Type keyword(s) to search

The Challenge in the Media: "The road to [fame] is straight and narrow."

• Start Topic

Saw a commercial for The Challenge: CBS featuring players from TAR, Survivor and BB.

Sounds like it should be airing soon?

Maybe some overlap with All Stars or S38 of the Challenge?

But wait, there's more, The Challenge: Shore includes people from The Jersey Shore Family Vacation, Geordie Shore and some other reality dreck I don't watch.

There are going to be The Challenge shows in the UK, Argentina and Australia and the players from those shows will combine with players from the CBS Challenge for a War of the Worlds competition to crown the world champion.

https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2022/02/challenge-cbs-paramount-plus-all-star-seasons/

Some of these will be on Paramount +, which is starved for content because they don't seem to have much more going on besides The Challenge shows.

We're going to need more sub forums or maybe these other Challenge shows need their own forums.

1 hour ago, shantown said:

The Challenge on CBS will be a different show with a different forum. All discussion can be done over there!

Are they treating this as a wholly separate show with no appearances from our MTV faves?

(edited)
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

I think we have finally achieved overkill. Three versions of the series and now a history special.

It’s a band that sold out a long, long, LONG time ago.

For me, the last enjoyable season of The Challenge was Season 35, Total Madness.   Though somewhat diluted, the show's basic formula remained intact.   It was after that, when Covid restricted production and they started bringing in players from Baltic countries, etc. and the old vets started opting out to get married, have babies, etc., that the whole thing turned to crap.  It didn't help that they were filming in bunkers in the hinterlands of Europe either.   The loss of elegant Challenge houses in tropical locales with pools and hot tubs, etc. changed the whole look and feel of the series.

I know a lot of people pine for the Challenge era that predates TJ, but I can't relate.   I'm watching -- or trying to watch because I find it very difficult -- Season 6, with that POS Puck.   The production value is so poor, the sets so cheap, and the players so interchangeable and forgettable that I find my attention drifting.   I used to wonder why Paramount doesn't make those seasons available for streaming.  After watching some of them, I don't wonder as much.

As for the "History of the Challenge," sign me up.   Two years ago, I scoffed at shows like this.   But then someone close to me got me watching just by having it on in the house during Covid.   I got sucked in ("who's this Bananas guy?") and never looked back.  This show is like no other.  It has its own mythology, with a pantheon of colorful personalities and individual stories.   It's comedy and drama, the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat, and the theater of the absurd all rolled into one.   While other shows struggle with presenting diverse casts, this show does it effortlessly (despite a few bumps along the way).   For the most part, people on the Challenge are judged not by their skin color or where they came from.  Instead, it's a matter of physical ability, resourcefulness, likeability, wit, honor and loyalty (or lack thereof), and intelligence.

No way will the new Challenge USA capture any of that magic by bringing in idiots from Survivor and the Amazing Race.  

Edited by millennium
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, aghst said:

Paramount + is badly in need of orig content so they’re going wild with spin-offs and sequels.

Original ideas are an endangered species.   Or perhaps already extinct.

(edited)
3 minutes ago, millennium said:

Original ideas are an endangered species.   Or perhaps already extinct.

All they've been doing so far is reinventing the wheel. They are apparently doing the same or something similar with their "Shore" shows as well.

Edited by AntFTW
Just now, AntFTW said:

All they've been doing so far is reinventing the wheel. They are apparently doing the same or something similar with their "Shore" shows as well.

Star Trek shows, too -- Star Trek: Discovery, Star Trek: Picard, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds ...

(edited)

This trailer debuted on one of MTV's B.S. awards show . . .

First: Mike being included means we'll have some early stuff from the pre-Teege era . . . but I don't think it'll amount to much. Second: how much of what will get showed will we not have known already? I'm also thinking they should slip in a musical number to explain the lack of Inferno 3 and/or The Ruins. I think the song will be "We Don't Talk About Tonya."

Edited by Lantern7
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Oh boy.  Not really my kind of movie, but I'll probably be in just to see CT.  But bless his heart, I didn't understand anything he said until the last few lines.  Did it take my ears that long to adjust back to "CT" setting?  Did anyone else understand him?  

33 minutes ago, bunnyface said:

But bless his heart, I didn't understand anything he said until the last few lines.  Did it take my ears that long to adjust back to "CT" setting?  Did anyone else understand him?  

I definitely had to watch it a second time to get what he was saying. I think he also sort of mumbles the first few lines under his breath.

I will most likely pop some popcorn for this. It'll depend on the run time.

On 7/10/2022 at 1:44 AM, Lantern7 said:

Okay, so this is actually happening . . .

"Christopher"?!? Really, dude? REALLY?!?

What in the...... Is this actually real????? And if yes, what the hell is it supposed to be about? I got absolutely nothing from that trailer.

28 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Does the new season start next week? My TiVo is showing episodes 1 and 2 airing back-to-back on the 21st but I haven’t seen and promos or anything.

It is showing up on my PVR too!   I guess it is starting up…wonder if was filmed in the same location as the Challenge USA.   

Just now, DEL901 said:

It is showing up on my PVR too!   I guess it is starting up…wonder if was filmed in the same location as the Challenge USA.   

I think so. I feel like I heard somewhere that they’re just gonna film there forever now like Survivor does in Fiji.

I checked Futon Critic and apparently it’s The Challenge: Untold History that starts next week so I guess TiVo is just incorrectly identifying it.

Interesting, you'd think they've run promos or release a trailer around now, if not soon.

Hmm that cast list, is it my imagination or there seems to be a higher percentage of the old vets than newbies or people who've only done the last season or two?

That would swing the alliance strength toward vets, which hasn't been the case in the last couple of seasons, the rookies and sophomores had greater numbers, though they weren't good at leveraging their numbers so well, allowing the rookies to be picked off and have the vets whittle down their numbers.

2 hours ago, AntFTW said:

FINALLY!

I desperately need to get the foul taste of The Challenge USA out of my mouth.

Very happy to see Bananas back in it (though how long he'll last with Nany as partner remains to be seen).  I'm doubly thankful that they seem to have abandoned the lame "Spies" theme.

That two minute trailer alone feels more like "The Challenge" than every episode of The Challenge USA combined.

• Sad 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 9/15/2022 at 7:33 PM, millennium said:

Very happy to see Bananas back in it (though how long he'll last with Nany as partner remains to be seen).

I guess we can say that Johnny isn't winning because Nany is cursed. ORRR is this the season Nany finally wins?

Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF

• LOL 1
On 9/17/2022 at 11:38 PM, AntFTW said:

I guess we can say that Johnny isn't winning because Nany is cursed. ORRR is this the season Nany finally wins?

Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF

Ditto for Aneesa, who's teamed with Jordan.  

Nany could have plausibly won Free Agents if only she had stayed on the bike during the Final.

• Love 1