Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions Thread

potatoradio
Message added by Lady Calypso

Let's bring the discussion back to Unpopular Opinions about the show.  

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I was listening to two co-workers talking yesterday in the lunchroom...heard the phrases "dump water on himself" and "can't believe she's pregnant."  I asked if they were talking about "This is Us."  They were.  They asked me if I watched, and I said, "well, I don't want to upset you."  They said, "What do you mean?"  I said, "I hate-watch it so I can snark about it."  They said, "what is wrong with you?"

LOL...I really need to learn that you cannot talk about this show with just anyone.

I work with one of those.   I told her I just stopped watching it, so she'd shut up and stop gushing about how "real" and how "touching" it was.  It was hard to not throw up in my desk trashcan. 

• Love 4

I missed the scene of Toby when he poured the water on himself.  Just read about it.  I get so annoyed and fed up that I have to break away from time to time.  It's the only way that I can tolerate it really.  I changed the channel last night when Randall started oversharing with the store clerk.  I mean, I looked around to see where the foster child was.  I mean, it's TOO much.  lol  What are the writers trying to accomplish? 

• Love 1
On 10/27/2017 at 6:10 PM, ShadowFacts said:

The other day I saw the composer of the soundtrack on a show, can't remember which, where he said he cries sometimes while he is writing music for the show.  The crazy hooha has infected all corners of this.  I mean, on the one hand, I'm glad when a man can escape toxic masculinity and express emotion, but somehow this goes beyond that.  I don't care for it being monetized this much.   

Oh man, I'm so done with the "You're Gonna Cryyyyyyy!" stuff. And the soundtrack is really getting intrusive. It's too schmaltzy. There's this little guitar riff they play over and over and it's starting to make me twitch.
OK, I did tear up a bit at Rebecca meeting Baby Randall and Tess. That was well done. And being an adoptive mom, I could relate to meeting  your baby who is a stranger to you.

On 10/28/2017 at 1:31 PM, laurakaye said:

I was listening to two co-workers talking yesterday in the lunchroom...heard the phrases "dump water on himself" and "can't believe she's pregnant."  I asked if they were talking about "This is Us."  They were.  They asked me if I watched, and I said, "well, I don't want to upset you."  They said, "What do you mean?"  I said, "I hate-watch it so I can snark about it."  They said, "what is wrong with you?"

LOL...I really need to learn that you cannot talk about this show with just anyone.

I was just starting to wonder if we should start a Snark Watch thread, or do we just keep it in this thread. I'm not all the way to Hate Watch status yet, there are still some things I like about the show, but I'm definitely in Snark territory and I do enjoy snarking on this treacly show.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, ChromaKelly said:

I was just starting to wonder if we should start a Snark Watch thread, or do we just keep it in this thread. I'm not all the way to Hate Watch status yet, there are still some things I like about the show, but I'm definitely in Snark territory and I do enjoy snarking on this treacly show.

I feel fairly safe snarking on this show here in the UO thread.  I've posted snark in the regular threads and gotten called on it, which I totally understand.  I don't mean to take anything away from the people that enjoy the show...however, I have noticed more snark working its way into the show threads, too.  

Hands-down, the best actress in this last episode (I can't remember what it was called...should've been called "Ceiling Fan") was the infant that played Baby Tess.  Right on cue, directly after being birthed in the living room (because of course), she looked deep into Randall's eyes, just like the store clerk said she would!  Do they have an Emmy category for "Best Actress 6 Months Old or Younger?"  She's a lock!

And here's something I honestly don't understand about this show...are we supposed to like The Big Three?  Or at least empathize with them?  Because older Kevin is a pretty-boy jerk, I'm so over the way Randall talks to his wife, and Kate is still just made of cardboard.  Here's what I think is happening...the writers know that they are portraying these people as entitled and not especially nice, but when they finally reveal Jack's death (4 years from now), they expect us all to say, "Oh, so THAT'S why Kevin/Kate/Randall are so smug/bland/unstable!  It all makes sense, the pieces all fit!  BRAVO!!"  But the longer they wait to reveal what happened to Jack, they risk us (a) no longer caring about Jack, and (b) having our hate-o-meter pushed too far over to the wrong side to care about the kids as well.

Also, how many times did Kevin say the name "Tom Cruise?"  Like, 15?  Geez, we get it, Kevin's hot.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, laurakaye said:

And here's something I honestly don't understand about this show...are we supposed to like The Big Three?  Or at least empathize with them?  Because older Kevin is a pretty-boy jerk, I'm so over the way Randall talks to his wife, and Kate is still just made of cardboard.  Here's what I think is happening...the writers know that they are portraying these people as entitled and not especially nice, but when they finally reveal Jack's death (4 years from now), they expect us all to say, "Oh, so THAT'S why Kevin/Kate/Randall are so smug/bland/unstable!  It all makes sense, the pieces all fit!  BRAVO!!"  But the longer they wait to reveal what happened to Jack, they risk us (a) no longer caring about Jack, and (b) having our hate-o-meter pushed too far over to the wrong side to care about the kids as well.

I agree.  Except I don't think Kate is cardboard, she has become seething with hostility and is quite unlikable.  As to no longer caring about Jack, I'm getting there; in the Halloween episode he was just a caricature of a good, super fun, involved dad.  How can I take that seriously. 

• Love 7

So here's a double whammy...an unpopular opinion, which also shocks me that I am holding it: I think Miguel is now my favorite (adult) character.  I'm not saying he's stellar, but I've gotten to a point where I dislike everyone else more than I am annoyed by him.  

• Love 10

Speaking of Miguel, the only thing he has really done that annoyed me was being Pilgrim Rick.   He was nice to Kevin when Kevin came to him with his doubts about his play premiere.  He was the only adult (besides sophie) to stay and watch The Manny.  Other than that, we haven't seen that much of him in present time and it's been so long since we've seen him in past time, I can't even remember anything except that he allowed Jack to stay with him when Rebecca kicked him out.  Which is nice enough.

• Love 12
On 10/27/2017 at 9:19 AM, laurakaye said:

Love this post.  Not only are the writers and actors not allowing the viewers to feel their own feelings (I am reminded of Mandy Moore's statement that if we're not sobbing, we're "doing it wrong" and Milo offering to write us all a pass for a day off work) but there's the endless cast round-tables where they praise each other's awesomeness, and the interviews where Fogelman & Co. feel the need to point out all the deep character development that we haven't been shown because they can only fit so much greatness into one show.  This show is not as deep as they think it is, and the viewers are not nearly as blinded by tears as they think we are.

Yes!  It's like they have completely bought into their hype and are on a mission to get everyone in the "feels" every episode.  It's okay to have a couple of episodes that are really emotional, but can we not have episodes that are just normal episodes that aren't trying to make us cry?  Not a single episode has made me cry this season and I'm certain it's because I feel like this show has exploited the heartbreak to the point that I no longer care like I did last season.  It's just too much.

On 10/28/2017 at 1:18 PM, Winston9-DT3 said:

I was ok with the Hootie song, because I love Hootie, but also because I was pleasantly surprised they didn't pick something totally sappy and on-the-nose (if misinterpreted) like Buble's "Just Haven't Met You Yet".

Ugh.  I was so sure it was going to be Paul Anka's Having My Baby and I was prepared to throw up.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

Speaking of Miguel, the only thing he has really done that annoyed me was being Pilgrim Rick.   He was nice to Kevin when Kevin came to him with his doubts about his play premiere.  He was the only adult (besides sophie) to stay and watch The Manny.  Other than that, we haven't seen that much of him in present time and it's been so long since we've seen him in past time, I can't even remember anything except that he allowed Jack to stay with him when Rebecca kicked him out.  Which is nice enough.

I agree.  The only crimes that Miguel has actually committed are:

1 - Not being Jack

2 - Trying to be Pilgrim Rick

3 - Being a completely different person from younger Miguel (I guess we can blame Houston for that?)

What I find annoying about him is more about the writing than the performance or the actual character.  When I put that in line with how I'm feeling about all the other adult characters in this show right now, Miguel comes out smelling like roses.

• Love 3

No, I think they just fell out of love, didn't they?

I don't even fault Miguel the Pilgrim Rick thing.  He's a part of their family, he knew Jack, too, what's the big deal?  Is he supposed to not watch whatever movie they traditionally watch, too?  He's subjected to all the the idiocy of their holiday traditions, why not let him play.  

1 hour ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

Didn't Miguel cheat on his wife?  Or am I just pulling that out of thin air?

I thought so, too, but I don't know if there was an assumption on my part, or if something was said.

7 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I don't even fault Miguel the Pilgrim Rick thing.  He's a part of their family, he knew Jack, too, what's the big deal?  Is he supposed to not watch whatever movie they traditionally watch, too?  He's subjected to all the the idiocy of their holiday traditions, why not let him play.  

Because Randall and Kevin had been alternating that off and on since Jack's death.  To me, it's not a big deal that he asked, but he should have taken no for an answer.  He could make up his own thing.  Be Santa Rick at Christmas.  Or, the holiday armadillo:)

• Love 6

It's just a MMV thing.  For me, normal, polite adults wouldn't insult their mother and her husband by acting like some stupid, joking, role play moment had some sacred ritual meaning that only those two could participate in.   Is there some reason they can't all pass the hat around and play him?  What if Tess or Annie wants to play?  

How did Miguel not take no for an answer?  I thought he just looked a little sulky but I don't remember a lot.

I could well be forgetting Miguel cheating but I was curious so googled it.  All I saw was that Jack accused Miguel of it in "I Call Marriage" and Miguel vigorously denied it.    

10 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

How did Miguel not take no for an answer?  I thought he just looked a little sulky but I don't remember a lot.

I got the impression that he was asking every year.

10 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

All I saw was that Jack accused Miguel of it in "I Call Marriage" and Miguel vigorously denied it.   

Well, that was probably it, then. The accusation stayed in my head, but not the denial.

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I thought so, too, but I don't know if there was an assumption on my part, or if something was said.

Because Randall and Kevin had been alternating that off and on since Jack's death.  To me, it's not a big deal that he asked, but he should have taken no for an answer.  He could make up his own thing.  Be Santa Rick at Christmas.  Or, the holiday armadillo:)

Love the Friends reference.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

Ugh.  I was so sure it was going to be Paul Anka's Having My Baby and I was prepared to throw up.

I truly hope that somewhere, Fogelmen is reading this blog and kicking himself for not having thought of this song.

16 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

It's just a MMV thing.  For me, normal, polite adults wouldn't insult their mother and her husband by acting like some stupid, joking, role play moment had some sacred ritual meaning that only those two could participate in.   Is there some reason they can't all pass the hat around and play him?  What if Tess or Annie wants to play?  

+++1.  And since we don't know the oh-so-important backstory of Miggy and Becky, these little clues only serve to make Kevin look more and more like an ass for treating a fairly bland Miguel like an intruder into their family.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

No, I think they just fell out of love, didn't they?

In retrospect, I don't hate him for Pilgrim Rick either.  I do blame the writers, though....because that whole thing was just terribly written.

An addendum to my unpopular opinion: I'm now far more interested in finding out the rest of Miguel's story that I am about anything else here, including how Jack died.

I can't even believe I said that....who have I become????

• Love 9
1 hour ago, OtterMommy said:

In retrospect, I don't hate him for Pilgrim Rick either.  I do blame the writers, though....because that whole thing was just terribly written.

An addendum to my unpopular opinion: I'm now far more interested in finding out the rest of Miguel's story that I am about anything else here, including how Jack died.

I can't even believe I said that....who have I become????

I don't hate him over the Pilgrim Rick thing, but I do think he was annoying about the whole thing.   This was clearly a very important father to son hand-down to at least Kevin if not Randall.   A step parent shouldn't intrude too much on those kinds of things, IMO.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I don't hate him over the Pilgrim Rick thing, but I do think he was annoying about the whole thing.   This was clearly a very important father to son hand-down to at least Kevin and not Randall.   A step parent shouldn't intrude too much on those kinds of things, IMO.

Agreed, he was annoying and I think that was due, in part, to the writing.  I think, if I'm being generous to the writers, that it was also a way to show that not all is good between Miguel and his step-children.  But, in the spectrum of annoying, the Pilgrim Rick situation is at one end while we have Flashdance Toby, uber-"concerned" Randall, backstabbing Kevin, and support-group Kate at the other.

Given that, I can understand why my Miguel-affection is starting to grow.

• Love 3

Flashdance Toby mainly only bugged me because of the water he threw all over the place.  If he hadn't done that, it would have been much less egregious. 

But, yes, backstabbing, yelling at people in a support group, sleeping with married men, having affairs, throwing temper tantrums at work, are all worse than trying to be Pilgrim Rick for the day.

• Love 6

I totally agree with all those last few posts.  It was a clunky scene and designed to make Miguel look like a little clueless and intrusive and Kevin to look like a resentful ass.  

I don't know how I'd feel if my mother married my died-youngish father's best friend 8+ years later but I'd like to think I'd find it nicer than some stranger who didn't get the Saint Jack thing at all*. 

But I just finished the podcast Dirty John so I feel ten times more like Miguel is a pretty perfect stepfather.  Step-parent situations can be horrific.

* It's a good thing Rebecca did marry Miguel because what other man would put up with the shrine to Hub #1 that is a Pearson Thanksgiving?  

Edited by Guest

Reposting this here.

"Maybe I should go to the Unpopular opinions tread, but I feel like posting this here.

- I love this show as much as I did on Season 1. It is more disjointed and it has some problems, but it doesn't affect my love. Those characters are like family now. I want to see them and know what they're doing, and they never fail to touch me in some way.

- I love Kate with all my heart. I want to hug her and be her friend forever. I was immensely happy when we found out she was pregnant. I totally understand her hesitation to be happy or to tell others. I totally understand her reaction to Rebecca when she came to see her sing. I totally understand the phase she's going through right now. She's fighting with some huge inner demons. Not easy at all. Wish the authors would give her a proper job and a friend to confide into. Maybe Madison will solve that last part.

- I cried when Toby did his scene on the cafe. Yes, it was completely over the top, but so were the emotions he was feeling. Totally justified to go crazy. I was so happy for him and for Kate (for allowing that to happen), I burst into tears. I wanna cry right now just thinking about it. I bet Kate never thought she would get pregnant. I bet Toby never thought he would have a kid with a woman he loves. Such a wonderful moment for the both of them.

- I love every time there's a sex scene between Toby and Kate. Because yes, I do believe there's HUGE prejudice about fat people being able to do normal things that everyone does. I believe most people find the idea of fat people having sex gross, or undesirable, or not acceptable. How many scenes of fat people having sex, or even making out, have you seen in your life? Now compare it with the number of times you've seen thin couples having sex? Yes, that. So if the authors want to make a point there, so be it. Maybe it will make people aware that yes, fat people are just like them - only fatter..

- I love Deja. I wish someone would care about her. Really care about her, and not about some fantasy of being a foster parent."

• Love 3

I am trying to imagine Miguel or Beth or Toby or anyone else introducing a new must-have food to the table or claiming after the hike that now everyone had to play flag football or read a certain book out loud because that is how their family celebrates.  I really think heads would explode.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

* It's a good thing Rebecca did marry Miguel because what other man would put up with the shrine to Hub #1 that is a Pearson Thanksgiving?  

She also seems to frequently or always wear the necklace Jack gave her -- that would not sit well with many a second spouse. 

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I am trying to imagine Miguel or Beth or Toby or anyone else introducing a new must-have food to the table or claiming after the hike that now everyone had to play flag football or read a certain book out loud because that is how their family celebrates.  I really think heads would explode.

And that's what made the whole Pilgrim Rick thing so over-the top, IMO.  Family traditions are wonderful and meaningful, to be sure.  But to force those exact same traditions when the family itself has grown and changed tells me that no one in this family has gotten over Saint Jack, and Miguel is always going to be an afterthought.  My questions are, why does Rebecca allow this treatment of her husband, and why does Miguel even keep trying with her kids?  Altough, as @Winston9-DT3 pointed out, Miguel surely knew exactly what he was getting into with this bunch.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, laurakaye said:

And that's what made the whole Pilgrim Rick thing so over-the top, IMO.  Family traditions are wonderful and meaningful, to be sure.  But to force those exact same traditions when the family itself has grown and changed tells me that no one in this family has gotten over Saint Jack, and Miguel is always going to be an afterthought.  My questions are, why does Rebecca allow this treatment of her husband, and why does Miguel even keep trying with her kids?  Altough, as @Winston9-DT3 pointed out, Miguel surely knew exactly what he was getting into with this bunch.

I do think that part of Miguel's repeated (or at least one time) effort to "step into" some of the traditions is that it seems, from everything that we've been shown, that he had a strong and positive relationship with the kids at least up until Jack's death and possibly up to the point that he married Rebecca.  This isn't a case of him always being an interloper, but rather someone who was once a trusted adult friend in their lives who is now in a different role for them.

51 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

See, if they wanted to make everyone look unreasonable, that's what they should have done.  I wouldn't have any problem with Miguel suggesting a new food, or a new activity, or heck even a different movie.  but, somehow the Pilgirm Rick thing seems like an almost sacred rite, because that's not an activity or a food.  That's actually Jack.  If that makes any sense.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, CelticBlackCat said:

Maybe Miguel wanted to be Pilgrim Rick that year so that he would feel more included in the family festivities, rather than the add-on and disliked member that he had become.

Especially since the only ones who were really invested at that moment were the girls and they consider Miguel their grandfather.

• Love 5

I love Miguel. I was shocked to discover in the forums how most people hated him for marrying his dead best friend’s wife. I think he’s the most emotionally healthy character on the show. He was a great bff to Jack. He gave him great advice to appreciate her more when he started drinking the first time. Granted, mentioning her “great ass” wasn’t cool, but I just figured- they’re guys, drinking, guys say stupid shit that crosses the line sometimes. I can overlook that one line. The fact that he called Jack to apologize the next day for his advice, made me like him even more. Even though I don’t think an apology was necessary. He gave him possibly marriage saving advice.

I suspect he took care of the family after Jack’s death. 

Miguel did not cheat on his wife, as some people here have suggested. There was a weird story line of a flirty secretary. Jack asked him if he was cheating. And Miguel said no. I believe him because he doesn’t seem like the type to lie to his bff. The secretary also flirted inappropriately with Jack.

I did think it was super lame Miguel asked to be Pilgrim Rick. This I blame on the writers. I think the character of Miguel knows his place in the family and wouldn’t cross a line knowing the kids aren’t crazy about him and slightl mentally unbalanced.

So him and Rebecca get married 12 plus years after Jack’s death. Give them a break. I’m sure Jack would be okay with it.

From, Team Miguel ( except the make up job. Maybe they should try other make up artists? This one should maybe find another dream to follow).

• Love 9

So was the phrase "Crushing it" actually being said when they were supposedly in their 20's?  Aren't they close to 40 now?  

I remember using it literally, like to crush a soda can, or maybe "crushing" on a cute guy, but not to describe being really successful at something.  Did I miss it being a thing 15+ years ago?  I remember Rebel Wilson using it in "Pitch Perfect" a few years back.  

Kate looks horrible in bangs.  They should have done something else to try & show her as younger.  Because if anything, those flashbacks made me think she was older.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, leighdear said:

So was the phrase "Crushing it" actually being said when they were supposedly in their 20's?  Aren't they close to 40 now?  

I remember using it literally, like to crush a soda can, or maybe "crushing" on a cute guy, but not to describe being really successful at something.  Did I miss it being a thing 15+ years ago?  I remember Rebel Wilson using it in "Pitch Perfect" a few years back.  

Kate looks horrible in bangs.  They should have done something else to try & show her as younger.  Because if anything, those flashbacks made me think she was older.  

Kate looked like she was a wannabe (as in wannabe cool) with those bangs - as in she wanted to look younger, maybe so she'd look/feel more like a student (I forgot - was she taking a course online?).  Didn't work.  I certainly didn't look like that in 2008!  

• Love 2
23 hours ago, leighdear said:

Agree, the bangs and the heavy makeup aged her.  What bugged me (nit-picking big time here) was that her dark lipstick was still perfectly in place after her romp with the married guy, and that she remained flat on her back when they were talking.  I found that weird.

• Love 2
On 11/3/2017 at 3:32 PM, PRgal said:

Kate looked like she was a wannabe (as in wannabe cool) with those bangs - as in she wanted to look younger, maybe so she'd look/feel more like a student (I forgot - was she taking a course online?).  Didn't work.  I certainly didn't look like that in 2008!  

It looked more like a look from the nineties then 2008.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

It looked more like a look from the nineties then 2008.

Or at least 2000-2002ish.  I guess the writers didn't remember what people looked like in 2008 (ummm, GOOGLE??!!).  No way would they have been "too young to remember" - even interns (I can't see HOW an intern would be writing) would, despite being in middle school at the time.

8 hours ago, PRgal said:

Or at least 2000-2002ish.  I guess the writers didn't remember what people looked like in 2008 (ummm, GOOGLE??!!).  No way would they have been "too young to remember" - even interns (I can't see HOW an intern would be writing) would, despite being in middle school at the time.

Some girl posted a very good tutorial about what she considered 3 very popular looks from 2007:

Of course, clothing-wise they're pretty limited by what they can put on Kristy, but her make-up should have been brighter.

Edited by methodwriter85
12 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

course, clothing-wise they're pretty limited by what they can put on Kristy, but her make-up should have been brighter.

Many, many people go their entire lives without being on trend or wearing makeup at all much less following makeup trends.

• Love 9
12 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Many, many people go their entire lives without being on trend or wearing makeup at all much less following makeup trends.

I'm one of them.  My hair's been the same since high school (completely natural, just chop some of it off occasionally).  I don't even wear make up.  

• Love 5

Okay. I’m writing this here because I don’t know where else it should go. Probably not that unpopular, but I need to vent. Why is there no Toby thread??

Toby. Toby. Toby. I tried to like him. I think I did like him the first 2 episodes, but ever since his personality and behavior has been like a slow motion car crash for me. I almost can’t watch.

Is he a comedian in real life? I don’t even want to google the actor, because I can’t stand him or Toby. I waitressed at the Improv Comedy Club in college. I got to know a lot of comedians. They were all exhausting. Like, trying to be funny all the time, every single second in life. Even if they were genuinely funny, which a lot were not, always trying to be funny seemed inauthentic. Their comedy was masking something/everything. They didn’t seem real or vulnerable. Much like Toby’s character. I find him to be the least authentic of all of them because 100% of his energy is trying to get a laugh out of someone. And it’s not for the benefit of the other person, it’s because Toby needs approval/the laugh.

i do actually think he says funny things but find him to be exhausting to the point I don’t want to watch his scenes.

I don’t buy him in the IT job with the Hawaiin shirt. Wtf? He should be in insurance or manage a Hertz car rental. 

The sex on the desk scene. Ugh. Not funny.

The pregnancy happy song cafe scene- not funny on so many different levels. I’m shocked these writers think that’s cute or funny. I suspect many of them are failed comics projecting themselves onto Toby’s character.

Ok. Rant over. Thanks for listening.

• Love 11

No, for real, I think Tony is basically a Manic Pixie Dream Girl/Boy, just not in a body that looks like either Zoey Deschanel or Ansel Elgort. Everything about this guy screams someone who belongs in a romantic comedy movie. The problem is that someone who makes grand gestures and big flowery speeches for love (as well as quirky public dances) works in a 90-minute movie. It doesn't work in an on-going series.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

No, for real, I think Tony is basically a Manic Pixie Dream Girl/Boy, just not in a body that looks like either Zoey Deschanel or Ansel Elgort. Everything about this guy screams someone who belongs in a romantic comedy movie. The problem is that someone who makes grand gestures and big flowery speeches for love (as well as quirky public dances) works in a 90-minute movie. It doesn't work in an on-going series.

Or, an ongoing series highlights what an obnoxious character that would be in real life. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

Or, an ongoing series highlights what an obnoxious character that would be in real life. 

I felt flat-out embarrassed for Chris Sullivan in that coffee shop scene. I get that he's playing the jolly fat guy, and Chris definitely has to appreciate being a guy who has a main role on on a big t.v. show, but being a nearly 40-year old man dancing around a coffee shop like you're Zoey Deschannel in a movie where she makes the lead feel truly alive has to be embarrassing as hell to play.

I would get the way Toby acts if he were still a young buck, but he's not a 21-year old kid who likes to do YouTube pranks for a living. It'd have to get really old and obnoxious on a guy who's knocking on 40's door.

And that's kind of the thing with Kate. She's written, and says, that she loves what Toby does and that she just loves their romantic comedy romance. But Chrissy seems like she wants to constantly roll her eyes at Toby. The whole relationship feels very much "show", not "tell." And Toby as a character doesn't seem to have any other purpose than telling Kate how amazing and sexy she is.

• Love 6

I'd like to see that famous scene of Toby that so many are talking about.  It happened when I had to change the channel, because, rarely can I make it through an entire episode that I don't have to take a break.  lol  I like Hootie, so, I may like it more than most people.  I haven't been able to find a link for it though.  Even on You tube.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe

Nice Kevin.   Just throw something shiny at Sophie and it will distract her from how big of a tool you are.  Better yet, throw THREE shiny things to overwhelm her with your "generosity".   

And since you say that's how your dad handled disagreements with your mom, you definitely show that the douche didn't fall far from the bag. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, leighdear said:

Just throw something shiny at Sophie and it will distract her from how big of a tool you are.  Better yet, throw THREE shiny things to overwhelm her with your "generosity".   

Heh.  I may be the only mother in the world who didn't allow her kid to watch, "'The Flintstones," and it was because of that very thing. Fred was always screwing up and then throwing a ring or a mink coat at his wife after which everything would be fine.  Because women are just that shallow and materialistic.

• Love 2

Heh, the good old days of tv, when women were window dressing.  At least Fred wasn't threatening to punch Wilma in the face, like Ralph Kramden, which at the time people found so funny it's considered an iconic sitcom one-liner.  "One of these days, Alice, POW, straight to the moon!"  Complete with clenched fist waved under her chin even!  

Nice Kevin.   Just throw something shiny at Sophie and it will distract her from how big of a tool you are.  Better yet, throw THREE shiny things to overwhelm her with your "generosity".

I thought he was going to propose. They were engagement rings. He was getting three so that she could pick the one she liked. He was as high as a kite in that store and that made sense to him.

It also made sense that he had to commit to her because she was mad. This was Chandler from Friends proposing to Monica in Season 5 to try to fix the relationship he thought was broken.

Kevin is not thinking rationally and thinks he's worthless. It was a Hail Mary Pass at saving the relationship, but he realized at the hospital that he would just make Sophie's life a nightmare, so he broke up with her.

Of course, he should have told her why he was doing it, but the non-rational high he's on isn't allowing him to make wise decisions.  And of course, getting married at this point is also a terrible idea.

• Love 8

Sophie did state to Kevin that "you're spiraling" and the state he presented himself at her door all sweaty and anxious and talking nonsense (I bought three, etc.) should have made Sophie realize there is something terribly wrong with Kevin, not that he's just that jerk who showed up at her doorstep again after being divorced and talked himself back into her life.  She's supposed to be a nurse.  How can she not see it?  Why didn't she ask him to come in when he arrived?

I know, it's a plot device to have Sophie slam the door in his face never to be seen again until she's no longer in real life pregnant.

• Love 11