Type keyword(s) to search

"Worst Bakers In America" Spinoff Talk

The mugging for the camera was over the top even for this show and I could have lived without seeing Carla and her creepy crush on Bobby Flay ever again. 

I just can't believe Kimberly is that stupid and annoying in real life and still survived to adulthood. 

So many people seemed to clearly be exaggerating their struggles that I didn't find it even remotely believable. That said I know myself and that I have a problem so I will probably continue to watch.

• Love 6

Ditto to all that.  ^^^^^^^^^^^  I think this show is strictly for entertainment purposes and has given up even pretending that it's on the level.  It amuses me so I don't care.  In fact, I like it better when they're not pretending to be legitimate contestants - goofy but less phony.  I had a soft spot for David the first time he was on so I was oddly happy to see him again.  Carla not so much.  Not at all in fact.  I like Duff and Lorraine and thought they did a good job with the nonsense.

• Love 1

I did laugh out loud when the one baketestant (who I otherwise disliked for acting so dumb for the cameras) was screaming, "how do you get the sugar out of chocolate?!?!"

Oh, and Lorraine's words of praise:  "The cake.  It's actually a rectangle!"

Edited by Thalia
add quote from Lorraine
7 hours ago, Thalia said:

And that was their main criteria for choosing her #1, and Lorraine picking her for her team. How low is this bar you're setting, guys?

(To be fair, there was that one guy that made a rectangle cake and then used a pizza cutter to try and shape it into a circle...)

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Thalia said:

I did laugh out loud when the one baketestant (who I otherwise disliked for acting so dumb for the cameras) was screaming, "how do you get the sugar out of chocolate?!?!"

I also laughed at Duff who used finger quotes when addressing the group as "bakers".

• Love 3

It's a shame the "bakers" are almost all obnoxious, because I'm enjoying Lorraine. I've always liked her as a judge, but here, more of her personality is showing here and she seems to be having fun. But I don't think she can offset all the mugging and shrieking (it seems even worse here than on Worst Cooks, but maybe I've blocked it out) for me.  Might give it one more shot.  

• Love 3

Enjoyed Duff and the air quotes around "bakers." Enjoy seeing more of Lorraine.  I'd rather the "bakers" weren't so screamingly over the top and unbelievable, but my expectations are low and it's mindlessly entertaining enough.

• Love 1

I had to shut it off after 5 minutes.  Cooking is a survival skill; baking is not.  There are lots of mixes out there to use if you have a little skill, and lots of professionals if you have none.  Mr. Goldman and Ms. Pascal are lovely people and surely deserve better.  

• Love 1

It was a bad caricature. I was embarrassed for the "contestants." Then I saw the one guy (the Jerry Lewis wanna-be) from The Worst Cooks in America and I was embarrassed for him. I was embarrassed for the judges/mentors. I was embarrassed for all of us that were watching. I only made it through the first round only because I had it on as background noise while I was actually, um, cooking.

RIP, Food Network. RIP.

• Love 1

What's with the one guy and his "delicates?" I noticed that last week.  It makes him sound like he's about to handle lingerie or something equally creepy (for a baking show.)

I think the two blonde contestants on each team as well as the Asian-Aussie lady on Lorraine's team are fakes and actually know how to bake.  They are coming across as too competent way too soon.

I really didn't need to  see David and Carla (Flay!) again.  David has a little bit of charm, but Carla is too much.  Guess Lorraine didn't have a soft spot for the "man bun" like Chef Anne did last season on WCIA.  Buh-bye! 

What was the deal with "wrapper-gate?" Did the one guy with the shitty cupcakes try to fake/switch his out with the other guy whose cupcakes were actually good? I didn't quite follow.

I wasn't paying close attention to the kids, but at first glance I thought they were Jade DeLaurentiis and her cousin Julian from Giada's show. Now that would have been funny. Those two kids have pretty sophisticated palates for their age and could probably pick apart those cupcakes with skill equal to Duff and Lorraine! (Plus, they are better behaved and more respectful to adults!)

• Love 2

I don't get the "delicates" bit either.  All I can think of is that using that word is a family thing.

I think Carla is a plant.  She is just too OTT to be believable ........ or maybe her ridiculous carrying on about Bobby Flay last time got her on another show which was her goal to begin with.

I think my favorite is the fellow who works in a cemetery - can't think of his name.  I have a soft spot for David from last time although I can't imagine why.  

• Love 3
23 hours ago, grisgris said:

What's with the one guy and his "delicates?" I noticed that last week.  It makes him sound like he's about to handle lingerie or something equally creepy (for a baking show.)

I think the two blonde contestants on each team as well as the Asian-Aussie lady on Lorraine's team are fakes and actually know how to bake.  They are coming across as too competent way too soon.

I really didn't need to  see David and Carla (Flay!) again.  David has a little bit of charm, but Carla is too much.  Guess Lorraine didn't have a soft spot for the "man bun" like Chef Anne did last season on WCIA.  Buh-bye! 

What was the deal with "wrapper-gate?" Did the one guy with the shitty cupcakes try to fake/switch his out with the other guy whose cupcakes were actually good? I didn't quite follow.

I wasn't paying close attention to the kids, but at first glance I thought they were Jade DeLaurentiis and her cousin Julian from Giada's show. Now that would have been funny. Those two kids have pretty sophisticated palates for their age and could probably pick apart those cupcakes with skill equal to Duff and Lorraine! (Plus, they are better behaved and more respectful to adults!)

Small correction, if I may? I'm 99.9% sure that Jade's legal last name is De Laurentiis-Thompson (Thompson being her father's last name), not just De Laurentiis (which may not have a space in it; I keep forgetting if there is 1 or not). Her birth name is Jade Marie De Laurentiis-Thompson, Jade being the Anglicized version (or a form of it) of her mother's name, Giada. But I get that De Laurentiis identifies whose kid she is better than Thompson does.

I have a huge, fairly recent crush on Duff, so I'll watch any show I can find him in right now. I didn't really understand the wedding cake topper thing. Aren't those usually made of plastic? Did the coaches even show the contestants how to use fondant or did they just find the stuff at their stations? Some contestant-related questions/observations:

I adore Carey; he is definitely the funniest contestant. I felt sorry for him when he was telling his 30th birthday cake baking story and it ended with his girlfriend breaking up with him that night. Judy and those songs. She narrates her life through song, doesn't she? The black outlining of Stephanie's top teeth. Is kinda gross, but maybe now she'll be able to go to a dentist?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AlliePK said:

Carey and his "I'm pretty sure I'm not making a bagel.  I'm pretty sure I'm making a layer cake, sir" cracked me up.

I haven't decided if I want him as a boyfriend or a best friend...or both!

I love Carey too.  He's just funny without coming across as forced.  I wonder what he actually does for the cemetery he works for.  And I like David.  He's an odd duck but he cracks me up.  I have a feeling that he's much smarter than he acts.

• Love 3

I loved Carey's velvet jacket. Cannot stand Carla. I can't tell if the editing is showing her as more obnoxious than she really is or if we're really experiencing what the other contestants have to work around; if I was one of the contestants I think I would blame my inability to focus and get stuff done/correct on her.

• Love 1

I can't stand Carla either.  I suspect that FN originally got her from some place like central casting and she's trying very hard to become a reality TV "star."  I have no reason for thinking that except that I find it hard to believe that anyone is that loud and ridiculous and unaware of self in real life.  Also, the producers let her get away with it during her first season and haven't made her tone it down this time so they must be OK with whatever they think her obnoxious behavior brings to the show.

I was sorry to see Carey go.  Cooking under hot lights in a velvet jacket didn't seem very sensible but I enjoyed him.

I like both Duff and Lorraine and I like them together.  They play off each other well.  I think Lorraine must have almost as many teeth as Giada but, when she smiles, she looks natural whereas Giada looks like she practices in a mirror.

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 3:05 PM, mlp said:

I can't stand Carla either.  I suspect that FN originally got her from some place like central casting and she's trying very hard to become a reality TV "star."  I have no reason for thinking that except that I find it hard to believe that anyone is that loud and ridiculous and unaware of self in real life.  Also, the producers let her get away with it during her first season and haven't made her tone it down this time so they must be OK with whatever they think her obnoxious behavior brings to the show.

It just occurred to me that maybe they're keeping her around so that they know where she is and Bobby Flay doesn't have to file an actual restraining order...

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Why does one of the Worst Bakers in America watch Ashley Adams clips "all the time"? There are a lot of things I'm bad at. One of the reasons I'm bad at them is because I'm not constantly watching instructional videos about them.

I was really surprised that Carla was chosen for the finale.  I didn't like Stephanie either, but she was the lesser of the two evils.

I was so hoping that we'd see a David-Carla showdown.

Now I want to go make some cream puffs!

• Love 3

I understand completely! I didn't see him on his original season, so this was my first time watching him. At first I thought he was super annoying and his voice was horrible, but then there was something about him that made me change my mind. He ended up being my favorite (along with Carey)

• Love 1

I liked David. He was so quirky and ambiguous. Not that it mattered, but I could never get a read on him. All I could figure out was that he didn't like kids and had a French bulldog.  I know from his other appearance that he's a theatre usher in Vegas.  I also got the impression that he had more hidden cooking skills than what he let on.  It was kind of hard to believe that it was a fluke that he could pull together diverse flavors so well and excel. ???? Stranger things have happened.  I was still wishing for a Carla vs. David finale.

• Love 2

David and Carey were my favorites too.  I also had a soft spot for David left over from Worst Cooks.  He's quite the character but not obnoxious about it.  I was hoping he would make the finale with anyone except Carla who is beyond obnoxious.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Well, crap.  I could see Carla's win coming several episodes back when I realized that Lorraine was being weirdly tolerant of her behavior but I kept hoping I was reading that wrong.  Her cake looked like something Christina Tosi would come up with (not a compliment).  

I felt sorry for Samantha.  She looked absolutely devastated.  

The judges' comments were clearly rehearsed but I thought they all did a lot better than the judges for Worst Cooks.  

• Love 2

I thought there was way much too much involvement from Duff and Lorraine on the finale. If these two truly are the best of the bunch, they should have learned enough techniques to be able to come up with their own ideas and to execute those ideas completely independently. With Duff and Lorraine hand-holding them every step of the way, it was hard to tell how much was really the contestant's contribution and how much was the chef's. I strongly suspect that Samantha would have won fairly easily if they'd been forced to work without any guidance.

Edited by ElleBee
  • Love 5

So we all know FN has a penchant for recycling contestants over and over ad nauseum.  Guess that means we'll be subjected to Carla's screechy antics sometime soon.  I'm not a fan of Bobby Flay's but I hope he has the restraining order filed before he has to do any media events with that nut job.  I think I wore out my remote's mute button on Carla. I don't know how anyone tolerated her for any length of time.  I can appreciate someone with an upbeat personality, but Carla is full stop obnoxious.  I would have folded up my apron Day 1 and told the producers I'd rather walk out a free woman than be arrested for assault. 

• Love 4

Ok ... so screechy Carla won this and screechy Tregaye won Next Food Network Star.  Hope to never see either of them again on my TV.  Maybe they can co-host an online show that no-one will watch.

• Love 2

I didn't like either one of the finalists, so I didn't care who won.  I was pulling for Lorraine, but not necessarily through Carla.  I have enough of smug Duff, although he's not nearly as abrasive as Chef Anne.

Clearly, somebody has put Carla up to her behavior.  I cannot believe that a 50-year-old woman would carry on that way. She acted like she'd been regularly helping herself to her kid's ritalin or something. Did she actually say that a couple of ingredients were "making love" like she and Bobby Flay would?  I can never un-hear that.  At the end she mentioned a husband, but in other episodes she's mentioned being divorced three times.  Oh, well ...

Bobby Flay's attorneys need to draft a C&D letter STAT!

I don't like vibrantly colored cake layers, so neither of the final showpieces wowed me.  I fail to see why go to the trouble if it's going to be covered by icing or fondant.

Glad that's over so we can move on to holiday "Cake Wars."

• Love 1