Type keyword(s) to search

The Challenge in the Media: "The road to [fame] is straight and narrow."

• Start Topic

This isn't a media post but I don't know exactly where else to ask it either.

I came across a show the other day.  I don't remember the name of it.  Maybe Redneck Island.  Anyway, they had male/female teams who did challenges together and then in elimination they completed separately and whoever was left over was teamed up together.  For instance, Betty and Archie went into elimination against Veronica and Jughead.   Betty beats Veronica and Jughead beats Archie.  Veronica and Archie go home and Betty and Jughead are now partners until they come up for elimation again.

Has The Challenge ever done a season like that.  Other than the stupid Algorhithm thing.  It could make for some interesting match-ups.

• Useful 1

So after being away for awhile Bananas has been on the last couple including the World Edition.

guess his other gigs didn’t last, hosting some show.

Fessy didn’t get invited to WE.

and CT has been awaY for awhile.  Has he found an actual career or doing something short term and is likely to try to get back to the Challenge in a year or two?

On 4/4/2023 at 5:30 PM, bunnyface said:

This isn't a media post but I don't know exactly where else to ask it either.

I came across a show the other day.  I don't remember the name of it.  Maybe Redneck Island.  Anyway, they had male/female teams who did challenges together and then in elimination they completed separately and whoever was left over was teamed up together. 

Has The Challenge ever done a season like that.  Other than the stupid Algorhithm thing.  It could make for some interesting match-ups.

Double Agents had something like this. I don't remember if both genders were up for elimination at the same time. It may have been female elimination day then male elimination day. The winner got to choose if they stayed with their partner or if they wanted to pick someone else.

• Like 1
On 4/18/2023 at 11:46 PM, bunnyface said:

Wes Bergmann on Twitter: "Baby ginger genius; coming in September. 🌋 https://t.co/W4OgQ1wqSX" / Twitter

Picturing Wes having a heart to heart with his son or daughter sometime in the future:

"You're going to face many challenges in life.   If you remember nothing else I've tried to teach you, remember this:  Always drink the smoothie."

• LOL 2
(edited)

The-Most-Dangerous-Game-Puster-e16597442

So I tried to watch it.  Really I did.   I lasted ... well, let's just say I lasted a little longer than Bananas in the famous Backpack scene (CT's wearing a backpack in the picture -- is that an Easter Egg?)

I found myself screaming at the television "Why CT?  Why?"

Put it this way -- see that movie poster?   It's better than the whole movie (is it just me or is Casper Van Dien channeling TJ in the poster?)

Ohhh, I have found CT so entertaining throughout the years.   But this ... this?   He is the exact opposite of entertaining.   He tries to play his character low-key and soft-spoken, two qualities entirely alien to CT.  And the Massachusetts accent ... There's a reason the only Massachusetts accents you see in movies are overly-exaggerated fake ones.   I don't know exactly what that reason is, but listen to CT's dialogue and you'll see what I mean.

The biggest mystery of the film though is why CT gets top billing in the credits.  Seriously, he is billed as the star of the movie (and also as a producer), with bigger names like Tom Berenger, Bruce Dern and Judd Nelson taking a back seat.   It's almost as perplexing as the fact that Bruce Dern is still alive.

I'm wondering if this is a vanity project CT financed with some of his Challenge winnings.  It's the only explanation I can come up with. 

It was impossible for my  imagination not to transpose scenes from The Challenge (especially the finals) onto scenes from the movie, since a lot of the action is running and surviving in mountainous woods.   I expected a puzzle or an eating challenge around every bend.  Or maybe Kenny would run past carrying Wes.  Or Zach would be on the ground, cramped up and wailing.

THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME (even the title feels Challenge-adjacent) is on Amazon, part of Prime Video.   If you think you can beat my endurance time, let's go ...

Edited by millennium
  • LOL 2

I can see CT getting top billing because he's much younger and those well-known actors are mostly doing supporting roles now in their careers.

Maybe the producers thought CT would draw some younger audiences who watched The Challenge seasons.

I would hate to believe it was a vanity project.  Being a producer could mean he invested.  Or it could be a way to give him more money, being paid as cast and as a producer.

He's missed the last couple of seasons of The Challenge while making this movie?

So hope he got a good payday.

On 5/26/2023 at 4:30 PM, AntFTW said:

So I guess they're still together

I wouldn't be surprised if they're doing it just to spite the naysayers.

Still laughing at the report that Paulie didn't pass the psych evaluation to return to the show.

• Useful 2

From StopBeingPolite: Missing pieces of BMP history. Nothing says frustrating like saying, "Oh, I bet the fetish mission can be found on Archive," only to come up way short. Ditto RR9. I got back into reality TV in 2000, and Stee's recaps on Maximum Velocity Tour were hilarious. Ditto for Kim's essays on Extreme Challenge. People need to know the decline of Julie from the best reality cast member not on Survivor in 2000 to just another harpy. And the fetish mission shows a big part of that.

What other routes can be taken aside from Archive.org? I recapped four seasons of Challenge for a reality TV site. When I found the site went under, I used Archive to retrieve those recaps and post them on my blog. It would suck to lose entertaining recaps from MBTV/TWoP.

21 hours ago, millennium said:

Still laughing at the report that Paulie didn't pass the psych evaluation to return to the show.

BMP has a psych eval? For real? BMP? The same people that let Abram and Camila be on their shows?

• LOL 1
15 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

BMP has a psych eval? For real? BMP? The same people that let Abram and Camila be on their shows?

I got the impression it's part of the new and improved BMP that no longer takes risks as far as borderline personalities and alcoholic overindulgence go, but is perfectly willing to subject players to apparatus that may result in death or maiming, lol.

• LOL 1

There are no "vets" on that list.  I know they've all (I think) had seasons before so they are technically vets, but those are all newbies as in they haven't been around for more than a year or two.  I can absolutely see how this would be a breath of fresh air for a lot of viewers, but I need a stronger tie in.

I'm not going to say I'm not going to watch it, but I probably won't watch it in real time.  It'll probably be a season I binge at some point later when I'm sick in bed.

• Like 1

I don't actively dislike anyone on the list, which is kind of disappointing.  A good pre-hate is fun.  I'm glad Olivia is getting another shot.  I hope they keep Jay and Michelle away from each other.  They were a disaster together.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, lasu said:

There are no "vets" on that list.  I know they've all (I think) had seasons before so they are technically vets, but those are all newbies as in they haven't been around for more than a year or two.  I can absolutely see how this would be a breath of fresh air for a lot of viewers, but I need a stronger tie in.

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about that.

The oldest "vet" on the list is Melissa, who I'm kinda surprised to see on that list.

• Like 1

Season 39 cast.  Huge letdown.

They're all about the athletics.  Likelihood of memorable drama practically nil.

And shit, Hughie.   And Jay and Michelle.   The rest are like a rerun of Challenge 38 and World Championships.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, millennium said:

Why does The Challenge USA look more like The Challenge than The Challenge?

I posted a few other clips in The Challenge USA and it looks like another season of the flagship show... which is better than whatever the hell Season 1 of USA was.

Uh...I had managed to not watch that trailer before today.  Is that Fessy jumping for flags at the end?  Because blech.  I had not seen his name on the cast.  That might be reason enough to avoid the whole thing.  (Eh, I'm a sucker and I'll watch.   But I hate Fessy.)

On 9/6/2023 at 10:28 AM, AntFTW said:

I can't tell who it is in the video.  Oh I see @nuryskm so that is the same Nurys who was on a season or two ago and hooking up with Jordan?

Am I suppose to know who Alston is?  That can't be the old school Alston, right?

1 minute ago, aghst said:

I can't tell who it is in the video.  Oh I see @nuryskm so that is the same Nurys who was on a season or two ago and hooking up with Jordan?

Am I suppose to know who Alston is?  That can't be the old school Alston, right?

Alston is not important, just some random account reposting Nurys' video. You're thinking of Alton.

That is Nurys with Horacio.

Yeah Kaz is one of the hottest women to appear on the Challenge, with that sexy British accent to boot.

Wonder what kind of shape CT is in.  His acting didn't lead to more roles so he wants another bite at the apple but it's been a couple of years since he was last on the Challenge, so a couple years older and who knows what kind of shape.

Now there are more younger and bigger men in the Challenge so CT has to rely more on his wits.

4 hours ago, DEL901 said:

So they included Kaz as a Champ, even though she won the spinoffs and not the flagship show... but Michele is a regular contestant on season 39, and has competed on a spinoff. Since, she's a contestant on season 39 of non-winners, is that implying that she's not winning season 2 of USA? 😂

Edited by AntFTW