Type keyword(s) to search

This Is Us In The Media

Artsda
  • Start Topic

10 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

I hope he's wrong about how he thinks Jack dies.  I'm sorry, but that just doesn't hold water.

I feel it's a given the show is going to try and do wayyyyy too much regarding Jack's death, when really they could have just already revealed he had an illness or something and called it a day. So I could totally see them going there. This is a case of not knowing to quit when you're ahead, I think.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, HeyThere83 said:

I feel it's a given the show is going to try and do wayyyyy too much regarding Jack's death, when really they could have just already revealed he had an illness or something and called it a day. So I could totally see them going there. This is a case of not knowing to quit when you're ahead, I think.

I agree that I can see them doing it...I just hope they don't.  I can't see at this point how they would make that work (ASHES!) and, if they do decide to do that, it makes me think that they had some other idea and changed it.  And, yeah, they don't know how to quit....

Ugh!  I think the discussion here is valid, but the finale really upset my trust with this show.

• Love 1

I think signs point to a 1999 death so that's what... 4 more years after this fight for them to mine that marriage?  

I can see them explaining the ashes in a 9/11 story by some hammy scene where teen Kate cries that she has nothing left of him and a caring firefighter delivers her ashes from whichever site he was killed at, which she puts in an urn for posterity.  But like I said above, I think it'd be awful and there are too many other problems with that explanation.  

17 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I'm totally with him on the troubles with the writing as a whole.  

Not the 9/11 thing, though.  They've repeatedly used the word "teens" about the funeral scene.  Though I guess that could be intentional misdirection.  But why would they have ashes?  Why use teen actors for 21-year-old stand-ins?  Why would a national hero have a tiny, intimate memorial?  Why would Kevin not know why he got rid of his model planes?  Plus the cheese factor.  And it may have been 16 years ago but its still too soon to mine that for this, imo.

Ugh, yeah, all of this. It makes no sense with the timelines we've (sort of) been given, or the things you've mentioned. And it's a horrible, cloying, manipulative, stupid awful idea.

So it's probably exactly what they're planning.

• Love 4
On 3/19/2017 at 11:04 AM, Winston9-DT3 said:

This says there are two new co-show runners for season 2 and they're two different people from the two that came up above when I googled the show's writers.  http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/is-us-elevates-duo-showrunners-season-2-983322

6 hours ago, jhlipton said:

They traded two black showrunners for two white showrunners -- ones who were working on a How I Met Your Mother spinoff (now not likely to happen)..  That explains a lot.

5 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I haven't watched any of the prior shows this duo wrote on:  Grandfathered,

I watched a few episodes of Grandfathered.  I really wanted to like it because it had 3 Women of Color and none was a stereotype.  But the "humor" was sooooooooooooo very bad!

On 3/19/2017 at 0:32 AM, HeyThere83 said:

I just busted up laughing!!!

The thought of them all sitting around at table reads together bawling their eyes out is really, really stupid.

Like, I get that they're trying to stoke up excitement and demand for the show, but it's just starting to come across as fake. It kind of reminds me a little of what I hated about Gilmore Girls- the early episodes were quirky, but there was still some kind of reality. But because the show was praised so much for their quirkiness and it was told that was what was charming about it, everyone just went Quirky McQuirky, all the time. In this case, it's Saddy McSadderson.

• Love 6
40 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Yeah, I don't want to watch anyone have sex, but two obese people wouldn't offend me more than any other people.

I don't mind sex scenes as long as they are done tastefully and, really, it wouldn't offend me to see Toby and Kate--except I'm not sure that Toby can do anything tastefully.

• Love 7

I'm fine with sex scenes and none of them will be explicit, this is network TV. I'm just not confident they'd make it a sex scene that wasn't about being fat. It shouldn't be that, since clearly these two are having plenty of sex and any weirdness or awkwardness perhaps relating to weight should be (mostly) past, but that doesn't mean this show wouldn't mine it for laughs or pathos, all due to the fat, since that's all they write for Kate.

• Love 4

I don't think I'd know a well-done sex scene if I saw one, I don't see many and haven't seen one that I thought was very interesting or tasteful.  I am into this show more for its family relationships anyway.  Plus, I have already found Toby's sex talk un-amusing, so I really don't need to see him in action. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, luna1122 said:

I'm fine with sex scenes and none of them will be explicit, this is network TV. I'm just not confident they'd make it a sex scene that wasn't about being fat. It shouldn't be that, since clearly these two are having plenty of sex and any weirdness or awkwardness perhaps relating to weight should be (mostly) past, but that doesn't mean this show wouldn't mine it for laughs or pathos, all due to the fat, since that's all they write for Kate.

Did you watch the first season of Scandal? There was a steamy love scene between Kerry Washington and Tony Goldwyn. No nudity, but there were bare legs and torsos, orgasm faces, and..uh...plenty of pelvic gyrations. I generally don't like love scenes at all. They're usually not necessary. And, yeah, a love scene wouldn't fit this show. 

3 minutes ago, topanga said:

Did you watch the first season of Scandal? There was a steamy love scene between Kerry Washington and Tony Goldwyn. No nudity, but there were bare legs and torsos, orgasm faces, and..uh...plenty of pelvic gyrations. I generally don't like love scenes at all. They're usually not necessary. And, yeah, a love scene wouldn't fit this show. 

I don't  watch Scandal, but yeah, there are semi explicit love scenes on network TV now. but not ACTUALLY explicit. I love sex/love scenes myself, IF i'm into the couple, if there is chemistry, if I personally find them attractive, if it's sexy (whatever that means for each viewer). This couple doesn't meet that criteria for me, so I don't care about seeing it, but they might for someone else. Again, tho, I'm just afraid they'd play it for laughs or great big FEELS, and be creepy about it. But this show hasn't really had any sex scenes, or even protracted love scenes, so far.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

I don't think I'd know a well-done sex scene if I saw one, I don't see many and haven't seen one that I thought was very interesting or tasteful.  I am into this show more for its family relationships anyway.  Plus, I have already found Toby's sex talk un-amusing, so I really don't need to see him in action. 

++++1,000,000,000.

Anyone else get ZERO chemistry between Kate and Toby?  I don't even buy them as friends, let alone anything else.  Toby is kind of a pushy jerk, and Kate is so cardboard that I don't even know if she finds Toby...amusing?  Complicated?  Handsome?  Hot?  I got nothing.

• Love 5

I think sex scenes bother me because I feel like if they dialed it way back, it might be sexy.  But I feel like that would take creativity and time to pull off so they instead go the cheap/easy route and write this over and over:  

Couple is overcome with passion and duck into the nearest closet, restroom or alley and within 2 seconds he's making penetration motions and the women is moaning in orgasmic ecstasy.  

I know they can't show realistic sexual timelines and actions but I personally would rather see a well-written and acted sexy dialog or even a shadowy hint of a real encounter done in flashes than the closet hump scene.  I feel like it's the tv equivalent of a bodice ripper romance novel, though I bet those are even 100 times more sexy than the restroom bang.  Heh.  

I think Scandal helped pioneer the style of scene I hate but I do think Kerry Washington and Tony Goldwyn have waaaaaayyy more chemistry than Kate and Toby or even Jack and Rebecca.  

Ugh why did I just read this article!?!?

Some of what I just read....

Milo Ventimiglia said that fans shouldn’t be surprised that the show ended with a shocking twist and without finding out what happened to Jack. He told the outlet that fans should “come to expect” surprises in the show and that things aren’t always as they seem.

Cast matriarch Mandy Moore agreed and admitted that she wasn’t sure why fans were so obsessed with what really happened to Jack.

“I’m really proud of the work we did and proud of the episode, and anytime anybody asked me, I said, you’re not going to find out how Jack dies. I don’t know why people are so fixated on that!”

Someone needs to remind them that the TIU twitter account started this nonsense with that dumb #whereisjack hashtag.

Someone also needs to remind them that Kate is written to be all secretive about her father's death, a funeral flashback scene was shown with no explanations, Kate still watches football with his urn, etc. etc.

GEE WHY ARE THE FANS SO FIXATED ON THAT?

• Love 9
25 minutes ago, HeyThere83 said:

Milo Ventimiglia said that fans shouldn’t be surprised that the show ended with a shocking twist and without finding out what happened to Jack. He told the outlet that fans should “come to expect” surprises in the show and that things aren’t always as they seem.

Cast matriarch Mandy Moore agreed and admitted that she wasn’t sure why fans were so obsessed with what really happened to Jack.

“I’m really proud of the work we did and proud of the episode, and anytime anybody asked me, I said, you’re not going to find out how Jack dies. I don’t know why people are so fixated on that!”

Someone needs to remind them that the TIU twitter account started this nonsense with that dumb #whereisjack hashtag.

Someone also needs to remind them that Kate is written to be all secretive about her father's death, a funeral flashback scene was shown with no explanations, Kate still watches football with his urn, etc. etc.

What really gets me here is the smugness the actors seem to have (at least in this article).  It sort of sends the message that the viewers aren't smart enough to get what they are trying to do.  Too bad they don't seem to realize that viewers (er, some of them) ARE smart enough to turn the channel if they are strung along too long or jerked around by a show.

• Love 9
32 minutes ago, HeyThere83 said:

You know, I really used to like Milo and Mandy as people. Now? They can kindly fuck off. 

Mandy, if you don't know why the fans are so obsessed with Jack's death after the show heavily promoting Jack's death being the big mystery and the show continuing to drag out his death for possibly "seasons", then I don't know what to tell you. 

Plus, I swear there was one interview where they specifically stated that we'd get a little more information into Jack's death in the finale. I didn't see any information given. 

I think the show's afraid that if they give away the big mystery now, nobody will continue to tune in. Oh, how wrong they are since it's probably going to drop ratings the longer they hold back. They shouldn't have made it a big deal in the first place, and they shouldn't be surprised that people are reacting to that by also making it a big deal.

• Love 7
On 3/22/2017 at 9:33 AM, topanga said:

I'm not big on sex scenes at all. Although a Beth-Randall love scene (just the beginnings of it) might not be bad. 

There was the beginning of a Beth-Randall scene in episode 3 or so.  As I recall, Beth is in the tub and Randall is on the rim.  He makes some comment about how tired he is, she flirts and he's "Alrighty then!"  Someone who remembers the scene better can fill in the details....

21 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Couple is overcome with passion and duck into the nearest closet, restroom or alley and within 2 seconds he's making penetration motions and the women is moaning in orgasmic ecstasy.  

I hate this, especially when it makes no sense for the characters (I'm looking at you, Isabell from Greenleaf).  People from the past (Amara on Legends of Tomorrow, HG Wells on Time After Time and Ichabod Crane on Sleepy Hollow) should be amazed and delighted with foreplay, but we never see it.   One of the very few shows to do anything was an episode of Being Mary Jane, where a woman teaches her partner the nuances of cunnilingus (within the bounds of BET standards).

• Love 2

I'm currently watching Big Little Lies on HBO and every week there is a scene or two of Nicole Kidman getting physically abused by Alexander Skarsgard, that immediately or moments later turns into sex, with her character looking ecstatic from the get go of the sex part.  I know the point is that she is in denial and is sort of turned on by his passion level but it's doubly gross to me, too.  

59 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

This is Us moves to Thursdays in the fall AND has landed the post Super Bowl slot.  

https://tvline.com/2017/05/14/this-is-us-post-super-bowl-slot-2018-nbc/

However expect a lot of breaks due to NBC handling Thursday night football and the Olympics. 

http://deadline.com/2017/05/this-is-us-to-super-bowl-christmas-episode-thursday-preemptions-1202093177/

I actually like the idea of some breaks built into the season like that. With only 18 episodes in the season, that might mean we will go into May and then not have such a big hiatus between seasons like we do this year.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

I actually like the idea of some breaks built into the season like that. With only 18 episodes in the season, that might mean we will go into May and then not have such a big hiatus between seasons like we do this year.

I agree and, frankly, I wish more shows would do that.  Plus, TV viewership has changed.  We are no longer in a world where people watch shows live and if they miss it, they miss it.  There are plenty of people who will wait until an end of a season and then binge an entire season (this is what the hubs and I do for Agents of Shield).  With this show, I had been watching it week by week, but I can see myself instead wanting to watch chunks of a season at a time.  

Or, even if I continued to keep up with this show on a week by week basis, fewer episodes spread out over a longer period of time would alleviate much of that "I must catch up before the next episode!" anxiety.

On a broader note, shorter episodes of series would allow for more series to air, which is not a bad thing.

• Love 1

Personally, I'm not a fan of too many hiatuses, for a major reason: I never know exactly when it comes back, and I think some shows can lose their momentum with several hiatuses. I like when the show airs in a block, then takes a three-four week hiatus, and then it comes back for another block. 

I totally get the other side of it and there are parts that I agree with, like the fact that if you miss it live, there's more time to catch up especially if you have two shows airing at the same time and date every week, but I ultimately fall in the former category because my attention span sucks a lot of the time, and it's work to not just remember when it comes back, but also to remember what happened in a previous episode if the show's off every three weeks.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Personally, I'm not a fan of too many hiatuses, for a major reason: I never know exactly when it comes back, and I think some shows can lose their momentum with several hiatuses. I like when the show airs in a block, then takes a three-four week hiatus, and then it comes back for another block. 

I totally get the other side of it and there are parts that I agree with, like the fact that if you miss it live, there's more time to catch up especially if you have two shows airing at the same time and date every week, but I ultimately fall in the former category because my attention span sucks a lot of the time, and it's work to not just remember when it comes back, but also to remember what happened in a previous episode if the show's off every three weeks.

I think sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  The reason that we watch AoS in the summer is because its hiatus completely kills the momentum for us and we'd rather watch one episode a night for a month or so without any breaks.  On the other hand, I can see a show like TIU where one season might have 4 or so "mini" season with a 3-4 week hiatus in between.  It sounds like this year there will be some forced hiatuses, due to things like the Olympics--which I would hope that the writers take into account when planning the season.

The other thing that might make multiple hiatuses work for this show is that NBC puts a lot of effort into promoting it.  I've seen other shows really struggle, simply because the network doesn't seem to want to take the time to give the fans any sort of promotion.

I am not happy with the move. I loved it as my Tuesday show. Riverdale is my Thursday show.The relatively few breaks worked me too. 

The SB episode will very likely feature Jack and Kate watching the Steelers Seahawks SB match. I will already be ready to cry, just by virtue of being a Seahawks fan.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, memememe76 said:

I am not happy with the move. I loved it as my Tuesday show. Riverdale is my Thursday show.The relatively few breaks worked me too. 

It's why I'm hoping that Riverdale makes the switch to a new night. I know it'll stay on a 9pm slot, but I don't want to choose between this one and Riverdale to watch live. Riverdale has fast become one of my new favourites, but This Is Us is still one of my favourites too. It's like choosing between my (fictional) two children. I just can't do it, and I don't want to. If it comes down to it, I might have to alternate weeks on which one to watch live. 

I am excited for this show to come back. It's been a long few months so far, and there's still several more to go. 

The show had no competition this season. Obviously NBC believes in it strongly enough to put it in this timeslot. It's going to go up against Scandal in its final season. My opinions on the ratings this first season are unpopular, much like my opinions on the show. There were clearly a lot of people tuning in at certain times to see if something major happened...and it didn't.

2 hours ago, HeyThere83 said:

The show had no competition this season. Obviously NBC believes in it strongly enough to put it in this timeslot. It's going to go up against Scandal in its final season. My opinions on the ratings this first season are unpopular, much like my opinions on the show. There were clearly a lot of people tuning in at certain times to see if something major happened...and it didn't.

Yeah, I thought it was a bit gutsy to move it to Thursday, considering that ABC has a pretty strong line up then.  I also think that the TIU Season Finale may end up putting the show at a disadvantage.  There was no cliff hanger or, more broadly, no "invitation to come back," really.  In some ways, it almost felt more like a series finale instead of a season finale.  I was already on the critical side of this show but every.single.woman.I.know was all in on this show--and every single one was pissed off with the finale.

Now, stack that against a show that has been fairly steadily popular, has a solid fan base (and I'm guessing one that overlaps with TIU) and has announced this is the last season.  I'm not a Scandal watcher--but, if I were, I know which show would be my priority...and it wouldn't be TIU.

• Love 1

Scandal for me was at its best in Season 2....years ago. But it has still always been my "thing" on Thursday night. So much so that I associate Thursday with Scandal.  And considering this is its final season, there's no question it will be my priority.

Ugh....I just think NBC has always overestimated TIU, and this is a clear example.

• Love 1

This is starting to remind me of my experience with Parenthood (which I still think was a better show than TIU).  I loved that show and made a point to watch it every week.  Then they moved it to Thursday, against both Grey's Anatomy and The Big Bang Theory.  At the time, we weren't using any streaming services and our DVR would only record 2 shows at a time (and I had small kids and just wasn't able to watch TV live during that time).  What happened?  I dropped Parenthood only because I had to make a choice and it didn't make the cut.  (Then I heard how sad it got and there was no way I was going to bawl my eyes out over that...)

The thing was, Parenthood was actually in a *better* position at this point than TIU.  It had been around longer, which I would think would make the fan base "stronger" (by that I mean, more willing to follow the show and choose it over other options), and it had some long-term arcs going on.  I can only speak to my experience and I'm not sure how the ratings play out, but I think that NBC may have a false sense of security in the case of TIU.

• Love 3

Parenthood was supposed to move to Monday midway through their second season, but something to do with Law and order or those Chicago shows had them stay on Tuesday for that second season. But Tuesday was never really a permanent thing for Parenthood. Parenthood was never a ratings hit, it was always on the bubble for renewal. And while I liked or loved it too, it had its fair share of critics too. 

Losing The Voice as a leadin may hurt the show,  but I don't think the competition is any fiercer. Scandal is not the ratings hit it was once. Bull is a bigger show than Mom (or whatever CBS show will air in that timeslot) and Bones is a bigger hit than whatever Fox has on Thursdays. Brooklyn 99?

1 hour ago, memememe76 said:

Losing The Voice as a leadin may hurt the show,  but I don't think the competition is any fiercer. Scandal is not the ratings hit it was once. Bull is a bigger show than Mom (or whatever CBS show will air in that timeslot) and Bones is a bigger hit than whatever Fox has on Thursdays. Brooklyn 99?

Well, the new lead in for TIU, at least for the first half of the season, is Great News, which I can't be nearly as strong as The Voice.

I'm okay with the move to Thursday. When Grey's Anatomy moved to Thursday back in its third season, people thought it would be the death of the show. Now it's going into season 14. The Shonda lineup is not the ratings powerhouse it once was and NBC is capitalizing on it. I know a lot more people who binge Scandal than watch it live. And I know a lot of people who watch This Is Us live, specifically to be able to talk about it the next day. At least in my everyday life, This Is Us is more of an "appointment television" type of show than Scandal is at this point in its run. 

• Love 3

I wondered about his, "We don't chase the cry" comment.  Do your actors and the network know that?  Might want to pass that tidbit along to them.

• Love 4

Same. And more of the telling us to stop focusing so much on Jack's death and how he died. And then it was back to listing all of the reasons why this really is just the greatest show to ever grace a television screen. It is changing the world....one tissue at a time.

• Love 1