Type keyword(s) to search

Dorit Kemsley: She's an American, She Was Born in Connecticut!

• Start Topic

On 1/7/2017 at 5:04 AM, Diane Mars said:

Regarding Boy George, isn't he there just because of the filming of the Celebrity Apprentice ? The timing is correct, so I guess that's the reason why he's there "now"

My understanding is that Boy George has lived in the BH area for a few years. I posted an article a few weeks ago about a reality TV show he had filmed with Dorit and Paul that was suppose to center around his new life leaving London and moving to BH. That was filmed in 2015, and although they hyped it big at the time, apparently it never made it to the air. Seems like these people have been trying to get a reality show gig for a few years. I also read that Paul was once on the Apprentice as a judge in the Boardroom. Back before he lost all of this money a few years ago. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Almost 3000 said:

No because then Kyle wouldn't be able to film because they were on the same season.

I think they filmed Celebrity Apprentice last Feb March-here is a photo from March of last year: 

Kyle, Dorit and Boy George-8 weeks ago: 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Diane Mars said:

Regarding Boy George, isn't he there just because of the filming of the Celebrity Apprentice ? The timing is correct, so I guess that's the reason why he's there "now"

Exactly! Kathryn Edwards was on last season because of American Crime Story: The People vs. OJ Simpson. Boy George is on this season because of Celebrity Apprentice.

• Love 4

Oh OK, I get what you guys are saying. I thought the OP meant Boy George was in town because he doing Apprentice but was confused because then Kyle wouldn't be filming HW because she would also be on Apprentice. But what posters meant was BG is on HW because he is here and on a current US show so his profile is higher than usual. Got it.

That pix of BG from Kyle's Instagram makes him look really young and tight. Bet he likes it.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Vicky8675309 said:

I'm starting to like Dorit.

She has an endearing side to her and a vulnerability that makes her likable.  I always kind of feel for her because even when she is trying to pay a compliment or show interest in someone else, she cant get out of her own way, there is always someone trying to pop her balloon.

• Love 10

lutefisk suppers, lefse, and old people's tales of the fjords were commonplace,

My grandmother was from "Little Norway" MN. Thanks to the childhood trauma of lutefisk, I have a coffee mug with the word lutefisk on it and a big red "No" stamp over it. I do still eat lefse at Christmas.

• Love 3

Well, Dorit and PK came thru for Boy George on Celebrity Apprentice by donating $80,000 to him in a fundraising challenge and there was the bonus of Dorit not talking.  PK looked like he had just given the car an oil change and cleaned the garage in his white t-shirt, though.  Greasy little troll.

• Love 4
On 1/4/2017 at 5:45 PM, booboopbedoo said:

Born and raised a Canuck and do not say "eh" at the end of a sentance

0f239ae41ef792c953442ed7724f43a7.jpg

Me too and I pronounce about "a-bowt" ( rhymes with doubt, not "a-boot". Just like every other Canadian I know. 

I really don't mind when people make fun of us though. After all we do live in igloos and eat bacon all the time. 

And then there is hockey.

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, booboopbedoo said:

Igloos and have Pet Polar bears and ride Mooses to work!

Wanna see my Beaver??

beaver.jpg

Why does the phrase "Wanna see my beaver??" make me think Erika might be Canadian....

• Love 7

Just noticed this in Dorit's tag line. Don't people speak "in" a language but "with" an accent? I don't think I have ever heard "she speaks in an Italian accent," but could be wrong. Either way, Dorit seems dim and pretentious to me  But pretty girl with big brown eyes.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, AndySmith said:

It's almost like she knew people would be laughing/rolling their eyes/making fun of her ridiculous accent and tried to head us all off at the pass.

They film their tag lines last, so Dorit already knew that some of her fellow HWs were making fun of her odd accent. LOL

• Love 3
6 hours ago, WireWrap said:

They film their tag lines last, so Dorit already knew that some of her fellow HWs were making fun of her odd accent. LOL

My guess is that she has heard this long before she joined the show. Probably every time she goes to Conneticut. Have the other gals made fun of her accent? I've read commentators doing it all over the media, but don't remember the HW's mocking her. They should, and if they haven't, they are missing out. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, motorcitymom65 said:

My guess is that she has heard this long before she joined the show. Probably every time she goes to Conneticut. Have the other gals made fun of her accent? I've read commentators doing it all over the media, but don't remember the HW's mocking her. They should, and if they haven't, they are missing out. 

We saw/heard Erika call Dorit out for having an accent other than a Connecticut accent, which is laughable because Erika was born/raised in Atl. and doesn't sound "southern" at all. LOL

• Love 2

I think Dorit is ridiculous, and her husband is gross.

Dorit lost me when she said she only wants to be around interesting people.  I could go on and on about that one, but the most obvious objection for me is that she doesn't bring much to the table herself in that area.  And her husband judging Lisa and Eileen was stupid and arrogant.

I'm no braniac nor am I interesting, but according to Merriam Webster, a word that seems to suit them both is vacuous.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, WireWrap said:

We saw/heard Erika call Dorit out for having an accent other than a Connecticut accent, which is laughable because Erika was born/raised in Atl. and doesn't sound "southern" at all. LOL

I think she called her out for saying that Americans take themselves too seriously, unlike the Brits. 

Maybe someone has made fun of her in their TH's, but she wouldn't have seen them at the time she filmed her tag line. Folks on this forum, Vulture, and TT have all made fun of her accent. No way she has gone through her life and no one mentioned it to her. She thinks it makes her special or something, which I think is why it is her tagline. 

• Love 4

I think she called her out for saying that Americans take themselves too seriously, unlike the Brits. 

Yeah, it wasn't about the accent, it was about Crab Mayonnaise acting like she wasn't American, and Erika (rightly) saying "Bitch, please".

• Love 5

My point was, I don't think she was correct in saying "you can speak in any accent you want."  I'm thinking the correct usage is "WITH any accent you want." But then again, I'm looking for things to nitpick about her!

• Love 3
10 hours ago, AndySmith said:

Yeah, it wasn't about the accent, it was about Crab Mayonnaise acting like she wasn't American, and Erika (rightly) saying "Bitch, please".

When did she act like she wasn't American? She actually said during that remark that she was speaking "as an American."

• Love 8

Maybe I remembered wrong, though I do have to chuckle at seeing the phrase "speaking "as an American" associated with Dorit, since no American I know speaks quite like that.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, lunastartron said:

When did she act like she wasn't American? She actually said during that remark that she was speaking "as an American."

Erika did the same thing to Dorit when she said, "I think women in their forties. . . . .," Erika tends to cut off and go for the cheap shot.  ANy person can express their views on what they think of women in their forties.  What always amazes me is when they act like Dorit is out of her mind when she suggests she is being put in the hot seat.  Collectively Erika, Eileen and Rinna do challenge her.

• Love 15
On 1/5/2017 at 0:59 PM, Cranky One said:

I wonder if it's because Spanish is his native language? Maybe his parents spoke Spanish at home. My mother-in-law is French Canadian and has been in the U.S for at least 50 years and very rarely speaks French and she still speaks with an accent.

Dorit on the other hand....

My two teenage nieces were both born and raised in Madrid, Spain for the first 10 years and 12 years of their lives.  They now live in Texas and neither of them have an accent at all.  My sister had a fairly strong Texas accent when she moved to Madrid to marry her (loser) husband almost 30 years ago.  She is now back in Texas and she has a slight Texas accent but not strong.  Her husband still does NOT know English even though his wife and two teenage daughters are completely fluent in both languages!  When they lived in Spain my sister would only speak to the girls in English and her husband, obviously, only spoke Spanish to them.  They all have lived in the U.S. now for over 5 years and my sister now speaks Spanish to the girls a lot, not all the time.  BIL is surounded by English speaking people and will not even try to speak English!!!  My family can speak Spanish but only my dad will carry on a conversation with him in Spanish because he likes to practice his Spanish.  I can't believe it is possible to be around another language for nearly 30 years and not learn that language!!! Of course, my BIL is lazy so that might have everything to do with it. Ugh

A side note:  My sister was an exchange student in Australia for a year when we were in HS and she came back sounding like an Aussie! My brother went to Denmark for a year and did not come back with a Danish accent. Go figure!

• Love 2

I give Dorit credit in a few areas.  She does seem like a legitimately good and loving mother.  Watching her with the kids is very endearing.  

Jury is still out in all other respects.  Takes me through Season 2 to get a full read.

• Love 1

Yeah, don't buy it.  The fake accent has nothing to do with PK.  His accent is blue collar/working class, and hers struggles to be posh. 

The funny thing is, if you watch Ladies of London, quite a few of the women on that show are Americans who also married to British men and are living in the UK, and they still have their American accents.

• Love 3

I was working my way through some recent Watch What Happens Live episodes and during the one with Kate Upton and Ricky Martin they played a game where Kate gave clues about musicians and Ricky had to guess them.  Kate's clue for Boy George was "he lives with Dorit."  I nearly fell off the couch laughing.

• Love 1
On 2/23/2017 at 1:31 PM, AndySmith said:

The funny thing is, if you watch Ladies of London, quite a few of the women on that show are Americans who also married to British men and are living in the UK, and they still have their American accents.

I think the LOL American women have picked up a bit of a Brit speaking pattern though, where they emphasize different words within the sentence structure that gives them a bit of an affectation - somewhat similar to what I think Dorit has going on.  I also think her accent comes from not having native English speakers as parents.

• Love 3

I think the LOL have picked up a few word here and there, but for the most part, they sound unmistakably American more than anything. And not "American trying to sound British" like Dorit or Madonna during her Madge phase.

I also think her accent comes from not having native English speakers as parents.

Then she would have had an Israeli accent. And I'm not sure how much of it can be "blamed" on the parents. I am not from an English speaking country and didn't grow up in one either. Neither of my parents are native English speakers either. And yet, I went to an American curriculum private school where all the faculty were Americans and 1/3 of the student body were American. Me and almost all of my classmates (depending on when they joined the school) all speak English with American accents. So Dorit's accent should be American as she was growing up in American (unless the school and town in Connecticut were all non-Americans, her accent really makes no sense whatsoever to me.

• Love 3

I feel about Dorit the way I do Gretchen on RHOC. They're both sort of entertaining in a harmlessly clueless, self-absorbed way.

And they'd be so much easier to watch if their significant others weren't on-screen. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, AndySmith said:

I think the LOL have picked up a few word here and there, but for the most part, they sound unmistakably American more than anything. And not "American trying to sound British" like Dorit or Madonna during her Madge phase.

Then she would have had an Israeli accent. And I'm not sure how much of it can be "blamed" on the parents. I am not from an English speaking country and didn't grow up in one either. Neither of my parents are native English speakers either. And yet, I went to an American curriculum private school where all the faculty were Americans and 1/3 of the student body were American. Me and almost all of my classmates (depending on when they joined the school) all speak English with American accents. So Dorit's accent should be American as she was growing up in American (unless the school and town in Connecticut were all non-Americans, her accent really makes no sense whatsoever to me.

There's a large social aspect of accent acquisition. My parents aren't native English speakers either. I grew up in western Pennsylvania, which has a very distinct accent. I don't have the accent because I made a very conscious choice as a kid to go with a more mid-atlantic accent. I imagine that Dorit was doing some really garbled mimicry and it stuck.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accent_(sociolinguistics)?wprov=sfla1

Although, nothing compares to Rosie Pope's accent on Pregnant in Heels. Viewers kept wondering if she had a speech impediment or hearing loss. She swore up and down that she didn't. 

• Love 2

There's a large social aspect of accent acquisition. My parents aren't native English speakers either. I grew up in western Pennsylvania, which has a very distinct accent. I don't have the accent because I made a very conscious choice as a kid to go with a more mid-atlantic accent. I imagine that Dorit was doing some really garbled mimicry and it stuck.

Yeah but it's one thing to adopt a different accent from the country you are in, versus an accent from another country altogether. She might not have ended with a Connecticut accent, but she should have had some type of American accent, at least.

Dorit grew up in the US, so that still doesn't explain where the British-wannabe accent comes from.

• Love 3