Type keyword(s) to search

Dorit Kemsley: She's an American, She Was Born in Connecticut!

• Start Topic

19 minutes ago, Snappy said:

Okay, now I get it. Being from the home of the glottal stop, New Brit'n, I definitely have that one. I also do the Mary/merry/marry thing. I just never considered us as having "accents".

We do.  At least to other people we do.  I'm from CT also.  My whole life.  Beacon Falls.  Small town.  I also replace all my T's with D's.  I never noticed it until Editorgrrl mentioned it.  Then I sat here saying all those words and by golly there it is!

• Love 5
14 hours ago, editorgrrl said:

I pronounce merry and marry the same as Mary.

I'm from California and I've got that problem too.  Also mail/male, pail/pale, sell/sale/sail, etc.  I can't even hear how they are supposed to be different and no matter how hard I try I cannot make my mouth make different sounds for them.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Happy Camper said:

She has an awful voice and her manner of speaking sounds phony and affected to me, as if she is trying too hard to sound a certain way. She does not sound genuine at all. 

It fits right in with everything else fake in in Erica's life. All she presents is a false front. I wouldn't trust anything she said because she gives us nothing to base our opinion of her trust worthiness on.

We can see Dorit for who she is. No one, I think even Tom included, gets to look behind Erica's curtain.

• Love 8

She has an awful voice and her manner of speaking sounds phony and affected to me, as if she is trying too hard to sound a certain way. She does not sound genuine at all. 

Yeah, Dorit gets on my nerves as well.

• Love 3
On 3/8/2017 at 2:00 PM, QuiteContraryMoni said:

Fellow Minnesotan checking in. Warm Lefse and butter and cinnamon sugar is delightful! Thank you no on the lutefisk.....

Had no idea what this was so did the google.  MAN that sounds good!  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, yourmomiseasy said:

I'm from California and I've got that problem too.  Also mail/male, pail/pale, sell/sale/sail, etc.  I can't even hear how they are supposed to be different and no matter how hard I try I cannot make my mouth make different sounds for them.

Me too.  Sell/sail or sell/sale I can get and they do sound different.  But sale/sail and mail/male?  They are supposed to sound different??  

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

Me too.  Sell/sail or sell/sale I can get and they do sound different.  But sale/sail and mail/male?  They are supposed to sound different??  

I think so because I used to get made fun of for saying them the same -- especially male/mail.  I don't know.  It is a mystery to me, but I think ail is more round in the mouth and ale is flatter.  It feels weird and false and exaggerated to me to try and say them differently.  Maybe I should go to speech therapy.  Except I don't care that much.  I just tried because I was being teased so much, but then was like "you know what I do know how to say? Fuck off." and then was left alone to talk funny.  I have a hell of a time with IVR systems.  I bet Dorit does too.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, yourmomiseasy said:

I think so because I used to get made fun of for saying them the same -- especially male/mail.  I don't know.  It is a mystery to me, but I think ail is more round in the mouth and ale is flatter.  It feels weird and false and exaggerated to me to try and say them differently.  Maybe I should go to speech therapy.  Except I don't care that much.  I just tried because I was being teased so much, but then was like "you know what I do know how to say? Fuck off." and then was left alone to talk funny.  I have a hell of a time with IVR systems.  I bet Dorit does too.

Well not only is this site a guilty pleasure I am actually learning something.  YAY!  Now I am curious how I am supposed to say these words.  Fuck off indeed!  HA!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Snappy said:

Okay, now I get it. Being from the home of the glottal stop, New Brit'n, I definitely have that one. I also do the Mary/merry/marry thing. I just never considered us as having "accents".

4 hours ago, Sai said:

We do.  At least to other people we do.  I'm from CT also.  My whole life.  Beacon Falls.  Small town.  I also replace all my T's with D's.  I never noticed it until Editorgrrl mentioned it.  Then I sat here saying all those words and by golly there it is!

No one realizes they have an accent until somebody else points it out. So Dorit's not being disingenuous—she doesn't hear what the rest of us do. And each of us hears Dorit differently to boot. Boy George and LVP hear American. I hear Connecticut.*

Edited by editorgrrl
*Which I pronounce "kuh-NED-ih-kit."
  • Love 9
39 minutes ago, FairyDusted said:

Fuck....speech lessons here now I have to add CT! I'm snowed in so I have all this time to sound out all the variations. 

I pronounce the first syllable of lawyer like soy—not law. And syrup is surrup—not seerip. Route is root—not rout/rowt. Caught and cot sound the same, as do maul and mall.

According to the Connecticut Post, Dorit is from Woodbridge, NYC's Countess Luann de Lesseps is from Berlin (rhymes with Merlin), NYC's Kristen Taekmanand is from Farmington, and Atlanta's Kim Zolciak is from Windsor Locks.

Edited by editorgrrl
NJ's Teresa Giudice spent almost a year incarcerated in Danbury.
  • Love 8
48 minutes ago, editorgrrl said:

I pronounce the first syllable of lawyer like soy—not law. And syrup is surrup—not seerip. Route is root—not rout/rowt. Caught and cot sound the same, as do maul and mall.

According to the Connecticut Post, Dorit is from Woodbridge, NYC's Countess Luann de Lesseps is from Berlin (rhymes with Merlin), NYC's Kristen Taekmanand is from Farmington, and Atlanta's Kim Zolciak is from Windsor Locks.

I say words the same way you do. I also say "aunt" vs. "ant". My sister makes me laugh when she says "pull" because it comes out "pool".   I knew about Luann (she does not have a good rep from back in the day) and Theresa, but not the others. If you watched Cold Case, the actress on that was also from Windsor Locks. 

• Love 3

Woodbridge is right next to me.  

1 hour ago, editorgrrl said:

No one realizes they have an accent until somebody else points it out. So Dorit's not being disingenuous—she doesn't hear what the rest of us do. And each of us hears Dorit differently to boot. Boy George and LVP hear American. I hear Connecticut.*

My parents were both from Croatia and English was not the first language I spoke so even Connecticut people tell me I have an accent, lol.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, editorgrrl said:

Dame Brian Moylan of the Vulture Recap Moylans is from the New Britain, Berlin, and Newington area too.

• Love 3
On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 8:55 PM, What In The said:

Accent confession here. I am from TX but don't sound it at all. Moved the the midwest in first grade and stayed for five years. Maybe that's why?

Possibly.  My dad was stationed at Ft. Polk, Louisiana, when I was 2-8 years old.  Since then, I have lived in Washington.  2 years ago, a guy walks in to the store, talks to me briefly and then asks me how long ago did I live in Lousiana.

Facepalm!  This is over 35 years ago that I lived in Louisiana.   My dad was from Mississippi, my mom was FOB from Scotland and somehow, 35 years later, apparently if you're a language expert, you can figure out I lived in the south briefly.

• Love 2
On 3/15/2017 at 5:54 PM, Snappy said:

I say words the same way you do. I also say "aunt" vs. "ant". My sister makes me laugh when she says "pull" because it comes out "pool".   I knew about Luann (she does not have a good rep from back in the day) and Theresa, but not the others. If you watched Cold Case, the actress on that was also from Windsor Locks. 

Same here, a New England girl.  Don't mess with Tom Brady.  Currently we live in the North and the South 50/50 time and vacation frequently in an another area that's filled with people from all over.  I've been told I don't have an accent and I also have been told I have an obvious accent, so there's that!  (Usually when I am excited or have had a couple drinks the accent returns) People are under the impression that I should speak like either a fisherman, Mark Wahlburg or a Kennedy...

On one side of the family we are from England/France via Canada for 2 generations previously.  My Canadian relatives do say 'eh' and add 'you know' to their sentences.  They also say proh-gress not prawh-gress.  It is likely a regional thing as well.  We hail from Quebec City area/Montreal.  It's so different than Toronto, Vancouver, etc.  So there's that...The other side of the family I am second generation full on Italian. All grandparents spoke a foreign language as their native tongue.  I'm all over the place.  I say auhhhnt not ant, soda not pop, but may say ahhhvocahdo or avvv-ocahdo.  I do say lovely or fancy because that's how my father would talk.  He spoke slow and proper and my mother would speak a bit faster and with a tad more emotion, yet like a Yankee.  Short and to the point, very different than an Italian from NY-NJ.  Many Americans are a mash up.  No one detects any accent from my husband who grew up in the same area as me, but his family was more Americana/baseball/apple pie/Chevrolet/WASP, (some of you will remember that commercial) and that makes a huge difference IMO.

Dorit, and those who live in certain parts of Connecticut can sound like New Yorkers, closer to a Rhode Island or MA accent, calmer newscaster accents, or that Mid Atlantic - movie star voice.  She favors certain words, and lives with 2 British guys, she lived in Europe for years. I think the exaggeration comes from her calm and slow talking style.  She does talk a lot, but because she speaks so slowly and sometimes calmly, it accentuates her unique and also somewhat put on accent. Someone mentioned Heather Dubrow having a similar way of speaking, she is from New York State.  Heather dominates with her words while Dorit is not sure of herself.  Dorit likes to ask more questions and that is how she gets to know someone while Erika thinks you become friends through osmosis eventually...if you are worthy.

Erika should talk...speaking of the way we talk...her vocal fry-ish/nasally/Bart Simpson combo can be off-putting. Yes, again Georgia has different accents, but it's obvious the Southern came out on her visit and directly from her mom.  

As a steady working actress for decades, Eileen IMO has the best voice. Calm, cool, collected and not much of an accent. She irritates by rehashing but that's another topic.

Dorit thinks she needs to bring up the lack of panties or pill bags to bring it, they all understand that to a certain degree. She can be gossipy, as you don't bring up the pills and panties more than once if you are not... Rinna goes too far, just like Brandi used to, which makes them exhausting.  I just don't think Dorit is mean spirited and deserved Erika's wrath.

Edited by IKnowRight
  • Love 8

Here's a video of Dorit Lemel from 2011: 

Dorit's voice is more affected than accented. See also: Katharine Hepburn (from Hartford, Connecticut), Vincent Price (St. Louis, Missouri), Julia Child (Pasadena, California), or Tim Gunn (Washington, DC).

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, editorgrrl said:

Here's a video of Dorit Lemel from 2011: 

Dorit's voice is more affected than accented. See also: Katharine Hepburn (from Hartford, Connecticut), Vincent Price (St. Louis, Missouri), Julia Child (Pasadena, California), or Tim Gunn (Washington, DC).

Holy cow!   I've never paid much attention, but I had no clue Julia Child was an American!  Was she born here?  Did she live elsewhere?

Dorit sounds similar to how she sounds now, but without the "darlings" and PK influence!

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, IKnowRight said:

Holy cow!   I've never paid much attention, but I had no clue Julia Child was an American!  Was she born here?  Did she live elsewhere?

Julia Child was born and raised in California, went to college in Northampton, Massachusetts, lived in New York City and Washington, DC, then moved to Paris at age 36. 

That's roughly the same age Dorit met PK.

• Love 6

Canadian here -- don't say "eh" or "you know" unless I have to. Oot and aboot -- never (that's an East Coast thing). Do say "wader" vs. "watter", and I do pronounce the Ts in words like gutter, butter etc. I think my accent is pretty typical. I also say voz not vase, although many people here say "vays", which sounds weird to me. And, "ant" not "ohnt" because "ohnt", to my ear, sounds affected.  If I am in the US, I will occasionally get busted on a "ou" sound though -- there is something different about the way I say "out" and "about" -- we hit the "ou" sound a little harder, but do not turn it into a "oo" sound, because that is just messed up! ;)

The words sale and sail do not and should not sound different -- whale, wail; mail, male; bail, bale, etc. All those words sound exactly the same coz the are homonyms.

I find the accents in old movie so odd -- they sound unnatural and put on. I always thought that was because the studios wanted them to sound "fancy". Don't know if that is correct.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, zoeysmom said:

I wonder if her hair is naturally curly or she had a perm.  Her face looks pretty much the same.

Looks like the English woman had her nose done.??

• Love 7

Peay Koiayy is how Dorit pronounces her goddamn sweaty stubby husband's name. SHE SOUNDS LIKE GODDAMN MY FAIR LADY! They should have her say "The rain in Spain..."

It's a goddamn annoying ass AFFECTATION, meaning, she's making that shit up!

The purpose? She thinks her shit don't stink and wants look down at the dirt and see everyone wrestling around. She was so incredibly cloying and gleeful about that "xanax smoothie" shit. All "Oh! This is how I can start shit on the show, get noticed and align myself further up LVP's ass by attacking her enemy!" She's so OBVIOUS. She called out the panties to make herself seem better. Dorit tries to manipulate others into drawing her own conclusions about the shit she implies. 

The cocaine shit makes me so happy, even though I know that wacky Rinna probably just started singing an Erika Jayne song and everyone at the table slowly excused themselves. 

Edited by Sowkkat
  • Love 4

All "Oh! This is how I can start shot on the show, get noticed and align myself further up LVP's ass by attacking her enemy!"

Wouldn't she try to mangle the British pronunciation of shite instead of shit?

• Love 3

Maybe it's just me, but there were moments during the dinner from hell ("You have no idea what I go through at night, but I'm not looking for your sympathy!") where Dorit reminded me of the late Brittany Murphy. I don't particularly care for Dorit, but I felt bad for her when the mean girls had a go at her. I was hoping she'd drop the niceness and tell them all to go fuck themselves.

• Love 8

I can't get on board with the idea that there was a gang up against Dorit because she was the one who brought Lisa and Eileen into it. Her first "apology" on the junk boat was, "I'm sorry if these girls made it seem like it was a bigger deal than it was -" and that's when Eileen/Lisa jumped in, and I don't blame them. Dorit has a very strange relationship with self-responsibility. She says things, and then when she gets called out on it, claims she was just making a joke. She claims she gifted the panties to Erika to provide levity to the "issue," but there was no issue until she made it one! If she hadn't been talking about the panties, there would be no life in it. She claims she thought it was all funny, but then why was she saying, "If you're a lady, and you're wearing a short dress, isn't it Class 101 to cross your legs?" Dorit talks out of both sides of her mouth, she was the one who brought this up to all the different cast members, and to then throw it off on Eileen and Rinna was pure BS. She should not be surprised they had something to say about it.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, PhilMarlowe2 said:

I can't get on board with the idea that there was a gang up against Dorit because she was the one who brought Lisa and Eileen into it. Her first "apology" on the junk boat was, "I'm sorry if these girls made it seem like it was a bigger deal than it was -" and that's when Eileen/Lisa jumped in, and I don't blame them. Dorit has a very strange relationship with self-responsibility. She says things, and then when she gets called out on it, claims she was just making a joke. She claims she gifted the panties to Erika to provide levity to the "issue," but there was no issue until she made it one! If she hadn't been talking about the panties, there would be no life in it. She claims she thought it was all funny, but then why was she saying, "If you're a lady, and you're wearing a short dress, isn't it Class 101 to cross your legs?" Dorit talks out of both sides of her mouth, she was the one who brought this up to all the different cast members, and to then throw it off on Eileen and Rinna was pure BS. She should not be surprised they had something to say about it.

Apparently, according to Ericka's Snapchat, the subject of panties was ripe that night.  There is a scene with them tossing around Kyle's panties.

Kyle said, "bad idea."  Rinna and Eileen were talking Snatchchat and wanting to be there. SO yeah Eileen and RInna did make it a bigger deal after Erika shut it down because they wanted to exonerate themselves.  It is on film and if for once Eileen would just let stuff go it would not be an issue.

I thought Dorit was a little judgmental and Eileen and Rinna could have shut her down instead of declaring they wanted to be there.

Be clear Dorit brought it up to Kyle and then to Eileen and Rinna.  Following the bringing it up logic Erika brought it up to her Glam Squad.   It was a topic. 

• Love 4

She says things, and then when she gets called out on it, claims she was just making a joke. She claims she gifted the panties to Erika to provide levity to the "issue," but there was no issue until she made it one! If she hadn't been talking about the panties, there would be no life in it. She claims she thought it was all funny, but then why was she saying, "If you're a lady, and you're wearing a short dress, isn't it Class 101 to cross your legs?" Dorit talks out of both sides of her mouth, she was the one who brought this up to all the different cast members, and to then throw it off on Eileen and Rinna was pure BS. She should not be surprised they had something to say about it.

She is a passive-aggressive asshole, if nothing else...

I thought ladies didn't cross their legs, only their ankles, in old fashioned proper etiquette.

Ladies also keep their legs closed to married men as well ;)

• Love 5
4 hours ago, PhilMarlowe2 said:

Eileen and Rinna had both inserted themselves into the back and forth between Erika and Dorit way before Dorit referenced their contributions to the D/E dynamic.

Eileen was making declarative assertions as fact about events for which she hadn't even been present: "you're saying that she was acting that way because of pills!" 

Rinna was literally cursing at Dorit in moments. 

As far as self-responsibility and talking out of both sides of their mouth, Erika:

started using a snide sing-song when Dorit said she would apologize to anyone whom she'd inadvertently hurt. Which is a lot like calling someone a bitch and then using their negative reaction as proof of the statement's veracity. No wonder Dorit didn't offer an apology after being mocked.

prior to THAT, had smugly sneered, "you're getting upset; obviously I touched a nerve" when Dorit responded with incredulity at the claim that she was desperate for Erika's friendship and attention. 

Okaaaay ... so Dorit is simultaneously dying to be cuddle buddies with Erika, maliciously intent on defaming her as whore, owes Erika an apology and mea culpa even though it will be sneered at and insufficient per Erika's later admission, and ALSO owes Tom a mea culpa in conjunction with her husband about matters to which he's oblivious because of "stuff" that might get back to mysterious third parties? 

That doesn't even take into account when Dorit later asked Rinna (who was screaming at her in the restaurant. Again, without invitation), "if she tells me it's resolved, what am I supposed to do abou that?" And Erika screams, "stop talking about it!" Dorit hadn't broached the subject since the day she gifted Erika the underwear. She had stopped talking about it.

If consistency is some sort moral responsibility, why isn't it for Erika and Eileen ("that's an interesting choice because it almost looks like you're doing it on purpose"), especially when they start screaming at LVP and Kyle to refrain from defending Dorit after tag teaming her with Rinna long prior to Dorit making the "I'm sorry" remark?

• Love 14
12 hours ago, AndySmith said:

She is a passive-aggressive asshole, if nothing else...

Ladies also keep their legs closed to married men as well ;)

You better tell them Andy!!!??

• Love 2
On 3/25/2017 at 4:42 PM, rmcrae said:

Maybe it's just me, but there were moments during the dinner from hell ("You have no idea what I go through at night, but I'm not looking for your sympathy!") where Dorit reminded me of the late Brittany Murphy. I don't particularly care for Dorit, but I felt bad for her when the mean girls had a go at her. I was hoping she'd drop the niceness and tell them all to go fuck themselves.

I agree. It was way, way over the top.

• Love 4

After seeing the preview for this week's episode, I have to salute Dorit for her very colorful (though insulting) line: "Lisa, if I can smell your breath you're too close!"

Which is more withering - Lisa's breath or that remark?!

• Love 5

In a private FB group I'm in someone knew Dorit before she moved to Italy & loaned her jewelry for a photo shoot. Homegirl ran off to Europe with the jewelry & deliberately ignored the person about $6k worth. Her parents owned a drugstore/beauty supply & she was known to be a party girl who hooked up with rich men to move up. Which whatever you do you but she tries to come off like a fabulous cultured woman when she's just the typical grasping scammer. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, diva2themax said:

In a private FB group I'm in someone knew Dorit before she moved to Italy & loaned her jewelry for a photo shoot. Homegirl ran off to Europe with the jewelry & deliberately ignored the person about $6k worth. Her parents owned a drugstore/beauty supply & she was known to be a party girl who hooked up with rich men to move up. Which whatever you do you but she tries to come off like a fabulous cultured woman when she's just the typical grasping scammer. 

and people never lie on the internet! Maybe there is something here but just some person/people claiming something online doesn't mean diddly squat to me....show me the receipts :)

• Love 10
21 hours ago, Vicky8675309 said:

and people never lie on the internet! Maybe there is something here but just some person/people claiming something online doesn't mean diddly squat to me....show me the receipts :)

I don't need to show the receipts & I won't lol. Believe it or not I don't care. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, diva2themax said:

I don't need to show the receipts & I won't lol. Believe it or not I don't care. 

I don't think the poster, Vicky8675309, meant you needed to prove it, she meant the person on the other site claiming she knew Dorit needs to prove it. LOL

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

I don't think the poster, Vicky8675309, meant you needed to prove it, she meant the person on the other site claiming she knew Dorit needs to prove it. LOL

Considering I posted it here why would the other person have to prove anything here? It's a private group with people that I trust & are in the fashion industry. The person also is from Dorit's hometown. They're credible.  It's really not that interesting. She stole jewelry before she left the country & screwed some people over. This was before social media I guarantee Dorit would have been shamed publicly if this happened more recently. 

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, diva2themax said:

Considering I posted it here why would the other person have to prove anything here? It's a private group with people that I trust & are in the fashion industry. The person also is from Dorit's hometown. They're credible.  It's really not that interesting. She stole jewelry before she left the country & screwed some people over. This was before social media I guarantee Dorit would have been shamed publicly if this happened more recently. 

You can believe whatever you wish. I have no problem with people having differing opinions however stating that she is a thief should be, imo, backed up with evidence like a police report and at least use the word "allegedly". I take unsubstantiated claims (stuff presented as fact rather than opinions) to be "spin" imo. I'm not a lawyer but some of this sounds slanderous (or is it libelous) imo. 

....hometown, lol, whatever

• Love 10
30 minutes ago, diva2themax said:

Oh trust me time and tide means very little when it comes to shaming a RH.  People have been known to go back 60 years to get dirt on the unborn RH.

It is against policy on this site to ask someone prove something but not a requirement that people believe an allegation or dispute an assertion.  Social media and the press have been around a long time.  Dorit is only 40 years old.  Police department records have also been around a long time and their records are pretty much forever.  I am thinking $6,000.00 is a significant amount of jewelry for someone to have stolen. 

• Love 11