Type keyword(s) to search

The Fate of the Furious (2017)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I'm getting old because I completely forgot how much Elena was in the franchise after Brazil. Because I forgot I was like Dom doing all this for her? Really? Even though I now remember her role and theorize Dom loved her (probably still does) and "owes" her (she was cool with him leaving to look for Letty), I think the better angle would've been take Mia and the kid(s?). Cipher didn't get Brian because he died trying to protect them. This setup is more plausible to me for why Dom would go rogue. Plus, unless they plan on having someone else play Brian but with Paul's face in the future, it doesn't work that he and Mia will never be seen or heard from again. Plus, it made naming the kid Brian weird. Dude's still alive in the movie. 

I also think Dom could've put that tracking device in his cross then left the watch with a note for Letty to find later explaining. Good writers could've worked with that storyline and gotten the same movie. 

Still find Roman annoying as hell. Letty still kickass. I agree she should've stepped up more as a leader. Didn't miss Brian or Mia AT ALL!! My God is Hobbs is huge!! I would've been one of those soccer moms. Nice Ramsey had more to do. Cipher was fine but didn't get to do anything actiony so that was disappointing. Lil Nobody is pretty and I'm cool with being in the franchise. I've loved Kurt Russel since Overboard. Loved Dom even though he's pretty one note. Who doesn't love Helen Mirren? Shaw can stick around because he and Hobbs are good together. They have to fix the Han issue though. Am I missing somebody?

The action was good. The sub sequence being the best followed by the prison fight. Which f Nobody for having all those guard get hurt and die just to get Shaw and Hobbs out. Great sequence but man. 

3.5 stars out of 5 because I think the story needed work for reasons already mentioned and some of those lines were not good. 

Edited by nicepebbles
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, nicepebbles said:

I

Still find Roman annoying as hell. Letty still kickass. I agree she should've stepped up more as a leader. Didn't miss Brian or Mia AT ALL!! My God is Hobbs is huge!! I would've been one of those soccer moms. Nice Ramsey had more to do. Cipher was fine but didn't get to do anything actiony so that was disappointing. Lil Nobody is pretty and I'm cool with being in the franchise. I've loved Kurt Russel since Overboard. Loved Dom even though he's pretty one note. Who doesn't love Helen Mirren? Shaw can stick around because he and Hobbs are good together. They have to fix the Han issue though. Am I missing somebody?

how to fix the Han issue? 

1. He actually did just die in an auto accident, Shaw was just the opportunist to take advantage of his death.

2. My fan fiction. Since the baby scene reminded me of Chow Yun-Fat in Hard Boiled bring him into the franchise as a counterpart to Mr Nobody, having Han as an operative thought dead and building a Han team to mirror Dom's team

On 4/15/2017 at 9:43 AM, mojoween said:

And at the end, at the barbecue?  The table was full of soft drinks, not a Corona in sight.

They had Bud apparently. Media articles are theorizing that the change-up is due to the lack of family feel for the ending scene.  However, the studio isn't commenting on why the change.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/04/why-no-corona-fate-of-the-furious-budweiser-fast-furious

http://www.brandchannel.com/2017/04/26/fast-furious-corona-042617/

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/furious-8-vin-diesel-corona-the-fate-of-the-furious

OK, I get that Tyrese is pissed because he thinks the Hobbs/Shaw spin-off is the reason the next official film (which at this point, really wouldn't surprise me if it is called The FasciNineting Furious), but why does all his anger seem directed at Dwayne and none at Jason?  Was Dwayne the only one pushing for it or something?  I just don't get why it seems lopsided on that front.

Either way, I have to admit this might be one of the most amusing feuds of all time.  I know I'm letting my favoritism get the better of me and I really should be side-eying Dwayne since this is the second actor he's had "beef" with, but since he's developed a pretty positive reputation elsewhere, I really suspect this is just a case of people pissed that he has broken out and they haven't.  It's just so hilariously petty.  Although kind of sad, because since this all seems to have happened post-Paul Walker's death, it once again makes me believe that he was the glue that held the "family" together and with him gone, the egos are just running amuck.

• Love 3

I noticed the feud timeline author didn't remark about Michelle Rodriguez also being absent in Mr. Dwayne The Rock Johnsons's thanks shoutout. Wasn't she making noises about pulling the ejector seat if the women didn't get more to do in the next movie?

• Love 1

Yeah. I mean, I might have watched a espionage action/thriller about Hobbs and Elena's Interpol adventures if they hadn't fridged her in the latest movie, but Deckard Shaw is a murderous lunatic who set Han on fire and tried to blow up Mia and Brian's whole family. I don't care how many funny faces Jason Statham makes at Mini-Dom while wearing a baby bjorn, that spinoff is a no sale to me.

On 11/2/2017 at 6:52 AM, thuganomics85 said:

So.... Tyrese is now claiming that if Dwayne continues with the franchise, he won't.  Bold, Tyrese.  Very stupid, but bold.

Very dumb, The Rock is Boxoffice Good right now, Tyresse not so much.

Just watched the movie and, man they got me with Owen showing up, I was not prepared for that. Thought I was all spoiled on this movie and bam!

Decker/Jason fighting with that baby was hilarious. I want a Hobbs/Decker spinoff AND a Shaw Family Spinoff.

I know this is Dom/Vin's movie but, he's my least favorite, next to Roman.

Michelle looked really pretty in this movie.

Damn you movie, Baby Brian ??

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

I enjoyed this.  And yes Dom has a sense of honor about him that would cause   him to go to extreme for a woman he once loved.  She may not be “the one” but Dom would still have feelings for her and would do what was necessary to save her life double that once he realized she was the mother of his son.

The rest of it was fun F&F fair.  If you watched the franchise since Fast Five then you pretty much know what to expect.  Flying car, flying bullets, and flying dialog.    

The fight scene with the baby was hilarious.

Edited by Chaos Theory
Spelling grammar the use
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I enjoyed this.  And yes Dom has a sense of honor about him that would gorse him to go to extreme for a woman he once loved.  She may not be “the one” but Dom would still have feelings for her and would do what was necessary to save her life double that once he realized she was the mother of his son.

The rest of it was fun F&F fair.  If you watched the franchise since Fast Five then you pretty much no what to expect.  Flying car, flying bullets, and flying dialog.    

The fight scene with the baby was hilarious.

Absolutely- Dom and Elena cared for each other very much. When they got together they thought both of their spouses were DEAD. Even IF she had not become pregnant he would’ve tried to save her life, but I knew they were going to kill her as not to have any more road blocks in the Letty/Dom relationship. 

• Love 1

I don't think Vin Diesel is the easiest guy in the world to get along wit.  I remember Paul Walker noting in an interview right before his death that he and Diesel weren't exactly close either.  He didn't mention anything like with what Johnson and Diesel clearly have but wrote it off as an "East Coast, West Coast" thing.