Type keyword(s) to search

Julie Chen: It's Cool If You Call Her Chenbot

• Start Topic

Julie Chen serves as co-host and moderator of THE TALK, CBS’s Daytime Emmy Award-nominated talk show that examines topical events and contemporary issues through the eyes of five female hosts. Chen hosts the show alongside Sara Gilbert, Sharon Osbourne, Sheryl Underwood and Aisha Tyler. In addition, Chen hosts the hit summer reality series BIG BROTHER.

• Love 1

True story.  I (unprovably) came up with the Chenbot nickname, under a different alias, years ago.  Can't prove it though!  Ah, my one shot at fame denied...

Anyway, as much as I love the snark potential with her, and always have, it's still been my contention (especially since the debacle of last year) that BB really needed a reboot this year that INCLUDED a new host.  Someone young and actually convincingly enthusiastic about the goings-on. Someone (dare I use the inherently lame term to describe it's own opposite)... "Hip".

That said, since we are stuck with this Host For Life (or until Les Moonves leaves CBS Corp.) at the very least we can ramp up the sarcastic appreciation of what the Chenbot DOES bring.

• Love 1

at the very least we can ramp up the sarcastic appreciation of what the Chenbot DOES bring

I love her thinly-veiled condescension.  She has this thing she does that's like a two-second pause where she catches herself from saying what she's really thinking.  And she smiles while she does it, which makes it the journalistic equivalent of saying "Bless your heart."

• Love 2

It's been funny to see her style evolution. First season, she was wearing cardigans and had very "Mom next door look." Season 2, and for a few years after that, it was often leather pants. Now it seems like they have her wearing this couture dresses- it's been like that since at least season 12.

I loved her long, curled, fake ponytail last night.  Why can't I find faux hair like that?

She's rich.  Les is even richer.  Maybe that faux hair is super-duper exclusive.

(edited)

Aww, the cobra peeking out from the back of Julie's head is so cute! Can he become the house pet and be sicced on whoever America chooses?

I like that idea, as long as the cobra is commanded with a call of "weave tail attack!!" in a tone reminiscent of power rangers

I loved her long, curled, fake ponytail last night.  Why can't I find faux hair like that?

It didn't look like super high quality hair to me, I think you could probably find something at a local wig and hair shop.  Whenever I ask my stylist to put in a ponytail, I buy some brand called Zury hair, its like 30 bucks a pack and you can curl it with a curling iron.  I actually think a lot of the stores now sell the ponytail with the drawstring.  I don't say any of this to be condescending, but just in the event that you weren't being snarky, and actually wanted a ponytail.  When I first wanted a ponytail I had no idea where to begin.

Edited by RealityGal

I loved the pink number she had on tonight. I found it very reminiscent of the 80s. To complete the look, all I wanted was a chunky, black leather belt, with a teal buckle.

Or a teal-colored butterfly belt buckle in cloisonne.

I was not a fan of the weird peplum top she wore on episode 1 this year. I kept thinking she had a weird jutting hipbone. Which she probably does because she looked super skinny, but it was the shirt.

However, she seemed less robotic. I think she kind of giggled at one point as the camera was panning away.

I was not a fan of the weird peplum top she wore on episode 1 this year. I kept thinking she had a weird jutting hipbone. Which she probably does because she looked super skinny, but it was the shirt.

Well, it's the first time in a couple of years she hasn't been pregnant, so....  :)

Well, it's the first time in a couple of years she hasn't been pregnant, so....  :)

Hi Nashville!  She only has one son, Charlie who is about 8 years old.  

Hi Nashville!  She only has one son, Charlie who is about 8 years old.

Wasn't she pregnant last year, or year before last? I know I remember at least one season in the last 2-3 when she was wearing (very fashionable) maternity clothes.

Wasn't she pregnant last year, or year before last? I know I remember at least one season in the last 2-3 when she was wearing (very fashionable) maternity clothes.

I think a crash course in current fashion is needed here.   

• Love 1

I think a crash course in current fashion is needed here.

It would be wasted on me; fashion is one of those things to which I pay absolutely no attention whatsoever. I was simply giving the divine Ms. Chen the benefit of the doubt.

It's alright Nashville, I remember Julie being pregnant seemingly recently, but apparently we are wrong.

Just another reflection of my age, I reckon. After you reach a certain age (as opposed to an UNcertain age...?), past events fall into one of an (ever-shrinking) set of groupings:

• Yesterday
  • Last week
  • Last month
  • A few months back
  • Last year
  • Last year or so
  • A few years back
  • Back when
  • WAY back when
I guess my "last year or so" is blurring into my "a few years back". Mea culpa.
  • Love 2

I thought they were black stilettos. But what do I know. I'm a guy.

Same here. And you're right. The notion of Julie Chen and stilettos just go together so well because when you put the Chenbot up on stilettos, she... they... she just....

I'm sorry. What was I saying...?

4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Why the fuck would they fire Julie for this? I don't get it.

It's generally accepted that the only reason Julie has two shows on CBS is because she's married to the boss.  For example, what if some of the head honchos at CBS (not Moonves, of course) feel even though she's done a good job on Big Brother, someone else could bring in bigger ratings as host?  What if it's felt that someone else would be better suited on The Talk, or would be a better moderator than Julie?  A change will never happen as long as Moonves is in charge.    

Julie's set for life on CBS as long as her hubby is there.  

• Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, Wings said:

This is all bullshit.  Me too has gone too far.  

Really. That he held down one of the women and tried to mount her until she told him no isn't serious?

This is not some dirt rag gossip stories. 

This story was researched and fact checked by the editors of the NY Times.  It was written by the Pulitzer Prize winning Times reporter who broke the Harvey Weinstein story.  He didn't put this together over night.  He has been working on it carefully for months.  He has 6 cases documented and well over 30 other people to back their stories and the whole culture under Mooves at CBS. 

This is the real deal.

Edited by green
  • Love 15