Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: The Streisand Effect

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

The stuff with Alfred and Zan was confusing.  I guess Zan is just an exploitative asshole, right?  He sees everything as a potential opportunity to get page views and likes on Instagram and Facebook, while pretending to be someone's friend.  

Darius' "We're friends now" was nice.  It was a misunderstanding by both of them, but they came off the better for it.  Earn is making a real effort to contribute for Van and his daughter, while Darius was genuinely trying to make more money for Earn, and did the selfless thing by giving up his own phone so Earn could get the cash for it.  Darius is a weird guy who lives in his own world, but he's not stupid by any means.

The scenery is spot on.  I don't even live there and I recognize those "Cash for Gold!" signs.

I was surprised that they kept mentioning Steve McQueen and no one thought ever brought up the director instead of the late actor.

Edited by Amethyst

Loving this show. As much as I enjoy the daily-grind detailing I'm also intrigued by the creep factor they're slowly building, like the guy in the Batman mask knocking on PB's door and in this ep the shadowy dude the bartender mentions also looking for PB. Assume they're connected?

also, what did the ep's title mean?

I'm still having trouble understanding some of the dialogue, even with the volume turned up.  

The bit with the kid in the back seat cursing, then having to deliver the pizza and getting robbed just took me out of the show.  I can't even anymore. 

I've been to Atlanta a couple of times, the last time I had a brain fart and stupidly ordered a Pepsi when I called for room service.  I will never forget the dead silence on the other end for a few seconds before she told me that they didn't serve Pepsi--only Coke.  

Anyway, I've tried and even though I love Darius, I just don't have a "feel" for this show.  So, Ohwell is done.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, 17wheatthins said:

Here is info on the Streisand effect; it's explained far better than I could. :-)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

Thanks! So I guess we're to take from that Paper Boi is bringing some of his misery with the spotlight on himself, engaging with Zan in the first place... Funny that Steve McQueen and the somewhat obscure (at least to me) "Streisand effect" were among this episode's references.

3 hours ago, ridethemaverick said:

This was the first episode I didn't like. It was all over the place and didn't really gel for me. 

Same here.  Its the first episode where I really couldn't relate to anything that was going on.  At first I thought it might be because I"m white and have absolutely no knowledge about the current rap scene, but really I just think its because I'm old LOL.  I just don't get the social media stuff, the beef because someone put a picture on Instagram, etc. All of that just seems unreal to me, though I know it isn't.  Zan was kind of funny, but if I were 20 years younger, I probably would have found him funnier.  I still love Darius though.

And I found myself getting impatient with Earn again.  His speech about being poor, and the sad strummy music following that scene didn't ring true to me because he COULD have a job if he really wanted to and he wouldn't need to rely on samarai swords and sketchy dog breeding to earn money.  He dropped out of of Princeton, so he did, at one time at least, have prospects and choices.  Again, I think that this is where my age comes in and I'm just not relating.  As much as this is a show about a specific person in a specific city, I think it is also about being part of a specific generation.  *Shakes fist at Milennials*  I"m just joking about that last part, but this episode made me feel old!

Its okay, though.  Not every episode has to cater to me.  I'll always have the Golden Girls.

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I've been to Atlanta a couple of times, the last time I had a brain fart and stupidly ordered a Pepsi when I called for room service.  I will never forget the dead silence on the other end for a few seconds before she told me that they didn't serve Pepsi--only Coke.  

One of my best friends is from Atlanta and she calls all soda Coke. She'll say, "I'm getting a Coke, do you want one?" and if you say yes, she'll ask what kind of Coke you want and you say Sprite or root beer or whatever

1 hour ago, Deanie87 said:

Same here.  Its the first episode where I really couldn't relate to anything that was going on.  At first I thought it might be because I"m white and have absolutely no knowledge about the current rap scene, but really I just think its because I'm old LOL.  I just don't get the social media stuff, the beef because someone put a picture on Instagram, etc. All of that just seems unreal to me, though I know it isn't.  Zan was kind of funny, but if I were 20 years younger, I probably would have found him funnier.  I still love Darius though.

And I found myself getting impatient with Earn again.  His speech about being poor, and the sad strummy music following that scene didn't ring true to me because he COULD have a job if he really wanted to and he wouldn't need to rely on samarai swords and sketchy dog breeding to earn money.  He dropped out of of Princeton, so he did, at one time at least, have prospects and choices.  Again, I think that this is where my age comes in and I'm just not relating.  As much as this is a show about a specific person in a specific city, I think it is also about being part of a specific generation.  *Shakes fist at Milennials*  I"m just joking about that last part, but this episode made me feel old!

Its okay, though.  Not every episode has to cater to me.  I'll always have the Golden Girls.

I'm not that old (although older than Earn), and while he's right about being poor ... when you're that poor, you need a day job. I am all for him managing Paper Boi, but he also needs a check every week. I keep wanting him to call Van and get her to recommend him for that security guard job where she works. It would be one thing if we saw him trying to get a day job and failing, but he hasn't. He's putting all his eggs in Paper Boi's basket.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

One of my best friends is from Atlanta and she calls all soda Coke. She'll say, "I'm getting a Coke, do you want one?" and if you say yes, she'll ask what kind of Coke you want and you say Sprite or root beer or whatever

I'm not that old (although older than Earn), and while he's right about being poor ... when you're that poor, you need a day job. I am all for him managing Paper Boi, but he also needs a check every week. I keep wanting him to call Van and get her to recommend him for that security guard job where she works. It would be one thing if we saw him trying to get a day job and failing, but he hasn't. He's putting all his eggs in Paper Boi's basket.

I'm actually not that old either (46), but I agree about the day job, and he was given a potential opportunity by Van, and as he did get in to Princeton, he must have had some options along the way somewhere.  And I understood what he was saying about being poor, that you need money NOW not an investment that is going to pay off 3 months from now.  But I guess I don't completely put him in that category of "poor" when he could do something to make money, he just chooses not to, when some people would give anything to get a chance at a paying security job or something along those lines.  I also understand that when you are younger, you may not want to "sell-out" and maybe that's what he thinks a boring job would be, and he has bigger aspirations for himself.  But once you have a kid, all of that needs to be set aside because it isn't just about you anymore, and that's where my frustration comes from.  If it was just him, then couch surfing and pawn shops wouldn't be all that big of a deal to me.  I do hope that we find out what happened with Princeton and get a bit more of his motivations. Though, I have a feeling this isn't going to be that kind of show.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Deanie87 said:

I'm actually not that old either (46), but I agree about the day job, and he was given a potential opportunity by Van, and as he did get in to Princeton, he must have had some options along the way somewhere.  And I understood what he was saying about being poor, that you need money NOW not an investment that is going to pay off 3 months from now.  But I guess I don't completely put him in that category of "poor" when he could do something to make money, he just chooses not to, when some people would give anything to get a chance at a paying security job or something along those lines.  I also understand that when you are younger, you may not want to "sell-out" and maybe that's what he thinks a boring job would be, and he has bigger aspirations for himself.  But once you have a kid, all of that needs to be set aside because it isn't just about you anymore, and that's where my frustration comes from.  If it was just him, then couch surfing and pawn shops wouldn't be all that big of a deal to me.  I do hope that we find out what happened with Princeton and get a bit more of his motivations. Though, I have a feeling this isn't going to be that kind of show.

Exactly. I like Earn, but he's greedy & frustratingly shortsighted.

As Darius told him at the end of the episode, the only thing that kept him from accepting guaranteed money at the pawn shop, was his misguided belief at the promise of more money.

Which, in theory, is fine but when you're throwing pity parties in front of your cousin's best friend because you're undisciplined and don't have your priorities straight, that's your problem imo.

It's hard to empathize with someone who has options (unappealing as they may be) yet regularly sabotages themselves by attempting to take advantage of unearned (no pun intended) shortcuts.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 3

Seriously, if Van just did whatever the hell she wanted and left Earn with the baby, it would suddenly be a show about some floozy who abandoned her child. "Baby, I'm following my dreams!" would generate no sympathy comng from a woman.

Why did they even put in the security job, if they wanted us to sympathize with Earn's "desperation and lack of options"?

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Empress1 said:

This is spot on. It's true for most of the South.

I actually enjoyed the scene in the car. I like random and weird stuff. I cracked up that PB's reaction was to tell the kid to put his seatbelt on.

I find Earn sympathetic still. Getting that security job is likely more difficult than a reccomendation from Van. Granted, he should still try. He doesn't seem to have experience, skills, or transportation. Yes, he should have taken the pawn shop money but when you're that poor, I think it's natural to go for what seems like easy and more money. 

• Love 2

Is it at all possible that the leaving Princeton is connected to why he won't/can't apply for "real" jobs ... as in something serious that would pretty much make him ineligible for jobs like security guard and he hasn't told anyone? And is trying to cover it up?

Anything from a criminal record to diagnosed mental illness of some sort?

To be addressed in a future episode (with better subtitling/close captioning than DTV can provide for me?)

• Love 2

Darius and Earn attempting to trade up from the phone to the samurai sword to the pit bull offspring reminded me of THIS

On the station, Nog and Jake, having discovered that Nog's uncle Quark has been stuck with a huge supply of Cardassian yamok sauce and no Cardassians to eat it, see an opportunity to make a quick buck — or, in this case, five bars of gold press latinum. They try to sell it to a Lissepian freighter captain who has dealings with the Cardassians. He talks them instead into a trade — a hundred gross of self-sealing stem bolts in exchange for their yamok sauce. They make the deal, then plot to figure out how to get the sauce from Quark.

I agree with the below. I find it wearying at times.

On 9/21/2016 at 4:24 PM, Ohwell said:

Also, I've overdosed on hearing the n-word.  I don't need that.  It is not cool.

• Love 1

I could kind of relate to this episode, but I think I'm exactly Donald Glover's age. How old is Earn supposed to be?

I've seen a few friends and family members and/or their spouses branch out, do something different and be entrepreneurs, after getting degrees (or instead of going to college). They're always hustling and trying something new because they just can't seem to be in mundane "normal" job. I know we don't know anything about Earn's story yet, but if you don't want to be a doctor, lawyer, engineer, CPA, or teacher, you can feel pretty aimless, especially if you weren't established before the economy crashed.

I have to remember to use brand names when I travel, because at home I never order anything but "Coke," even when it's a Sprite. It's really ridiculous.

I went down the rabbit hole with Vine when it first got really popular a few years ago. There are people who have made, or honed, careers from Vine videos. I thought they did a great job with the over-the-top, always on, persona for Zan, right down to the kid. I know some people who support themselves and children financially only from their Youtube videos. Zan and Alfred could get something lucrative going with a well-designed public contentious relationship.

• Love 1

So relieved when the Cane Corso was being traded to a breeder and not getting involved in dog fighting. Not that a barnyard breeder may be the best situation, but I would have been heartbroken and possibly sworn off the show if Darius was anything less than the freakin' cool, random, laid-back guy he seems. Love Darius.

• Love 5

This episode had some really poignant moments such as Al saying he scares people at ATMs, so rapping is the only chance he has to do anything. Truly heart wrenching social commentary. 42-year-old white woman over here, but I can understand the pain and fear that if you grow up black in an underprivileged area, you might not feel like you have any opportunities to get out. Look at this 3-4 year old kid being pawned off on his "Vine business partner" and being robbed is just a part of life at that young age. At the same time, Earn DID have a path out with Princeton, but he's back to having nothing. He just killed me with that scene about how poor people don't have time for investments because they have to eat.

But for as sad as that was, so many LOL moments. Al "speed posting" typing back furiously at Zan while Earn was telling him not to engage. Everything from Darius (Steve McQueen and Ghengis Kahn) and Earn's response about where do you look it up, the racist dictionary? The AIDS conspiracy theories and Earn's deadpan "two for one." The shop owner agreeing that no black people know who Steve McQueen is, so he just has the poster up because if a customer asks him about it, he knows they're just trying to get him to turn around to rob him. The little boy's profanity-laden tirade and the look on Al's face as he responds, "Boy, put your seatbelt on."

Edited by JenE4
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, JenE4 said:

The little boy's profanity-laden tirade and the look on Al's face as he responds, "Boy, put your seatbelt on."

I'm sorry but I didn't consider that an LOL moment at all.  In fact, that's what did it for me as far as continuing to watch the show.  I can just imagine the kind of life he'll have when he has "role models" like Zan in his life.  Poor child.

I'm watching these later than everyone else.

It occurs to me that each episode contains some example of how Earn could make money that wouldn't involve a "real" job.  But would involve hustling.  This one had Zan and his internet promotions, and also bartering.   The previous one had the homeless guy running the makeshift valet service.  The pilot had drug dealing.

And there's some weird thing going on with dogs.....

• Love 3

I'm not that old (although older than Earn), and while he's right about being poor ... when you're that poor, you need a day job. I am all for him managing Paper Boi, but he also needs a check every week. I keep wanting him to call Van and get her to recommend him for that security guard job where she works. It would be one thing if we saw him trying to get a day job and failing, but he hasn't.

That's why I just can't with Earn sometimes, but I don't think (at least it doesn't seem that way yet) that we're supposed to think his behavior is admirable. I'm sure there will be (dumb) people watching this whose takeaway is "damn, why doesn't his baby mama get off his back and just let him chase his dreams?" but I'm hoping Donald Glover is smarter than that. I think we're supposed to be exasperated with Earn, even if he is the protagonist. It's a mostly affectionate exasperation, because many people can relate to his sensible comments about how poor people need money and not investments. But then he starts talking about chasing dreams when he has a child he can't support (or remember to pick up), and you just think, "Shut up, Earn, and get a damn job." And he had the nerve to make fun of Van for wanting to open a boutique, but she has a day job and also she is supporting your ass, so seriously. Maybe they'll explain why he can't go legit (and why he left school) at some point, but right now I feel old enough to be Earn's mother despite only being a few years older than the actor.

• Love 5
On 9/21/2016 at 1:24 PM, Ohwell said:

Also, I've overdosed on hearing the n-word.  I don't need that.  It is not cool.

Here here. It's feels reckless. Almost like an assault. ?

(Speaking as a black woman who loves hip-hop)

Sigh. 

• Love 3
On 9/23/2016 at 11:09 PM, JenE4 said:

This episode had some really poignant moments such as Al saying he scares people at ATMs, so rapping is the only chance he has to do anything. Truly heart wrenching social commentary.

But for as sad as that was, so many LOL moments. The little boy's profanity-laden tirade and the look on Al's face as he responds, "Boy, put your seatbelt on."

I really like this show a lot.   It is both incredibly moving and makes me laugh so hard.  I graduated from college and it took me many many years to find a full-time job that matched my education.   I wanted to be an editor but the pay was so low because the publishing houses only wanted to hire people that had  trust funds to support them.  There was a serious class issue.  I am white and I can relate. 

I can relate to that image of birds on a wire -  Trying to find space in a world that has no natural space for me.  I love this show.

• Love 4
On 9/21/2016 at 6:19 PM, Deanie87 said:

On 9/21/2016 at 8:44 PM, Dee said:

Exactly. I like Earn, but he's greedy & frustratingly shortsighted.

As Darius told him at the end of the episode, the only thing that kept him from accepting guaranteed money at the pawn shop, was his misguided belief at the promise of more money.

Which, in theory, is fine but when you're throwing pity parties in front of your cousin's best friend because you're undisciplined and don't have your priorities straight, that's your problem imo.

It's hard to empathize with someone who has options (unappealing as they may be) yet regularly sabotages themselves by attempting to take advantage of unearned (no pun intended) shortcuts.

On 9/21/2016 at 8:47 PM, possibilities said:

Seriously, if Van just did whatever the hell she wanted and left Earn with the baby, it would suddenly be a show about some floozy who abandoned her child. "Baby, I'm following my dreams!" would generate no sympathy comng from a woman.

Why did they even put in the security job, if they wanted us to sympathize with Earn's "desperation and lack of options"?

On 9/23/2016 at 12:41 AM, LJonEarth said:

I could kind of relate to this episode, but I think I'm exactly Donald Glover's age. How old is Earn supposed to be?

I've seen a few friends and family members and/or their spouses branch out, do something different and be entrepreneurs, after getting degrees (or instead of going to college). They're always hustling and trying something new because they just can't seem to be in mundane "normal" job. I know we don't know anything about Earn's story yet, but if you don't want to be a doctor, lawyer, engineer, CPA, or teacher, you can feel pretty aimless, especially if you weren't established before the economy crashed.

I have to remember to use brand names when I travel, because at home I never order anything but "Coke," even when it's a Sprite. It's really ridiculous.

I went down the rabbit hole with Vine when it first got really popular a few years ago. There are people who have made, or honed, careers from Vine videos. I thought they did a great job with the over-the-top, always on, persona for Zan, right down to the kid. I know some people who support themselves and children financially only from their Youtube videos. Zan and Alfred could get something lucrative going with a well-designed public contentious relationship.

This episode had some really poignant moments such as Al saying he scares people at ATMs, so rapping is the only chance he has to do anything. Truly heart wrenching social commentary. 42-year-old white woman over here, but I can understand the pain and fear that if you grow up black in an underprivileged area, you might not feel like you have any opportunities to get out. Look at this 3-4 year old kid being pawned off on his "Vine business partner" and being robbed is just a part of life at that young age. At the same time, Earn DID have a path out with Princeton, but he's back to having nothing. He just killed me with that scene about how poor people don't have time for investments because they have to eat.

But for as sad as that was, so many LOL moments. Al "speed posting" typing back furiously at Zan while Earn was telling him not to engage. Everything from Darius (Steve McQueen and Ghengis Kahn) and Earn's response about where do you look it up, the racist dictionary? The AIDS conspiracy theories and Earn's deadpan "two for one." The shop owner agreeing that no black people know who Steve McQueen is, so he just has the poster up because if a customer asks him about it, he knows they're just trying to get him to turn around to rob him. The little boy's profanity-laden tirade and the look on Al's face as he responds, "Boy, put your seatbelt on."

I grew up in Atlanta and the "calling everything a Coke" is spot on. I agree that we are supposed to be frustrated with Earn. Atlanta has a lot of very successful hardworking African American people, who would probably love to hook a brother like him up. I think part of it is that Earn does not know what he wants to do, besides managing Boi.  He knows that this is a long shot, but really has no clue what his 'fallback" will be because he does not know what he wants to be.

I have seen smart guys like Earn, who refuse to do anything they do not want to do. My cousin was a math genius but refused to show up for classes he deemed "a stupid waste of his time" like Sociology.

Also, I have noticed with some younger millennial men, the 9 to 5 grind is just something they are not into. I do not know if they just thought that they would have incredibly exciting lives or what, but they have no interest in going to a steady job, unless it is something that excites them.

My genius math cousin grew up to be a very well paid software developer. He is freelance and sometimes he has people begging him and throwing money at him to take a project. I will ask him..."Why do you not just suck it up and do it? It's easy for you and it is a lot of money for just a couple of months"? He's like "nope" and then he takes a project that he likes, with a start up that pays him a lot less.  However, my cousin is definitely not aimless.  He knows exactly what he wants, unlike Earn.

• Love 1