Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E09: Harry's Meat And Gatsby's Fete

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

So then the idea with that big old jar was that Lisa & Harry would, what? Dip into it like a punch bowl?!

I guess they could keep some pre-mixed and pour into smaller drinking vessels as needed.  Maybe the Xanax needs time to dissolve.

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

Harry looks a LOT like my Dad, so I just cannot judge his attractiveness, or lack thereof. But he just seems like a really nice, down to earth guy. 

As Harry got older, still damned attractive, he looks like a bobble doll, lost some of his beefiness.  The least attractive thing about Harry Hamlin in his wife.  So fake, so phony.

• Love 10
55 minutes ago, ladle said:

I'm not saying Harry is like a deformed troll or anything, but he's always seemed just average-looking to me.  (Maybe slightly above average for real life, average for Beverly Hills.)  I can never seem to understand why all of the women on the show are swooning over him.  I must be missing something! 

I, too, enjoyed Dorit for a brief, glimmering moment when she was working out with the trainer. 

Erika's acting was actually better than I thought it would be, though to be fair I had zero expectations.

Eden is awful.  I do agree with her that Kim can come across as self-centered but I think that's just because... Kim, generally, is self-centered (and sometimes not very nice).  Like I think not thanking someone for helping her down the stairs is exactly in line with the Kim we have seen since day 1 on this show.  I don't know if she's relapsing or not, but I think to a large extent that's just Kim's personality, whether on the wagon or off.

Ericka  was exactly right when stating that Eden needs to stop expecting to get from people what she gives. Life is not that way ..People generally are not going to treat you the way you treat them.  Eden personality will make you not want to acknowledge her at all , Kim was trying to avoid any conversation with Eden, and I for one don't blame her.  Kim was so funny when she said, Eden is everywhereshe's all over the place, there is no getting away from this woman.  I can only hope that when Eden views these previous episodes she can see how ridiculous she looks.

Edited by byrd
  • Love 11

I think Harry for all of the fact that he is a Hollywood Star is among the most normal of all the husbands on all of the Franchises. He managed to support his wife by being present for a whole episode without being a weird creep like PK or an oleaginous on the make sales/sleaze like Maurice or  Ken the first stuffed pet that Lisa Vanderpump acquired before she got Giggy. Vinnie is the only other normal one that you could hang out with and have a beer.

The fact that he cooked made it a lot more personal and fun in my humble opinion. The food looked great and it was one of the few parties that I have seen that I would have wanted to attend. 

Rinna is a lucky gal. I think she knows that and that is why she is so fierce in her protectiveness toward him and why she went for Kim. 

• Love 13

Harry Hamlin can grill and roll out a pie crust. And build cabinets. Sounds like literally every guy I know.  

For people who weren't watching tv in the 80s, Harry Hamlin was the hottie of the tv show LA Law, which seems very "so what, who cares" when I type it out, but was a pretty BFD in the 80s. They were simpler times, with a lot less tv choices. You kids today, with your cable and your netflix!

• Love 20

I watched this episode again last night. Kim walking down the steps, reminded me of me going down stairs.  Ever since I broke my leg, I can't go down steps normally.  I even had a hand rail put on my 2 front porch steps.  Of course it does not help that I broke my leg going down steps.   Didn't Kim claim a previous leg injury?  I'm sure being drunk, has made her fall quite a few times.  I fall  easily and I am not hardly ever drunk.  

• Love 5
21 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

But...who cares? She knows her age and is her age and maybe she doesn't give a fuck; I've never heard her trying to claim she's not her age or running around claiming to be in better shape than other people. You like the dress, you wear the dress--big damn deal. And that is zero evidence as to one's opinion of oneself; not everyone feels the need to hide things that random strangers might find unsightly, or attempting to appear younger. And saying she's not attractive is silly; obviously there are people who find her attractive. Good lord, age is not a crime. If anyone talked that way about my late eccentric grandma, I'd have told them to shut it--my grandma was clearly having more fun than some person saying ageist crap. 

It's MY opinion of LV. You don't agree? I REALLY don't care.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Jel said:

Harry Hamlin can grill and roll out a pie crust. And build cabinets. Sounds like literally every guy I know.  

For people who weren't watching tv in the 80s, Harry Hamlin was the hottie of the tv show LA Law, which seems very "so what, who cares" when I type it out, but was a pretty BFD in the 80s. They were simpler times, with a lot less tv choices. You kids today, with your cable and your netflix!

Paul Newman made salad dressing and spaghetti sauce.  I think there are any number of husbands, even famous actors who are pretty handy. 

Harry Hamlin was on fire during his LA LAW days.  Here he is with his wife at the time.  He had a fairly successful movie career until he did a certain movie. After LA LAW he met Rinna. 220px-Harry_Hamlin,_Laura_Johnson_(20912

• Love 4
10 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Maybe I should look into this chlorophyll business--is it like a diffuser kind of situation? I like the idea of plants doing nice things for my indoor air but, except for one tenacious bamboo, I just cannot keeps plants healthy! 

I've purchased it in concentrate form from a health food store. You add a few drops of it to your water. I'm still not entirely sure WHAT it does, really, but the mint-flavored one reminded me of my favorite spa, so that was enough for me. It's just kind of refreshing and I don't think there's anything *bad* about it.

• Love 1

For some reason, L.A. Law seems to not be as remembered as other shows of that era are today? Too bad. It was a pretty good show. Good ensemble cast, good stories, and was both a commercial and critical success.

• Love 9
21 minutes ago, AndySmith said:

For some reason, L.A. Law seems to not be as remembered as other shows of that era are today? Too bad. It was a pretty good show. Good ensemble cast, good stories, and was both a commercial and critical success.

And a lot of pretty people.  Super pretty people!

• Love 4

Maybe I'm missing something.  I think most of the comments about LVP is not 'age' shaming (sure, there are some).   It doesn't matter what your age is.  Many of the comments were about being looking 'dated', including myself.  You can look 'dated' at any age.  That's not saying you should be the epitome of what's the current trend.  If LVP is happy, so be it.  But she is a celebrity.  She is on a show and people do have a right to express their opinion on her choices no matter what her age is. BTW, I've always been a super critic of 'age' shaming.  I can't stand it. I especially can't stand it when a housewife is referred to as as a 'hag'.  Don't even get me started on the 'c' word.  I'm looking at you Erika - who doesn't understand a woman trying to succeed in the professional world.  I could go on with our President's dress code for women.  OK.  I put one foot on the soap box.  I'll take it off...very hard. 

I do find it interesting that Kyle's party planner has been 'fat' shamed by some people.  And that he looks disheveled.  Maybe he's working his ass off.  From what I've seen and understand, he's been Kyle's party planner for years and has done a darn good job overall.  He's not there to have a 'certain' appearance.  He's there to plan a fantastic party. 

• Love 5

Right!  Thank you breezy424! There is no age shaming going on here.  How can you shame someone for aging? Everyone will eventually get there too, so you can't shame a person for time marching on.

I'm knocking her just for the fact that she is still dressing like Reagan is in the White House.

Edited by heatherchandler
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

How can you shame someone for aging? 

It's pretty easy, imo  -- refs to someone's wrinkled body (only the young have no wrinkles) and how they should hide it, not flaunt it; refs about how someone looks older than they are (if age weren't an issue, we'd all want to look older -- as I did when I was twelve, wanting to look sixteen) and overall, pointing to age as a negative, not a bonus; a deficit to be compensated for, not a win to be celebrated.

And a lot of pretty people.  Super pretty people!

That show was my introduction to Jimmy Smits, AKA Victor Sifuentes. My. God. 

Edited by film noire
  • Love 19

Right!  Thank you breezy424! There is no age shaming going on here.  How can you shame someone for aging? Everyone will eventually get there too, so you can't shame a person for time marching on.

Well, that's just flat-out untrue. While all of the posts mentioning age are not "shaming," (and, man, is that an overused term), there are plenty that are. And to say that people "can't" do that simply because they will age too is like saying that I physically "can't" criticize someone for, say, driving too fast or drinking too much coffee if I also do it. Indeed I can--I'd be a hypocrite, of course, but just the fact that I also do it doesn't keep me from saying those words.

To me, the posts saying nonsense about how she (whichever "she") should or shouldn't (or needs to) do or wear something because of age fit into that category. It's not the opinions themselves that make it ageist, it's the wording--the shoulds, needs, and shouldn'ts coming from people who think that age somehow dictates what is acceptable for a fully autonomous adult woman to do. Saying someone looks bad in this or that is one thing; saying that she's too old for it is another, and that's where it gets age-shamey.

(Either way, excuse me while I go put my ancient 45-year-old body into a pair of ripped Levis (which I've had since I was, like, 25ish so maybe they're OK because of a grandfather clause?) and old band T-shirt, and wrangle my probably too-long-for-my-age hair into a jaunty and immature high-up ponytail and maybe actually get off this couch at some point...)

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 16
4 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

Isn't chlorophyll what makes plants green? Why not eat plants?

It's also known as E140. I bet Eden wouldn't knowingly eat something known as E140. 

I suppose because one can only eat so much salad ;) It's very concentrated, and (I guess) often used to freshen one's breath and, er, stool. 

Two and half year old article on outdated trends:  http://www.harpersbazaar.com/fashion/trends/g3494/pieces-that-make-you-look-dated/?slide=1

Huffington Post weigh in on six signs you are not dressing your age: Real Housewife reference is one of the signs .http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-6-signs-youre-not-dressing-your-age_us_5797aa88e4b02d5d5ed30f88

This recommends, collarbones, wrists and back of the neck as lifelong areas of display: http://www.harpersbazaar.com/fashion/trends/a10437/dressing-your-age-0415/

• Love 2

But there's really no such thing as "dressing your age" though (and who's the judge of "appropriate"?)--unless you're literally trying to cram yourself into a toddler's onesie or something, haha! You're an adult, you get to pick out your own clothes (and, yes, other adults are free to dislike said clothes). It just reminds me of old-school articles saying that women over a certain weight shouldn't wear bright prints or colors. Fuck that. OK, maybe those things do create the illusion of more body, but maybe some women aren't concerned about that and would rather be happy with their outfits. Neither is wrong--just depends on what you want your clothes to do for you.

ETA: Guilty of just about everything in the HuffPo piece in some aspect or another. Also frequently complimented on my wardrobe. Lists like that don't take into consideration that the person simply might not want to do those suggestions, or might not at all "want people to think that you are pulled together, creative, powerful, self-possessed." Hey man, I'm just eating at a diner and then seeing a movie, ahahahhahaaa!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 10

I think it all goes back to what is flattering.  When I think of LVP I think of really high heels, a black knee length skirt, updated in recent years to have a visible metal zipper than runs up the back, a tucked in long sleeve, usually bright pink top, with varying degrees of skin exposure.  The last couple of seasons she has gone with the off the shoulder neckline for her THs.  I am not crazy about her recent look with the Bump-it, but essentially she has always had longish unlayered hair.   I don't find satin flattering on most people on TV, while I am like the cut of the dress or the color, the satin is just off putting to me. To me it is better left from crime fighters capes. Ramona and LVP are fond of satin.  Although I think in recent years after breast augmentation, she traded in satin for macramé.  Same with lace other than ivory or black, bright coloured lace, at its worst was Luann's red lace jumpsuit, LVP has had some sad lace choices. 

To me, Erika Jayne/Girardi is for the most part always in costume be it the wigs, extensions, catsuits, pigtails, satin bomber jacket, T-Shirt dress, she always seems to be going for a look.  Whether that look be Little Bo-Peep, her birthday look with the below the butt hair extensions.  Almost as if the clothes wear her instead of her (whoever that might be) wearing the clothes.    

Season 1 Reunion looks: real-housewives-of-beverly-hills-reunion

Interesting to me is there is satin, (Kim), lace, Camille, Dynasty Kyle and LVP, one armed dresses Taylor and Camille.  Adrienne dress is a good example why rousching  isn't always that photogenic.  Compare the same ladies to Season 3: 

18il7e7qdg802jpg.jpg

Metallic and sparkles are front and center.  Camille and Adrienne with the lace.  I think these ladies feel pretty safe when they do themed parties.  At least in the reruns the fashion isn't considered dated.  As in what was in 2010 may seems dated in 2019.  Great Gatsby, Flapper, Moulin Rouge is a defined era.

Edited by zoeysmom
  • Love 3

Ughhhh, Kim Richards. Her valley girl mannerisms and ticks drive me nuts. Telling Camille she is off on holiday and acting secretive about it and saying "and You're gonna want to know All about it", were pathetic and poor Camille went along with it instead of admitting she doesn't give a crap. 

LVP is so dowdy. With the resources and money at her disposal she could be drop dead gorgeous and fit as a fiddle. 

• Love 2

One of the "tells" that LVP has npd is that she refuses to update her look - it's a common trait of those with npd to remain stuck in the years when they felt most powerful, and for a somatic narcissist (as opposed to a cerebral one) that power is tied up with looks, style and sex appeal.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, nexxie said:

One of the "tells" that LVP has npd is that she refuses to update her look - it's a common trait of those with npd to remain stuck in the years when they felt most powerful, and for a somatic narcissist (as opposed to a cerebral one) that power is tied up with looks, style and sex appeal.

LVP Season 1real-housewives-beverly-hills-18.jpg

real-housewives-beverly-hills-01.jpg

The really bad dress from Season 1:  lisa-vanderpump.jpg

Last season:520488428_lisa-vanderpump-zoom-c38318d7-

Going back and looking at the photos the only ones who have really changed up their looks are Yolanda, getting rid of the really bad extensions, and Eileen growing her hair out longer-who looks fabulous at whatever length.  I see a difference from year to year with LVP.  I don't see LVP being as trendy as Kyle or Rinna, Kyle has a few misses, but Rinna can literally wear anything or nothing.  I am not sure what year in LVP's life she felt the most power-Season 1, when she 49 years old and run away fan favorite and getting s spin-off? 

it is not as if LVP has hit Joan Collins territory:   82689dbc46a5be33690f6a7067007fd7.jpg

Edited by zoeysmom
  • Love 6
On 2/2/2017 at 11:27 PM, film noire said:

He's The King of reality tv manhood (an easy crown to win, admittedly). He appeared on a prestige show, grills meat to perfection, bakes pies, appears to love his crazy wife with a big mouth (figuratively and actually) and enjoys the Canadian wilderness more than the pissant wannabe streets of Los Angeles. Harry Hamlin is a boss.

And when is it a poor choice for one to invite people over for one's own set-up, decorating, and cooking?   GEEZ!

• Love 3

I don't think LVP's main fashion problem is being stuck in a look; Hutton's been "stuck" in the style/look below since I was a kid, and it's wearing well, imo. Ditto for a lot of other classic fashion icons still wearing clean lines, even if combined with wild hair like Betty Catroux (or Linda Rodin, for whom no fashion rules apply; she's just fabulous whatever she wears).  I think LVP's biggest fashion issue is taste. She seems to have very little (always dolled up in something shiny, glittery, ruffly, fluffy - rarely sleek and stylish). And her scale is always off (bags, shoes, accessories are always too big on her) and her hair chokes/hides her neckline, which shortens the line of her body and makes her hair seem out of scale as well.  She needs three days with Stacy and Clinton.

lauren hutton.jpg

• Love 1

Eden is either trying waaaaayy too hard or she is a frickin' mess!  That house looked like one of Mauricio's empties that's on the market.  I noticed there was absolutely NOTHING on any of the walls, ANYWHERE.  Nobody lives there!

The fact that she keeps trying to jump into the Kim drama just makes her look crazy or thirsty.  And bravogods, WHY do we still have to be subjected to Kim anyway?? I'm sooo tired of her!!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, zoeysmom said:

LVP Season 1real-housewives-beverly-hills-18.jpg

real-housewives-beverly-hills-01.jpg

The really bad dress from Season 1:  lisa-vanderpump.jpg

Last season:520488428_lisa-vanderpump-zoom-c38318d7-

Going back and looking at the photos the only ones who have really changed up their looks are Yolanda, getting rid of the really bad extensions, and Eileen growing her hair out longer-who looks fabulous at whatever length.  I see a difference from year to year with LVP.  I don't see LVP being as trendy as Kyle or Rinna, Kyle has a few misses, but Rinna can literally wear anything or nothing.  I am not sure what year in LVP's life she felt the most power-Season 1, when she 49 years old and run away fan favorite and getting s spin-off? 

it is not as if LVP has hit Joan Collins territory:   82689dbc46a5be33690f6a7067007fd7.jpg

She had a couple of acting roles in the early 1990s so she's probably locked in to around that time when she was in her prime. 

eta: That was when I was my best so I get it.

Edited by Almost 3000
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Almost 3000 said:

She had a couple of acting roles in the early 1990s so she's probably locked in to around that time when she was in her prime. 

It does make her appear older and doddering IMO! Walking and trying to dance, you would think she's 80! I'm a lot older and don't look or move as arthritic-like as she does at several years my junior! ;-)

• Love 2
On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 6:11 PM, Jel said:

There are only a handful of TV star related stories/scandals that I recall going viral in a pre-internet, pre-social media world.

Harry Hamlin's divorces involving Nicolette Sheridan were among them.  Yes, he was a BFD at the time.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

There are only a handful of TV star related stories/scandals that I recall going viral in a pre-internet, pre-social media world.

Harry Hamlin's divorces involving Nicolette Sheridan were among them.  Yes, he was a BFD at the time.

Harry has always been one of the biggest stars going way back before the internet because of his relationships and projects; all have been huge! From Ursula Andress to Nicolette Sheridan, that kept him in the news, but work brought more thought provoking, topical, & controversial issues to the fore! From "Clash Of The Titans" to "Making Love," he proved his "chops" in acting and wasn't just a pretty face! ;-)

• Love 4

There is NO age shaming going on here!  There is a lot of fashion shaming though, and I'm loving it.  Some of the women lack style and taste.  Some can't pull off what they are trying to pull off.  

10 hours ago, Juliegirlj said:

LVP is so dowdy. With the resources and money at her disposal she could be drop dead gorgeous and fit as a fiddle. 

LVP looks so dowdy- thank you for that word! While I'm laughing at her, I'm also laughing at Ken's fashion choices and his hair!  He looks ridiculous and his hair is so 1970's!

I remember LA LAW oh my god I was obsessed with it!  Mickey was the hottest.  Oh and Arnie was hot too but smarmy.  I remember when Susan Day and Harry were dating on the show and the storyline was that they hit a slump and were bored with each other- I remember thinking "who would be bored with Harry??"  

Why is it not on Netflix??  I want to do a rewatch but can't find it online.  Don't really want to buy the dvds.  Anyone know where to look?  Not excited about a reboot, the original can't be topped.

• Love 1
On 1/31/2017 at 7:04 PM, Sai said:

PK won major points for me tonight when he compared Eileen and LisaR to the two old muppet guys in the balcony.  Bwahahaha!!!!  They were so insulted.  Heehee.

The Baldwin Sisters from the Waltons come to mind too , lol!

IMG_3989.JPG

• Love 9
1 minute ago, heatherchandler said:

There is NO age shaming going on here!  There is a lot of fashion shaming though, and I'm loving it.  Some of the women lack style and taste.  Some can't pull off what they are trying to pull off.  

LVP looks so dowdy- thank you for that word! While I'm laughing at her, I'm also laughing at Ken's fashion choices and his hair!  He looks ridiculous and his hair is so 1970's!

I remember LA LAW oh my god I was obsessed with it!  Mickey was the hottest.  Oh and Arnie was hot too but smarmy.  I remember when Susan Day and Harry were dating on the show and the storyline was that they hit a slump and were bored with each other- I remember thinking "who would be bored with Harry??"  

Why is it not on Netflix??  I want to do a rewatch but can't find it online.  Don't really want to buy the dvds.  Anyone know where to look?  Not excited about a reboot, the original can't be topped.

Who didn't she sleep with; Leland maybe? It was a colossal joke making it like our old "Laurie Partridge" was now this "hot to trot" bomb shell! I got sucked into the Mickey & Grace romance, but she moved on to Victor as seamlessly as any relationship she had! actress-susan-dey-poses-for-a-portrait-i

• Love 1

So basically, we've moved from talking about a fictional character to...social commentary about why rich people suck? You're assuming all people who have wealth are people who abuse the system, even though in this case, there isn't any abusing going on. It is simply people reaping the benefits of what they are entitled to, regardless of whether or not others are struggling. You don't know what else these people are doing in their lives, how much they might donate to charities, etc.

In any case, I think we're a bit (ok, way) off topic here to be having this discussion. If nothing else, there is an L.A. Law forum, should you feel the need to keep discussing this topic.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 15
27 minutes ago, Jamie Satyr said:

Most programs are abused as it is, but to ask for benefits that aren't needed when others are struggling to put a roof over my head is just offensive to me! I know I won't be abusing "the system" like most! ;-)

I agree that many government programs are 'abused' by people who really aren't entitled to the benefits.  But how is a program being abused by people who contributed to as per the law?  This is not food stamps or welfare.  This is a program that requires a contribution by every employee and every employer in this country.  Over seven percent of everyone's salary up to about $127,000 is withheld and the the employer is required to contribute the same.  Taking what you are entitled to per the social security/medicare system is not 'abuse'.  The people who take food stamps or welfare because they don't want to work for a wage 'below' them is abuse.  With that said, there are many people who work hard at multiple jobs but still don't make a decent income and I get it.

Sorry mods.  We're going off track. 

• Love 9

There is NO age shaming going on here! 

But there is. It's not against the rules, and so I personally don't care about that a few people are doing it, as it's the individual poster's call to engage in it. Some of us just acknowledge that it is happening, and have mentioned that we're not going to base our criticisms of these chicks on their ages (or that we don't agree with stuffy old clothing "rules" that infantilize grown women far more than any ill-chosen dress ever could--and just to be clear, I do say that as a person who does not love quite few of Lisa's outfits, and do agree that they are not flattering [particularly the smooth-and-shiny ones and anything with a too-tight neck!]. But whatever, she probably has 4,000 dresses; they can't all be winners, and if she likes them, then also whatever).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 15
21 hours ago, Juliegirlj said:

Ughhhh, Kim Richards. Her valley girl mannerisms and ticks drive me nuts. Telling Camille she is off on holiday and acting secretive about it and saying "and You're gonna want to know All about it", were pathetic and poor Camille went along with it instead of admitting she doesn't give a crap. 

LVP is DOWDY. Great description of how she looks and how she dresses.

On 2/3/2017 at 6:11 PM, Jel said:

He was the resident hottie until Jimmy Smits came along,  then, BAM!  I still swoon over Jimmy Smits!! 

On 2/3/2017 at 7:12 PM, Trooper York said:

Oh yeah LA Law. Susan Dey.....nice.

Wonder what she's up to these days~~they were a good TV couple.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

He was the resident hottie until Jimmy Smits came along,  then, BAM!  I still swoon over Jimmy Smits!! 

Wonder what she's up to these days~~they were a good TV couple.

Here she is at 56-LVP's age.  158110.jpeg

Edited by zoeysmom
11 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

Here she is at 56-LVP's age.  158110.jpeg

My first thought was that she is looking a little rough, but then I realized that I am looking at her as a celebrity.  If she was the person next door to me, I would think she looks fine.  She looks like she hasn't had any typical-for-LA work done, so that is probably why my first thought was skewed.  She really does have beautiful eye color.  

• Love 4
12 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Try the library for the DVDs.

• Love 1