Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

Man, fuck Judge Bougie. Judge I Don't Understand How The Real World Works Because I Haven't Been Even A Little Broke In The Past Fifty Years. I thought the young lady with the used car had a pretty simple case: the Defendant sold her a car likely knowing it would not pass an emissions test; they both signed a bill of sale by the bank so she could get a loan for the car; and in California, it's illegal to sell a car that won't pass a smog test. But noooo, Judge Judgy can't get past "as-is" because that's how it was back in the 1820s when she was growing up. I understand the presumption that you buy a car as-is, but there's a flip side to that. Nobody wants to take out of loan for a car that they can't register, or that they have to spend a bunch of money repairing so that it will pass a smog test. I doubt most banks would even insure a loan for a car if they didn't think it could be registered. That would be like trying to take out of loan for a car that has a lien on it. If you personally want to buy a vehicle like that, fine, but I don't think a bank would. At least, it would be crazy for them to do that. But maybe they do and I'm just naive.

I don't know. I kinda feel like there are more people out there who would sell a piece-of-shit car to an unsuspecting buyer than there are buyers who would buy a perfectly drive-able car and jerry-rig it just to get their money back. I understand saying get the car checked out before buying it, but then, if I'm a buyer, I don't necessarily want to go to a dealer or mechanic and spend $85 on a diagnostic of the car, and if it turns out it's POS the seller just a free diagnostic and I'm out of $85. It's better than paying thousands for a car you can't register, but that's why I think certain laws are in place to protect consumers. If you own the car, you should at least be able to guarantee there are no impediments to registering the vehicle, i.e. no liens, able to pass smog. If the car needs new brake pads, that's one thing; the DMV doesn't care about that. But the buyer should be stuck with an unregisterable car just because the seller wants to do the whole Barbie-I-Don't-Understand-Cars thing.

I actually think in several states, and I'm guessing CA is one of them, if a car won't pass a smog test, that's on the seller. I think you can register the car as "non-operational" and make sure the buyer knows it's being sold for some other reason than for driving.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, 27bored said:

....I actually think in several states, and I'm guessing CA is one of them, if a car won't pass a smog test, that's on the seller. I think you can register the car as "non-operational" and make sure the buyer knows it's being sold for some other reason than for driving.

IIRC, CA is so much against selling cars that can't pass smog, they have a law that says the buyer can fix the car and turn around and sue for the cost of putting in into smog compliance - even if the cost exceeds the value of the car. I seem to remember a case, where a litigant came to court and cited that law, JJ scoffed and said she didn't believe it, and the litigant showed a screen shot from the the California DMV, which so impressed JJ that she ignored her normal NOT IN MY AMERICA line and ruled in the litigant's favor. I had a hard time believing it, too, googled it, and sure 'nuf that's the law. 

• Love 5
(edited)
53 minutes ago, 27bored said:

I don't know. I kinda feel like there are more people out there who would sell a piece-of-shit car to an unsuspecting buyer than there are buyers who would buy a perfectly drive-able car and jerry-rig it just to get their money back.

And I think there are a lot of people who buy an 18 year old hoopty with 214,000 miles on it and expect it to be perfect. Back in my dum-dum younger  (poorer )days I bought a minivan that I found out much later had a salvage title from New York State. The damn thing would overheat and then I would turn it off and the car refused to stop running. It would do this seizure thing and chug and heave for a couple of minutes and I would be walking away from it with the keys in my hand. We put a bunch of money into that POS van because I really REALLY wanted a minivan and it was something we could afford but after I had to walk off the interstate with two kids (one in a stroller) in 96 degree heat with cars whizzing by us, I realized what a stupid move I had made and we sold it for junk. SHOULDA WOULDA COULDA. So I learned my lesson big time.  That's why I don't really feel sorry for those people because I have BEEN one of those people and we just sucked it up. 

Edited by ItsHelloPattiagain
  • Love 5
(edited)

And I think there are a lot of people who buy an 18 year old hoopty with 214,000 miles on it and expect it to be perfect. Back in my dum-dum younger  (poorer )days I bought a minivan that I found out much later had a salvage title from New York State. The damn thing would overheat and then I would turn it off and the car refused to stop running. It would do this seizure thing and chug and heave for a couple of minutes and I would be walking away from it with the keys in my hand. We put a bunch of money into that POS van because I really REALLY wanted a minivan and it was something we could afford but after I had to walk off the interstate with two kids (one in a stroller) in 96 degree heat with cars whizzing by us, I realized what a stupid move I had made and we sold it for junk. SHOULDA WOULDA COULDA. So I learned my lesson big time.  That's why I don't really feel sorry for those people because I have BEEN one of those people and we just sucked it up.

That's a good point. I don't understand people who will even fool with a car that has those kinds of miles on it. I guess my sympathy just comes from issues like the one the Plaintiff had, where this isn't just "let the buyer beware", but we're dealing with the law as well. I think before you decide to sell a car, it's prudent to get a diagnostic to determine what might be wrong with it. I'm cool with selling a car where it might need some work in most cases except when it comes to smog testing because the state is the one who requires you to get that done. If the car won't pass, I don't have a problem with a judge undoing the sale and letting the seller figure out what to do with the shitty car. But if it's a situation where you buy a super old car with a ton of miles and the seller convinces you to buy it because no really it's a great deal on a great car, then you get what you pay for.

Sidenote: isn't it a little weird that the Plaintiff was 19, the Defendant was 20, and they were both married?

Edited by 27bored
  • Love 1

I remember watching the sweet, old guy in the deadbeat tenant and smug creep hoping to buy the building case. I sure hope he listened to JJ and hired an attorney to handle the sale of the building.

I laughed my ass off again watching the tenant who trashed Mr. Zapata's house. She get's all uppity because the owner of the home she trashed had the nerve to hire who he wanted to do the repairs!  

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, 27bored said:

But if it's a situation where you buy a super old car with a ton of miles and the seller convinces you to buy it because no really it's a great deal on a great car, then you get what you pay for.

We've seen people here buy cars in spite of the seller practically waving huge red flags with "Do NOT buy this shitbox!" written on them.  I mean: "He wouldn't let me test drive it or take it to a mechanic." "He insisted I pay him right then, "  "He wouldn't give me a receipt," "He said I had to go get the car at 1:00a.m in a snow storm," "he said if I didn't buy it he would sell it to one of other people in the  huge crowd waiting for it!"(Yeah, because 17 year old Pontiac Sunfires with permanent "Check Engine" light on, 197,000 miles and 4 bald tires are such rare treasures.)" Sorry, but aside from the fact that when buying an ancient beater from some anonymous person on CL  it's "AS IS," people this dumb do not deserve one cent back. I guess the smog thing is a different story but I know nothing about that.

18 minutes ago, lovesnark said:

I remember watching the sweet, old guy in the deadbeat tenant and smug creep hoping to buy the building case.

This was new to me. Enormous tenants were despicable, as was smug creep/asshole. I have a feeling everyone and his brother are out to take advantage of the poor old guy and I'm not even sure about the son. I hope plaintiff listened to JJ and did get a lawyer, but not a lawyer of the type we see on this show - incompetent, idiotic, yet arrogant shysters, disbarred at the time they take on a client and who don't believe in retainers.

36 minutes ago, 27bored said:

Sidenote: isn't it a little weird that the Plaintiff was 19, the Defendant was 20, and they were both married?

Nothing unusual about that on this show, not even if they have 2 or 4 kids each. I haven't seen this, but if one of them was a "she" is she a "homemaker?"

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, 27bored said:

Best guess - Navy wives. Plantiff and husband just moved to California and they have to wait two weeks (military pays 1st and 15th)  for him to get paid before registering the car. Defendant came from Guam (Navy base is there). Plantiff was silly to hurry the deal and not let defendant take car to the mechanic the next week. She could've met her at the mechanic and got a report without paying for the car or mechanic fees. A seller in California does have to smog car within 90 days before selling a vehicle. I think if plantiff was more articulate and didn't wait two weeks she would have prevailed.

Full disclosure.  My husband retired from the navy after serving 30 years. I work at a k-8 school on a navy base in California. 

• Love 2

Yes, there should be protection laws for used cars SOLD BY A REGISTERED DEALER which is a business.  But a private sale from one Craig's List fool to another -- how the hell do you regulate THAT?!  Are the sellers even claiming the sale proceeds on their income tax?  These idiot buyers need to learn to WALK AWAY when sellers start making demands. 

• Love 1

The rerun today of the older woman suing her two older ex roomies pissed me off as much as it did the first time. My take is the two defendants got pissed when she left because they were stealing her pain meds. It's obvious the plaintiff has some serious neck/spine stuff going on. She can't turn her head, she has to turn her whole body. I think the plaintiff got hip to what they were doing and that's why she didn't want to go back. She did say they wanted money for drugs.  In the hallterview, the one old slag just had to say that the plaintiff took too may oxycontins and was 'misconscrued.' The other old slag admitted that she said horrible things to her in texts, voicemails and in person. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, lovesnark said:

The rerun today of the older woman suing her two older ex roomies pissed me off as much as it did the first time. My take is the two defendants got pissed when she left because they were stealing her pain meds. It's obvious the plaintiff has some serious neck/spine stuff going on. She can't turn her head, she has to turn her whole body. I think the plaintiff got hip to what they were doing and that's why she didn't want to go back. She did say they wanted money for drugs.  In the hallterview, the one old slag just had to say that the plaintiff took too may oxycontins and was 'misconscrued.' The other old slag admitted that she said horrible things to her in texts, voicemails and in person. 

Horrible women! 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Horrible women! 

Believe it or not, I watched this with no memory of having seen it before. It was only in the hall with the "She's misconscrewed" that I remembered. With such a cast of characters - all these overly -bleached, nasty hags and the icky middle-aged son who lives with mommy, uses his money to buy himself electronic toys and can't speak proper English ("I seen" - HATE!!!)- I'm embarassed to have forgotten about all of it.

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 11:44 AM, basiltherat said:

Yes, there should be protection laws for used cars SOLD BY A REGISTERED DEALER which is a business.

Granddaughter/Grandma: I hate car dealers as much as anyone but if you buy an ancient beater and knowingly sign a binding contract that you agree it's AS IS, then suck it up. Who knows what happened to the old heap? Granddaughter seems to blow up the engines of the cars that people buy for her, so tough luck. Maybe if the girl has to buy her own car she may be a little more careful with it.

• Love 4

I never blew an  engine, but I had to buy my very first car myself, so probably took at least some care of it. When it's your hard-earned money at stake, you're not so careless. So many parents, grandparents, etc on this show buy vee-hickles for their kids, who then trash them, blow out the engines, let their friends total them, run over curbs or go "muddin'" in them. What do they care? Not costing them a nickel.

• Love 4

I've been so slammed with work lately, and I finally got to turn on JJ today. Too bad I had the displeasure of tuning in to see Aida Nunez and her sneaky smirking face and evasive answers. She was missing half an eyebrow, but the half that was there even managed to give off a jerky vibe. I was surprised JJ didn't get sick of her smartmouth tone and toss her out.

• Love 3

I had to stop watching. This case brought back horrible memories of when I was high off my skull on PCP and my roommate, the college student who says "we wuz",  came and poured boiling water on me and even when I called the police, only "fugazi" cops (from central casting I guess) were sent and the doctor is a liar too because he says no one could rely on my drugged out story. It's a big conspiracy, so I goes to court, higher than a fucking kite (or maybe not high but with my tiny brain scrambled from PCP) and can't understand anything that JJ says to me. "Do you understand what I'm telling you?" "No... ".

I had to stop there, but this case raised the question for me of WTF is the deal with using boiling liquids as a means of discipline, retaliation or assault? I read about this way too much. It doesn't have to be water, but sometimes is soup, chili, spagetti sauce or whatever, and is this really the only means that a college student has to express her displeasure? Holy shit.

• Love 4
(edited)

Aida Nunez and her sneaky smirking face and evasive answers.

My favorite part was when JJ caught her flat footed about telling the producer that she had 600 guests - "No, really, I never said that". JJ: we can bring the producer you talked to in to testify. Unashamedly backtracking without a blink, we get "I did say 600 guests". Then in the halterview she was indignant and self righteous. What an unrepentant liar and cheat, no self respecting human would be so callous about it.

ETA: I may be mixing up plaintiffs here, I was referring to the quinceanera Mom. Ooops, senior moment.

Edited by DoctorK
mixed plaintiffs
  • Love 1

Holy hell! I didn't see the boiling water on the woman with Don King's hair when it aired originally. What a doozy! Her wailing hallterview was one of the best I've ever seen. However, I don't think JJ knows shit about how boiling water could easily burn your inner thighs and lady bits if a pan was tipped off the stove. It could easily splash down and saturate your pants, effectively burning that entire area.

The lying quinceanera  plaintiff was just as bad as she was the first time. The new tenants in my rental are a lovely, young Mexican couple. Their adorable daughter is 2 and they've already set up an account to fund her quinceanera. I about fell over when I learned that! If I'm still alive when she reaches 15?, I hope they invite me :)

• Love 5

Aida Nunez, smirking, super masculine liar, thief and scumbag (and her grotesque girlfriend): It makes me so sad and angry this amoral, marginal, shameless character, and all those like her, are allowed to have as many children as they like. It's her absolute right to do that. She has all these rights, but the children have no right to reasonable, decent parents.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, lovesnark said:

However, I don't think JJ knows shit about how boiling water could easily burn your inner thighs and lady bits if a pan was tipped off the stove. It could easily splash down and saturate your pants, effectively burning that entire area.

This is true, but I believed her story.  I did not believe the pan on the stove theory.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

I had to stop watching. This case brought back horrible memories of when I was high off my skull on PCP and my roommate, the college student who says "we wuz",  came and poured boiling water on me and even when I called the police, only "fugazi" cops (from central casting I guess) were sent and the doctor is a liar too because he says no one could rely on my drugged out story. It's a big conspiracy, so I goes to court, higher than a fucking kite (or maybe not high but with my tiny brain scrambled from PCP) and can't understand anything that JJ says to me. "Do you understand what I'm telling you?" "No... ".

I had to stop there, but this case raised the question for me of WTF is the deal with using boiling liquids as a means of discipline, retaliation or assault? I read about this way too much. It doesn't have to be water, but sometimes is soup, chili, spagetti sauce or whatever, and is this really the only means that a college student has to express her displeasure? Holy shit.

Now I know the correct spelling of Fugazi! LOL. Never heard that term before. I'm glad plaintiff (?) explained the definition of that word or I would have been totally lost!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, lovesnark said:

Holy hell! I didn't see the boiling water on the woman with Don King's hair when it aired originally. What a doozy! Her wailing hallterview was one of the best I've ever seen.

Right? I thought she was about to collapse on-camera and that paramedics would have to be called.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Now I know the correct spelling of Fugazi!

Big Sopranos fan here - haha!

11 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Right? I thought she was about to collapse on-camera and that paramedics would have to be called.

Yeah, and they'd probably be fugazi paramedics.

3 hours ago, DoctorK said:

When she was sitting down and viewed from the side, she looked exactly like the character Zippy the Pinhead.

Oh, not with that Zippy the Pinhead again, just when I'd reached the point of having no inappropriate outbursts of laughter every time I thought of the name!

• Love 2
11 hours ago, DoctorK said:

When she was sitting down and viewed from the side, she looked exactly like the character Zippy the Pinhead.

I think this is an apt describer of most every JJ litigant. 

Re: PCP-burn victim, if anyone has 90 minutes to spare, I highly recommend watching Hot Coffee, the documentary on what really happened when McDonald's was sued over their too-hot coffee burning through the woman's legs and lady parts. If you only have a few minutes, the pictures of the injury to the victim are shown. Fair warning, it's gruesome. 

14 hours ago, lovesnark said:

Holy hell! I didn't see the boiling water on the woman with Don King's hair when it aired originally. What a doozy! Her wailing hallterview was one of the best I've ever seen. However, I don't think JJ knows shit about how boiling water could easily burn your inner thighs and lady bits if a pan was tipped off the stove. It could easily splash down and saturate your pants, effectively burning that entire area.

The lying quinceanera  plaintiff was just as bad as she was the first time. The new tenants in my rental are a lovely, young Mexican couple. Their adorable daughter is 2 and they've already set up an account to fund her quinceanera. I about fell over when I learned that! If I'm still alive when she reaches 15?, I hope they invite me :)

The police report said that the woman told them she was sleeping in the nude.  But still, boiling water can go everywhere, so I was a little annoyed at JJ saying it didn't happen the way defendant said (water on the stove).  But I didn't believe the plaintiff either.  I don't think she knows what happened to this day.  Nor does she remember being on JJ.  

Every time they showed the quincenera princess, I got the feeling that she was praying, "Please, JJ, don't ask me to stand up and answer questions about my mother's lies."

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

The police report said that the woman told them she was sleeping in the nude.  But still, boiling water can go everywhere, so I was a little annoyed at JJ saying it didn't happen the way defendant said (water on the stove).  But I didn't believe the plaintiff either.  I don't think she knows what happened to this day.  Nor does she remember being on JJ.  

Every time they showed the quincenera princess, I got the feeling that she was praying, "Please, JJ, don't ask me to stand up and answer questions about my mother's lies."

I agree with you. I don't think Don King's hair has any idea what happened that night. Hell, she could have poured the water on herself. PCP is a drug that makes people do unbelievable things. It pissed me off that JJ told the world the defendant should be doing 10 years with absolutely NO evidence that she did anything to Don King's hair. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

, I highly recommend watching Hot Coffee, the documentary on what really happened when McDonald's was sued over their too-hot coffee burning

I had to stop before we got to see the boiled flesh, but no matter how I look at it, if someone spills coffee that's piping hot from the machine on themselves I'm not sure how it could be someone else's fault. Does how badly you burn yourself make it more someone elses's fault?  It's not as though a waitress dropped it on her. Maybe she should have sued the manufacturer of the coffee maker?

I ordered a cup of tea at work one day. When I took the cup from the server's hand, I knocked it over and spilled the water on my hand. The pain was excruciating and as I pulled my wedding rings off my swelling finger, the flesh came off with it. I had to go to the emergency room but it never occured to me to sue the restaurant because I spilled hot water on myself. Maybe I'm just not getting it. Wouldn't be the first time!

Anyway, in the case, I totally believe def threw the water on plaintiff because that does seem to be a popular activity these days. I don't believe plaintiff was in any condition to be doing anything with the stove that night, considering she seemed barely conscious during the case.

2 hours ago, basiltherat said:

Don King objects to being brought into this fugazi mess!

Bwahahaha!

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

I came across this when I was looking for something else:

I haven't watched it yet and don't know when it happened so I can't vouch for anything being said.

Off to catch the boiling water case. I am sure I am going to be very confused by it.

I made it halfway through this hour long video. Yawn. Maybe she ramped up later but I wasn't going to waste more time to find out.

@stewedsquash, I'll be interested to hear if things pick up after the halfway point. Maybe I've seen so many JJ interviews that it seemed boring to me, but I was also distracted by movement in the audience. I felt, maybe incorrectly, that they were bored. Hope I am wrong. Thank you for sharing the video! 

23 hours ago, DoctorK said:

My favorite part was when JJ caught her flat footed about telling the producer that she had 600 guests - "No, really, I never said that". JJ: we can bring the producer you talked to in to testify. Unashamedly backtracking without a blink, we get "I did say 600 guests". Then in the halterview she was indignant and self righteous. What an unrepentant liar and cheat, no self respecting human would be so callous about it.

ETA: I may be mixing up plaintiffs here, I was referring to the quinceanera Mom. Ooops, senior moment.

When my daughter the wedding planner got married, her count was 110 guests including the wedding party. She bumped it up to 115 just in case somebody showed up with a Plus One (aka uninvited date). At the reception, the caterers counted every person and their count was 118, so we willingly paid for those three additional guests. I cannot imagine how Quince Barata Mamacita (aka 15 Cheap Ass Mama) thought she was going to hide 100 additional guests. And how tacky are you to pile all the beer cans on a spare table just so you can recycle them? Get a cardboard box and line it with a plastic garbage bag, lady! 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I ordered a cup of tea at work one day. When I took the cup from the server's hand, I knocked it over and spilled the water on my hand. The pain was excruciating and as I pulled my wedding rings off my swelling finger, the flesh came off with it. I had to go to the emergency room but it never occured to me to sue the restaurant because I spilled hot water on myself. Maybe I'm just not getting it. Wouldn't be the first time!

If only everyone were as perfect as you, the world would be such a better place and there'd be no Judge Judy!

1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

Oh, ffs.  Judge Judy just said that a man couldn't have run a red light because he had three kids in his car, so it had to have been the other driver's fault.

WHAT?!  She has turned into a real loon.

• Love 2
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 5:02 PM, AngelaHunter said:

Considering the kinds of beastly people we see on court shows who are in "home health care" I'm pretty sure no one wants to be in need of their services. Scary.

I was a home hospice CNA for many years and I did it for the love of the vocation. One time I, uh, lingered at the copy machine and saw some billing submissions. Our CNAs were being paid $10-$13 hourly while the agency was billing $35-$45 hourly. The doctor visited every 6 months to re-certify that care was needed; the nurses visited once or twice a week until death watch began and then they visited daily. The CNAs are the ones who (are supposed to) work their guts out 24/7 to ensure that patients are safe, clean, hydrated, fed, comfortable, etc.  Cleaning up after and bathing those in adult diapers is surely worth more to society than what is paid in wages to those who do the cleaning and bathing! The Profit Motive Has No Place In Health Care as far as I am concerned. I am still in shock over the RN billing, which was $140 hourly.  I cringe every time I see a cretin CNA on TV representing a meaningful vocation but, sadly, you get what you are willing to pay for.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Oh, ffs.  Judge Judy just said that a man couldn't have run a red light because he had three kids in his car, so it had to have been the other driver's fault.

Sheesh. That would never have stopped my paternal DNA contributor.

Def: "I'm a musician."

Brief exchange about how he wasn't making any money at it.

JJ: "And how did you support yourself?"

Def: "I was focusing full time on my music."

And JJ didn't call him on the non-answer. Doesn't she know why we watch her?

• Love 4
11 hours ago, shksabelle said:

Anyone else want to slap the eyebrows off that obnoxious twit?

Yes! She was a real loon. She dated that guy for a week and immediately claimed she was pregnant. Then stalked his ass all over town. Glad JJ awarded him the cost of having his keyed car repaired. Hope he moved, changed his cell number, bought a different car and maybe had some plastic surgery to change his looks. She's a bunny boiler, for sure.

• Love 6