Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E07: Rock Never Dies

Diane
  • Start Topic

RICK SPRINGFIELD ROCKS OUT AS LUCIFER – Lucifer (Rick Springfield) realizes that as rock star Vince Vincente, he can get his fans to do whatever he wants. Thrilled with this power, Lucifer arranges to play a secret VIP concert in order to kill all of them. Sam (Jared Padalecki), Dean (Jensen Ackles) and Castiel (Misha Collins) enter the underbelly of the music industry to try to stop him. Writer: Robert Berens, Director: Eduardo Sanchez.

Edited by SilverStormm
Please use episode format button.
  • Love 2

Cas is really off to me this season. He's never been snarky before. Insulting Dean's wardrobe by saying he looked like a lumberjack was really off base.  I don't understand what is going on with Cas. At all.

• Love 2

I think Cas is supposed to be a bit off this season.  He's angry and blames himself for Lucifer being loose, so it's making him crotchety.  The sarcasm is a bit new, but I don't necessarily dislike it.  

I'm not a Rick Springfield fan, so I can't say that I'm sorry to see his vessel go.  If I had to see him shirtless one more time, I was going to get upset.  Sorry to all the RS fans out there.

So are we supposed to take Sam's lingering gaze at the end as a sign that he's planning to invite Lucifer back in?  I sincerely hope they don't go there again, but it won't surprise me.  He'll think that sacrificing himself is the only way to stop him.  Please let me be wrong.  I'm praying that next week's mid-season finale will be the finale for Lucifer, as well.  

On a totally shallow note, the boys looked particularly good tonight.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, MysteryGuest said:

So are we supposed to take Sam's lingering gaze at the end as a sign that he's planning to invite Lucifer back in?  I sincerely hope they don't go there again, but it won't surprise me.  He'll think that sacrificing himself is the only way to stop him.  Please let me be wrong.  I'm praying that next week's mid-season finale will be the finale for Lucifer, as well.  

On a totally shallow note, the boys looked particularly good tonight

I see it already...he is going to suggest that he let Lucifer in and Mary says no, she is going to do it. The End

The boys looked great-Dean almost knocked me off the couch with that jacket and glasses!

I enjoyed the episode. I like RS as Lucifer-hes scarier than Casifer.  I liked Cas and Crowleys interactions a lot.  I loved the scene in the car with Sam listening to Vince (and lying about it).

Edited by Boopsahoy
forgot how to spell
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, MysteryGuest said:

On a totally shallow note, the boys looked particularly good tonight.

Oh no, I didn't even think of that. I just thought it was supposed to show how much Lucifer being out there was weighing on him.

• Love 1
Just now, MysteryGuest said:

Where are the BMOL when you need them?  I thought they were tracking Sam and Dean and cleaning up any loose ends?  If they're so superior, why don't they take a crack at Lucifer?

Cause they are big fat chicken shits.

3 minutes ago, Boopsahoy said:

I see it already...he is going to suggest that he let Lucifer in and Mary says no, she is going to do it. The End

The boys looked great-Dean almost knocked me off the couch with that jacket and glasses!

I think she'll offer but Dean is gonna have none of that. Dean might just call on Amara to help deal with Lucifer.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Oh no, I didn't even think of that. I just thought it was supposed to show how much Lucifer being out there was weighing on him.

Believe me, I absolutely hope I'm wrong.  And on another note, I kind of hate that they've turned Lucifer into a whiny baby.  I definitely preferred Pellegrino's version.  He at least had a bit of charm mixed in with his evilness.

• Love 5

RS did a great job with what he was given, but I just don't care.  Dean back as the leader saying we can do this...just tired of it all.

13 minutes ago, MysteryGuest said:

Where are the BMOL when you need them?  I thought they were tracking Sam and Dean and cleaning up any loose ends?  If they're so superior, why don't they take a crack at Lucifer?

I want to see them fail a bit of course they'll blame this on the boys.

16 minutes ago, Boopsahoy said:

That was the high note.  I did enjoy the part with Dean playing the game with his mom and losing...hee hee.  I liked Dean trying to play the guitar badly. 

Did I read it correctly that Eric Krikpe directed this one?  I wish I could say I enjoyed it, but I deleted it already.  The best parts weren't enough for me to love this one.  I do agree that RS was creepy.  But I also agree I don't like crybaby Lucifer.

Please please be wrong about Sam offering Lucifer a chance to be his meat suit again.  NO, please no!

• Love 2
1 minute ago, 7kstar said:

Did I read it correctly that Eric Krikpe directed this one?

It was Eduardo Sanchez.

I'm wondering if Lucifer's sob story is getting to Sam. I mean I thought he looked rather sympathetic.

I thought Sam was sad because he was a fan of Vince. He emphasized to Dean about how Vince was a person before Lucifer took over. 

How freaking old is Lucifer now and he's whining again about his father? I was a little miffed about that story line. I thought Rick Springfield was going to spend some time on this show, but I'm glad he's gone. I prefer Mark Pellegrino. 

• Love 3

I don't think Lucifer wants Sam as his meatsuit anymore, and I'm not sure how Sam saying "yes" to Lucifer would be advantageous from the Winchester perspective either. 

The Lucifer plot needed to be over five seasons ago, unless they had something substantially new to do with it. They clearly don't. We're back to season 5 (Lucifer unleashed; the Winchesters and Cas working to stop him, Cas saying "assbut") but with lower stakes and less originality. Lucifer with a plan was actually a compelling figure. This whiny, unhinged sadsack is just a very dangerous annoyance. 

I'm also tired of the whole "We let Lucifer out" shtick, and not only because we've been there before.  While he wound up being wrong, Chuck thought that he needed Lucifer to contain the Darkness. The only reason he didn't go get Michael too is because he apparently isn't in any shape to help. Had some combination of Sam, Cas and Rowena not let Lucifer out already, Chuck would presumably have retrieved him himself. 

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, companionenvy said:

I don't think Lucifer wants Sam as his meatsuit anymore, and I'm not sure how Sam saying "yes" to Lucifer would be advantageous from the Winchester perspective either. 

Sam (or Mary) volunteering as meatsuits wouldn't be any help unless they actually have a plan to kill or cage him (again.)  And I don't really see Lucifer trusting Sam again, since he already overcame him once.  And I can't see either Dean or Sam allowing Mary to be put in the cage.  

I'm guessing it all depends on what Rowena comes up with to get rid of Luci.  But please, please, *please* no more retreads!  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Boopsahoy said:

How about this...Rowena comes up with a way to get Luci back in the cage but they need a meatsuit to lead him in, Mary volunteers, then Billie swoops in and takes her soul to heaven while Luci gets stuck in the cage.  

Edited by ahrtee
  • Love 3

I liked Rick Springfield in the role. I kept wanting him to start singing! Why didn't he sing? Or play his guitar??

? I've done everything for you ?

? Dont talk to strangers ?

This didn't really feel like a Supernatural episode, actually. 

Loved Dean and Sam in those clothes.  That cucumber water looked really good. Nice hotel, too. 

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Can't believe Dean and Sam go to  L. A. And we don't see them at the beach. Lame

I don't care about that, they didn't even go to a demon karaoke bar, and there was no mention of a law firm.  What the heck kind of Mickey Mouse operation is this show?

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, Jediknight said:

I don't care about that, they didn't even go to a demon karaoke bar, and there was no mention of a law firm.  What the heck kind of Mickey Mouse operation is this show?

HA!!! Well played, 

• Love 1

Well, when Luci has a meltdown, he has a literal meltdown. *rim-shot* ... I'll show myself out.

Interesting episode.  So rather than world domination, Lucifer has decided just to bathe in blood.  There is no reasoning with him. Do you suppose if we gave him an Archangel blade he'd just go ahead and impale himself?

Or maybe we could get a pepto bismal Angel to put him out of his misery.  Because he's spiraling in big time.  I mean, he was ALWAYS insane but at least he had goals.  The Apocalypse.  Taking over the Universe.  Now? Now he just wants to cause pain.  I'm going to need to rewatch and unpack this a bit more.  

At first I was surprised that he didn't just snap the boy's necks. But then his little monologuing explained that he wanted them to watch what horrors he creates. It's interesting.  It's like they've become part of his f*cked up family that he piss and moan at.  Because they are so much better to bitch to than random strangers. 

I also liked how they showed that between what happened with Amara and the effects of Rowena's spells, Luci is struggling a bit.  The effects were great when Dean put the handcuffs on.  He may have burned up the bracelet but I think he permanently damaged his meatsuit.  

I have to say, while I am with Dean on this one -- they saved people, I REALLY liked Sam's characterization: No, we're just losing slowly.  NICE LINE Bobo Berens.  

I'm not remotely worried that Sam is going to give Lucifer a ride.  Sam, Dean or Cas taking him on as a vessel would strengthen Lucifer. There's no tactical value in that kind of a move.  And Crowley is already a meatsuit.  No, I think if anything Sam is mentally gearing up to do something stupid but it isn't possession.  

Which leaves me with: where can Lucifer go?  He's the most dangerous kind of villain, he has nothing to lose and nothing to gain.  He's like a rabid dog that needs to be put down.  Ending him would be a mercy.  Which means that they should just shove him back in the cage -- because one does not give Lucifer mercy.  He'd only use it against you.    

• Love 4

Random musings:

Dean pinks up pink panties (Rhonda Hurley memory?) and then we see them in Cas' hand and he drops them.  Did Dean just give pink panties to Cas? LOL

Dean plucking a guitar was lovely.

Dean ranting about L.A. seemed a lot like Jensen rants LOL.

Now Sam knows how it feels to have his music made fun of. 12 years later. HA!

• Love 1

I'm not even sure what I just watched, but it was dull as dishwater if you ask me. 

Why couldn't Crowley and Cass see through the vessel and recognize Lucifer? Also, why were they all just hanging out in that hotel lobby drinking cucumber water? 

Enough with this Lucifer bullshit! I thought we were grounding the show this year? 

I've been really patient and really optimistic...I don't think I can do it anymore.

• Love 2

Cucumber water is delicious; we have it out for guests sometimes where I work and it is so good.

I liked this quite a bit and I thought Rick Springfield did a good job as a Lucifer who is realizing yet again that he just isn't Dad's #1 concern and priority so he's going to let the world burn.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, catrox14 said:

Cas is really off to me this season. He's never been snarky before. Insulting Dean's wardrobe by saying he looked like a lumberjack was really off base.  I don't understand what is going on with Cas. At all.

I thought he was sort of like that in season 5 after he gave up on everything. But Cas has never been given a consistent personality - generally only Dean has one, then Sam on a good day. 

4 hours ago, catrox14 said:

Holy carp. That was Dwayne Wayne with Crowley. LOL. I didn't realize that on my first watch.

One step closer to having Jasmine Guy (I always thought she would be a great hunter or demon).

7 hours ago, MysteryGuest said:

Believe me, I absolutely hope I'm wrong.  And on another note, I kind of hate that they've turned Lucifer into a whiny baby.  I definitely preferred Pellegrino's version.  He at least had a bit of charm mixed in with his evilness.

I always thought Lucifer was a big whiny baby regardless of who was in the role. I think Pellegrino is a better and more charismatic actor than Rick Springfield and the character was fresh then. I don't really believe they ever should have brought the character back. I would have rather seen Michael if they were going to bring back an archangel.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DittyDotDot said:

I'm not even sure what I just watched, but it was dull as dishwater if you ask me. 

Why couldn't Crowley and Cass see through the vessel and recognize Lucifer? Also, why were they all just hanging out in that hotel lobby drinking cucumber water? 

Enough with this Lucifer bullshit! I thought we were grounding the show this year? 

I've been really patient and really optimistic...I don't think I can do it anymore.

The only part of the episode that worked for me was the Hollywood Babylon call back.  Otherwise, I agree.  What could have been exciting and action-packed was a whole lot of nothing.  Oh, look, Lucifer still has Daddy issues.  They couldn't come up with anything better than that?

15 minutes ago, Demented Daisy said:

The only part of the episode that worked for me was the Hollywood Babylon call back.

That whole scene did have me smiling. Dean rambling on--and throwing in a callback too boot--not realizing Sam wasn't listening. Then Sam trying to cover up what he was really listening to and then finally just embracing it while Dean looks on in horror. And, I found it totally amusing they finally gave us some concrete evidence of Sam's musical preferences and, of course, it's the Devil's music. ;)

And then it all went downhill from there. The rest of the episode was a big fat nothing. Sigh.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 3

I guess I should be posting on the unpopular opinion thread as I liked the episode. I actually liked Rick as Lucifer but I am hoping the character is gone soon...been there done that. How can I not like an episode with Dean in a black tee, leather jacket and shades??? I actually loved Cas and Crowley. Theres one scene where Crowley says something like back togwther again and Cas does this sarcastic YAY! Hilarious. Per Cas: He just talks and talks and talks LOL

What happened to the LOL? I was just getting interested with that Mr. Ketch character, I guess it will be after the break. I am not looking forward to the president episode. The election is still too raw for me. I can't even watch Designated Survivor, which I was enjoying before the election. I'm just so done with politics

• Love 3

Nothing is more symbolic of how old and tired this Lucifer story line is, and how they've mistreated Castiel this season than Misha Collins depressing, half-hearted delivery of one of his character's funniest and most recognizable lines.

• Love 2

I liked it for the most part, thought Rick Springfield did a good job.  Like Castiel and Crowley hanging together. Just very tired of the Lucifer story line in general.  Will try to rewatch this weekend to get a better feel for the episode.

• Love 3

Ugh. This one gets a Fail from me. The only things I liked about it were Dean in that leather and wearing those shades(YOWZA!), and when he picked up the guitar, and his still intact never give up attitude.

I really hope that they end the Lucifer storyline soon. In fact, I prayed for it immediately after watching this one. Boo! Hiss! I can't believe that this is the same writer who gave us The Werther Project. It seems to me as if something bad happens to decent writers on this show when they stay on it too long.

Edited by Myrelle

So, how can a rock star,  his band mate (who I quite liked) and two other dudes die all on the same day and the rock star's body decays almost instantly, and it NOT raise the eyebrows of the adoring public not to mention law enforcement and the CDC?  Surely someone from Vince's family...like oh I dunno HIS SISTER might want to know what happened especially since Cas and Crowley were actually at her house and can be placed at the venue where Vince dies. I'm going to be really disappointed if this doesn't amount to more. I suppose it's too much to hope for something like Henriksen pursuing Dean for 3 seasons.

I mean this really isn't going smaller unless the show completely ignores that this death would be a pretty big deal to the public.

Questions: 

Why didn't Billie show up to reap Vince? Or Tommy? Or the other two dudes?

Couldn't Cas or Crowley tried to heal Vince's vessel?

When did Vince really die? On the stage in this episode or long before, like when Rowena sent Lucifer to the bottom of the ocean? 

What happened to Vince's soul? 

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 3

This was pretty dull. In the end, nothing really happened. It shows that they brought Lucifer back yet again but had no real ideas on what to do with the character. And I thought Rick Springfield did a good job. Lucifer isn`t menacing anymore, he is broken and, frankly, lost. And he portrayed that well. The problem is the concept. He has great powers but basically just drifts around. I do dearly hope they finish that chapter soon, once and for all.

In a way, it was a continuation from last week, learning the Winchesters are legends in the hunting community. Well, they are mythological figures now. Even other mythological figures acknowledge that in their own way. Lucifer certainly doesn`t like them but he kinda included them in his daddy bitchfest, "he left you too". The way he talked about humans to them, it was pretty clear he didn`t really include them. It`s like there is a neat little club of supernatural big players on the board and he thinks they are in it as well. After everything that happened on the show, that is actually earned so I like seeing it.

In that vein, I didn`t get the mopey parade on how they are "slowly losing" at the end. Come on. Sure, Lucifer poses a threat but he has been downgraded so significantly since the day of the snorepacalypse. What makes this situation anymore dire then the ten billion other times they seemed outclassed? When Dean told them they will stop Lucifer, I didn`t feel like it was fake confidence to bolster troop moral, I felt like it was a given. Undoubtedly, they`ll stop him. Even the characters shouldn`t question that.

I liked Dean in that outfit and strumming the guitar but the episode as a whole was just really pointless.      

• Love 2

This episode was so boring that not even Jensen Ackles in a leather jacket made it tolerable.

I liked Rick Springfield's acting but unfortunately for him the Lucifer storyline is just lame and uncreative IMHO.

I thought the acting (by all four of the main characters) was bad. They all looked as bored as I felt watching this episode.

I don't get the writers, the promise of this season was the Mary storyline and the BMoL storyline and yet, we are going back to old tiring Lucifer? WHY? to keep Cas and Crowley relevant? Or is there a bigger picture here?

Edited by goldy
  • Love 1

Sorry, but I'm gonna rant for a minute.

I'm tired of the show having Sam remind Dean that humans matter.  Why do they do this? Dean is not some kind of uncaring person who has no comprehension of human suffering. Man, I hate it so much.

• Love 6

In the early years it used to be the other way around, though I didn't pick on that as much as...

51 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

In that vein, I didn`t get the mopey parade on how they are "slowly losing" at the end. Come on. Sure, Lucifer poses a threat but he has been downgraded so significantly since the day of the snorepacalypse. What makes this situation anymore dire then the ten billion other times they seemed outclassed? When Dean told them they will stop Lucifer, I didn`t feel like it was fake confidence to bolster troop moral, I felt like it was a given. Undoubtedly, they`ll stop him. Even the characters shouldn`t question that.

I guess it was Sam's turn to be Chicken Little? Though usually Sam's the one who is all "we're gonna beat this! We will!" while Dean wants to have a relaxing drink, watch anime porn - which he really should call hentai (when you have a niece into anime, it's helpful to know the difference) - and believe there's little they can do. In general though, I think Beren's Sam is a little more defeatist / pessimistic than some other writers - see "The Werther Project" and "Captives" - but I guess after "I killed Hitler" Dean is more confident lately, so he's taken over that role, so Sam's the more pessimistic one for the moment.

It's a good look on Dean, though it's a bit depressing to see pessimistic Sam. I like optimist Sam.

• Love 2

Hey @catrox, you mentioned in the season premiere that you wondered why Misha's name was with an "and" before it. Now you're saying that Cas isn't acting like himself this season. Do you think they are setting Cas up to be killed in the effort of making amends for allowing Lucifer to get out of the cage this time around? I don't read any spoilers, but it seems to me that if TPTB want to have Cas "go out in a blaze of glory" way, this would be it. They really haven't had anything logical for Cas to do for awhile now, so maybe even in spite of the popularity of Misha, they've decided that the time has come. Mind you, this is not necessarily what I would want, but it wouldn't surprise me at this time. Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

Hey @catrox, you mentioned in the season premiere that you wondered why Misha's name was with an "and" before it. Now you're saying that Cas isn't acting like himself this season. Do you think they are setting Cas up to be killed in the effort of making amends for allowing Lucifer to get out of the cage this time around? I don't read any spoilers, but it seems to me that if TPTB want to have Cas "go out in a blaze of glory" way, this would be it. They really haven't had anything logical for Cas to do for awhile now, so maybe even in spite of the popularity of Misha, they've decided that the time has come. Mind you, this is not necessarily what I would want, but it wouldn't surprise me at this time. Thoughts?

Yeah, that's been my concern since I saw the 'and'. It would be a kind of a nice "thank you" for Misha for his career to have an 'and' credit and probably a little extra money. But yes essentially that was my worry with the "and" credit. I hope I'm wrong. I love Cas and think the show is better with him n as long as they can find a good way to use him.

• Love 1

Yeah, I like Cas as well and I think Misha's a great addition to the cast. I just wish they had written more interesting stories for his character post S6. I also agree that the show is better with him in it if they can use his character well. Personally, I'd love to see him have a go with BritBitch!

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

I think after they tried to kill Cas off and got a lot of fan backlash they may have decided to always keep him around in some capacity even if they have no real idea or plans for him, unless Misha wants to leave. 

Couldn't Cas or Crowley tried to heal Vince's vessel?

When did Vince really die? On the stage in this episode or long before, like when Rowena sent Lucifer to the bottom of the ocean?

I'd go with yes, bottom of the ocean.  We know meatsuits "die" from bullets that hit where it would normally kill a person (heart, brain), so drowning also seems like it'd be on the table.  I'd assume Vince was already dead so there was nothing left to heal/save.

So, how can a rock star,  his band mate (who I quite liked) and two other dudes die all on the same day and the rock star's body decays almost instantly, and it NOT raise the eyebrows of the adoring public not to mention law enforcement and the CDC?

I'm not saying it was aliens, but it was aliens.  (Hah sorry I see that image around way too much).  Good question; the news even points out that Vince died, but not the rest of his band?  What's up with that??  I'd think it'd be a huge story to report, aging rock band reunites for a super-secret show and they ALL DIE.

11 hours ago, Demented Daisy said:

The only part of the episode that worked for me was the Hollywood Babylon call back.

Oops, I guess like Sam I wasn't really listening (was cooking dinner) but got back in time to see Sam talk about the "history" he was listening to, and Dean pulling out the headphones.  Probably give it a rewatch later this weekend.

Mostly the episode felt off again to me.  Maybe it was all the flashes of LA to show they're in LA?  They didn't feel the need to do that in "Hollywood Babylon"... I felt like I was watching some sitcom.  I don't remember them ever showing a city like that before just to reinforce where they are..  I had to laugh when Dean said "we're 50 miles from LA" on this little backroad nothing, lots of greenery around, AND IT'S RAINING.  50 miles from LA is either more LA or desert.  99.5% of the time the location to me doesn't really matter (snow in Louisiana?  NOT A PROBLEM MOVING ON) but this bugged me.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, pixelcat said:

I had to laugh when Dean said "we're 50 miles from LA" on this little backroad nothing, lots of greenery around, AND IT'S RAINING.  50 miles from LA is either more LA or desert.  99.5% of the time the location to me doesn't really matter (snow in Louisiana?  NOT A PROBLEM MOVING ON) but this bugged m

I thought he said they were 450 miles away.

• Love 1

I haven't paid any attention to Rick Springfield since his General Hospital days, and never really even then. Just as an aside, I did think, in passing, that he was awfully pretty back in the day, and wondered how he would age, given that overly "pretty" in guys doesn't tend to weather well, and, wow, did he ever go on to prove that. I'd almost wonder whether RS had some makeup done (aside from the "vessel wearing out" stuff to give him even more of a "rode hard and put away wet" look a la Keith Richards, but I have a friend who is a fan, and I've seen pictures of him that she has posted over the years which show the same rate of deterioration...and I have to say, I do find it heartening to see that Jensen's features seem to be following more along the lines of settling more into a ruggedly classic mold.

Shallowness aside, I found this episode quite enjoyable and diverting overall...Sure, it had its faults and inconsistencies, but I enjoyed the interplay between all the characters, and while it didn't go out of its way to add any complexities to the canon, it was a reasonable filler to bring back the whole Lucifer storyline which, granted, has been overused and needs to be tied up, but with such a long-running villain, he sort of deserves at least a bit of an arc into destruction. It didn't do anything to start tying the BMoL back into the plot, but since I (along with seemingly everyone else) don't  much care for them, in some ways that's not necessarily a bad thing. I don't know...it just felt like a sort of pivot point back into the "supernatural" threats after the seeming accentuation of human elements as the threat in much of the season so far. And there was certainly a nice bit of eye candy in leather jackets and shades...so I'm just taking this at face value on those terms and hoping it will lead into a meatier story.

• Love 3