Type keyword(s) to search

The Challenge in the Media: "The road to [fame] is straight and narrow."

• Start Topic

On 11/20/2021 at 5:12 PM, snarts said:

The rumors about Emy and announced return of Jordan shows that they've learned little since, Their apology is convenient and self-serving. Does anyone think they personally reached out to him? 

I think it's hypocritical for the show to banish people permanently over words.  Actions, yes.  Kenny and Evan, never want to see them again because Tonya.   What Camila said to Leroy was wrong, but the woman was drunk.   Nobody is chosen to go on The Challenge because they are upstanding, open-minded paragons of virtue and wokeness.   Many of them are flawed people placed in a pressure-cooker with unlimited access to alcohol and -- if rumors of the past are true -- drugs.  They are encouraged to act out for the camera and it quickly becomes apparent to them that the more OTT they are, the more camera time they get.   The more camera-time they get, the greater the chance they will be invited back.   Now and then one of them goes over the edge and says something unfortunate.   IMO, offenders should be given the opportunity to apologize and show they can do better, maybe made to sit out a season, but not be banished or exiled.   Each of these occurrences could be turned into a teaching moment, instead offenders now get wished into the cornfield.   It doesn't reflect well on the showrunners to treat people whose bad behavior they enabled as disposable commodities.  

What were the rumors about Emy?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, millennium said:

I think it's hypocritical for the show to banish people permanently over words.  Actions, yes.  Kenny and Evan, never want to see them again because Tonya.   What Camila said to Leroy was wrong, but the woman was drunk. 

Words matter just as much as actions. I don't care that she was drunk, there should be repercussions for any racist/bigoted comments. There's now a huge universe of available competitors to chose from, why should they reward bad behavior? 

• Love 8

I never suggested racist comments should meet with no repercussions or that bad behavior should be rewarded.

But I think there's often gray area involved and I believe that the participants and the audience would be better served if these situations were handled on a case-by-case basis rather than the knee-jerk cancellations that have become SOP throughout American culture in recent years.

Yes, there is a huge universe of available competitors, but to keep throwing people away because they exhibit poor judgment is dehumanizing and hypocritical.    The Challenge gives these young people all the rope they need to hang themselves, then just tosses the bodies aside when they do.

I come from a generation when people in America were still afforded second chances; they could screw up, apologize, drop out of sight for awhile, then come back, apologize again, and try to do better.   We were a more forgiving people back then, and, IMO, better for it.

• Love 5
On 12/29/2021 at 3:25 PM, millennium said:

I come from a generation when people in America were still afforded second chances; they could screw up, apologize, drop out of sight for awhile, then come back, apologize again, and try to do better.   We were a more forgiving people back then, and, IMO, better for it.

They get as many chances as they need to keep becoming better people, and I root for each one of them to do so.  I mean that very sincerely.  I hope Camilla is a better person and is a good mom.  But that doesn't mean she should be given another chance on The Challenge.  No one is entitled to be on TV.  Lost opportunities are appropriate consequences to being racist, IMO.  Again, I wish her nothing but the best, but she shouldn't be asked back to the show.

I don't see where they aren't handling things on a case-by-case basis, though I do think there should be some hard lines.  It took them far too long to stop asking people like Camilla back, and I'm glad they seem to be raising the bar.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, falltime said:

From what I can remember Camila wasn't banned because of her racism. It was because of her behavior while filming the Pros vs stars challenge. 

As I've heard it, it was the putting hands on staff and having a drunken golf cart accident that ruined her chances of returning. 

• Love 3

Yep, like I said, it took them way to long to fire her.  But she doesn't need to return to this particular job one way or another.  Wish her well, never hope to see her again.  Both things are equally true.

• Love 6
On 1/7/2022 at 11:44 AM, Unclejosh said:

Kinda puts Cara Maria's actions on Bloodlines in a whole new light doesnt it? Not that I thought she deserved the shaming she got but she was looking for any way out.

As it happens, I just finished a Bloodlines rewatch a couple nights ago.  Cara appeared sick and scared at the reunion show.   I felt bad that she wasn't allowed to enjoy her win for even one minute.   Abram behaved in a civil manner at the reunion but he looked like he had just come off Cell Block C after doing ten years of hard time.  Bananas lost graciously to her when he was eliminated, but all that good will evaporated on the reunion.  He went at Cara hard, perhaps to distract from his cousin's dismal performance, immortalized as #VinceFail

• Love 5
On 1/3/2022 at 9:24 AM, lasu said:

They get as many chances as they need to keep becoming better people, and I root for each one of them to do so.  I mean that very sincerely.  I hope Camilla is a better person and is a good mom.  But that doesn't mean she should be given another chance on The Challenge.  No one is entitled to be on TV.  Lost opportunities are appropriate consequences to being racist, IMO.  Again, I wish her nothing but the best, but she shouldn't be asked back to the show.

I don't see where they aren't handling things on a case-by-case basis, though I do think there should be some hard lines.  It took them far too long to stop asking people like Camilla back, and I'm glad they seem to be raising the bar.

Absolutely. Putting someone on TV gives them a platform. It draws people to their social media and gives them multiple opportunities to basically hold court. Back in the day, outside of interviews arranged by MTV's media people and the occasional blog, cast members didn't have much opportunity to share their thoughts outside the show. Now, everyone regularly goes live on instagram or does podcasts or has a patreon and absolutely go to town on their fellow cast members, spilling "tea," in some respects it would seem making stuff up, and saying whatever it is they want to say. MTV probably can't even view half of it unless they pay cast members for access. The situation you're putting these people who represent the show in has changed. Even if BMP/MTV aren't doing it for the "right" reasons, I appreciate them being more thoughtful now regarding to whom they want to give that sort of platform. Now they just need to do a better job of making those decisions preemptively instead of being forced to be reactive. 

Also, putting aside her behavior on Champs vs Stars, during that drunken racist rant night Camila picked up weights and was threatening cast and security with them. The fact that she wasn't banned after that seems like a huge error in judgment, and it's not surprising at all that she got aggressive with crew again on her next outing. She could have really hurt someone or herself. I don't think Camila should even be relevant to the conversation about people not being asked back over racist or insensitive statements, because that's not ultimately why Camila was let go from the show. 

Edited by Jillibean
  • Love 6

54 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Does anyone have any more info on this?

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/the-challenge-spinoffs-cbs-paramount-plus-1235182559/

It looks like it's going to become almost a purely physical competition show to me.  Which, for me, is a huge bummer, especially since All Stars is just about as physical.  I don't mind athletic challenges, but the whole draw of this show was seeing what the folks I knew from the MTV shows were up to.  I totally understand needing new blood since they don't have RW/RR to feed off of, but this is morphing into a totally different show.  I'm sure they feel they have an audience for it, but the jury is out for me on if it will continue to hold my interest.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, lasu said:

but this is morphing into a totally different show.  I'm sure they feel they have an audience for it, but the jury is out for me on if it will continue to hold my interest.

Agreed on both counts!

It does seem like this will be a purely physical competition - perhaps some mental/endurance based challenges, sure. But are they going to have everyone living together at each stage of competition? A huge part of The Challenge is the social gameplay as well. There are some less physically-dominant Challengers that do well because they play a good social game. That's half the fun of watching this show! Seeing how people interact and how that influences the game. 

All-Stars very quickly lost my interest when it just because "Regular Challenge [Elderly Jokes Version]" and I can't see this War of the World format holding my interest for long either.

• Love 4

Wow would never have expected The Challenge to become so big.

But my guess is it's cheaper than scripted content and Paramount and CBS/Viacom need to fill up the content on Paramount + and reality shows are a cheap way to do it.

I think probably overkill though, because they could probably keep some form of The Challenge on year round.

I don't need to watch every week.  Right now is a good respite after the last Challenge and CAS seasons.

They didn't say anything about the Road Rules reboot, which is suppose to be happening this year.

I'd resubscribe for that.

But who am I kidding, I'll probably re-subscribe in May at least.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, lasu said:

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/the-challenge-spinoffs-cbs-paramount-plus-1235182559/

It looks like it's going to become almost a purely physical competition show to me.  Which, for me, is a huge bummer, especially since All Stars is just about as physical.  I don't mind athletic challenges, but the whole draw of this show was seeing what the folks I knew from the MTV shows were up to.  I totally understand needing new blood since they don't have RW/RR to feed off of, but this is morphing into a totally different show.  I'm sure they feel they have an audience for it, but the jury is out for me on if it will continue to hold my interest.

11 minutes ago, shantown said:

Agreed on both counts!

It does seem like this will be a purely physical competition - perhaps some mental/endurance based challenges, sure. But are they going to have everyone living together at each stage of competition? A huge part of The Challenge is the social gameplay as well. There are some less physically-dominant Challengers that do well because they play a good social game. That's half the fun of watching this show! Seeing how people interact and how that influences the game. 

All-Stars very quickly lost my interest when it just because "Regular Challenge [Elderly Jokes Version]" and I can't see this War of the World format holding my interest for long either.

I wouldn't mind more of an athletic competition with transparent rules and tracking of results.

I think the results and the votes are rife for manipulation by both producers and the competitors, especially the voting.

But it can't be a bunch of Hall Brawls between people who are vastly different in size, weight and strength.

That's another thing, transparency on what the elimination challenges are going to be in a given episode.  It's so convenient for producers to put up an elimination which is completely unbalanced to manipulate whom they want to win.

I wonder if they have metrics showing which aspects of the Challenge shows are most popular.  Is it the actual daily and elimination challenges, the partying and fights as the cast get drunk, the police-dicking or showmances and social game to have alliances?

And within the daily and elimination challenges, do viewers like purely athletic aspects, the puzzles, the food challenges, etc.?

But they probably don't care about micromanaging these aspects of the shows, as long as they get enough advertisers and subscribers, it's a quick and cheap way to crank out content year-round.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, aghst said:

But who am I kidding, I'll probably re-subscribe in May at least.

My subscription ends at the beginning of March and since I've decided to stop The Challenge and don't particularly care about The Challenge: All Stars anymore either unfortunately, I planned on cancelling. But this new thing has me suspecting I'll be back in May, too. Dammit! Hopefully there will be some people I really hate on it so I won't be as tempted lol.

• LOL 2

Stop Being Polite reveals cast for War of the Worlds. The “global tournament” one with the CBS reality alumni.  I didn’t know where else to post this. Do we need a new forum for this? Related forum like All Stars?

It’s just casting spoilers, and some of them could be alternates. For me, it’s a bunch of Survivor people I’ve forgotten about, only one Racer, no one from Tough As Nails (probably for the best), and new Big Brother people I’m prepared to hate from the start.

• Love 1

So...this isn't The Challenge at all anymore?  I'll admit, there are enough BB and Survivor players to intrigue me a bit, but there is not a single vet other than TJ.  It's very bizarre (to me).

• Love 1
4 hours ago, lasu said:

So...this isn't The Challenge at all anymore?  I'll admit, there are enough BB and Survivor players to intrigue me a bit, but there is not a single vet other than TJ.  It's very bizarre (to me).

"Challenge" name and probably format, CBS reality show veterans. This will n interesting, but the degree for failure is pretty high.

• Love 1

Didn't they have a bunch of Survivor and BB alums in the last season too?

But they're not being invited back, so one and done?

There was one woman who had won one of these other shows and she seemed like a contender but they got rid of her early.

On 3/11/2022 at 7:12 AM, Lantern7 said:

Stop Being Polite reveals cast for War of the Worlds. The “global tournament” one with the CBS reality alumni.  I didn’t know where else to post this. Do we need a new forum for this? Related forum like All Stars?

It’s just casting spoilers, and some of them could be alternates. For me, it’s a bunch of Survivor people I’ve forgotten about, only one Racer, no one from Tough As Nails (probably for the best), and new Big Brother people I’m prepared to hate from the start.

On 3/11/2022 at 4:00 PM, Lantern7 said:

Another cast list, this from a fellow fan I know from Facebook. I give him the benefit of the doubt, though it's not clear who will be cast and who will be alternates.

The trailer that was posted doesn't intrigue me but the cast list does.

Of the shows they are feeding from, I only really watch Survivor USA. I only watched one season of Love Island, which turned out to not be my cup of tea. Five people from the one season I watched happen to be on the cast list (Cashay, Josh Goldstein, Cinco, Korey Gandy, Olivia Kaiser) and I thought they were very uninteresting (doesn't help that I didn't really like their original show).

I'd like to see some of the Survivor players again and that peaks my interest.

I hope this isn't a pure or majority athletic competition. Season 37 of The Challenge did really well with the variety in challenges and eliminations, much better than the previous 2 or 3 seasons.

Edited by AntFTW

Yeah, just looking at the cast list I'd have to imagine there's going to be a lot more puzzle/trivia challenges. It's gonna be a much more social game -- especially considering some of the people they chose from BB who I can't imagine lasting long if they have to rely on their physicality.

Don't watch Love Island. But I know who I'm rooting from from the BB, Race and Survivor crowd so they certainly will go first.

Edited by grandmabegum
  • Love 1

Bananas has gone to Poland to help Ukraine refugees. 

The Challenge’s Johnny Bananas went to Poland to help deliver supplies during the Russia-Ukraine war

Jordan is inside Ukraine, delivering generators and other supplies to the Ukraine military.

https://www.tmz.com/2022/03/09/the-challenge-jordan-wiseley-ukraine-delivering-supplies-poland-border-crossing/

Cara Maria and Paulie, meanwhile, are wondering how they can get the Ukrainians to send Bananas and Jordan into elimination ...

Edited by millennium
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, aghst said:

Are they tweeting or posting on Instagram about it?

What's their angle?

I think they are posting on Instagram (I don't do social media so I don't know how all that works).  The articles I linked to feature some posts and a video by Jordan and his roommate.

As far as I know, Bananas said he couldn't just sit around and watch as a sovereign nation was invaded.   Jordan said he was over there "for humanity." 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Trailer for All Stars 3 dropped today.

Here's an article with the cast. "Only Finalists" is a bit hollow since a lot of people have made it that far. And as much as I like Cynthia . . . does completing Road Rules: All Stars count as a win?

So this has become exactly like the flagship with regard to the casting…

Kailah? Nia? Sylvia?

What's the deal, when is the next regular season?

Probably overlapping towards the end of this Paramount + All Stars season, which are typically 10 episodes?

So maybe towards the end of May, beginning of June?

5 hours ago, aghst said:

What's the deal, when is the next regular season?

*Is* there a regular show anymore?  There's All Stars, and now the CBS War of the Worlds thingie, but I haven't heard anything about a regular Challenge season filming or anything.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, lasu said:

*Is* there a regular show anymore?  There's All Stars, and now the CBS War of the Worlds thingie, but I haven't heard anything about a regular Challenge season filming or anything.

I’ve read they will start filming in May. 

• Useful 2

With All Stars on the horizon, one of my Facebook friends is writing player profiles. So far, he's covered Jordan and Veronica, as well as a trailer breakdown and power rankings.

The guy does great work. The snark is pretty choice as well. A while back, he wrote a list on the best swimmers in the show's history, and he made this observation on Camila: "[She] was awesome at everything on the Challenge except for being a good person."

• Love 3