Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E11: Aerial Manuevers /S16.E12: Fusion Confusion

Drogo
  • Start Topic

The chefs pair up for a taste challenge in which the winners receive Vitamix blenders and a special trapeze lesson on the Santa Monica Pier.

Later, the chefs learn that the night's dinner service will be a unique one, as they will host a private, invitation only service that honors major contributors to the charity "Stand Up to Cancer." After a few hiccups, one team must chose two people for elimination, which causes an unexpected deliberation.

In the second hour, the chefs must pair up for their challenge in which they must try and combine two countries' flavors to impress guest judge, Roy Yamaguchi, owner and executive chef of Roy's.

Later during dinner service, the chefs try to impress Chef Ramsay, as well as special guest diners that include actors Kellita Smith ("Z Nation"), Jasika Nicole ("Fringe"), Patrick Renna ("The Sandlot") and Tommy Savas ("State of Affairs").

I don't like any of these people.  Devin gives Wendy a hard time because she didn't take a "leap of faith for the team" by going on a trapeze on the reward.  He said he wanted her gone because of it.  Like a fear of heights makes you unable to cook? 

I haven't watched the second part yet.  This show is predictable and boring.

• Love 5

Comcast showed both episodes here tonight (Central Illinois).  

Ryan has the weirdest eyebrows.

She always looks like she fills them in with a stencil.  They don't even match.  She'd be pretty if her eyebrows weren't so distracting.

I don't really like any of the contestants but I felt a bit sorry for Devin in the second hour.  Gordon was just screaming at him to bring his dish up and then excoriated him when it wasn't cooked through.  It felt unfair although the whole bit also felt staged.

I'd never heard of any of the celebrities.  In fact, I'd never heard of any of their shows.  

As I think I've said before, the only person I find likable on this show is Marino.

• Love 4

In what universe is getting up on a 30-foot platform and being forced to fumble around on a trapeze in front of a bunch of tourists a reward???

They've been doing this more and more - the winning team gets to perform physical stunts most of them don't want to do, and the losers get a crappy clean-up assignment.  I'd rather clean up.  

Really - a lot of the contestants aren't exactly in prime physical condition, and I think the show is holding them up to ridicule.  (That's our job.)

Now, the second reward was what it should be - a shopping spree followed by a tasting at a Michelin-starred restaurant.

And YES, Mystery, Paulie did say litness test.  I had to run the DVR back to make sure that's what I'd heard.  How he's still around I'll never know.

All the men this season have been tools.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, spiderpig said:

In what universe is getting up on a 30-foot platform and being forced to fumble around on a trapeze in front of a bunch of tourists a reward???

I didn't like the woman who balked at the trapeze - she seems a little nuts at times - but I felt complete empathy with her.   she climbed up, freaked out, and wouldn't do the trapeze.  I wouldn't have climbed up the ladder.  

• Love 7

WTF, RAMSAY?!  WHY THE FUCK DO YOU STILL KEEP SAVING PAULIE?!  HE NEEDS TO GO!  ENOUGH SAID!

I feel like Wendy and Devin both got screwed tonight.  Paulie was the reason the blue team lost both services, yet for some reason, Ramsay continues to keep him in the game and send them both home.  Yeah.  That's totally fair.  Come on, Ramsay!  Even you seem to know by now that he's not winning this season!  So why bother?!  I have to think the producers are basically forcing him to, because every time he's up for elimination, he seems fed up and ready to send him packing.  And then ultimately doesn't.

I love, love, love that Kimberly has remained strong despite the bile being thrown at her by Andrew and Paulie.  I hope she surprises them both and outlasts at least one of them.

Ryan had her first bad service tonight, but even then, it was still better than Devin and Paulie's performances.  But I was floored when she said that Paulie shouldn't have gone up and Devin should've just over the ticket-calling thing.  I lost a bit of respect her there.  Like, quite a bit.

Really not much to say about Heidi or Heather.  Both have remained strong and solid.  They keep their heads down and fucking cook.

Andrew's jerk side is reemerging, just like I thought it would.  From bitching about Kimberly outlasting Matt in the first hour to his constant attacking her in the second hour, he's almost as bad as Paulie.

I actually liked both challenges.  Nice spin on the Taste It, Now Make It challenge.  And I was actually shocked at how poorly everyone but Ryan and Kimberly did with the fusion challenge.

It was pretty obvious the red team was winning both services.  Save for some slight hiccups, they really didn't mess up that much on either one, while the blue team stumbled across the finish line both times.

Like I said above, both eliminations were complete B.S.  Wendy shouldn't have gone home just because Paulie walked up her dish before she was ready, and Devin shouldn't have gone home because of pretty much every mistake Paulie made.  But the producers (it just has to be their call, not Ramsay's) want him in for whatever reason, so people less culpable keep getting screwed.

Black jackets are next week.  Paulie had better not get one of them.  If he does, he'd better be the first black jacket eliminated.

I feel like the two hours were a waste of time.  They would've been enjoyable had Paulie gone home at the end of one of them.  But to keep teasing us with his ouster and continuing to keep him in the game over more competent contestants?  Ramsay . . . I'm gonna lose so much respect for you if you let him progress too much farther, especially over these much better chefs.

• Love 13
8 hours ago, spiderpig said:

7 hours ago, backformore said:

I didn't like the woman who balked at the trapeze - she seems a little nuts at times - but I felt complete empathy with her.   she climbed up, freaked out, and wouldn't do the trapeze.  I wouldn't have climbed up the ladder.  

The reward choice was, shall we say, questionable.  A lot of people would like the trapeze thing, a lot of people wouldn't.  I thought it was completely unnecessary to show Wendy not being able to work up the nerve to try it.  I felt bad for her - it had to be humiliating in front of her fellow cheftestants and even worse having it shown on national TV.

Paulie sucks.

• Love 10

WHY IS PAULIE STILL ON MY SCREEN!!??

Heidi, Ryan or (would surprise me maybe) Kim FTW.

eta.....Andrew is a total jerk.  As y'all said most of these guys were total tools.  I hope Andrew's fiancé dumps his sorry ass after this aired.

Edited by OhioSongbird
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, OhioSongbird said:

WHY IS PAULIE STILL ON MY SCREEN!!??

Heidi, Ryan or (would surprise me maybe) Kim FTW.

Because we need the drama, apparently.  Gah.

And just those three, @OhioSongbird?  Not Heather, who hasn't been that offensive at all?

• Love 2
14 hours ago, HughOS said:

Wow the men this season are absolute trash. Fuck Paulie. Andrew is terrible too, smug cheating asshole.

100% agree.  Andrew and Paulie are both absolute trash.  Matt and Johnny were dickheads too.  I'm glad they're gone.  Where did they find these horrible men for this season?  And why did the producers think having a group of disgusting pigs like these guys would make for an enjoyable TV show?

• Love 13

100% agree.  Andrew and Paulie are both absolute trash.  Matt and Johnny were dickheads too.  I'm glad they're gone.  Where did they find these horrible men for this season?  And why did the producers think having a group of disgusting pigs like these guys would make for an enjoyable TV show?

Kinda makes me wonder what any potential employers will think about ever hiring them after they've watched the show. Some of these chefs are just horrid, horrid people, but that's just my two cents.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Zoe said:

Look at that, Andrew quoted The Sandlot and one of the kids showed up during service.

I noticed that, too!  One of the redeeming things about the episode!:)

• Love 4

I cannot stand Pauline so I was really hoping all of his THs meant he was leaving. The guy has no self-awareness and blames everyone else for his mistakes. The WORST kind of person you want running a kitchen. Devin seemed to have a meltdown but I don't remember him ever being like that. What happened, I wonder?

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Major Bigtime said:

I cannot stand Pauline so I was really hoping all of his THs meant he was leaving. The guy has no self-awareness and blames everyone else for his mistakes. The WORST kind of person you want running a kitchen. Devin seemed to have a meltdown but I don't remember him ever being like that. What happened, I wonder?

What's worse is that in one of his confessionals, Paulie even said that he's the head chef at the restaurant at which he works back home in Brooklyn.  I shudder to think how he runs the kitchen there.

• Love 4

Are male chefs all this misogynist? All of them seem to think that having a penis automatically makes them a better chef and most of them treat the women, who have beat the pants off them repeatedly, like crap.

Edited by Nysha
Apostrophe s is not needed for plurals.
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Nysha said:

Are male chefs all this misogynist? All of them seem to think that having a penis automatically makes them a better chef and most of them treat the women, who have beat the pants off them repeatedly, like crap.

The same can be said about men in other professions.  It's just the men themselves and not all men.  And I'm sure the flip side exists also.  One just has to keep reminding oneself.  At least I do.  Sometimes it just is what it is. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Michel said:

What's worse is that in one of his confessionals, Paulie even said that he's the head chef at the restaurant at which he works back home in Brooklyn.  I shudder to think how he runs the kitchen there.

I would take that claim with a grain of salt.  Or perhaps that means he's the only cook at a diner.

• Love 6
On 1/6/2017 at 3:15 AM, Michel said:

Wendy shouldn't have gone home just because Paulie walked up her dish before she was ready

I may have missed something, but at the end Ramsey was saying she was inconsistent about why, that first she talked about the capers walking, then the potatoes, but I thought what she said was always that the potatoes went up before she was ready.  From my point of view, her issue was that she didn't want to throw someone else under the bus, and she should have in this case.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, lh25 said:

I may have missed something, but at the end Ramsey was saying she was inconsistent about why, that first she talked about the capers walking, then the potatoes, but I thought what she said was always that the potatoes went up before she was ready.  From my point of view, her issue was that she didn't want to throw someone else under the bus, and she should have in this case.

And Ramsay wanted to get rid of her. Period. I really believe he's already picked who he wants in the finale, and who he wants to work for him afterward. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Major Bigtime said:

And Ramsay wanted to get rid of her. Period. I really believe he's already picked who he wants in the finale, and who he wants to work for him afterward. 

Yep, he knows who's going to win at this point. He's keeping Paulie because he thinks the chaos and strife Paulie brings to the show is good for ratings.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Nysha said:

Yep, he knows who's going to win at this point. He's keeping Paulie because he thinks the chaos and strife Paulie brings to the show is good for ratings.

He's wrong, of course.  It's making it worse.  But you're right that that's what he clearly thinks.  He and the producers.

• Love 3

I guess I'm not the only one who thought the trapeze prize was a joke. There wasn't even a nice lunch thrown in wth it. That was a total waste of time. It was pretty obvious that Wendy was getting way too much camera time, which usually means they are hitting the bricks at the end of the episode. She never showed any skill in the kitchen besides a decent palate, but then again, other than Heidi and Ryan, no one there shows any skill that would convince a restaurateur to hire them as anything but an entry level line cook. Most of them would be lucky to get hired as an assistant busser.

Once again, two episodes where the celebs were unknown to me, and seemed more concerned with getting a free meal and some camera time than anything else. 

Paulie the Weasel has taken over Top Douchenozzle Status, which was open since Matt left. Andrew occasionally seems to be in the running, but he also shows a decent side from time to time, something Paulie the Weasel has never done. Either way, none of the guys deserve to be in the final four, although my guess is one will make it for drama purposes, certainly not based on cooking or leadership skills.

In the second episode, when the blue team was on their reward lunch, I thought it was nice when Ryan basically shot down both of the jerks at the table. They never explained how the $2,000 reward was to be spent, whether it was split three ways or each of them got two grand. They showed Ryan with an overflowing shopping cart going to checkout,  yet when she was shown leaving the store, had only one shopping bag that did not appear to be close to full. The editors should pay more attention to those details, it makes the reward seem fake, which it actually probably is. 

They also showed the phony elimination vote, where they made it seem like Paulie the Weasel and Devin conspired to vote for Ryan. Yet when GR asked for a name, it was Devin. That didn't make sense, since they had just shown Paulie the Weasel saying he would rather eliminate Ryan, and obviously he would have had to tell Devin who he voted for. So more phony drama to pad time.

And yes, Paulie the Weasel did say "litness test". He really is a moron. 

Next weeks preview shows the drama coming from Andrews woman coming into the picture. Based on previous phony teasers, I doubt anything will come of it. Hopefully the next elimination will be Paulie the Weasel, or Andrew, or both. 

I really don't see how the Finale can be anyone but Heidi and Ryan, but realistically, I don't think any of these people are capable of running a kitchen, let alone a GR kitchen.

• Love 7

They showed Ryan with an overflowing shopping cart going to checkout,  yet when she was shown leaving the store, had only one shopping bag that did not appear to be close to full. The editors should pay more attention to those details, it makes the reward seem fake, which it actually probably is. 

I noticed that too and forgot to mention it.  I'd really like to know the details of how the shopping trip works because that reward and the meals at notable restaurants are the only rewards that appeal to me.   Trapeze act.............no way would I do that.

• Love 1

I noticed the small bags at the reward and figured the big stuff like lots and pans was shipped to their homes.

Paulie HAS to be getting set up for a humongous fail.  And I hope he feels some sort of shame watching this back with the absolute trash that comes out of his mouth.  I would hang out with "redneck" Devin all day and twice on Sunday before I would even think about walking into the same building as Paulie.

I'm aggravated that we share a state, but I do with Kimberley as well which is ok. I think Syracuse is closer to Ontario than it is to Brooklyn anyways.  Fuck off, Paulie.

Kimberley is the only one I can tolerate at his point.

• Love 5
On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:15 PM, Nysha said:

probably not, but if you want to be on this show, you have to be  willing to say stuff like "women don't belong in a professional kitchen"  and "No way are we gonna let a bunch of GIRLS beat us." 

19 hours ago, mlp said:

I'd really like to know the details of how the shopping trip works because that reward and the meals at notable restaurants are the only rewards that appeal to me

Yeah, they seem to be able to breeze through and know exactly what to throw in the cart and how it all adds up. It would take me hours to figure out the best use of that much money, I'd be adding and subtracting endlessly.   I wonder if what they REALLY get is a gift card, and they just "shop"  in order to make the footage for the show.

• Love 6