Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Operation Cupid's Revenge

MarkHB

The Hunters set up a fake online dating profile in an attempt to lure two fugitives out of hiding, and a pair of video game enthusiasts discover that their online skills may not translate to the real world.

OMG I am so annoyed at the hunter's tactics with Miles and Will.  They honed in exactly to where they would be just like that ::snaps fingers::

As far as the new girls, they just left us hanging when the hunters went to their friend's house.  I wasn't sure if they are staying there or not.  I lost track.  Shocking how they thought to look for a store that sold burner phones. 

No David and Emiley today.

I'm still worried about Wolf and his friend but they may have escaped since they realized not to use the phones.

I like that the middle eastern guys are getting away.  That woman handled it pretty well.

I wish it was 2 hours every week

Edited by NYGirl
  • Love 2

I don't root for the hunters, but I was so happy they caught the frat boys.  Those guys were so arrogant, and it irritated me how they preyed on homely girls.  Plus, they are total grifters.  They actually bragged about spending no money.  Which means they never contributed a penny for gas, food, etc.  I wonder how successful they would have been if not travelling with a camera crew.  They were very Ted Bundy-ish, IMO.  I did question how that one guy just absolutely knew that grifting strangers would be their tactic.  That seemed a little fishy.

I'm feeling sorry for the family members, and the absolute glee the hunters take in toying with and threatening them.  The young girl totally blew it for her mother a couple of episodes ago, and now a wife made a mistake.   They must be obligated to take phone calls from these people.  Why else put yourself through the mind games?

I'm rooting for the two pairs of guy friends.  I also liked the Vietnamese ladies this ep, but skunk hair should have done something about that very distinctive coloring job.  And too funny that the floppy hat "disguise" is what made them easily identifiable on security footage.  Too bad they didn't buy burner phones in advance - that seemed to be their biggest mistake.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Too bad they didn't buy burner phones in advance - that seemed to be their biggest mistake.

There must be language in the contract they sign when auditioning that prohibits packing ahead of time, buying extra phones and loading your pockets with plenty of cash before the "hunt" begins.

Apparently they are limited to using ONLY the $500 cash they can withdraw from ATM's $100 at a time, and I'd bet that some of the show producers actually examine their backpacks and clothing before they begin to run to be sure there is no extra cash or phones or other contraband.  I know that it is not uncommon for shows to be very active behind the scenes.  Survivor, for one, even makes the decisions about what clothing each tribemate will wear. 

• Love 4

This is why *I* hate Mary Scott, too. 

I actually thought the college guys had a good idea; that was my original idea, to hide in plain sight with a group of people. And they didn't get money from an ATM, which is also a good idea. I didn't see them as preying on young women. When I was in college, I definitely would have helped them out.

But as usual, the Hunters had an unexplained advantage. They got into the college guys' Instagram account because it was linked to their Facebook, but how did they get into THAT? 

I'm not sure I'll stick with this show. I can't root for the Hunters, who the show obviously wants me to root for. It's too rigged. At least this time, the hunters did two things I've been missing: (1) praised a team for doing the right thing (the Tran women, for backing out of the gas station so their rear license plate couldn't be seen) and (2) gave a tiny bit of advice (the guy who said fugitives have to go back to the Stone Age). It's not enough, though. Maybe if they do another season, the hunters won't be such jackoffs and the rules will be made clear. Like, can the fugitives promise money to people who help them? At the very least, as we've said, the fugitives might give the ATM card to someone who helps them. Unless they think they might need money later.

The Tran women made a mistake going to that Walgreens so close to the ATM. 

Was (this is why I hate) Mary Scott the third woman during the discussion of whether they should turn the guys in? If I'd seen that wanted poster on social media, I'd show it to the guys and promise to call in and misdirect the hunters ("they said they were heading for Fort Lauderdale") for a small share of the prize money. 

This show isn't fun to watch for me, and I have too many things waiting for me on my Tivo to spend time fuming. I"ll keep Tivoing it but I'm not sure I'll watch. I'll probably just end up deleting episodes. 

Edited by Mystery
spelling error
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, UncleChuck said:

There must be language in the contract they sign when auditioning that prohibits packing ahead of time, buying extra phones and loading your pockets with plenty of cash before the "hunt" begins.

That's what I think, I can't imagine any other reason why they wouldn't have their bags packed & ready to go.

3 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

I did question how that one guy just absolutely knew that grifting strangers would be their tactic.  That seemed a little fishy.

That seemed a lot fishy to me, he just thought that up with no hints? I don't think so, I think the hunters are getting help we aren't hearing about, could they be tracking the film crews with the runners?

Again with the wanted poster, it just seems to me that the hunters have access to too many things to help them & that if this was real life, they wouldn't be able to do them without a judge's permission.

I'm sorry, but if 2 strangers came up to me (with or without a film crew) & asked if they could sleep at my house or if I would drive them somewhere, my response would be a big, fat NO. These women are all going to be victims someday.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Mystery said:

This is why *I* hate Mary Scott, too. 

But as usual, the Hunters had an unexplained advantage. They got into the college guys' Instagram account because it was linked to their Facebook, but how did they get into THAT? 

I wonder how Mary Scott liked hearing that on tv.  But I hate her too. I would've been on the boys side just for fun, even if I thought (as a viewer) they were kind of douchey.

In the 2nd episode, the hunters went to David's facebook and got around not having the password by asking for the password to be reset and correctly guessing his security question answers.  It was something about his favorite sports team, which they knew by looking at his public Instagram.

• Love 3

I'm still really enjoying it. In fact, I'd probably go as far as saying it's been my favorite new show of the season. I have no idea how well it's doing and it seems like with all the personnel it's probably expensive as hell, but I hope it continues.

I particularly like the fact there's been a lot of variety in the tactics to avoid the hunters. And outside the basketball player/model couple, nobody's been too stupid about it. 

I am somewhat suspicious about quickly they were able to catch the Frat Bros at the end there. "Get to the harbor now! Get a drone out there now! Somehow have access to a boat that you can chase them down now!," that seemed like they were tipped off. Especially since a few more minutes and the Frat Bros would have been able to slip out of town and maybe sail around the coast for a few more weeks.

It could ruin my enjoyment of the show if every team gets taken down similar to that, especially since there's a cash prize that the producers might not want to pay out to multiple teams. But they're following four teams now with a fifth likely to come next week, so hopefully they're doing that because multiple teams do end up winning. 

The southern family that helped the Frat Bros was hilarious. I mean in two scenes you were able to perfectly understand their dynamic. Screw Mary Scott, that snitchy snitch. 

Edited by loki567
  • Love 4

I wondered how the hunters found out that that the frat boys went on a boat.  I probably wasn't paying attention at the time.

I agree with the previous poster that it has to be shananigans that they had the drone and boat at the ready.  I thought they had a great idea to stay with various people they didn't know and not use any money.  I hate how the hunters used the missing poster to get them.

The girl with the floppy hat needs to lose the hat as soon as possible.

I'm still enjoying this even though it makes me angry to watch.  I guess you could say I'm angry watching lol

• Love 6

I was so happy to see the frat brothers get caught; what a couple of cocky losers.  Are random women at the beach THAT easy to convince you to take you home with them?  Why didn't that ever work for me?!?! haha  I definitely HOPE that most (all) of these women would have had better sense if the cameras weren't there at the time.

I'm still pulling for the Law each episode.  I like to see the "bad guys" get caught (Remember, these contestants are pretending to be fugitives, so I guess they're pretending that they've done something wrong.  Unless they're all like Dr. Richard Kimble in "The Fugitive" or Dr. Banner on "The Incredible Hulk".  I pretend like all the contestants are an international cartel of illegal gummi bear smugglers.)  

Exception to my support of the Law:  that nerd with the bow ties and pageboy hats.  This week, he got even MORE annoying by exclaiming "Roger that!" every time somebody at Central Command asked him to do something.  Maybe we can send him out "on the run" after the show is over and give him a good thrashing when he gets caught.

My favorites are still the Escape Room guys.  Their plans are so elaborate and fun!  I want them to win because it seems like they've spent their whole lives planning for a day when a TV show like this would someday be created, and they'd be asked to participate in it.  Anything less than success for them will overshadow the rest of their lives, I'm afraid.

• Love 4

I'm wondering if the snitchy snitch will actually get the re-ward money and how much it would be.  I was glad to see DoucheFrats get caught, but it all seemed so random.  If not for snitchy, they may have made it even further, but once the Newsboys zeroed in on the college crowd, it was really a matter of time.

Here's some unsolicited advice for the fugitives...

When you go to the ATM, NEVER wear the disguise (wig/hat/sunglasses) that you are using to avoid detection.  The hunters will know it is you as soon as you use the card and there you are--standing in front of the ATM camera so they can see what you look like in your disguise.  Here's my idea--when you use the ATM, let the camera see you with NO disguise at all.  After all, the hunters already know what you look like--then when safely away from the camera, put your wig/hat/glasses back on.

+++

I wonder why none of these close friends/relatives could not just give our runners 4 or 5 hundred bucks in return for the ATM card and password?  Then while the runners have plenty of cash to hide, the accomplices could use ATM withdrawals to lead the hunters in a wild goose chase?  Must be more rules that we are not told about...

• Love 3

Why are the hunters total dicks again for no reason? I didn't like that one investigator taunting Wolf's wife with "Is your heart beating faster" crap. I would have replied something like "Oh yes, my heart is beating faster because I'm so excited to be talking to the big bad Mr. Investigator".

If Wolf's wife only uses her burner phone to contact her husband and he uses his to only contact her, I don't see how the hunters could be able to track that. But just watch, they would "miraculously" find some way to get that info.

I did like how Meadow's friend literally laughed in their faces when they were questioning her. I think the thing to do in that scenario is to mix up truths and lies when answering them so they would not know how to differentiate which is which. If the boys have left, you can even toy with them by giving shady answers that suggests you are still covering for them there. Play those mind games right back! They can't actually do anything to you.

The frat boys had a good strategy and it seemed to be working for them so far. But the thing about relying on strangers is that you can't trust them like you can with family and friends. That's a risk they took. The editing of the show needs to be improved. It was so obvious they were the ones getting caught this episode when they were just being introduced 3 episodes in and then in a span of one episode, they were already 15 days in (more than half the goal). It is also obvious David and Emily are going far because they were introduced in the first episode and haven't been caught yet.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 4

I forgot this show was even on this week. 

I did read the really good review here above and the two links embedded in same.  One is super detailed how the car rental ruse the first team pulled off was "faked" in that Enterprise doesn't hand over car rental contracts and the copy shown on screen was the renter's copy and how the plates weren't the plates shown etc etc.

The second link is to a short twitter posting contained the following:

Someone close to a #Hunted team told me they're required to use the ATM twice, and *must* move five miles every two days.

This stuff is so into pretendland I just can't be bothered anymore.  I mean it was obvious that street cameras couldn't be accessed by the bad guys (the hunters) even though the show tries to make you think that.  But it is all set up with production providing stuff to the hunters when and where needed.  It is obvious they pre-planned to allow one winner at most because no way would they actually give out that much money to multiple teams.  They kind of have to have a winner though or it would look weird where there wasn't a winner.  What to speak of being totally anti-climatic.

Anyway the show is not well thought out and just makes me feel like my chains are being pulled by every single scene so I'm out.  Also I hate big brother watching anyway and to make it into a show where big brother struts around so smug and arrogant when being hand fed all their great breakthrough "insights" makes me want to never watch this fake show ever again.

• Love 5

I'm beginning to sense the HEAVY hand of casting directors all over this show.  Reality shows have forever gone out of their way to cast certain types (redneck, beauty queen, nerd, gay guy, etc., etc.) and this show is full of that.  I can imagine casting director and staff choosing husband/wife who own a paint-ball and outdoors supply store because they can predict that that team will try to hide by camping in the woods; the two frat boys likely discussed their "girls always help us" strategy in auditions, and that was probably a (the) reason they were selected, and I assume that nearly every team discussed possible strategy during auditions so the Hunters had that to go on.  I suspect also that Social Media sites were studied in advance, to help in selecting fugitives who had plenty of "friends" to reach out to.

• Love 2
On 2/1/2017 at 4:46 PM, RedheadZombie said:

.  I did question how that one guy just absolutely knew that grifting strangers would be their tactic.  That seemed a little fishy.

It seemed really fishy to me as well.  As soon as the narrator explains the 'fugitives' tactic, within minutes we hear the hunters 'guessing' that tactic.  I just don't buy it, and it also takes away from any of the fun. 

• Love 6

Their tactic plus pretty limited region of operation cupid is fishy as hell. I suspect they are taping the Hunter's war room stuff after the fact and replicate what they've been doing such in a way that the narrative is tight and they look good. 

• Love 1

The Frat Bros made it to day 15 and it was condensed to about 20 minutes. It's possible that after Day 3 or 4, without them reaching out to family or friends, they figured out what the Frat Bros were doing. it's probably a pretty common tactic for a young, attractive guy hiding out from the police attempting a hide in plain sight strategy and any law enforcement would recognize it.

That being said, I totally believe that most, if not all of the command center stuff is filmed after the fact. Not necessarily that they're cheating but for editing and appearance purposes. 

So much seems staged.  The rules remain known only to the producers and the players but not the viewers.   The presence of the camera crew convinces the general public to accommodate players in ways they normally wouldn't if the players were just average schlubs on the street.   The hunters get ideas like bolts out of the blue and they're always correct.   The woman with the red hair has been wearing the same grey jacket and navy top for three weeks.   

I'm not having fun.

• Love 7

I got the impression after reading the article in "Reality Blurred" that there are three distinct factions operating on this show.  Of course, there are the fugitives, who are limited by certain rules (move 5 miles every 2 days, use the ATMs at least twice etc.) that we do not know about.  Then there are the Hunters, who use their experiences as former FBI, former CIA, former police officer, cybersecurity expert, to try to track down the fugitives, and then there is TPTB.  The show's production team, as I see it now, collects information from auditions, interviews, background checks prior to filming, as well as information from the camera crew and field producers traveling with the fugs.  The producers then sit on all this information until the Hunters specifically request some certain info.   Because the show has NO actual law enforcement authority and CANNOT request subpoenas or traffic cameras or other aids that real police could use, TPTB pretends to be the Government or Enterprise Car Rental or Walgreens or whatever and provides the Hunter team with info that is similar to what real police can request from real authorities.  I think they even attempt to simulate real life situations--as if a subpoena to get a receipt or a contract from a business might in reality take 2 days, TPTB waits 2 days to provide that info the the Hunters asking for it.

Some sense of reality is attempted as the Hunters are not just spoon-fed ALL the available info about the fugs, but are given only the info that they ask for, so the Hunters do have to use their expertise and request the right information to be successful.

I really don't think TPTB would mind if they had 2 or even 3 winners.  In Prime Time television world, $250,000 is just chump change anyway and multiple winners might make the show more popular and an easier sale to the network for a second season.

• Love 3
On 2/1/2017 at 8:06 PM, methodwriter85 said:

I feel like this show wants us to root on the Hunters, and that's just a wrong tact to take.

On the one hand, I agree with you about this.  It feels like this show should be about the "fugitives", and us rooting for one or more teams to win.

But on the other hand, I get why we're "supposed to root for" the Hunters.  They're the Law.  Specifically, they're (former) U.S. Law Enforcement (except for that one Brit, but close enough).  We "need" to see that OUR LEOs are capable of tracking down and capturing "any threat", and thus capable of defending us in real situations.  (Think the manhunt right after the Boston Marathon a little while ago.)  Which means a shift from "cunning Fugitives outwitting the hunters" to "heroic Hunters outwitting and capturing the sneaky fugitives."

And on the gripping hand, the cynic in me notes that a lot of CBS's dramatic programming is procedurals based on law enforcement on some level (NCIS, Criminal Minds, Blue Bloods, etc.).  And with that, there needs to be a level of LEO involvement in the shows.  Making a "reality" show where the LEOs are the "bad guys" doesn't seem like a way to keep the LEOs happy and on your side.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, SVNBob said:

But on the other hand, I get why we're "supposed to root for" the Hunters.  They're the Law.  Specifically, they're (former) U.S. Law Enforcement (except for that one Brit, but close enough).  We "need" to see that OUR LEOs are capable of tracking down and capturing "any threat", and thus capable of defending us in real situations.  (Think the manhunt right after the Boston Marathon a little while ago.)  Which means a shift from "cunning Fugitives outwitting the hunters" to "heroic Hunters outwitting and capturing the sneaky fugitives."

Really?  Gee, I guess it says a lot about me that my takeaway is almost exactly 180 degrees in the opposite direction.  :D

• I'm not real enamoured with any of the Runners to date (Legal Beard and GodGirl coming the closest to anything resembling a favorite team), but on general principle I find myself rooting for the runners; individuals running to preserve their freedom despite pursuit by the Establishment - a monolithic bureaucracy of technology and resources which will utilize any means, fair or foul, to capture them.
  • You describe the Hunter presentation as a demonstration intended to reassure Joe Citizen that our nation's law enforcement apparatus is SO capable of eliminating any threat that criminals have zero chance of evading them - that they shouldn't even bother to run, because capture is so inevitable.  I view it a little differently - more like a demonstration by Big Brother that you better not put one toe over the line even by accident, or you too will have your liberty erased by this monumental onslaught of governmental might - which will crush your freedom like a sledgehammer on a gnat.
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

You describe the Hunter presentation as a demonstration intended to reassure Joe Citizen that our nation's law enforcement apparatus is SO capable of eliminating any threat that criminals have zero chance of evading them - that they shouldn't even bother to run, because capture is so inevitable. 

Well, that's what I think they think they're doing.  And like I said, there may be an ulterior motive behind that (keeping LEO agencies happy so the network can still tap them as resources for other shows.)  But given the current political climate, I can see where your interpretation comes from.  And to be 100% clear, your view is as valid as mine.  The truth, as usual, is probably somewhere in the middle.

Do I think they're doing a good job with presenting my "interpretation"?  Not really.  I'm still kinda rooting for some of the runners.  (Not the DoucheFrats from this episode, or the swamp couple from the last one; but some of the others.)  And I'd like to see a team or two win.  But I highly doubt it'll happen. 

That might also be a factor in trying to make the Hunters the protagonists.   If we're rooting for the runners, but they all get caught, that's a disappointing end to the series.  But if we're rooting for the Hunters, and they successfully catch all the fugitives, then we get a satisfying ending, and grounds for a second season.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, SVNBob said:

Well, that's what I think they think they're doing.  And like I said, there may be an ulterior motive behind that (keeping LEO agencies happy so the network can still tap them as resources for other shows.)  But given the current political climate, I can see where your interpretation comes from.  And to be 100% clear, your view is as valid as mine.  The truth, as usual, is probably somewhere in the middle.

Absolutely!  And my take is probably more an indictment of my own anti-authority attitudes and mistrust of an over-militarized bureaucracy than anything else.  :)

We started watching with high hopes for a good new show.  For myself that has flown quickly out of the window; DH who is easily entertained still likes it.  In my mind if I think of this as a "reality" show I am rooting for the contestants to win because it's a show.  But if I think it through of course I want the law enforcement guys/gals to win...because if they cannot catch these people then what about the real criminals.

But if any of this is close to accurate as far as the gov't being able to access things like computers, cell phones etc of the family and friends of the fugitives as easily as they are showing then I really am disturbed.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Nashville said:

Absolutely!  And my take is probably more an indictment of my own anti-authority attitudes and mistrust of an over-militarized bureaucracy than anything else.  :)

Yes, me too.   It never even occurred to me to root for the hunters! 

• Love 5

I'm not rooting for the hunters, but only two of them irritate me.  I can't stand the grinning weasel in the newsboy cap, and the woman with the newly injected lips, who's always being filmed in profile.   I'm getting tired of the constant close-ups of Nose Ring, but I'm not irritated with her quite yet.

• Love 1

I like this show and I do think it is fairly as realistic as possible. For one if you are a fugitive on the run you usually don't get time to grab cash first or pack or buy burner phones for you and friends/family. The most unrealistic part is that the fugitive has an ATM card to use. A fugitive on the run will need to, at best, work for cash or at worst...steal or rob for it. I think most fugitives would know better than to try to contact friends or relatives. And real fugitives on the run probably aren't going to get much help from strangers since they don't have a camera crew with them.

I also think that the explosion of social media in the last few years means that if you do go on the run and you have used social media it is going to be fairly easy for law enforcement to get an accurate profile on you and get access to those accounts along with an extensive list of family/friends. I mean if you are actively running from law enforcement a judge is going to give them almost anything they ask for.

And yes I am rooting for the fugitives too but I don't think many will succeed but I think one or two will.

I have watched both seasons of the UK version. I will post more about that with the spoiler tag...and there are spoilers in there.

Spoiler

In the UK version their are contestants that are by themselves and there are also two person teams. The teams can (and do on two occasions) split up. The British guy on the American version was on both of the UK seasons and he was even more smug on it. Each season did have two separate winners but I won't delve into that here for the specifics. I will say that in the UK version the hunters have even more advantages with the (vehicle) plate recognition system that they use nationwide as well as a much more extensive CCTV system. If they know the vehicle you are in and the plate number it is only a matter of time before they find you. I will say the winners on the UK version were not the ones I thought had a good chance. In fact it turned out to be the opposite. And in the rules of the UK version they do state that the teams must stay on the move but nothing more specific than that. Top prize on the UK version is £100,000 which is about US $125,000. They offered one captured fugitive £5000 to rat on his uncaptured partner. He demanded £50000. They declined. :)

• Love 1

I don't think this is realistic at all, unless you can imagine fugitives who have no idea that they'll ever be caught. Otherwise, potential fugitives would almost certainly do at least some of the following: have some cash in case they have to run, have a burner phone, have a plan for a place to go if they need to, have a bag packed, have some money hidden somewhere, not saddle themselves with a partner, have a fake ID, and, most importantly, they would not be limited to staying in a certain geographic area or having to move a certain distance every so often. 

I'm not saying there aren't stupid fugitives--apparently there are, lots of them. They're just not entertainment. 

• Love 2
On 2/2/2017 at 1:25 PM, Gregg247 said:

I pretend like all the contestants are an international cartel of illegal gummi bear smugglers.

I haven't watched this episode yet, and since I decided I probably will not to watch it at all, I went ahead and read this forum. The above quote was one of the funniest things I've read on PTV, and I'm considering it canon. I'm still routing for the "fugitives" (is that what they are called on this show?), because I really, really, really dislike the Hunters, and gummi bears should be smuggled if they are not available to everyone.

• Love 2