Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E16: Fallen Angels

The doctors work with the Center for Disease Control and Prevention to find an antidote to the deadly viral outbreak at Angels Memorial. Also, Leanne makes a life-changing decision, and Jesse welcomes a new batch of residents.

Oh dear, there's a new batch of residents? Those poor souls. I hope they have living wills and all their affairs in order because the mortality rate at this hospital is quite high. 

I found Patrick Fischler hilariously misplaced as the CDC guy. His big wide eyes are just about the least reassuring thing you could imagine seeing in an outbreak situation. He looks like he's either constantly terrified or just on the verge of going on a shooting spree after finding out that someone drank from his coffee mug. 

• Love 14

Okay...who called that Ariel goes to live with Leanne? You were right!

Also, I don't know that I've ever seen the CDC being the quite the mustache-twirling villain. At least they didn't kill Sugarbear. And while Angus is a dear, I really don't see him as being so admiring of Campbell. He was just being nice.

Civetti/Noa, bleah. I guess they feel like they need a couple among the young folk. 

• Love 1

It was a good action packed conclusion to last week.

The CDC taking possible infected doctors on a field trip was silly.

The "I"m just a girl standing in front of a boy.." quote made me laugh.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, TVForever said:

I felt bad for the young woman that got shot, but I guess they were serious when they said you can't break quarantine. Yikes!

I think the shooting orders are if someone is trying to break OUT of quarantine, not really INTO quarantine.  Breaking out means they could infect other people, but breaking in means they're only hurting themselves.   The guard looked very young and freaked out.  We shouldn't be giving weapons to kids just out of their teens!

• Love 9

This episode was so stupid I think I'm done with this show.

Three infected doctors wearing luminescent space suits manage to escape the hospital to wander around the city looking for the infection Ground-Zero, but they shoot the woman in the back with a rifle, because they couldn't afford Tasers when called to a crowd-control situation.

If they do any more to rehabilitate Wanghead Campbell they will have to change his name and give him a stick-on moustache to hide behind.  He even found the magic cure!

Someone should tell Dr. Leighton that when you are wearing special clothing to protect you from deadly infectious material, it's probably not a good idea to rub that deadly infectious material off the external surfaces of your gloves and and into your own eyes.  

Dr. "Sharon" Rorish now has her own tedious little "Wusty" to warm the cockles of her one-dimensional heart.

OMFG.  "Be the miracle!"  (Shouldn't everybody be down on one knee?)

And WTF with Ariel?!??  She looks like she should be in a Dan Aykroyd movie called DomeHeads.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, kwnyc said:

Okay...who called that Ariel goes to live with Leanne? You were right!

That was me. (sorry, I probably should have put my prediction in spoilers) Is it bad that I wish the episode had ended at the hospital and that we never saw Ariel again?

10 hours ago, kwnyc said:

Also, I don't know that I've ever seen the CDC being the quite the mustache-twirling villain. At least they didn't kill Sugarbear. And while Angus is a dear, I really don't see him as being so admiring of Campbell. He was just being nice.

I'm with you the CDC really was quite the mustache-twirling villain. I wonder who on the writing staff hate CDC.

• They had a virus stolen and didn't tell anyone.
  • They knew exactly what kind of virus they were dealing with, but didn't tell the hospital.
  • They wouldn't allow the heart into the hospital.
  • They had a vaccination, but didn't tell anyone.
  • When the hospital found out about said vaccination CDC wasn't going to let the hospital use it.

42 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

This episode was so stupid I think I'm done with this show.

OMFG.  "Be the miracle!"  (Shouldn't everybody be down on one knee?)

I really didn't like the episode either. It seemed to drag for me or maybe I just didn't care about all the "emotional" scenes. The whole "Be the miracle" was sooooo stupid.

Edited by Fireball
  • Love 2

That quarantine tent area had so much going on, that I half expected ET to be laying on a cart saying "Elliott....ET phone home!"

Love how several staff, after finding the cure, wiped the sweat off their face with their bare hands, that had been handling slides containing human blood.  

• Love 1

Well that felt like a series finale.

• Leanne’s story goes from living in a “grave yard” in season 1 to embracing life and getting a kid!
  • Campbell story goes from arrogant surgeon in season 1 to showing he actually has a heart!
  • Angus story goes from Dr. with confidence issues to a Dr. who gives the head surgeon pep talks!
  • And Mario gets the girl!

It works as a series finale, but I didn’t really like it.

First:

I don’t think Leanna story needed Ariel. I would have been happy if Leanne just realized she needed to start living again. Part of it is I don’t exactly care about Ariel; the other thing is, I’m no expert, but I can’t see Child’s Services allowing Leanne, a single women who works insane hours, to foster/adopt Ariel. At the end of the episode we see that Leanne’s been working all night while Ariel is home alone (I assume), Ariel is supposedly 13 (ya I’m side eyeing that), I don’t see Child Services being ok with that arrangement.  Yes, I know I’m over thinking the whole thing and I’m just supposed to feel warm and fuzzy that Ariel is living with Leanne.

I also thought it was weird to end the series at Leanne’s house; we haven’t had any personal scenes outside the hospital this season and it felt so out of place to me. I would have preferred the episode to have ended at the hospital.

Campbell I really didn’t need the show to try and redeem him as much as they did; I don’t need every character to be an angel.

Angus's story arch worked for me; although, him giving Campbell a pep talk felt odd.

Mario and Noa I still don’t care.

The rest of the episode didn't work for me either, but I've rambled enough.

Edited by Fireball
spelling

I seriously thought at the time that Leanne's last scene in the gingerbread house with all the flowers and the Arms of An Angel soundtrack were implying that she actually died, as did Ariel, and they were both in some "Good Place" (to steal a show).

Once again, Angels Memorial desperately needs some funding to redo their entire Emergency Department.  Plastic Strips hanging down to block off an infectious area?  How about some actual doors that lock?  By the way, I hope the HVAC wasn't turned on.  Nothing like spreading germs throughout the hospital.  And the pointless yellow suits, which did absolutely nothing to protect the wearers.  And then, send two of your doctors out on a scavenger hunt.  Sorry, the tension of the episode was just so reduced for me by the myriad mistakes in infection control that were shown. 

There is a difference between vaccine and antidote, right?  The two terms were used interchangeably, but I'm pretty sure a vaccine is a preventative, and will not cure a disease once infection has set in.

Dr. Campbell could have explained to the daughter of the heart transplant failure that an aortic rupture would be fatal anyway, and a new heart would not be of use when the main vessel is already broken.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Dowel Jones said:

Dr. Campbell could have explained to the daughter of the heart transplant failure that an aortic rupture would be fatal anyway, and a new heart would not be of use when the main vessel is already broken.

I agree.  I expected for him to say that the father had died on the way to the operating room, and then the point that if the heart had been there it was too late.

I thought that she would be the one with the natural immunity plus needing the heart that had been "sent back".

I also thought someone would give an update on the woman and her fiancee.  Writers, really?  Could you not spare one line, something like, "they are both recovering and they have each other".  

There is a difference between vaccine and antidote, right?  The two terms were used interchangeably, but I'm pretty sure a vaccine is a preventative, and will not cure a disease once infection has set in.

Right.  There is a heart breaking scene in the Call the Midwife Christmas special where the doctor explains the difference to a boy who carried his brother, who has polio, to the clinic in order to get the vaccine so that his brother can walk again.

Loosely defined:

vaccine is a biological preparation that improves immunity to a particular disease. 

An antidote is a medicine or other remedy for counteracting the effects of poison, disease, etc

Edited by elle
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, elle said:

I also thought someone would give an update on the woman and her fiancee.  Writers, really?  Could you not spare one line, something like, "they are both recovering and they have each other".  

They were shown cuddling on a hospital bed.

5 minutes ago, starri said:

They were shown cuddling on a hospital bed.

Thanks!

Where?  When?  In the final montage?  I missed that completely.  Still, it would not have cost them that much time for one small line of explanation.

Edited by elle

There was one silly thing that kept pulling me out of the episode.  The pointless yellow suits were topped off by the same exact blue face shield that I bought at Home Depot to protect my face while I make cold process soap.  Not quite medical grade.  Was the virus not airborne?  If not, why were the blue suited doctors completely sealed in their helmets?

Edited by Pfj99
Correct typo
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Driad said:

Was that a new gaggle of interns at the end? How did it get to be July 1?

There was a time skip, everyone was back on duty. I guess we were half expecting a Star Trek cure

• Love 1

They also used a time skip when Dr. Greene died on ER...people going about their business in the ER as his letter to them yellowed on the bulletin board.

I wonder if the newbies know just how high the death rate is for residents at Angels?

If there is a next season.  It seems to be 50/50 for a renewal at this point.

The more I think about it, the more pissed I get at the way the stories were handled.  Aside from her supporting role in Guthrie's Parkinsons, did Malaya actually do anything this season?  And hell, she was gone for about a quarter of it because of her suspension?  I'm mad about that and I don't even particularly like her.

• Love 3

While the suits seemed to have pull some people out of the story, the thing that pulled me out was the theft of the CDC van.

1. How long ago was it stolen?
  2. How did they steal it?
  3. Did they pretend to be CDC workers and just drive off with it?
  4. Did they run the van off the road with a Hummer?
  5. If they pretended to be CDC personal, how did they get badges?
  6. If they ran the van off the road, what happened to the drivers?
  7. Did the drivers die in the crash or did the hijackers kill them?
  8. Where are the drivers bodies?
  9. What exactly were the hijackers going to do with the virus? Obviously nothing good.
Edited by Fireball
  • Love 1
On 2/9/2017 at 5:15 PM, Dowel Jones said:

Once again, Angels Memorial desperately needs some funding to redo their entire Emergency Department.

The funny thing is this is based on the documentary Code Black which ended in them dismantling this dysfunctional system  and putting in a modern ER.

I mean sure it makes for better TV but it just seem odd to base a current TV series around a documentary about an ER that ended in it being dismantled in 2012  because it wasn't up to modern standards. 

Why is it over so soon?  It's only February!  I may be in the minority here, but I still love the show.  I don't expect too much reality in my hospital dramas.  My turn off point is too much personal stuff.  I like the patient/medicine stories, even if the facts are totally made up for the showverse.  If they come back and start showing a lot of home life for Rorish & Ariel, I'll be P.O.'d.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, MelinaBallerina said:

Why is it over so soon?  It's only February!  I may be in the minority here, but I still love the show.  I don't expect too much reality in my hospital dramas.  My turn off point is too much personal stuff.  I like the patient/medicine stories, even if the facts are totally made up for the showverse.  If they come back and start showing a lot of home life for Rorish & Ariel, I'll be P.O.'d.  

I still like the show, and I hope we get a season 3.  I just didn't like this episode; I don't think I would have minded the episode as much if it hadn't been the last one of the season.

I'm right there with you; I have no desire to watch Leanne & Ariel. I thought there was way too much of Ariel in the episode; it felt like Ariel was a temporary cast member. Now I get that the writers were going for "see how much Leanne cares about Ariel", but I just didn't care. I really wanted the writers to go the unpredictable route with Leanne & Ariel.

• Love 1

I also thought it was weird to end the series at Leanne’s house; we haven’t had any personal scenes outside the hospital this season and it felt so out of place to me. I would have preferred the episode to have ended at the hospital.

I'm pretty sure this was written as the possible last show of the series, and the writers wanted fans to see the anchor of the show, who's been hurting for 2 seasons, heal.

@MelinaBallerina, I'm with you all the way. I don't want to go home with Rorish if this show gets renewed. I've a feeling that won't happen, though...if it gets renewed.

It seems that when shows are limping in the ratings, they get short seasons, I guess 'cause no one wants to pay too much for a possible lost cause. Parenthood went through that big time. 

Yay! Elliott survived! And Malaya (his Mom)! And Angus got to work with the Big Kids, though I'm sad to hear that Guthrie isn't who he wants to be like. You are Guthrie, Young Squire.

Loved this last episode. It's about the characters, not the medicine.

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 6:58 PM, mojito said:

I'm pretty sure this was written as the possible last show of the series, and the writers wanted fans to see the anchor of the show, who's been hurting for 2 seasons, heal.

I'm sure you're right; I just didn't really like it.

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 6:58 PM, mojito said:

And Angus got to work with the Big Kids, though I'm sad to hear that Guthrie isn't who he wants to be like. You are Guthrie, Young Squire.

Actually, after seeing Guthrie turn to "Be The Miracle" as a way to heal someone, I can maybe understand why Angus doesn't want to be like him.  Also the whole "Be the Miracle" made me wonder did Guthrie's surgery have an adverse affect on his brain?

Ok just finished binge-watching this season. I really hope it's picked up again, I do enjoy it even tho we have to suspend reality now and again to get thru it. No secret that I'm a fan of Rob Lowe and his character Ethan. I went into hysterics when Ethan quoted Hugh Grant in Notting Hill "I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her." Loved that bit of randomness. 

Some things I wasn't wild about: Ariel. First, she looks way older than 13 I couldn't believe she was supposed to be that young. Second, Leeann can get out of her graveyard without taking on a child, it just doesn't work for me. And I don't really want Ariel to be a part of the show, it would be dragged down by that storyline. 

How did Sugarbear start to grow on me? I didn't see that coming...

• Love 4

Finally caught up with this season.  Thought the final episode was a too over the top, but I really like the series so I will forgive them.  I usually try not to overthink this show (or even just regular think it) but I couldn't ignore all the illogical stuff this time.  My issues have been said here, except this one - that they doctors who were "infected" didn't were any protection under the tent.  I thought they were considered at risk because they tested positive for something - like an infection - but not specifically that virus, since they didn't know what the virus was.  In theory, they may have been sick with something else and now they were in with all the going-to-bleed-to-death people.  

My other peeve on this show is the way Angus always seems to look out of the side of his eyes.  He never seems to look straight on.  I have never known anyone that did that in real life.  IMO, it gives him either a stuck up sort of look or makes him look shifty, like he's up to something.  I don't remember noticing that last year.  He used to be one of my favorite characters, but he's been replaced by Sugarbear.  I am also liking the addition of Ethan - so much so that I don't miss the first season characters who are gone now.  

I don't remember seeing any new residents.  

17 hours ago, hookedontv said:

Some things I wasn't wild about: Ariel. First, she looks way older than 13 I couldn't believe she was supposed to be that young. Second, Leeann can get out of her graveyard without taking on a child, it just doesn't work for me. And I don't really want Ariel to be a part of the show, it would be dragged down by that storyline. 

This so much! Leanne so didn't need to have a "new" family to get out of her graveyard funk. I understand the writers thought they wouldn't get another season, but I still do not think they needed to end the series with Leanne going home to Ariel.   I was also side eyeing the whole Ariel's 13.

• Love 1