshole.

Edited by Sugar
  • Love 9