Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E02: Being Bad

MyAimIsTrue
  • Start Topic

Another good episode!  The 2 newbies bring some much-needed liveliness and much-missed humor to what was kind of a dreary show last season.  Even Emily showed flashes of what I guess could be called a personality.

McGee looks drawn and ill to me.  He could use another 10 pounds.

Edited by Albino
  • Love 11

I thought it was a good episode I like that the new characters seems to have shaken the writers out of some of their ruts (so far) including Gibbs actually smiling, the team having fun with each other versus at the expense of each other, and more emphasis on navy crimes versus international terrorism. 

We will see if it lasts because Glasberg and team always seem to go back to the Gibbs angst well eventually.  My only nit is that I feel like they are pushing Torres as  a bit too hard.  They need to back off on his many skills a little. 

I also feel like McGee hasn't meshed very well with the new characters  Then again that could be my generally unfavorable opinion of SM as an actor.  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 2

I was definitely missing Tony with all The Breakfast Club references flying this episode. He would have been all over that. (And I'm also now on board with a Breakfast Club heist movie-- go!) However, I did enjoy this episode. I am liking both Torres and Quinn. Quinn honestly seems more like a fish out of water than Torres; that may or may not be realistic but I like it. I am appreciating the levity and humor and, as Albino said, liveliness to the show. I miss Tony but am also liking the new life that's been injected into the show. 

I also like the new squad room configuration! 

• Love 5

That ending scene with the salsa music brought a big smile to my face- more of this fun mood, please. Wilmer doing his salsa moves were hot- much like when I saw him at a salsa club in Miami. Hope we see more of those skills soon.

I had no clue who the killer was- I recognized the actress but fell for her senile act. All those Breakfast Club references were great, down to the earring. Was the pixie stick line from the movie, too?

• Love 2

Am I the only one old enough to pick up on Gibbs saying he chose painting after college instead of pro football? Mark Harmon was a standout QB for UCLA, but went into advertising, then acting after college.

I suspected the "old" lady from the start as not being who she seemed and of playing a major part in the murder. One, her thinking the team was selling Girl Scout cookies was too precious. Two, appearing blind and lame are easily faked and misdirecting -- just like in "The Usual Suspects." And three, shows don't introduce colorful characters and name stars and then drop them early on (like you knew Tom Arnold in the NCIS-NO ep wasn't killed in the opening scene).

Well written. Wilmer Valderrama is a welcome addition -- he's come a long way since "Fez"!

"The Breakfast Club Gone Bad," with the original cast -- I'm in!

• Love 11
6 hours ago, twoods said:

I had no clue who the killer was- I recognized the actress but fell for her senile act. All those Breakfast Club references were great, down to the earring. Was the pixie stick line from the movie, too?

I took the pixie stick reference to when Ally Sheedy's character makes her lunch pouring the sugar onto her bread with fritos.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Bobbin said:

Am I the only one old enough to pick up on Gibbs saying he chose painting after college instead of pro football? Mark Harmon was a standout QB for UCLA, but went into advertising, then acting after college.

Nope, I got that too and I don't even like football!

I took the pixie stick reference to when Ally Sheedy's character makes her lunch pouring the sugar onto her bread with fritos.

That's what I thought as well and I'm pretty sure we're right.  While I can't remember what the name of the "basket case" was in the episode (Angie Russell perhaps, something like that) it was similar to Ally Sheedy's character name of Allison Reynolds.

• Love 2

The show already seems "cluttered" with people - and in a few weeks they're adding one more.  I can see the logic in this only if Mark Harmon plans on cutting back on his workload.  Otherwise, there are just too many people on this show right now.

Edited by HansMoleman742
  • Love 3

I really liked it, haven't enjoyed an episode of the show this much in a long time - nothing and nobody were what you first thought (also nicely played with Torres). But I'm embarrassed to admit how long it took me to get the Breakfast Club leitmotiv.

I liked Torres better this time around with less angst, confident enough to interrupt Gibbs at an interrogation (and getting away with it). Quinn had not quite as much to do but I like how all three women get along. The new characters really shake things up - not just the office configuration but also character dynamics and the show was desperately in need of that.

And since show thought it necessary to bring it up - now I totally want to see Gibbs pull a Bob Ross.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Bobbin said:

I suspected the "old" lady from the start as not being who she seemed and of playing a major part in the murder. One, her thinking the team was selling Girl Scout cookies was too precious. Two, appearing blind and lame are easily faked and misdirecting -- just like in "The Usual Suspects." And three, shows don't introduce colorful characters and name stars and then drop them early on (like you knew Tom Arnold in the NCIS-NO ep wasn't killed in the opening scene).

Me, too. Vernee for the win!

Smiley Gibbs is delightful. I also swooned when WV danced. It almost made me forget he was a pervy cradle-robber.

I missed Fornell.

I liked the team better this ep than last but I do agree that it's going to seem cluttered once they add on the other new guy. As it is, so often Ducky/Palmer are blink and you miss it, although I wouldn't be opposed to less Abby to make space for new guy... but of course that'll never happen.

• Love 1

My first Breakfast Club chuckle was when the John Kapelos character referred to Saturday detention, but I thought it would be a one-time shout out (like "Gibbs has his own Ducky" when the Jon Cryer doctor was doing surgery). When they hauled in the basket case for questioning, I figured it was a theme. I guess this means there is at least on John Hughes fan among the writing staff. Nobody better forget Emily Fornell's 16th birthday.

• Love 4

The 'Saturday detention' bit made me think of Breakfast Club and the scene where the principal gives Bender a couple months of detention, but then I quickly forgot about it until that Angela Russell character reminded me so much of Ally Sheedy's character on Breakfast Club.

Still don't like either of the new characters.

That's really sad and surprising about Gary Glasberg.

Edited by secnarf
  • Love 1

It seems weird to do this now, but I continue to like Quinn and Torres.   Quinn seems to be able to walk the line between being the newbie and yet also having a sense of authority on the team.  Jennifer Esposito is doing a great job, and I've never seen Wilmer in anything before this, so he doesn't bring any baggage to Torres, as far as I'm concerned.

I also think the fact that Torres isn't into movies was a funny tip of the cap/way to remind the audience of Tony.  Maybe that's why The Breakfast Club was never mentioned by name...because that's something Tony would do, and it would seem out of place for it to come from someone else.

There is an air of happiness and fun in the show, and I hope Gary Glasberg's successor has a similar vision as well.

• Love 4

I like Torres. But he sort of gives me Ziva vibes--in that he's been undercover so much of the time, that he's more spook than NCIS, but he's not that 'my way is better' like Ziva tended and always did. And I loved him doing that salsa type dancing at the end.

Though Harmon played college football in real life, I figured if they had Gibbs say it, it would be too....meta? (is that the right word?) so they went with painter. Plus, we got to see he still had it early in the series, when he threw the football to some kids.

Bishop and McGee are working a wee bit too hard, trying to fill in Tony's movie expertise shoes, with the way they said that Vernee's character "Keyser Soze'd" them.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Though Harmon played college football in real life, I figured if they had Gibbs say it, it would be too....meta? (is that the right word?) so they went with painter. Plus, we got to see he still had it early in the series, when he threw the football to some kids.

I thought that the wink/joke was that Gibbs didn't need to be the one who wanted to play football...that most of the audience knows that part of Mark's real-life backstory and would "get" the implicit reference.

• Love 4

I like Torres. But he sort of gives me Ziva vibes--in that he's been undercover so much of the time, that he's more spook than NCIS, but he's not that'my way is better' like Ziva tended and always did.

That is exactly it for me.  I think they need to dial back on his super skills a skosh but so far he hasn't come across as thinking that being part of the MCRT is beneath him and he has nothing to learn.  I hope they keep that up.  

There is an air of happiness and fun in the show, and I hope Gary Glasberg's successor has a similar vision as well.

I would add again to the end of that sentence because for a long time (at least since the final arc on season 6) there hadn't been.  At least not for any sustained period of time.  We got a little of it in season 12 when they put an emphasis on Tony/McGee/Bishop bonding but it didn't last.  Here's hoping this time it does which probably means staying away from Gibbs angst stories.  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, roamyn said:

WTH has happened to McGee?  Or rather Sean?

Has he been ill?  Does he have an alcohol or drug problem?

It's scarry how thin he is.

He's looked really bad for a few years now. WAY too thin, especially when you consider the camera adds 10 lbs.

13 hours ago, secnarf said:

All of the movie references in this episode made me miss Tony more.

I'm not missing Tony, but I thought that when they were trying to figure out the name of the movie, McGee or Bishop would have said, "Tony would know what film that was."

3 hours ago, Sake614 said:

He's looked really bad for a few years now. WAY too thin, especially when you consider the camera adds 10 lbs.

I didn't watch the last few seasons, as I find Bishop horribly dull & inexperienced for this job.

Yep and while the saying itself is sexist it is also true - for both men and women.   Fat serves as a natural filler as we age.  That doesn't mean someone has to be fat to look good.  Rather it means if they have the body of a 20 year old aerobics instructor they naturally won't have a little extra fat that serves as that natural filler.  Right now SM doesn't have that natural filler and that is making him look drawn and older than his years. 

Mark Harmon is actually a great example of this.  He is in good shape but he also certainly doesn't have the body he did when he was in peak condition in college.  Because he hasn't tried to maintain that near impossible standard he has put on a little weight but that weight has also kept him from looking drawn as he ages which has also kept him looking younger than his years. 

Edited by camussie
  • Love 4
On 9/28/2016 at 3:07 PM, MyAimIsTrue said:

I hated seeing Vernee made up to look old.   I also hated seeing her as the bad guy in the end!

Well,  she certainly had me fooled. I don't mind seeing her in a bad guy role if it means she will be memorable and possibly get more parts. Hopefully they don't have to age her to use her talent. 

On 9/29/2016 at 3:12 PM, roamyn said:

I didn't watch the last few seasons, as I find Bishop horribly dull & inexperienced for this job.

She's really dull. I feel like they added her to fill zivas spot but her character is just boring. I liked her quirkiness but she's just plain old meh . When  she had the storyline about her cheating husband ,  I thought she was leaving the show. No such luck. 

• Love 1

I'm not missing Tony, but I thought that when they were trying to figure out the name of the movie, McGee or Bishop would have said, "Tony would know what film that was."

I think that's why I found the approach to the movie references frustrating. Because if they'd been written in character, McGee and Bishop totally would have said, "Tony would know what film that was." Instead it seems like the showrunners are trying way too hard to not mention Tony, and to make sure none of the new characters have any of his traits. Torres doesn't like movies? Give me a break. He's got action flick guy written all over him. Why does he have to go to the extreme of not liking movies and why do the other characters also have to be clueless about movies in order to show the audience that Tony is gone and we better get used to it because the new characters are not going to be his replacements? 

I just felt a little insulted by that. One reference to him by McGee or Bishop about how he would have known the movie (or one reference about how he's in France and having an amazing time with Tali) would not be dwelling on Tony as a character. Hell, when Ziva left (twice!), the characters couldn't STOP talking about her and how much they missed her, even when they really should have been furious with her. It got pretty ridiculous. So I didn't love the approach the writers are taking with not mentioning Tony. It seems like they're going out of their way to not mention him, and that's unbelievable and out of character for the characters who remain. 

The only thing I really appreciated was how McGee was worried about taking over Tony's desk. That would feel like a weird thing, after all those years working together. So I liked his reticence and how Bishop talked with him about it.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, sinkwriter said:

I just felt a little insulted by that. One reference to him by McGee or Bishop about how he would have known the movie (or one reference about how he's in France and having an amazing time with Tali) would not be dwelling on Tony as a character. Hell, when Ziva left (twice!), the characters couldn't STOP talking about her and how much they missed her, even when they really should have been furious with her. It got pretty ridiculous. So I didn't love the approach the writers are taking with not mentioning Tony. It seems like they're going out of their way to not mention him, and that's unbelievable and out of character for the characters who remain. 

This is how I'm explaining this to myself.  Once I bid on lunch with a soap star and won.  During the small talk that happens during those types of events, we talked about the fact that said star had come from a background where she had done national commercials.  She had several that were in rotation at the time that she landed the soap role.  She said that the network prohibited any of her commercials from airing during the soap because the network felt that it would "break character." on the soap.  It's not an apples to apples comparison, but maybe CBS is trying to walk a tightrope here.  Michael was very loyal to CBS, so I can see the network placing Bull right after NCIS in order to support the new series.  While we're not talking about within the same show, NCIS and Bull air one right after the other.  We're still in the early part of the season, so maybe CBS has asked NCIS to limit the references to Tony for awhile so as not to break Michael's new character until it/he has time to become established.  Ziva could be talked about more freely because Cote hadn't gone to a show that she was going to star in and land in the next-door time slot on the same network.

Or...I could be totally wrong.

• Love 4