Type keyword(s) to search

The Fate of the Furious (2017)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

Now that Dom and Letty are on their honeymoon and Brian and Mia have retired from the game—and the rest of the crew has been exonerated—the globetrotting team has found a semblance of a normal life. But when a mysterious woman (Charlize Theron) seduces Dom into the world of crime he can’t seem to escape and a betrayal of those closest to him, they will face trials that will test them as never before.

Edited by BetterButter
11 hours ago, Trini said:

Wait -- there another F&F movie coming out? I know they're always making sequels, but I hadn't heard any thing about this at all.

I'd heard a rumor that the franchise had managed to land Helen Mirren, which seems to have panned out since she's listed among the cast on IMDB. My prediction is that

she'll be playing Jason Statham's mom, and thus a bad guy

but I don't have any real information other than she's in it.

10 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I'd heard a rumor that the franchise had managed to land Helen Mirren, which seems to have panned out since she's listed among the cast on IMDB. My prediction is that

Reveal hidden contents

she'll be playing Jason Statham's mom, and thus a bad guy

but I don't have any real information other than she's in it.

I think your prediction is spot on. Apparently, Helen Mirren had been talking about wanting to do an F&F movie, so I'm glad they were able to get her. 

With them adding Charlize Theron for this one, I was hoping the title would be "The Fast and Furiosa"

Edited by Princess Sparkle
Forgot the last "a"!
  • Love 5
20 hours ago, Trini said:

Wait -- there another F&F movie coming out? I know they're always making sequels, but I hadn't heard any thing about this at all.

Right? I saw the thread title, and thought it would be some period film. I'm curious if they'll get to 10 films in the franchise, and what said titles of 9 & 10 will be.  

Hmm... knew nothing about this going in besides the cast additions, so this is an odd direction.  Dom is actually teaming up with Charlize Theron's character for some reason?  Turn on Letty and the rest of the "family", huh?  I'm guessing there will be some kind of twist.  LIke Theron's character has something major over him.  I just can't see them making him a flat-out bad guy.

Ha!  And, of course, it leads to them spring Deckard out of prison to help.  Sure, he was the man who killed Han and terrorized them in the last film, but if your team looses a Vin Diesel, you need to fill him in with a Jason Statham!

Of course, I'll be seeing it.  If nothing else, to see what impossible, incredible feat Hobbs will do.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 4
On 12/10/2016 at 11:15 AM, ribboninthesky1 said:

Right? I saw the thread title, and thought it would be some period film. I'm curious if they'll get to 10 films in the franchise, and what said titles of 9 & 10 will be.  

They announced about a year ago that the new film would be the first of a trilogy that would supposedly conclude the series.  No word on future titles, though.

PjEbVED.png

I haven't seen one of these films since Tokyo Drift but I love the trailers.  Usually I hate it when a trailer tells the whole story but with these I feel like a 3 minute highlight reel is all I need.

Although, I could talk about how much I love Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson all day.  (IMDb trivia for this includes that Johnson & Vin Diesel apparently did not get along at all, up to Rock posting on Instagram to call out Diesel's terrible on-set behaviour.  DRAMA!  Also, that's so off-brand for him that Diesel must have been a real shit.)

• Love 1

Oh yeah, I read elsewhere they had beef.  I vaguely recall rumors about Diesel not being that easy to work with (allegedly, he and Paul Walker didn't get along at first, either).  I figure there's a reason he's not done much beyond this franchise in recent years.  He could have had a career like The Rock.  Then again, I think Dwayne has a charisma that Vin doesn't.  

Statham vs Johnson? Why do I still believe that Statham would win? I'd like to see them in a film together outside of this franchise. 

They announced about a year ago that the new film would be the first of a trilogy that would supposedly conclude the series.  No word on future titles, though.

Ah, thanks.  2021 will mark twenty years! Ay!

Edited by ribboninthesky1
7 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

Statham vs Johnson? Why do I still believe that Statham would win? I'd like to see them in a film together outside of this franchise. 

After Melissa McCarthy's cameo in Central Intelligence I so want to see her also be a Spy in that universe  and bring Jason Statham as they cross over. Sort of like Aliens and Predator

• Love 2

I like this franchise because the movies don't pretend to be more than they are. Fast cars, pretty people, shit blows up. And also because the cast is multiracial and that's not a plot point. I'll see this for sure.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Raja said:

After Melissa McCarthy's cameo in Central Intelligence I so want to see her also be a Spy in that universe  and bring Jason Statham as they cross over. Sort of like Aliens and Predator

And if Statham can finally get to that face/off machine, I'm going to demand a cameo from Nicolas Cage. Actually, I'm a little shocked Nicolas Cage hasn't shown up yet. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

What could anyone possibly hang over him to get him to betray Letty and the others? Mia's safety?

Mia/Brian and his niece/nephew would be the only thing but, even that seems flimsy since Dom wouldn't betray Letty like that. 

On 12/12/2016 at 10:39 AM, ribboninthesky1 said:

Ah, thanks.  2021 will mark twenty years! Ay!

I still remember who I saw the first movie with, and how we went to go race with his buddies after.

On 12/12/2016 at 5:44 PM, Chaos Theory said:

This is my franchise.  I am so in.  No don't turn on me Vin Diesel.  Although you are hot as a bad guy to so......all good.  

On 12/12/2016 at 6:25 PM, Empress1 said:

I like this franchise because the movies don't pretend to be more than they are. Fast cars, pretty people, shit blows up. And also because the cast is multiracial and that's not a plot point. I'll see this for sure.

This. I love this franchise because it's just mindless entertainment 120 minutes at a time.

• Love 1

Was this movie filmed alongside the previous one? I watched the trailer because I don't follow this series and I was surprised there was another movie after the last Paul Walker one. And in the trailer there was a scene where they're in a fancy warehouse full of expensive cars and that tank-like snowmobile they go bombing around in later. I also seem to recall the shot of the sub coming up through the ice. But I saw that footage a long time ago and I have no idea how.

I keep seeing trailers for this, and the more of them I see, the less I want to see the movie. I've been with this franchise since the beginning. I enjoy seeing fast cars driven well by pretty people. Now it all seems, I don't know, a little too puffed up? I mean, they used to be about street racing. Now they're like some kind of Mission Impossible hybrid? I want to watch pretty people drive fast cars well. I don't want to have to worry that they'll becoming the kind of movies to very seriously mention the seemingly ubiquitous 'dark web' with stern, earnest expressions. (Note that I don't know if the dark web is mentioned, but I've come to associate those words with movies/shows that are trying too hard and/or are just not very good.)

• Love 1
On 2/27/2017 at 11:24 AM, afterbite said:

I keep seeing trailers for this, and the more of them I see, the less I want to see the movie. I've been with this franchise since the beginning. I enjoy seeing fast cars driven well by pretty people. Now it all seems, I don't know, a little too puffed up? I mean, they used to be about street racing. Now they're like some kind of Mission Impossible hybrid? 

As I recall, the last Fast and the Furious movie had the same plot device--an incredibly powerful mass surveillance program--as Jason Bourne (Deep Dream), Spectre (Nine Eyes), and even Captain America Winter Soldier (a data-mining algorithm). In general, though, the franchise seems to have shifted to a "Mission Impossible with more cars" vibe. 

(edited)
On 2/27/2017 at 11:24 AM, afterbite said:

I keep seeing trailers for this, and the more of them I see, the less I want to see the movie. I've been with this franchise since the beginning. I enjoy seeing fast cars driven well by pretty people. Now it all seems, I don't know, a little too puffed up? I mean, they used to be about street racing. Now they're like some kind of Mission Impossible hybrid? I want to watch pretty people drive fast cars well. I don't want to have to worry that they'll becoming the kind of movies to very seriously mention the seemingly ubiquitous 'dark web' with stern, earnest expressions. (Note that I don't know if the dark web is mentioned, but I've come to associate those words with movies/shows that are trying too hard and/or are just not very good.)

It's been pretty must this model since Fast Five.  We are on number 8 now.   Then again the franchise started as an undercover sting so you can make a point that it was always kinda making its way to this.  This is just a much much bigger budget.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

That three-minute trailer - I've seen the whole movie, save for Dom's motivation for going rogue.  Which I assume is some kind of blackmail, either on him or someone in the family.  Production budget must have been astronomical, though, even by today's standards. 

On 3/9/2017 at 1:42 PM, ribboninthesky1 said:

That three-minute trailer - I've seen the whole movie, save for Dom's motivation for going rogue.  Which I assume is some kind of blackmail, either on him or someone in the family.  Production budget must have been astronomical, though, even by today's standards. 

I think in one trailer there's a clip of Dom looking at a photo of Brian&Mia. I was guessing that they were threatened or being held hostage.

The movie seems like it will have a lot more Dwayne Johnson than previous movies. I guess his airtime went up to fill in for loss of Brian.

Edited by Artsda

As unlikely as Dom turning on his wife and closest friends is (rather than just mounting a big rescue operation if there are hostages), everyone being willing to work with the guy who burned Han to death and firebombed Brian & Mia's home is even tougher to swallow.

• Love 4

Absolutely, but logic has never been a strength of the this franchise.  

20 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'll watch it when it comes to Netflix. Although,  given my love of The Rock, Jason Statham  and Michelle Rodriquez. I kind of wouldn't be opposed to getting rid of Dom (I know, never going to happen).

Seconded.  I've just never been that deep into the "we're family" stuff from Dom, as I suppose he's the glue.  But really, he doesn't need to be around for that to remain true.  It's been awhile, but I don't recall missing him in the 2nd film. 

5 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

As unlikely as Dom turning on his wife and closest friends is (rather than just mounting a big rescue operation if there are hostages), everyone being willing to work with the guy who burned Han to death and firebombed Brian & Mia's home is even tougher to swallow.

I guess they have to for the movie but if he ends up joining the team at the end of all of this, I call bullshit.  But this series was never big on logic.

So, I've glanced at a few reviews (which so far, are say that it's basically like the other films past Fast Five: dumb, but fun), and as I suspected, 

Spoiler

Helen Mirren will be playing Mama Shaw!  It sounds like it's basically a glorified cameo, so I guess she is being set-up for future installments.  But I am so looking forward to Helen Mirren as a potential big baddie!  I can even see Deckard take a submissive role opposite of her, despite the whole Jason Statham thing.

And it sounds like Charlize Theron fits right in, which makes me happy.  No one can chew scenery like she can (see: the Snow White and the Huntsman franchise.)

• Love 1
10 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

So, I've glanced at a few reviews (which so far, are say that it's basically like the other films past Fast Five: dumb, but fun), and as I suspected, 

Hide contents

Helen Mirren will be playing Mama Shaw!  It sounds like it's basically a glorified cameo, so I guess she is being set-up for future installments.  But I am so looking forward to Helen Mirren as a potential big baddie!  I can even see Deckard take a submissive role opposite of her, despite the whole Jason Statham thing.

And it sounds like Charlize Theron fits right in, which makes me happy.  No one can chew scenery like she can (see: the Snow White and the Huntsman franchise.)

If all this holds true for this movie and future installments, I am going to start watching this franchise again.