Type keyword(s) to search

Chip & JoJo: It's All In The Family

On June 21, 2016 at 9:42 AM, NYGirl said:

Joanna and Chip were in the news today as someone broke into their property over the weekend and shot 2 of their goats.  I feel so bad because they always talk about the goats on the show.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/texas-news/goats-shot-killed-on-fixer-upper-property/250368151

So it wasn't their home?  Thank goodness.   That's just plain sick.  WTH is wrong with people. Why shoot 2 goats?

This is the reason why tv people shouldn't put so much of their personal life out there.  Keep your house and kids out of the picture.  

• Love 7

Thanks, Diane M, for the link.  That is a wonderful piece of writing--I was impressed with the intermixing of the Gaines' story and Waco's history.  It will be very interesting to see what happens with them and their projects in the future, and how it impacts the town long term. 

• Love 2

I like Chip and Joanna but she constantly does one of my biggest pet peeves, she says "tons" improperly.   There is no such thing as tons of light, tons of space, tons of time etc.  I know it's a petty thing but it drives me crazy.  Unless there is 2000 pounds of space, there isn't a ton of it!   I cringe every time I hear or read it. 

• Love 1

I'm watching one of HGTV's weekly Fixer Upper marathons and Chip just fucking ate a live cockroach on what was obviously a joke dare by their client. I'd fire them on the spot because I would completely lose faith in their professionalism when it comes to something major and expensive like renovating my entire home.

Nothing about Chip says "professional." He seems to want to spend his time reliving his high school jester and college fraternity days. I wonder how much he's actually involved in the renovation. Now I just think he shows up to do a little demo and install a window for the cameras, but is largely hands-off because he just seems too goofy and idiotic to actually be doing anything useful.

HGTV, your viewers shouldn't be on the verge of puking when watching a show.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Automne said:

I'm watching one of HGTV's weekly Fixer Upper marathons and Chip just fucking ate a live cockroach on what was obviously a joke dare by their client. I'd fire them on the spot because I would completely lose faith in their professionalism when it comes to something major and expensive like renovating my entire home.

That was so gross. But I am far too distracted by this coffee shop owner woman's bangs. Are they intentionally side-swept or did she fall asleep on them?? Why so thick but short?? Mystery.

• Love 1
On 10/9/2016 at 6:11 PM, Maharincess said:

I like Chip and Joanna but she constantly does one of my biggest pet peeves, she says "tons" improperly.   There is no such thing as tons of light, tons of space, tons of time etc.  I know it's a petty thing but it drives me crazy.  Unless there is 2000 pounds of space, there isn't a ton of it!   I cringe every time I hear or read it. 

Hmm... I won't link the dictionary because I know that's enraging, but "tons" does mean a lot. It's an idiom. (So it "a lot" for that matter!)

• Love 8

Their magazine is out now. I did a quick perusal at the grocery store magazine section and honestly, it's nothing special. It's clearly a vanity project to further their Magnolia brand, but it's very similar to a lot of other home and food magazines, except with 1000x more shiplap.

• Love 2

I love watching Fixer Upper. But, Chip gets more annoying each season.  Eating a roach and snake skin, showing his jelly belly, interrupting Joanna. Just generally obnoxious.  I wouldn't miss him if he were gone. I watch the show for the redo, not Chip's Ametuer Hour.

• Love 4

I like this couple and their show, but while watching their new episode tonight, a commercial came on for Joann's line of furniture at Value City. Really Joann? When I think of Value City Furniture I think cheap crap. Okie dokie then.

• Love 1

I was furniture shopping and they had a huge section of their stuff displayed. Their brand get around! I thought it would be in their area, but its everywhere!

I thought this most recent "clip show" was silly. They pretended to answer fan questions, but in the end I didn't actually learn anything about them. I too think Chip's schtick (say that 5 times fast) has worn thin and isn't nearly as amusing as he thinks it is. 

Any thoughts about this blog post from Chip? I feel like it should be subtitled "See, Chip CAN be serious!"

https://magnoliamarket.com/chips-new-years-revelation/

• Love 1

We have really become very suspicious of each other, haven't we? I, for one, applaud what Chip has said and agree with everything he espoused. We all need to calm down, help each other and try to move us all forward to a better world in which to raise our children and grandchildren. All of the hatefulness, negativity and suspicion are harmful to all of us. I may snark on someone's hair color or vocal fry but the big stuff is off limits for me. 

• Love 13

I wonder how long they'll be able to sustain their success. They're getting to be overexposed and their style is trendy (which is bad; shiplap* is on the way out and is quickly being considered tacky except when used in certain cases) and pretty specific to Jo. Lots of designers have a signature style but even within that there's variation; most will still step outside their comfort zone for a client. 

*There have been a few times when Jo or Chip have started shouting about shiplap only....it's not shiplap. It's weird that they can't accurately identify it given it's such a huge part of their 'look'. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, tessaforever said:

I thought this most recent "clip show" was silly. They pretended to answer fan questions, but in the end I didn't actually learn anything about them. I too think Chip's schtick (say that 5 times fast) has worn thin and isn't nearly as amusing as he thinks it is. 

Any thoughts about this blog post from Chip? I feel like it should be subtitled "See, Chip CAN be serious!"

https://magnoliamarket.com/chips-new-years-revelation/

Whose bright idea was it to use a light gray font on a white background? I'm not going to be reading that, it hurts my eyes.

On 1/4/2017 at 11:47 PM, slf said:

I wonder how long they'll be able to sustain their success. They're getting to be overexposed and their style is trendy (which is bad; shiplap* is on the way out and is quickly being considered tacky except when used in certain cases) and pretty specific to Jo. Lots of designers have a signature style but even within that there's variation; most will still step outside their comfort zone for a client. 

*There have been a few times when Jo or Chip have started shouting about shiplap only....it's not shiplap. It's weird that they can't accurately identify it given it's such a huge part of their 'look'. 

You know, I like them.  I like that they have well adjusted, well mannered kids, but the whole leave it to beaverness of it all is growing stale.  As is Chip acting the fool all the damn time.   I think it's all downhill from here.  There are only so many houses in Waco, and only so many metal signs Jimmy Dons chubby little fingers can churn out.  And I must admit, I dislike Clint and his crushing on Joanna.   And his tables. I just don't like Clint.  

But I wish them well.  It was a fun show for a few seasons.  

• Love 4

Jellybeans, I agree with you. I'd much rather see a happy, well adjusted family than the fighting, faux arguments and unrealistic renos that we see on some of the other shows. I'm looking at you, Love It or List It (I and II). 

• Love 15

Chip & Joanna transformed an old flower shop into a bakery shop. The shop was located near the silos that they had converted before. They did a nice job and it looked like it would have 30-40 years ago. Very old fashioned, rustic looking and it had a outdoor space which was beautiful. The cupcakes looked amazing and I could eat every single one. The weird thing was I didn't notice a sign on the front of the bakery. I wouldn't have known the name until the end when it partially shown at the end. Of course, it was Magnolia. I'm sure they will drum up a lot of business.

ETA: Apparently, its called The Bakery at the Silos

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 3

I fast forward though a lot of the fluff including JoJo talking to the guys who make tables and signs and kids rock skipping or Chip stuffing a whole cupcake in his mouth. 

A Farmer's Market would be a neat thing to have at the Silos.   

• Love 1
(edited)

@chessiegal, thanks for the tip. I looked at the BBB website & found a living room rug by Magnolia with this description:

"Magnolia Home By Joanna Gaines Kivi Rugs offer a durable contemporary accent to your interior décor with its tiered distressed pattern and pops of color

Heirloom-quality design inspired by well-worn antique Persian rugs..."

I got tickled because I personally don't buy new things that are purposely made to look old. I get the concept but it's just not my aesthetic.  

The largest rug was priced st $2,999 IIRC. Get going, Chimp & Joprah!  I'm glad to see reasonably nice people making bank from things other people want to buy.

Edited by BckpckFullaNinjas
37 minutes ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

I got tickled because I personally don't buy new things that are purposely made to look old. I get the concept but it's just not my aesthetic.  

Its the same as all those people buying jeans or tshirts that are ripped or look worn and used. I will never get it but whatever. Funny though to think that thinks that looked that way at one point in time would make you look poor or trashy and at some point over the years it became the "in" thing. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Evil Queen said:

Its the same as all those people buying jeans or tshirts that are ripped or look worn and used. I will never get it but whatever. Funny though to think that thinks that looked that way at one point in time would make you look poor or trashy and at some point over the years it became the "in" thing. 

What? You don't think an old rake hanging on the wall is art. LOL!!!!

It's funny I like that look on tv but I don't have any of it in my house. I understand the theory (I think) and, when Joanna uses it looks perfect but I personally don't have it in my house. My house is all Pottery Barn. They have some "old" looking stuff but it's clean and doesn't look dirty. LOL!!!!

• Love 3

I do not have any shiplap but my house is full of old stuff...on purpose.  I am 62 now and started collecting antiques and collectibles when I was 17.  You do have to be careful when decorating so it does not look like you are trying to be poor. A few great pieces do the trick.

Eww, ripped jeans.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, ByaNose said:

What? You don't think an old rake hanging on the wall is art. LOL!!!!

It's funny I like that look on tv but I don't have any of it in my house. I understand the theory (I think) and, when Joanna uses it looks perfect but I personally don't have it in my house. My house is all Pottery Barn. They have some "old" looking stuff but it's clean and doesn't look dirty. LOL!!!!

4 hours ago, Jellybeans said:

I do not have any shiplap but my house is full of old stuff...on purpose.  I am 62 now and started collecting antiques and collectibles when I was 17.  You do have to be careful when decorating so it does not look like you are trying to be poor. A few great pieces do the trick.

Eww, ripped jeans.

Wouldn't have the place to hang such art. LOL My place is a mix of so many different things. I don't have any kind of style per say. Most of my collectibles are Disney so I have a VERY Disney home with a mix of some vintage stuff though for sure but its not just anything. Its things that my husband and I have picked up from antique stores and such. I did take the old letters that Joanna uses and came up with a great idea for myself with them. I found a couple of them in antique stores for good prices and have them on a couple walls. The one below is my daughter's and I have a C I hung like a horseshoe instead but no pick of that one right now. 

0417171430_zpsydwijjio.jpg

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, Evil Queen said:

Wouldn't have the place to hang such art. LOL My place is a mix of so many different things. I don't have any kind of style per say. Most of my collectibles are Disney so I have a VERY Disney home with a mix of some vintage stuff though for sure but its not just anything. Its things that my husband and I have picked up from antique stores and such. I did take the old letters that Joanna uses and came up with a great idea for myself with them. I found a couple of them in antique stores for good prices and have them on a couple walls. The one below is my daughter's and I have a C I hung like a horseshoe instead but no pick of that one right now. 

0417171430_zpsydwijjio.jpg

I love that!  So cute!  I have twoo letters that I got back in the 80's...one for each kid.  They are vintage and currently on my fence.  My walls are covered with garden rakes.  No...not really but I have very interesting pieces lol.  

Love how you stuffed the animals in there. Sweet.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Jellybeans said:

I love that!  So cute!  I have twoo letters that I got back in the 80's...one for each kid.  They are vintage and currently on my fence.  My walls are covered with garden rakes.  No...not really but I have very interesting pieces lol.  

Love how you stuffed the animals in there. Sweet.

Thanks. I needed a way to put my Disney Tsum Tsums out. They are made to stack on each other but I wanted something different. It clicked one day that it was a nice unique way to do it. I let my daughter pick ones out she wanted in her letter...aside from the ones that were her's already. While one of my sons has his stacked like a pyramid on a shelf. I have a small a as well I need to get out and hang up still too. I wanted to just find our first letters to use around here and in their rooms. Here is my "horseshoe" one. Sorry for the hazy look. The way the light was coming in was making it that way no matter what. As you can see though Disney is my "style" LOL 

0619171145_zpsrsn1i1u5.jpg

• Love 1

Adorable!!!  It is fun to see all the different styles.  

Since my stuff would fit into a Joanna/Chip style house, I would love them to renovate my place. Minus the clocks.  Not a fan...

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/19/2017 at 0:12 AM, Evil Queen said:

the same as all those people buying jeans or tshirts that are ripped or look worn and used. I will never get it but whatever. Funny though to think that thinks that looked that way at one point in time would make you look poor or trashy and at some point over the years it became the "in" thing. 

I'm so old, I remember when torn jeans were patched before you wore 'em again. I suppose a reworking of that is down the line somewhere, too!

Does anybody else ever look around their house and imagine how C&J would propose fixing it up?  My abode is a mid-century story & a half, very cottagey with rooms well-defined by walls, lotsa walls.  And standard, 8-foot ceilings. I often think it wouldn't even make it past the first audition! 

Edited by BckpckFullaNinjas
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

I'm so old, I remember when torn jeans were patched before you wore 'em again. I suppose a reworkingbif that is down the line somewhere, too!

Does anybody else ever look around their house and imagine how C&J would propose fixing it up?  My abode is a mid-century story & a half, very cottagey with rooms well-defined by walls, lotsa walls.  And standard, 8-foot ceilings. I often think it wouldn't even make it past the first audition! 

I don't know. It be fun to have them redo stuff but I'm married to a guy that can do it all so he would be right in there wanting to take control of it and do it. LOL Yet I don't think they would touch my place anyway. We are in a mobile home by the beach. LOL 

• Love 4

I see they made sure to mention the AirBnB at the end there. What a joke. I get that some people have to move at times because of jobs or personal things but I have felt for a long time that with most these shows where they come in and fix the place up for whoever to live in it that they at some point were planning to sell it and try to use the name of the show to jack the price up beyond what it normally would be or now they do it so they can rent it on AirBnB. Which those living in the areas don't want that crap going on. I can't see that company lasting at the rate that many cities are banning short term rentals like that. Which good because who wants to live with that around them? I wouldn't. The city I am in doesn't allow it. Heck even Anaheim, the place where Disneyland is, has that ban going into effect in less than a year. Sorry but jacking up the price of the home to a mil is not going to get you that just because it was on tv. SMH

2 hours ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

I'm so envious!  You E N J O Y !!!!

Thanks. LOL I will bet many would be right now if they are in heat wave areas. We are a nice overcast day, again, temps are down in the 60s still and it kind of has a chill in the air with it. Something to enjoy while it lasts until we get hit with the heat. I grew up in the valley here so it was always hot at this time of year. I enjoyed the days we would go visit my grandparents since they were not far from the beach and it was so much cooler there with the breeze.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Anyone want to buy a house for a million dollars?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/06/22/fixer-upper-home-can-yours-1-m/418750001/

It's a steal. One bedroom. Oh, brother!!!!

This is interesting:

The house was built in 1920 and was listed at only $28,000 before the Gaines became interested in showing it to prospective buyers, who would let them renovate it for their HGTV program.

So the owners didn't own it first? Chip & Joanna owned it & then sold it to them for the show?

No, Chip and Joanna negogiated to get that house for the Bells.  It was moved to another lot.  The Bells (or subsequent owners) are making lots of money off of the Gaines name.  I remember the same thing happening with the Barn turned house.

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Anyone want to buy a house for a million dollars?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/06/22/fixer-upper-home-can-yours-1-m/418750001/

It's a steal. One bedroom. Oh, brother!!!!

In Waco, Texas. Where the median home cost is $95 per square foot. Which should put the price around a hundred grand.

Only off by a factor of ten...

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Jellybeans said:

The Bells (or subsequent owners) are making lots of money off of the Gaines name.  I remember the same thing happening with the Barn turned house.

They aren't necessarily making money because I'm pretty sure nobody is going to pay $950/sf in Waco. Didn't Chimp & Jo stop the buyer of the barn from using the FU name? I remember she bought it from the couple for whom it was FU'ed, and then listed it at an astronomical markup, which displeased the Gaines.  

Semi off topic I'm sorry to hear about Airbnb getting shut down.  I've been well pleased and in my experience the visits have been very neutral to the neighborhoods.  MMV, obvs.

• Love 2
On 6/22/2017 at 11:09 AM, Jellybeans said:

No, Chip and Joanna negogiated to get that house for the Bells.  It was moved to another lot.  The Bells (or subsequent owners) are making lots of money off of the Gaines name.  I remember the same thing happening with the Barn turned house.

On 6/22/2017 at 1:31 PM, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

They aren't necessarily making money because I'm pretty sure nobody is going to pay $950/sf in Waco. Didn't Chimp & Jo stop the buyer of the barn from using the FU name? I remember she bought it from the couple for whom it was FU'ed, and then listed it at an astronomical markup, which displeased the Gaines.  

Semi off topic I'm sorry to hear about Airbnb getting shut down.  I've been well pleased and in my experience the visits have been very neutral to the neighborhoods.  MMV, obvs.

The barn one though was sold by the original owners that it was done for because they had to move over the husband's job. The lady that bought it from them tried to cash in on the Gaines name though and use it as an AirBnB. The issue with it being used that way was not just by the Gaines and their names used in that manner but the neighbors in that area were not happy about it being set up by this person as a rental like that. I don't blame them. This is why AirBnB is getting shut out of neighborhoods. Those living in them do not want this kind of disruption going on. While AirBnB isn't gone.  I bet it doesn't have much of a future in many places...if one at all some place down the road. More and more places in Los Angeles are shutting down the short term rentals as well right now too.  With Los Angeles that is a big hit for that company considering the huge tourist market here...same with Disneyland's area. Even though I would think since most that area isn't the best its really better to stay in hotels near the parks to begin with. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Evil Queen said:

The issue with it being used that way was not just by the Gaines and their names used in that manner but the neighbors in that area were not happy about it being set up by this person as a rental like that.

Ah, I see!!! Thanks for the complete info.

I'm ever more intrigued by this Airbnb news.  I've experienced a stay in a nice middle-class suburb (where the neighbors, observant religious people, were very glad to have people "next door" to help them out on their holy day, long story) and another in a small city where the lodgings were above a commercial space. No problems either place and the first one had a thick guest book of wonderful comments from literally s couple hundred patrons, many of whom were international tourists.

I do know a traditional B&B owner who - while willing to mentor prospective Airbnb proprietors - really hopes they will either go full B&B or quit entirely. And I'm way off topic. Time to book a date with Google!! ;-)

• Love 2
On 6/22/2017 at 3:15 PM, Oldernowiser said:

In Waco, Texas. Where the median home cost is $95 per square foot. Which should put the price around a hundred grand.

Only off by a factor of ten...

And that's in better neighborhoods than this one.

I want some of what they're smoking.

• Love 2

I think it is decent of Chip and Joanna not to somehow take advantage of their fame and flip the houses themselves and sell them.  Instead the owners or subsequent owners sell them for excessive amounts because of the Gaines names.  They have been very good to Waco.

• Love 6
On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 2:22 PM, aguabella said:

Agree, plus it feels as if tptb decided to take it over the top in Season 2.  A little goes a long way, IMHO.

It appears tptb have significantly shortened / edited out other parts of the episodes to make way for the Chip comedy hour.  Even though I'm not a fan of the house hunt portion, in general, I dislike the way they've shortened it to only include the common areas plus mbr.  Would rather see Jo's sketch up of each home but that's JMHO.  Or, even better, how about more reno?

What gets me is the flat, atonal response of "sure" from Chip to anything the homeowners say, good or bad.  It's like he has it on auto-loop.  He couldn't appear less interested when the spotlight isn't on his goofy antics.

• Love 2